PDA

View Full Version : Paul Cairney

Heisenberg
16-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Hibs' Cairney faces trial over 'belting'
Published on 16 April 2014

HIBS player Paul Cairney is to stand trial alongside the man he is accused of assaulting with a belt.

The 26-year-old is charged with hitting Adewale Sapara, 25, with the item at Queen Street on October 11, last year. It is alleged the men "conducted themselves in a disorderly manner" and hit each other with a belt, breaching the peace.

Cairney, from Livingston, appeared in the dock at Glasgow Sheriff Court yesterday, where he was represented by Peter Malone.

The Hibs midfielder, who previously played for Partick Thistle and Queen's Park, denies the charge and will stand trial next month.

There is a warrant out for his co-accused Sapara, from Glasgow's West End, who was not at court when the case called.

cabbageandribs1875
16-04-2014, 10:03 AM
i'm amazed the courts don't have a fast track system for our players and court appearances

get it sorted petrie :grr:

Brightside
16-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Good excuse to tear up his contract if found guilty

Sean1875
16-04-2014, 10:20 AM
what a belter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Jimmy
16-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Must have been one hell of a long belt if it was his own....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
16-04-2014, 10:23 AM
i'm amazed the courts don't have a fast track system for our players and court appearances

get it sorted petrie :grr:

Yep, there's a commercial division and family division, small claims court etc. Why not a Hibs division? Much more efficient and over time the judge will get to know them better. Maybe we could set up a dock at EM?

Diclonius
16-04-2014, 10:49 AM
If found guilty, bin him. We don't tolerate this crap any more.

Pretty Boy
16-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Get rid if guilty.

I quite like Cairney but he's hit or miss and not what we need if we have genuine aspirations of pushing for Europe and cups (would he get near the Aberdeen or DundeeUtd teams?). Think his contract may be up anyway but if not this gives us a good excuse.

Del Boy
16-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Another hibs player making the headlines for the wrong reasons.

Billychaotic182
16-04-2014, 11:19 AM

What a load of *****! If it was leigh Griffiths it would be a difrent story.

SMAXXA
16-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Was just going to post the same, so if Leigh gets sacked would we take him back :wink: Ehhhh aye

McSwanky
16-04-2014, 11:23 AM
To be fair, I can see why this has happened, East Mains is a stone's throw away from Tranent.

SMAXXA
16-04-2014, 11:26 AM
To be fair, I can see why this has happened, East Mains is a stone's throw away from Tranent.

:top marksThe belters taking it all to literally

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-04-2014, 11:33 AM
This story is a belter:greengrin

patlowe
16-04-2014, 11:37 AM

It's a pretty hypocritical position to take but when it comes down to misbehaviour, fans can just about accept it if the player involved produces the goods. Wrong? Probably but it's pretty understandable - look at the way guys like Gerrard, Suarez, Keane etc have their indiscretions and personality flaws forgotten or ignored because it doesn't undermine their performances on the pitch.

The bigger question for me is: why does this keep happening? It's important to remember that he's innocent until proven guilty but we seem to have an endless ability to produce or sign guys that are, or would appear to act like, complete numpties (and yes, it doesn't help that their performances on the pitch could generally be described as such too).

I would consider myself a pretty liberal fellow and violence among and involving footballers is certainly not unique to Hibs (see the issues at WBA and Port Vale in recent weeks) but the number of what I will tentatively refer to as really dodgy situations linked to players from or associated with our club in the last few years is incredible. I'm assuming we have a code of conduct in place for the players' behaviour but it does not appear to have been effective.

RIP
16-04-2014, 11:37 AM
No problem with what Paul and his 'friend' want to get up to in the privacy of their own home

Hold on though........was this happening in the middle of a busy train station?

Did anyone capture it on their phone?

Vincent Lunny - please keep an eye out on YouTube!!

Dinkydoo
16-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Why are they both being charge with 'breach of the peace' and not 'assualt' - is this just a case of two mates messing around that got out of hand?

Mark79
16-04-2014, 11:51 AM
He will get off with it anyway. Be some loophole.

J-C
16-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Because none accused the other of assault but because of their behavour, the police charged them with breach of the peace.

Dinkydoo
16-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Because none accused the other of assault but because of their behavour, the police charged them with breach of the peace.

I was under the impression that if you have been witnessed assulting someone then you can be charged with assualt so long as a witness is willing to testify - I might be wrong though.

If they were just messing around and got carried away then I'd be much more willing to forgive and forget but if Cairney has been fighting someone and trying to hit him with a belt then I'd get rid of him - that's much more unprofessional than a player singing an (albeit, unfavourable) song in a pub on his day off.

cabbageandribs1875
16-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Yep, there's a commercial division and family division, small claims court etc. Why not a Hibs division? Much more efficient and over time the judge will get to know them better. Maybe we could set up a dock at EM?

imagine if craig thomson was also part of the judiciary, whole-term life sentences for nawty hibs players

Waxy
16-04-2014, 12:00 PM

Yes. And hopefully he'll buckle down and get on with his football.

silverhibee
16-04-2014, 12:02 PM

Butcher had no problem with this kind of behaviour when he was at ICT.

He didn't bin players up there.

Mark79
16-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Yes. And hopefully he'll buckle down and get on with his football.

He might have to brace himself for a bad outcome.

R'Albin
16-04-2014, 12:25 PM

I'd like to think that the majority of Hibs fans would admit that the reason they would get rid of Cairney is not only because of this, but because he isn't great/far too inconsistent, and that the reason they would take Griffiths on is because he is a quality player. I wouldn't want to see us doing the same as many Celtic fans (at least on the Kerrydale ST thread) seem to be doing with Griffiths - taking the moral high ground when it's easy to.

Sounds as if there's nothing in it anyway.

The Sea-gull
16-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Cairney's contract is up at the end of the season is it not? All this talk of binning him as a result of this incident is pointless as I would suspect he is one of a number of out of contract players TB will not even consider keeping regardless of this incident. At least I hope he is. I cannot think of a single out of contract player I would keep and there are several in contract players who should go too if possible.

Future17
16-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Or Riordan. Oh hold on...

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Cairney's contract is up at the end of the season is it not? All this talk of binning him as a result of this incident is pointless as I would suspect he is one of a number of out of contract players TB will not even consider keeping regardless of this incident. At least I hope he is. I cannot think of a single out of contract player I would keep and there are several in contract players who should go too if possible.

He's already been told he wont be getting a new deal :agree:

ancient hibee
16-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Aged 26? Are we sure it's not somebody impersonating him?I would have thought the way he plays he was nearer 46.

oconnors_strip
16-04-2014, 04:17 PM
He's already been told he wont be getting a new deal :agree:

I'm sure Paul doesn't want his contract dealings being talked about on here. What source told you that anyway?

RIP
16-04-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm told that the police are looking for another man in connection with the incident :slipper:.........Somebody Macar?

number9dream
16-04-2014, 04:54 PM
I saw Tommy Wright talking the other day about how much he trusts his dressing room - on and off the park. It's been a while since you could say that about Hibs...

Jonnyboy
16-04-2014, 06:40 PM

Only if he can successfully nutmeg the Sheriff :wink:

Jonnyboy
16-04-2014, 06:40 PM
I saw Tommy Wright talking the other day about how much he trusts his dressing room - on and off the park. It's been a while since you could say that about Hibs...

Oh I dunno. You can always trust some of them to make the front pages

weonlywon6-2
16-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Another hibs player making the headlines for the wrong reasons.

yep,we don't really need these sort of headlines

scuttle
16-04-2014, 09:29 PM
on the subject of belts im not a FAN of Cairney , hes a bit of a SNAKE

truehibernian
16-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Wouldn't be too concerned, he won't be at Hibs next season anyway. Nice lad though.

.Sean.
16-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Maybe the boy tried to hit PC with the belt, PC managed to take said belt from him and leathered him with it? To me that's absolutely fine. Two sides to every story.

FranckSuzy
16-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Maybe the boy tried to hit PC with the belt, PC managed to take said belt from him and leathered him with it? To me that's absolutely fine. Two sides to every story.

At least he wasn't outrun by the polis and couldn't even make up a false name properly :rolleyes: :greengrin

truehibernian
16-04-2014, 09:46 PM

Having met PC a few times at U19 and 20 games he is quite an unassuming lad and really quite quiet....doesn't talk in a way that would make you think he goes looking for bother or indeed invites it.

This 'story' is at this stage a story in my eyes.......still a shame that it brings unnecessary attention to Hibs. As I say though he won't be at Hibs next season IMO so it's not really an issue for me.

VivaHiberņa
17-04-2014, 01:46 AM
on the subject of belts im not a FAN of Cairney , hes a bit of a SNAKE

:agree: He always seems to buckle under pressure.

oldbutdim
17-04-2014, 07:24 AM

Correct.

cabbageandribs1875
17-04-2014, 08:27 AM
and up next to the podium(or the dock rather) it's Deeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-27050929

Derek Riordan made a brief appearance at Edinburgh Justice of the Peace Court when his defence solicitor, Kathleen More, lodged a not guilty plea

dear admins, any chance we can have a thread prefix for court updates, like the match updates :dunno:

:eek:

cabbageandribs1875
18-04-2014, 07:58 AM
sparky's turn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-27065558

Celtic striker Leigh Griffiths has walked free from court after a charge of assault against him was deserted.

i have a funny feeling if this had been reported by the sun or DR it would have been titled 'former Hibs player' :agree:

The Falcon
18-04-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm sure Paul doesn't want his contract dealings being talked about on here. What source told you that anyway?

Sam Stanton. :wink: