PDA

View Full Version : Moyes Sacked

Hibbyradge
22-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Now official.

I feel sorry for him as I really liked him at Everton and I generally want Scottish managers to do well.

Following Ferguson was always going to be a difficult act to follow.

Very rarely, whether in sport or politics, is a strong, successful leader easily replaced.

Oscar T Grouch
22-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Dinae feel sorry for him. He just earned 6 years money in 10 months.

nribs
22-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Now official.

I feel sorry for him as I really liked him at Everton and I generally want Scottish managers to do well.

Very rarely, whether in sport or politics, is a strong, successful leader easily replaced.
Can't really feel sorry for someone who will never have to work again. What kind off pay off will he get with over 5 years left on his contract.

Craig_in_Prague
22-04-2014, 07:49 AM
a 6 year contract shouldn't be handed out, if they don't even give a manager a proper summer of change.

not a UTD fan at all and i know they've been Colin Nish all season, but a tad harsh I think to do it now (weren't going to be top 4 anyway),

It was always an impossible task to be the 1st manager post Fergie. More so, as it seems they expected success to continue.

DarlingtonHibee
22-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Now official.

Assuming the Chairman is going to leave as well for picking a bad manager :devil:

J-C
22-04-2014, 07:52 AM

Don't think he'll get all 6 years , there'll be a clause in his contract detailing what he'll get, probably nearer 2 years up front.

Although they didn't invest enough, those players were still good enough to at least challenge for top 4, his negativity and wholesale changing of the backroom staff were his downfall. Seemingly Sir Eck advised him to keep the majority of the backroom staff but he chose to ignore that.

HappyAsHellas
22-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Fergusons farewell speech on the pitch to the faithfull urged them to give Moyes time, because he knew the dire state of the squad he had left behind. No one was making that team into a winning side this season. Usual knee jerk reaction though. The next guy gets the transfer window that all managers need. Not saying Moyes was brilliant or anything, just he was never given the time.

CB_NO3
22-04-2014, 07:53 AM
I read yesterday that there was a clause that states he does not get the full 6 years pay.

AllyF
22-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Losing your job so publicly is f***ing rotten.

J-C
22-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Fergusons farewell speech on the pitch to the faithfull urged them to give Moyes time, because he knew the dire state of the squad he had left behind. No one was making that team into a winning side this season. Usual knee jerk reaction though. The next guy gets the transfer window that all managers need. Not saying Moyes was brilliant or anything, just he was never given the time.

2 transfer windows and 2 players not really needed cause they didn't address the situation, they needed pace and guile in midfield and didn't get it.

(((Fergus)))
22-04-2014, 07:56 AM

Don't think he'll get all 6 years , there'll be a clause in his contract detailing what he'll get, probably nearer 2 years up front.

Although they didn't invest enough, those players were still good enough to at least challenge for top 4, his negativity and wholesale changing of the backroom staff were his downfall. Seemingly Sir Eck advised him to keep the majority of the backroom staff but he chose to ignore that.

1-year pay-off because no CL, apparently.

stevejordan
22-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Now official.

decisive action had to be taken he was not up to the task.

PeeJay
22-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Now official.

A manager in charge of a club like Man. United with its players, fan base and financial resources who fails comprehensively to achieve minimum targets as Moyes has (1st season in charge or not), deserves to get sacked ... surprised they waited so long, seems to have been clearly out of his depth.

Pretty Boy
22-04-2014, 08:24 AM
It was a bizarre appointment in the 1st place.

Limited, in fact almost no, Champions League experience, no trophies won, a poor record against the top 4 and coming from a club who, whilst not a small club, are a million miles from being a Manchester United.

He was never ready to manage what is arguably the biggest club in the world. Feel sorry for him as he was left a poor, ageing squad and was clearly well out his depth.

Matty_Jack04
22-04-2014, 08:25 AM
A manager in charge of a club like Man. United with its players, fan base and financial resources who fails comprehensively to achieve minimum targets as Moyes has (1st season in charge or not), deserves to get sacked ... surprised they waited so long, seems to have been clearly out of his depth.

If there was any feeling that squad could have repeated last years success fergie would have stayed on, he managed to win the title with probably his poorest squad with the knowledge Chelsea and city would spend big and bring in new managers as well as knowing there wasn't going to be enough investment in his own squad, he got out at the right time to keep his legacy in tact and by doing so made the next mans job even harder.

Moyes should never have emptied all the back room staff that was a major mistake early on but the players down there should have a long hard look at themselves they've been rotten and made a mockery of the club this year IMO

jdships
22-04-2014, 08:26 AM
I read yesterday that there was a clause that states he does not get the full 6 years pay.

Understand , albeit from a Manchester Journo , that he gets a " two year severance package " .

As the saying goes " Money for old rope " :greengrin
Sorry to see him go as he always comes over as an honest decent guy !!

:aok:

greenlex
22-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Assuming the Chairman is going to leave as well for picking a bad manager :devil:
Aye and SAF can GTF tae for recommending him.

Big Frank
22-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Mon the cabbag

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Man U will go back to Everton for Martinez and Everton will get compo and then Moyes back for zip.

The_Todd
22-04-2014, 08:56 AM

No, a dire squad is one which Colin Calderwood left us with - not a Premiership winning one! Even if it was dire, Moyes was announced before the season ended and had a whole close season to deal with it - he made one signing. And it's not like he was working with a tight budget either.

I do feel sorry for him, but he's done himself no favours either. As a non Man United fan it's been fun to watch them implode, though.

lapsedhibee
22-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Man U will go back to Everton for Martinez and Everton will get compo and then Moyes back for zip.

Would Everton fans want him back, now that they've seen how well they can play without him?

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2014, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure if he won anything when he was a kid at Celtic, but would i be right in thinking the only medal he's ever won was a runners up league cup medal when losing to Hibs as a player?

(((Fergus)))
22-04-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure if he won anything when he was a kid at Celtic, but would i be right in thinking the only medal he's ever won was a runners up league cup medal when losing to Hibs as a player?

Says he won the Premier Division in 81-82.

Incredible that a guy who spent his whole career winning next to nothing was given that job.

Pretty Boy
22-04-2014, 09:13 AM

League with Celtic in the early 80s, 3rd divisiin with Preston in the mid 90s as a player. 2nd division with Preston and Community Shield with United as a manager.

How anyone thought that qualified someone to replace Ferguson is beyond me. Fergie had obviously paid a visit to his wine cellar when he made that recommendation.

TornadoHibby
22-04-2014, 09:30 AM

:top marks

Said this before on here, Fergie left when it was time for Fergie to leave with his legacy unbeatable! :agree:

Some of the guys who have let Moyes down this season should have been replaced by Fergie before he resigned and he knew that! :agree:

Having said that Phelan and Melenstein had something to contribute towards Moyes haveing a better chance of success but he decided to bin them so he did contribute to his demise in that regard! :rolleyes:

TornadoHibby
22-04-2014, 09:32 AM
No, a dire squad is one which Colin Calderwood left us with - not a Premiership winning one! Even if it was dire, Moyes was announced before the season ended and had a whole close season to deal with it - he made one signing. And it's not like he was working with a tight budget either.

I do feel sorry for him, but he's done himself no favours either. As a non Man United fan it's been fun to watch them implode, though.

Aye but the CEO (the "dealer" on transfers and contracts) was replaced at the same time so Moyes identified targets and Woodward didn't do as well as David Gill might have done and had done in the past! :confused:

NOt all Moyes fault but in the success game, profits and share price mean everything and that is why he's not being given time IMO! :agree:

GordonHFC
22-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Ferguson got out without replacing Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra. Sunday's back four consisted of Smalling, Jones, Evans and Buttner none of whom have any real quality/skills. In fact I would have to say that Smalling is one of the worst players I have ever seen at Old Trafford.

Scorrie
22-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Would Everton fans want him back, now that they've seen how well they can play without him?

Eh ....no thanks. This season's been a revelation with Martinez. Not slagging Moyes off for what he did at Everton at all but Martinez just so more positive

reidy
22-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Giggs in charge till the end of the season now

cad
22-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Eh ....no thanks. This season's been a revelation with Martinez. Not slagging Moyes off for what he did at Everton at all but Martinez just so more positive

Was he not known as Dithering Dave by the Everton fans took ages to make up his mind

HH81
22-04-2014, 10:08 AM
I thought he did a good job. Unlucky David lets hope the new boss can match his efforts.

Stonewall
22-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Aye but the CEO (the "dealer" on transfers and contracts) was replaced at the same time so Moyes identified targets and Woodward didn't do as well as David Gill might have done and had done in the past! :confused:

Not all Moyes fault but in the success game, profits and share price mean everything and that is why he's not being given time IMO! :agree:

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Given the above I think Moyes was always going to struggle time to revamp an ageing and creaking squad and he compounded things by emptying all the backroom staff. Remember discussing this with my mates at the time and the consensus was that the time to take the Man U job was after Fergie's successor had messed it up.

Haymaker
22-04-2014, 10:23 AM

His experience at playing away from home will be invaluable.

Sir David Gray
22-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Not sure what I think of this to be honest.

On the one hand, it seems the right thing to do. Within the space of a few months, Manchester Utd have gone from being a team that everyone feared playing to one that players and fans alike relish coming up against. The style of football has changed from being fast flowing and exciting to laboured and boring.

Old Trafford used to be a venue that away teams would virtually write off when they were looking through their fixture list. This season, it's been a place that a lot of teams will fancy their chances.

The facts don't lie either;

Everton won there for the first time since 1992
Newcastle won there for the first time since 1972
West Brom won there for the first time since 1978
Swansea won there for the first ever in their history

Against the six teams currently above them, they've picked up just six points this season. Against the same teams last season they picked up twenty points. Whilst they would still be some way off as title challengers, those extra 14 points would currently have them in 4th spot and a coveted Champions League place.

There was the also the comments that Moyes made at different times this season about Liverpool being favourites for the recent match at Old Trafford and also that Manchester City were "at the sort of level his team aspires to" despite being above them less than 12 months before. You would have heard neither of those comments from the mouth of Sir Alex Ferguson.

However, after 26 years of having the same man in charge, a man that many regard as being the greatest football manager of all time, it was always going to be a tough season for Manchester Utd. Whoever took over from Sir Alex Ferguson was always likely to struggle to fill those enormous boots.

The team that was left by Ferguson is also in urgent need of an overhaul. Vidic is going at the end of the season, with Evra possibly following him. Guys like Ferdinand and Giggs are likely to retire in the near future and players like Cleverley, Welbeck, Smalling, Young and Buttner are simply not good enough for where they need to be.

I'm surprised that he wasn't given until around Christmas to see how he could do at the start of next season. I always thought that Manchester Utd was a club that didn't sack managers after a few months in charge.

However I guess this is the nature of football nowadays. Managers don't get time to cut their cloth and make mistakes.

Whoever comes in now has a far easier job than the one Moyes had on his hands last summer. The club is at its lowest ebb for many years at the moment and instead of being compared to the most successful manager in British football history, Moyes' successor will be judged initially on whether he can improve on this season's showing.

It surely can't be hard for Manchester Utd to improve on what's happened this season.

IWasThere2016
22-04-2014, 12:02 PM
It was a bizarre appointment in the 1st place.

Limited, in fact almost no, Champions League experience, no trophies won, a poor record against the top 4 and coming from a club who, whilst not a small club, are a million miles from being a Manchester United.

He was never ready to manage what is arguably the biggest club in the world. Feel sorry for him as he was left a poor, ageing squad and was clearly well out his depth.

:agree: Well done Fergie - clearly auld reeking chops was blootered at the time :thumbsup:

First meeting today is meet the players' wives session :greengrin

ekhibee
22-04-2014, 12:52 PM
There certainly has been precedents of managers of 'smaller' clubs not being able to handle a move to a 'bigger' club. Manager's who specialize in working within a budget and trying to make the most out of cheaper signings and bargain buys sometimes seem to struggle when they have a huge pot of money to play with, it's almost as if it's taking them out of their comfort zone, or a system they were used to. I actually thought one of the mistakes Moyes made was over Rooney. Nobody is worth that amount of money. To me, Moyes has always come across as a reasonable, honest manager, and for all we know he probably knew the writing was on the wall a while ago. Unfortunately nice guys don't win. Ferguson, for all his success, I thought was a loathsome character, and I found Ron Atkinson the same. But these are the type of manager the Man U fans seem to like, and I'm not and never will be a Man U fan so what would I know?

Crazyhorse
22-04-2014, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=Trig;3979709]Not sure what I think of this to be honest.

I'm surprised that he wasn't given until around Christmas to see how he could do at the start of next season. I always thought that Manchester Utd was a club that didn't sack managers after a few months in charge.

Maybe they are lining someone up who won't wait until Christmas?

Sir David Gray
22-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Maybe they are lining someone up who won't wait until Christmas?

I say that because when Christmas comes, he'll have been in charge for around 18 months. I thought he would be given the opportunity to see what he could do with the signings he would have been planning to make in the summer.

From that point of view, I'm surprised that he wasn't given a bit more time.

cad
22-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Just didnt have it to big for him ,how he recovers will be interesting

(((Fergus)))
22-04-2014, 02:58 PM
I say that because when Christmas comes, he'll have been in charge for around 18 months. I thought he would be given the opportunity to see what he could do with the signings he would have been planning to make in the summer.

From that point of view, I'm surprised that he wasn't given a bit more time.

He has already blown around 100 million through dodgy signings and failure to get to CL. There's also the fact that players don't want to sign for him.

TheFamous1875
22-04-2014, 03:14 PM
I think overall his appointment was a bad decision - he didn't have the experience at that level, he didn't have experience of winning trophies or big matches. It was an immediate non-starter for him. The squad was in bad shape and it was possibly the most difficult time for any manager to replace SAF - let alone a manager as 'unqualified' as Moyes.

The squad itself (the sole responsibility of SAF) wasn't built properly. The job left at Manchester Untied was akin to being given the keys to a prime piece of real estate which doesn't have a roof or any plumbing. In theory it's the pinnacle, but in practice it's got too many problems to fix. It's never going to function without some major refurbishing, and it's never going fixed unless you hire the top people to do the job.

David Moyes didn't even have the right toolbox.

I do feel for him as he didn't stand a chance overcoming these problems. He doesn't have the ability as a manager, the pull or the support required to do a job like this, he is a good manager, he's proved that, but he really wasn't the man for the job. At all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir David Gray
22-04-2014, 03:15 PM
He has already blown around 100 million through dodgy signings and failure to get to CL. There's also the fact that players don't want to sign for him.

He spent nowhere near that.

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2014, 03:19 PM
He has already blown around 100 million through dodgy signings and failure to get to CL. There's also the fact that players don't want to sign for him.69 million = around 100 million?

ancient hibee
22-04-2014, 04:01 PM
He spent nowhere near that.

He doesn't say he's spent that-he says he's blown it due to expenditure and failure to get into the CL-he's right.

RoslinInstHibby
22-04-2014, 04:08 PM
69 million = around 100 million?

and handed over a huge big payrise to Rooney

heretoday
22-04-2014, 04:20 PM
He'll not be out of work for long methinks. He hasn't done enough to ruin his good reputation. He was just the wrong man for United.

I can see Newcastle or Villa going for him. I just hope he doesn't go back to Goodison while Roberto heads for OT!

Hibernia&Alba
22-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Van Gaal looks the frontrunner, with Klopp having ruled himself out of leaving Dortmund.

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2014, 04:28 PM
and handed over a huge big payrise to RooneyYeah, because that was everything to do with Moyes :faf:

3pm
22-04-2014, 04:32 PM
I am not a Man Utd fan and I don't feel sorry for him - he will be well compensated.

However, I would really like to have seen him succeed. The English press often bemoan the fact that there are not enough opportunities for British managers. In Moyes, they have someone who finally got a chance at their biggest league club (and one of the biggest in the world).

I always got the impression they never wanted him to succeed for some reason. I suppose the press are less relevant than the fans because they never wanted him either. He was pishin into the wind right away with the botched signing attempts in the summer. The new CEO seems to have got away without much criticism though?

He done a great job at Everton but he was never accepted and once the players started commenting, particularly Van Persie after the European game, he was dead man walking.

Sir David Gray
22-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Van Gaal looks the frontrunner, with Klopp having ruled himself out of leaving Dortmund.

Not sure how that's going to work. He's currently in charge of Holland and if they do well at the World Cup, he could be in Brazil until around the middle of July.

With the Premiership season beginning around a month after the World Cup final, it won't give him much time to prepare.

Hibernia&Alba
22-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Not sure how that's going to work. He's currently in charge of Holland and if they do well at the World Cup, he could be in Brazil until around the middle of July.

With the Premiership season beginning around a month after the World Cup final, it won't give him much time to prepare.

Very true, and a good point. The World Cup would certainly create a problem.

emerald green
22-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Moyes never stood a chance trying to fill Ferguson's shoes and match his achievements, especially with the squad he inherited which was past its best IMHO. He's the patsy.

Pretty Boy
22-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Van Gaal the early favourite at evens for next manager.

Klopp 2nd favourite at 12s.

Think Van Gaal would be a good appointment to steady the ship. He's got his own ups and downs but the trophies on his CV are impressive in their own right so he's not likely to be as easy to criticise as Moyes was.

weonlywon6-2
22-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Van Gaal the early favourite at evens for next manager.

Klopp 2nd favourite at 12s.

Think Van Gaal would be a good appointment to steady the ship. He's got his own ups and downs but the trophies on his CV are impressive in their own right so he's not likely to be as easy to criticise as Moyes was.

I think utd will look for a long term manager and i dont see van gaal being that,really no idea who they may go for

weonlywon6-2
22-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Moyes could buy a scottish football club and then take a back seat,he should get 30 million pay off from utd so loads of dosh

Ronniekirk
23-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Moyes never stood a chance trying to fill Ferguson's shoes and match his achievements, especially with the squad he inherited which was past its best IMHO. He's the patsy.
He didn't get opportunity to bring in a lot of players ,don t. Know if mo net was there for him to spend and he couldn't attract right players but yes with that squad Fergie knew it was right time to bail out so was always a big ask .United were struggling to match Chelsea and Man City for spending power .
His new players like Fellini did him no.favours but not qualifying for Champions league was always going to get Shareholders nervous as they need that revenue so he probably knew writing was o he wall Ferguson came in at time they were struggling so wasn't same pressure on him although they nearly sacked him way back .

MWHIBBIES
23-04-2014, 08:56 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27123088

Fergie really should just go and enjoy his retirement.

23-04-2014, 08:59 AM

He only gets 1 years pay off but still a very tidy sum. Feel sorry for him though, he has had a terribly disappointing season but reckon he should have been given much longer and at least the summer to make more signings.

He will get a good job elsewhere.

J-C
23-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Was hearing on SSN that they had trouble attracting top world class players to Old Trafford, maybe Moyes was just not a big enough manager for them and top players didn't fancy working under him, like him or loathe him Sir Alex was always able to attract the top players, winners always want to work with winners, Moyes wasn't a winner.

Crazyhorse
23-04-2014, 11:57 AM

Yep. And being 'anointed' by Ferguson probably did him no favours in the end.

(((Fergus)))
23-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Interesting to compare their respective first press interviews:

Ferguson: "Excitement. [...] When's the first plane? [...] I'm sure we'll do very well."

Moyes: "Didn't get a chance to say yes or no. [...] The blood drained from my face. [...] Time will tell."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWroJkqAZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUibDibXfUI