PDA

View Full Version : Gap between our youth players and 1st team?

GreenCastle
22-04-2014, 11:26 AM
This season we have seen Sam Stanton come into the side and be one of the best performers he was given his debut in January 2012. He's played 26 times and has 2 goals to his name.

Cummings also has shown promise - though less impact and still awaiting his 1st senior goal-his record for the reserves has been impressive.

Forster has played 25 games and scored 3 goals - is he a right back or a centre half?!

Handling - 33 games and 1 goal - needs to show more.

Caldwell - 21 games and 2 goals - started off well and then that fall out with Butcher and the team and Caldwell hasn't been the same since.

Booth - 29 games and 2 goals - would like to see him back at ER next season - played well against us at ER in cup and did well against sevco in cup final.

Horribine - 2 games - 1 this season and 1 last.

Donaldson - was on loan at Arbroath - not sure how he's played.

Mulhall - injured knee out for a while.

I know many on here watch the youths often and think some could step up. I am wary of throwing players into a relegation battle - I think youth needs experience to develop.

My question is though especially at the back - do we need have any defenders able to challenge for a position? Younger players must be thinking what do they have to do to play in front of players like Maybury. It's not Mayburys fault he's been put back in after pretty much returning but with Nelson capable for goals most weeks. Mcpake injured, McGivern form dipping, Hanlon injured and Forster suspended shortly surely we need to bridge the gap and be brining through more players?

We are quick to congratulate the younger teams for winning leagues etc but I am more bothered about the players being brought into the 1st team and doing well - possibly sold on down the line.

Would be interesting to hear if the youth team coaches think the players are ready to step up or if a Butcher just doesn't think they are ready?

Unseen work
22-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Always been weird to me that horribine has been around the first team for ages but never gets a look in

Nailrod
22-04-2014, 12:04 PM
I'd rather stick to seasoned pros and anonymous journeymen who had never heard of each other until they turned up for the first day's training.

What could go wrong?

GreenCastle
22-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Always been weird to me that horribine has been around the first team for ages but never gets a look in

Not seen much of him.. Potential 1st team quality ?

gegs70
23-04-2014, 12:45 AM
This season we have seen Sam Stanton come into the side and be one of the best performers he was given his debut in January 2012. He's played 26 times and has 2 goals to his name.

Cummings also has shown promise - though less impact and still awaiting his 1st senior goal-his record for the reserves has been impressive.

Forster has played 25 games and scored 3 goals - is he a right back or a centre half?!

Handling - 33 games and 1 goal - needs to show more.

Caldwell - 21 games and 2 goals - started off well and then that fall out with Butcher and the team and Caldwell hasn't been the same since.

Booth - 29 games and 2 goals - would like to see him back at ER next season - played well against us at ER in cup and did well against sevco in cup final.

Horribine - 2 games - 1 this season and 1 last.

Donaldson - was on loan at Arbroath - not sure how he's played.

Mulhall - injured knee out for a while.

I know many on here watch the youths often and think some could step up. I am wary of throwing players into a relegation battle - I think youth needs experience to develop.

My question is though especially at the back - do we need have any defenders able to challenge for a position? Younger players must be thinking what do they have to do to play in front of players like Maybury. It's not Mayburys fault he's been put back in after pretty much returning but with Nelson capable for goals most weeks. Mcpake injured, McGivern form dipping, Hanlon injured and Forster suspended shortly surely we need to bridge the gap and be brining through more players?

We are quick to congratulate the younger teams for winning leagues etc but I am more bothered about the players being brought into the 1st team and doing well - possibly sold on down the line.

Would be interesting to hear if the youth team coaches think the players are ready to step up or if a Butcher just doesn't think they are ready?

Who is Caldwell on loan too? Would he be a better option than Cummings or Collins?

Aldo
23-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Who is Caldwell on loan too? Would he be a better option than Cummings or Collins?

Alloa. And for me no he wouldn't. Cummings just needs a wee break in front of goal tbh. 30 odd goals this season in U20's.

Ronniekirk
23-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Alloa. And for me no he wouldn't. Cummings just needs a wee break in front of goal tbh. 30 odd goals this season in U20's.
Caldwell isn't exactly prolific at Alloa so think he will be off ski in summer .Cummings shows potential and is still young so time is on his side but wish that first team goal would come for him as we need someone to score .

Ozyhibby
23-04-2014, 06:14 AM
Caldwell is not making the Alloa first 11. He won't be back next season.

Brightside
23-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Our u20s are good enough to be fighting for the title in that league. I dont think they'd flinch if put into the first team tomorrow. In fact i'd expect to see them perform with much more maturity than our so called experienced pros. Horribine, Black, Baptie should all be in the match day squads now. Cummings should be playing every single game. These boys are hungry to succeed and thats what we need right now.

andrew70
23-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Not seen much of him.. Potential 1st team quality ?

More than good enough, hampered by the signings of so many similar players who are not as good as they were made out to be. Dean certainly should have had more a chance.

Paperboy
23-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Caldwell scored at the weekend for Alloa. A mate of mine who supports Cowdenbeath watched them play Alloa earlier in the season and Caldwell came on for the last few minutes. If that's our future...

gegs70
23-04-2014, 10:17 AM
I really think that the spine of our team should be filled by a decent standard of player who can mentor our young players bring them.into the game and support them....we've not had that for sometime I.honestly think that would help to bridge the gap. We just don't have the right standard of player..

Smartie
23-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I'd rather stick to seasoned pros and anonymous journeymen who had never heard of each other until they turned up for the first day's training.

What could go wrong?

get them to turn up for the first day's training? That's mental and will never work.

Nah, get them in on transfer deadline day when we've already had a brutal start to the season with an incomplete squad. Ideally they're nowhere near match fit too. That's the way to do it.

Don't even think about playing young players who are in form and full of confidence.

we are hibs
23-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Don't understand why we don't give Black and Baptie a chance as fullbacks because we have never replaced Whittaker or Murphy. I have seen them a few times for the U20s and they have played very well so why not give them a chance.

GreenCastle
24-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Don't understand why we don't give Black and Baptie a chance as fullbacks because we have never replaced Whittaker or Murphy. I have seen them a few times for the U20s and they have played very well so why not give them a chance.

How would they compare to Booth?

Booth now has more experience under his belt - looked very good when he first started playing for Hibs - seemed to get a raw deal with several changes of manager.