PDA

View Full Version : Sportsound

Billy Whizz
21-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Paul Kane on now, and Hibs.net Baldy Foghorn coming on too. He's got the perfect face for Radio

silverhibee
21-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Paul Kane on now, and Hibs.net Baldy Foghorn coming on too. He's got the perfect face for Radio

link please

Billy Whizz
21-04-2014, 05:42 PM
link please

810mw/online or catch later on the podcast

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Listening to it now. Saying that we could of got Flood for an extra 500 a week in his wages which we wouldn't pay so Aberdeen did.

3pm
21-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Rooney, Flood signed for Aberdeen when we could have had them.

From Tom English.

Lmc2105
21-04-2014, 05:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/21267690

3pm
21-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Stevie said he was buying everyone a drink on Sunday as well.

Billy Whizz
21-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Stevie said he was buying everyone a drink on Sunday as well.

I heard that too

Baldy Foghorn
21-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Haha Russell and Billy, only if Sportsound are picking up the tab.........

Lmc2105
21-04-2014, 05:58 PM
I only heard the end of it where Kano said farmer wouldn't accept 2.5M it would be more. i will listen into the podcast

Kaiser1962
21-04-2014, 06:02 PM
I only heard the end of it where Kano said farmer wouldn't accept 2.5M it would be more. i will listen into the podcast

I think he would be entitled to get back what he has put in, so that he would not be out of pocket.

Billy Whizz
21-04-2014, 06:03 PM

From your appearance fee of course

Lmc2105
21-04-2014, 06:13 PM
I think he would be entitled to get back what he has put in, so that he would not be out of pocket.

I would agree with you am not disputing that just Kano coming out with figures.

J-C
21-04-2014, 06:33 PM

I think he was referring to the Hearts situation and that Hibs were worth a lot more than what they've went for, hence why getting someone to buy us will be harder.
Annoying when we keep hearing from very good sources that we continually miss out on quality for the sake of a few quid here and there, sad times indeed.

ancient hibee
21-04-2014, 06:36 PM
I think he was referring to the Hearts situation and that Hibs were worth a lot more than what they've went for, hence why getting someone to buy us will be harder.
Annoying when we keep hearing from very good sources that we continually miss out on quality for the sake of a few quid here and there, sad times indeed.

That depends on who you believe-they could be just making it up.

Hermit Crab
21-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Missed it. What was discussed Mr B?

greenlex
21-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Annoying when we keep hearing from very good sources that we continually miss out on quality for the sake of a few quid here and there, sad times indeed. Only if you believe it.

The Sea-gull
21-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Only if you believe it.

Yeah, I tend not to believe anything negative anyone says about hibs ever coz we are great and they are probably just some yam.

greenpaper55
21-04-2014, 06:53 PM
That depends on who you believe-they could be just making it up.

So could Petrie.

down-the-slope
21-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Very calm and measured contribution Brockie - there is going to have to be some kind of response to questions of long term plans from Tom Farmer (or on his behalf) sooner or later

Interesting that today the details of SPFL clubs trying to gain more influence and resources from SFA were revealed, and in particular the PGB looking to gain control of development budgets - as Chairman of this is RP trying to enlarge his lot elsewhere?

Ozyhibby
21-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Very calm and measured contribution Brockie - there is going to have to be some kind of response to questions of long term plans from Tom Farmer (or on his behalf) sooner or later

Interesting that today the details of SPFL clubs trying to gain more influence and resources from SFA were revealed, and in particular the PGB looking to gain control of development budgets - as Chairman of this is RP trying to enlarge his lot elsewhere?

Be better leaving it with the SFA. Hibs community involvement is almost zero.

Kaiser1962
21-04-2014, 07:07 PM

Was it not about £2.9m in 1991 that was paid for Hibs?

down-the-slope
21-04-2014, 07:12 PM

:confused: Hibs have fantastic community involvement. This is not about that its about development of 'the game'

It is with SFA - and would still be..but in the professional side (sfa has 2 boards)...SPFL unsurprisingly has more clout in PGB...rather in the amateur side

Viva_Palmeiras
21-04-2014, 07:13 PM

Cant comment on the community football side (which I presume you are referring to?) but as a benicia airy of the excellent community foundation I think I need to highlight that there are many strands to the foundations work and it is very much In the community so I think your wide-sweeping statement needs a bit of correction... They do take in green-shoots and various other initiatives aimed at getting kids involved although I cannot profess to be thoroughly versed in it.

J-C
21-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Only if you believe it.

Oh I believe it, from the pretty good sources I have at the club we've missed out on a good number of players due to Rod trying continually to get bargain signings.

Danderhall Hibs
21-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Why do ex players and "sources" around the club know stuff like who we tried to sign and how much we offered?

Too many leaks and slavers around our club.

Ronniekirk
21-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Cant comment on the community football side (which I presume you are referring to?) but as a benicia airy of the excellent community foundation I think I need to highlight that there are many strands to the foundations work and it is very much In the community so I think your wide-sweeping statement needs a bit of correction... They do take in green-shoots and various other initiatives aimed at getting kids involved although I cannot profess to be thoroughly versed in it.
Think the work being done at community level by a lot of the organisations linked in with hibs is well understood .Think that's what Farmer wanted .the issue seems to be if that is the limit of Farmers ambition for the club how do we move forward where it really matters as a Football Club which is how the first team perform on the pitch and how scouting and youth set up feed through to this .the latter seems to be getting back on track .

J-C
21-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Why do ex players and "sources" around the club know stuff like who we tried to sign and how much we offered?

Thing is many of these reports are from people outside the club, it's fairly common knowledge that Petrie is a tight erse.

Cropley10
21-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Perhaps it's something to do with football being a village, folk talk, same in any business or sport? :dunno:

I heard details of a current Hibs players package from his primary school friend. No reason to doubt him or the player. I certainly wouldn't disclose who it was or what he's on though :greengrin:

Ronniekirk
21-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Oh I believe it, from the pretty good sources I have at the club we've missed out on a good number of players due to Rod trying continually to get bargain signings.
I think that has to be a feature that frustrates managers and is one reason we aren't progressing .whether it's down to having yo live within our means or rod protracted negotiations meaning we loose out on targets I have no idea but some clarity on this issue would help us fans understand what's wrong behind the scenes

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Seen this written many times on here but not the other figure.
£1 + £500 - £100 + £500 - £1000 + £500 £10000000000000000000. + £500?

The £500 figure on it's own means nothing.

We offered £800 a week and he wanted an extra £500. £1300 a week and he was ours. Tom English' words.

Danderhall Hibs
21-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Thing is many of these reports are from people outside the club, it's fairly common knowledge that Petrie is a tight erse.

No doubting he is but I do wonder how much fact there is in these guys outside the clubs stories.

If they're coming from someone within he/she needs weeded out. Back to the culture change again...

Viva_Palmeiras
21-04-2014, 07:41 PM
We offered £800 a week and he wanted an extra £500. £1300 a week and he was ours. Tom English' words.

And Aberdeen wouldn't have come back in?

J-C
21-04-2014, 07:44 PM
No doubting he is but I do wonder how much fact there is in these guys outside the clubs stories.

If they're coming from someone within he/she needs weeded out. Back to the culture change again...

Still trying to work out why someone within Hibs giving snippets of info needs weeding out, these snippets will come out all the time, this isn't anything new here. :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
21-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Still trying to work out why someone within Hibs giving snippets of info needs weeding out, these snippets will come out all the time, this isn't anything new here. :confused:

It's the clubs business, some of it confidential.

matty_f

That's not pennies though, that's 25 grand over the year.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
And Aberdeen wouldn't have come back in?

:dunno:

J-C
21-04-2014, 07:51 PM
It's the clubs business, some of it confidential.

If you believe that then you are very very naive indeed.

Stories will always get out via agents/players/ ex employees/media etc

Weir7
21-04-2014, 07:52 PM

Agents talk. Managers talk. Players talk. Football is a small village.

So don't know why your pointing figure a people at the club.

Only one man does transfer deals. Petrie and he gives nothing away.

Danderhall Hibs
21-04-2014, 07:52 PM
If you believe that then you are very very naive indeed.

Stories will always get out via agents/players/ ex employees/media etc

Not naive just my experience has been in a professionally run business.

Danderhall Hibs
21-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Agents talk. Managers talk. Players talk. Football is a small village.

So don't know why your pointing figure a people at the club.

Only one man does transfer deals. Petrie and he gives nothing away.

Maybe you're right.

J-C
21-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Not naive just my experience has been in a professionally run business.

Football is not run like any other professional business though, I'm self employed and only me, my accountant and the tax man knows what I earn.

Football is different, agents want better deals for their players, and make it public by leaking little stories, look at Rooney at Man U, we know roughly what he's on but don't kn ow the full details of his wage but funny how it became general knowledge when he wanted a move and said he wasn't happy.

Ozyhibby
21-04-2014, 08:05 PM
:confused: Hibs have fantastic community involvement. This is not about that its about development of 'the game'

It is with SFA - and would still be..but in the professional side (sfa has 2 boards)...SPFL unsurprisingly has more clout in PGB...rather in the amateur side

Sorry, I meant on the football side of things. Outside of pro youth we have very little kids coaching.
Spartans manage to spend £0.5m a year on kids coaching programes. Hibs are nowhere close to that.

oldbutdim
21-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Indeed. And a pretty massive hike from what was on offer.

I wonder if Aberdeen met his demands............

Or maybe just paid a bit more than Hibs.
:wink:

Stonewall
21-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Sorry, I meant on the football side of things. Outside of pro youth we have very little kids coaching.
Spartans manage to spend £0.5m a year on kids coaching programes. Hibs are nowhere close to that.

Stupid comment - not even remotely comparable. Spartans are a community club, much like the one I help with, whose aims are to provide football for kids of all standards. Outside of a few token holiday camps Hibs cherry pick the best from clubs like Spartans/ Linlithgow Rose CFC etc with the aim of producing players for our first team.

PS anybody think they're being spun by the media?

DC_Hibs
21-04-2014, 08:18 PM

That's twice I have read that English is saying we made an offer of £800 a week.

To me that seems absolute nonsense and therefore I'd dismiss everything that Irish mug comes away with. If he'd said 1200 I would still be surprised and doubtful at that level of wage offer.

It will still be adopted as gospel by all and sundry like the 150k fee we never paid to get Griffiths, the 200k fee we (never) paid for Collins and Riordan's 20k or 30k a week wage in China.

I do know for a FACT that we offered 2k a week to McManus last summer but it wasn't enough to tempt him to add an hour each way on his journey to training so he stuck with Motherwell despite slating Kenny Black's training.

Argylehibby
21-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Listening to it now. Saying that we could of got Flood for an extra 500 a week in his wages which we wouldn't pay so Aberdeen did.

The comment was Flood, Rooney and 1 other for an extra £500 a week (each) that is £78,000 per year and on 3 year contract £234,000. would the 3 have been enough? Doubt it long term so then we get to the summer and sign 3 or 4 players all on that extra £500 a week. Your now up at near enough half a million by the end of year 3. Not exactly small change is it?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-04-2014, 08:41 PM
That's twice I have read that English is saying we made an offer of £800 a week.

To me that seems absolute nonsense and therefore I'd dismiss everything that Irish mug comes away with. If he'd said 1200 I would still be surprised and doubtful at that level of wage offer.

It will still be adopted as gospel by all and sundry like the 150k fee we never paid to get Griffiths, the 200k fee we (never) paid for Collins and Riordan's 20k or 30k a week wage in China.

I do know for a FACT that we offered 2k a week to McManus last summer but it wasn't enough to tempt him to add an hour each way on his journey to training so he stuck with Motherwell despite slating Kenny Black's training.

How much are 'Well paying him?

Stevie Reid
21-04-2014, 08:51 PM

Yep. Not to mention a huge increase, percentage wise, from what he was offered.

kentao
21-04-2014, 09:02 PM
The comment was Flood, Rooney and 1 other for an extra £500 a week (each) that is £78,000 per year and on 3 year contract £234,000. would the 3 have been enough? Doubt it long term so then we get to the summer and sign 3 or 4 players all on that extra £500 a week. Your now up at near enough half a million by the end of year 3. Not exactly small change is it?

Better players = more wins
More wins = better placing = more money
Successful team = more supporters = more money.
Successful team = young players getting noticed and us getting some fees.

What rod has done has held the club back for the last 7 years when rangers died that was the time to gamble. When hearts were restricted to youth players we should have really kicked on but petrie carried on with his last minute bargain basement shopping and lack of ambition. We have a bigger turnover than most clubs in the spl but perform like a championship club.

Peevemor
21-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Anyone who believes it's as simple as £800pw from one club versus £1300 from another has no idea how players' contracts work. There's obviously a basic wage but any number of bonuses may be added, eg. for being named in the squad, for starting matches, winning matches, cup runs, etc. There can also be other add-ons such as accommodation and/or a club car. Signing-on fees are also a major factor. Tom English and Kano both know this stuff so their speaking in terms of basic wage alone is deliberately misleading. Unless precise details of the packages offered by the different clubs are known, there's no point in these statements or discussions.

It's the same thing with all the speculation on here about the deal that Sam Stanton was offered. I know nothing about that particular situation (except that thankfully he signed), but I know for a fact that a young player's take home can vary wildly from month to month depending on a large number of factors.

Cool_Hand_Luke
21-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Yep. Not to mention a huge increase, percentage wise, from what he was offered.

:agree: if the figures are to be believed, he want 62.5% more than what we offered...greedy barsteward :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
21-04-2014, 09:32 PM
:agree: if the figures are to be believed, he want 62.5% more than what we offered...greedy barsteward :greengrin

62.07% of stats are made up ;)

greenlex
21-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Better players = more wins
More wins = better placing = more money
Successful team = more supporters = more money.
Successful team = young players getting noticed and us getting some fees.

What rod has done has held the club back for the last 7 years when rangers died that was the time to gamble. When hearts were restricted to youth players we should have really kicked on but petrie carried on with his last minute bargain basement shopping and lack of ambition. We have a bigger turnover than most clubs in the spl but perform like a championship club.
Sorry are we paying for better players or bringing through youngsters to sell?

Saorsa
21-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Sorry are we paying for better players or bringing through youngsters to sell?neither

Criswell
21-04-2014, 09:46 PM

And a couple of seasons in the Championship is going to cost us how much?

seanshow
21-04-2014, 09:54 PM
according to that sportsound show, apparently Tom English had a chat with Pat Fenlon recently who had also attempted to sign Rooney when he was the manager, but £££££££ got in the way yet again.

sven nil
21-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Yep. Not to mention a huge increase, percentage wise, from what he was offered. Still not as much as we have paid compensation for poor managers!

silverhibee
21-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Anyone who believes it's as simple as £800pw from one club versus £1300 from another has no idea how players' contracts work. There's obviously a basic wage but any number of bonuses may be added, eg. for being named in the squad, for starting matches, winning matches, cup runs, etc. There can also be other add-ons such as accommodation and/or a club car. Signing-on fees are also a major factor. Tom English and Kano both know this stuff so their speaking in terms of basic wage alone is deliberately misleading. Unless precise details of the packages offered by the different clubs are known, there's no point in these statements or discussions.

It's the same thing with all the speculation on here about the deal that Sam Stanton was offered. I know nothing about that particular situation (except that thankfully he signed), but I know for a fact that a young player's take home can vary wildly from month to month depending on a large number of factors.

:agree:

And i will leave it at that. :agree:

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Fed up hearing about Willo Flood. He's a decent SPFL who's currently part of a good squad. If we'd signed him last summer then we would be in the exact same position we are in currently. Just like if Aberdeen had signed Liam Craig then I have absolutely no doubt that he would be performing consistently well in that team. Signing Rooney in January would not have made a blind bit of difference with the way we are currently playing. He's scored 8 goals for Aberdeen, anyone that thinks he would be anywhere near that in our current squad are living on a different planet.
This 'just £500 more' chat with regards to Flood is tiresome as well. To put it into perspective, that's not a lot less than Wotherspoon was on pw. It's also not a lot less than Stanton will be on. So £500 pw is nearly another player as things stand for us. Sad, however that's reality.
Until we get to the bottom of what's fundamentally wrong within the club, players like Willo Flood ain't gonna make a blind bit of difference.

hibbypostie
22-04-2014, 12:08 AM

yeah we keep getting told not to believe that but no one can offer a better reason :cb

gegs70
22-04-2014, 01:22 AM
I think it's more to do.with the managers and their signings. A lot of the other clubs have managed a lot better than us in.the transfer market with potentially less money too....

kentao
22-04-2014, 06:42 AM
Sorry are we paying for better players or bringing through youngsters to sell?

If we paid the going rate for 6 decent spl standard players to build a spine from. We could then fill the rest of the team with youth. Or we could carry on paying less and missing out on some quality and continue to fight relegation every season.

Cropley10
22-04-2014, 07:30 AM
If we paid the going rate for 6 decent spl standard players to build a spine from. We could then fill the rest of the team with youth. Or we could carry on paying less and missing out on some quality and continue to fight relegation every season.

But we might go bust?

kentao
22-04-2014, 07:37 AM
But we might go bust?

Aberdeens not went bust and they managed to get hayes flood rooney all players we were allegedly after with a similar turnover.

Saorsa
22-04-2014, 07:38 AM
But we might go bust?:agree:

By no paying for decent players Petrie is just saving us from becoming h****s, leeds, Portsmouth, etc, etc..... :blah:

J-C
22-04-2014, 07:58 AM

By no paying for decent players Petrie is just saving us from becoming h****s, leeds, Portsmouth, etc, etc..... :blah:

I've said it before, do we sign 10 very average players at £1500 each or 5 pretty good ones at £3000 each, money wise it adds up to the same but our policy of signing very average/poor players cause they're cheap is ruining our club.

Ozyhibby
22-04-2014, 08:36 AM
I've said it before, do we sign 10 very average players at £1500 each or 5 pretty good ones at £3000 each, money wise it adds up to the same but our policy of signing very average/poor players cause they're cheap is ruining our club.

Go for quality every time.

The Sea-gull
22-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Go for quality every time.

Bang on. We need to ship out the rubbish from the squad. From what we have, keep Hanlon, Forster, Robertson, Craig, Stevenson, Harris, Stanton, Handling and Cummings then sign 5 or 6 good quality players and a couple of squad fillers then just use the youth boys for the rest of the squad.

Cropley10
22-04-2014, 09:58 PM

Aye & you forget Sevco

Saorsa
22-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Aye & you forget Sevcothey're one of the etceteras :greengrin

stevejordan
22-04-2014, 10:07 PM

we only need one good player to make a diference look at what LG Did

smurf
23-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Very reassuring to know that there are other Hibby's out there asking the obvious questions in relation to our absent owner and part time chairman. I understand the appreciation of Sir Tom Farmer and in particular his role and effort s in 1990 and 1991. However, it appears our sole objectives are now to just plod on and survive. We need transparency from our absent owner and part time chairman. And I would urge all to listen to the podcast of this show and become concerned...

mmmmhibby
23-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Bang on. We need to ship out the rubbish from the squad. From what we have, keep Hanlon, Forster, Robertson, Craig, Stevenson, Harris, Stanton, Handling and Cummings then sign 5 or 6 good quality players and a couple of squad fillers then just use the youth boys for the rest of the squad.

Get Hanlon and Stevenson out anaw, they have played their part in this 7 year debacle. We need to move on.

rcarter1
23-04-2014, 12:24 PM

100% Bang on. Quality new signings should be given responsibility for guiding the youngsters through, with the hope that our youth can step up more often than not.

The Green Goblin
23-04-2014, 02:02 PM
But we might go bust?

Are those our only two options then? Be crap or go bust? I think not.

Cropley10
23-04-2014, 02:42 PM

Of course not. But there's folk on here who constantly reference Leeds Portsmouth and so on any time someone advocates spending a few quid extra on decent players.

ancient hibee
23-04-2014, 03:29 PM

I wonder how we managed to sign Stokes,Riordan,Miller,Craig,Robertson(all internationals by the way)Williams,Vine Tudor-Jones,Heffernan,McPake?

TheFamous1875
23-04-2014, 03:36 PM
I wonder how we managed to sign Stokes,Riordan,Miller,Craig,Robertson(all internationals by the way)Williams,Vine Tudor-Jones,Heffernan,McPake?

Sorry to be pedantic but Craig isn't an international and Tudur Jones and McPake are!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J-C
23-04-2014, 03:51 PM

Stokes, pals with Yogi and on the fringes of Ireland squad, 8 caps only.
Riordan, ex player brought in by Petrie to sell tickets( part of wages paid by farmer )
Miller, on the way out, near end of his career, went to Australia after us, enough said
Robertson, languishing in Blackpool reserves, wanted to kick star his career, erm how many caps?? 2
Williams, came from Colchester, yes the mighty Colchester
Vine, another players heading down the way, now plying his trade at the huge club called Morton.
OTJ, 7 caps, now 29, was on loan at Yeovil and Brentford before joining ICT, not exactly setting the heather on fire.
Heffernan, decent player, zero caps, now 32 yr old and injury prone??
McPake, Broke his back at Coventry and has struggled ever since, great when we needed him, 1 cap for N Ireland

So before making such stupid statements, have a wee look at the players you're talking about, apart from Stokes, none are real quality, when we get quality, Petrie can't help himself and gets the dosh asap.

Edit, well apart from Riordan obviously.

Eyrie
23-04-2014, 05:44 PM

The option that no-one likes to see mentioned is to spend the money that we do have better. Let's face it, we have the fourth biggest budget for players in Scotland behind Septic (miles ahead), Aberdeen (marginally more) and Sevco Huns (not even in our league) so lack of money isn't the real issue. It's identifying the right players and not simply those who fancy a holiday at East Mains (until Butcher arrived).

Instead one side yells for us to waste money that we don't have on paying more to the duds that we do sign whilst the other yells that if we pay anyone a penny above the minimum wage we'll be lucky to only follow the Yams into administration and not Huns RIP into liquidation.

greenlex
23-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Aberdeen Motherwell St Johnstone Inverness etc. seem to do just fine by doing exactly that. Are they being ruined?

lapsedhibee
23-04-2014, 06:29 PM

Indeed.

Yep.

It's 26 grand. ******* yamathematicians everywhere :grr::panic:

matty_f
23-04-2014, 08:48 PM
It's 26 grand. ******* yamathematicians everywhere :grr::panic:

:tee hee: it is, as well!

greenpaper55
23-04-2014, 08:56 PM

Jesus wept, seven of these have us within three points of the play off spot !.

ancient hibee
24-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Jesus wept, seven of these have us within three points of the play off spot !.

Which of them were you against signing then?

ancient hibee
24-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Stokes, pals with Yogi and on the fringes of Ireland squad, 8 caps only.
Riordan, ex player brought in by Petrie to sell tickets( part of wages paid by farmer )
Miller, on the way out, near end of his career, went to Australia after us, enough said
Robertson, languishing in Blackpool reserves, wanted to kick star his career, erm how many caps?? 2
Williams, came from Colchester, yes the mighty Colchester
Vine, another players heading down the way, now plying his trade at the huge club called Morton.
OTJ, 7 caps, now 29, was on loan at Yeovil and Brentford before joining ICT, not exactly setting the heather on fire.
Heffernan, decent player, zero caps, now 32 yr old and injury prone??
McPake, Broke his back at Coventry and has struggled ever since, great when we needed him, 1 cap for N Ireland

So before making such stupid statements, have a wee look at the players you're talking about, apart from Stokes, none are real quality, when we get quality, Petrie can't help himself and gets the dosh asap.

Edit, well apart from Riordan obviously.

I only make stupid statements so that you'll feel at home.

Greencore
24-04-2014, 03:07 PM
I only make stupid statements so that you'll feel at home.o.0 really... Wow

J-C
24-04-2014, 03:09 PM
I only make stupid statements so that you'll feel at home.

And there you've just managed to make another one, well done.

Do you always resort to so called smart ersed humour when someone points out you've made a mistake in a post.

patlowe
24-04-2014, 03:21 PM
I can accept that there were Hibbies on there but I can't stand listening to guys like Tom English talk about Hibs - they don't watch Hibs, they don't care about Hibs, they don't really know what the problems are - they simply jump on the Hibs-bashing bandwagon because it's an easy target and they can sound mildly hard-hitting on the radio.

Pat Fenlon signed around 10 players last summer - probably out-bidding other SPL clubs for a lot of them wage-wise (eg Craig, OTJ). He was given an actual transfer fee (regardless of how much) to spend on James Collins. He was allowed to build an entire team, as were the managers that preceded him. He was 'backed', we just signed the wrong players. I'm as angry as the next Hibs fan about how poor we are but I am under no illusion that it is our playing budget that is holding us back. It wasn't 'investment' that made John Sutton a good signing for Motherwell (can't believe I just said that) or Gary Warren, James Vincent etc good signings for ICT. It's not about 'investment' and 'backing' (particularly when you have the 3rd biggest budget in the league), it's about strategy, vision and good old-fashioned management. That is what we've lacked for years.

People talk about Aberdeen as if they've suddenly been rewarded with success as a direct result of splashing the cash last summer. They've been a financial basket case for years. One relatively good season and suddenly their model is deemed the way to go? They signed a few decent players but let's just wait and see if their success is sustained over any period of time first.