PDA

View Full Version : Butcher's interview

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-04-2014, 04:37 PM
"Sometimes it's good to lose an early goal, because it takes away the pressure of worrying about conceding a goal, because you have conceded."

:faf:

SaulGoodman
19-04-2014, 04:38 PM
I'm starting to think ICT have sent him deep undercover.

What have we ever done to them?

SouthamptonHibs
WTf? Did he really say that? We are doomed we have a mad man loose on the team

dmc1875
He sounded like a man completely lost

Hibercelona
19-04-2014, 04:39 PM
"Sometimes it's good to lose an early goal, because it takes away the pressure of worrying about conceding a goal, because you have conceded."

Has he pulled out the "a team plays better with 10 men" line yet?

Saorsa
19-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm starting to think ICT have sent him deep undercover.

What have we ever done to them?Maybe he's working for the stickies tae try and get back at Mr. Sporting Integrity.

superbam
19-04-2014, 04:40 PM
He sounded desperate

Jim44
19-04-2014, 04:40 PM

Incredible!!!! The guys a fool.

SteveHFC
19-04-2014, 04:41 PM

SaulGoodman
19-04-2014, 04:42 PM
"Sometimes it good to get Relegated, because it takes away the pressure of being relegated, because you've been relegated"

Sean1875
19-04-2014, 04:42 PM
All that says to me is that there is no belief amongst the players. Shouldnt be 'worrying' about conceding a goal, they should be attacking with faith in the man beside them and the man playing behind them can hold tight and not let anything slip. Either that or its just a complete bollocks statement with no real thought or meaning put into it. Both theories equally plausible.

FitbaFolkKen
19-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Thomson sounded like he believed we could stay up, Butcher doesn't.

scuttle
19-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Maybe that was his game plan today

Elephant Stone
19-04-2014, 04:48 PM
"Sometimes it good to get Relegated, because it takes away the pressure of being relegated, because you've been relegated"

:hilarious

Scottie
19-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Shaking ma heid reading this page

The man by all accounts is a born leader well he's doing a great ****in job in leading us straight down to the 1st division .At least he's going to guarantee us a few trips to the PBS next season :confused:

Bertie's XI
19-04-2014, 04:50 PM
can someone send a link of Butchers Interview?

Pretty Boy
19-04-2014, 04:51 PM

Made me chuckle..

Hibercelona
19-04-2014, 04:52 PM

:agree:

Sometimes it's good to get sacked, because it takes away the pressure of being sacked, because you've been sacked.

Hibercelona
19-04-2014, 04:53 PM
can someone send a link of Butchers Interview?

idontknowwhatimtalkingabout.org/butcher

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 04:54 PM

Sometimes it's good to get sacked, because it takes away the pressure of being sacked, because you've been sacked.

:hilarious

Got to say though sometimes if you lose an early goal you come into the game cos the team that've scored think its going to be easy. Unfortunately today it was easy!

Scorrie
19-04-2014, 04:54 PM

Now that made me laugh out loud!!😆

GordonR
19-04-2014, 04:56 PM
"Sometimes it's good to get kicked in the baws right at the start of a fight, because it takes away the worry about going into a rammy with a pair of sore baws."

Wighty76
19-04-2014, 04:58 PM
What a pratt. And I thought that the match report on official site was bad.

GTF

leggeto
19-04-2014, 05:00 PM
I think he is running out of things to say tbh,the same interview questions for the last 2 months

Smartie
19-04-2014, 05:01 PM
I think I can see his point. The past few games I actually think we've started ok then lost a horrible goal at a similar time (15-20 mins in). The self-belief has then evaporated and we've gone on to play poorly.
Instead of fearing losing the first goal we actually did it very early today so there was no real need to fear it any more.
I think fear has been a huge factor in recent weeks. Not today, it was simply playing badly both in defence and attack.

snooky
19-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Socratic folk ken what's going oan.

Jones28
19-04-2014, 05:04 PM

Sometimes it's good to just be *****, because it takes away the pressure of being *****, because you've been *****.

matty_f
He sounded totally bewildered at what he's seeing from his players. To me he sounded very much like he was holding himself back from ripping right into them.

While I think he should be doing better I do think Butcher is severely handicapped with the squad he has. That back four would give me nightmares, as would or strikers.

Springbank
Sometimes its good to pass the football to a man in green because it takes the pressure off your defence and allows you to attack the opposition

Aka

The kinds of things I haven't heard a Hibs manager say since John Collins left

Alfred E Newman
19-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I think I can see his point. The past few games I actually think we've started ok then lost a horrible goal at a similar time (15-20 mins in). The self-belief has then evaporated and we've gone on to play poorly.
Instead of fearing losing the first goal we actually did it very early today so there was no real need to fear it any more.
I think fear has been a huge factor in recent weeks. Not today, it was simply playing badly both in defence and attack.

The van with the men in white coats is coming for Butcher and I think you should get on it as well.

gillythehibby
19-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Real fitba' people ken what he's oan aboot likesay :greengrin

Bertie's XI
19-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Where about can you hear his interview?

loanheadhibby
19-04-2014, 05:11 PM

If no one posts a link get yourself to nearest looney bin and the patients will talk about the same sense!

the man has completely lost the plot.

SaulGoodman
19-04-2014, 05:11 PM

The state Hospital

Hibercelona
19-04-2014, 05:13 PM

Out his erse.

scuttle
19-04-2014, 05:13 PM

the moon.... as he appears to be wired to it

sleeping giant
19-04-2014, 05:17 PM
He did say those words but it has been taken well out of context on here.

He didn't just come out and say he was glad we conceded FFS.

Centre Hawf
19-04-2014, 05:20 PM

Listen to the previous 7/8 interviews and you'll get the same idea.

Sir David Gray
19-04-2014, 05:26 PM
I believe Butcher is genuinely shocked at the size of the task he's got ahead of him and is flabbergasted at what he's seeing every week.

That's the only explanation I can offer.

jeffers
19-04-2014, 05:30 PM
I believe Butcher is genuinely shocked at the size of the task he's got ahead of him and is flabbergasted at what he's seeing every week.

Or Butcher is genuinely shocked at the mess he's made of things and is flabbergasted at what he's seeing every week.

Springbank
19-04-2014, 05:35 PM
If any players are found uptown between now and the derby they'll deserve what they get:

Ridicule from nonHibees
And
A good shooing from Hibees

This lot are not people I can take seriously

Jordan Foster expressing sympathy for hearts in the press before the last derby? Choob. Let's see how much sympathy they have for you this week Jordan lad.

Time our players learned the law of the jungle : kill or be killed. Right now they look like prey

Scorrie
19-04-2014, 05:55 PM

But when he first came in he was getting a reaction from these players and he got some decent results. The size of the task now is due to his management of these players over the last three months and his complete lack of tactical awareness

Ronniekirk
19-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Sometimes it's good not to score a goal as the element of surprises is with you ,the opposition have no idea when we are going to score ,and they start to worry it's going to be against them .
Sometimes is good to go on a long losing run then when the team finally win they will have forgotten what that feels like and will enjoy the win even more
All the bravado we heard when he came in has been knocked out of him .T B think what you did when you first came in and went on an unbeaten run and get back to that as this chopping and changing every week just means players take time to adjust and to be frank with you we don't have time for you to fanny about anymore Whatever you think you are doing isn't working You had two weeks to work with a team for this game and the last thing this lot needed was to loose a goal in 12 seconds .So don't event try and turn that into a positive when you know and we know and the opposition know that that is in effect game won for them .Stop insulting the magnificent support and get your finger out and get it sorted :confused:

Baader
19-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Has he not realised yet that we only need to concede once to lose? We can't score goals!

Beefster
19-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Not good when he's already at the Fenlon stage of not being able to say anything without folk twisting it and jumping on it.

matty_f
19-04-2014, 06:08 PM

Correct, I'll be honest and say that the way managers get hounded like this by some Hibs fans, and what I mean is when people pick up any small thing that they can and twist it, f****** disgusts me. This isn't about blaming the fans for the performances or anything like that - for me the support at the games is virtually beyond reproach, we've turned up in big numbers over the last few years and been shat on time and time again for our efforts.

What irks me is that people find any reason to stick the boot in. Butcher sounded bewildered in his interview, he sounded upset and angry and hurt. He sounded like a manager that's just lost a crucial game would be expected to sound.

He should rightly be getting grief for the result and the performance, but when folk start taking wee bits out his interviews to slag him off, it's completely unnecessary and does nothing for anyone, IMHO.

sleeping giant
19-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Not good when he's already at the Fenlon stage of not being able to say anything without folk twisting it and jumping on it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

matty_f
19-04-2014, 06:09 PM
:top marks:

You're not.

madhatter
He knows he made a mistake slaughtering the players in earlier interviews - I honestly think he doesn't know what to say because he really wants to stand and berate the players but knows they need to avoid relegation.

we are hibs
Did he actually say this?

sleeping giant
Correct, I'll be honest and say that the way managers get hounded like this by some Hibs fans, and what I mean is when people pick up any small thing that they can and twist it, f****** disgusts me. This isn't about blaming the fans for the performances or anything like that - for me the support at the games is virtually beyond reproach, we've turned up in big numbers over the last few years and been shat on time and time again for our efforts.

What irks me is that people find any reason to stick the boot in. Butcher sounded bewildered in his interview, he sounded upset and angry and hurt. He sounded like a manager that's just lost a crucial game would be expected to sound.

He should rightly be getting grief for the result and the performance, but when folk start taking wee bits out his interviews to slag him off, it's completely unnecessary and does nothing for anyone, IMHO.

Spot on. Agree completely.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 06:13 PM

Another here.

emerald green
19-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Possibly that's one explanation mate. Either that, or he is just talking complete and utter bollocks. To think only a few short months ago most fans, including myself, though Butcher was an excellent appointment.

kdhibees1
19-04-2014, 06:15 PM
He did mention he will play more of the youngsters for the derby. He sounded raging in the interview. I only caught the tail-end of it.

Stevie Reid
19-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Yet another manager goes from every word being heralded to every word being ridiculed in very short time.

Hard to blame people though, he's made a spectacular mess of things thus far. FWIW, I'd take Fenlon over Butcher for these last four fixtures any day of the week.

Sir David Gray
19-04-2014, 06:17 PM

:agree: The way I see that particular comment is that he thought about saying something in his head and it didn't quite reach his lips and the end result was a comment that didn't actually make much sense.

It happens to everyone from time to time. I'm sure he's not actually pleased that we lost a goal after 13 seconds.

emerald green
19-04-2014, 06:18 PM
If any players are found uptown between now and the derby they'll deserve what they get:

Ridicule from nonHibees
And

Jordan Foster expressing sympathy for hearts in the press before the last derby? Choob. Let's see how much sympathy they have for you this week Jordan lad.

Time our players learned the law of the jungle : kill or be killed. Right now they look like prey

Spot on. The whole club, from top to bottom (I exclude the U20s) is as soft as s**** and has been for years.

Clarence
19-04-2014, 06:18 PM
"Sometimes it's good to be sectioned, because it takes away the pressure of worrying about being sectioned, because you have been sectioned."

Rock back and forth whilst hugging knees tightly and repeat ad nauseum until it's time for medication.

The_Horde
19-04-2014, 06:20 PM
I think a lot of people on here are on their high horse for nothing. He didn't set us out to lose a goal early and he was stating that it wasn't the case this time.

Don't see what's wrong with that tbh

number9dream
19-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Did he actually say this?

Yes. He was talking to Rob Maclean on BBC Radio. He sounded like a broken man. Little of what he said made sense.
Towards the end there was something about "trying to find a team tha will compete and do Hibs proud, but that's very hard at the moment". It was in response to a question about all his changes from week to week.

truehibernian
19-04-2014, 06:25 PM

Ridicule from nonHibees
And

Not strictly true, he expressed a wee bit empathy for some players he was friends with - I'm 100% he would want to win a tiddlywinks game versus Hearts :aok: that said we cannae hit a net that's 24ft x 8ft so what chance he'd have hitting a wee cup is beyond me :greengrin

I absolutely support your general view though - we let derby build ups pass us by where IMO we should be doing media work and working it up them from now until kick off. However Lewis or someone who is a bit of a patsy will get rolled out for an interview with days to go.

I want Nelson, Craig, McPake in particular, Butcher and Rod Petrie issuing battle cries all this week and next.

Won't happen though - Lewis, Taiwo or maybe wee Jason Cummings will get asked to do they difficult stuff. That's no slight on them by the way, wee Lewis in particular would do anything asked of him. The rest - utter cowards.

matty_f
19-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Yes. He was talking to Rob Maclean on BBC Radio. He sounded like a broken man. Little of what he said made sense.
Towards the end there was something about "trying to find a team tha will compete and do Hibs proud, but that's very hard at the moment". It was in response to a question about all his changes from week to week.

I managed to make sense of everything he said.

bawheid
19-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Another here.

And another.

The way folk on this website chew up Hibs managers is unreal. It's been going on since Mixu.

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2014, 06:27 PM

Well that goes nicely along with little of what he does makes any sense too.

ehf
19-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Feel a bit sorry for him; he'll never manage at this level again. But mainly, he and his mental sidekick can gtf.

FitbaFolkKen
19-04-2014, 06:29 PM

Totally agree with this, it's not important there is enough on the park to worry about without picking apart intervews.

HFC 0-7
19-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Don't think there was too much wrong with what he said. Probably saying that the team has been **** scared of losing a goal and because of that haven't been playing as they should. Losing the goal so early would have taken that out of the equation.

i think managers get a very hard time about post match interviews, it must be very difficult not to just vent your spleen after a game like that. It would be very easy to pick on players, the whole team, the ref. they need to try and be level headed.

the biggest mistake he made was publicly talk about some players not being good enough, playing for their futures etc. that only works if the players really really want to be at the club. As it turns out, it looks like quite a few don't and now don't care as their agents are probably lining up new clubs for them.

Waxy
19-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Some of the comments on here have had me in stitches. Funny as

Alfred E Newman
19-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Don't think there was too much wrong with what he said. Probably saying that the team has been **** scared of losing a goal and because of that haven't been playing as they should. Losing the goal so early would have taken that out of the equation.

i think managers get a very hard time about post match interviews, it must be very difficult not to just vent your spleen after a game like that. It would be very easy to pick on players, the whole team, the ref. they need to try and be level headed.

the biggest mistake he made was publicly talk about some players not being good enough, playing for their futures etc. that only works if the players really really want to be at the club. As it turns out, it looks like quite a few don't and now don't care as their agents are probably lining up new clubs for them.
If they are going into games worrying about losing the first goal surely after losing one they are then going to start worrying about losing the second goal.
What a mess the club is in.

.Sean.
19-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Humpy Dumpty sat on a wa'

...then Rodders phoned him, offered him the gig, he became Hibs manager and brought Malpas with him. *****. Gtf.

J-C
19-04-2014, 09:03 PM
So they're scared of losing a goal, no wonder when mad as a hatter Malpas is ready to rip into them at every opportunity.

Onion
19-04-2014, 09:36 PM
He sounded like a man completely lost

:agree: He breezed into Easter Road with his cheeky chappy banter, one liners and amateur psychology background.... and Hibernian FC have royally ****ed that out of him. Now he's a dour fatalist who doesn't have a clue what to do with a bunch of players he's slagged off once too many times and who have downed tools. You can sense the panic in his voice.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 09:38 PM
So they're scared of losing a goal, no wonder when mad as a hatter Malpas is ready to rip into them at every opportunity.

Not that scared obviously.

Heisenberg
19-04-2014, 09:41 PM

They aren't scared. Just rubbish. Nelson and Forster got caught out exactly the same way today as they did against Hearts.

matty_f
19-04-2014, 09:42 PM
They aren't scared. Just rubbish. Nelson and Forster got caught out exactly the same way today as they did against Hearts.

Which isn't surprising because they're a make-shift centre half pairing. :agree:

Expecting Rain
19-04-2014, 09:42 PM
:top marks:
are

You're not.

Matty, your posts are far too logical.

Onion
19-04-2014, 09:43 PM

1 win in 15, zero goals in 4, 5 straight losses, dropping like a stone, relegation candidates ..... will do that to you. The twisting and jumping is not really the problem, is it.

Heisenberg
19-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Which isn't surprising because they're a make-shift centre half pairing. :agree:

Indeed. Playing alongside a makeshift left back and a full back who should have hung up his boots last season makes us very weak at the back.

matty_f
19-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Indeed. Playing alongside a makeshift left back and a full back who should have hung up his boots last season makes us very weak at the back.

:agree: I've mentioned it a couple of times, but that back four gives me nightmares.

Onion
19-04-2014, 09:46 PM

Aren't they both....... centre halfs ?

Being coached by one of England's best .... centre halfs ?

2 full week's prep, they make a right royal cock up and we're 1-0 down in 13 seconds.

stevejordan
19-04-2014, 09:48 PM
1 win in 15, zero goals in 4, 5 straight losses, dropping like a stone, relegation candidates ..... will do that to you. The twisting and jumping is not really the problem, is it.

i am old enough and unfortunatly have seen this all before Duffy Jim. The sad thing is Duffy Jims team would have beat this lot of imposters

matty_f
19-04-2014, 09:49 PM

2 full week's prep, they make a right royal cock up and we're 1-0 down in 13 seconds.

If only it was that simple.

Danderhall Hibs

I'm with you on this one. 12 seconds in FFS that's how long their concentration lasts.

DaveF

I'd be asking questions about our missing midfield for the opening goal rather than the CH's. No one tracking the scorer at all.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 09:50 PM
If only it was that simple.

It shouldn't be as hard as they're making it look.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 09:50 PM
I'd be asking questions about our missing midfield for the opening goal rather than the CH's. No one tracking the scorer at all.

May be the case but if the headers won there's no goal.

matty_f
19-04-2014, 09:51 PM
It shouldn't be as hard as they're making it look.

None of the things that happen on a football pitch should be as hard as they're making it look, to be fair.

DaveF
19-04-2014, 09:53 PM
May be the case but if the headers won there's no goal.

True, but big centre forwards like Thompson do win their fair share of headers, and there are some high balls that centre halves just cannot win.

I think you are being way too harsh on Forster (think it was him) for losing a header and then the goal.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 09:53 PM
None of the things that happen on a football pitch should be as hard as they're making it look, to be fair.

It's 2 centre halfs playing in the position they play not talking to each other. That's it. It's not a midfielder dropping into centre half.

2 guys in their own position can't concentrate for more than 10 seconds.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 09:54 PM
True, but big centre forwards like Thompson do win their fair share of headers, and there are some high balls that centre halves just cannot win.

I think you are being way too harsh on Forster (think it was him) for losing a header and then the goal.

Nelson lost the header for the first, Forster went on a mazy for the 2nd.

DaveF
19-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Nelson lost the header for the first, Forster went on a mazy for the 2nd.

OK, I stand corrected. Main point still valid though and that's the 2nd phase. No one in a green shirt was defending or anticipating it.

That's not the CH's fault.

matty_f
19-04-2014, 09:58 PM
It's 2 centre halfs playing in the position they play not talking to each other. That's it. It's not a midfielder dropping into centre half.

2 guys in their own position can't concentrate for more than 10 seconds.
I've not seen the goals mate, will take your word for it.:aok:

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 09:58 PM
OK, I stand corrected. Main point still valid though and that's the 2nd phase. No one in a green shirt was defending or anticipating it.

That's not the CH's fault.

I'm not disagreeing - they should help them out. But the point remains if they do their job they don't need bailed out.

Root cause...

DaveF
19-04-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm not disagreeing - they should help them out. But the point remains if they do their job they don't need bailed out.

Root cause...

Every goal a team loses has a root cause, so in this instance you are (IMO) being ridiculously picky. You'd be as well saying the fact that we lost the coin toss and St Mirren kicked off was the root cause!

If our centre halves never, ever lost a header - well, they wouldn't be playing for us.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Every goal a team loses has a root cause, so in this instance you are (IMO) being ridiculously picky. You'd be as well saying the fact that we lost the coin toss and St Mirren kicked off was the root cause!

If our centre halves never, ever lost a header - well, they wouldn't be playing for us.

I'd say it's where the first error is made.

Pretty Boy
19-04-2014, 10:09 PM

If St Mirren kicked off then that means we won the coin toss.

(Insert smart erse smiley here).

DaveF
19-04-2014, 10:13 PM
I'd say it's where the first error is made.

Losing a header is an error? OK, I'll bow out here I think :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Losing a header is an error? OK, I'll bow out here I think :greengrin

I knew when I typed it you'd say that. :greengrin

I suppose I just like my centre half to win the first header of the match! It is one of the main parts of his job.

Ronniekirk
19-04-2014, 10:33 PM

Think back to the game at Easter road when Hanlon went off early injured and Stevenson got done twice out wide and foster and Nelson in middle were left like statues They were 3 0 up so they knew what to do The difference between then and now is that we fought our way back with two Collins headers and should have had a penalty .Now we know that this team as is can't do that .Butcher has to accept he has done things wrong .My worry is players are not now playing for him .hence chopping and changing .but no combination he has tried is working so he has nothing to build on for next game and very limited options if he won't use under 20 s players .So against hearts McGivern will go straight back in yet we all know he is gash just now .

Wighty76
19-04-2014, 10:47 PM
What a pratt. And I thought that the match report on official site was bad.

GTF

That was said in the heat of the moment. Let me re phrase it.

I realise he he has to do these interviews but why not just be honest? If he was complacent about possible relegation then he probably thought his strategy would work. Telling players that they had no future at the club might have been his idea of a good idea but it's painfully obvious that it has back fired. If this is the case then man up, admit you cocked it up and tell us your doing what you can to remedy it.

That might not be the problem i can only make an educated guess about what's going on behind the scenes.

Saying stuff like that has left him open to ridicule, possibly alienating more fans.

gegs70
19-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Sometimes I think there's no thought to where we play the ball it's just to get it onto the box, there's no clever play, no one tries to get into danger areas.....it isn't pretty and god knows where a goal will come from. Surely they need.to go back to basics....I wish they would just ping the ball from anywhere...

Beefster
20-04-2014, 08:07 AM

I didn't say it was the problem, did I? I said it was "not good". I stand by that.