PDA

View Full Version : "Call me what you like but don't question my commitment..."

coco22
26-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Michael Nelson is hurting that his commitment has come into question (Evening News). Poor wee man. Time to step up then and put in a rock of a performance.

I don't think anyone goes out there to do anything other than his best but morale and positivity contribute to commitment to and this is clearly missing. I do have a feeling that we will be mightily up for the fight tomorrow as it goes.

The Falcon
26-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Michael Nelson is hurting that his commitment has come into question (Evening News). Poor wee man. Time to step up then and put in a rock of a performance.

I don't think anyone goes out there to do anything other than his best but morale and positivity contribute to commitment to and this is clearly missing. I do have a feeling that we will be mightily up for the fight tomorrow as it goes.

Has to be controlled though.

lyonhibs
26-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Without addressing his level of commitment, I'd rather question his claim to be a legitimate football player. Slower than a week in jail, vying with McGivern as the worst distributor of a ball at ER at the moment and not even that commanding in the air - see the 1st goal against St Mirren last week.

Unless we have Baresi re-born in the U20's we really are rooked in defence.

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Nelson, one minute he was a "no nonsense centre half, just what we have been looking for" the next....................... give the guy a break, he is what he is or we wouldn't have been able to get him!

Viva_Palmeiras
26-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Nelson, one minute he was a "no nonsense centre half, just what we have been looking for" the next....................... give the guy a break, he is what he is or we wouldn't have been able to get him!

Correct we talk about players being Jekyll and Hyde well perhaps the enigmatic nature of our support has shades of J & H within it too?

Anyone who's worked for someone with seemingly random mood swings will tell you what that's like and whether it's likely to improve performance or not...

Onion
26-04-2014, 11:22 AM

For the first 10 mins until they realise that Hearts are not going to roll over, and then the heads go down and it's "poor wee us". Talk is cheap and we've heard it all season. It's what you o on the pitch that matters and there's nothing to suggest that this team will all of a sudden gel into a hardened, determined, scoring side.

More cheap talk from Butcher here ....

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/butcher-hibs-have-never-been-more-together-1-3389099

matty_f
26-04-2014, 11:25 AM
There is so much hate for Hibs right now.

Hibercelona
26-04-2014, 11:36 AM

I'd say that with the amount of times they've let us down, they must hate the fans more.

Elephant Stone
26-04-2014, 11:44 AM
I'd say that with the amount of times they've let us down, they must hate the fans more.

Aye, that'll be it.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-04-2014, 11:48 AM

We can (and seem) to go round in circles on that one. The record is broken and repeating.

As the only constant in the equation I think we need to look beyond this kind of thinking because the future of our club is at stake.

matty_f
26-04-2014, 11:56 AM
i'd say that with the amount of times they've let us down, they must hate the fans more.

ffs.

ALF TUPPER
26-04-2014, 12:00 PM

Aye. Right enuff !

Ronniekirk
26-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Hate is the wrong word IMO .But lots of fans who love the club and want to be coming along as often as possible to watch their team have been continually disillusioned over the last number of years and are fed up with the lack of product on offer and the ineptitude and in effectiveness of the Board to effect positive Leadership and have a vision that drives the club forward We have been going backwards where it really counts ,the team on the pitch . That's down to picking poor managers who in turn waste money on poor players and don't stay around to put in place good scouting infrastructure .
So fans are turning there back on the club and not going to games and others are so frustrated at what they are continuing to witness on the park they get on the teams and players back This doesn't help anyone . But when we turn up in large numbers it doesn't help iether .
For a club like Hibs to have allowed itself to get into the position we are in with no Sevco and weakened Hearts is a serious concern to those with deep affection for the club. Negative attitudes are hardening because we show no sign that we look capable of getting out of the poor run of form we are in .thats not down to us .
I will continue to go and support the Team but we need to have higher aspirations and a Board that can make these happen This is a pivotal moment in our History and the Board need to recognise this .
Defeat tomorrow would be more than a bitter pill to swallow and would further plunge the club into more media headlines of crises etc .
We need strong characters just now but our signing policy has left us short of that type of player at the very time we most need them .
We can only increase the support again if the Team Radically improves as too many have found other things to do and won't just turn up to watch woefull displays like last week .that is the sad reality of what the Board have presided over and they now need to accept the challenge to restore us to where we should be .
In hindsight we might as well of left Fenlon in charge till end of season and his contract was up and we could of changed managers then as don't think even he would of taken us down to this level .But his style of football was boring and we wanted change .we got it and look where we are .
We need to know if we scrape out this mess ,what the Board are going to do to back T B. In summer Transfer Market and get his first choice targets or we will loose moresupport

We all thought that T B was decent appointment so we need to see this season through and back him and Team but at same time express our concern to the Board that we we have been taken for granted for too long now and this is no longer a given .
But now just repeating what's been said many times on here it's time for Positive Action or it will be more of the same in the future

scuttle
26-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Should be committed for thinking hes a football player

Diclonius
26-04-2014, 12:11 PM

There's a point at which the fans are subjected to one ****ing harrowing performance too many and crack. This is it.

Hibs have had plenty chances to get us back on side and they haven't bothered their arse.

coco22
26-04-2014, 12:11 PM
We can (and seem) to go round in circles on that one. The record is broken and repeating.

As the only constant in the equation I think we need to look beyond this kind of thinking because the future of our club is at stake.

Totally correct but absolutely impossible to change. Sadly the only thing that will improve this is more attractive, exciting and successful football on the park. I think the club have tried (in vain) but gimics wwont work with hard core pessimists

hibsbollah
26-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Where Nelson is concerned, his commitment isnt his obvious problem, he's just a honking player.

Some others (step forward Liam Craig) are clearly not giving 100% and Williams was spot on to point it out.

rcarter1
26-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Where Nelson is concerned, his commitment isnt his obvious problem, he's just a honking player.

Some others (step forward Liam Craig) are clearly not giving 100% and Williams was spot on to point it out.

Craig is an enigma. If he isn't scoring goals, he seems to serve no real purpose. Strange one to watch.

RickyS
26-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Hate is the wrong word IMO .But lots of fans who love the club and want to be coming along as often as possible to watch their team have been continually disillusioned over the last number of years and are fed up with the lack of product on offer and the ineptitude and in effectiveness of the Board to effect positive Leadership and have a vision that drives the club forward We have been going backwards where it really counts ,the team on the pitch . That's down to picking poor managers who in turn waste money on poor players and don't stay around to put in place good scouting infrastructure .
So fans are turning there back on the club and not going to games and others are so frustrated at what they are continuing to witness on the park they get on the teams and players back This doesn't help anyone . But when we turn up in large numbers it doesn't help iether .
For a club like Hibs to have allowed itself to get into the position we are in with no Sevco and weakened Hearts is a serious concern to those with deep affection for the club. Negative attitudes are hardening because we show no sign that we look capable of getting out of the poor run of form we are in .thats not down to us .
I will continue to go and support the Team but we need to have higher aspirations and a Board that can make these happen This is a pivotal moment in our History and the Board need to recognise this .
Defeat tomorrow would be more than a bitter pill to swallow and would further plunge the club into more media headlines of crises etc .
We need strong characters just now but our signing policy has left us short of that type of player at the very time we most need them .
We can only increase the support again if the Team Radically improves as too many have found other things to do and won't just turn up to watch woefull displays like last week .that is the sad reality of what the Board have presided over and they now need to accept the challenge to restore us to where we should be .
In hindsight we might as well of left Fenlon in charge till end of season and his contract was up and we could of changed managers then as don't think even he would of taken us down to this level .But his style of football was boring and we wanted change .we got it and look where we are .
We need to know if we scrape out this mess ,what the Board are going to do to back T B. In summer Transfer Market and get his first choice targets or we will loose moresupport

We all thought that T B was decent appointment so we need to see this season through and back him and Team but at same time express our concern to the Board that we we have been taken for granted for too long now and this is no longer a given .
But now just repeating what's been said many times on here it's time for Positive Action or it will be more of the same in the future

spot on mate:top marks

Lago
26-04-2014, 12:40 PM
What a silly silly post.

NOLA
26-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Don't know about hate but plenty of anger and exasperation, its up to the players to sort themselves not the fans/supporters

snooky
26-04-2014, 01:05 PM

x2 :agree:

Ricky Bobby
26-04-2014, 01:13 PM
To any of our players looking in. Time to quit feeling sorry for yourselves and grow a pair

frazeHFC
26-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Why is this in the papers? If he had a problem with what Williams said then discuss it on the training field. Clubs such a mess, embarrassing at times.

s.a.m
26-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Why is this in the papers? If he had a problem with what Williams said then discuss it on the training field. Clubs such a mess, embarrassing at times.

To be fair, you could say the same about Williams talking to the papers rather than discussing it on the training field......

matty_f
26-04-2014, 01:30 PM

He's not complaining about Williams' comments, IMHO. When I read the article it's the criticism from fans that he's not committed that he feels is unjustified.

I don't think it's embarrassing at all. Our results are embarrassing, and some of - in fact, a lot of - our performances have been embarrassing, but that article shows me a player that knows his limitations but wants to do better and is taking responsibility for it.

Yet, the response from here could have been summed up by a giant "F*** off, Nelson".

His attitude there is exactly what we should be looking for, an experienced player wanting to show he's committed and wanting to take responsibility for making things better. I'm sure he's been trying that already, hopefully others in the team will follow suit.

As for the hate about Hibs comment, and subsequent responses, all the noises coming out of the club have been about appreciating where we are and accepting that it's not good enough, and that they want to turn it around. Unfortunately for Hibs, the first people to shoot that down are Hibs fans.

Yes, they've let us down - the fans cannot take any criticism for last weekend's result. We turned up in great numbers and backed the players, and we got less than 20 seconds of respite from the let-down before it was back to the mood-sapping performance.

But it's depressing reading on here when every single thread is turned into post after post of Hibs-bashing, as if we don't know that we're pish, that we're annoyed that the players haven't won games, that the manager isn't getting results, and that Rod Petrie and STF have us cruising headlong into apathy and taking the club backwards.

Can we not get to a point where we look at something like this article and take it for what it is, a player hurt by what's happening and what we're saying about him with a point to prove to us - and crucially a desire and willingness to recognise his part in changing our opinion. Then can we give the guy our support to actually go and do that?

green day
26-04-2014, 01:34 PM
He's not complaining about Williams' comments, IMHO. When I read the article it's the criticism from fans that he's not committed that he feels is unjustified.

I don't think it's embarrassing at all. Our results are embarrassing, and some of - in fact, a lot of - our performances have been embarrassing, but that article shows me a player that knows his limitations but wants to do better and is taking responsibility for it.

Yet, the response from here could have been summed up by a giant "F*** off, Nelson".

His attitude there is exactly what we should be looking for, an experienced player wanting to show he's committed and wanting to take responsibility for making things better. I'm sure he's been trying that already, hopefully others in the team will follow suit.

As for the hate about Hibs comment, and subsequent responses, all the noises coming out of the club have been about appreciating where we are and accepting that it's not good enough, and that they want to turn it around. Unfortunately for Hibs, the first people to shoot that down are Hibs fans.

Yes, they've let us down - the fans cannot take any criticism for last weekend's result. We turned up in great numbers and backed the players, and we got less than 20 seconds of respite from the let-down before it was back to the mood-sapping performance.

But it's depressing reading on here when every single thread is turned into post after post of Hibs-bashing, as if we don't know that we're pish, that we're annoyed that the players haven't won games, that the manager isn't getting results, and that Rod Petrie and STF have us cruising headlong into apathy and taking the club backwards.

Can we not get to a point where we look at something like this article and take it for what it is, a player hurt by what's happening and what we're saying about him with a point to prove to us - and crucially a desire and willingness to recognise his part in changing our opinion. Then can we give the guy our support to actually go and do that?

Aye.......once they secure SPL status

Holmesdale Hibs
26-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Nelson has never struck me as the type that lacks commitment and the "no nonsense centre half" description when he first arrived is pretty accurate IMO. He was also quite quick to return when he broke his cheekbone(?) against Celtic where as a less committed player wouldn't be.

Not the best footballer in the world but that's hardly uncommon in SPL defenders. If he's hoofing the ball to the strikers then we should be questioning the tactics not Nelson's distribution.

I don't have an issue with what he's said and when the team is playing badly players a damned if they do and damned if they don't. Give the guy a break FFS.

Judas Iscariot
26-04-2014, 01:49 PM

You "defend" this bombscare but slate McPake to the high heavens? :confused:

coco22
26-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Wasnt intended to be a player / hibs bashing thread, just drawing attention to a new angle from another first teamer.

I also agree that it comes across as a bit unprofessional and disjointed for team mates to give differing stories in the media.

matty_f
26-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Wasnt intended to be a player / hibs bashing thread, just drawing attention to a new angle from another first teamer.

I also agree that it comes across as a bit unprofessional and disjointed for team mates to give differing stories in the media.

Sorry, I should have made the point that I didn't think your opening post was meant that way.:aok:

coco22
26-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Sorry, I should have made the point that I didn't think your opening post was meant that way.:aok:

Nae bother matty - many a thread has gone in an unintended direction recently!

weonlywon6-2
26-04-2014, 02:06 PM

Nelson,Thomson and Williams now been in the press,c`mon guys show what you have got

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2014, 02:38 PM
You "defend" this bombscare but slate McPake to the high heavens? :confused:

You're so dramatic, I never slated McPake to the high heavens at all! I disagreed with a 50% fit McPake being quoted as a better option than a 100% fit Nelson and still do!

Smartie
26-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I thought that Nelson's effort at winning the header vs Thomson at Paisley last week was half-arsed at best and set us off on the wrong foot for the day.

That said I thought it was totally out of character. I don't think he's the best player in the world by a long shot - he imo epitomises the "panic buy" culture that has infected our entire club having been bought to plug a gap in about the second week of the season where we inexplicably found ourselves with no fit centre-halves. His commitment cannot be questioned and whilst he let himself down last week there are many more occasions where he has demonstrated admirable commitment (the prompt return from nasty injury, the way he attacked the ball for his goal vs Motherwell etc).

I've been very encouraged by the comments coming out of Easter Road this week - can't argue with the sentiments Williams, Thomson or Nelson have expressed and I was pleased to hear Butcher endorse them too. Whilst the most important talking is done on the park, at least if you hear the odd noise that gives you a sense that things may improve then you'll cut them a bit of slack. It's been sadly lacking this season on the whole but much better this week imo.

Roll on tomorrow.....

emerald green
26-04-2014, 03:01 PM

I do not believe for a second that Hibs fans hate their club. It's more that they are angry and disappointed at being so badly let down so frequently. Is it any wonder that then gets reflected by some of the posts on these forums?

snooky
26-04-2014, 03:28 PM
I do not believe for a second that Hibs fans hate their club. It's more that they are angry and disappointed at being so badly let down so frequently. Is it any wonder that then gets reflected by some of the posts on these forums?

Hate isn't as bad as apathy. Hate means you still care.
FWIW, I'm slowly drifting into apathy these days.

Never mind, at least the masochists are having a ball. :wink:

emerald green
26-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Hate isn't as bad as apathy. Hate means you still care.
FWIW, I'm slowly drifting into apathy these days.

Never mind, at least the masochists are having a ball. :wink:

:agree:

Beefster
26-04-2014, 03:49 PM

Exactly. In fact, I think a lot of criticism of Nelson is prefaced by "He's committed but..." or something similar.

I could be committed to dating Olivia Munn but still be useless at actually achieving it.

Phil D. Rolls
26-04-2014, 04:16 PM
For the first 10 mins until they realise that Hearts are not going to roll over, and then the heads go down and it's "poor wee us". Talk is cheap and we've heard it all season. It's what you o on the pitch that matters and there's nothing to suggest that this team will all of a sudden gel into a hardened, determined, scoring side.

More cheap talk from Butcher here ....

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/butcher-hibs-have-never-been-more-together-1-3389099

Youre right. Lets just save everybody the bother and offer to swap places with the runners up in the championship.

You are as guilty of throwing in the towel, as the team, with talk like that. Must be easy to give up before you even try, that way you're never disappointed.

The Falcon
26-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Exactly. In fact, I think a lot of criticism of Nelson is prefaced by "He's committed but..." or something similar.

I could be committed to dating Olivia Munn but still be useless at actually achieving it.

Am I the only person who had to google her? :greengrin

number 27
26-04-2014, 04:54 PM

Dont think its about that, Williams and Nelson are pretty good friends I think.

Beefster
26-04-2014, 04:58 PM

I bet you're happy you did though!

Judas Iscariot
26-04-2014, 05:07 PM
You're so dramatic, I never slated McPake to the high heavens at all! I disagreed with a 50% fit McPake being quoted as a better option than a 100% fit Nelson and still do!

Nowt wrong with a bit drama on a Saturday :greengrin

Pretty sure you've been less than kind about JMcP in previous threads though also

VivaHiberņa
26-04-2014, 05:10 PM

I didn't have to but did anyway. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
26-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Nelson has always been committed but at his age he's now a junior player at best. He was not signed as a long term fix though.

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Nowt wrong with a bit drama on a Saturday :greengrin

Pretty sure you've been less than kind about JMcP in previous threads though also

Not me surely :greengrin

leggeto
26-04-2014, 05:20 PM
We can't question his commitment but we can definitely question his ability

truehibernian
26-04-2014, 05:25 PM
His nickname is a misnomer - Admiral suggests leadership ability yet the games I have watched he does not lead, does not drive the team forward, doesn't grab players around him and berate/encourage/lift/enthuse.......in short he is bang out of order for saying it's wrong to question his commitment. We have every right in my opinion - he is there to lead, there to use his experience and there to get into the players - he has not done that.

Sorry Michael if you are looking in but your head drops first when the goals go in - watch the games back.

leggeto
26-04-2014, 05:29 PM
His nickname is a misnomer - Admiral suggests leadership ability yet the games I have watched he does not lead, does not drive the team forward, doesn't grab players around him and berate/encourage/lift/enthuse.......in short he is bang out of order for saying it's wrong to question his commitment. We have every right in my opinion - he is there to lead, there to use his experience and there to get into the players - he has not done that.

Sorry Michael if you are looking in but your head drops first when the goals go in - watch the games back.

The last player we had in defence who has all that was jones

Cameron1875
26-04-2014, 05:36 PM
When he was outpaced by John Sutton on Day 1 of the season I was a little worried.

Sadly he hasn't improved since. Absolutely shocking centre half, much worse than Mcpake.

sleeping giant
26-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Im going to take Nelson as anytime scorer tomorrow :aok:

sleeping giant
26-04-2014, 05:44 PM
25-1 First scorer. 25-1 Last scorer. 9-1 anytime scorer.

hibsbollah
26-04-2014, 05:53 PM
25-1 First scorer. 25-1 Last scorer. 9-1 anytime scorer.

I took Forster at 20/1.

Hermit Crab
26-04-2014, 05:54 PM
When he was outpaced by John Sutton on Day 1 of the season I was a little worried.

Sadly he hasn't improved since. Absolutely shocking centre half, much worse than Mcpake.

Harsh.

RickyS
26-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Nelson has always been committed but at his age he's now a junior player at best. He was not signed as a long term fix though.

he was handed a 3yr contract at 33 thats pretty long term too me mate

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2014, 06:22 PM
he was handed a 3yr contract at 33 thats pretty long term too me mate

two years

Cameron1875
26-04-2014, 06:55 PM
[/B]

Harsh.

Possibly but I honestly can't think of a quality that Nelson brings to the team :(

McPake also bailed us out the $***e in the 11/12 season so gives him a bit of leeway imo.

Aldo
26-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Every single thread at the moment has the odd one or two trolling away. If it's not relegation, it's players or manager or chairman.

Easy to spot just remember your club cheated and conned innocent folk out of millions. There

portycabbage
26-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Did Admiral Nelson not have a leg and an eye missing though?:greengrin

dmc1875
26-04-2014, 07:43 PM
I don't think its any coincidence that he has looked a lot worse since being alongside Forster, who should not be playing centre back at all IMO.

Nelson and Hanlon didn't have a bad partnership 2bh

TornadoHibby
26-04-2014, 08:17 PM

I think "frustration" and disappointment" are two much more apt words to use than "hate"! :agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
26-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Did Admiral Nelson not have a leg and an eye missing though?:greengrin

Also appeared on Viz "Celebrities on the toilet" - often misquoted as "I see no ships" apparently or was that Drake. All a load of bowls anyway ;)

Eyrie
26-04-2014, 09:39 PM
I don't think its any coincidence that he has looked a lot worse since being alongside Forster, who should not be playing centre back at all IMO.

Nelson and Hanlon didn't have a bad partnership 2bh

That is down to neither Nelson nor Forster being comfortable on the left, whilst Hanlon as a left footed player is a natural.

Forster looked a decent prospect at CH when played on the right of Hanlon last season.

down-the-slope
26-04-2014, 09:50 PM

I think that is unfair - when he came in he played the No5. Role and decently...Head / kick anyhow the ball away and tackle as hard as you can....no more no less, and something we were crying out for.

I think TB has to take some of the blame as the system change of getting the ball hit forward into the channels as quickly as possible needs players in defence with good distribution (like Hanlon) that is the area of the game where he could rightly be called Honking (along with limited pace) and his overall game has suffered badly

Thats why partnerships are key in offsetting weaknesses and our chopping and changing for injury / form / suspension means they often look disjointed

Ronniekirk
26-04-2014, 10:03 PM
That is down to neither Nelson nor Forster being comfortable on the left, whilst Hanlon as a left footed player is a natural.

Forster looked a decent prospect at CH when played on the right of Hanlon last season.

Spot on ? I assume T B didn't give Foster a new deal to play at right back but that's what we have been doing too Mutch of ,playing players out of position.its no way to build a team and is one of the reasons we are where we are

weonlywon6-2
26-04-2014, 10:21 PM

I didnt even bother checking,never heard of her

#2 Double Tap
26-04-2014, 10:31 PM
nelson don't he remind you of yogi. I believe he is up for it! Shows why players shouldn't read forums.

GreenOnions
26-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Nelson is a prime example of the problems we've had: a last-minute panic buy because we'd lost out on our primary targets and didn't have enough other players in that department.

He's nowhere near the quality we require and has cost us more goals than any other player this season IMO.

However, having said all that, I would never question his commitment or his professionalism.

The_Horde
27-04-2014, 02:03 AM
I took Forster at 20/1.

That's a good bet. He's got a great knack of getting on the end of set pieces

Speedy
27-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Can just imagine the shouts "F off Nelson ya useless committed *******" :greengrin GGTTH!

Eyrie
27-04-2014, 09:22 AM

I've just googled her, and the pics weren't worth the grief I've just had from Halle Berry :boo hoo:

sleeping giant
27-04-2014, 09:57 AM
;3984439']That's a good bet. He's got a great knack of getting on the end of set pieces

I'm sure Nelson has scored more this season.

snooky
27-04-2014, 10:01 AM

No, I had to too.
Babe-a-saurus!

Deansy
27-04-2014, 12:58 PM
How about your commitment to jumping for the ball and trying to win the header ......