PDA

View Full Version : James Collins v Adam Rooney

Bronson
10-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Based on performances this season, Collins - not a fan. Rooney - very impressed.

Both played together at Swindon last season, Collins scored 15 in 45 (1 in 3), Rooney scored 9 in 29 (slightly less than 1 in 3).

Similar strike rates with Collins having the slight upper hand and picked more often than Rooney. Also worth noting Collins is over 2 years younger.

Thought that was interesting given the contrast in performances up here. Makes me think Collins may just need a better team around him and he could yet be an asset.

Time will tell.

DarrenSQH
10-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Collins would score more if he had the other 10 guys playing that Rooney does.

DTS
10-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Collins needs time and a better team. This league and area is knew to him whereas Rooney has previous in the league and will be living in a similar area he was before

Scottie
10-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Put Collins in the sheep team and supply him with the right service and he'd score more goals than Rooney

If we could give Collins the service he needs we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. It's that simple.

Sir David Gray
10-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Collins needs time and a better team. This league and area is knew to him whereas Rooney has previous in the league and will be living in a similar area he was before

How do you work that out? :confused:

leither17
10-04-2014, 09:35 PM
How do you work that out? :confused:

think he means cause he played for Inverness

Saorsa
10-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Said this on another thread, Collins isnae a target man so lumping the ball up tae him winnae work. Collins isnae a Griffiths so he winnae be creating too many chances out of nothing himself. He might dae a bit better if he actually got some service, he did ok where he was before. We create so few chances that the pressure on him for the few we actually create must be great. We need tae create mair and we need better service.

gegs70
10-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Does Collins have a strikers instinct? No not a prolific scorer ando isn't like Killin or mix....but to be fair to him the midfield have let him down!

Sir David Gray
10-04-2014, 09:45 PM
think he means cause he played for Inverness

Inverness and Aberdeen are about 100 miles apart.

Inverness is almost as far from Aberdeen as Edinburgh!

I highly doubt he's staying in the Inverness area at the moment as that would be some commute for him every morning!

monktonharp
10-04-2014, 09:46 PM
I've tried to like Collins, but he continually runs aboot with his arms flailing as he is chasing lost causes. some of it is doon to the fact that he is almost always on his Todd, yet he cant do much about that. our management team seem hellbent on putting him up on his own.Ifeel that he can score as he kens where the white posts are (different from most in our team) but he never seems to get a ball to his foot. he is continually with his back to the goals, and it must be said that his first touch is terrible

monktonharp
10-04-2014, 09:49 PM

I highly doubt he's staying in the Inverness area at the moment as that would be some commute for him every morning!what's that got to do wi' the buses gaun up the mound?

Glory Lurker
10-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Feed the Collins, he will score.

Danderhall Hibs
10-04-2014, 09:51 PM
what's that got to do wi' the buses gaun up the mound?

The answers in the thread.

Sir David Gray
10-04-2014, 09:51 PM
what's that got to do wi' the buses gaun up the mound?

I have no idea what you mean.

Dashing Bob S
10-04-2014, 09:56 PM
The respective strike rates at Swindon are quite interesting.

Like many posters, I suspect that if you did a player exchange, Rooney would struggle here and Collins would thrive at A'deen.

No surprise.

Striking, like any other skill, can be confidence based and Collins is tight, tense and snatching at the scraps he gets, knowing little is going to come his way again. Rooney is more chilled, knowing that if it doesn't come off this time, he'll be fed another opportunity before long.

DTS
10-04-2014, 09:56 PM

I highly doubt he's staying in the Inverness area at the moment as that would be some commute for him every morning!

I said he may be living in a similar area, we have players like that Robertson lives in Perth Craig the borders and a fair few who live in the glasgow area hence the venga bus! So what's not say Rooney is living somewhere "similar"

monktonharp
10-04-2014, 09:57 PM
I have no idea what you mean.and I have certainly no Idea what the f/k u are on about either? Collins disnae stay in either Aberdeen or Inversnekie, and I don't know which buses go up the mound, how about that?

GreenArmyyy!
10-04-2014, 10:01 PM

Like many posters, I suspect that if you did a player exchange, Rooney would struggle here and Collins would thrive at A'deen.

No surprise.

Striking, like any other skill, can be confidence based and Collins is tight, tense and snatching at the scraps he gets, knowing little is going to come his way again. Rooney is more chilled, knowing that if it doesn't come off this time, he'll be fed another opportunity before long.

Completely correct, if we get a decent side he will come good.

Sir David Gray
10-04-2014, 10:01 PM
and I have certainly no Idea what the f/k u are on about either? Collins disnae stay in either Aberdeen or Inversnekie, and I don't know which buses go up the mound, how about that?

I'm guessing you're asking about why I was talking about Inverness and Aberdeen?

If you check the post I originally quoted, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

The post I originally quoted was referring to Adam Rooney having an advantage over James Collins because he has previously played up here and that he will be staying in a similar area to the one he used to stay in when he played for Inverness.

I then queried that on the basis that Aberdeen and Inverness are over 100 miles apart.

It was nothing to do with Collins.

NorthNorfolkHFC
10-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Good post.

I was thinking the same on Monday night watching Aberdeen and Rooney. Rooney did very little but nobody has mentioned the role a striker plays holding the ball up as well.

Rooney did this excellently on Monday, was strong, had good close control and importantly won headers and linked defence/midfield with the top third of the pitch.

Regardless of the amount of goals scored I don't feel Collins does this? He struggles to win headers and gets himself in all sorts of contortions when trying to hold up the ball.

Time will tell I suppose and I'm willing to give him theme fit of the doubt until a better supporting cast comes along.

"That was classic intercourse!"

Bronson
10-04-2014, 10:03 PM

No surprise.

Completely agree, got me thinking that if we get this Summer right and build a good team, he may thrive next season.

Food for thought.

seven nowt
10-04-2014, 10:13 PM

No surprise.

Good point.

But surely a good striker wouldn't latch at the chances and they'd take the minimal chances they get???

jeffers
10-04-2014, 10:14 PM
I genuinely don't get what people have seen in James Collins to suggest he will come good. The first game I saw him play I was disappointed but gave him the benefit of the doubt. He's done nothing since that first game to change my initial impression. He has no pace, his first touch is more often than not dreadful, he rarely wins a ball in the air despite being 6ft+, he rarely gets into good goal scoring positions and when does he isn't an instinctive finisher. Someone at Swindon must still be laughing that we paid them money for him.

Admittedly the service he does get is terrible but he's missed some sitters this season. I'd never fault the guy for effort, but he ultimately he isn't a very good footballer.

Contrast that with Adam Rooney. A player who can control a ball, win a header, get into positions and take a chance when he is presented one.

I can only hope we find someone in the summer to take him off our hands.

seven nowt
10-04-2014, 10:16 PM
I genuinely don't get what people have seen in James Collins to suggest he will come good. The first game I saw him play I was disappointed but gave him the benefit of the doubt. He's done nothing since that first game to change my initial impression. He has no pace, his first touch is more often than not dreadful, he rarely wins a ball in the air despite being 6ft+, he rarely gets into good goal scoring positions and when does he isn't an instinctive finisher. Someone at Swindon must still be laughing that we paid them money for him.

Admittedly the service he does get is terrible but he's missed some sitters this season. I'd never fault the guy for effort, but he ultimately he isn't a very good footballer.

Contrast that with Adam Rooney. A player who can control a ball, win a header, get into positions and take a chance when he is presented one.

I can only hope we find someone in the summer to take him off our hands.

Agree 100%.
There are players that are playing poorly but you can see they have potential. Collins isn't one of them.

Dashing Bob S
10-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Good point.

But surely a good striker wouldn't latch at the chances and they'd take the minimal chances they get???

Rooney has struggled previously (or he wouldn't be back in the SPL) as all most do. Neither of them is a Griffiths, a dynamic guy who can hold play up, or sniff out a half chance, or do damage at set pieces, a player whose touch rarely deserts him.

Rooney and Collins are good journeymen SPL level strikers. One is getting plenty chances, the other isn't.

Dashing Bob S
10-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Completely agree, got me thinking that if we get this Summer right and build a good team, he may thrive next season.

Food for thought.

Yes, it was a very illuminating thread to start.

I think Collins has been one of our better players, but he's still raw and young, and the burden of expectation placed on him with the service he gets is totally unrealistic. We aren't very good, but clearing everybody out and starting again is never going to be a sensible option.

monktonharp
10-04-2014, 10:34 PM

I can only hope we find someone in the summer to take him off our hands.that is a fairly good comment. he has not had some breaks, but lets move on.:aok:

soproni1
10-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Good post.

I was thinking the same on Monday night watching Aberdeen and Rooney. Rooney did very little but nobody has mentioned the role a striker plays holding the ball up as well.

Rooney did this excellently on Monday, was strong, had good close control and importantly won headers and linked defence/midfield with the top third of the pitch.

Regardless of the amount of goals scored I don't feel Collins does this? He struggles to win headers and gets himself in all sorts of contortions when trying to hold up the ball.

Time will tell I suppose and I'm willing to give him theme fit of the doubt until a better supporting cast comes along.

"That was classic intercourse!"

Disagree. If anything Collins did more hold up work, the difference was where on the pitch they did it

easty
10-04-2014, 10:45 PM
I don't see a lot of Adam Rooney, but if you watched the League Cup final you'd have seen Adam Rooney playing for Aberdeen a lot like James Collins does for Hibs. Aberdeen created nowt for him that day, he came really short to get the ball throughout, never looked comfortable, and didn't score. When the rest of the Aberdeen team are doing their job, which they have been most of the season, they create good chances and Rooney is reaping the benefits.

Collins hasn't had a good season, but to put him in direct competition/comparison against Adam Rooney is unfair in my opinion.

monktonharp
10-04-2014, 10:47 PM
The answers in the thread.bet you thought I'D ignored your quote, but , what do you mean the answer's in the thread? puzzled as to what you mean, or to what i've said wrong

Bronson
10-04-2014, 11:05 PM
I don't see a lot of Adam Rooney, but if you watched the League Cup final you'd have seen Adam Rooney playing for Aberdeen a lot like James Collins does for Hibs. Aberdeen created nowt for him that day, he came really short to get the ball throughout, never looked comfortable, and didn't score. When the rest of the Aberdeen team are doing their job, which they have been most of the season, they create good chances and Rooney is reaping the benefits.

Collins hasn't had a good season, but to put him in direct competition/comparison against Adam Rooney is unfair in my opinion.

I think they are a good comparison given that they played in the same Swindon team and have similar builds and style of play. Gives me hope that there might be a player in there somewhere if utilised correctly in a decent team.

Pray4Marc
10-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Non debate here. Rooney is surrounded by better players than we have ie more chances. Rooney would be isolated and ineffective in our current side.

easty
10-04-2014, 11:17 PM
I think they are a good comparison given that they played in the same Swindon team and have similar builds and style of play. Gives me hope that there might be a player in there somewhere if utilised correctly in a decent team.

I meant to compare Collins at Hibs to Rooney at Aberdeen is unfair. Comparing them at Swindon is perfectly fair.:agree:

eggbamyasi
10-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Put Collins in the sheep team and supply him with the right service and he'd score more goals than Rooney

If we could give Collins the service he needs we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. It's that simple.

Good post think your 100%

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

DH1875
11-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Was Collins not on trial with Aberdeen last season? They could have had him on a free and didn't sign him yet not only did we sign him, we payed a fee for the guy.

Cameron1875
11-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Rooney has a first touch whilst Collins doesn't. No contest for me, Rooney was a great signing for the Dons.

Brightside
11-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Not sticking up for Collins but Rooney would look ruibish in our team also. Strikers only score if you create chances for them. We'd have a Rooney Out thread by now.

Baker9
11-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Not sticking up for Collins but Rooney would look ruibish in our team also. Strikers only score if you create chances for them. We'd have a Rooney Out thread by now.

So we would! Everything derogatory that has been said about Collins would have been said about Rooney had he been playing for us. If he and Collins were playing up front together for us we would be top 6 easily and .net would be buzzing about next season.

I am really confident that our management team will sort it out but I am bitterly disappointed that we are so inept going forward. We must go into these 5 games with a conventional 4-4-2. If Heffernan can avoid his dodgy groin strains and can work up the appetite for the game, he and Collins should be on the team sheets now for each of the 5 games. Not the youngsters yet.

Collins is a very good signing and I am glad we have him long term.

jacomo
11-04-2014, 10:54 AM
[/B]

So we would! Everything derogatory that has been said about Collins would have been said about Rooney had he been playing for us. If he and Collins were playing up front together for us we would be top 6 easily and .net would be buzzing about next season.

I am really confident that our management team will sort it out but I am bitterly disappointed that we are so inept going forward. We must go into these 5 games with a conventional 4-4-2. If Heffernan can avoid his dodgy groin strains and can work up the appetite for the game, he and Collins should be on the team sheets now for each of the 5 games. Not the youngsters yet.

More likely than not that Collins will be here next season. I think his scampering work rate can be put to use and he has scored goals in the past so let's hope for better things next season (a few goals this season would be nice as well!)

hibbymick
11-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Will better players around him improve his basic ball control ?

patlowe
11-04-2014, 01:01 PM
[/B]

I have to say that I have seen very little evidence of that but there is no doubting that low confidence (which he is clearly suffering from) can destroy anyone's game. Let's hope you are right.

HappyHibby93
11-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Collins will score goals, just needs better service. I have no doubt. He will score 15+ next season

Keith_M
11-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Collins will score goals, just needs better service. I have no doubt. He will score 15+ next season

In which league and for whom?

:wink:

Ronniekirk
11-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Rooney has a first touch whilst Collins doesn't. No contest for me, Rooney was a great signing for the Dons.
When Rooney hit the post against us the way he tok that ball and directed it was sublime .Compare that to Collins blazing the ball over the bar at Tynie or all those scuffed shots of his as he can't properly connect with the ball . At one point against dons he checked his run when he didn't need to .if he hadn't he would of been through one on one and he bottled it IMO as he knows he wouldn't of scored from that .he is more comfortable and dangerous with glancing headers in the box yet we can't get crosses to him in that position

Ronniekirk
11-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Will better players around him improve his basic ball control ?
In a word no that would of improved by now as must be something they would of noticed as soon as they watched him and the fore have worked with him on that Heff is excellent at it so you would think he would be showing him what to do .but if you lack basic technique at 23 then it s not going to improve a lot I wouldn't of thought

Unseen work
11-04-2014, 05:10 PM
When Rooney hit the post against us the way he tok that ball and directed it was sublime .Compare that to Collins blazing the ball over the bar at Tynie or all those scuffed shots of his as he can't properly connect with the ball . At one point against dons he checked his run when he didn't need to .if he hadn't he would of been through one on one and he bottled it IMO as he knows he wouldn't of scored from that .he is more comfortable and dangerous with glancing headers in the box yet we can't get crosses to him in that position

What a load of rubbish suggesting he actually gave up a chance cause he knew he would of missed a one on one

Suppose u missed collins brilliant touch and volley at the edge of the box after a aimless punt which got blocked from Reynolds?

GGTTHibees
11-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Collins would score more if he had the other 10 guys playing that Rooney does.
Agreed

Hibercelona
11-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Collins is a player that is not best suited playing up front on his own. He's like the young GOC in a way. If you partner him up with a Riordan or a Griffiths, he won't be as prolific as them, but he'll still score goals with their assistance.

emerald green
11-04-2014, 07:50 PM
[/B]

I think Heffernan may be out for the rest of the season. It never rains but it pours. It's an old cliché, but when you're down you never get the breaks. Worrying times for HFC.

erin go bragh
11-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Be a no bad fight but as a footballing contest , Rooney every time for me .

Ggtth

boab1875
11-04-2014, 10:20 PM
it frustrates me that we miss signings like Adam Rooney in favour of players like Collins, who, lets face it, has failed to deliver. The money spent on him was enormous in this day and age in the SPL and he should be doing better. A lot of blame can be placed on the piss poor service he has received this season. However my issue is with the fact when money is spent it is not spent on the correct players which is likely down to the poor management of late. Butcher NEEDS to get this sorted this summer

WeeRussell
11-04-2014, 10:38 PM

Good post think your 100%

Absolute drivel - in my opinion of course.

Whether you're a fan of Collins or not (I will admit I have not been from the first game I seen him play) there have been plenty of chances that have fell to Collins, where you would have thought "Rooney would have buried that." Similarly, you see touches, turns and shots within limited space from Rooney, which you could not envisage Collins pulling-off. I haven't even seen 'moments' from Collins, or indeed efforts where he was unlucky - the only one argument I have heard in his favour is that he used to score goals for Swindon....

For the other side of the argument (if Rooney was at us)... while it would be difficult for any striker in our current team and form - better strikers (and those with at least a change-of-pace or a bit spark) are able to dig chances and goals out of nothing.. as Leigh did for us countless times during his time here. Rooney would give us that bit more.... basically because he is a better striker/football player.

Hopefully big James does come good with a bit of confidence and a few chances but I just fail to see what so many others do. I genuinely think some are just too nice and don't want to call his footballing ability because he works hard. I don't see him out-muscling defenders or holding the ball up when pressure is applied to him (he's not good enough at these parts of the game to get away with such a chronic lack of pace and touch) has he scored a header for us?.. he has come at a tough time but just because our team is very poor right now does not mean "there is a player in there".

IMHO :greengrin

eggbamyasi
12-04-2014, 12:29 AM
Absolute drivel - in my opinion of course.

Whether you're a fan of Collins or not (I will admit I have not been from the first game I seen him play) there have been plenty of chances that have fell to Collins, where you would have thought "Rooney would have buried that." Similarly, you see touches, turns and shots within limited space from Rooney, which you could not envisage Collins pulling-off. I haven't even seen 'moments' from Collins, or indeed efforts where he was unlucky - the only one argument I have heard in his favour is that he used to score goals for Swindon....

For the other side of the argument (if Rooney was at us)... while it would be difficult for any striker in our current team and form - better strikers (and those with at least a change-of-pace or a bit spark) are able to dig chances and goals out of nothing.. as Leigh did for us countless times during his time here. Rooney would give us that bit more.... basically because he is a better striker/football player.

Hopefully big James does come good with a bit of confidence and a few chances but I just fail to see what so many others do. I genuinely think some are just too nice and don't want to call his footballing ability because he works hard. I don't see him out-muscling defenders or holding the ball up when pressure is applied to him (he's not good enough at these parts of the game to get away with such a chronic lack of pace and touch) has he scored a header for us?.. he has come at a tough time but just because our team is very poor right now does not mean "there is a player in there".

IMHO :greengrin
How is it absolute drivel.
1 . There hasn't been plenty chances fallen to collins compared to actual games played .
2. I have not and never would have though " oh rooney would have buried that " imo people on here talk about ADAM rooney as if he is WAYNE rooney which I struggle to get my head round .
3 . collins has has some unlucky momments where hes hit the post on at least 4 occasions . Also had 2 goals ruled offside that i remember which were on .
4. Show me adam rooney creating a chance out of nothing . He may well have but I havent seen it . I have seen him score some good goals but they have arrived from excellent through balls and lovely crosses and passes or penalties .
5. I don't think im being just too nice and not wanting to call out his footballing ability . I genuinely believe he has something that with a better squad a more balanced team playing with more confidence he will score goals and contribute to the team .
I may be wrong but we will see I guess .
All fans see it diff . I just think people are being too harsh . So many strikers in there first season at a new club struggle and especially with a team playing such bad football . I will judge him next season and if hes still not scoring then he would have to be moved on . I just dont see the point in putting so much of the blame on him . When imo there are much worse players trying a lot less each week .

WeeRussell
12-04-2014, 01:48 AM
1 . There hasn't been plenty chances fallen to collins compared to actual games played .
2. I have not and never would have though " oh rooney would have buried that " imo people on here talk about ADAM rooney as if he is WAYNE rooney which I struggle to get my head round .
3 . collins has has some unlucky momments where hes hit the post on at least 4 occasions . Also had 2 goals ruled offside that i remember which were on .
4. Show me adam rooney creating a chance out of nothing . He may well have but I havent seen it . I have seen him score some good goals but they have arrived from excellent through balls and lovely crosses and passes or penalties .
5. I don't think im being just too nice and not wanting to call out his footballing ability . I genuinely believe he has something that with a better squad a more balanced team playing with more confidence he will score goals and contribute to the team .
All fans see it diff . I just think people are being too harsh . So many strikers in there first season at a new club struggle and especially with a team playing such bad football . I will judge him next season and if hes still not scoring then he would have to be moved on . I just dont see the point in putting so much of the blame on him . When imo there are much worse players trying a lot less each week .

Absolutely - all opinions. For the record, I don't put "so much of the blame on him" I just don't think he's near enough a good striker for us and (as per the topic of this thread) of inferior quality to Adam Rooney.... there are plenty of others to blame for our sorry current state. Again you put emphasis on his effort.. I would work my ***** off for Hibs; it doesn't mean I am good enough. I would agree that shouting abuse/booing him/giving the lad (or any other player/manager who treats the club with respect) a hard time is harsh and completely uncalled for. However I wouldn't be honest in my assessment of him as a footballer if I said he was good enough.

Oh.. and as requested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X12IpkQtsys

cad
12-04-2014, 02:13 AM
Must admit I think Collins gets a rough deal on here ,if he was getting anywhere near the service Rooney gets and made a James of it fare do`s
but hes getting heehaw.

eggbamyasi
12-04-2014, 02:15 AM
Absolutely - all opinions. For the record, I don't put "so much of the blame on him" I just don't think he's near enough a good striker for us and (as per the topic of this thread) of inferior quality to Adam Rooney.... there are plenty of others to blame for our sorry current state. Again you put emphasis on his effort.. I would work my ***** off for Hibs; it doesn't mean I am good enough. I would agree that shouting abuse/booing him/giving the lad (or any other player/manager who treats the club with respect) a hard time is harsh and completely uncalled for. However I wouldn't be honest in my assessment of him as a footballer if I said he was good enough.

Oh.. and as requested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X12IpkQtsys

Fair response :-)
And agree with you on most .
And that clip is a beauty .
Comments about rooney was meaning since his move this season .seen a few crackers on you tube collins scored too tbh .
I think rooney is a good player too . Guess my feeling on it is I honestly dont think hes a way better player than collins think collins can be as good if not better . But time will tell I guess :-)
Just gets me when (and not meaning you . Your posts are well said and written ) some say collins totally **** , rooney totally amazing .think its unfair on our player due to circumstances of our team at mo .:-)

WeeRussell
12-04-2014, 02:45 AM

:aok: All opinions as I say.. and if he is to be here for the long haul - I truly do hope it is yours that is correct! :flag:

Aldo
12-04-2014, 06:07 AM
Collins missed a very good chance v the Yams a few weeks back and didn't even bit the target. Reason for me - confidence or lack there of and a touch of desperation. To please.

However watch him against the Sheep on Monday nite and the guy got no service and near to no support. His work ethics, for me cannot be questioned. He spends far too much time near to the half way line rather than in the box. However if others in the team didn't hide away and did their part then we might see Collins in the box more.

Rooney no doubt is a very good signing but not sure even he could score in our team

hibbymick
12-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Why do We constantly punt high balls up to him, he very rarely wins a header against a defender. It drives me mad every game.

Ronniekirk
12-04-2014, 06:53 AM
Collins missed a very good chance v the Yams a few weeks back and didn't even bit the target. Reason for me - confidence or lack there of and a touch of desperation. To please.

However watch him against the Sheep on Monday nite and the guy got no service and near to no support. His work ethics, for me cannot be questioned. He spends far too much time near to the half way line rather than in the box. However if others in the team didn't hide away and did their part then we might see Collins in the box more.

Rooney no doubt is a very good signing but not sure even he could score in our team

So who do you think is going to step up to thel plateand score against st midden given we all agree we won't keep a clean sheet so need at least two to win .Heff out and Robertson didn't feature for under 20 s so no way can he come straight in and play in that one
Stanton is getting forward but you can see he too is feeling pressure and against dons he was also snatching at shots .but he looks most likely
St midden handled pressure against well to score three so this game won't be easy for us I don't want us going into next derby on back of four defeats and no goals scored .
Headers by defenders althogh Kello is decent at coming out and claiming corners

Ronniekirk
12-04-2014, 07:00 AM
See Keith Wright has come out to say we need to get behind Collins .now there was a player who could in his prime score one on one after being put through by defence splitting pass from Mickey Weir Could they not come in and do a coaching session ,might inspire the players .

rcarter1
12-04-2014, 07:03 AM
See Keith Wright has come out to say we need to get behind Collins .now there was a player who could in his prime score one on one after being put through by defence splitting pass from Mickey Weir Could they not come in and do a coaching session ,might inspire the players .

Trademark Keith that was, beating the offside trap, great memories!

hibbymick
12-04-2014, 07:17 AM
I remember Keith wright telling us to get behind Calderwood.

Aldo
12-04-2014, 07:23 AM
So who do you think is going to step up to thel plateand score against st midden given we all agree we won't keep a clean sheet so need at least two to win .Heff out and Robertson didn't feature for under 20 s so no way can he come straight in and play in that one Stanton is getting forward but you can see he too is feeling pressure and against dons he was also snatching at shots .but he looks most likely St midden handled pressure against well to score three so this game won't be easy for us I don't want us going into next derby on back of four defeats and no goals scored . Headers by defenders althogh Kello is decent at coming out and claiming corners

That Ronnie is the 64,000 dollar question ...... Who is going to score. I mentioned earlier in the week that I hoped Robertson would be back hopefully he can be as I would like to see him and KT in the middle of the park.. Play 2 forwards.... Not sure Heff is fit so I'd play either Haynes (not sure is is back from suspension) along with Collins (deserves to keep his place IMHO)

So I'll say Collins and/or Haynes.

If we want to win this game then it's 2 up top for me.

However slight spanner in the works. St Midden need a win more than us (being 4 points behind us) so in view of this does TB play for the draw.... Which I turn brings more pressure on us.

DH1875
12-04-2014, 08:27 AM
That Ronnie is the 64,000 dollar question ...... Who is going to score. I mentioned earlier in the week that I hoped Robertson would be back hopefully he can be as I would like to see him and KT in the middle of the park.. Play 2 forwards.... Not sure Heff is fit so I'd play either Haynes (not sure is is back from suspension) along with Collins (deserves to keep his place IMHO)

So I'll say Collins and/or Haynes.

If we want to win this game then it's 2 up top for me.

However slight spanner in the works. St Midden need a win more than us (being 4 points behind us) so in view of this does TB play for the draw.... Which I turn brings more pressure on us.

We play to win. That way if we draw, it aint so bad. Play for the draw and they score first, we're ducked.

Aldo
12-04-2014, 08:34 AM
We play to win. That way if we draw, it aint so bad. Play for the draw and they score first, we're ducked.

Agreed. The only way for me. Win that one 7 points ahead with 4 to play. Pressure off (to an extent)

Borderhibbie76
12-04-2014, 01:46 PM
We r only 3 ahead of st midden at present so win and gap would b 6 mate...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Paperboy
12-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Collins for top SPL scorer next season..:wink:

I hope Butcher turns him around like what he did with McKay at Caley

happiehibbie
12-04-2014, 07:56 PM

I hope Butcher can turn himself around

ColintonHibs
13-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Jose mourinho couldn't turn him around

weecounty hibby
13-04-2014, 06:02 PM
How did Rooney play today? No goals and team papped out of cup. I don't yhink he hss been all that good for the sheep, maybe why TB only offered short term deal

Beefster
13-04-2014, 06:16 PM
How did Rooney play today? No goals and team papped out of cup. I don't yhink he hss been all that good for the sheep, maybe why TB only offered short term deal

May I be the first to suggest that your expectations of an SPL striker may be unrealistic?

PS Butcher didn't offer him a short-term deal either.

Bronson
13-04-2014, 07:48 PM

His goals:games ratio is outstanding at aberdeen, he's been terrific.

Cropley10
13-04-2014, 08:31 PM
I hope Butcher can turn himself around

I hope so too. Might not have a huge amount of cash on it happening though.

Unseen work
13-04-2014, 11:24 PM
both are very similar players that are big lads that are strong and give defenders a hard time, neither are going to dribble past 5 defenders or score 30 yard screamers.

However balls into the box such as robsons to rooney against us is the type of service he is missing.

I will back collins all the way until the other 10 players on the pitch give him support. If were criticising a striker for not scoring enough youve got to look at the midfield for not creating enough. Most of our goals are from corners, i cant think of the last decent assist we have had

PeterboroHibee
14-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Ive found Collins quite a frustrating player this season (particularly with some of the chances he has missed), but I agree with the majority of people in this thread - in a better team I think he would be scoring goals. Snatching at chances or taking bad touches are most likely to do with his complete lack of confidence, and how little he sees the ball or chances he gets. When he first moved here, in his first interview he clearly stated he wasnt a target man, yet has spent the last few months playing as the lone striker in a team playing hoofball...

I think if some planning goes into the team for next season then there should be a place for him in the team. Hes still young so there may be more of an adjustment period, and he also wouldnt be the first striker who has had a poor first year and gone on to be successful. What I dont understand is why we havent really tried to adjust our game over the last few weeks to try and create more chances for him?