PDA

View Full Version : justice for the 96

alley balley0-7
15-04-2014, 01:45 PM
It doesn't matter which team you support.. We all as football fans want one thing.. JUSTICE FOR THE 96.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-04-2014, 04:46 PM
JFT96 - We will never forget you. YNWA

Sylar
15-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Was quite difficult to see some of the footage from the service at Anfield today - very moving indeed.

I don't remember Hillsborough, as I was only 3 when it happened but with the constant exposure over the years, it really hits you just how awful a day this must have been. Having said that, I would guess that TV pictures can't quite convey the total carnage of the day (I certainly know the pictures and videos of 9/11 I've seen on TV don't come close to the horrors of New York that day).

25 years on and still more questions than answers - I do wonder if the families will ever get the justice they seek, though this new inquest will hopefully help them along the way. Having said that, no matter the outcome of any inquest/trials, the families will never get what they want, as it's been taken from them - they should never have had to experience their loved ones going to the football and not coming home. Just like the families of Juventus, Rangers and Bradford fans shouldn't have had to experience it.

Alex Trager
15-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm surprised Hibs haven't tweeted about it or anything like that. Would be a nice sentiment

mca
15-04-2014, 07:08 PM
As a kid growing up in Scotland I supported Liverpool - I was 15 and had not long lost my father and moved to the Doncaster area..

Had been along to Hillsborough once before for Sheffweds v Coventry - first time I had ever been in a crowd 30k plus..

This game came up and as i had never seen Liverpool play - and a few of my school mates were going.. I wanted to go...

On the day of the game - I told my folks I was off watch the football.. No - you cant - you have to watch the Pub...

I know - imagine a 15 year old running a pub.... great days..

But- i called them effing allsorts... This was my First and Now i know it was my Last chance of ever getting to see Liverpool play.....

God Bless the 96... JFT96 x

Thecat23
15-04-2014, 07:16 PM
For any fan who goes to a game and never returns is horrific. For this to happen to 96 at one game is unthinkable. Sadly due to many failings from the police this happened.

I'm not a Liverpool fan but I don't need to be to see justice must be carried out to those responsible and for those who deserve the truth.

RIP
JFT96

Seveno
15-04-2014, 08:12 PM
First and foremost, the loss of life was both horrific and tragic.

The continual cover-up by the state has added further agony for the families and compounded the injustice. It demonstrates why our civil liberties are so important and why we have to fight to retain them.

ehf
15-04-2014, 08:23 PM
For any fan who goes to a game and never returns is horrific. For this to happen to 96 at one game is unthinkable. Sadly due to many failings from the police this happened.

I'm not a Liverpool fan but I don't need to be to see justice must be carried out to those responsible and for those who deserve the truth.

RIP
JFT96

Totally agree and completely support the JFT96 campaign. However...

39 Juventus fans went to the European Cup Final at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels on 28 May 1985 and never returned. Nobody seems to remember that, anymore.

Pretty Boy
15-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Nobody should go to a football match and not go home.

When the reason for them not go home is covered up and blamed on fellow fans, how do you deal with that? I can't imagine what those families have been through. They really are wonderfully strong people to have kept fighting against what seemed impossible odds, Police and politicians wished they would just disappear, and they will soon finally get the truth.

Nakedmanoncrack
15-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Totally agree and completely support the JFT96 campaign. However... 39 Juventus fans went to the European Cup Final at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels on 28 May 1985 and never returned. Nobody seems to remember that, anymore. Agreed.

blackpoolhibs
15-04-2014, 08:58 PM

39 Juventus fans went to the European Cup Final at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels on 28 May 1985 and never returned. Nobody seems to remember that, anymore.

I'd imagine there are similar things happening in Italy when certain anniversaries come up.

7 Hills
15-04-2014, 09:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yu_70iDn0

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-04-2014, 09:06 PM
As a neutral observer in the stadium on the day I'll just say it obviously wasn't a pleasant experience to say the least, I think I'll leave it to Scouse Hibee to convey the emotions involved on his return home to Edinburgh. Its something thats never far away from my thoughts though.

Dublin07
15-04-2014, 09:22 PM
As a few have said already - know one should ever lose their life following the team they love. All disasters at ibrox, bradford, heysel and hillsborough were all horrific. What stands out for the 96 is they way the victims and their families were treated in the days, months and years after the tragedy. I take my 2 boys like many others to see my team and the thought of returning home without them brings tears to my eyes.
Thankfully in the years since the tragedy football has moved on and stadiums are safer and more regulated. Also the football world has become more caring and respectful as back in 89 we had to play a scottish cup semi final at hampden less than 24 hours after hillsborough standing on the then crumbling steps of hampden. The match was shown live on telly in between news bulletins from hillsborough.

ehf
15-04-2014, 09:46 PM
I'd imagine there are similar things happening in Italy when certain anniversaries come up.

Quite possibly, but my point is that it has been totally swept under the carpet in the UK.

stoneyburn hibs
15-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Quite possibly, but my point is that it has been totally swept under the carpet in the UK.

Maybe best left for another day though eh ?

ehf
15-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Maybe best left for another day though eh ?

That is exactly how sweeping under the carpet works.

FranckSuzy
15-04-2014, 11:10 PM
That is exactly how sweeping under the carpet works.

Hardly. People are trying to show respect for the 96 football fans who died that day. Bringing up another disaster on the same thread is pretty tactless, IMHO.

ehf
15-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Hardly. People are trying to show respect for the 96 football fans who died that day. Bringing up another disaster on the same thread is pretty tactless, IMHO.

Very tricky one, and I have the utmost respect for the families of the victims and their quest for justice, but the issue is that Liverpool fans are somehow exonerated by Hillsborough for atrocities both before and after it happened. And that does not serve the interests of justice. And we talk about the MSM here ignoring the reality of the Huns and yams situations, but Heysel really is the biggest cover-up of all time.

Jones28
16-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Very tricky one, and I have the utmost respect for the families of the victims and their quest for justice, but the issue is that Liverpool fans are somehow exonerated by Hillsborough for atrocities both before and after it happened. And that does not serve the interests of justice. And we talk about the MSM here ignoring the reality of the Huns and yams situations, but Heysel really is the biggest cover-up of all time.

Could this not be saved for another thread?

RIP Bestie
16-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Giroud of Arsenal showed unadulterated class this evening with his goal celebration and tribute to the 96. Well done sir. Those 96 deserve justice. I'm really sorry but I wish that ehf could have shown that same class.

JohnStephens91
16-04-2014, 03:01 AM
I wasn't born at the time of the tragedy, but the footage that is so prevalent is harrowing, I don't even need to describe it. I have visited Anfield on numerous occasions, and each time I go to pay my respects at both memorials for Hillsborough and Heysel.

Before I go on about Hillsborough, I will say this about Heysel - the difference is that the cause of death for the fans involved was not covered up and Liverpool fans have always been blamed for it. The club themselves have a memorial outside the Centenary Stand and, in case people have short memories, the club and supporters also arranged a tribute for those killed at Heysel in 2005 against Juventus, the first time the clubs came face-to-face with each other competitively. There was a minute's silence and reparations were made. Whilst it does not excuse the actions of the fans at the time, it does show Liverpool to be genuinely penitent, especially after what their fans, and the city in general, had been through.

The families of the 96 who died are still seeking justice, 25 years later, and no reparations have been made between the responsible parties. It runs from the top down and involves, sadly, the media blaming fans - especially The Sun. A colossal cover-up and fans being blamed, the victims being made out to be guilty. Children died. Women died. Men died. All of them blamed, the finger pointed at them. All because people did not do their jobs correctly and did not make sure the supporters were safe, 96 people were robbed of their lives.

The way in which the families of the victims have conducted themselves has been exemplary, the campaign for the 25 years has been amazing and garnered widespread support. I'm glad that the end of it is nearing for them, it will not bring their relatives back, but it will lift the cloud that has been intruding in their lives of the unknown and what did actually happen. It will never help anyone forget the memories of the day and the harrowing images, but what it will do is help the fans who suffered from, or still suffer from, survivor's guilt over the incident. A club, a rivalry, a city, a country where a majority of people stand by the victims who have been lied to and cheated out of justice for years and been blamed for the incident.

I've seen a fan die at the football, it was not nice, and that's an understatement because the scene and the distressing silence will forever be ingrained in my memory. I couldn't ever imagine seeing a crush like the video footage shows and the aftermath. Justice is coming for them, at last.

RIP Bestie
16-04-2014, 03:24 AM
I wasn't born at the time of the tragedy, but the footage that is so prevalent is harrowing, I don't even need to describe it. I have visited Anfield on numerous occasions, and each time I go to pay my respects at both memorials for Hillsborough and Heysel.

Before I go on about Hillsborough, I will say this about Heysel - the difference is that the cause of death for the fans involved was not covered up and Liverpool fans have always been blamed for it. The club themselves have a memorial outside the Centenary Stand and, in case people have short memories, the club and supporters also arranged a tribute for those killed at Heysel in 2005 against Juventus, the first time the clubs came face-to-face with each other competitively. There was a minute's silence and reparations were made. Whilst it does not excuse the actions of the fans at the time, it does show Liverpool to be genuinely penitent, especially after what their fans, and the city in general, had been through.

The families of the 96 who died are still seeking justice, 25 years later, and no reparations have been made between the responsible parties. It runs from the top down and involves, sadly, the media blaming fans - especially The Sun. A colossal cover-up and fans being blamed, the victims being made out to be guilty. Children died. Women died. Men died. All of them blamed, the finger pointed at them. All because people did not do their jobs correctly and did not make sure the supporters were safe, 96 people were robbed of their lives.

The way in which the families of the victims have conducted themselves has been exemplary, the campaign for the 25 years has been amazing and garnered widespread support. I'm glad that the end of it is nearing for them, it will not bring their relatives back, but it will lift the cloud that has been intruding in their lives of the unknown and what did actually happen. It will never help anyone forget the memories of the day and the harrowing images, but what it will do is help the fans who suffered from, or still suffer from, survivor's guilt over the incident. A club, a rivalry, a city, a country where a majority of people stand by the victims who have been lied to and cheated out of justice for years and been blamed for the incident.

I've seen a fan die at the football, it was not nice, and that's an understatement because the scene and the distressing silence will forever be ingrained in my memory. I couldn't ever imagine seeing a crush like the video footage shows and the aftermath. Justice is coming for them, at last.
The 96 who died at Hillsborough were, every single one of them, innocent victims of a lot of mistakes 25 years ago. They did nothing to influence what was going to happen that tragic day. There are many many others who cannot say the same and I'm sure that there are people within the authorities, Sheffield Wednesday, and the Liverpool fans who wish that they could turn back the clock. But today was not about that. Today was about remembering and paying tribute to those 96 innocent souls who perished on that sad sad day. The truth will come out and it's great that the families will finally feel a sense of justice for their loved ones. Today was certainly not about point scoring over other tragic events at sporting occasions.

emerald green
16-04-2014, 05:56 AM
Nobody should go to a football match and not go home.

When the reason for them not go home is covered up and blamed on fellow fans, how do you deal with that? I can't imagine what those families have been through. They really are wonderfully strong people to have kept fighting against what seemed impossible odds, Police and politicians wished they would just disappear, and they will soon finally get the truth.

And lets not ever forget the shameful part played in the aftermath of that awful tragedy by The Sun newspaper.

Greentinted
16-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Giroud of Arsenal showed unadulterated class this evening with his goal celebration and tribute to the 96. Well done sir. Those 96 deserve justice. I'm really sorry but I wish that ehf could have shown that same class.

Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq1U3gnt8BQ

lord bunberry
16-04-2014, 07:23 AM
I remember watching it at the time as a 14 year old and it not really registering fully with me what had happened, but as the years have passed the horror of what happened and the subsequent cover up from the police and politicians makes me sick.
Anyone who was going to the football in those days knows it could have been anyone of us, I remember what it was like trying to get out of tynecastle with that ridiculous narrow exit.
Nothing will bring back the innocent fans who died that day but I really hope that there's finally justice for the 96 and those guilty are punished for their crimes

AndyM_1875
16-04-2014, 08:07 AM
I remember watching it at the time as a 14 year old and it not really registering fully with me what had happened, but as the years have passed the horror of what happened and the subsequent cover up from the police and politicians makes me sick.
Anyone who was going to the football in those days knows it could have been anyone of us, I remember what it was like trying to get out of tynecastle with that ridiculous narrow exit.
Nothing will bring back the innocent fans who died that day but I really hope that there's finally justice for the 96 and those guilty are punished for their crimes

I was in 1st year at University at the time and the Scottish Cup semis were that weekend. I think we played Celtic at Hampden the day after Hillsborough and it was a very flat atmosphere, not helped by a pathetic 1st half from Hibs. But even afterwards mixing wih the soapdodgers there was a very subdued mood.

The Politicians of the day who despised fooball and were aided and abetted by the Police and the mouthpiece, the Sun. They sneered (Thatcher's Press Secretary the odious Bernard Ingham (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/margaret-thatcher-aide-sir-bernard-3420040)) and didn't give a toss about a bunch of working class folk getting killed at a football match. Their cover ups and lies in the years that followed condemn them forever.

Liverpool as a city (not just the club) won't forget or forgive.

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2014, 06:52 PM
I had a very emotional day in Liverpool yesterday, having been there on that fateful day I can never forget the images of fellow supporters being carried away on advertising hoardings having clearly already perished. The memories of that and much more will live with me for ever and despite the years it never gets any easier to compose myself whenever I watch footage or attend services.

Yesterday I felt honoured to return to my City to attend the service and witness and experience first hand the solidarity of football supporters from across the UK and indeed the World. Yes there have been many other memorial services but this one felt special, 25 years on and the families can finally see light at the end of the tunnel in their quest for justice. The amount of supporters I met, or encountered from across the UK was phenomenal, their genuine feelings of support and understanding was so very touching that I struggled to hold back the tears when talking to many of them. I of course paid my respects in many ways yesterday, including some very private moments at a local crematorium however I also did something that I never imagined I would do at Anfield.............................I sung You'll Never Walk Alone whilst holding aloft the scarf of another team, that scarf was the scarf of HIBS. So proud to be a scouser yesterday and just as proud to be a Hibee.

Jonnyboy
16-04-2014, 06:56 PM
I had a very emotional day in Liverpool yesterday, having been there on that fateful day I can never forget the images of fellow supporters being carried away on advertising hoardings having clearly already perished. The memories of that and much more will live with me for ever and despite the years it never gets any easier to compose myself whenever I watch footage or attend services.

Yesterday I felt honoured to return to my City to attend the service and witness and experience first hand the solidarity of football supporters from across the UK and indeed the World. Yes there have been many other memorial services but this one felt special, 25 years on and the families can finally see light at the end of the tunnel in their quest for justice. The amount of supporters I met, or encountered from across the UK was phenomenal, their genuine feelings of support and understanding was so very touching that I struggled to hold back the tears when talking to many of them. I of course paid my respects in many ways yesterday, including some very private moments at a local crematorium however I also did something that I never imagined I would do at Anfield.............................I sung You'll Never Walk Alone whilst holding aloft the scarf of another team, that scarf was the scarf of HIBS. So proud to be a scouser yesterday and just as proud to be a Hibee.

Great post that had my hair standing on end :agree:

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2014, 07:47 PM

Plenty of folk remember it mate including both clubs so don't worry yourself.

Danderhall Hibs
16-04-2014, 08:28 PM

Good post mate. I'm not an emotional guy but the thought of what those families have been/are going through always gets me.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Good post mate. I'm not an emotional guy but the thought of what those families have been/are going through always gets me.

I had the feeling SH's post would be worth waiting for.

Lester B
17-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Plenty of folk remember it mate including both clubs so don't worry yourself.

A dignified response to some of the nonsense posted here sir. I salute you for that and for your beautiful other post.

Mathias Jack
17-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Had goosebumps when I heard it watching the Liverpool-City game on Sunday and again reading your post Scouse Hibee. Best post I've ever read on here.

Justice For The 96

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
17-04-2014, 11:32 AM
96 folk went to a football game and never came home.

How utterly unacceptable and absurd does that statement seem?!?

I hope all those involved in the cover up get their just desserts.

hibsbollah
17-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Wonderful :agree:

West Upper
17-04-2014, 11:40 PM

Brilliant emotional post.