PDA

View Full Version : Relegation the last time

1987kev
15-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Was it a shock the last time we went down , did anyone see it coming before the start of season. I'm not saying we r going down this season but if we did what would b more of a shock this season or the last time we went down?

marinello59
15-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Was it a shock the last time we went down , did anyone see it coming before the start of season. I'm not saying we r going down this season but if we did what would b more of a shock this season or the last time we went down?

It didn't come as a shock to me as I had cleverly purchased a copy of Old Moores Almanack the year before.

ekhibee
15-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Yes, but even though we were actually top of the league, under Jim Duffy we were really awful and we went into freefall until McLeish came in. The turning point might well have been when we played Rangers at ER, went 3-1 up and ended up losing 4-3. This time round we haven't looked very good for the entire season, but somewhat ironically we might still stay up. Might.

Keith_M
15-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Yes, but even though we were actually top of the league, under Jim Duffy we were really awful and we went into freefall until McLeish came in. The turning point might well have been when we played Rangers at ER, went 3-1 up and ended up losing 4-3. This time round we haven't looked very good for the entire season, but somewhat ironically we might still stay up. Might.

It's strange but I keep seeing parallels with this season's game away to Dundee Utd. We were winning 3-1 and they managed to come back to make it 3-3. I've often wondered if that's the day that Butcher lost confidence in the team because he's been tinkering with the lineup ever since.

To answer the OP's question, at the start of that season, I wouldn't have put us down as relegation candidates. By Christmas though, absolutely.

HibbyAndy
15-04-2014, 05:35 PM
It's strange but I keep seeing parallels with this season's game away to Dundee Utd. We were winning 3-1 and they managed to come back to make it 3-3. I've often wondered if that's the day that Butcher lost confidence in the team because he's been tinkering with the lineup ever since.

To answer the OP's question, at the start of that season, I wouldn't have put us down as relegation candidates. By Christmas though, absolutely.

We were winning 2-0 at utd and drew 2-2..Since then its been a downward spiral.

Make no bones about out ,.Our run in recent weeks is sacking material.

Hibs are a complete shambles to watch right now.

Keith_M
15-04-2014, 05:38 PM
We were winning 2-0 at utd and drew 2-2..Since then its been a downward spiral.

Make no bones about out ,.Our run in recent weeks is sacking material.

Hibs are a complete shambles to watch right now.

Sorry, I knew I got that wrong when I was writing it but couldn't remember the actual score....

:greengrin

HibbyAndy
15-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Sorry, I knew I got that wrong when I was writing it but couldn't remember the actual score....

Hibercelona
15-04-2014, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't have been shocked had we been relegated back in 11/12 and that was with Griffiths in our team.

It certainly wouldn't shock me this season. It would be hard to take, but I wouldn't be shocked by it at all.

But looking at the table several times over, I don't think we'll even be in the play off spot. I think we'll pick up a couple of more points somehow and that will just about see us safe.

"Just about".

stoneyburn hibs
15-04-2014, 06:00 PM

That 3-4 loss to Rangers was the turning point imo, Jimmy Boco deary me.

hibbydog
15-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Terrible terrible memories.....

But the writing was on the wall all season. When we came back from 2-0 down to draw at tynecastle it gave Duffy even more time.

Ugh.

The_Todd
15-04-2014, 06:25 PM
It didn't come as a shock to me as I had cleverly purchased a copy of Old Moores Almanack the year before.

There's an even better almanack in an antiques shop in Hill Valley, CA. You'll find it in 2015, you'll make a fortune.

HibbyAndy
15-04-2014, 06:35 PM

Jimmy Boco eh

Ozyhibby
15-04-2014, 07:14 PM
We were in the relegation play off the year before so I doubt it was a shock to anyone.

The_Exile
15-04-2014, 07:34 PM
We were in the relegation play off the year before so I doubt it was a shock to anyone.

Agreed, after the win over Airdrie I read various interviews with players and management saying they never wanted to be in that position again, remember thinking "cry me a river boys, get the job done on the park then". Then when Kjell Olaffson (sp?) confirmed our fate at ER on the penultimate game of the season I remember sitting in the East stand thinking how predictable it had all ended up.

Phil D. Rolls
15-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Not really, if we are talking about it six weeks before. What do you think?:coffee:

Mixu62
15-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Might be my memory playing tricks on me, but was that 3-4 game against rangers definitely the season we went down? I'm sure I remember Keith scoring a near post header from an O'Neill cross early in the 2nd half and I don't remember them being in the team that got relegated.

Cabbage East
15-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Not really, if we are talking about it six weeks before. What do you think?:coffee:

Just what exactly does that picture of a blokes face mean? I've seen that posted on here a couple of times recently.

Craig_in_Prague
15-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Might be my memory playing tricks on me, but was that 3-4 game against rangers definitely the season we went down? I'm sure I remember Keith scoring a near post header from an O'Neill cross early in the 2nd half and I don't remember them being in the team that got relegated.

Crawford header

Phil D. Rolls
15-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Just what exactly does that picture of a blokes face mean? I've seen that posted on here a couple of times recently.

It means LTYF to me. Lifted from nodirectionhome.com

Crawford header

Can you tell me more, I've never understood why the Merricks use it.

Gustavo Fring
15-04-2014, 08:19 PM
i was young at the time but i remember that rangers game and the game we were oficially relegated , it came as a shock to me

i also remember being at both the games against airdrie in the playoffs and they beat us in the 1st game at easter road then we tanned them at broadwood to stay up . i thought we were goin down that season

mca
15-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Jimmy Boco eh

I have a Panini Sticker stuck inside a book somewhere and it says Jimmy Boco - but - The Picture was of our famous goalie.. Ollie Gotskaltson or something similar spelling like that.. :wink:

MrSmith
15-04-2014, 08:22 PM

Great Scot, so you have it!! :| I need to take it back to the future!

judas
15-04-2014, 08:31 PM

It was upsetting. I was in the lower tier of the old east stand after Dundee Utd beat us 1-2. There was a real air of disbelief that this could have happened to us - even though it had always looked likely.

The silver lining, was that Big Eck had clearly made a difference in his short time at the club. And little did I know at that time, that the ultimate medicine would soon be administered - a dose of Frank Sauzee and Latapy.

Onceinawhile
15-04-2014, 08:36 PM

Kudos on the name and year of birth :thumbsup:

Terrible terrible memories.....

But the writing was on the wall all season. When we came back from 2-0 down to draw at tynecastle it gave Duffy even more time.

Ugh.

Having said that, I wouldn't have swapped it. 2-0 down after 10 minutes (was it a Fulton double? I'm sure he lobbed the keeper for the second) it was some feeling at the end coming back, even if it was Andy Walker!

Agreed, wasn't that big a shock, we were honking for a good few years before, Duffy just made it slightly worse. The games at broadwood were great fun. 4-2 I think? Big DJ with the goals.

I think there was more than one 3-4 game. I wasn't allowed to OF games at that point, but I remember hearing about more than one coming out of cubs. This team is almost equally as bad as that one. Think they are slightly slightly better now though. What we would give for a Grant Brebner to come in and make a difference now though!!

I remember the game we went down as I had a broken arm and it had been arranged for me to meet the squad after the game and get my cast signed. Missed out on my two favourite players as Willie Miller and Pat Mcginlay were too annoyed to come out!

Nakedmanoncrack
15-04-2014, 08:38 PM
i was young at the time but i remember that rangers game and the game we were oficially relegated , it came as a shock to me

i also remember being at both the games against airdrie in the playoffs and they beat us in the 1st game at easter road then we tanned them at broadwood to stay up . i thought we were goin down that season

We won both legs of that play-off, though we made hard work of the 2nd leg at Broadwood going a goal behind, Airdrie then missing a penalty before we came back to win by a flattering 4-2.

hibs4thecup1988
15-04-2014, 08:50 PM
We won both legs of that play-off, though we made hard work of the 2nd leg at Broadwood going a goal behind, Airdrie then missing a penalty before we came back to win by a flattering 4-2.

1-0 at Easter Road. The same day Di Matteo scored after 30 seconds or something in the cup final vs Middlesboro.

As for relegation, I was only 11 at the time but I also found it as a shock. Was very upset and thought we would get out of it, especially when we went ahead against United. I always seem to remember us playing for 45 minutes that season, be it the first or second half. This year there doesn't seem to be any fight any passion or any care to be honest. It won't be a shock to me if this team goes down.

Need all the support we can to make sure it doesn't happen! :agree::tbgwa::top marks

HibbyAndy
15-04-2014, 08:59 PM

We won 1-0 at Easter rd with Hunter getting sent off

Mibbes Aye
15-04-2014, 09:08 PM
You could argue there were various points in the season where going down became a harsh reality. The one that sticks out for me was the away trip to Dunfermline, just after we had beaten Homfc and put paid to any ridiculous title hopes they may have had.......
(what a game - Harper and Basher :greengrin :flag:)

We took a huge support IIRC and if we had won we would have only been a couple of points behind the Pars with still a few games to go. Couldn't manage it though and while we didn't lose, we needed the victory. It felt like it was going to happen then, though obviously it wasn't confirmed until the DUtd game.

I think the previous year we had an away trip to Fife around the same time to play Raith, which was a draw too and maybe confirmed our play-off spot?

I remember the atmosphere amongst our support in the local pubs after one game being rocking and in the other being pretty grim and vitriolic, but not 100% sure which way round. Think the Raith game was also the one where Craig Levein and his wife got on a packed train carriage of Hibbies back to Edinburgh - a certain reception given but in fairness he seemed to take it in good stead.

SouthamptonHibs
15-04-2014, 09:15 PM
If we go down it will be 100% shock! We are meant to be on the up made some decent signings, playing in a pish league with no "the Rangers" and Hearts on -15!
If we go down Hibs would need to get rid of everyone from the Chairman, to the players to the kitman to the poor lady that cooks the meals at "the holiday camp" aka East Mains.
Disgusting bunch of wage thiefs the lot of them!
4pts off 11th with five to play, surely these imposters who wear the green will be able to keep us up this year?
If we go down its would be the worst relegation in our History

FranckSuzy
15-04-2014, 09:16 PM
If we go down it will be 100% shock! We are meant to be on the up made some decent signings, playing in a pish league with no "the Rangers" and Hearts on -15!
If we go down Hibs would need to get rid of everyone from the Chairman, to the players to the Kidman to the poor lady that cooks the meals at "the holiday camp" aka East Mains.
Disgusting bunch of wage thiefs the lot of them!
4pts off 11th with five to play, surely these imposters who wear the green will be able to keep us up this year?
If we go down its would be the worst relegation in our History

Eh?

SouthamptonHibs
15-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Eh?

Our team

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-04-2014, 09:21 PM
1-0 at Easter Road. The same day Di Matteo scored after 30 seconds or something in the cup final vs Middlesboro.

Is that correct? I remember being in Olivers on Rose Street for that game, I cannae believe I missed the play off first leg, I was part of the uber Hibs support back then!

hibs4thecup1988
15-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Is that correct? I remember being in Olivers on Rose Street for that game, I cannae believe I missed the play off first leg, I was part of the uber Hibs support back then!

Certain 17th May 1997 both 3pm KO's

FranckSuzy
15-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Our team

I get that. I was referring to you calling them all wage thieves :confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Aye, just done a bit investigating. Ashamed to say I was at my Jambo mates 21st (I think!), deffo made it to the 2nd leg which was an interesting nights fun!

Just Alf
15-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Our team

Seriously?

Aw naw..... I've just been hooked haven't I? :confused:

SouthamptonHibs
15-04-2014, 10:23 PM
I get that. I was referring to you calling them all wage thieves :confused:

I generalised a bit by saying all of them are wage thiefs!
But if we get relegated I may change my mind

Onceinawhile
15-04-2014, 10:35 PM
You could argue there were various points in the season where going down became a harsh reality. The one that sticks out for me was the away trip to Dunfermline, just after we had beaten Homfc and put paid to any ridiculous title hopes they may have had.......
(what a game - Harper and Basher :greengrin :flag:)

We took a huge support IIRC and if we had won we would have only been a couple of points behind the Pars with still a few games to go. Couldn't manage it though and while we didn't lose, we needed the victory. It felt like it was going to happen then, though obviously it wasn't confirmed until the DUtd game.

I think the previous year we had an away trip to Fife around the same time to play Raith, which was a draw too and maybe confirmed our play-off spot?

I remember the atmosphere amongst our support in the local pubs after one game being rocking and in the other being pretty grim and vitriolic, but not 100% sure which way round. Think the Raith game was also the one where Craig Levein and his wife got on a packed train carriage of Hibbies back to Edinburgh - a certain reception given but in fairness he seemed to take it in good stead.

I remember that, we took a huge support, it was still terracing. One of the guys I went with clocked the soldiers at the back (with guns) and pointed out that he hoped they weren't hibs fans otherwise Ole gottskaltsken starting would make them kill themselves!!! We must have taken 4-6,000 that day. Brebs with both goals.

For a season so horrible I have such good memories! In of his knee as well ffs!!

portycabbage
15-04-2014, 10:46 PM

I think, GF, that you might remember the first leg as an Airdrie win because Airdrie's Steve Cooper scored a textbook header for us. He also kindly skied the penalty at the end of the first half of the second leg, which would have put them 2-1 up overall (I think!).

greenlad
15-04-2014, 11:07 PM
I remember that, we took a huge support, it was still terracing. .....We must have taken 4-6,000 that day. Brebs with both goals.

I rememeber the Evening News on the Monday quoting the away support as 6513, no idea how I remember that but it's stuck with me! It was the last remnants of really big terracings in the Premier Division (which became the SPL that summer) as Dunfermline had only been promoted for 2 years so had the extra time to get their ground Taylor Report compliant - as did Dundee the year after. Most of the bigger clubs (including Hibs) went all-seater in 1994 if not before (Aberdeen). So am I right in thinking that the Dunfermline game was our last ever standing game in the top-flight?

Anyway it was a really unusual day, absolutely scorching and a little bit like the 3-2 game at East End 2 years ago where a defeat would have left us in the mire, but magnified 10 times over as it was so late in the season. Huge support that started to queue down Halbeath Road from 11.30am, as it was PATG not all-ticket. The gates opened about 1pm and when the players came out to warm up at 2.15pm the open terrace behind the goal was absolutely rammed. (I remember Yogi jokingly looking at his watch as if to say "it's not 3pm yet!")

I remember Archie McPherson (who had just returned to STV after years away on Eurosport) expressing surprise on Scotsport the next day that the 13,000 odd crowd was Dunfermline's biggest of the season. I also seem to recall annecdotes of Jim Duffy (not long sacked as Hibs manager) being there to do the game as a radio pundit and getting a hard time from some due to the part he had played in our demise.

Also remember Bryan Gunn our goalie going up for a corner in the 93rd moment and in the chaos Brian Welsh was able to knock it home for a 1-1 draw, which turned out to be not enough in the end.....