PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon

jimmyboco1875
13-04-2014, 01:41 PM
We'll done lad, great performance

SuperAllyMcleod
13-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Yep, let's hope he can at least play in this years final.

Should be a good final and it would be nice to see a new winner if Saints can go on and lift the trophy.

emerald green
13-04-2014, 01:44 PM

Couldn't agree more. Delighted Spoonie will get to play in the final having been left out twice by Hibs. Unbelievable when I think about the dross who disgraced our club a couple of seasons back. Another good player wasted at ER.

leither17
13-04-2014, 01:45 PM
has not lost a scottish cup game he has been involved in 3 seasons, not bad

sleeping giant
13-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Well done Spoony :thumbsup:

green&left
13-04-2014, 01:47 PM
John Rankin and Spoony... Both deemed not good enough for Hibs, both given dogs abuse from the stands (more so Rankin), one of them will be going onto winning a Scottish cup winners medal.

Well done to them both.

TheFamous1875
13-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Couldn't agree more. Delighted Spoonie will get to play in the final having been left out twice by Hibs. Unbelievable when I think about the dross who disgraced our club a couple of seasons back. Another good player wasted at ER.

By all reports he's adjusted really well to St Johnstone - he's another player that suffered from the club and I'm glad he's now getting the performances and the opportunities to develop his game. I certainly would've had him in my squad before some of the frauds 'representing' us that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

emerald green
13-04-2014, 01:50 PM
By all reports he's adjusted really well to St Johnstone - he's another player that suffered from the club and I'm glad he's now getting the performances and the opportunities to develop his game. I certainly would've had him in my squad before some of the frauds 'representing' us that day.

Too right mate. I'll never forgive those imposters that day.

Golden Bear
13-04-2014, 01:59 PM
John Rankin and Spoony... Both deemed not good enough for Hibs, both given dogs abuse from the stands (more so Rankin), one of them will be going onto winning a Scottish cup winners medal.

Well done to them both.

Couldn't agree more. Self confidence is everything and it was knocked out of them at ER.

Greenblood70
13-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Always seemed like a really good lad Spoony, so chuffed for him. Seemed to be a bit of a scapegoat at times at ER and looked like his confidence took a battering. Think it was best for all parties he got a move and it seems to have worked out for him so fair play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dp00
13-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Must be the first player to reach the final 3 seasons in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

givescotlandfreedom
13-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Well done Spoony. Nice guy and always have us 100%. Kindly let big zal get a goal at ER too.

Michael
13-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Played a big part after coming on in the 2012 semi against Aberdeen too.

Hopefully he'll be available for the final.

Nailrod
13-04-2014, 02:05 PM

Well done to them both.Cregg with Saints as well.

patch1875
13-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Cregg with Saints as well.

And Clancy

Bronson
13-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Really want St Johnstone to win the cup, well run club and delighted they knocked out the sheep today.

Well done St Johnstone, and well done Spoony!:thumbsup:

Northernhibee
13-04-2014, 03:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTRu95uXvU

One Day
13-04-2014, 03:21 PM

If ever a player deserved to play in a final its him.

Hibs7
13-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Couldn't agree more. Delighted Spoonie will get to play in the final having been left out twice by FENLON. Unbelievable when I think about the dross who disgraced our club a couple of seasons back. Another good player wasted at ER.

Corrected that for you :-))

fat freddy
13-04-2014, 03:25 PM
I thought we had given away the family silver when we let spoony leave Easter Rd. and it's been bittersweet watching him playing well for St Johnstone this season. As others have said, the players that we allow to leave often go on to better things, the likes of Rankin, Spoony and Booth have improved after leaving Easter Rd. while the players we bring in such as Liam Craig, Owain Tudur Jones and James Collins appear to lose whatever qualities they had that persuaded us to offer them contracts in the first place. :confused:

TheFamous1875
13-04-2014, 03:33 PM
I thought we had given away the family silver when we let spoony leave Easter Rd. and it's been bittersweet watching him playing well for St Johnstone this season. As others have said, the players that we allow to leave often go on to better things, the likes of Rankin, Spoony and Booth have improved after leaving Easter Rd. while the players we bring in such as Liam Craig, Owain Tudur Jones and James Collins appear to lose whatever qualities they had that persuaded us to offer them contracts in the first place. :confused:

It's not about players, it's about teams. All these players have been misplayed (sans OTJ) by their managers in unevenly balanced teams. It's a simple as that. Players like Wotherspoon, Craig and Booth need licence to go and express themselves and in order to do that you need a team set up properly for it with teammates (Rankin, OTJ) capable of enabling these type of players to create and express.

hibees 7062
13-04-2014, 03:52 PM

Well done to them both.

One as captain

Bostonhibby
13-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Yep, not fenlon class but at least Vine came the other way.

emerald green
13-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Corrected that for you :-))

Agreed. Fair comment, my mistake. :agree:

Jonnyboy
13-04-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm delighted for Spoony and hope he makers the starting eleven against United.

clerriehibs
13-04-2014, 06:57 PM

Not so sure it was the club or the managers that had a negative effect on Spoony, if indeed there was sufficient negative effect to justify letting him go. The biggest problem is the world cup managers in the stands giving our players an unnecessarily hard time of it. It's disgusting at times, and we've rarely had a guy who hasn't got it in the neck.

theonlywayisup
13-04-2014, 07:23 PM

Crazy to think that Fenlon chose Soares, Francomb and Doherty over Spoony. Players that had no future at Hibs, instead it was a slap in the face for one of our youngsters.

eastterrace
13-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Crazy to think that Fenlon chose Soares, Francomb and Doherty over Spoony. Players that had no future at Hibs, instead it was a slap in the face for one of our youngsters.

really pleased for him , he deserves to play in a final after what fenlon done to him which was a disgrace not to be even in the squad

Tyler Durden
13-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Not so sure it was the club or the managers that had a negative effect on Spoony, if indeed there was sufficient negative effect to justify letting him go. The biggest problem is the world cup managers in the stands giving our players an unnecessarily hard time of it. It's disgusting at times, and we've rarely had a guy who hasn't got it in the neck.

And yet Wotherspoon is widely quoted today saying he did not feel valued by Fenlon. Given mixed messages on the reasons he was left out of the cup final squads and generally the lack of communication by the manager was a problem. He suggests several players felt the same. And he talks about how much confidence Tommy Wright has instilled in him with praise and a quiet word at the right time.

No mention of negative impact caused by fans.

clerriehibs
13-04-2014, 08:03 PM
And yet Wotherspoon is widely quoted today saying he did not feel valued by Fenlon. Given mixed messages on the reasons he was left out of the cup final squads and generally the lack of communication by the manager was a problem. He suggests several players felt the same. And he talks about how much confidence Tommy Wright has instilled in him with praise and a quiet word at the right time.

No mention of negative impact caused by fans.

Must've imagined the drivel I read on here when he was with us, and the *****load of abuse that could rain down on him on matchdays.

Tyler Durden
13-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Must've imagined the drivel I read on here when he was with us, and the *****load of abuse that could rain down on him on matchdays.

I doubt you did. However you did say these fans were our biggest problem. I would argue our problem has been a succession of useless managers. Funny how our terrible fans weren't a problem when we had a good team.

I'm sure Wotherspoon takes plenty of abuse from St Johnstone fans when he plays poorly for them.

Paisley Hibby
13-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Well done to them both.

This :aok:

You'd like to think we'd learn something from that in how we treat current players. However, given the abuse being dished out to McGivern and Collins I'm not holding my breath.

Pretty Boy
13-04-2014, 09:00 PM
The idea that the Hibs support 'ruined' Wotherspoon is a total myth.

He came into the team and done well, he was mucked about by Yogi, played out of position etc and his form dipped badly. For a long time the fans were very patient with him because he was a young lad, when he had a decent spell at the start of last seasob I clearly remember him getting standing ovations on at least 3 or 4 occasions. Yes, there was absuse from some but it was a few idiots, there wasn't 10 000 fans baying for his blood every week. The simple fact is Wotherspoon wasn't playing well and wasn't looking like improving so a move was best for both parties. I know a couple of St J fans and they describe him as ' inconsistent' and 'frustrating'.

I liked DW when he was at Hibs, and I wish him well in the SC final, but the idea he is somehow the answer to our problems puzzles me somewhat. He was pretty average for the vast majority of his time at Hibs.

There is some Hibs supporters who seem to have a real self loathing. Players/managers play/do badly, they get a bit grief, they start playing/doing well, they'll get praised. Look at Brendan Rogers, last season plenty Liverpool fans wanted him sacked, now he is 4 games from being a genuine legend. That's football.

IWasThere2016
13-04-2014, 09:03 PM

He came into the team and done well, he was mucked about by Yogi, played out of position etc and his form dipped badly. For a long time the fans were very patient with him because he was a young lad, when he had a decent spell at the start of last seasob I clearly remember him getting standing ovations on at least 3 or 4 occasions. Yes, there was absuse from some but it was a few idiots, there wasn't 10 000 fans baying for his blood every week. The simple fact is Wotherspoon wasn't playing well and wasn't looking like improving so a move was best for both parties. I know a couple of St J fans and they describe him as ' inconsistent' and 'frustrating'.

I liked DW when he was at Hibs, and I wish him well in the SC final, but the idea he is somehow the answer to our problems puzzles me somewhat. He was pretty average for the vast majority of his time at Hibs.

This.

B.H.F.C
13-04-2014, 09:09 PM

Totally agree. I keep reading how well he's doing yet read this morning that he's scored one goal all season for them. They have been largely carried by May's goals this year as we were with Griffiths last year.

Would we be better off if we still had him? Absolutely not IMO.

Jonnyboy
13-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Totally agree. I keep reading how well he's doing yet read this morning that he's scored one goal all season for them. They have been largely carried by May's goals this year as we were with Griffiths last year.

Would we be better off if we still had him? Absolutely not IMO.

Not sure anyone is suggesting that. Simply wishing him well for the final :aok:

LancsHibs
13-04-2014, 10:57 PM
We'll done to both Wotherspoon & Rankin, would take either or both back right now.

--------
13-04-2014, 11:40 PM
We'll done to both Wotherspoon & Rankin, would take either or both back right now.

And one or other of them is gonnae get his hands on the trophy that no Hibs player has got his hands on for how long? 113 years?

And do it with a club no bigger or richer than Hibs. Rather the opposite in fact.

My, that cheers me up no end. :brickwall

Bay Area Hibees
14-04-2014, 02:16 AM

Agree 100% clerrie

EdinMike
14-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Must be the first player to reach the final 3 seasons in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nada, I'm sure Vale of Leven or old Rankers were in it 3 or 4 years on the trot back in 18XX not sure if a player(s) were in the team all that time, however you can assume, but in modern times, I guess so !

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-04-2014, 04:15 AM
Well done Spoony:thumbsup:

HH81
14-04-2014, 04:57 AM

There is some Hibs supporters who seem to have a real self loathing. Players/managers play/do badly, they get a bit grief, they start playing/doing well, they'll get praised. Look at Brendan Rogers, last season plenty Liverpool fans wanted him sacked, now he is 4 games from being a genuine legend. That's football.

The best post so far. The reason he is no longer at hibs is, he was average. Simple.

MWHIBBIES
14-04-2014, 05:07 AM
We'll done to both Wotherspoon & Rankin, would take either or both back right now.Says more about us than them IMO, especially in Rankins case

Hibercelona
14-04-2014, 05:44 AM
The best post so far. The reason he is no longer at hibs is, he was average. Simple.

Aren't players generally average/below average when they're here these days? And somewhat better elsewhere?

Wotherspoon was a good player for us. He just had so much garbage playing around him, that he wasn't able to play as openly as he does for St Johnstone.

Beefster
14-04-2014, 05:57 AM

Good post, PB.

Wotherspoon was, in the main, mince for us and, by all accounts, isn't playing that well for St Johnstone.

The tendency on here to blame the supporters for everything is becoming ridiculous. It's fine to wish Wotherspoon well but the number of posters who seem to do it and want him to to 'show Hibs' says a lot.

PeeJay
14-04-2014, 06:59 AM

Can't quite agree that it as simple as you suggest - Wotherspoon was/is a great talent and he should have been developed further at our club (as can be said for several others) - the fact that that didn't happen may well lie in part with the player, but it happens on such a regular basis, in particular, with our young players that I think the club itself has failed the players: we should be achieving more with our young, promising talent and we should be helping the so-called "journeymen" into becoming better players: none of that is happening at Easter Road - to believe that that is all the players fault is surely naive in the extreme?

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Aren't players generally average/below average when they're here these days? And somewhat better elsewhere?

Wotherspoon was a good player for us. He just had so much garbage playing around him, that he wasn't able to play as openly as he does for St Johnstone.

Up there with the usual garbage you spout. Wotherspoon needed better players around him to sparkle i hear you say, would that not be the case for every player?

If Wotherspoon was better, do you think the others might have performed a tad better too?

He came into the side, showed a little promise but eventually did not improve enough to warrant a place in a poor Hibs team. He's moved on and by all accounts is doing exactly the same in Perth, one decent game and then a few poor to average ones.

The clamour to get players like this back is astounding, and the reason we are where we are. I'd much prefer it if we brought players like whittaker, Murphy a fit Boozy. Scott Brown Chris Killen Anthony Stokes, FFS those were the quality players that made similar players like John Rankin and David Wotherspoon look much better than they ever would or could be.

HH81
14-04-2014, 08:15 AM

Rubbish. He is just not very good. One good game is 15 games is not good enough.

HH81
14-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Can't quite agree that it as simple as you suggest - Wotherspoon was/is a great talent and he should have been developed further at our club (as can be said for several others) - the fact that that didn't happen may well lie in part with the player, but it happens on such a regular basis, in particular, with our young players that I think the club itself has failed the players: we should be achieving more with our young, promising talent and we should be helping the so-called "journeymen" into becoming better players: none of that is happening at Easter Road - to believe that that is all the players fault is surely naive in the extreme?

The players are there to play football. If they play bad then they are out the team. Age doesnt matter to me. I only get up to a few games season and watch some on the tv but from the ones i saw he was not great and the decison to see him leave was a good one at the time.

I am going to guess not and say i very much doubt he has been unplayable at any time this season either.

SlickShoes
14-04-2014, 08:20 AM

What a load of complete tripe.

For every fan that thinks he's *****, there will be one that thinks he is fantastic. If any player wants to be above crticism from random punters then they shouldn't be playing football.

If you hate hibs fans so much then why are you still here? take a walk down to tynecastle your self loathing will fit in well.

SlickShoes
14-04-2014, 08:23 AM

That's another myth, most players when they leave hibs spiral down the leagues never to be seen again.

Have a look at the wiki pages of some folk that have played for us in recent years, many are now in non league football.

emerald green
14-04-2014, 03:11 PM

If Wotherspoon is/was average, what does that make some of those imposters who shamed our club a couple of seasons back in the cup final? Pujabi, Soares, Doherty, to name a few. Yet, Fenlon picked them ahead of Wotherspoon! It just doesn't make any sense to me. Furthermore, the way John Rankin was treated by Calderwood was extremely poor too.

HH81
14-04-2014, 06:06 PM
If Wotherspoon is/was average, what does that make some of those imposters who shamed our club a couple of seasons back in the cup final? Pujabi, Soares, Doherty, to name a few. Yet, Fenlon picked them ahead of Wotherspoon! It just doesn't make any sense to me. Furthermore, the way John Rankin was treated by Calderwood was extremely poor too.

They were poor too :confused:

Wotherspoon was just as bad.

Rankin would walk in the team DW would not.

Northernhibee
14-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Wotherspoon was good. Could score, could assist.

Sanger
14-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Agree. A lot of the Malaise at the club is not on the pitch or directors box or in the dugout but in the stands.

marinello59
14-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Agree. A lot of the Malaise at the club is not on the pitch or directors box or in the dugout but in the stands.

Complete and utter bollox.

emerald green
14-04-2014, 08:03 PM
They were poor too :confused:

Wotherspoon was just as bad.

Rankin would walk in the team DW would not.

Na sorry, we're going to have to agree to disagree on your point that Wotherspoon was just as bad as those three I mentioned in my earlier post. They were an absolute disgrace. I'm not saying DW is/was a brilliant footballer, but he is better than them in every way.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2014, 08:03 PM

Is this about to be another one of these statements that if repeated often enough on here becomes a .net FACT?

For the record, I think its bollocks!

emerald green
14-04-2014, 08:04 PM

:agree: :top marks

Sanger
14-04-2014, 08:10 PM

How can you explain managers and players that are welcomed with open arms and a financially sound club with excellent playing and training facilities continually under-perform? The negativity and hostility from the stands - not everyone - undermines all our positives and makes the team frightened to perform. It is the resultant fear of failure rather daring to go for success which is like a spreading cancer at Hibs. We need positivity and support for the team., management and owners to take Hibs forward. The atmosphere apart from section 43 has been vile for years.

marinello59
14-04-2014, 08:13 PM
How can you explain managers and players that are welcomed with open arms and a financially sound club with excellent playing and training facilities continually under-perform? The negativity and hostility from the stands - not everyone - undermines all our positives and makes the team frightened to perform. It is the resultant fear of failure rather daring to go for success which is like a spreading cancer at Hibs. We need positivity and support for the team., management and owners to take Hibs forward. The atmosphere apart from section 43 has been vile for years.

Vile?
Again....complete and utter bollox.

Jonnyboy
14-04-2014, 08:16 PM

Nonsense.

Back on track, it's a shame folk can't enter into the spirit about wishing Spoony well without having a pop at the laddie

clerriehibs
14-04-2014, 08:16 PM
What a load of complete tripe.

For every fan that thinks he's *****, there will be one that thinks he is fantastic. If any player wants to be above crticism from random punters then they shouldn't be playing football.

If you hate hibs fans so much then why are you still here? take a walk down to tynecastle your self loathing will fit in well.

I hate Hibs fans who're nothing but negative at the games. Maybe that's you. Get yourself down to section N, you'll fit like a glove, they do poison from the stands very well.

cabbageandribs1875
14-04-2014, 08:18 PM

a gross exaggeration, stop it please :rolleyes:

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Imagine how many goals Griffiths might have ended up with if it wasnae for us pesky fans!

Alfred E Newman
14-04-2014, 08:55 PM

So it's 's all the fans fault. What a load of nonsense.

clerriehibs
14-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Imagine how many goals Griffiths might have ended up with if it wasnae for us pesky fans!

and remember griffiths needing to have the balls to give the pesky fans a girfuy on more than one occasion.

FranckSuzy
15-04-2014, 12:35 PM

Your incoherent ramblings on the Yams thread are bad enough and now this. Have a word with yourself.

SlickShoes
15-04-2014, 12:59 PM
I hate Hibs fans who're nothing but negative at the games. Maybe that's you. Get yourself down to section N, you'll fit like a glove, they do poison from the stands very well.

I am very negative on the forums but never boo my own team at the games, thanks for assuming I am one of them though.

There are plenty of spare seats so you could easily move away from the poison?

Just saw Wotherspoon at St J's training and the smile on his face really made think his time at hibs has scarred him for life, glad you are all looking after the poor man.

Mikey09
15-04-2014, 01:13 PM

Wot?? Blame the fans?? But they pay there money clerrie so are entitled to shout whatever they want?! They pay the players wages so can say what they like!! Its there right dont you know?? :wink:

Pretty Boy
15-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Wot?? Blame the fans?? But they pay there money clerrie so are entitled to shout whatever they want?! They pay the players wages so can say what they like!! Its there right dont you know?? :wink:

What. Their. Don't.

clerriehibs
15-04-2014, 02:20 PM
I am very negative on the forums but never boo my own team at the games, thanks for assuming I am one of them though.

There are plenty of spare seats so you could easily move away from the poison?

Just saw Wotherspoon at St J's training and the smile on his face really made think his time at hibs has scarred him for life, glad you are all looking after the poor man.

Ah; move away from the problem rather than highlight the problem. Brilliant.

Mikey09
15-04-2014, 03:31 PM
What. Their. Don't.

Sorry... Will try not to be so lazy. But I will never get the whole there/their thing right!!!

SlickShoes
15-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Ah; move away from the problem rather than highlight the problem. Brilliant.

If you move away from it you will stop it spreading, you can still highlight the problem too like you are doing now, are you sitting in section N right now? is that only place you can sit when working to combat the moaners?

Wotherspiniesta
15-04-2014, 06:00 PM

Would have been at least four less if Wotherspoon wasn't playing aswell. :wink:

You just knew this thread would break down into a debate about how good/bad he was/is.

Shame we can't just wish him well for the biggest game of his life. He never said a bad word about Hibs, came through our academy, always gave his best and gave us a few memorable moments.

Good luck, D. Hope your new manager see's your worth and pitches you in the starting XI and you can bring the cup to your home town :aok:

Jonnyboy
15-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Would have been at least four less if Wotherspoon wasn't playing aswell. :wink:

You just knew this thread would break down into a debate about how good/bad he was/is.

Shame we can't just wish him well for the biggest game of his life. He never said a bad word about Hibs, came through our academy, always gave his best and gave us a few memorable moments.

Good luck, D. Hope your new manager see's your worth and pitches you in the starting XI and you can bring the cup to your home town :aok:

This :agree:

R'Albin
15-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Sorry... Will try not to be so lazy. But I will never get the whole there/their thing right!!!

It's fine, there hard to remember. :agree:

basehibby
15-04-2014, 10:25 PM
I doubt you did. However you did say these fans were our biggest problem. I would argue our problem has been a succession of useless managers. Funny how our terrible fans weren't a problem when we had a good team.

I'm sure Wotherspoon takes plenty of abuse from St Johnstone fans when he plays poorly for them.

Yes they flippin well were! As long as I can remember we've had a section of dick heads who seem to make it their mission to undermine the confidence of their latest scapegoat. Come rain or shine there's always been some who can't contain themselves - and lets not beat about the bush these people are by and large idiots who's brains are significantly outsized by their tonsils.

BTW I'm sure every team must have some specimens like this but it doesn't mean they should be encouraged.