PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths

spike220
16-04-2014, 09:27 AM
It looks like Leigh is in trouble again, I wonder how many people would welcome him home. I would!!

R'Albin
16-04-2014, 09:29 AM
For the Skacel thing?

scuttle
16-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Whats he done now?

Gus
16-04-2014, 09:30 AM
What for?

spike220
16-04-2014, 09:33 AM
http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/07/why-celtic-must-sack-leigh-griffiths-4691763/

Beefster
16-04-2014, 09:34 AM
http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/07/why-celtic-must-sack-leigh-griffiths-4691763/

That's from over a week ago.

Gus
16-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Journo's opinion on something that has happened and being dealt with.

Non story imo

spike220
16-04-2014, 09:36 AM
That's from over a week ago.

Has it been resolved yet?

scuttle
16-04-2014, 09:36 AM
It looks like Leigh is in trouble again, I wonder how many people would welcome him home. I would!!

Have you been on holiday mate ?

spike220
16-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Have you been on holiday mate ?

No, but I have been away from .net a while............I was chained to a radiator......:greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
16-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Just a bit fun.

Leigh's the man.

SlickShoes
16-04-2014, 10:23 AM
They must part ways because of Celtc's roots and moral standing hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What Leigh done was stupid but over my short life I have seen and heard worse from LARGE sections of Celtc supporters and more.

scuttle
16-04-2014, 10:27 AM
No, but I have been away from .net a while............I was chained to a radiator......:greengrin

Hope the gimp mask wisnae to tight mate

Waxy
16-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Hope the gimp mask wisnae to tight mate

He might like it like that

spike220
16-04-2014, 01:16 PM
He might like it like that

This thread has taken a strange turn :hijack:

Islington Hibs
16-04-2014, 01:30 PM

Sure - he is a class act. Would have him back tomorrow , warts and all.

Stranger things have happened and I suspect if he does it again he may well be fired. Lets invite him to lead the singing at the next derby :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Racism is bang out of line, if only he had been signing IRA songs he'd have been fine.

Bishop Hibee
16-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Fans of Celtc's 'morality' must have short memories. I must have misheard the Mark Walters song at Darkheid back in the day.

Jim44
16-04-2014, 02:43 PM
They must part ways because of Celtc's roots and moral standing hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What Leigh done was stupid but over my short life I have seen and heard worse from LARGE sections of Celtc supporters and more.

Racism is bang out of line, if only he had been signing IRA songs he'd have been fine.

Fans of Celtc's 'morality' must have short memories. I must have misheard the Mark Walters song at Darkheid back in the day.

To wit - This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdO0EoprDc&feature=player_detailpage) and This. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bJdlp5EWaM&feature=player_detailpage)

Franck Stanton
16-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Complete waste of paper and ink imo - I live in hope that those smelly, unwashed half-wits do sack him - then he can come home where his talents are appreciated, [and, after all, we need someone to start the songs now don't we].

Argylehibby
16-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Has to have been written by a Hibby trying to put pressure on themto bin him surely!

Stantons Angel
16-04-2014, 10:52 PM

AND their idiot manager who needs two heavies with him at away games!

Doubt mr Bailie has trolled the internet and found any videos of the manager singing anti rangers songs!!!

HKhibby
17-04-2014, 01:14 AM

Absolutely agree with you....celtic and moral standing dont go in the same breath!...totally agree with the other comment on here as well, because he sings and chants with Hibs supporters he is accused of being racist (not that hearts fans would have done this) but if he stood with celtic supporters and sangs songs about terrorist **** then that would be perfectly ok!

Bristolhibby
17-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Is it racist saying someone is a refugee?

As history points out there are and have been refugees from all ethnic, religious, sexual orientation and political backgrounds.

J

Winston Ingram
17-04-2014, 06:35 AM

As history points out there are and have been refugees from all ethnic, religious, sexual orientation and political backgrounds.

J

Nope. Last time I checked, 'refugee' is not a race. Racism refers to ethnicity.

It is at best xenophobic and falls into the SFA charge of 'other discriminatory behaviour'.

Obviously racism sounds far more dramatic

bigwheel
17-04-2014, 06:54 AM

J

Do you think the song uses the term in a nice way...it is a song of "hate"...let's not pretend otherwise..

We really should give up on this Griffiths coming back to us for now...even if he is sacked, he will have a queue of clubs willing to pay more than us for his services...let's admire his skills...but it will be a few years before we see him back in a Hibs jersey..

Elephant Stone
17-04-2014, 07:05 AM

It is at best xenophobic and falls into the SFA charge of 'other discriminatory behaviour'.

The 'gag' is that he's from Czech Republic, and therefore is a refugee. So, basically that people from Czech Republic are all refugees. Aside from being obviously racist it's without a doubt the most moronic song that gets sung, given the history of Hibs.

It's no better than the famine song and this thread genuinely reads like one a Sevco forum trying to justify the bile they sing.

Get a grip.

Beefster
17-04-2014, 07:14 AM

J

It's open to debate whether it is technically racism or xenophobia. Either way, it's an insult thrown at Skacel based on where he's from. Saying that, I suspect the person(s) who first sang it has hee-haw knowledge about the Czech Republic beyond "it's not somewhere I go for my holidays".

If he was French, would it be sung - no.

If he was black, would it be sung - unlikely, then it would be overtly racist and this muddying of the waters about racism/xenophobia, just a laugh etc etc wouldn't be applicable.

The_Todd
17-04-2014, 08:03 AM

J

Let's look at the song in detail and see what those who sing it are saying:

"Rudi Skatchel is a ***** refugee, a ******* refugee, a ******** refugee"

To me it reads as "Rudi Skatchel, he's foreign ain't he? Where? Eastern Europe? Whereabouts? It doesn't matter, all foreigners ain't they? Bet he's an illegal immigrant innit! ****** Refugee!"

At the very best it's totally distasteful, it's clearly intolerant but lurking in the edges is a nasty BNP\UKIP style nationalism and xenophobia. Hibs fans are better than this, or at least I hoped they were. And as for Griffiths himself, there's young Hibs fans who idolise him even though he's no longer with us, and as far as they're concerned if it's ok for him then it's ok for them.

The amount of defending I see of this song when I see so much angst about the Old Firm and their "ditties" is hypocrasy pure and simple. I don't care how many goals he scored for us, it doesn't make it ok.

Winston Ingram
17-04-2014, 08:42 AM
The 'gag' is that he's from Czech Republic, and therefore is a refugee. So, basically that people from Czech Republic are all refugees. Aside from being obviously racist it's without a doubt the most moronic song that gets sung, given the history of Hibs.

It's no better than the famine song and this thread genuinely reads like one a Sevco forum trying to justify the bile they sing.

Get a grip.

Get a grip? Did i say i was defending Griffiths?

I was merely pointing out the difference between racism and xenophobia:confused:

Diclonius
17-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Funny how a song that would be treated with moral outrage on here if it was sung by the OF is defended on here because 1. It's a Hibs "song" (in quotations because it really struggles to qualify as a song and more hate speech) and 2. It's about Rudi Skacel.

Hypocritical to the max.

Winston Ingram
17-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Let's look at the song in detail and see what those who sing it are saying:

To me it reads as "Rudi Skatchel, he's foreign ain't he? Where? Eastern Europe? Whereabouts? It doesn't matter, all foreigners ain't they? Bet he's an illegal immigrant innit! ****** Refugee!"

At the very best it's totally distasteful, it's clearly intolerant but lurking in the edges is a nasty BNP\UKIP style nationalism and xenophobia. Hibs fans are better than this, or at least I hoped they were. And as for Griffiths himself, there's young Hibs fans who idolise him even though he's no longer with us, and as far as they're concerned if it's ok for him then it's ok for them.

The amount of defending I see of this song when I see so much angst about the Old Firm and their "ditties" is hypocrasy pure and simple. I don't care how many goals he scored for us, it doesn't make it ok.

Can you please show me from what Bristol Hibby said...

...what part of that statement is 'defending' LG?

Elephant Stone
17-04-2014, 08:54 AM

It's deflection and it sounds like something a Sevco apologist would say.

Winston Ingram
17-04-2014, 09:01 AM
It's deflection and it sounds like something a Sevco apologist would say.

that's an impressive assumption

Elephant Stone
17-04-2014, 09:11 AM
that's an impressive assumption

Which part? Arguing that the song is semantically not racist is deflection? Or deflection like this is something Sevco fans do?

The_Todd
17-04-2014, 09:12 AM

Because it's all deflection. When your average Orc or Sellik fan sings something distasteful we're all over it. When Leigh Griffiths sings something equally distasteful we start arguing about semantics rather than talk about the song and its clear intolerant intent instead. It is exactly the sort of thing you see on FF and Kerrydale Street.

Thecat23
17-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Folk defending this song are coming across as a bit stupid. So many football songs to sing and we sing this :confused: Come on guys we're better than this crap surely?!

marinello59
17-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Racism - Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
Xenophobia - An unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners.

If a hatred of foreigners is the best we can say about the song I can't see this being used in Griffith's defence.

Winston Ingram
17-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Racism - Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
Xenophobia - An unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners.

If a hatred of foreigners is the best we can say about the song I can't see this being used in Griffith's defence.

I am not defending him!!!

All i did was answer a legitimate question which a couple of individuals have since made huge assumptions about.

He deserves to be punished along with all the other morons that sing that abhorrent song. All i am saying is if you accuse anyone of anything at least get it right

Winston Ingram
17-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Which part? Arguing that the song is semantically not racist is deflection? Or deflection like this is something Sevco fans do?

Assuming BristolHibby is deflecting.

The fact that the song is not racist is a fact. Nothing to assume there.

marinello59
17-04-2014, 09:35 AM
I am not defending him!!!

All i did was answer a legitimate question which a couple of individuals have since made huge assumptions about.

He deserves to be punished along with all the other morons that sing that abhorrent song. All i am saying is if you accuse anyone of anything at least get it right

Apologies, it appeared that way to me but I was obviously mistaken.

Elephant Stone
17-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Assuming BristolHibby is deflecting.

The fact that the song is not racist is a fact. Nothing to assume there.

:hilarious

Winston Ingram
17-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Apologies, it appeared that way to me but I was obviously mistaken.

No problem mate. :agree:

spike220
17-04-2014, 10:02 AM
This is easily the worst thread I have ever started, and I have started some really rotten ones!!!!!!!

heretoday
17-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Leigh is a class act on the pitch as Deeks was at one time too. But I find their off field behaviour degrading and yobbish and it brings bad publicity to Hibs. Are these guys so stupid that they can't see the error of their ways? I guess they must be.

HiBremian
17-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Folk defending this song are coming across as a bit stupid. So many football songs to sing and we sing this :confused: Come on guys we're better than this crap surely?!

This 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IWasThere2016
17-04-2014, 11:51 AM

:top marks

southsider
17-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Did he pay his tax - Yes. Did he pay his N/I - Yes. Did he screw local creditors - No. Did he steal people's life savings - No. He sang a grubby little song in a boozer. Big deal. Nobody got hurt and i hope the "supporter" who sold the clip is proud of himself.

ancient hibee
17-04-2014, 05:49 PM
What concerns me most about this slightly distasteful action by a Celtic player is that when it appeared as an item on Reporting Scotland the accompanying clip featured a Hibs player throwing his jersey to the crowd.If Celtic are unable to control their staff why should this concern our club and why are the BBC smearing us.Could it be that the BBC are afraid of nasty Mr Lawell?

Lucius Apuleius
18-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Praise the Lord we stopped singing "I'd rather be a ***** than a hun" many moons ago. Wonder what would have been said if he had sung that?

poolman
18-04-2014, 02:52 PM
More nonsense from the BBC

Griffiths has already
been disciplined internally by Celtic (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26843699) and the player has apologised to the
Edinburgh club

:rolleyes:

Keith_M
18-04-2014, 03:06 PM
As this has morphed from a Leigh Griffiths thread to a That Bl**dy Stupid Song thread, I'll give my tuppence worth....

I'd like to see the club* come out with a statement condemning the song and asking all Hibs supporters to never sing it again. You can argue endlessly on here about in what sense the song is wrong but the fact is that it just is and it should no longer be sung.

The fact that the song is both illogical and idiotic merely adds to the argument.

* I'm in no way blaming the club for anything, merely stating that this woud be the best way to kill it stone dead. A very similar thing happened around 30 years ago with 'republican' songs and worked.

jimmyboco1875
18-04-2014, 03:08 PM
did he pay his tax - yes. Did he pay his n/i - yes. Did he screw local creditors - no. Did he steal people's life savings - no. He sang a grubby little song in a boozer. Big deal. Nobody got hurt and i hope the "supporter" who sold the clip is proud of himself.

this!!!!!!!

RickyS
18-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Did he pay his tax - Yes. Did he pay his N/I - Yes. Did he screw local creditors - No. Did he steal people's life savings - No. He sang a grubby little song in a boozer. Big deal. Nobody got hurt and i hope the "supporter" who sold the clip is proud of himself.

amen to that, get it in perspective

matty_f
18-04-2014, 03:18 PM

Griffiths has already
been disciplined internally by Celtic (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26843699) and the player has apologised to the
Edinburgh club

Think they mean he's apoligied to the Yams (IA)(R)

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Griffiths has already
Edinburgh club

That's correct disciplined by Celtic and apologised to Hearts.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-04-2014, 03:21 PM
I wonder how many of your average football fans forensically examine the songs they sing before belting them out?

leggeto
18-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Can't we just change the words from refugee to smells o pee

rcarter1
18-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Can't we just change the words from refugee to smells o pee

Postive AND constructive :thumbsup:

Sylar
18-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I wonder how many of your average football fans forensically examine the songs they sing before belting them out?

Apologies if I'm missing the tone of your post HH but ignorance of content isn't an excuse. It doesn't take a critical analysis to realise when a song is/isn't acceptable.

If folk are going to sing puerile songs without engaging their brain, they deserve the associated ton of bricks they're likely to face in consequence.

Ronniekirk
18-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Apologies if I'm missing the tone of your post HH but ignorance of content isn't an excuse. It doesn't take a critical analysis to realise when a song is/isn't acceptable.

If folk are going to sing puerile songs without engaging their brain, they deserve the associated ton of bricks they're likely to face in consequence.
That's a lot of bricks :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-04-2014, 04:25 PM

They don't face many consequences though do they? People bumping their gums about it on football messageboards isnae going to stop people singing these songs. Mind you I wouldnae recommend telling groups of boys in the pub/stand to "please sing something else", its a tricky one.

VivaHiberņa
18-04-2014, 04:55 PM

So not being Hearts (R) exonerates anyone of anything less consequential than what Hearts (R) have gotten up to? Fascinating logic. I suppose this means all the OFs songs are ok too since no one got bumped out of cash?

What concerns me most about this slightly distasteful action by a Celtic player is that when it appeared as an item on Reporting Scotland the accompanying clip featured a Hibs player throwing his jersey to the crowd. If Celtic are unable to control their staff why should this concern our club and why are the BBC smearing us.Could it be that the BBC are afraid of nasty Mr Lawell?

Because he was there as a Hibs supporter, surrounded by other Hibs supporters?

If the BBC want to "smear" us for singing songs like that then good on them, if they keep it up people might stop singing it. I just wish they'd give the OF the same treatment.

DH1875
18-04-2014, 06:41 PM
OK so I'm gonna get shot down for this but here goes, what's the difference between the rudi song and the weegie song. IF one is racist then what's the other?

Cocaine&Caviar
18-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Williams
RB - Foster - Hanlon - Stevenston

Stanton - Thomson

Watmore - CF - Harris
Griffiths

Looks good to me. A lot of hibbies in there.

Ronniekirk
18-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Williams
RB - Foster - Hanlon - Stevenston

Stanton - Thomson

Watmore - CF - Harris
Griffiths

Looks good to me. A lot of hibbies in there.

Are you on the right thread and when did we resign griffiths or is that wish full thinking

VivaHiberņa
18-04-2014, 07:28 PM
OK so I'm gonna get shot down for this but here goes, what's the difference between the rudi song and the weegie song. IF one is racist then what's the other?

Do you mean the "You are a Weegie" one? :faf:

If it weren't for some of the mince that's already been written on this thread I'd assume you're trolling. Slagging off the Weegies is hardly the same thing; that is clearly a laugh and is totally harmless. Regretfully, there is no history of persecution of Glaswegians which makes a bit of harmless inter-city banter/rivalry nothing more than that.

As every Hibs supporter should know, there is a long and ugly history of refugees finding a hostile reception.

That isn't to say I think the Skacel song is racist; strictly speaking it isn't. But that doesn't make it acceptable.

(Or are you this guy (http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/glasgow-man-says-edinburgh-ketchup-charge-racist-1-3062264)?)

poolman
18-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Think they mean he's apoligied to the Yams (IA)(R)

Ah, I stand corrected

doh

ScottB
18-04-2014, 07:59 PM
The Skackel song is stupid, but it is not racist. I mean come on, both him and Leigh are the same race for a kick off. Stupid? Yes definitely, but not racist.

And if the SFA reckon this brings the game into disrepute, do they not listen to the sounds from the games in Glasgow every week? Have they not heard the Hearts fans relentless love for their own homophobic dity?

I'm not saying Leigh shouldn't be pulled up, but to pull him up while ignoring a whole load of other, similar, or indeed, worse ongoing incidents is a nonsense.

leggeto
18-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Weegist

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-04-2014, 12:15 AM
Skacel was drinking in the Pear Tree all afternoon. Enjoying the bank holiday, or unemployment as others would call it