PDA

View Full Version : Signings

Ozyhibby
17-04-2014, 04:57 PM
http://terracepodcast.net/scottish-premiership/2014/4/17/success-or-failure

Can't argue with the assessment of Hibs

Diclonius
17-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Pretty decent blog that, seems pretty impartial and not 99.9% wall-to-wall OF coverage.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Pretty decent blog that, seems pretty impartial and not 99.9% wall-to-wall OF coverage.

It's written by a yam I think. He's been more than fair to Hibs in that article.

Wighty76
17-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Did anyone click the links to his other pages? There is one called 2013/14 worst signing. James Collins gets a mention and he says Hibs deny he cost £200 000 and he was a final "eff you in a terrible legacy" from fenlon.

offshorehibby
17-04-2014, 06:28 PM
I could never fathom out the Boateng singing.

Aldo
17-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Did anyone click the links to his other pages? There is one called 2013/14 worst signing. James Collins gets a mention and he says Hibs deny he cost £200 000 and he was a final "eff you in a terrible legacy" from fenlon.

Collins did not cost £200,000 grand. It's a myth. Like the £150,000 grand for LG.

Cannot highlight but Collins has never said anything bout how much he cost so he can't deny something he's not said.

Shake ma head!!

we are hibs
17-04-2014, 08:34 PM
How anyone can say that nelson has been a decent signing is beyond me. The guy is brutal.

greenpaper55
17-04-2014, 08:37 PM
How anyone can say that nelson has been a decent signing is beyond me. The guy is brutal.

Admiral Nelson could turn quicker !.

GreenOnions
17-04-2014, 09:31 PM
I don't think the blogger watches Hibs much. I presume he has named Nelson as a success because he plays most weeks. If there's any other reason then I wouldn't want him identifying players for us. I don't really see how either Heffernan or Watmore can be listed as a success either as neither has played sufficiently due to injury.

Although most on here would probably disagree I still believe Liam Craig's signature will prove to have been a good move. I know that his form has dropped markedly since Christmas but I think he has quality and will show it next season.

For me - that qualifies Liam Craig as the only "success" out of all the players brought in for 2013/14.

It's quite an interesting comparative exercise though because, for me, it highlights they key difference between us and our competitors - that our manager last summer was not able to identify and attract the required quality to ER. The reason Terry Butcher's job is such a difficult one is that this has been allowed to continue for several years. This is what makes it irrelevant that we have an amazing training centre or that our wage bill is higher than other clubs.If we can't spot a player - we're gubbed.

The good news though is that we have talent coming through the ranks that is, IMO, better than most other clubs. If TB can just get a few signings right to bolster this ..............

Eyrie
17-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Craig could have been considered a success based on how he played under Fenlon, but his form under Butcher has been poor at best. I'd like to think that next season we'll see the player we thought we'd signed but I'm not convinced he's a good fit for Butcher's system.

Northernhibee
17-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Michael Nelson was very good for the first half of the season. Doesn't deserve half of the criticism he receives on here.

Michael
17-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Collins did not cost £200,000 grand. It's a myth. Like the £150,000 grand for LG.

Cannot highlight but Collins has never said anything bout how much he cost so he can't deny something he's not said.

Shake ma head!!

Surely the BBC would only report how much Collins cost (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23492855) if they were reliably informed, no?

Aldo
18-04-2014, 05:58 AM
Surely the BBC would only report how much Collins cost (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23492855) if they were reliably informed, no?

The media reliably informed (by whom) and what they report is 2 totally different things.

Just look at recent events.

SouthamptonHibs
18-04-2014, 06:18 AM
I think our % should be zero to be fair. No player has improved us.
Watmore looks promising but has hardly played a game (don't think he has been part of a winning side yet)

Nelson = hoooooof! But is an average SPL defender at best

Michael
18-04-2014, 09:47 AM
The media reliably informed (by whom) and what they report is 2 totally different things.

Just look at recent events.

But it's just reporting the transfer fee of a player (i.e. not a big deal)...what motivation would there be to make up a figure? A large amount of transfers are for an 'undisclosed fee'...wouldn't they just go with that if they were unsure?

Heisenberg
18-04-2014, 09:54 AM
But it's just reporting the transfer fee of a player (i.e. not a big deal)...what motivation would there be to make up a figure? A large amount of transfers are for an 'undisclosed fee'...wouldn't they just go with that if they were unsure?

Hibs said undisclosed fee at the time and I'm sure Petrie has since denied it being 200k at the AGM. No chance we dished out that kind of cash in my opinion.

Ozyhibby
18-04-2014, 09:58 AM
It's possible the £200k figure was leaked by someone at Swindon.
I doubt we paid that.

Fergus52
18-04-2014, 10:14 AM

The fee was undisclosed, a couple of papers went with 200k and it stuck.

Your really going to trust the press over the man who actually sanctioned the deal?

Sir David Gray
18-04-2014, 11:01 AM
I could never fathom out the Boateng singing.

How does that go? :confused:

Don't think i've heard that one before!

Hibercelona
18-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Your really going to trust the press over the man who actually sanctioned the deal?

I'd trust anything over what that man says. :agree:

Diclonius
18-04-2014, 11:06 AM
How does that go? :confused:

Don't think i've heard that one before!

Row, row, row your Boateng? :dunno:

The Modfather
18-04-2014, 11:19 AM
The fee was undisclosed, a couple of papers went with 200k and it stuck.

Difficult to choose between sensational reporting or Petrie's political spin. He has certainly been happy to foster the notion that he paid the 200k quoted.

Beefster
18-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Michael Nelson was very good for the first half of the season. Doesn't deserve half of the criticism he receives on here.

Nelson's defending was 'satisfactory' until his injury. His distribution has been utterly woeful since he signed. Since he came back from the injury, he's just been mince overall.

If he's playing most weeks next season, we've signed the wrong players in the summer.

On the blog, it's over-generous to us. Not one signing could be classed as a success in general. I'm confident the likes of Craig and Collins will eventually be important players though.

Diclonius
18-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Craig will come good if we stick with him. I hope.

The rest - ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

PatHead
18-04-2014, 11:50 AM
I'd trust anything over what that man says. :agree:

Then you would be wrong.

I asked RP directly how much we paid and he indicated a figure at an LWT meeting. Don't know if I should divulge it though as it may have been in confidence. Ask him yourself I remember it well as Rod smiled during the conversation.