PDA

View Full Version : Boy do we miss Paul Hanlon!

California-Hibs
20-04-2014, 05:30 PM
I've been quick to criticize Paul at certains, but he is undoubtably our best all round defender. We have miss him in that defense big style over the past few weeks! Him getting injuried has been a very unfortunate disaster for us.

Bronson
20-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Aye he's been a huge miss, would feel much better with him and Forster at centre half than Nelson.

Him and Robertson have both been missed badly.

Nameless
20-04-2014, 05:44 PM
I doubt he would make much of an impact on this team. We miss him, but we'd still be in this mess with him playing.

California-Hibs
20-04-2014, 05:47 PM
I doubt he would make much of an impact on this team. We miss him, but we'd still be in this mess with him playing.

Sorry, but he'd make an impact no doubt!

matty_f
20-04-2014, 05:49 PM
The thing with Hanlon being out is it means we have to re-shuffle two positions, as Forster comes in from right back to centre half, then the near-retired Maybury has to play right back. When McGivern is out as well, that's 3/4 of the defence in make-shift positions. Not exactly a solid foundation from which to build.

Nameless
20-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Sorry, but he'd make an impact no doubt!

Would he score a load of goals?
Would he add pace to the team?
Would he give us creativity in midfield?
Would he give us width?
I think we are stronger with him, but his current absence does not impact on where we find ourselves.

madhatter
20-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Would he give us width?
I think we are stronger with him, but his current absence does not impact on where we find ourselves.

I see where you are coming from, and the answer to all of those questions is pretty much no.

However, Hanlon is not a great defender but he is considerably better than anyone else we have in defence - both in defending and distribution. Not a huge lover of him but no team in the world with their best defender out could say having him back would not have a massive impact.

I also don't like playing 2 right-footed CH because you need one of them able to clear properly with their left-foot or at least have the confidence to try - otherwise you get the idiotic scenario of a player stretching with the wrong foot...

greenlex
20-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Yes is the answer.

matty_f
20-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Would he give us width?

By that logic we could play without a goalkeeper, because the goalkeeper adds none of those things.

We'd sure as hell miss a keeper, though.

Jonnyboy
20-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Would he give us width?

He's a defender so not really expected to add pace, creativity,width or goals. What he would do is improve a defence that leaks goals through its centre in every game

Pretty Boy
20-04-2014, 07:16 PM
The thing with Hanlon being out is it means we have to re-shuffle two positions, as Forster comes in from right back to centre half, then the near-retired Maybury has to play right back. When McGivern is out as well, that's 3/4 of the defence in make-shift positions. Not exactly a solid foundation from which to build.

This.

Saorsa
20-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Class thread, funny when he was playing there was a thread on here almost every week blaming him for something, odd then that it's gotten a whole lot worse since he's been out. Easily the best defender at this club and has never been the problem IMO.

Nameless
20-04-2014, 07:36 PM
By that logic we could play without a goalkeeper, because the goalkeeper adds none of those things.

We'd sure as hell miss a keeper, though.

Not really. My comment is about the player, not the position. Yes, Hanlon is probably our best defender, but our most emergent issue is lack of fire power. My point stands, yes we miss him, but we would still be in this mess were he playing or not.

Onceinawhile
20-04-2014, 07:36 PM
We would probably lose gamed 1-0 instead of 2-0. Unfortunately that's all it would change.

Michael
20-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Hanlon, Robertson and Stevenson are the only senior players that I'd definitely keep (if we stay up).

I've never understood the hate for Hanlon and Stevenson from some fans.

...WentToMowAnSPL
20-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Spot on
I wish TB would promote like for like from under 20s rather than twisting the whole team out of kilter and depriving us of Lewis in a more forward position

hfc rd
20-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Think we have missed Scott Robertson more than Paul Hanlon. Since he got injured in the derby win back on Jan 2nd, that is when this dreadful run of form has started.

Heedersnvolleys
20-04-2014, 10:00 PM
We brought a RB/CH from Arsenals reserves surely for these particular situations but is never played, still don't understand that loan:confused:

Steve-O
20-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Hanlon has been part of this shambles for going on 6 years. Never been good enough IMO. Best of a terrible bunch of defenders.

Steve-O
20-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Hanlon, Robertson and Stevenson are the only senior players that I'd definitely keep (if we stay up).

I've never understood the hate for Hanlon and Stevenson from some fans.

Look up mediocre in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Lewis Stevenson.

Sorry, but these players are just not good enough and persisting with them is part of the reason we've been ganting for their entire careers!