PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Scougall

Paperboy
12-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere but I was reading an interview with Sheffield United winger Stefan Scougall. In it the article mentions he was freed by Hibs at the age of 16 for being too small but later in the interview he says he doesn't want to talk about Hibs letting him go.

anyone wonder what happened to him? And what is the size criteria for players who are 16?

Just wondering!

Bishop Hibee
12-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Interesting. I heard from someone whose going down to Wembley on a bus with Scougall's friends and relatives that it was Hearts who released him. Guy who told me is a Jambo.

eggbamyasi
12-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Think there as a thread about it a few months ago . Sure it was hibs that let him go .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Interesting. I heard from someone whose going down to Wembley on a bus with Scougall's friends and relatives that it was Hearts who released him. Guy who told me is a Jambo.

He was released by us unfortunately. Looks like a big mistake now!

Golden Bear
12-04-2014, 06:28 PM
He was released by us unfortunately. Looks like a big mistake now!

A la Gordon Strachan?

Viva_Palmeiras
12-04-2014, 06:33 PM
The Decca boy that rejected the Beatles tho was right - what a bag of doo-doo they were. (I much prefer the Stones ;)

Bishop Hibee
12-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Every club will have players they rejected as youngsters who made it elsewhere.

Scougall is on the bench at a League 1 club. He's still to prove himself.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-04-2014, 07:00 PM

He starts most games and has scored twice. Still got a lot to prove but he isn't warming the bench down there.

Joe6-2
12-04-2014, 07:52 PM
The Decca boy that rejected the Beatles tho was right - what a bag of doo-doo they were. (I much prefer the Stones ;)

Love this post, always said that

hfc rd
12-04-2014, 09:37 PM
He starts most games and has scored twice. Still got a lot to prove but he isn't warming the bench down there.

Agree. He's done well down there but still a long way to go.

Mate at work who is a Sheffield Utd season ticket holder has been raving about Stefan Scougall. Was stunned when I told him he was released by Hibs at the age of 16 for being too small. Scougall would easily walk straight into our first team.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Agree. He's done well down there but still a long way to go.

Mate at work who is a Sheffield Utd season ticket holder has been raving about Stefan Scougall. Was stunned when I told him he was released by Hibs at the age of 16 for being too small. Scougall would easily walk straight into our first team.

:agree: Surprised he didn't get a move sooner tbh.

MWHIBBIES
12-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Scougall is on the bench at a League 1 club. He's still to prove himself.Hardly. Also Sheffield United are a huge club to be playing for at that young age, certainly a step up from anything in Scotland other than Celtic.

Johnny_Leith
13-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Who's to say that getting released by Hibs wasn't the best thing that's ever happened to him, giving him the drive and determination to make something of himself? No guarantee if he stayed at Hibs he'd have made it.

bingo70
13-04-2014, 07:40 AM
I dont believe he was released for being too small. It will be because we didnt think he was good enough to compensate for his lack of height/strength.

If we had messi on our books we wouldnt have released him because of his size so to suggest thats the only factor isnt the case imo

One Day
13-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Every club will have players they rejected as youngsters who made it elsewhere

It happens often, but probably not as often as players being given contacts then being released and never heard of again.

gegs70
13-04-2014, 10:17 AM
A decent player perhaps helped by getting first team games at live rather than in hibs reserves?

Stantons Angel
13-04-2014, 10:34 AM

Personal tastes in music differ just as in choice of the football team we support, i suppose.

Me i preferred the Beatles myself but loved the Stones music too!

anyway this is a football forum and we are talking about a lad getting released from Hibs at 16. This happens a lot to youngsters but as another poster says. Sometimes it gives them the determination to go else where and prove them wrong.

Gordon Strachan and Keith Wright were let go by Hibs not because they were to wee though.

Mickey Weir was ready to give up football at a young age as he kept getting told he was too wee. Luckily for us he was persuaded to get back out on the field and let his ability speak for itself.

Its hard on these kids being told they are not good enough for a club sometimes it makes or breaks them.

lucky
13-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Hibs are still releasing youngsters based on size. Seems crazy to me. But we've had threads on here about we are a team of midgets in the past

Viva_Palmeiras
13-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Personal tastes in music differ just as in choice of the football team we support, i suppose.

anyway this is a football forum and we are talking about a lad getting released from Hibs at 16. This happens a lot to youngsters but as another poster says. Sometimes it gives them the determination to go else where and prove them wrong.

Gordon Strachan and Keith Wright were let go by Hibs not because they were to wee though.

Mickey Weir was ready to give up football at a young age as he kept getting told he was too wee. Luckily for us he was persuaded to get back out on the field and let his ability speak for itself.

Its hard on these kids being told they are not good enough for a club sometimes it makes or breaks them.

Presumably drawing analogies is allowed? Please note my use of smiley ;) My point speaks for itself tho. Regardless of the industry folks that influence the careers of others have preferences which may or may not appreciate the skills/potential of others. What would be interesting to know is if the dude acknowledge he made a mistake ("I made a call based on what I knew/saw at the time" I'd imagine). So why should football be any different?

Billychaotic182
13-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Tbh him and Sean Welsh are the only two hibs youngsters I can think of that were let go and have went on to do something.

Winston Ingram
13-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere but I was reading an interview with Sheffield United winger Stefan Scougall. In it the article mentions he was freed by Hibs at the age of 16 for being too small but later in the interview he says he doesn't want to talk about Hibs letting him go.

anyone wonder what happened to him? And what is the size criteria for players who are 16?

Just wondering!

He wasn't released cos he was small. You just need to look at our youth teams and the height of some of the players in it to realise that's p!sh. I'd suggest it was down to something else completely.

The Falcon
13-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Tbh him and Sean Welsh are the only two hibs youngsters I can think of that were let go and have went on to do something.

or even do anything at a reasonable level.

The trick is recognising their potential before we release them for whatever reason. The proportion of players released to those that we do release and come back to bite us is minimal. Given the amount of folk that go through the system, and not just here, it is bound to happen. Some you win, some you don't.

The_Horde
13-04-2014, 11:39 AM

Sparky ;)

NOLA
13-04-2014, 11:51 AM

Leigh griffiths ;)

Billychaotic182
13-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah forgot leigh was a hibs youth player. Always thought he was a livi youth. Was Ian Black one of our youth players as well?

scoopyboy
13-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Oh yeah forgot leigh was a hibs youth player. Always thought he was a livi youth. Was Ian Black one of our youth players as well?

No, Black went straight from Ross High School to Blackburn Rovers.

JimBHibees
13-04-2014, 03:38 PM

Gordon Strachan and John Robertson. :rolleyes::greengrin

Billychaotic182
13-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Gordon Strachan and John Robertson. :rolleyes::greengrin

They were before my time.

fat freddy
13-04-2014, 03:44 PM

I blame the housekeepers that look after these lads when they're in club digs...if they fed them properly they wouldn't be so small and Hibs wouldn't have to release them :wink:

CapitalGreen
13-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Kirk Broadfoot and most likely Marc McNulty as well.

Hibs90
13-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Scougall scores in the FA Cup Semi...

leither17
13-04-2014, 03:51 PM

:cb

Stantons Angel
13-04-2014, 03:52 PM
I blame the housekeepers that look after these lads when they're in club digs...if they fed them properly they wouldn't be so small and Hibs wouldn't have to release them :wink:

FYI: the "hoosekeepers only fed them when they got paid! ha ha.

Pretty Boy
13-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Goooooooal.

Betty Boop
13-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Scougall has been outstanding.

Pretty Boy
13-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Which Hibs manager let him go?

Sir David Gray
13-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Which Hibs manager let him go?

It was in the summer of 2009 so it was probably John Hughes.

ancient hibee
13-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Neither Strachan or Robertson were ever on Hibs books.

Scònaldò
13-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Neither Strachan or Robertson were ever on Hibs books.

RE: Strachan.

He was offered a contract by Hibernian manager Eddie Turnbull, but his father decided against the offer after stating the club did not pay sufficient expenses for footwear.

Source: Wikipedia

ekhibee
13-04-2014, 05:43 PM
RE: Strachan.

He was offered a contract by Hibernian manager Eddie Turnbull, but his father decided against the offer after stating the club did not pay sufficient expenses for footwear.

Source: Wikipedia
Yup. Strachan's father and Eddie Turnbull fell out over boot money which was why he ended up signing for Dundee. That's Strachan's own words. He used to get lifted over the turnstiles at ER when he was a wee nipper, and went to the Hibs games after he'd finished his milk round too.

ancient hibee
14-04-2014, 04:00 PM
And Robertson wanted to take his contract home to let his brother see it so that was that.

hibs supporter
14-04-2014, 04:33 PM
didn't the same happen with danny swanson

Brads Laing
14-04-2014, 04:54 PM

Was 2 years below Stef at school and have a lot of friends who knew him well, definitely released from Hibs due to size and is a Rangers fan, still shocks me as much as it did back then that they let him go.

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Was 2 years below Stef at school and have a lot of friends who knew him well, definitely released from Hibs due to size and is a Rangers fan, still shocks me as much as it did back then that they let him go.

But you are only a fan, and as you know their views are crap.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2014, 06:22 PM
He wasn't released cos he was small. You just need to look at our youth teams and the height of some of the players in it to realise that's p!sh. I'd suggest it was down to something else completely.

Surprised the fans havnae been given the blame yet.

leither17
14-04-2014, 06:33 PM
didn't the same happen with danny swanson

Yeah he was proper young though maybe 13-14

DH1875
15-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Hardly. Also Sheffield United are a huge club to be playing for at that young age, certainly a step up from anything in Scotland other than Celtic.

Wouldn't say they were a huge club at all. Back in the days they were maybe a big club but they've done nothing for years and play in the 3rd tier of english football. Us, the yams and the sheep all have the potential to be as big as them if we played in the english leagues.

Bayern Bru
15-04-2014, 08:30 AM
We dismissed Fraser Forster in his mid-teens because, as a latecomer to football the club didn't think he could reach the required levels! :rolleyes:

hfc-1875
16-04-2014, 10:59 AM

Yes he was