PDA

View Full Version : Williams in The Sun

Gus Fring
21-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Just read the interview with him in the Sun. He lays into the players for how they've been playing recently. He's clearly not happy. He's apparently gone in the summer so I don't understand why he'd bother giving the interview if he's only got 4 games left.

jimmyboco1875
21-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Williams can gtf, he's been just as poor as the rest of the team

J-C
21-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Just read the interview with him in the Sun. He lays into the players for how they've been playing recently. He's clearly not happy. He's apparently gone in the summer so I don't understand why he'd bother giving the interview if he's only got 4 games left.

Maybe letting everyone know why he's going, obviously not happy with the way things are at Hibs and telling us that, TBH would you want to be there right now?

PeterboroHibee
21-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Whatever peoples opinions are of Williams, he is right with what he says! However, I imagine the players who are 'soft and spoiled' arent going to react to criticism (at least not positively).

Cropley10
21-04-2014, 12:02 PM

Maybe he's leaving because he doesn't like the way Hibs are set up? :dunno:

Golden Bear
21-04-2014, 12:07 PM
If the interview is meant as a spur to our under achievers then great, but I've a feeling the poor wee critters will bury themselves even further beneath their comfort stone.

KeithTheHibby
21-04-2014, 12:07 PM

Utter rubbish. Williams has been decent this season and will be hard to replace. He is about the only player in that team who hasn't been dropped so that should tell you something.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Anybody able to copy and paste the interview?

Golden Bear
21-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Utter rubbish. Williams has been decent this season and will be hard to replace. He is about the only player in that team who hasn't been dropped so that should tell you something.

:agree:

He's had a few iffy moments but there again every 'keeper does.

Lmc2105
21-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Anybody able to copy and paste the interview?

HIBS keeper Ben Williams has launched an astonishing attack on his own team as they lurch towards a relegation play-off.
The Easter Road No.1 branded Terry Butcher’s men “soft and spoiled” in the wake of their fifth straight loss, a 2-0 defeat by St Mirren (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/st-mirren-2-hibs-0-3434784), who scored after just 12 seconds and played the last hour with 10 men after captain Jim Goodwin was sent off.
Williams said: “People will say Hibs have been soft this season and we have been, without a shadow of a doubt. We’ve been soft. We’re spoiled. We have a fantastic ground and a fantastic training ground.
“As players we say the same things, the manager says the same things and I dare the say the fans are sick of hearing the same things.
“What we aren’t doing is performing on the pitch. That’s what we need to address and it starts on Sunday against Hearts.”
Williams’s scathing verdict may not go down well with his team-mates but he believes he had to speak out because livelihoods are at risk as relegation looms.
Hibs hardly laid a glove on Danny Lennon’s team and the keeper could barely contain his disgust as he let rip at his side which is now just three points clear of second-bottom Ross County.
He said: “We need characters who will step up and not concede after a ridiculous amount of time.
“The problem is simple – we are not scoring goals and we are conceding them.
“We are letting the club and the supporters down. We are letting everyone who pays us a wage down.”

Hibdan12
21-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I thought he came across well tbh. Intresting when he said about not getting contract untill he see's what is happening here. Maybe his future depends on if we stay in premiership

Scouse Hibee
21-04-2014, 12:15 PM
At least he's talking (pity it's in that rag though) haven't heard anything from our club captain!

jimmyboco1875
21-04-2014, 12:16 PM

I'm no saying he's not the best keeper we have but I am saying he's been rubbish apart from first 10 games or something this season

Glory Lurker
21-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Well, can't argue with any of that.

Don Giovanni
21-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Williams is easily the best keeper we've had since Andersson & won't be easy to replace.

erin go bragh
21-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Talk is cheap . That rag of a paper should have been forced to shut down after the lies it spewed after Hillsburgh . Despise that paper with a passion .

Ggtth

rcarter1
21-04-2014, 12:21 PM
I thought he came across well tbh. Intresting when he said about not getting contract untill he see's what is happening here. Maybe his future depends on if we stay in premiership

Agree. Williams is definitely not the problem at the club. We've had keepers in the past that have undermined good work from the rest of the team. Not the situation right now. Im glad he's said what he said. If nothing else it is confirming that theres a soft as s/// core to the squad. Williams whether he stays or not is at least showing some spirit.

Time to get proper into these Jambos, and anyone else not up for it can lick their proverbials in a pram… :grr:

TheReg!
21-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I can't see why any of his team mates would pull him up about his remarks, they are 100% spot on. The problem is with the formation and tactics that TB is trying to establish with a team clearly not able to carry out due to many different reasons, 442 with a pass and move type of game with possession as IMHO this will suit our type of players. I honestly believe we will beat them next week as this has to stop at some point.

Cabbage East
21-04-2014, 12:25 PM
It's mental that folk on here are criticising Williams, there's loads to slate the club about just now but he's not one of them. How can anyone disagree with what he's saying?

Capt Mainwaring
21-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Williams is spot on with his assessment. Soft gutless and cowardly - an apt discription for most of the playing staff.

Williams is not exempt from criticism, but for me he's the best Goalie we've had for many seasons and we'd do well to sign him up for a further contract

stevejordan
21-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Got to laugh they asked Jim Duffy if he thinks we will go into the play offs and he thinks we will why ask that clown ? total rag of a paper.

scuttle
21-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Perhaps he is speaking on Butchers behalf as he [Butcher] seems to be repeating himself after every game

Pretty Boy
21-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Good interview, tells it like it is imo.

Hope it gives a few a boot up the erse but I have my doubts.

Don Giovanni
21-04-2014, 12:37 PM
After reading the content of the interview I think Willaims sees a club failing to fulfill it's potential (exactly what many on here have been saying for years).
He was probably sold on the "fantastic ground and fantastic training ground" when he signed but comes across as sorely disappointed with where we are and the way things have worked out.

As a Hibby I'd love him to stay, give us a solid base and provide a wee bit continuity.
Trying to be objective, he'd probably be better moving to club that matches his ambition :boohoo:

Heedersnvolleys
21-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Perhaps he is speaking on Butchers behalf as he [Butcher] seems to be repeating himself after every game
Yip that is the scary bit for me, Butcher saying the same thing over and over and not having a clue how to deal with it. I keep hearing that this run will will have to end soon as it can't go on forever but if we keep playing like we have been I don't see where?????

He has changed the players enough he has got to change something else now and that is the style/formation/tactics.....

What worked at ICT is not working here and Butcher has to stop being so stubborn and be big enough to accept that and change.

cabbageandribs1875
21-04-2014, 12:51 PM
It's mental that folk on here are criticising Williams, there's loads to slate the club about just now but he's not one of them. How can anyone disagree with what he's saying?

because they are adamant that it's TB/MM's fault, imo williams is blaming the real culprits...the players :agree: if he's leaving after the next four games it would be easy to blame the management as well, but he's not

WestEndHibee
21-04-2014, 01:10 PM

He's had a few iffy moments but there again every 'keeper does.

:agree: Especially when playing behind a lacklustre defence and facing more than your fair share of attacks.

chinaman
21-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Got to laugh they asked Jim Duffy if he thinks we will go into the play offs and he thinks we will why ask that clown ? total rag of a paper.
And so did the drink sozzled , jakey faced, soldier of ulster moron andy "the prod" goram

Moulin Yarns
21-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Terry forcing the team to watch the game today instead of a day off.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/terry-butcher-cancels-hibs-players-day-off-1-3382809

Ronniekirk
21-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Terry forcing the team to watch the game today instead of a day off.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/terry-butcher-cancels-hibs-players-day-off-1-3382809

Not sure what that achieves unless followed up by good coaching sessions and try to build players confidence up He needs set team which will accommodate Robertson when fit and stick with it .But he doesn't know what that is .Unless he does that all the chopping and changing gets us no where as players need to adjust to new team mates .Craig played out of position has been poor .Get him back to natural position and let him get shots at goal he is one of the best strikers of the ball His goal at Partick and tannadice have shown that .We need to play to strengths over next few weeks and we don't have many Cummings showed a willingness to shoot so let him ,he hS to break his duck at some point where as Collins and Hayes don't look like they will

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Surely the repeated use of the word " we", indicates that he is not making himself exempt? Mind you, when some of the serial non-triers try to pick up a gig for next season somewhere else, we might hear quite a few bleats of " it wisnae me"

Leith Green
21-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Reads to me like he is trying to distance himself from the rest of the team, probs for the benefit of whichever club he joins, decent keeper but well over rated by some folk

hibee_girl
21-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Everything Williams says there is true

Onion
21-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Because he one of the very few Hibs players who is blameless in this latest disastrous run, and he can say what he likes about his fellow players as he'll not have to play with this lot again :greengrin

GGTTHibees
21-04-2014, 02:56 PM
He has been one of our best players this season.

GGTTHibees
21-04-2014, 03:06 PM
:top marks

The_Exile
21-04-2014, 03:20 PM
At least he sounds like he cares, and he's hurting, nice to see a bit of professional pride in one of our main players. I'm actually looking forward to Sunday, will have to watch it on the telly unfortunately but I'm expecting a win, never said that about a derby before.

Stax
21-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Can't really argue with Bill Leckie's article in the same paper either.

Billy Whizz
21-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Can't really argue with Bill Leckie's article in the same paper either.

What did Bill say

Stax
21-04-2014, 03:30 PM
What did Bill say
Article called "unfit for purpose" this hibs team needs butchered. Pretty scathing but hard to argue with..

Humo
21-04-2014, 03:33 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/soft-hibs-look-like-relegation-fodder-williams-1-3382628

matty_f
21-04-2014, 03:35 PM
I am really pleased that Williams has called the players out on that. We have said similar for a long time so maybe it's finally starting to hit home to a few of them. Good pros will want to win regardless of their surroundings, too many at Hibs think that they've made it already and it shows in their performances.

Can someone copy and paste the Bill Leckie article please?

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Williams can gtf, he's been just as poor as the rest of the teamNot even close, we would be in a much worse position without him.

Jim44
21-04-2014, 06:17 PM
“People will say that Hibs have been soft this season and we have been, without a shadow of a doubt,” the 31-year-old said. “Honestly, we’ve been soft. We’re spoiled. We have a fantastic ground and a fantastic training ground."

This statement says a lot for me. It certainly explains a lot of their pathetic performances this season. Unfortunately, it's not a problem you can solve overnight which makes our predicament really worrying.

Monts
21-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Is it just me that thinks he hasn't really been that scathing, it's just the bumf around it making it seem like he was being harsh?

ancient hibee
21-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Is it just me that thinks he hasn't really been that scathing, it's just the bumf around it making it seem like he was being harsh?

It's just you.

emerald green
21-04-2014, 06:43 PM

This. :top marks

Beefster
21-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Good interview, tells it like it is imo.

Hope it gives a few a boot up the erse but I have my doubts.

It's good that he's saying it publicly but he's probably been saying it in the dressing room already (to hee-haw effect).

At least it's Williams saying it, if it had been Butcher some folk would have been right on the case about his man-management.

emerald green
21-04-2014, 06:45 PM
And so did the drink sozzled , jakey faced, soldier of ulster moron andy "the prod" goram

And this. :top marks

Jonnyboy
21-04-2014, 06:53 PM
HIBS keeper Ben Williams has launched an astonishing attack on his own team as they lurch towards a relegation play-off.
The Easter Road No.1 branded Terry Butcher’s men “soft and spoiled” in the wake of their fifth straight loss, a 2-0 defeat by St Mirren (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/st-mirren-2-hibs-0-3434784), who scored after just 12 seconds and played the last hour with 10 men after captain Jim Goodwin was sent off.
Williams said: “People will say Hibs have been soft this season and we have been, without a shadow of a doubt. We’ve been soft. We’re spoiled. We have a fantastic ground and a fantastic training ground.
“As players we say the same things, the manager says the same things and I dare the say the fans are sick of hearing the same things.
“What we aren’t doing is performing on the pitch. That’s what we need to address and it starts on Sunday against Hearts.”
Williams’s scathing verdict may not go down well with his team-mates but he believes he had to speak out because livelihoods are at risk as relegation looms.
Hibs hardly laid a glove on Danny Lennon’s team and the keeper could barely contain his disgust as he let rip at his side which is now just three points clear of second-bottom Ross County.
He said: “We need characters who will step up and not concede after a ridiculous amount of time.
“We are letting the club and the supporters down. We are letting everyone who pays us a wage down.”

Been plenty of folk on here saying much the same so not sure why some have dismissed it as cheap talking. I don't see anything in there that I disagree with

weonlywon6-2
21-04-2014, 07:47 PM

About time we heard something from the players.He is spot on and i hope it helps kick some backsides in the team.
Also,curious he says that they are spoilt with the ground and the training facilities,bizarre really,surely the better the tools the better the job???

cabbageandribs1875
21-04-2014, 09:22 PM
i have a feeling Ben williams won't be Mr popular at training sessions this week

Jonnyboy
21-04-2014, 09:44 PM
i have a feeling Ben williams won't be Mr popular at training sessions this week

At least if he stays in goals they wont be able to hit him with any shots :greengrin

HibbyAndy
21-04-2014, 09:47 PM
At least if he stays in goals they wont be able to hit him with any shots :greengrin

:hilarious

Love it Jonnyboy :greengrin

The Green Goblin
21-04-2014, 10:22 PM

:greengrin

monktonharp
21-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Not sure what that achieves unless followed up by good coaching sessions and try to build players confidence up He needs set team which will accommodate Robertson when fit and stick with it .But he doesn't know what that is .Unless he does that all the chopping and changing gets us no where as players need to adjust to new team mates .Craig played out of position has been poor .Get him back to natural position and let him get shots at goal he is one of the best strikers of the ball His goal at Partick and tannadice have shown that .We need to play to strengths over next few weeks and we don't have many Cummings showed a willingness to shoot so let him ,he hS to break his duck at some point where as Collins and Hayes don't look like they will:agree:I'm warming to you, Ron. Craig, I'm not too sure but do tell......what is his natural position? Robertson is a big miss at the moment but I assume we is injured. we are now missing a good few of our experienced players at a crucial time and had to live with that over a few weeks, bad luck, or Hibs luck, both the same imho. up front we must play the laddie Cummings, and despite some of his very poor performances I'd like to see our current LB playing , instead of using Lewis Stevenson because he aint no LB. a good hardworking midfielder, nae class but puts a shift in.cant think who we'd use to partner Cummings and I get the feeling that Butcher will try to flood the midfield rather than play 442. even at hame against them

The Hibee Harp
22-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Williams has no interest in team harmony, as witnessed by a few Lancashirehibs fans on the train on the way back from Celtic park at Christmas.

Personally i will be glad when this prick is out the door and as far away from the club as possible.

What happened on the train? :confused:

GreenArmyyy!
22-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Ridiculous statement and incredible harsh.