PDA

View Full Version : Harris Through The Middle?

smurf
24-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Not long after his arrival Terry Butcher spoke of how Alex Harris could be deployed through the middle up front in a Theo Walcott type way. I remember thinking when reading this that it appeared logical with his terrific pace.

We need a radical change as the statistics don't lie. A new approach is required. Kevin Thomson threading these balls through with pacey Watmore on the wing....

hibsforeurope
24-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Worth a shot, He can't score any less goals than Collins does upfront!

LaMotta
24-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Good idea. If we are going to punt long balls in behind defence then its ideal.

He's got better control than Collins, far more pace, and i've no doubt his finishing will be better as well.

Unseen work
24-04-2014, 12:44 PM
I suggested playing him behind the striker similar to how rageem sterling has been played. Being able to exploit space with his pace and directness could cause teams trouble and would make them uncertain on how to mark up, also he has a good strike and vision on him

Sean1875
24-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Decent idea, couldnt be much worse than anything else we've tried so far.

Butcher out, Smurf in.

MWHIBBIES
24-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Theo Walcott is very rarely deployed through the middle.

TheFamous1875
24-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Didn't Harris play through the middle a lot before he broke through? It could be a really good idea to have him in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JimBHibees
24-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Personally would have Alex on the bench as think he has struggled. Would play Cummings with Stanton off him and Watmore wide and also bring Craig in left mid.

number 27
24-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Personally would have Alex on the bench as think he has struggled. Would play Cummings with Stanton off him and Watmore wide and also bring Craig in left mid.

Thats pretty much what I would do although I would probably go for Cairney over Craig simply because set pieces look like our best chance of a goal but since Cairney has been out the team our corners and free kicks have been woeful.

The Sea-gull
24-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Yeah, why not. Worth a try.

frazeHFC
24-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Theo Walcott is very rarely deployed through the middle.

He looks so much better when he is though. Think it's worth a shot with Harris. Not as a lone striker though, maybe playing just off Cummings/Collins or whoever else.

patlowe
24-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Might be worth trying. The frustrating thing with Harris at the moment is that you can see what a great talent he is on the rare occasions he plays on instinct. We really need him to perform right now but he seems so bereft of confidence that when he gets on the ball and expectation levels rise he totally freezes. I'd imagine it's hard to be the player who is expected to provide the creative spark, particularly when your confidence is so fragile. Sterling is an interesting comparison as he has roughly similar attributes (relatively speaking) but plays with such a freedom and belief in himself, exactly what Harris could do with.

ancient hibee
24-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Watmore rather than Harris.

S4uzee
24-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Harris has been poor since his return but I would possibly play him as he always seems to rip McHattie whenever he plays

cleanyman
24-04-2014, 02:48 PM
He shouldn't play again this season.

Been stinking since his return.

gegs70
24-04-2014, 03:40 PM
I don't see why not although his confidence has been low, even though zoubir could play through the middle too?

TheFamous1875
24-04-2014, 04:06 PM
I don't see why not although his confidence has been low, even though zoubir could play through the middle too?

Zoubir's main position is behind the striker. Fenlon never played him there I don't think

MWHIBBIES
24-04-2014, 04:10 PM
He looks so much better when he is though. Think it's worth a shot with Harris. Not as a lone striker though, maybe playing just off Cummings/Collins or whoever else.I have to disagree, I think he is pretty much invisible upfront in Arsenals system, much better out side.

Aldo
24-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Watmore rather than Harris.

This.

I would play Watmore in behind Cummings and let him run at the Yams.

With all due respect to Harris he has been cutting inside quite a lot and I think Watmore is a bit more direct.

Alfred E Newman
24-04-2014, 05:29 PM

He's been in good company then. By your logic nobody should play.

flash
24-04-2014, 05:47 PM

Always good to see the fans cutting the kids a bit of slack.

DH1875
24-04-2014, 07:23 PM

Thought he done OK against them when he came on last time round.

eastterrace
24-04-2014, 07:27 PM
nope this would be a disaster him up front as his confidence has gone he aint got the bottle for this match, but hey alex prove me wrong if your picked.

#FromTheCapital
24-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Thought he done OK against them when he came on last time round.

Agreed. Looked decent when he came on which is more than can be said for most other players that day.

Brooster
24-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Didn't Harris play through the middle a lot before he broke through? It could be a really good idea to have him in there.

Boozy played a left midfield role in the under 19s. Only since he has made his first team breakthrough has he been deployed wider. Why not play him up top with Cummings? They could maybe do some damage unlike Collins and Haynes.

Jonnyboy
24-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Boozy played a left midfield role in the under 19s. Only since he has made his first team breakthrough has he been deployed wider. Why not play him up top with Cummings? They could maybe do some damage unlike Collins and Haynes.

I'd go with that Brooster. Some pace in attack for a change and I'm convinced that once Cummings breaks his scoring duck in the first eleven he'll go on to bag a few more

Mr White
24-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I'd go with that Brooster. Some pace in attack for a change and I'm convinced that once Cummings breaks his scoring duck in the first eleven he'll go on to bag a few more

:agree:

#2 Double Tap
24-04-2014, 07:55 PM
I like the old saying about a spade being a spade.