PDA

View Full Version : Is It Really Too Much To Ask...

Speedway
22-04-2014, 10:53 AM
To have an ambitious owner who wants to do more than just preserve the mediocrity for future generations?

To have an ambitious chairman who decides to offer slightly more for a player than other peer level teams?

To have a policy that all levels of Hibs teams are taught to play attractive passing football with a cutting edge?

To have a manager who wants to play attractive passing football with a cutting edge?

To not wipe players erchies by doing everything for them but to make them graft for everything they get at the club?

Too much?

Waxy
22-04-2014, 10:59 AM
The thing is, we have been living within our means for years while others have not. Now all other teams have to do the same at last.Perhaps our good times are just round the corner.

greenpaper55
22-04-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm afraid it's to much for some folk on here who are happy with "better the devil you know" outlook look what happened to Hearts etc. We used to be drifting along now we are drifting down !.

bingo70
22-04-2014, 11:02 AM
The first two rely on somebody putting money in so possibly yes, youre effectively asking someone to lose money.

The other ones should be a no brainer and the main reasons i think the club would benefit from a change at the very top.

JimBHibees
22-04-2014, 11:02 AM
The thing is, we have been living within our means for years while others have not. Now all other teams have to do the same at last.Perhaps our good times are just round the corner.

We have been saying that for a few years and it hasnt happened and appears to have got worse when no Rangers and a weakened Hearts in the league. We have lost to Hearts 3 times this season absolutely shameful IMO.

Waxy
22-04-2014, 11:20 AM
We have been saying that for a few years and it hasnt happened and appears to have got worse when no Rangers and a weakened Hearts in the league. We have lost to Hearts 3 times this season absolutely shameful IMO.

It's been one of the worst seasons i remember that's for sure.

--------
22-04-2014, 11:37 AM
To have an ambitious owner who wants to do more than just preserve the mediocrity for future generations?

To have an ambitious chairman who decides to offer slightly more for a player than other peer level teams?

To have a policy that all levels of Hibs teams are taught to play attractive passing football with a cutting edge?

To have a manager who wants to play attractive passing football with a cutting edge?

To not wipe players erchies by doing everything for them but to make them graft for everything they get at the club?

Too much?

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, and NO.

I assume you're being funny.

I can't imagine why you would think that after so many years of under-achievement and mismanagement you might still think that this administration has the faintest clue as to how to bring even moderate success to this football club.

Unless, of vourse, you're Rod Petrie.

In which case, I don't have to tell you what I want you to do.

The_Sauz
22-04-2014, 11:39 AM
It's been one of the worst seasons i remember that's for sure.

We were a lot worse in the late 70's 80's & 90's! No doubt we can blame Petrie & Farmer for that :rolleyes:
Farmer said at the start that he would be willing to sell Hibs if someone came in with an business plan that would insure the future of the club and not put them into debt like it was when he took over! So if someone on here knows of a person/group who has got the cash to do it, then for the love of god & Hibs.......let Tom Farmer know a.s.a.p

Nailrod
22-04-2014, 12:27 PM
The thing is, we have been living within our means for years while others have not. Now all other teams have to do the same at last. Perhaps our good times are just round the corner.I grow increasingly tired of this pitiful excuse.

Of the 7, 8, 9 or possibly 10 teams who will finish above us this season, not a single one will achieve that because they've been 'living outwith their means'.

Almost all of then have far fewer means than us to begin with. And none of them enjoyed anything like the £12 million transfer windfall that we had between 2006 and 2009. They're just all a lot better at marshalling the resources they have.

Nailrod
22-04-2014, 12:36 PM
And none of them enjoyed anything like the £12 million transfer windfall that we had between 2006 and 2009... Just been back to check. From O'Connor in 2006 to Fletcher in 2009 it was actually £14.5 million. Add in the fees we got for Stokes and Bamba and that must take it up to around £16 million.

£16 million quid, and we're standing on the edge of the abyss trying to see where the bottom is.

greenlex
22-04-2014, 12:41 PM
I grow increasingly tired of this pitiful excuse.

Of the 7, 8, 9 or possibly 10 teams who will finish above us this season, not a single one will achieve that because they've been 'living outwith their means'.

Almost all of then have far fewer means than us to begin with. And none of them enjoyed anything like the £12 million transfer windfall that we had between 2006 and 2009. They're just all a lot better at marshalling the resources they have.
With little or no potential. They are what they are. We are under performing by miles on the park and fir years into the bargain. The model we are working with is spot on. We just need to get it right. The resources are there but need to be spent better. I reckon Aberdeen are spending out with their means if they are paying more than us as had been reported.

Nailrod
22-04-2014, 12:52 PM
With little or no potential. They are what they are. We are under performing by miles on the park and fir years into the bargain. The model we are working with is spot on. We just need to get it right. The resources are there but need to be spent better. I reckon Aberdeen are spending outwith their means if they are paying more than us as has been reported.In gate receipts they'll currently be taking in £60k a match more than us. They have a League Cup win and a run to the Scottish Cup semi-final swelling their coffers. On the back of this season they'll sell several thousand season tickets more than we will. They'll have a couple of lucrative home gates in Europe to kick off next season.

The £500 quid a week (or whatever it is) they're apparently willing to pay a player more than we are comes to about £25k a year. That won't even scratch the surface of their revenues.

Chibs
22-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Just been back to check. From O'Connor in 2006 to Fletcher in 2009 it was actually £14.5 million. Add in the fees we got for Stokes and Bamba and that must take it up to around £16 million.

£16 million quid, and we're standing on the edge of the abyss trying to see where the bottom is.
Standing on the edge of the abyss?

greenpaper55
22-04-2014, 12:59 PM

You bet !.

Cropley10
22-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Pretty much yeah.

Can't buy a shot on target never mind a goal.

Dropping into the Championship with Sevco and Hearts would be a pretty dark hole.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Hearts could potentially up at Tynecastle with zero debt and 14,000 STs. We wouldn't want to end up like them.

Spike Mandela
22-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Too much?

It would be a nice surprise to wake up and find Mr Farmer had sustained an accidental knock on the head and on coming to had turned in to a Chairmam with grand ambitions for the club and would not rest until his mission was complete or his purse was empty.

It would also be nice to have a tactical genius as manager with a team full of maverick legends. Unfortunately, even with a reasonable budget, the major surgery required to the team year on year means we are limited to signing hordes of solid journeymen as opposed to adding one or two quality talents.

In the meantime watch how you go Mr Farmer, wouldn't want you falling and sustaining a head knock......now, where's that banana skin.

stevejordan
22-04-2014, 01:39 PM
In gate receipts they'll currently be taking in £60k a match more than us. They have a League Cup win and a run to the Scottish Cup semi-final swelling their coffers. On the back of this season they'll sell several thousand season tickets more than we will. They'll have a couple of lucrative home gates in Europe to kick off next season.

The £500 quid a week (or whatever it is) they're apparently willing to pay a player more than we are comes to about £25k a year. That won't even scratch the surface of their revenues.

plus the extra revenue for finishing in top 6 and possibly 2nd place Petrie has no vision by spending that wee bit extra on better players look at the return Aberdeen have gotten.

Waxy
22-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Hibs should offer a pack of pampers at the turnstiles.

Chibs
22-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Pretty much yeah.

Can't buy a shot on target never mind a goal.

Dropping into the Championship with Sevco and Hearts would be a pretty dark hole.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Hearts could potentially up at Tynecastle with zero debt and 14,000 STs. We wouldn't want to end up like them.
Sweet Lordy Jordy.
Fair enough that bunch of ***** could potentially up at that death trap,but only as zombies.

Onion
22-04-2014, 03:45 PM

You're fooling no one :greengrin It's another Hibs.net myth.

Everyone was so convinced that once the Yams spending was capped at normal levels, the tables would turn and Hibs would be able to pick them off. 3 defeats and another one looming on Sunday blows that myth apart, and re-confirms that you can put 11 one-legged monkeys in Hearts strips and they would beat the Hibs.

greenlex
22-04-2014, 03:49 PM
In gate receipts they'll currently be taking in £60k a match more than us. They have a League Cup win and a run to the Scottish Cup semi-final swelling their coffers. On the back of this season they'll sell several thousand season tickets more than we will. They'll have a couple of lucrative home gates in Europe to kick off next season.

The £500 quid a week (or whatever it is) they're apparently willing to pay a player more than we are comes to about £25k a year. That won't even scratch the surface of their revenues. If it was just one player they signed then I would agree with you but it isn't. The lucrative European home games are a myth. The qualifying rounds cost clubs money after travelling expenses to some far flung Eastern European destination negates the home gates. We had most of what you are saying for the last two seasons bar the cup win. We didn't need to gamble on wages to do so either. Just saying.

TheFamous1875
22-04-2014, 03:54 PM
What I don't get is how the people in charge of our club aren't ambitious and don't want us to challenge at the top of the league and win honours and get into Europe (all of these factors generate significant cash) why are they in charge? Why, when they're so clued up on how money works do they not push the boat out and make much more money, and build on top of that?

The more money, the safer the club (business) is. Staying in mediocrity isn't safe. Mediocrity alludes to failure. Ambition alludes to success.

The businessmen in charge know this and they don't do it. I think it's within Petrie and Farmer's best interests to employ someone who knows how to speculate properly. Someone to market the club and make it an attractive football club to play for, or to support, or to sponsor.

If the powers that be are all about safety, then they need to make a point of being ambitious instead of mediocre.

Hibs have a great stadium, a great training complex, a great history and are situated in one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the world. All of these aspects to our club are very attractive, but they're not as unattractive as a lack of ambition and a perennial culture of punching below your weight that exists on an epidemic scale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

Chibs
22-04-2014, 03:58 PM
You're fooling no one :greengrin It's another Hibs.net myth.

Everyone was so convinced that once the Yams spending was capped at normal levels, the tables would turn and Hibs would be able to pick them off. 3 defeats and another one looming on Sunday blows that myth apart, and re-confirms that you can put 11 one-legged monkeys in Hearts strips and they would beat the Hibs.
Wow!!

Cropley10
22-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Sweet Lordy Jordy.
Fair enough that bunch of ***** could potentially up at that death trap,but only as zombies.

The chances that Hearts won't be playing out of Tynecastle next season are looking slimmer and slimmer.

So, we could end up in the Championship - with Sevco and Hearts - which is a scary thought, isn't it?

Chibs
22-04-2014, 04:49 PM
The chances that Hearts won't be playing out of Tynecastle next season are looking slimmer and slimmer.

So, we could end up in the Championship - with Sevco and Hearts - which is a scary thought, isn't it?
Not to me.
zombies do not scare me

GreenCastle
22-04-2014, 04:52 PM
What I don't get is how the people in charge of our club aren't ambitious and don't want us to challenge at the top of the league and win honours and get into Europe (all of these factors generate significant cash) why are they in charge? Why, when they're so clued up on how money works do they not push the boat out and make much more money, and build on top of that?

The more money, the safer the club (business) is. Staying in mediocrity isn't safe. Mediocrity alludes to failure. Ambition alludes to success.

The businessmen in charge know this and they don't do it. I think it's within Petrie and Farmer's best interests to employ someone who knows how to speculate properly. Someone to market the club and make it an attractive football club to play for, or to support, or to sponsor.

If the powers that be are all about safety, then they need to make a point of being ambitious instead of mediocre.

Hibs have a great stadium, a great training complex, a great history and are situated in one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the world. All of these aspects to our club are very attractive, but they're not as unattractive as a lack of ambition and a perennial culture of punching below your weight that exists on an epidemic scale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

:top marks There is potential there and money to be made but that's just not happening and we are wasting opportunities to succeed.

Cropley10
22-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Not to me.
zombies do not scare me

I think you're being a bit flippant Arthur. And I know the reason, I think.

So you think Hibs would get out of the Championship ahead of both Rangers or Hearts?

emerald green
22-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Too much?

It does seem to be too much to ask at our club. Why? God only knows my friend.

emerald green
22-04-2014, 05:24 PM
We were a lot worse in the late 70's 80's & 90's!

I don't think we were a lot worse mate. Certainly not throughout the whole period you mention. Hibs were relegated in season 1979/80, coming straight back up the following season (1st) having only lost 6 games out of 39 and scoring 67 goals into the bargain. Much of the 80s & 90s was then spent in mid-table mediocrity until the inevitable happened again in 1997/8. Again Hibs came straight back up as winners the following season only losing 3 games out of 36, and scoring an incredible 84 goals (albeit against so-called lesser teams). Can anyone see this present lot doing that if we were to go down again? I very much doubt it.

eastterrace
22-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Hibs should offer a pack of pampers at the turnstiles.

maybe some off the players could use them as well, as standing in the tunnel is a bit scary for some of our players standing next to those big bad hearts players and our nasty fans shouting at them.

Saorsa
22-04-2014, 05:53 PM

Too much?I think you need tae lower your expectations, far too lofty. :agree:

Ronniekirk
22-04-2014, 06:16 PM
I don't think we were a lot worse mate. Certainly not throughout the whole period you mention. Hibs were relegated in season 1979/80, coming straight back up the following season (1st) having only lost 6 games out of 39 and scoring 67 goals into the bargain. Much of the 80s & 90s was then spent in mid-table mediocrity until the inevitable happened again in 1997/8. Again Hibs came straight back up as winners the following season only losing 3 games out of 36, and scoring an incredible 84 goals (albeit against so-called lesser teams). Can anyone see this present lot doing that if we were to go down again? I very much doubt it.
Not this present team but there will be a clear out in summer so different team may be able to do that ,but would rather not have to put that to the test

emerald green
22-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Not this present team but there will be a clear out in summer so different team may be able to do that ,but would rather not have to put that to the test

:agree: :agree: