PDA

View Full Version : Massive Summer

cameronw-hfc
11-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Another massive task for a hibs manager in the summer, however I'm not sure if a clear out is whats needed, we've had so many recently, I think we should get 3/4 quality players, and a few average cover players in, and use youth/decent players we already have to fill up the rest, similar to Aberdeen.

Williams/New keeper if Williams goes

Black+spl quality right back to cover for black in case of injury or dip in form
Forster/Hanlon
Strong comanding Center back, no nonsense player.
Baptie+spl quality left back to cover for Baptie in case of injury or dip in form

Taiwo/Stevenson/New cdm

Harris
Stanton/Craig
Decent Winger

Collins
New Striker that can score and create, eg. someone like Adam Rooney or Ciftci

3/4 Quality players and fill the rest in with youth/proven spl players is what I think we should try, it worked for Aberdeen, and we've had too many clearouts recently. I will trust Butcher in whatever he does though, just a little bit worried about another clear out as that's becoming the norm.

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Huge summer .8 or 9 new players imo and we will most likely never have heard of them and to be honest , that's fine with me.
I'm excited. Going to be a different Hibs next season.

cameronw-hfc
11-04-2014, 10:46 PM
If Butcher wants a clear out, I will support him, as he needs next season before I judge him, but I'm just not sure if right the right way to go

Thecat23
11-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Huge summer .8 or 9 new players imo and we will most likely never have heard of them and to be honest , that's fine with me.
I'm excited. Going to be a different Hibs next season.

9 players coming and one already agreed is Brill the ICT keeper. Source is an agent and an ICT player. Apparently Murdoch knows this and isn't to pleased.

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 10:50 PM
9 players coming and one already agreed is Brill the ICT keeper. Source is an agent and an ICT player. Apparently Murdoch knows this and isn't to pleased.

Liked the look of Murdoch. He will need to man up though and fight it out with Brill for the jersey. We will need two decent keepers. Preferably playing at the same time :greengrin

Saturdays Hero
11-04-2014, 11:30 PM

Are we paying a fee for Brill ?? Tbh I've not heard much of him,I'm not a big fan of Williams so ain't to bother if he goes,he's decent but nothing special.

EdinMike
11-04-2014, 11:54 PM

I've heard this floating about as well, can't say I've seen too much of Brill. Can anyone summarise ?

GreenLake
12-04-2014, 12:04 AM

I hope at least 2 of these on a different level than the players we have now. Sauzee and Latapy levels.

HKhibby
12-04-2014, 12:17 AM
If Butcher wants a clear out, I will support him, as he needs next season before I judge him, but I'm just not sure if right the right way to go

Totally agree with you here, stanton & stevenson & possibly Harris are about the only ones i would keep.....the rest of them are dire!
Lets hope Butcher can get the money for the signings we need, more to the point if Petrie will sanction them!
im with the mindset lets wait u til next season at this time to judge him & his signings (if many)
There is no good in shouting for his head or at the end of this season, but you would have thought that when a new manager came in he would have possible got a bit more out of the players we have already.

eggbamyasi
12-04-2014, 02:24 AM

Sounds good if true . We make safe this season and bring on next season :-D:-D:-D . I think from what I seen on tv and the games at ER against caley brill is good keeper made some cracking saves and always seems to be in command of area shouting etc .would be well happy if we got him . Love us to get mclean from st mirren and naismith too but not sure how likely they are . Seen a player yaqub at st mirren under 20s looks really good prospect RB and LB mabey nick him .
ross from caley would be nice .
GGTTH

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

hibbydog
12-04-2014, 06:05 AM
We definitely need massive change, but Clear outs where we have brought in 7,8 or 9 mediocre players in a close season haven't worked. Perhaps it's time we changed our approach and went for 3-4 top quality players on higher wages then fill the gaps with youngsters?

It'd leave an awfy lot of gaps but we have these clear outs almost every summer and it just seems that we bring in more of the same. I'm fed up with players who are 'honest tryers' but have no skill or technique. Too many in our squad to name...

Would be nice to see another couple of sauzee/ latapy types to build the team around. Or even a zemmama given budgetary constraints.

In rod Petrie terms.....'shirt sellers' !!

Aldo
12-04-2014, 06:11 AM
We definitely need massive change, but Clear outs where we have brought in 7,8 or 9 mediocre players in a close season haven't worked. Perhaps it's time we changed our approach and went for 3-4 top quality players on higher wages then fill the gaps with youngsters? It'd leave an awfy lot of gaps but we have these clear outs almost every summer and it just seems that we bring in more of the same. I'm fed up with players who are 'honest tryers' but have no skill or technique. Too many in our squad to name... Would be nice to see another couple of sauzee/ latapy types to build the team around. Or even a zemmama given budgetary constraints. In rod Petrie terms.....'shirt sellers' !!

I agree to an extent but the only issues would be when injuries and suspensions hit in. That is too risky for me.
I can see loads leaving after the last game with 8 or so coming in.

Like others have alluded I believe there will be some unheard of players and if they are in the mould of Mackay, Draper and Vincent at ICT then we are looking at a half decent summer.

Thecat23
12-04-2014, 06:41 AM
Are we paying a fee for Brill ?? Tbh I've not heard much of him,I'm not a big fan of Williams so ain't to bother if he goes,he's decent but nothing special.

I'm not 100% sure what the deal is mate. All I know is he's told a few of the ICT boys he's heading here in the summer. I think we may see 2 players from ICT arrive.

Also heard Terry wants to scout lower leagues like Dundee Utd have done for raw talent as well as down south.

andy1875
12-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Just had a quick look on bbc and Brill signed a contract with ICT until 2016 so I'd imagine a fee must be involved if true.

Ronniekirk
12-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Just had a quick look on bbc and Brill signed a contract with ICT until 2016 so I'd imagine a fee must be involved if true.
Just don't see us having money to buy players out of contracts with two years to run to be honest .

The Sea-gull
12-04-2014, 07:07 AM
I'm not 100% sure what the deal is mate. All I know is he's told a few of the ICT boys he's heading here in the summer. I think we may see 2 players from ICT arrive.

Also heard Terry wants to scout lower leagues like Dundee Utd have done for raw talent as well as down south.
Do you know who the other ICT player is? I like the look of Doran and also Nick Ross. Think the latter is out of favour under yogi.

Aldo
12-04-2014, 07:10 AM
I'm not 100% sure what the deal is mate. All I know is he's told a few of the ICT boys he's heading here in the summer. I think we may see 2 players from ICT arrive. Also heard Terry wants to scout lower leagues like Dundee Utd have done for raw talent as well as down south.

I think you may be right regarding the possibility of 2 ICT players TC.

Aldo
12-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Just don't see us having money to buy players out of contracts with two years to run to be honest .

Ronnie could be a swap for players etc. who knows mate

The Sea-gull
12-04-2014, 07:13 AM
We definitely need massive change, but Clear outs where we have brought in 7,8 or 9 mediocre players in a close season haven't worked. Perhaps it's time we changed our approach and went for 3-4 top quality players on higher wages then fill the gaps with youngsters?

It'd leave an awfy lot of gaps but we have these clear outs almost every summer and it just seems that we bring in more of the same. I'm fed up with players who are 'honest tryers' but have no skill or technique. Too many in our squad to name...

Would be nice to see another couple of sauzee/ latapy types to build the team around. Or even a zemmama given budgetary constraints.

When have we ever signed 7, 8 or 9 players in the one close season? We may have done but I am thinking we usually get 5 or 6 max. This year I think we need about 7 for the first XI assuming the keeper goes, plus 2 or 3 to beef up the squad. If that is to happen then we need a lot of departures.

Cameron1875
12-04-2014, 07:19 AM

:agree::agree: That's the way forward imo. They got Mackay-Steven from Airdrie and Robertson from Queens Park, both players could probably go for £1 mill + now.

Hibs really need to get a transfer strategy in place, decide on the formation we are going to play and buy players accordingly.
Too often we have signed 8/9 players and tried to shoehorn them into a formation that won't work e.g. Vine left mid, Robertson right mid etc.

1st division does have a lot of dross but now an again there's a gem there.

Onion
12-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Still a bit of winter to go yet.

But as soon as the the last ball is kicked, and we're safe, half the first team will be out the door. Terry then needs to set the bar MUCH higher for those invited to play for Hibs, and Petrie needs to back him with decent cash to make sure they sign.

What Hibs fans do NOT need over the summer is the usual link with lots of players who then end up at Motherwell, St Johnstone and Aberdeen.

carnoustiehibee
12-04-2014, 07:53 AM

This is exactly what we should be doing,getting the scouting in place to pick up these young players instead of wanting to pay flood or Rooney top dollar. Apparently malpas has said there'll be a clear out, I just hope we stay up first tho!

rcarter1
12-04-2014, 08:02 AM
We can still use a lot of our players currently contracted. The Collins vs Rooney thread has boosted my confidence that if we can get some guys in with genuine pace, they can hit the byeline and give the service that Collins needs. A summer break, chance to reassess and suddenly we could see some our players come back with renewed confidence. I still think we are where we are because Fenlon didn't realise that getting pace in a few key positions is an absolute requirement.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-04-2014, 08:25 AM
We can still use a lot of our players currently contracted. The Collins vs Rooney thread has boosted my confidence that if we can get some guys in with genuine pace, they can hit the byeline and give the service that Collins needs. A summer break, chance to reassess and suddenly we could see some our players come back with renewed confidence. I still think we are where we are because Fenlon didn't realise that getting pace in a few key positions is an absolute requirement.

Wonder the degree to which injuries to Robertson, Harris and Stanton (maybe even Cody Mulhall?) stuffed his plans? We've not helped ourselves but not had our troubles to seek...

jeffers
12-04-2014, 08:31 AM

That would suggest specific targets have been actually been lined up mate ?

DH1875
12-04-2014, 08:32 AM

Especially on what's at best just an average keeper.

Vini1875
12-04-2014, 08:34 AM
From the position we are in at the minute I think it will take more than one window to remedy. I believe we have a wage cap in place, not sure if that is true or just a rumour but that seems to hamper our signing policy. TB needs to be allowed to spend on wages as he sees fit so that wwe can sign quality and then mix with younger players who will be on a lot less. 8-9 players of equal ability and equal wages would see us struggle again. We have enough decent players that 4 high quality players would be able to inspire to better performances.

I would suggest this is a big transfer window for the board. They need to sort out and push the boat out on our spending. The decline since 2007 is down to their stewardship of the club.

greenpaper55
12-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Still a bit of winter to go yet.

But as soon as the the last ball is kicked, and we're safe, half the first team will be out the door. Terry then needs to set the bar MUCH higher for those invited to play for Hibs, and Petrie needs to back him with decent cash to make sure they sign.

What Hibs fans do NOT need over the summer is the usual link with lots of players who then end up at Motherwell, St Johnstone and Aberdeen.

:top marksWe should be first choice for players outwith the OF, it would seem we are about fourth choice for some. We need a touch of class about the place instead of getting players from the likes of Carlisle and even worse !.

Heisenberg
12-04-2014, 08:53 AM
:top marksWe should be first choice for players outwith the OF, it would seem we are about fourth choice for some. We need a touch of class about the place instead of getting players from the likes of Carlisle and even worse !.

Butcher got most of that ICT team from some even smaller teams than Carlisle. I wish we'd stop judging players due to where they currently play. Tom Soares came on loan from premier league stoke and was utterly hopeless. I'll back whoever we sign. I just hope he gets his first choice targets and that is all down to Petrie.

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2014, 08:56 AM
A keeper, a new back four, two wide men and two new front men should be the nine players that come in. Supplement them with the kids and the likes of Forster Hanlon Robertson Stanton and Cummings. Obviously there are others who are still under contract, but they have proved to me they are poor players and if they don't improve then none of them should be anywhere near the team.

Saorsa
12-04-2014, 08:59 AM
:top marksWe should be first choice for players outwith the OF, it would seem we are about fourth choice for some. We need a touch of class about the place instead of getting players from the likes of Carlisle and even worse !.Where the player come from has nothing tae dae with it and people need tae stop rubbishing them because of that abd before they've even seen them play. He got Billy McKay from Northampton Town and he's no turned out too bad. All I'm bothered about is he gets his 1st choices (or at least 2nd), no 4th, 5th or 6th. Then he will be responsible and he can be judged properly on that and it winnae be anybody else's fault, no even Rod Petrie's (it'll only be his fault for appointing Butcher :greengrin ). If we go down the road of previous seasons we'll almost certainly end up back where we are.

Hibrandenburg
12-04-2014, 09:04 AM

This would be my preferred option. A few top notch guys earning a good wage with the young guys aspiring to join them. As in the real world football communism doesn't work.

Eyrie
12-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Out of contract
Williams, Murdoch, Grant
Maybury, McPake
Taiwo, Thomson, Cairney, Horribine
Caldwell, Handling

Loans finishing
Boateng, Zoubir, Watmore, Haynes

Under Contract for 14/15
No goalkeepers
Forster, Nelson, Hanlon, McGivern, Booth
Harris, Stanton, Robertson, Stevenson, Craig, Tudur Jones
Collins, Heffernan, Cummings

So based on that we need two goalkeepers (Brill?), a starting RB (use Black/Forster as cover), two wingers and a striker at minimum - which is five new players and an extension for Grant. I'd also want to move Nelson and Heffernan at a minimum and won't be bothered by the departures of McGivern, Craig or Tudur Jones.

I'm hoping for key signings at keeper, centre half, winger and forward with solid players at right back, left back (this could be an improved Booth), central midfield, the other wing and forward. Oddly enough, that would be the rumoured nine players although the number is a coincidence and not the result of any inside knowledge.

jdships
12-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Massive Summer

That is the understatement of the year !!

In my book this summer will formulate what happens at HFC over the next three/folur years
Get this one wrong and we are heading for MAJOR problems

Good luck TB/MP - methinks you may need a big slice of it :greengrin

Thecat23
12-04-2014, 10:07 AM
That would suggest specific targets have been actually been lined up mate ?

He has his first targets lined up. Everything depends on players moving on from Hibs as well though.

Thecat23
12-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Do you know who the other ICT player is? I like the look of Doran and also Nick Ross. Think the latter is out of favour under yogi.

I also like the look of Doran mate. I'd take him no problem. Mackay is the other I'm now hearing. But that wasn't from the same source as Brill.

edinburghhibee
12-04-2014, 10:21 AM
I think shinnie is there best player decent in the tackle and looks great going forward gets himself to the bye line and whips in some great balls. I can't see hibs paying money for anyone tho.

Brightside
12-04-2014, 10:44 AM
How much longer do we have to keep mcgivern?

DH1875
12-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Out of contract
Williams, Murdoch, Grant
Maybury, McPake
Taiwo, Thomson, Cairney, Horribine
Caldwell, Handling

Loans finishing
Boateng, Zoubir, Watmore, Haynes

Under Contract for 14/15
No goalkeepers
Forster, Nelson, Hanlon, McGivern, Booth
Harris, Stanton, Robertson, Stevenson, Craig, Tudur Jones
Collins, Heffernan, Cummings

So based on that we need two goalkeepers (Brill?), a starting RB (use Black/Forster as cover), two wingers and a striker at minimum - which is five new players and an extension for Grant. I'd also want to move Nelson and Heffernan at a minimum and won't be bothered by the departures of McGivern, Craig or Tudur Jones.

I'm hoping for key signings at keeper, centre half, winger and forward with solid players at right back, left back (this could be an improved Booth), central midfield, the other wing and forward. Oddly enough, that would be the rumoured nine players although the number is a coincidence and not the result of any inside knowledge.

Big worry for me would be that going by that list, we're gonna be stuck with the same back 4 that we've had this season. Only Nelson will be a year older :(

andy1875
12-04-2014, 10:50 AM
How much longer do we have to keep mcgivern?

Hopefully not beyond this season.

As harsh as it sounds, i don't rate him at all.

If both parties can come to an agreement in the summer I'll happily see him go.

hibees 7062
12-04-2014, 11:02 AM

Billy MacKay

Billy Whizz
12-04-2014, 11:06 AM

I'm sure he would move on if he's not a starter, will want to keep his NI place

hibees 7062
12-04-2014, 11:09 AM
I also like the look of Doran mate. I'd take him no problem. Mackay is the other I'm now hearing. But that wasn't from the same source as Brill.

:agree: Petrie knocked it back in January

jeffers
12-04-2014, 11:09 AM
He has his first targets lined up. Everything depends on players moving on from Hibs as well though.

Cheers mate.

emerald green
12-04-2014, 11:20 AM
First and foremost, Hibs have to stay up, otherwise a lot of players mentioned on this thread wont come to Hibs IMO. That's one of the major dangers of getting relegated. What decent player is going to want to play in that league if they can play at a higher level?

one day maybe...
12-04-2014, 11:32 AM
The Williamson at Dunfermline looks a bright full back, willing to get forward and strong..

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-04-2014, 12:01 PM
If we were to bring in three quality players, I would go right through the spine and get a good keeper, and central defender and a proper centre forward. Not a forward or an attacker, but a proper old fashioned number nine. The other positions can be filed by what we keep and overdue promotions from the Under 20's.
FWIW, I also think that we need to get this done early, even if it means paying new players through the summer, because the players need to be in proper condition and as fit as Butcher's team were at ICT. I would guess that some of our players just now are struggling for the fitness levels that Butcher and Malpas are looking for. If they can't or won't achieve that, they are of no use, but we can't be finding that out after the season has started.

Thecat23
12-04-2014, 12:02 PM
First and foremost, Hibs have to stay up, otherwise a lot of players mentioned on this thread wont come to Hibs IMO. That's one of the major dangers of getting relegated. What decent player is going to want to play in that league if they can play at a higher level?

Quite a few looking at The Rangers team :D

But I do agree, safety first or we will struggle to get any of these targets.

Aldo
12-04-2014, 12:13 PM
If we were to bring in three quality players, I would go right through the spine and get a good keeper, and central defender and a proper centre forward. Not a forward or an attacker, but a proper old fashioned number nine. The other positions can be filed by what we keep and overdue promotions from the Under 20's. FWIW, I also think that we need to get this done early, even if it means paying new players through the summer, because the players need to be in proper condition and as fit as Butcher's team were at ICT. I would guess that some of our players just now are struggling for the fitness levels that Butcher and Malpas are looking for. If they can't or won't achieve that, they are of no use, but we can't be finding that out after the season has started.

Anderson Jones and what's Keith Houchen doing these days??? ;-)

Jones28
12-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Not harsh at all mate, he's been utter pish.

HoboHarry
12-04-2014, 01:13 PM
What's the point of bringing in new players if Petrie is going to tell them to play cr*p once they arrive. That's what happens, I read it on here often enough.
Lol....... That was funny....

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Brill is no better than an interested Ben Williams IMO. McKay, Ross or Meekings will be the other ICT player coming I reckon:agree:

HoboHarry
12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Brill is no better than an interested Ben Williams IMO. McKay, Ross or Meekings will be the other ICT player coming I reckon:agree:
So if he is as good as Ben Williams what is the problem with that?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-04-2014, 03:49 PM
So if he is as good as Ben Williams what is the problem with that?

There's nae problem wae that. Just my opinion though.

madhatter
12-04-2014, 03:58 PM
It will be a busy summer. Though, I'd prefer if we did 6-7 really good signings than 10+ because it's not the quantity we're lacking it's the quality. If we still had players of Sauzee and Latapy's quality or thereabouts (due to them both having been brilliant players), we would easily be top 6 minimum but instead we have 5-6 almost identical players in midfield who are lacking in ability. Our youngsters (U-20s) are looking impressive so I would use them to shore up the spaces and bring them on - Dundee United framework.

I do think Calderwood is to blame rather than Fenlon and now Butcher because I get the feeling we've had players waiting for their contract to run out for a while. Petrie must back the manager or leave as this isn't primarily a business, it's a football club. One that means so much to so many. This "five year plan", I personally think is Petrie's retirement or something!

Big problem I see is, the owner of Hibs (Tom Farmer) doesn't like football and hence will only care about the financial well-being of the club. "Persevere" and "Come to watch good football" seem ludicrous to have beside a Season Ticket Membership at Hibs. We've persevered for too long and we'd like to see good football at Easter Road for once!

I hope for a big summer on and off the field at ER and will look forward to supporting a good team once again.
:flag:

Keith_M
12-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Lol....... That was funny....

Sorry, I was grumpy earlier :wink:

I removed the post.

Jones28
12-04-2014, 04:09 PM
I think Murdoch is a perfectly capable keeper, he's been waiting for a chance for long enough so why not promote him to first choice and bring through a youngster?

Pray4Marc
12-04-2014, 05:49 PM
We are having a clear out every summer.

GK
RB
CBx2
CM
AM
RM
CFx2

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Craig Wighton of Dundee looks a player, only 16 aswell.

NOLA
12-04-2014, 06:05 PM
If we are going to pay a transfer fee for a player I'd rather it wasn't a GK, surely plenty keepers around to replace Williams, I'd be happy to give the gloves to Murdoch

California-Hibs
12-04-2014, 06:06 PM
We are having a clear out every summer.

GK
RB
CBx2
CM
AM
RM
CFx2

Yep, and so we should we things aren't working out. The reason for these clearouts in the past have been a part two-fold reason IMO.

1. We've had poor managers who have actually just went out and signed garbage.

2. Certain 1st targets were signed, but due to Petrie there was alot of times where 3rd-4th-5th targets were signed.

Difference this time is we have a manager who has a better track record than Fenlon and Calderwood combined, in getting in good players!

Over to you Rod, this is a massive summer and funds NEED to be made available!

Michael
12-04-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't think the defence needs too much fixing. A new first choice right back would do. I'd play Hanlon and Forster in the middle and Lewis or McGivern at left back. Nelson can be cover. We will need a new goalkeeper when Ben leaves though.

The midfield (and perhaps attack) is where our problems lie. We concede so many goals because our midfield is non-existent. We create no chances because the midfield is non-existent.

We need to get quality in the middle of the park. We should loosen the purse strings to ensure we don't miss out on our targets in this position.

Lastly, Billy McKay wouldn't go amiss either.

California-Hibs
12-04-2014, 06:55 PM
I don't think the defence needs too much fixing. A new first choice right back would do. I'd play Hanlon and Forster in the middle and Lewis or McGivern at left back. Nelson can be cover. We will need a new goalkeeper when Ben leaves though.

The midfield (and perhaps attack) is where our problems lie. We concede so many goals because our midfield is non-existent. We create no chances because the midfield is non-existent.

We need to get quality in the middle of the park. We should loosen the purse strings to ensure we don't miss out on our targets in this position.

:faf:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-04-2014, 07:01 PM

My thoughts too! :faf: :faf:

BIGK
12-04-2014, 07:36 PM
think McGivern is having a poor second half to the season. You have to bare in mind that he has had all sorts of players playing in front of him through he season, he also likes to support the player playing in front of him. Not something that Butchers kick it far away tactics allows for.
Think a right back is a must (again) as is some quality in the wide areas (in front of McGivern), quite like that Watmore, would keep him. But most of all , if we are going to keep playing 1 up top, we need a number 10. Would spend 2 wages on him, not sure Petrie would though.

The Green Goblin
12-04-2014, 08:05 PM

And mine I'm afraid. No offence to the poster, but we must be watching different teams.

007 Mickey Weir
12-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Shinnie and McKay please. Did we not look at the winger guy Watkins from ITC in January?

SteveHFC
12-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Mines too

Saorsa
12-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Lewis or McGivern at left back. Nelson can be cover. We will need a new goalkeeper when Ben leaves though.Lewis isnae a defender, if mcgivern or nelson are still there I think I'll give up

number9dream
12-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Is this a thread from 2010 or maybe 2011 or 2012 or 2013?

B.H.F.C
12-04-2014, 10:13 PM

Defence doesn't need much fixing? Really?

Since the turn of the year we have been shipping 2 or 3 goals on a regular basis. We need a proper centre half. For me it would be someone to come in and partner Hanlon. Forster has some potential but I think he's been poor on the occasions he's played centre half this season. And we need a couple of decent full backs. We've not got a right back and McGivern is honking.

We are also equally bad in midfield and up front right enough.

Michael
12-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Can't say I wasn't expecting that reaction. Regardless, the thing that annoys me about the team is the midfield. We'd be better off playing 5 up front with our tactics.

I think that if the defence had some protection Hanlon and Forster (possibly McGivern too) would perform very well.

emerald green
13-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Can't say I wasn't expecting that reaction. Regardless, the thing that annoys me about the team is the midfield. We'd be better off playing 5 up front with our tactics.

I think that if the defence had some protection Hanlon and Forster (possibly McGivern too) would perform very well.

Just goes to show how much opinions can and do differ Michael! That's what forums are for though. The back four is god awful poor IMO, and has been for years. I believe Forster could be a decent defender though with good players around him, and if he was played in his correct position. That doesn't happen on both counts. It also doesn't help if the midfield is as soft as s****, thus putting even more pressure on an already shaky defence. Every time a ball is played into our box, I expect to see the ball end up in the back of our net. Williams may be a decent shot stopper, but he does not command his 6 yard box. In other words, as a team, they cannot defend. You would think that Butcher & Malpas would improve that area of the team, both being highly capped internationalists in their day. But it just keeps getting worse.

NOLA
13-04-2014, 12:21 PM
For anyone saying we should loosen the purse strings in the summer, where's the money coming from? Reduced revenue this season from yet another bottom 6 finish, no cup run windfall and the need to adjust our own budget for next season with hertz out the picture, maybe we can sell Collins for a profit :)

Billychaotic182
13-04-2014, 02:04 PM
The boy Stephen Hendrie at Accies is a cracking left back I'd go for him

SteveHFC
13-04-2014, 02:06 PM
McNulty would be a decent signing

Michael
13-04-2014, 02:14 PM
For anyone saying we should loosen the purse strings in the summer, where's the money coming from? Reduced revenue this season from yet another bottom 6 finish, no cup run windfall and the need to adjust our own budget for next season with hertz out the picture, maybe we can sell Collins for a profit :)

We don't need to overspend, we just need to make sure we get our main targets by offering more than our rivals (this shouldn't be unreasonable). Terry said that he was surprised by the size of the squad when he first came, so I think he'll look to have a smaller squad which will save £s. This cash can be used to offer bigger contracts to 1st choices.

Unseen work
13-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Punt the like of:
heffernan
Cairney
Boateng
Maybury
Mcgivern
Nelson
Mcpake
Murdoch
Zoubir

That would give us quite a bit to play with and recruit some real quality players and hope that the players already here get ther form back and we can sign:

Taylor sinclair
Meekings
Fyvie
Swanson
Mckay

That will do me :p

WHUHibs
13-04-2014, 04:26 PM

Now your talking,,,,but these gems would be hard to attract ,,,,but we can dream!

Aldo
13-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Punt the like of: heffernan Cairney Boateng Maybury Mcgivern Nelson Mcpake Murdoch Zoubir That would give us quite a bit to play with and recruit some real quality players and hope that the players already here get ther form back and we can sign: Taylor sinclair Meekings Fyvie Swanson Mckay That will do me :p

I think you'll find a few more added to that.

I would add

Craig ( if he stays he should not be capt)
TT (end if contract)

There may even be others

ekhibee
13-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Steven McLean from St Johnstone would be 1 of my first choices for signing, good player, and by coincidence a Hibs fan as well.

NAE NOOKIE
13-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Steven McLean from St Johnstone would be 1 of my first choices for signing, good player, and by coincidence a Hibs fan as well.

Had a very good game in todays semi.

Brill ...... hmmm, had a nightmare at home to Dundee Utd a few weeks ago .... defence didn't help him mind.

I like the look of Logan the Aberdeen RB ... Year to go on Brentford contract ...could we nick him?

Callum Boothe is great going forward ... still not sure about him as a defender though.

Billy McKay was brilliant in the semi v the Yams when the chips were down ... ran his heart out and made the ball stick time and again playing on his own up front. Could be out of our reach though.

Whatever we do the following are a must:

RB
LB
CH .... who can actually play football.
Central midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and see a pass .... a forward pass that is.
A decent striker, whose job is to score goals and not to be a bloody target man for pumps up the park .. Poor James Collins.
A tricky winger

They must all have a bit of pace .......... pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaase!!!

Sorted http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Northern Hibby
13-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Spoke to a guy who I know knows Marsella, he spoke of a £3 Million budget.

Heisenberg
13-04-2014, 07:31 PM

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Wmt5jPv_q4f_K.O2MlYkSw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzYwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NjQwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zNTU7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_GB/Sports/Eurosport/779804-13156876-640-360.jpg

SteveHFC
13-04-2014, 07:33 PM

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a426/AkalaOokami/funny-gif-Jim-Carrey-laughing.gif

scuttle
13-04-2014, 07:43 PM

is that pence:wink:

Northern Hibby
13-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Only what I heard.

Sir David Gray
13-04-2014, 07:47 PM

J-C
13-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Sure that's no 3m Italian Lira, more like the Petrie budget.

Albion Hibs
13-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Regardless of what the playing budget is it needs to be spent more wisely. I think sometimes it can get lost that we actually do have a large number of our own grown players in the squad, with a few of them showing signs that they may go on to be decent players, it is now about signing some decent experienced players to go with that.

I would be really disappointed if we entered another season without a couple of good full backs signed up. Over and above that a bit of strength in the midfield, a new centre half, and of course someone up front to help / get some goals.

We we won't sign an entire team of players, and I don't think we need to.

weonlywon6-2
13-04-2014, 09:22 PM

That would.be the monopoly hibs then ??

GoldenEagle
13-04-2014, 09:23 PM

Sounds like our per annum player wage budget.

Unseen work
13-04-2014, 09:33 PM

hahah thats brilliant. I personally wouldnt want us to give our manager 3m in one summer anyway, imo it would make us lazy with who were buying and would end up taking a big risk spending alot on a player, putting tons of pressure on them, look at how much pressure collins has on him because people think we spent 200k on him. We could assemble a very strong team for about 500k and even that would be alot, most of the big names we get will be free but a higher wage imo. Which when you think the amount of players we get rid of will most likely even itself out

Albion Hibs
13-04-2014, 09:44 PM

Does not sound like an outrageous figure if it is covering the above, or perhaps more likely the budget for the players entire contract while at the doubt ie 2-3 yrs at x per week.

--------
13-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Same old, same old.

Probably depends on which league we're playing in next season.

Pete
14-04-2014, 12:51 AM
I've not read any of this thread but the board have to back the manager and big time. The boat has to be pushed out as we're running out of opportunities.

No more stories about managers losing targets because of a £50 a week disagreement.

No more bargain basement, poundstretcher, last-minute deals.

Butcher will demand certain players and we have to get them. We keep being told that we are special and we have Rolls Royce facilities...now it's time to act like a Rolls Royce club and stop pissing about.

It should be us with a trophy and sitting in second, not bloody Aberdeen. I've been a big supporter of the board but reality bites at the business end of the season. That HAS to be us next season and there is absolutely no reason why it can't be.

Last chance for the board as far as I'm concerned. Help Terry make this place a success or **** off.

NOLA
14-04-2014, 09:02 AM
:agree: defo our playing staff yearly budget and not our transfer budget :greengrin

GreenOnions
14-04-2014, 09:35 AM
The £3m figure will presumably relate to the % of our turnover that can be planned to be spent on ongoing player costs in the year ahead. It sounds about right when you think that it is generally thought sustainable to have overall wages at between 55-60% of turnover. There will be other non-playing staff whom we also pay and perhaps other costs such as NIC and performance-related amounts are in addition? The overall amount we spend on salaries/wages seems to be around £4.5m over the year I think.

Hopefully this is where TB can win by using up his wage budget with a smaller number of higher quality players?

Cropley10
14-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Especially on what's at best just an average keeper.

Average maybe - but what we keep hearing, year after year, is we don't sign players with the right attitude.

If TB & MM are to be a success then we need players with this attitude - and I'd trust both of them to know whether Brill has this...

Just a thought...

Cropley10
14-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Think we definitely need a creative midfielder, a pacy winger, a striker, a no-nonsense centre half and a right back.

Just like we've needed for about 6 years.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Would take Blair Alston from the bairns!

Northern Hibby
14-04-2014, 12:26 PM
:agree: defo our playing staff yearly budget and not our transfer budget :greengrin

When I 1st Heard it I thought wow but after I thought about it I'd assume that's obviously Including wages, thing is we don't know the ins and outs around that £3million, is it extra on top of what we have now, is it get rid of A, B & C and that's what we have extra, or is it we have an annual budget of 3 million Total no more no less, and that's currently what we spend if you want to add 1st Get rid of A, B & C.

The "£3 million" Budget could mean anything

2 direct quotes

1. from Malpas pre Hibs signing

Malpas: you can attract better quality players.
Me: After another defeat in Inverness: Didn't show today.
Malpas: Well it depends on what you do with them when you get them.

2. Marsella

Hibs will have Pace next year, I have 3/4 lined up already, I don't need transfer Money but we can offer better wages.

silverhibee
14-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Had a chat with Terry Butcher today.

Direct quote.

Rod is only going to Brazil for one reason, to sign up my new players i want for the summer.

I then got a quick word with Steve Marsella.

Direct quote.

Pace, think Usain Bolt and the football brain of Messi.

Then Maurice Malpas came over.

Direct quote.

F*** off ya c***.

Now in Lulu's on George Street with the players, what a great bunch they are, not a bad word to be said about the dream management team.

"oan ma moby Ryan, but aye double vodka, cheers"

"Liam pass me the menu" "FFS Liam that landed ootside"

Just can't understand how we are in the position we are in.

Will update later with some "direct quotes" later.

https://www.ospreylondon.com/uploads/photos/MASSIVE%20SUMMER%20CLEARANCE_1_717.jpg

Northern Hibby
14-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Had a chat with Terry Butcher today.

Direct quote.

Rod is only going to Brazil for one reason, to sign up my new players i want for the summer.

I then got a quick word with Steve Marsella.

Direct quote.

Pace, think Usain Bolt and the football brain of Messi.

Then Maurice Malpas came over.

Direct quote.

F*** off ya c***.

Now in Lulu's on George Street with the players, what a great bunch they are, not a bad word to be said about the dream management team.

"oan ma moby Ryan, but aye double vodka, cheers"

"Liam pass me the menu" "FFS Liam that landed ootside"

Just can't understand how we are in the position we are in.

Will update later with some "direct quotes" later.

https://www.ospreylondon.com/uploads/photos/MASSIVE%20SUMMER%20CLEARANCE_1_717.jpg

so even when I quote source (all in Inverness) and it's nothing to do with Greggs (we don't have 1 :boo hoo:)a 23 bus, the guy that sells fish or the friend of a friend of a friend of Tam McCourt :confused::confused:

Michael
14-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Disappointing if the budget is only £3m. If you consider that it was £4.8 for 2010/11 (http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hearts/204137-comparing-the-wage-bills-in-the-scottish-premier-league-for-season-201011/) that's quite a reduction.

J-C
14-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Disappointing if the budget is only £3m. If you consider that it was £4.8 for 2010/11 (http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hearts/204137-comparing-the-wage-bills-in-the-scottish-premier-league-for-season-201011/) that's quite a reduction.

That'll be based on ticket sales, which have been pretty poor the past 2-3 years.

emerald green
14-04-2014, 02:41 PM

Yawn.

Northern Hibby
14-04-2014, 02:45 PM

That'll be based on ticket sales, which have been pretty poor the past 2-3 years.

But as stated we don't know the details of this budget, talk about doom & gloom, the normal phrase is "putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5" :hnet: says putting 2 & 2 together and getting 3 is the Norm :rolleyes:

DH1875
14-04-2014, 03:51 PM

Were seasonn ticket sales not up because of the cup fin offers? Dread to think what they'll be like this season.

NOLA
14-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Yawn.
you want an espresso?

Northern Hibby
15-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Yawn.

Not sure what the Yawn is all about, I assume Hibernians future bores you :confused:

GreenOnions
15-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Were seasonn ticket sales not up because of the cup fin offers? Dread to think what they'll be like this season.

Hopefully that will be a strong incentive for Rod Petrie to have some major new signings announced early in the summer.

Billy Whizz
15-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Hopefully that will be a strong incentive for Rod Petrie to have some major new signings announced early in the summer.

Preferably the day after Hearts announce bad news

emerald green
15-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Not sure what the Yawn is all about, I assume Hibernians future bores you :confused:

Sorry, no offence meant! I can assure you Hibernian FC's future is extremely important to me, having spent all my life since age seven supporting the club. I just felt that all the speculation on this thread was a bit pointless, because IMHO the only people who really know what the budget for next season will be are the board of directors. The budget, I would have thought, will depend largely on how many season tickets are sold. That, in turn, will to a significant extent depend on whether the club is relegated or not. Both are unknown at this point in time.