PDA

View Full Version : Another ex player doing well !

Hibs7
14-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Another player dumped by a crap Hibs manager who went on to play better away from Hibs .... Our past managers have a lot to answer for !!!!

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/rankin-s-hibs-wilderness-days-consigned-to-past-1-3375378

SMAXXA
14-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Another player dumped by a crap Hibs manager who went on to play better away from Hibs .... Our past managers have a lot to answer for !!!!

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/rankin-s-hibs-wilderness-days-consigned-to-past-1-3375378

It happens, players come and go

Winston Ingram
14-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Tbf, it couldn't have been too hard. He was ****in rotten here.

Hibbyradge
14-04-2014, 07:16 AM

Most fans agreed with Calderwood.

Hibs7
14-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Now that is a profound statement ... It just shows that we as fans know nothing ... The same with Wotherspoon ... Maybe better supporting players and it might cause them to relax and show what they are really capable of .. Rather than the Hibs support way to slag our players off if the have a bad game ... History shows that most of the problems with player performance is down to how they are managed... Basic man management skills seem to be lacking in our ex managers except for Mowbray.

Golden Bear
14-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Post Mowbray era we've had very very few ex players who went on to bigger and better things. And that in itself speaks volumes on the quality of the player we've been lumbered with for a number of years.

Bostonhibby
14-04-2014, 07:31 AM
I liked Rankine, another one who would have done better with better players around him. Dundee utd seem to have managed it. His behaviours were apparently more professional than we were used to, tee total apparently.

We move on, but in my opinion we don't have better than him, not on the pitch anyway.

Calderwood decisions? Enough said.

J-C
14-04-2014, 07:37 AM
I picked Rankin up from the Spire hospital last summer, he was in getting his knee cleaned up. Told me he was very annoyed and upset in the way he left Hibs, also said he knows he's not the most gifted player ever and works even harder to to make it to the top, very nice guy to talk to, tee total and a very good professional, obviously he didn't fit into the George St culture at the club.

basehibby
14-04-2014, 07:44 AM
He says nothing about it but it sticks out to me that both Rankin and Wotherspoon were given it tight by the know-it-all-ista section at ER - they lacked positive support from the stands at times - possibly trying too hard as a result rather than playing their natural games. This will have done nothing to help their form. The ultimate call in these cases IS the manager, but the fans have a part to play in getting the best out of players as well.

Elephant Stone
14-04-2014, 07:45 AM
If we were rumoured to be signing Rankin and Wotherspoon in the summer I'd be surprised if many people would be pleased. I wouldn't, they bored me to death and I'm glad we released them.

easty
14-04-2014, 07:47 AM
He says nothing about it but it sticks out to me that both Rankin and Wotherspoon were given it tight by the know-it-all-ista section at ER - they lacked positive support from the stands at times - possibly trying too hard as a result rather than playing their natural games. This will have done nothing to help their form. The ultimate call in these cases IS the manager, but the fans have a part to play in getting the best out of players as well.

It's up to the players to get the best out of themselves, Rankin didn't do that at Hibs. His fault, not ours. So, he's went to Utd and done well, good for him, but we let him go cos he wasn't doing the business on the park.

lord bunberry
14-04-2014, 07:56 AM
=Hibs7;3969481]Now that is a profound statement ... It just shows that we as fans know nothing ... The same with Wotherspoon ... Maybe better supporting players and it might cause them to relax and show what they are really capable of .. Rather than the Hibs support way to slag our players off if the have a bad game ... History shows that most of the problems with player performance is down to how they are managed... Basic man management skills seem to be lacking in our ex managers except for Mowbray.[/QUOTE]

I supported both player the same as I support all the team, the fact is both were poor at easter road. Rankin was decent when we were playing well(a bit like he is now) but was posted missing when the chips were down. Spoony had talent but didn't show it often enough.
There's been far to many players at easter road that need to have everything handed to them on a plate in order for them to show the talent they undoubtedly have, we're constantly being told that certain players will be better with better players around them, when what we need is leaders to pick the rest up and carry them through games when times are hard, Rankin and Spoony had the talent to do well but they weren't the type of players we needed at the time or need now.

Bostonhibby
14-04-2014, 08:00 AM
I think both players were potentially good players who could have pushed on, especially wotherspoon, they were both caught up in a run of very bad managers, especially coco, they join good managers, and the rest is history.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-04-2014, 08:10 AM
I liked Rankin:agree:

Saorsa
14-04-2014, 08:12 AM
I think both players were potentially good players who could have pushed on, especially wotherspoon, they were both caught up in a run of very bad managers, especially coco, they join good managers, and the rest is history.With better players? When you just have average players another average player makes nae difference. You can have average players in your team, you can have young players in your team but they need a bit of quality tae carry them through. We just have average and young players, little quality.

Edit: I see spoony mentioned on this thread, I liked him and was disappointed when he left but it was probably better for him tae move on for his own sake. He came through at the club at the wrong time with a series of crap managers. The pelters he took from the stands was totally unnecessary and unwarranted IMO.

Broken Gnome
14-04-2014, 08:23 AM
He's a totally different type of player now. His 'all-action' style at Hibs showed up his lack of pace and skill - let's not pretend he was anywhere near consistently good.

Now he's a more decent midfield anchor. I'd think if you surrounded him with Watmore, a on-form Harris, Stanton and Robertson, with decent forwards, then he'd be a far different and better Hibs player than he was.

Hibbyradge
14-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Now that is a profound statement

Thank you. It was meant to be. :wink:

It just shows that we as fans know nothing ... The same with Wotherspoon ... Maybe better supporting players and it might cause them to relax and show what they are really capable of .. Rather than the Hibs support way to slag our players off if the have a bad game ...

Spot on.

SlickShoes
14-04-2014, 08:27 AM

Thread title is basically trolling, for every ex-hibs player that is doing "well" there are about 5 in non league football doing worse. That says a lot about the quality of player we sign and what happens to their "career" once they are finished at hibs.

Mr White
14-04-2014, 08:31 AM
John rankin was a very frustrating player to watch imo. Often going for the spectacular pass or shot and fluffing it when a simpler,safer option was available. Good on him for stepping up since his move to utd though.

SlickShoes
14-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Both Rankin and Wotherspoon are average SPL players, they would make no difference to our currently abysmal team.

Do folk forget what these guys were like?

For every wonder goal wotherspoon scored there were 50 runs directly at defenders that resulted in losing the ball. Rankin spent most of his time at hibs running about like a headless chicken, he's no even playing the same way now.

It's down to a player to be good and excel at there chosen sport, to blame the fans is ridiculous. We all want hibs players to do well, but why shouldn't we voice concern when they play consistently bad? Both of these players had LARGE runs of games where they produced nothing.

Hibercelona
14-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Are people still of the opinion that it is strictly down to managerial appointments and that there are no other possible reasons as to why players are rotten, or nowhere near their best when they are here?

There was a player in Rankin that we couldn't get out. They'll be players in our current squad that we're writting off, who will undoubtedly perform better elsewhere.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Why was he told to stay away from the training ground by Calderclown?

Hibercelona
14-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Both Rankin and Wotherspoon are average SPL players, they would make no difference to our currently abysmal team.

Do folk forget what these guys were like?

For every wonder goal wotherspoon scored there were 50 runs directly at defenders that resulted in losing the ball. Rankin spent most of his time at hibs running about like a headless chicken, he's no even playing the same way now.

It's down to a player to be good and excel at there chosen sport, to blame the fans is ridiculous. We all want hibs players to do well, but why shouldn't we voice concern when they play consistently bad? Both of these players had LARGE runs of games where they produced nothing.

What concerns me is that players go to another team and suddenly they're able to identify their strengths and their weaknesses and play the best possible way that works for them.

But while they're here, we persist on trying to play players the same way all the time, when clearly they're not being played to their strengths.

We must be the worst team in the league for playing players out of position and giving them instructions that don't appeal to their strengths.

Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference who the manager is.

jgl07
14-04-2014, 09:00 AM
John Rankin was effectively hounded out of Easter Road by the supporters. He is exactly the same player for Dundee United as he was for Hibs. He ran his guts out, scored spectacular goals and provided cohesion in midfield. However he was labelled as the fall guy for all Hibs' failings.

The blame game continues for Hibs' failings. It appears to be McGiven at the moment in the firing line. Wotherspoon has been on the wrong end at times as has Lewis Stevenson.

The crowd is the one common factor in the failings of Hibs under a succession of managers. The Butcher Out brigade, who no doubt were previously the Fenlon Out, the Calderwood Out, The Yogi Out and the Mixu Out Brigade, might like to reflect on this.

hibee_girl
14-04-2014, 09:05 AM
John Rankin was effectively hounded out of Easter Road by the supporters. He is exactly the same player for Dundee United as he was for Hibs. He ran his guts out, scored spectacular goals and provided cohesion in midfield. However he was labelled as the fall guy for all Hibs' failings.

The blame game continues for Hibs' failings. It appears to be McGiven at the moment in the firing line. Wotherspoon has been on the wrong end at times as has Lewis Stevenson.

The crowd is the one common factor in the failings of Hibs under a succession of managers. The Butcher Out brigade, who no doubt were previously the Fenlon Out, the Calderwood Out, The Yogi Out and the Mixu Out Brigade, might like to reflect on this.

:agree:

Del Boy
14-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Rankin would easily get a game for this current hibs team. Has exactly the right attitude that we are lacking just now and is a very decent footballer. Good luck to him, could be about to become a Scottish cup winning captain.

jakeshibs
14-04-2014, 09:12 AM

I agree well said

Mr White
14-04-2014, 09:13 AM
John Rankin scored spectacular goals and provided cohesion in midfield.

He scored 6 goals in 114 games for us. I can remember 4 of them and yes they were all from outside the box but I don't think that tells the whole story. John rankin has a lot of good attributes but his goal record is poor and he wasted a lot of opportunities thinking he could ping shots in from distance when the reality was more often than not that he missed.

DH1875
14-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Me too.

Mikey
14-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Well said sir.

mjhibby
14-04-2014, 09:50 AM

Totally agree on the fans part. Players like Witherspoon and Callum booth need encouragement and they will flourish. We as hibs fans have to admit we can be hyper critical but ultimately the players have to do it on the park as we would have to in our jobs. Good luck to them both in the final.

Boyle89
14-04-2014, 09:57 AM

I think that's drivel. Rankin was not hounded out by supporters. It was the managers decision and his alone to freeze out rankin. As others have said let's not pretend rankin was something he wasn't. He was an average player, nothing more. And to say he was the fall guy for all hibs failings is nonsens. It's just that people wanted more than average.
McGivern is in the firing line because he's been woeful this season. He falls asleep as vital points in games costing us goals and matches. Spoony got it tight cause he was chronically inconsistent and Lewis cause he is again an average player.
Now on to the manager thing. If the managers had actually done their job and entertained us with a decent team on the park then they would still be in a job. Fenlon didn't. Calderwood (still makes me angry saying his name) certainly didn't. Some say we were going backwards under yogi (for the record I like yogi) and the football under mixu was truly eye-bleeding stuff. IMO the crowd have nothing to think about except the utter dross we've been subjected to for the past few years.

clerriehibs
14-04-2014, 10:01 AM

Absolutely. It's long past the time the cynics in the stand and on the forums realised the common factor in the trough we're in is the fans.

I will admit to an intense dislike, often voiced, of AO'B as a player, though.

Monts
14-04-2014, 10:02 AM
I think it's a bit of both. The fans and the rankins ability were why he didn't succeed at Hibs.

He followed a midfield of Brown Thomson and Beuzy. That's a very tough act to follow. He couldn't match that and the fans knew it too. He didn't hide though and he would try unbelievably hard in games. But when the shot went wide, or the pass went astray, he was in the firing line, as that wasn't what we had come to expect .

Keith_M
14-04-2014, 10:09 AM

Sad but true.

It was my opinion at the time that he was capable of better but that his confidence was shot. I'm not saying he was the new Messi or that he never made mistakes, just that he wasn't really as bad as what we were watching. I remember people giving him abuse when someone passed the ball to him, before he had even touched it. I also remember some idiots abuse him as he warmed up on the touchlines when he was a sub.

I for one am happy things have worked out well for him.

greenlex
14-04-2014, 10:18 AM

There were times I felt alone banging that particular drum.

Golden Bear
14-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Liam Craig will be the new John Rankin.

Craig is a good player who happens to be playing badly right now. His confidence has been dented and in the end he will be hounded out of ER and his career will flourish elsewhere.

Watch this space.

silverhibee
14-04-2014, 10:54 AM

I didn't.

silverhibee
14-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I picked Rankin up from the Spire hospital last summer, he was in getting his knee cleaned up. Told me he was very annoyed and upset in the way he left Hibs, also said he knows he's not the most gifted player ever and works even harder to to make it to the top, very nice guy to talk to, tee total and a very good professional, obviously he didn't fit into the George St culture at the club.

Ranks would still have nights out with the players on George Street, he just wouldn't have a drink.

As you say, a really nice guy and a good pro, but the kid-on managers that attend ER hounded him out of the club, i guy who would give everything for the team and a good role model at training, but deemed not good enough for Hibs.

A few years down the line and they same folk think Lewis Stevenson should be POTY.

Before anyone starts i also like Lewis for what he gives to the club, but i get the feeling he may not be in Butchers plans for next season, would be a good player for back up on the bench.

Bobby's Cinema
14-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Let's not start rewriting history with another one. Rankin towards the end showed no more here than a poor Tom Taiwo is at the moment.

Yet another one seemingly a product of the environment. We have to look forward.

silverhibee
14-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Let's not start rewriting history with another one. Rankin towards the end showed no more here than a poor Tom Taiwo is at the moment.

Yet another one seemingly a product of the environment. We have to look forward.

Towards the end he was getting the same treatment as big Nishy, neither wonder he struggled but he didn't hide and gave his all for the team.

Jim44
14-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Rankin would easily get a game for this current hibs team. Has exactly the right attitude that we are lacking just now and is a very decent footballer. Good luck to him, could be about to become a Scottish cup winning captain.

Me too.

Count me in. I thought letting him go was a mistake, still do, but that's football. He would walk into the current team but there are many who will tell us that he wouldn't be good enough when Butcher gets his act together.:rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
14-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I didn't.

Nor me.

However I'd like a list of all these ex players supposedly setting the heather on fire elsewhere. I genuinely can't think of many but I keep reading about them all on here so perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I can think of, and name, many who have tumbled down the leagues into obscurity though.

Deansy
14-04-2014, 11:44 AM
What concerns me is that players go to another team and suddenly they're able to identify their strengths and their weaknesses and play the best possible way that works for them.

But while they're here, we persist on trying to play players the same way all the time, when clearly they're not being played to their strengths.

We must be the worst team in the league for playing players out of position and giving them instructions that don't appeal to their strengths.

Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference who the manager is.

Spot-on - we seem to have managers who think they have a talent for turning forwards into defenders !!

MWHIBBIES
14-04-2014, 12:20 PM
I liked Rankine, another one who would have done better with better players around him. Dundee utd seem to have managed it. His behaviours were apparently more professional than we were used to, tee total apparently.

We move on, but in my opinion we don't have better than him, not on the pitch anyway.

Calderwood decisions? Enough said.Same thing was said about Liam Miller when he was surrounded by average like John Rankin

ManBearPig
14-04-2014, 12:25 PM

agreed and you can go further back to Stuart Lovell and even I remember Pat McGinlay getting hard time.

you are either really naive, young pr stupid to think getting rid of Butcher would be a wise move.

SlickShoes
14-04-2014, 12:29 PM

The same supporters that were present when we trounced Hearts 6-2? the same supporters that were there when we were relegated and came straight back up? The same supporters that saw us defeat AEK Athens with no one giving us a hope? The same supporters that bought 30k plus tickets for our 2-0 cup final loss to Livi? the same supporters that saw us trounce Killie 5-1 in the cup final?

Aye we are a terrible crowd.

SlickShoes
14-04-2014, 12:30 PM
agreed and you can go further back to Stuart Lovell and even I remember Pat McGinlay getting hard time.

you are either really naive, young pr stupid to think getting rid of Butcher would be a wise move.

Pat McGinlay was great in seasons leading up to him needing a new contract.

lord bunberry
14-04-2014, 12:38 PM
The same supporters that were present when we trounced Hearts 6-2? the same supporters that were there when we were relegated and came straight back up? The same supporters that saw us defeat AEK Athens with no one giving us a hope? The same supporters that bought 30k plus tickets for our 2-0 cup final loss to Livi? the same supporters that saw us trounce Killie 5-1 in the cup final?

Your wasting your time mate, there's people on here for one reason or another want to blame all our current problems on a small minority of fans that shout abuse at our own players.

silverhibee
14-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Nor me.

However I'd like a list of all these ex players supposedly setting the heather on fire elsewhere. I genuinely can't think of many but I keep reading about them all on here so perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I can think of, and name, many who have tumbled down the leagues into obscurity though.

Steven Thicot is doing okay for himself.

EH6 Hibby
14-04-2014, 01:02 PM

We're great when we're winning. There are some that are shocking when we're not.

I'm not saying the fans are solely responsible for our current problems, but they are part of the problem.

Pretty Boy
14-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Steven Thicot is doing okay for himself.

So that's 1.

John Rankin is 2, Davud Wotherspoon is 3 (if he's actually doing well, jury seems to be out amongst the Sts fans I know), if we stretched it we could say Eoin Doyle is 4 (although League 2 is hardly glitz and glamour), we could really stretch it and say Torben Jonleit even though he wasn't our player.

I've probably missed a couple but it's hardly a whopping list of players who suddenly become Messi after leaving the bug, bad Hibs fans.

SlickShoes
14-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Here is our squad from 2008-2009, other than Fletcher and Rankin, I don't think any of those players have much chance of coming back to haunt us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Hibernian_F.C._season

So if one player per year that is guff for us at some point and takes some pelters goes on to play well elsewhere then that means the fans are abysmal and we are the worst club ever?

ManBearPig
14-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Pat McGinlay was great in seasons leading up to him needing a new contract.

I would take him now! ;-)

Dashing Bob S
14-04-2014, 01:32 PM
There's not liking a player (for me, Rankin was generally poor, occasionally flattering to deceive, whereas I watched Wotherspoon being dismantled by a section of our support) and using their poor performance as an outlet to express your own neurosis.

I'm of the you 'pay your money so you are entitled to criticise' school, but there's a culture in the ER stands that I would say is akin to bullying. It's an ugly, mob, show-off mentality, and it feeds off scenting weakness and denigrating the individual who displays it. Opposition players are generally exempt; they only show up irregularly so cannot be subjected to a regular campaign of being psychologically broken down and shredded by the boo-boys.

I don't think players should be wrapped in cotton wool; they should expect criticism when they aren't performing or are making basic errors. However, some of the targeting of players at Easter Road is over the top, and how anybody thinks they are going to encourage player performance or are 'supporting' the team, with that level of abuse, is way beyond my comprehension.

Anybody could see that Wotherspoon was a player. That sublime piece of skill where he humiliated Michael Stewart showed a talented young man with the world at his feet, who, perhaps in a different environment would have flourished into a top class player and commanded a huge fee for the club that brought him on. The St Johnstone resurrection shows that it might not be too late for him, unlike some of the denizens of our stand, who see abuse of our players as an integral part of their Saturday fun.

Bronson
14-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Rankin was pretty guff, a couple great goals v the ugly sisters but that was about all he contributed. I remember being overcome with rage when he missed a 1v1 against Ayr in the Scottish Cup replay, pretty much summed him up under Calderwood, very frustrating player.

Don't quite understand where people are getting it from that he is somehow the heartbeat of this Dundee Utd team, he's never stood out to me when I've watched them, the likes of Armstrong and Gauld bring far more to the table than he ever has IMO.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Nor me.

I'm still waiting for Maka to come back to haunt us.

Jdawg
14-04-2014, 06:55 PM
There's not liking a player (for me, Rankin was generally poor, occasionally flattering to deceive, whereas I watched Wotherspoon being dismantled by a section of our support) and using their poor performance as an outlet to express your own neurosis.

I'm of the you 'pay your money so you are entitled to criticise' school, but there's a culture in the ER stands that I would say is akin to bullying. It's an ugly, mob, show-off mentality, and it feeds off scenting weakness and denigrating the individual who displays it. Opposition players are generally exempt; they only show up irregularly so cannot be subjected to a regular campaign of being psychologically broken down and shredded by the boo-boys.

I don't think players should be wrapped in cotton wool; they should expect criticism when they aren't performing or are making basic errors. However, some of the targeting of players at Easter Road is over the top, and how anybody thinks they are going to encourage player performance or are 'supporting' the team, with that level of abuse, is way beyond my comprehension.

Anybody could see that Wotherspoon was a player. That sublime piece of skill where he humiliated Michael Stewart showed a talented young man with the world at his feet, who, perhaps in a different environment would have flourished into a top class player and commanded a huge fee for the club that brought him on. The St Johnstone resurrection shows that it might not be too late for him, unlike some of the denizens of our stand, who see abuse of our players as an integral part of their Saturday fun. I agree with a lot of this but the world at his feet??? I wouldn't go that far. I think some fans actually want hibs to lose the way they go on at the games, especially in the east.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Wotherspoon and Rankin have done OK at their new clubs, but lets not pretend they are the heartbeat of their respective teams. I'm happy for both of them and its nice to know that one of them will get a cup winners medal. The truth is that both players were pretty average for most of their time at ER and Spoony especially has to ask himself why he couldn't become a regular in some pretty boggin Hibs teams. I do think he had the talent. .... so what went wrong?

Some folk blame the fans:

Its a fact that the fans are very frustrated and have become more so as the decade has gone on. I don't like fans picking on a particular player to the extent that no matter what he does he gets stick. Michael Nelson springs to mind .... against Aberdeen he received a stupid pass on half way that left him with the option of getting dispossessed leading to an Aberdeen breakaway or hoofing it out of play ..... he hoofed it up the park into touch and got dogs abuse ....for doing the right thing. He is a poor player no doubt, but geeza break.

But ...... This is a two way street, exactly how long can supporters be expected to suffer poor play and apparent lack of effort before their, if not loyalty, but at least patience, runs out. I cant remember Hibs being booed onto the park in the last two cup finals, in fact on both occasions the support they received was second to none, but we were never in either game. Nobody booed them onto the park against Raith Rovers either.

If the club wants the fans on side they have to reward years of quite frankly undeserved loyalty by doing something to arrest the clubs malaise, other than to suggest its the fans fault if they don't buy season tickets. The fans ( well the vast majority ) don't want to boo the team. But if its true that we are to blame for 4 seasons of terrible league form, then its time that some of the big girls blouses who play for us ignored the big nasty fans and stuck two fingers up to us by growing a set ....... I mean, exactly what business do they think they are in.

Ye gods:

An owner who isnae intae fitba
A part time chairman
A set of players who have so little faith in their ability that they get put off by a load of folk most of whom never played better than pub league.

Nae wonder this club is in the state its in !!! :bitchy:

Viva_Palmeiras
14-04-2014, 07:30 PM
An oft-misquoted wise man once said "to err is Hibee, to forgive? Pass the wine!"

emerald green
14-04-2014, 08:10 PM

"Most fans agreed with Calderwood". What do you base that sweeping statement on? I, for one did not agree with Calderwood. He was yet another disastrous managerial appointment at this club. Totally not interested. Waste of time & money. What's he doing now?

Pretty Boy
14-04-2014, 08:18 PM
"Most fans agreed with Calderwood". What do you base that sweeping statement on? I, for one did not agree with Calderwood. He was yet another disastrous managerial appointment at this club. Totally not interested. Waste of time & money. What's he doing now?

What's Calderwood doing now?

Probably managing a team of superstars who's careers have gone from strength to strength since leaving Hibs and not having to deal with the worst fans in the world.

Divis

Hart
Stephens
O'Hanlon
Kujabi

Soares
Thornhill
O'Donovan
O'Brien

Trakys
Agogo

All have gone on to bigger and better things.

Kato
14-04-2014, 08:26 PM
But while they're here, we persist on trying to play players the same way all the time,

Are you saying that Rankin and Wotherspoon were always deployed in the same positions whilst at Hibs.

BTW neither player has "suddenly" revealed anything. They are both average SPL players who didn't hack it for us.

Kato
14-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Wotherspoon and Rankin have done OK at their new clubs, but lets not pretend they are the heartbeat of their respective teams. I'm happy for both of them and its nice to know that one of them will get a cup winners medal. The truth is that both players were pretty average for most of their time at ER and Spoony especially has to ask himself why he couldn't become a regular in some pretty boggin Hibs teams. I do think he had the talent. .... so what went wrong?

Its a fact that the fans are very frustrated and have become more so as the decade has gone on. I don't like fans picking on a particular player to the extent that no matter what he does he gets stick. Michael Nelson springs to mind .... against Aberdeen he received a stupid pass on half way that left him with the option of getting dispossessed leading to an Aberdeen breakaway or hoofing it out of play ..... he hoofed it up the park into touch and got dogs abuse ....for doing the right thing. He is a poor player no doubt, but geeza break.

But ...... This is a two way street, exactly how long can supporters be expected to suffer poor play and apparent lack of effort before their, if not loyalty, but at least patience, runs out. I cant remember Hibs being booed onto the park in the last two cup finals, in fact on both occasions the support they received was second to none, but we were never in either game. Nobody booed them onto the park against Raith Rovers either.

If the club wants the fans on side they have to reward years of quite frankly undeserved loyalty by doing something to arrest the clubs malaise, other than to suggest its the fans fault if they don't buy season tickets. The fans ( well the vast majority ) don't want to boo the team. But if its true that we are to blame for 4 seasons of terrible league form, then its time that some of the big girls blouses who play for us ignored the big nasty fans and stuck two fingers up to us by growing a set ....... I mean, exactly what business do they think they are in.

Ye gods:

A part time chairman
A set of players who have so little faith in their ability that they get put off by a load of folk most of whom never played better than pub league.

:top marks

emerald green
14-04-2014, 08:36 PM

Probably managing a team of superstars who's careers have gone from strength to strength since leaving Hibs and not having to deal with the worst fans in the world.

Divis

Hart
Stephens
O'Hanlon
Kujabi

Soares
Thornhill
O'Donovan
O'Brien

Trakys
Agogo

Aye right. After being sacked at ER in 2011 (12 wins in 49 games in charge). He followed Chris Hughton to Norwich City as assistant manager and left the club when Hughton was dismissed earlier this month.

Kato
14-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Aye right. After being sacked at ER in 2011 (12 wins in 49 games in charge). He followed Chris Hughton to Norwich City as assistant manager and left the club when Hughton was dismissed earlier this month.

I don't hate many people, hate's a very twisted and wasteful emotion. I'm emotionally twisted enough to hate Colin Calderwood though. An absolute twat of a man. I feel cheated in missing out seeing his pan if Norwich were relegated with him still there, hope they stay up now.

Bobby's Cinema
14-04-2014, 08:41 PM

Divis

Hart
Stephens
O'Hanlon
Kujabi

Soares
Thornhill
O'Donovan
O'Brien

Trakys
Agogo

what an absolute horrorshow

Pretty Boy
14-04-2014, 08:44 PM
what an absolute horrorshow

A wee pat on the head and a penny out the poor box and they would have been fine.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-04-2014, 08:45 PM

Divis

Hart
Stephens
O'Hanlon
Kujabi

Soares
Thornhill
O'Donovan
O'Brien

Trakys
Agogo

That team is shocking. How the **** we weren't relegated with a team like that, i'll never know!

Bronson
14-04-2014, 08:53 PM
That team is shocking. How the **** we weren't relegated with a team like that, i'll never know!

They weren't all in the same team at once, just a collection of absolute dross to shame the hibs jersey in recent years.

Wotherspiniesta
14-04-2014, 08:59 PM
John Rankin is Lewis Stevenson with an action man chin and a fake tan.

emerald green
14-04-2014, 09:00 PM
They weren't all in the same team at once, just a collection of absolute dross to shame the hibs jersey in recent years.

Correct. Imagine that lot playing together in the same team though FFS! :faf:

Boyle89
14-04-2014, 09:24 PM
John Rankin is Lewis Stevenson with an action man chin and a fake tan.

Mega lol

Albion Hibs
14-04-2014, 09:57 PM

Funny how this has become the managers fault. As the saying goes 'success has many fathers, failure is a barsteward'. Rankin like many got worse abuse from his own fans than he did they away fans, he exit was met with the usual cross of 'good riddance' and 'all the best...but glad he is gone'. The manager is not the common denominator.

H18Y GW
14-04-2014, 10:03 PM
They don't have a hardcore 2k tell them they are ***** at every touch..

Some of the shouts I hear are ludicrous , but that's for a new thread

H18Y GW
14-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Divis

Hart
Stephens
O'Hanlon
Kujabi

Soares
Thornhill
O'Donovan
O'Brien

Trakys
Agogo

I think they would beat the present team

Sir David Gray
14-04-2014, 10:46 PM

Divis

Hart
Stephens
O'Hanlon
Kujabi

Soares
Thornhill
O'Donovan
O'Brien

Trakys
Agogo

I think I'm about to throw up. :boo hoo:

That list of names will give me nightmares tonight.

I'm sure every Scottish team, outwith Celtic, could name a nightmare XI but I'm sure we could name several from the past few years alone.

How about;

Grof

Van Zanten
Gathuessi
Doherty
Zarabi

Done
de Graaf
Keenan
Morais

Airey
Kuqi

Perhaps not the most balanced team in the world but it brings back some horrific memories.

basehibby
14-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Liam Craig will be the new John Rankin.

Craig is a good player who happens to be playing badly right now. His confidence has been dented and in the end he will be hounded out of ER and his career will flourish elsewhere.

Watch this space.

:agree: I'm definately seeing this as well. At St J Craig was one of a decent midfield and did his bit - he was able to have the odd off day and when he chipped in with goals it would be appreciated. Right now at Hibs he's the skipper and the expectation has been ratcheted up. I wouldn't say he's hiding but think he's possibly trying too hard sometimes to do something special - leading to some questionable decision making.

BTW - Although I think we as fans have our part to play, the other elephant in the living room is definately playing in a better team! Playing with better players means playing on the front foot - receiving better passes and having better options to aim at - means being under less pressure and therefore making less mistakes. It therefore shouldn't be that surprising that Wotherspoon and Rankin look like they are enjoying themselves as key players in more balanced and settled sides in Dundee Utd and St Js.

The recurring problem at Hibs unfortunately is we are NOT seeing any significant improvement when players like these are replaced - far less we have often hopelessly failed to replace quality with quality, resulting in a generally downward spiral in the quality of football on view over the last seven years. This has got to stop somewhere and I'm hoping it stops now with the addition of some good quality players to add to the good players we do have at the club at the moment - which includes Craig IMO.

basehibby
14-04-2014, 11:17 PM

Ye gods:

A part time chairman

:thumbsup: Great post - you're right that our support has endured big steaming heaps of disappointment and are a credit on the whole. Also, ultimately it is up to the players to lift us...... but we can help them or harry them - it's a symbiotic relationship I think they call it :greengrin

Cameron1875
15-04-2014, 05:37 AM
Terrible footballer who isn't short of blowing his own trumpet. No surprise that he is chairman of PFA Scotland since it means he can get himself on BBC and Sky Sports more often.

Absolute fud.

Monktonhall 7
15-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Does anyone think that Rankin has played well against us since he left? He is obviously a fit professional with not much talent, and Utd get something out of him as they use him as a spoiler behind the midfield. Glad we got rid, but didn't help that we played him as a left sided midfielder where he was clearly out of his depth. Good luck to him though, but don't ever want to see him back with us.

blackpoolhibs
15-04-2014, 08:22 AM
I love the rewriting of history that goes on here. I believe we would have won the league if we'd only had a better centre half than Jim Black. :wink:

lord bunberry
15-04-2014, 08:28 AM

Funny how this has become the managers fault. As the saying goes 'success has many fathers, failure is a barsteward'. Rankin like many got worse abuse from his own fans than he did they away fans, he exit was met with the usual cross of 'good riddance' and 'all the best...but glad he is gone'. The manager is not the common denominator.

You're right the manager isn't the common denominator it's average players not performing to the best of their ability that's the common denominator.

Bronson
15-04-2014, 11:02 AM
I think I'm about to throw up. :boo hoo:

That list of names will give me nightmares tonight.

I'm sure every Scottish team, outwith Celtic, could name a nightmare XI but I'm sure we could name several from the past few years alone.

How about;

Grof

Van Zanten
Gathuessi
Doherty
Zarabi

Done
de Graaf
Keenan
Morais

Airey
Kuqi

Perhaps not the most balanced team in the world but it brings back some horrific memories.

Phil Airey, that's a belter! Completely forgot about him, did he ever play or just get punted straight back to Newcastle?

Pretty Boy
15-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Phil Airey, that's a belter! Completely forgot about him, did he ever play or just get punted straight back to Newcastle?

About 12 minutes away to Kilmarnock I think.

Went back south because he didn't like living so far from Newcastle.

Now playing for Whitley Bay. Another who only fulfiled his potential after leaving Hibs.

Don Giovanni
15-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't hate many people, hate's a very twisted and wasteful emotion. I'm emotionally twisted enough to hate Colin Calderwood though. An absolute twat of a man. I feel cheated in missing out seeing his pan if Norwich were relegated with him still there, hope they stay up now.

:agree:

I despise Calder****, the way he disrespected our club and how much damage his pathetic tenure has cost us.

Norwich are well rid.

greenlex
15-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Rankin is captain if Dundee Utd. Who'd have thunk it