PDA

View Full Version : Goodwin

HibeesLittleHel
21-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Refrained from posting until after the weekend in order to read what was said about Goodwin's sending off. As I suspected very little. From where I watched as Goodwin deployed a premeditated assault on Thomson because he saw a player capable of outplaying his team mates. It was dirty,cynical and deliberate. Yet it goes relatively unpunished and barely commented on apart from one report that accused Thomson of making more of it than it was. Danny Haynes (I'm no fan) got royally condemned for a petulant stamp on an opposing player which was totally wrong but powder puff compared to the potentially leg breaking "tackle" Goodwin deployed at Paisley.
Maybe I'm paranoid but it strikes me that the media revel in dissing the Hibs and are far more restrained when critical of other clubs and wrong doing. Going back to my shelter now in anticipation of a pre-emptive strike from the Russians!

Gus Fring
21-04-2014, 11:12 AM
After watching it again from several angles I don't think it was as bad as it looked in person. He's gotten away with much worse.

Scouse Hibee
21-04-2014, 11:16 AM
I don't think it was that bad a tackle, certainly not a straight red card.

Hibi
21-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Refrained from posting until after the weekend in order to read what was said about Goodwin's sending off. As I suspected very little. From where I watched as Goodwin deployed a premeditated assault on Thomson because he saw a player capable of outplaying his team mates. It was dirty,cynical and deliberate. Yet it goes relatively unpunished and barely commented on apart from one report that accused Thomson of making more of it than it was. Danny Haynes (I'm no fan) got royally condemned for a petulant stamp on an opposing player which was totally wrong but powder puff compared to the potentially leg breaking "tackle" Goodwin deployed at Paisley.
Maybe I'm paranoid but it strikes me that the media revel in dissing the Hibs and are far more restrained when critical of other clubs and wrong doing. Going back to my shelter now in anticipation of a pre-emptive strike from the Russians!

Totally agree, think it was a shocker. He lined him up and made no real attempt for the ball as he was so fixated on Thompson. Definite red for an awful player who continues to carry on like a thug, there is being hard (which we could do with) and then just being a tube. The fact he missed him with his first foot is just fortunate for Thompson. He is an erse of Hammil size proportions.

Carheenlea
21-04-2014, 11:19 AM
It certainly didn't look overly bad on television, but the OP seems to have had a better angle at the game, and those who are protesting the strongest about the tackle/assault are those who were in attendance.

Shouldn't be too difficult to take their word for it as Goodwin is an animal who should have no place in Scottish football.

PeeJay
21-04-2014, 11:24 AM
I only saw the challenge on the SPFL You Tube channel thingy, but it didn't look like a straight read to me - seems to be yet another example of a poor refereeing decision - a yellow would have sufficed.

greenlex
21-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I was at the game and at the time thought no more than a yellow. As has been pointed out he has done worse and got away with it. Karmas a bitch. He made the challenge and asked the ref to make a decision. The ref did and called it red. Stupid and wreckless so if you gamble and lose then you've only yourself to blame. He didn't even nee to make the challenge as Thomson was gping nowhere so in my mind it was a bit cynical. I don't know how the OP can claoim he went unpunished as he got a red. What more do you want?

Jack
21-04-2014, 11:44 AM
I thought it was a red but only saw it on the telly, others in the pub were split.

He's certainly got away with worse, much worse, so for the yellow card folk, as the say ... it evens itself out in the long term.

Eyrie
21-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Thomson was already falling from the initial challenge and Goodwin launched in with his feet off the ground and leading with his studs. Straight red.

3pm
21-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Red card for me.

CB_NO3
21-04-2014, 11:59 AM
It is a stonewall red. 5 years ago it would have been a booking, 30 year ago it would have been a foul only, todays modern game the way Fifa and Uefa want the game played as a non contact sport its a stonewall red. Not saying its the right decision but when you go in with that intent, miss the ball completely and have the studs off the ground, you make it easy for the ref. You see them all time down south giving as a red.

CallumLaidlaw
21-04-2014, 12:23 PM
I didn't think it was a red on first viewing, but on the view from behind him, his leading leg is high, well over the ball. He only catches Thomo with his trailing foot but it was a wreckless challenge. I'm surprised Stevie Thompson said it will easily win an appeal as I think the fact he was over the ball will dismiss an appeal.

KingFranck
21-04-2014, 12:32 PM
He made zero attempt for the ball and went in to do Thommo straight red was correct.

Heedersnvolleys
21-04-2014, 12:33 PM
I think the ref was influenced by the earlier tackle he had on Harris which he let go unpunished which I thought was just as bad.

hibeemikey21
21-04-2014, 12:40 PM
It is a stonewall red. 5 years ago it would have been a booking, 30 year ago it would have been a foul only, todays modern game the way Fifa and Uefa want the game played as a non contact sport its a stonewall red. Not saying its the right decision but when you go in with that intent, miss the ball completely and have the studs off the ground, you make it easy for the ref. You see them all time down south giving as a red.

Yep. Current day red.

Didn't think it was all that bad (Thommo certainly hammed it up), but nowadays you take intent, momentum etc all into account. Was he full in control?

It is funny to think that a couple of decades ago, no one would have even blinked at that. Careers must have been shorter.

mutley
21-04-2014, 12:41 PM
I don't think it was a straight red, however, I don't really care. For once a decision went in our favour and yet we could not use the advantage.

Geo_1875
21-04-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't think it was that bad a tackle, certainly not a straight red card.

It was uncontrolled and reckless so worthy of a red card. However, a number of players have received lesser or no punishment for worse challenges on Hibs players. Thompson on Sportscene reckons it will be rescinded on appeal.

Eyrie
21-04-2014, 06:12 PM
St Mirren have decided to appeal (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27103188) on the basis that there was no contact. Thomson must have spilt ketchup on his knee then.

ancient hibee
21-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Thomson's leg was definitely cut-even Stuart Bathgate noticed it.

emerald green
21-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Goodwin is a midden, playing for St Midden.

greenlex
21-04-2014, 06:49 PM
St Mirren have decided to appeal (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27103188) on the basis that there was no contact. Thomson must have spilt ketchup on his knee then.It wont matter a jot if there was contact or not. If its seen as reckless or worse intentional then the red will be upheld. I think it will be reduced to a yellow.

DH1875
21-04-2014, 07:12 PM
For what it's worth. I don't think it was a red card.

Argylehibby
21-04-2014, 08:46 PM
I didn't think it was a red on first viewing, but on the view from behind him, his leading leg is high, well over the ball. He only catches Thomo with his trailing foot but it was a wreckless challenge. I'm surprised Stevie Thompson said it will easily win an appeal as I think the fact he was over the ball will dismiss an appeal.

How come this guy can say what he wants on TV time and time again and never gets pulled up for it? "Never a red card"; "easy appeal"; "Thomson made the most of it" and the same type of comment when Goodwin was sent off at ER, all critical of opponents and referees but no action taken by compliance officer. sparky sings in front of Hibs fans in a pub and gets a 2 match ban, Thomson accuses players of cheating on national TV and nothing happens. :dunno:
On topic though, at the time thought it was a red card and still do. He tried to do Thomson and you don't get off with it just because you miss.

22-04-2014, 09:54 AM
During the match I missed the incident - the reason, at 2-0 I decided to head for an early half-time pie! Only seen the TV images this morning and whats notable for me is that the ref appears to have blown for a foul slightly before Goodwin's challenge. For Goodwin to say he didn't make contact is a disgrace. Had Thomson been carrying his bodyweight on his left leg this challenge could have ended in serious injury.