PDA

View Full Version : Mcpake

eggbamyasi
17-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Anyone heard more about mcpake ? If hes fit enough would love to see him in instead of nelson or mcgivern . Having him for the last five games as an option imo would be great . Hes not amazing but its the kind of mentality we need so badly even for last five games .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Winston Ingram
17-04-2014, 11:21 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27062511

Striker Paul Heffernan will miss the five remaining league fixtures with a groin injury but midfielder Scott Robertson and defender James McPake may return from long lay-offs to play some part in the battle to avoid the play-off spot.

looks like he's not far off.

Let's be honest, anyone is better than Nelsen:agree:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Welcome back Captain:aok:

J-C
17-04-2014, 12:58 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27062511

looks like he's not far off.

Let's be honest, anyone is better than Nelsen:agree:

I'm led to believe Hanlon is out for the season, I can see TB playing both Nelson and McPake with Forster at RB, god help us if other teams hit us with pace.

Winston Ingram
17-04-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm led to believe Hanlon is out for the season, I can see TB playing both Nelson and McPake with Forster at RB, god help us if other teams hit us with pace.

Hanlon is out for the season. Saying that he's not exactly Linford Christie either. I'd bin Nelsen completely.

LioNeilMessi
17-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Hopefully if he does return he can put in the same performances that saved us from the drop last time!

J-C
17-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Hanlon is out for the season. Saying that he's not exactly Linford Christie either. I'd bin Nelsen completely.

Hahaha I know what you're saying but he instils more confidence than Nelson, the human carthorse. :greengrin

eggbamyasi
17-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Hopefully if he does return he can put in the same performances that saved us from the drop last time!

Agree . Need that fight . How old is mcpake ? And contract wise whats left ? Anyone know .

J-C
17-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Agree . Need that fight . How old is mcpake ? And contract wise whats left ? Anyone know .

29ish and contract up in summer

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-04-2014, 01:34 PM

McPake will be 30 in June and his contract is up at the end of this season.

PeterboroHibee
17-04-2014, 01:35 PM

McPake is fairly quick for a CB, and Id guess probably quicker than any of our other defenders. What lets him down is his rash decision making at times, and the fact hes so in and out of the team through injuries.

If hes genuinely fit I say give him a go in the team. If its a case of him having rushed back and being at risk of getting injured in the first 5 minutes of a game, it really isnt worth it.

J-C
17-04-2014, 01:38 PM
McPake is fairly quick for a CB, and Id guess probably quicker than any of our other defenders. What lets him down is his rash decision making at times, and the fact hes so in and out of the team through injuries.

If hes genuinely fit I say give him a go in the team. If its a case of him having rushed back and being at risk of getting injured in the first 5 minutes of a game, it really isnt worth it.

His main problem is his positioning, then having to lunge into challenges because he's so far away fro the player, it can leave defence exposed, love his bravery and maybe needed right now.

yekimevol
17-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Best news ive heard this season !!!!

:flag::jmcp::flag:

Pretty Boy
17-04-2014, 02:17 PM
If he's genuinely fit then might be worth throwing in.

He's proven he's up for a fight before. He's not the long term answer but he might be a big influence in the short term.

Billy Whizz
17-04-2014, 02:28 PM
If he's genuinely fit then might be worth throwing in.

He's proven he's up for a fight before. He's not the long term answer but he might be a big influence in the short term.

He's not even played an under 20 /EOS game yet. Would expect he would play at least a couple of games before being considered for 1st team action as he's been out a while

Hibiza
17-04-2014, 02:35 PM
C'mon James. U can do it.

Hibercelona
17-04-2014, 02:41 PM
The issue would be bringing him back too early. An injured McPake is horrible. But a fully fit McPake is something every team needs.

Just hope he's back to "full" fitness if/when he returns.

sleeping giant
17-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Anyone think we will offer him new deal ?

Thecat23
17-04-2014, 02:52 PM

Personally no chance.

silverhibee
17-04-2014, 02:55 PM

No.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-04-2014, 03:06 PM

Nope.

Ronniekirk
17-04-2014, 03:12 PM
He's not even played an under 20 /EOS game yet. Would expect he would play at least a couple of games before being considered for 1st team action as he's been out a while
That's what I said about Robertson but he hasn't yet played for under 20s either and I don't expect him to be in squad for st mirren game so wouldn't expect McPake to be either . Both could maybe help under 20 s to title and then help first team in last four games

Ronniekirk
17-04-2014, 03:18 PM
McPake will be 30 in June and his contract is up at the end of this season.
He would need to prove he is back to and can stay fully fit so best you would offer him would be short term deal to prove himself payper play deal with option of extension if he plays x games in first three months of season .Anything else is too Mutch of risk and ties up wage that could be used else where .

Bronson
17-04-2014, 03:43 PM
I'd be tempted to give someone like Brad Donaldson a shot if he's not out on loan, worked out well with Jordan Forster and there's a slim chance McPake will be here after the summer.

we are hibs
17-04-2014, 04:06 PM
I thought the last game he played vs hearts in the cup that he started quite well and was dominating them in the air and on the deck. Then he had a poor header to stevenson which he scored from. He then let himself down by lunging into a tackle that he didn't need to lunge into. That is exactly why an unfit mcpake can be a liability. When he isn't properly fit then you can see him struggling and he lunges into stupid tackles to make up for a previous mistake. A fully fit mcpake is a great leader and plays the whole game, every game like that first 25 minutes in the cup against hearts.

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2014, 04:14 PM
I really can't believe the clamour for McPake to be brought back into the team for the run in, no denying his passion,commitment and performances early in his Hibs career but having seen his performances since, the prospect of him back in the team does little to excite me!

Cameron1875
17-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Throw the nutter in :jmcp:

oconnors_strip
17-04-2014, 04:47 PM
I'd be tempted to give someone like Brad Donaldson a shot if he's not out on loan, worked out well with Jordan Forster and there's a slim chance McPake will be here after the summer.

Brad is currently injured

eggbamyasi
17-04-2014, 04:57 PM
I really can't believe the clamour for McPake to be brought back into the team for the run in, no denying his passion,commitment and performances early in his Hibs career but having seen his performances since, the prospect of him back in the team does little to excite me!

Agree with you on most . Just thinking if he is fit enough his detemination and ability to push team my be a wee bonus for last 4/5 games . Something we lack big time at mo on the pitch .

Ozyhibby
17-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I hope we don't need him. He's a shocking defender. We can't risk him in another Derby. There is a reason the yams love him.

Bronson
17-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Brad is currently injured

What about the likes of Tom Gardiner, too soon for him?

Smartie
17-04-2014, 05:21 PM
He was immense when he was here on loan and has been largely disappointing since. The guy deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt based on what he contributed during those early few months.

I love his attitude - he's head and shoulders above many of the wasters we've had over the past few years in this regard. I reckon it's his willingness to put his body on the line that has made him play when he really shouldn't and has led to many of his below-par performances.

I only hope he is sensible enough himself and given suitable medical advice before making a comeback at the right time. I have a horrible feeling we might "rush" him back and I don't think he'd be the first player we'd have done this with.

As regards his contract I think we might give him a "pay as you play" deal. Again I think it would suit both parties - we know better than anyone what he's capable of when on form yet it gives us an "out" if the injury doesn't clear up.

I also think given the financial climate in Scottish football and his injury record over the last couple of years that he'd struggle to get a better or different deal anywhere else.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-04-2014, 06:09 PM
I hope we don't need him. He's a shocking defender. We can't risk him in another Derby. There is a reason the yams love him.

Bit harsh?

Judas Iscariot
17-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Will be great to see him back in a Hibs shirt :aok:

Ozyhibby
17-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Bit harsh?

Nah.

sleeping giant
17-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Nah.

Aye it is !:cb

oconnors_strip
17-04-2014, 07:02 PM
What about the likes of Tom Gardiner, too soon for him?

Yeah it's a bit to early for tom, maybe if we are safe then give him some game time at final game of the season. He certainly has earned it!

Aldo
17-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Yeah it's a bit to early for tom, maybe if we are safe then give him some game time at final game of the season. He certainly has earned it!

Tbh N, I would rather give some of the younger lads - the future if the club - a game ahead of him tbh.

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2014, 07:58 PM
It's strange how the lapse of time and lack of action sees Hibs players improve in the minds of many supporters, thankfully my memory has not yet deserted me, so the answer is no thanks.

SMAXXA
17-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Only started back training with the boys today

bookert
17-04-2014, 09:10 PM
It's strange how the lapse of time and lack of action sees Hibs players improve in the minds of many supporters, thankfully my memory has not yet deserted me, so the answer is no thanks.

This is so true

pedroorange1875
17-04-2014, 09:42 PM

Exactly. with what we need at this exact moment McPake is 100% finished at Hibs

Northernhibee
17-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Would rather we got someone else in at the end of the season. Done very little as a permanent fully signed Hibs player, even if he was very good when on loan.

SMAXXA
17-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Would rather we got someone else in at the end of the season. Done very little as a permanent fully signed Hibs player, even if he was very good when on loan.

Seem to remember him doing not to shabby in a previous relegation battle

truehibernian
17-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Seem to remember him doing not to shabby in a previous relegation battle

I'm also of the opinion that injured players, especially a player who is regarded as captain material, should have at some point come out during his rehab and given interviews, issued positive rally cries, got behind the club - what astonishes me is that they happily tweet away yet don't do any club stuff during their time away.....Clancy, not once, did any interviews galvanising the team or showing he was keen to get back, yet happily remained 'injured' and tweeted about boxing all day and all night.....didn't give a sook about Hibs.....James may of course had his injury at the back of his mind and his wee one being born, but surely he could be doing some media work (other than supporting Celtic on telly when we played them).

Sorry SMAXXA, he's let me down big time......to me he let the critics get to him after the league cup defeat and the verbals after the game.......and he has retreated into his shell. Also think he has been a wee bit economic regards his injury.......he is spent and he knows it.

Do you not find it sad that you have to resort to social media to see how a player is doing these days ? They have no pride in playing for Hibs (or any club it seems). I'd feel guilty being injured for months and not at least doing some media work to appease fans who pay them their salary....maybe it's my old school mentality.

monktonharp
18-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Exactly. with what we need at this exact moment McPake is 100% finished at Hibs
aye ok, but given the "fact" that Hanlon is done for the season, and we are in total disarray at the back, I'd except a 75% Mc Pake, in the centre of our defence today. he would give 100% in effort alone. not all of our current backs are doing that. I could go on, I suppose with the lack of Katie, Heff(probably crocked?) etc but don't want to start an argument. only to say that this weekend we need men, not boys....to step up to the plate and give onehundredpercent effort.

RIP Bestie
18-04-2014, 12:23 AM
The issue would be bringing him back too early. An injured McPake is horrible. But a fully fit McPake is something every team needs.

Just hope he's back to "full" fitness if/when he returns.
I'm really sorry, I tried to stay out of this thread but this statement is f*****g ridiculous. Really can't see Bayern, Barcelona, Liverpool, Real Madrid, PSG etc contacting us anytime soon to check on McPakes fitness. :faf:

monktonharp
18-04-2014, 12:25 AM
I'm really sorry, I tried to stay out of this thread but this statement is f*****g ridiculous. Really can't see Bayern, Barcelona, Liverpool, Real Madrid, PSG etc contacting us anytime soon to check on McPakes fitness. :faf:when your hot, your hot:wink:

RIP Bestie
18-04-2014, 12:30 AM
I'm also of the opinion that injured players, especially a player who is regarded as captain material, should have at some point come out during his rehab and given interviews, issued positive rally cries, got behind the club - what astonishes me is that they happily tweet away yet don't do any club stuff during their time away.....Clancy, not once, did any interviews galvanising the team or showing he was keen to get back, yet happily remained 'injured' and tweeted about boxing all day and all night.....didn't give a sook about Hibs.....James may of course had his injury at the back of his mind and his wee one being born, but surely he could be doing some media work (other than supporting Celtic on telly when we played them).

Sorry SMAXXA, he's let me down big time......to me he let the critics get to him after the league cup defeat and the verbals after the game.......and he has retreated into his shell. Also think he has been a wee bit economic regards his injury.......he is spent and he knows it.

Do you not find it sad that you have to resort to social media to see how a player is doing these days ? They have no pride in playing for Hibs (or any club it seems). I'd feel guilty being injured for months and not at least doing some media work to appease fans who pay them their salary....maybe it's my old school mentality.
But he saved us!

California-Hibs
18-04-2014, 12:39 AM
I'm really sorry, I tried to stay out of this thread but this statement is f*****g ridiculous. Really can't see Bayern, Barcelona, Liverpool, Real Madrid, PSG etc contacting us anytime soon to check on McPakes fitness. :faf:

I think he was meaning Mcpakes attributes - desire, passion, commitment etc, rather than teams wanting Mcpake himself... :rolleyes:

basehibby
18-04-2014, 12:50 AM
When fit and on top of his game McPake is a real asset to the team - sadly as often as not he's been in between injuries for much of his career with Hibs but you can guarantee commitment from him and that's the sort of attitude we need going into the last half dozen games. We're certainly short in defence right now so his return to fitness right now could just prove to be propitious - get him in there I say!

Bronson
18-04-2014, 01:51 AM

I haven't seen much of the lad but I'd be open-minded about giving him a shot, is he a stand out at u20 or EOS level? Think you have to be to warrant a first team place.

MWHIBBIES
18-04-2014, 04:46 AM
I hope we don't need him. He's a shocking defender. We can't risk him in another Derby. There is a reason the yams love him.:faf: Hibs ''fans'' like you make me laugh

lyonhibs
18-04-2014, 05:23 AM
He's total pony. Determination and grit, yes, ability to defend properly no. Spends too much time out of the game On his arse.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-04-2014, 07:20 AM
He's total pony. Determination and grit, yes, ability to defend properly no. Spends too much time out of the game On his arse.

Of all the so called "professionals" at the club I'd suggest that he's the least likely to be "on his arse".

The amount of disrespect for a captain who was actually worthy of the title staggers me.

If I came out with half the crap that's spouted about our ex-captain - who lets not forget restored our battered pride as we went undefeated against them for a season - I'd hang my head in shame.

007 Mickey Weir
18-04-2014, 07:29 AM
I hope we get a couple of early wind and are safe last couple games so we can play some of the Under20s defenders for experience

500miles
18-04-2014, 07:30 AM
His injury problems seem so prolonged and recurrent that I don't think he'll ever be the same again.

That said, when he is GENUINELY match fit, he's a really committed, strong, dominant centre half. However, he struggles with his back injury.

A lot of people with short memories - he was a good captain and a good player when he first arrived, but he's suffered injury problems others may have packed in from.

DC_Hibs
18-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Hero to Zero.

Decent enough defender when fit but his ability was way overhyped on arrival - he must have been surprised himself at the adulation. Abuse from faceless internet cowards now is the norm. Same ones lapping up the welcome to Edinburgh poster initially.

I hope he stays fit and plays on for a few more years when he moves on.

Shame how it turned out. He always gave 100%.

Waxy
18-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Perhaps he could make the bench. Maybe best to look to the u20s

SMAXXA
18-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Perhaps he could make the bench. Maybe best to look to the u20s

He only started training yesterday so there's not a cat in helps chance he will make a bench for a couple of weeks anyway

PatHead
18-04-2014, 09:34 AM
If he did return at least we would get some leadership on the park. Something we desperately need.

Ozyhibby
18-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Hero to Zero.

Decent enough defender when fit but his ability was way overhyped on arrival - he must have been surprised himself at the adulation. Abuse from faceless internet cowards now is the norm. Same ones lapping up the welcome to Edinburgh poster initially.

Faceless Internet cowards?
So if you express an unfavourable opinion on the ability of a player you are a faceless Internet coward?
I would think that would include just about everyone who uses Hibs.net.
I also hope he stays fit and plays on for a number of years. Just not for us.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Some of the criticism folk are giving McPake is embarrassing to be honest.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2014, 01:05 PM

So is the clamour for him to even be considered when he hasn't kicked a ball in ages and played very poorly when he did.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-04-2014, 02:08 PM
So is the clamour for him to even be considered when he hasn't kicked a ball in ages and played very poorly when he did.

Didn't seem to remember him playing poorly when he saved us from relegation like. Anyone is better than Nelson anyway.

Ozyhibby
18-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Didn't seem to remember him playing poorly when he saved us from relegation like. Anyone is better than Nelson anyway.

We averaged less points per game after his arrival in Jan than we did before Jan.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-04-2014, 02:28 PM
We averaged less points per game after his arrival in Jan than we did before Jan.

Can't be all his fault!

Ozyhibby
18-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Can't be all his fault!

Not saying it is. Just that the 'he saved from relegation' chat is a bit OTT.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Not saying it is. Just that the 'he saved from relegation' chat is a bit OTT.

Kind of true though? That season we were shipping goals before he was here and when he came he steadied the ship. We would of got relegated that season if we didn't sign him or someone like him.

sleeping giant
18-04-2014, 02:51 PM
I love James McPake ! There I said it.
Loved him since he refused to do an interview in his tracksuit as he felt as club captain he should be in a suit.
Love the guy and if he is over his injury problems , I would like to see him given a short term deal and the captains armband.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2014, 03:17 PM

Yes I suppose you can just choose to ignore his performances since then and just remember the good bits, that seems to be the norm on here right enough. However at this stage of the season I'll even accept Butcher at CH if he can inspire us. :greengrin

Lago
18-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Lets hope its not indirect criticism and no swear words are involved, James might be tempted to respond.

Scottie
18-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Yes I suppose you can just choose to ignore his performances since then and just remember the good bits, that seems to be the norm on here right enough. However at this stage of the season I'll even accept Butcher at CH if he can inspire us. :greengrin
:agree: Would love to see him back to his best but some of his games since were honking due to injuries and lack of confidence
As James would say :jmcp:

emerald green
18-04-2014, 06:43 PM
If he did return at least we would get some leadership on the park. Something we desperately need.

Totally agree we badly need leadership on the park. Too many wearing the Hibs jersey are hiding. Why that's the case is the $64,000 question. Lack of confidence maybe? Or just couldn't give a toss? Who knows? I don't think James McPake is fit enough to be chucked into the game tomorrow. I wonder how many Hibs players will be up for it like Goodwin of St Mirren? He's an animal bye the way, but there will be no hiding from Goodwin.

Bronson
18-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Wears his heart on his sleeve and I wish it worked out for him up here, hopefully has a few good years left in him at a decent level.

I think his poor form after signing permanently was pretty much down to the opposition sussing him out. They realised he loves to slide in to rash challenges and win the ball as it gets a good reaction from the crowd, but when it doesn't come off it becomes a bit messy.

There's no denying he was a bright light in a very dark season when he was on loan, and a part of me will be sad to see him go should he leave this summer (which I imagine he will), but I think it's time to move on.

RIP Bestie
18-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Of all the so called "professionals" at the club I'd suggest that he's the least likely to be "on his arse".

The amount of disrespect for a captain who was actually worthy of the title staggers me.

If I came out with half the crap that's spouted about our ex-captain - who lets not forget restored our battered pride as we went undefeated against them for a season - I'd hang my head in shame.
Dearly me. Where's the sick bucket?

RIP Bestie
18-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Hero to Zero.

I'm no coward. Would happily tell him what I thought .

EHZERO7
18-04-2014, 10:55 PM
I love James McPake ! There I said it.
Loved him since he refused to do an interview in his tracksuit as he felt as club captain he should be in a suit.
Love the guy and if he is over his injury problems , I would like to see him given a short term deal and the captains armband.

Have to agree with your comments, James McPake was such a top player for Hibs when he came on loan. Probably let himself down by thinking he was doing the right thing in playing through the pain barrier when he should have stepped aside.
Would love him to stay but I dont think (unfortunately) it will happen

Pete
19-04-2014, 03:02 AM
I'm really sorry, I tried to stay out of this thread but...

:hilarious

Judas Iscariot
19-04-2014, 05:28 AM
I'm no coward. Would happily tell him what I thought .

And I hope he'd rap you right in the jaw :aok: