PDA

View Full Version : Hibs/Hearts Fan base

Ringothedog
27-04-2014, 07:46 AM
I was reading an article yesterday regarding the fan base of Hibs and Hearts it gave it 2:1 in favour of them. I always thought that they had a larger support than us as they seem to "pull" more fans from the lothians i.e. mid and west than we do, but in Edinburgh I genuinely believe that we have more fans. If they do outnumber our fans by 2:1 it shows that our crowds stand up brilliantly compared to theirs, even more so due to the nature of their tainted recent successes.

Thoughts ?

CorrieHibs
27-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Can't see it being 2:1. That sounds like one of their deluded minds telling you!

Nakedmanoncrack
27-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Where was the 'article' because it is nonsense.

Scottie
27-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Does that mean we have a fan base of 200,000 ? :wink:

Waxy
27-04-2014, 07:54 AM
It's never 2:1 more like 12:11

lucky
27-04-2014, 07:54 AM
They come out with crap like that all the time. They have bigger support but only just.

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Of course it's right, when you have whole families that are intimately related it stands to reason that fan numbers will be swelled.

eggbamyasi
27-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Scouse hibee your 100% correct fact . I agree . I defo read that online somewhere hehe

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thecat23
27-04-2014, 08:07 AM
They do have a larger support but it's closer than they like to think.

SkintHibby
27-04-2014, 08:10 AM
For every 11 Jambos out there, there are 10 Hibees. End of.

Ringothedog
27-04-2014, 08:12 AM

It is in a book called : Edinburgh a cultural and literary history by a guy called Donald Campbell. I am not saying I agree with him. I think it is nearer to 3:2

SkintHibby
27-04-2014, 08:15 AM
3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

The Hibs support holds up well considering Hearts are Edinburghs establishment team and Edinburgh is a presbyterian city.

The Sea-gull
27-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Hearts certainly have generally had a couple of thousand more going through the gates every other week in the last 25 years or so. This would suggest to me they have more fans. There is no way anyone could argue that hearts are not the better supported team but the gap in support numbers is nowhere near as big as some yams would have you believe.

Phil D. Rolls
27-04-2014, 08:36 AM
It is in a book called : Edinburgh a cultural and literary history by a guy called Donald Campbell. I am not saying I agree with him. I think it is nearer to 3:2

Be interesting to know what his sources are. I prefer the 11:10 ratio.

3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

The Hibs support holds up well considering Hearts are Edinburghs establishment team and Edinburgh is a presbyterian city.

A balanced post, it has a chip on both shoulders.

Ringothedog
27-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Hearts certainly have generally had a couple of thousand more going through the gates every other week in the last 25 years or so. This would suggest to me they have more fans. There is no way anyone could argue that hearts are not the better supported team but the gap in support numbers is nowhere near as big as some yams would have you believe.

I would agree with you. I think we have slightly more in Edinburgh but they pull big time from west and Midlothian. Hence the 3:2 although it might be closer to 4:3

Ronniekirk
27-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Agree but when viewers switch on today and see all the empty seats at our end ,we do ourselves no Favours .So come on anyone that can still get along today do so and play your part

Islington Hibs
27-04-2014, 08:46 AM

If you look at gates since the war the Hearts have had slightly bigger crowds on average- 54-46. However the team doing best generally gets most. If Hibs had dominated (without the doping) in the way Hearts have over the last 20 years or so we would have had the better gates I think. Both clubs have big latent supports and there is not much between them, if both are going well. Recent Cup finals, European games etc do show, that despite repeated failure, we have a strong base too and people are prepared to come out if they are entertained and the team is doing well.

I suspect the last 20 years has had a bit of an impact and it strikes me quite a lot of our support is 40+ (may be its who I know!). Would be interested in others views if they also think our fan base is ageing?

capitals_finest
27-04-2014, 08:48 AM
3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

I think it's hard to argue religion and class comes into it. The geography of where we are brought up is the overriding factor outside family ties. The east and north of the city is mainly hibs while the west and lothians is mainly hearts.

12/11 would be about right, but hearts have been more successful in recent times so that could account for the slight difference.

lyonhibs
27-04-2014, 08:52 AM
3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

Re your last phrase, are you for real? This is 2014, not the era of the Highland clearances. Edinburgh is a multi cultural city with no real religious slant to it at all IMO

Phil D. Rolls
27-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Agree but when viewers switch on today and see all the empty seats at our end ,we do ourselves no Favours .So come on anyone that can still get along today do so and play your part

No worries mate, any chance you could give me a lift? I'll be at the top of Muirhouse Green from 11:30.

Hibercelona
27-04-2014, 08:58 AM
For every 11 Jambos out there, there are 10 Hibees. End of.

:agree:

For every 99 jambo fingers, there's 100 Hibs fingers.

The Sea-gull
27-04-2014, 08:58 AM
If you look at gates since the war the Hearts have had slightly bigger crowds on average- 54-46. However the team doing best generally gets most. If Hibs had dominated (without the doping) in the way Hearts have over the last 20 years or so we would have had the better gates I think. Both clubs have big latent supports and there is not much between them, if both are going well. Recent Cup finals, European games etc do show, that despite repeated failure, we have a strong base too and people are prepared to come out if they are entertained and the team is doing well.

I suspect the last 20 years has had a bit of an impact and it strikes me quite a lot of our support is 40+ (may be its who I know!). Would be interested in others views if they also think our fan base is ageing?

Agree with what you say here.

heretoday
27-04-2014, 09:00 AM
It's all nonsense. Surveys and stuff are just crap. Reality is that there are just as many Hibees as Jam Tarts in the world.

sbell1875
27-04-2014, 09:00 AM
I'd argue the supports are roughly the same in total they just have more people willing to attend matches.

rcarter1
27-04-2014, 09:04 AM
I would agree with you. I think we have slightly more in Edinburgh but they pull big time from west and Midlothian. Hence the 3:2 although it might be closer to 4:3

I once calculated the ratio of Hibs/Hearts attendances for each year since the 50s. I can't remember the actual number but it suggested Hearts attendances were on average 12-15% higher than Hibs. Of course attendance figures can be fiddled, and it isn't a perfect measure anyway, but that would indicate closer to 9:8.

For what its worth I did the same with Rangers and Celtic, and the difference between Celtic and Rangers was more like 4:3 or something, so Hibs and Hearts are closer in size that the Old Firm are to each other (IMO).

Jambos live in dream world. Its is up to us to give them a beating so fierce, that they come back to reality. Its the polite thing to do! :yw:

J-C
27-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Last season's average attendances.............Hearts 13225............Hibs 10307

Looking back to season 06/07................Hearts 16937...................Hibs 14587

Around 2-3000 more on average, not really that much in the grand scheme of things.

Bristolhibby
27-04-2014, 09:09 AM

Well my brother and about 9 stags from Bath will be in the East today, cheering on the Hibees.

J

Don Giovanni
27-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Of course it's right, when you have whole families that are intimately related it stands to reason that fan numbers will be swelled.

Indeed. I strongly suspect that the gullible simpleton who dreamt up this ridiculous statistic did not conduct a skull count of all Hibs and Hearts fans.

Rather, the naive ****forbrains probably asked a sample population of fans. Upon asking each Hearts fan how many Jambos he knows he'll have received a glaikit stare (of several minutes) before the stupefied Yam drawls "uh... other than me, there's uh... my brother... my Da... my Uncle... and uh... my Granda".

Unfortunately for our statistically illiterate friend, the "brother, father, uncle and grandfather" quoted by said tramp is likely to be the same individual.

Simple mistake to make, I suppose, if you're not acquainted with Yam cultures & traditions.

Phil D. Rolls
27-04-2014, 09:10 AM
I once calculated the ratio of Hibs/Hearts attendances for each year since the 50s. I can't remember the actual number but it suggested Hearts attendances were on average 12-15% higher than Hibs. Of course attendance figures can be fiddled, and it isn't a perfect measure anyway, but that would indicate closer to 9:8.

For what its worth I did the same with Rangers and Celtic, and the difference between Celtic and Rangers was more like 4:3 or something, so Hibs and Hearts are closer in size that the Old Firm are to each other (IMO).

Jambos live in dream world. Its is up to us to give them a beating so fierce, that they come back to reality. Its the polite thing to do! :yw:

Hearts attendances include every season ticket holder, even the ones that didn't go to the game.

Don Giovanni
27-04-2014, 09:11 AM
3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

WTF is a "presbyterian city"?

The Falcon
27-04-2014, 09:12 AM

Best answer! :thumbsup:

rcarter1
27-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Keith_M
27-04-2014, 09:19 AM
My uninformed opinion would suggest that the potential of the two clubs is roughly the same, maybe with a slight edge to one club or the other.

The last twenty years or so of now unpaid for (relative) success of Hearts has given them larger crowds over that time. How much larger is hard to quantify, on account of the fact that their lying even extends to the number of fans they have attending matches.

If Hibs were the more successful for the next ten years (speaking theoretically only), I'm confident we would have larger crowds than them.

I remember being at a Scottish Cup replay againt Dundee United in the early 80s when Hearts were playing at home in the First Division on the same night. Hibs had 14,000 at ER and they had 1,500 at Tynecastle. That's what happened to their fan base the last time they were really cr*p.

Phil D. Rolls
27-04-2014, 09:21 AM
My uninformed opinion would suggest that the potential of the two clubs is roughly the same, maybe with a slight edge to one club or the other.

The last twenty years or so of now unpaid for (relative) success of Hearts has given them larger crowds over that time. How much larger is hard to quantify, on account of the fact that their lying even extends to the number of fans they have attending matches.

If Hibs were the more successful for the next ten years (speaking theoretically only), I'm confident we would have larger crowds than them.

I remember being at a Scottish Cup replay againt Dundee United in the early 80s when Hearts were playing at home in the First Division on the same night. Hibs had 14,000 at ER and they had 1,500 at Tynecastle. That's what happened to their fan base the last time they were really cr*p.

Theyll never concede higher attendances to us. That's why they've been fiddling the figures for years.

Waxy
27-04-2014, 09:21 AM

It's a city full of presbyterians.

Billy Whizz
27-04-2014, 09:23 AM
I think its all about have success over a period of time. Dundee used to be the top team in their city by a long way, you couldn't say that now

Waxy
27-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Haven't we got a higher record ground attendance? 65,000 or something? Though it was against them.

Phil D. Rolls
27-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Is Presbyterian a way of saying Protestant, without starting a flag debate?

IMO, this assumption that religion dictates the team you follow belongs 30 miles west of Edinburgh. It's offensive in the extreme.

emerald green
27-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Theyll never concede higher attendances to us. That's why they've been fiddling the figures for years.

:agree: That's where some of their "big team" "wee team" bollocks comes from. I remember very well when their attendances were down as low as 3/4,000, and so do they.

Don Giovanni
27-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Very good.

Presbyterians only, no person of other belief shall enter the city?
Can you give us a current example of one of these cities?

Keith_M
27-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Haven't we got a higher record ground attendance? 65,000 or something? Though it was against them.

We hold the record for the highest attendance at a single game, as you mentioned, and also the record for average attendance over a season. Hibs are the only club outside the Old Firm to have broken the 30k barrier for average attendance.

1951/52: Avg Att, 31,567

We also hold the record for lowest attendance snce the war, but let's not go into that :wink:

connerg
27-04-2014, 09:36 AM

Yes, we have a higher record attendance and a bigger stadium now, always have had. If the yams have this so called " biggest support outside the OF " then why have they never built a stadium to cope with it.

Bristolhibby
27-04-2014, 09:37 AM

IMO, this assumption that religion dictates the team you follow belongs 30 miles west of Edinburgh. It's offensive in the extreme.

I don't think it does now, but in the beginning / early 20th Century it would have. That in turn gives you the family connection to Hibs.

I'm 3rd generation Hibs fan none of them are/were Catholic. I was Christened CofS (actually an atheist, but I didn't have much say in my Christening).

J

connerg
27-04-2014, 09:37 AM
We hold the record for the highest attendance at a single game, as you mentioned, and also the record for average attendance over a season. Hibs are the only club outside the Old Firm to have broken the 30k barrier for average attendance.

1951/52: Avg Att, 31,567

We also hold the record for lowest attendance snce the war, but let's not go into that :wink::top marks You beat me to it.

Keith_M
27-04-2014, 09:42 AM
As we are discussing backgrounds....

My family's background, on my father's side, are strictly East Lothian, CofS, Church Elders, Masonic handshakes all round....and almost to a man Hibs fans.

I had an uncle, on my mother's side, whos family were all dyed in the wool Edinburgh Jambos and regular RC church goers with an Irish surname.

Go figure :wink:

KuqiKuqiCoo
27-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Surely it's 5:1?

Phil D. Rolls
27-04-2014, 09:43 AM
I don't think it does now, but in the beginning / early 20th Century it would have. That in turn gives you the family connection to Hibs.

I'm 3rd generation Hibs fan none of them are/were Catholic. I was Christened CofS (actually an atheist, but I didn't have much say in my Christening).

J

Yes, over 100 years ago it was relevant. But there's been long enough for it to become irrelevant, and it has. To most. Some people pursue the agenda to back up their theories about their personal inadequacies - others are just plain mental.

Keith_M
27-04-2014, 09:44 AM
surely it's 5:1?

ltyf

Phil D. Rolls
27-04-2014, 09:44 AM
As we are discussing backgrounds....

My family's background, on my father's side, are strictly East Lothian, CofS, Church Elders, Masonic handshakes all round....and almost to a man Hibs fans.

I had an uncle, on my mother's side, whos family were all dyed in the wool Edinburgh Jambos and regular RC church goers with an Irish surname.

Go figure :wink:

So which ones were the Presbyterians?

Keith_M
27-04-2014, 09:51 AM
So which ones were the Presbyterians?

Is it only yir rolls that are filled but no yir heid?

:na na:

CorrieHibs
27-04-2014, 09:54 AM

Protestant city

Albanian Hibs
27-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Ltyf

emerald green
27-04-2014, 09:58 AM

gtf

Phil D. Rolls
27-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Is it only yir rolls that are filled but no yir heid?

:na na:

Ive not got any problem with Presbyterians, but see those Calvinists, they get right on my nipples.

HH81
27-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Oooooooo get you, quick go tell your online friends you annoyed the hibs on derby day.

My first thought this morning was to go onto their site and show them who is boss too, honest. :boo hoo:

Waxy
27-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Very good.

No i can't

Waxy
27-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Just think. This time next year you'll be on the Dumbarton website.

judas
27-04-2014, 10:21 AM
13:10 in Hearts favour I think.

Michael
27-04-2014, 10:24 AM
To be honest, considering they won the champions league a few years ago we're doing okay.

blackpoolhibs
27-04-2014, 10:26 AM
I grew up when we were more successful than them, our crowds were bigger. The same thing would happen again if the clowns running our club could get it right.

EdinMike
27-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Its actually 11:33...

Who asked for the time ?!

Oh 11:34..

HH81
27-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Its actually 11:33...

Who asked for the time ?!

Oh 11:34..

Lies it's 06:35:agree:

jdships
27-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Like all "polls" it depends where you set your parameters .
In 1948 I started work in Robb's shipyard and my first Journeyman was a Jambo from Restalrig !
Looking back I would say , given I am only referring to one department, that it was near enough 50/50.
There are still instances where my son and myself are asked when meeting people at a function " So your a Hibby , you an RC then ? ? "
By the same token my two neighbours are both ST holding Jambo's and make it quite clear they are " Orange"

For me it should not matter a jot : just let football speak for itself and to h..l with religion :greengrin

SkintHibby
27-04-2014, 11:24 AM
My comment about presbyterian city is not me trying to be controversial. I am merely stating that the overwhelming majority of people in Edinburgh are Church of Scotland.

Anyone who believes Hearts do not have an anti catholic element to their support is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Hibrandenburg
27-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I was reading an article yesterday regarding the fan base of Hibs and Hearts it gave it 2:1 in favour of them. I always thought that they had a larger support than us as they seem to "pull" more fans from the lothians i.e. mid and west than we do, but in Edinburgh I genuinely believe that we have more fans. If they do outnumber our fans by 2:1 it shows that our crowds stand up brilliantly compared to theirs, even more so due to the nature of their tainted recent successes.

Thoughts ?

Their support is so big that sickbag can't cope with the numbers, that's why so many spill over onto here. :wink:

givescotlandfreedom
27-04-2014, 02:11 PM
The charity thieves couldn't get anywhere near to selling out two semi finals in their own city with reduced prices. Laughable claim that number

onionman
27-04-2014, 06:15 PM
:agree:

For every 99 jambo fingers, there's 100 Hibs fingers.

For every 99 Jambo fingers there a hand.

Deansy
28-04-2014, 03:07 AM
After a couple of seasons of 'playing within their means', their support will revert back to a more true, realistic number - first time in 30+ years.

GreenLake
28-04-2014, 03:25 AM
3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

They are the establishment team but I think the religious significance has faded away. It's more about government, business and power seekers self-adulating. F$%^ all of these parasites anyway. There will always be a Hibs and there will always be Hibee supporters in numbers to remind the Yams of their corrupt and fraudulent ways. :flag:

AndyM_1875
28-04-2014, 08:02 AM
My comment about presbyterian city is not me trying to be controversial. I am merely stating that the overwhelming majority of people in Edinburgh are Church of Scotland.

Anyone who believes Hearts do not have an anti catholic element to their support is living in cloud cuckoo land.

And I'd say that's wrong.
The overwhelming majority of people in the city do not attend churches of any denomination at all.

Calum68
28-04-2014, 09:55 AM
I'd rather we rise above the religion discussion, it means nothing. Leave all that nonsense to the Rangers and Celtic. We are better than that. GGTTH

Kato
28-04-2014, 06:26 PM
It's more about government, business and power seekers self-adulating. F$%^ all of these parasites anyway.

Correct, even if religion has died off a bit doesn't mean there isn't a residue of cultural bigotry around, especially as it used to be at it's strongest in the areas you mention. The "proud" jamtarts (who everyone is supposed to feel sorry for (c.MSM)) still like to sing about how they'd like to kill fenians after all.

One Day
28-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Agreed

Kato
28-04-2014, 07:02 PM
And I'd say that's wrong.
The overwhelming majority of people in the city do not attend churches of any denomination at all.

But a lot people still see themselves as culturally part of their family's religious group, even if they don't attend every Sunday.

I very much doubt all the religious bigots who follow Rangers go anywhere near a church at any time but their bias, and that of many who aren't full on bigots, will go with their cultural roots.

Ringothedog
28-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Their support is so big that sickbag can't cope with the numbers, that's why so many spill over onto here. :wink:

Hopefully not a dig at me as you will find I am very much a hibs man. 're the rest of your comment you are spot on there are to many undercover and not so subtle yams on this site.

TRC
28-04-2014, 07:38 PM
I went to high school in bruntsfield and it was 85% yams then 10% hibs 5% an other so that took in quite a big part of the city on the southside and then buckstone morningside. Of course that was my year so can't really say about others.

Carheenlea
28-04-2014, 07:40 PM
The first time I ever heard the word "fenian", it was directed towards me from a much older Hearts supporter in my home town. Being of primary school age I needed to consult a dictionary to find out what it actually meant.
Where I live, there are probably more Hearts fans than Hibs. What is a definate fact though is that 99% of them are total bell-ends as anyone from my home town will testify.

Ringothedog
28-04-2014, 07:45 PM
My primary school was 90% hibs, my secondary(boroughmuir) was about 3:1 in favour of them.

AndyM_1875
28-04-2014, 07:47 PM
But a lot people still see themselves as culturally part of their family's religious group, even if they don't attend every Sunday.

I very much doubt all the religious bigots who follow Rangers go anywhere near a church at any time but their bias, and that of many who aren't full on bigots, will go with their cultural roots.

I'd like to think we're a bit more evolved in Edinburgh than than your average common garden Rangers/Celtic type.
My family is a mix historically of CoS & Catholics but religion does not play any part in my life and i do not see either historic "culture" representing me.

iwasthere1972
28-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Where I live it's almost all Hibs fans. :thumbsup:

Kato
28-04-2014, 07:55 PM
I'd like to think we're a bit more evolved in Edinburgh than than your average common garden Rangers/Celtic type.

"We" don't as many bigots, but to deny they don't exist is a bit daft, no?

My family is a mix historically of CoS & Catholics but religion does not play any part in my life and i do not see either historic "culture" representing me.

That's you personal experience. Everybody has their own personal experience.

jdships
28-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Interesting decent discussion !!
I was married in CofS nearly 55 years ago and as life moved on and I travelled the world I became more and more disinchanted with religion until around 1975/80 became " Agnostic" ( think that's the word :greengrin )

I have friends , male/female , who are church goers and there is still this little thread of " Wouldn't want my bairn to marry a XXXXXX "
I keep in touch with a number of ex footballers and they almost all say the same thing
" If you want bigotry stay west of Harthill ", while making the point there is very little in England

I like to think that over all the years I have attended at ER I can count on one hand the number of " Sectarian incidents " I have witnessed involving Hibs fans

Long may it stay that way :flag:

Pete
28-04-2014, 08:04 PM
I can't decide if it's 5/6 or 10/12 in their favour.

It doesn't matter either way as it's been scientifically proven with facts that hibs fans are better lovers.

TRC
28-04-2014, 08:04 PM
My primary school was 90% hibs, my secondary(boroughmuir) was about 3:1 in favour of them.

Got worse then!

Pretty Boy
28-04-2014, 08:08 PM
The population of Edinburgh is about 480 000.

If the split of fans was 479 999:1 then I'd be both delighted and proud to be the 1.

They have a few more fans, it makes them feel important and spout the big team pish. Good for them. Still tramps.

Franck Stanton
28-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Very "Yamoid" thread imo. After all, they are the nutcases who are fixated with crowd numbers.

emerald green
28-04-2014, 08:19 PM

I'm afraid there are lots of Rangers/Celtic "supporters" in Edinburgh. They are often the worst type.

erin go bragh
28-04-2014, 08:30 PM
We took close to 40000 to Hampden 2004 livi final which was reported as the largest any team had since Hampden was developed . Met loads of fellow Hibbys on holiday but very few pink tramps .

Ggtth

Kato
28-04-2014, 08:35 PM
I think we actually have a larger fan base but they have a larger "hard core". Even then their hard core is an unknown as they never publish the attendance but go on tickets sold and who knows how they would have been if The Pie-Man/Romanov hadn't swindled all that cash on them.

DH1875
29-04-2014, 08:14 AM
We took close to 40000 to Hampden 2004 livi final which was reported as the largest any team had since Hampden was developed . Met loads of fellow Hibbys on holiday but very few pink tramps .

Ggtth

Wonder what the ratio would be if we spread it out across the country. Could also be argued that we have a large expat fan base as well.

Keith_M
29-04-2014, 10:40 AM
There was a survey a few years back that identified Edinburgh, in cities with more than one club, as being the most distinctly geographically divided. From North to South East, the majority supported Hibs and the North West to South had a majority of Hearts fans.

I actually think you could apply the same to East Lothian (Hibs) and Mid/West Lothian (Hearts). That kinda puts paid to any lie that outsiders have about being divided along religious lines, like the ars* cheeks in the west.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Couldn't care if they have slightly more fans. The most important thing is, that the best fans are Hibs fans. Always has been and always will be!

Killiehibbie
29-04-2014, 10:46 AM
I must be lucky about 5:1 Hibs when I was at school and i've met about 12 Ayrshire Hibbies compared to 2 of them.

Keith_M
29-04-2014, 02:06 PM
I must be lucky about 5:1 Hibs when I was at school and i've met about 12 Ayrshire Hibbies compared to 2 of them.

Careful, somebody got launched for posting that on Sunday.

:wink:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Careful, somebody got launched for posting that on Sunday.

Did they actually get banned? :faf:

--------
29-04-2014, 02:51 PM
WTF is a "Presbyterian city"?

Not Edinburgh. Maybe Geneva around 1560, but not even there since Calvin dropped off his twig.

It's a city full of Presbyterians.

Seventh Circle of Hell, then, I take it. :devil:

No - Presbyterians are a special sort of Protestant. The sort I frequently wish I wasn't.

Absolutely. And totally unsupported by any serious research. My family - 3 generations of Hibees, the first 2 Presbyterians, the last one a backslider.

Very good.

You'd better believe it. When the Presbyterian Revolution comes all youse heretics and backsliders are up against the wall RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

Actually, there ARE no current examples - really don't think there ever were, and Edinburgh certainly never was one.

All my life I've been told that while Hearts have the bigger support of the two teams, that balance is about 5:4 in their favour. The figure fluctuates depending on how the teams are doing, of course.

In Edinburgh and the Lothians as I grew up religion had little or nothing to do with football, and blanket stereotyping of people and cities and communities does nothing but harm to them. Edinburgh has an incredibly rich and colourful history, very badly served by amateur historians like Donald Campbell.

SkintHibby
29-04-2014, 02:55 PM
After a couple of seasons of 'playing within their means', their support will revert back to a more true, realistic number - first time in 30+ years.

They won't though. They'll go mad with money again (they don't know any other way) and when it goes tits up they'll say it was "worth it". Again.

Keith_M
29-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Did they actually get banned? :faf:

TBF, there was a bit more to it than that, but mentioning 'those numbers' didn't help

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-04-2014, 04:38 PM
TBF, there was a bit more to it than that, but mentioning 'those numbers' didn't help

Oh, I see...

LancashireHibby
29-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Leigh is the place to be. Know of at least 9 Hibs fans, and I've only ever known of one Jambo, which ranks them alongside Kilmarnock and East Stirling.

weonlywon6-2
29-04-2014, 08:39 PM
The largest attendance at tynie since the 90s is when hibs played there v aberdeen in a semi final.
We took bigger supports to hampden for the Dunfermline and Killie cup finals,we took the largest support outside celtic to ibrox in a scottish cup game,now please remind me again ,whos bigger ???