PDA

View Full Version : NHC Mic'd up officials?

Sylar
19-04-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm currently watching the French cup final (Olympique Lyon 0-1 PSG after 15 minutes) and the referee and linesmen are mic'd up; so similar to rugby, you can hear them talking through their decisions and speaking to the players.

Despite the obvious risk of bad language/censorship requirements for broadcasters, I think this would be a great addition to the game here in the UK and give some degree of accountability for their decisions. So far, the players have managed to avoid swearing at him (despite it being quite a testy encounter) but he's been clear to explain the fouls and instructing players how/how not to behave or talk to him.

I'd love to see them try this out on a wider basis, as it works brilliantly in some other sports.

CropleyWasGod
19-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm currently watching the French cup final (Olympique Lyon 0-1 PSG after 15 minutes) and the referee and linesmen are mic'd up; so similar to rugby, you can hear them talking through their decisions and speaking to the players.

Despite the obvious risk of bad language/censorship requirements for broadcasters, I think this would be a great addition to the game here in the UK and give some degree of accountability for their decisions. So far, the players have managed to avoid swearing at him (despite it being quite a testy encounter) but he's been clear to explain the fouls and instructing players how/how not to behave or talk to him.

I'd love to see them try this out on a wider basis, as it works brilliantly in some other sports.

IIRC, it started in rugby with the ref's comments only going to the commentators. That would be a good place for fitba to start.

Sylar
19-04-2014, 07:31 PM
IIRC, it started in rugby with the ref's comments only going to the commentators. That would be a good place for fitba to start.

I'd agree. Holistic implementation isn't likely to work as the language of some players is shockingly bad (you don't need the mics to pick up some of their dialogue) but it would be great to have something that gives us a refereeing perspective.

The_Exile
19-04-2014, 08:34 PM
There was a ref that wore a video camera, think it might have been an MLS game? Was pretty fascinating seeing and hearing what went on during a game from the refs perspective. Tough gig for sure.