PDA

View Full Version : What others think.....

HappyAsHellas
10-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Found on the thistle supporters forum, and I thought some people here had too much time on their hands:

Last night after the Hibs game I ran a simulation of 1000 seasons in Excel based on random results from here on in to see what the likely permutations were in terms of points needed.

In order to use GD to separate the teams I had to generate actual scores rather than just win / draw / loss but limited max goals per team per game to 4 so not to end up with wild results.

Obviously as it's entirely random it doesn't include form or momentum (i.e. Hibs) but they're hard to quantify.

Conclusion 1: I desperately need my hole, but that's a side issue.

Conclusion 2: the likelihood of each team finishing in the playoff position as it stands with random results.

Hibs- 6.1%
Killie- 9.5%
County- 22.8%
St Mirren-24%
Thistle- 37.6%

I'd expect with more seasons then County and St Mirren would be even closer together.

Conclusion 3

The average points for 10th was a bawhair under 37, the average points for 11th midway between 34 and 35.

Conclusion 4

The following points totals were safe the following % of the time

35- safe 47% of the time
36- safe 70% of the time
37- safe 84% of the time
38- safe 97% of the time
39- safe 99.8% of the time (both times Thistle ended up with 39 and St Mirren and Killie on 40, raging)
40- safe 100% of the time

There we have it, 37 probably does it, 38 and 39 almost definitely do it.

discuss.................

hibs0666
10-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Found on the thistle supporters forum, and I thought some people here had too much time on their hands:

Last night after the Hibs game I ran a simulation of 1000 seasons in Excel based on random results from here on in to see what the likely permutations were in terms of points needed.

In order to use GD to separate the teams I had to generate actual scores rather than just win / draw / loss but limited max goals per team per game to 4 so not to end up with wild results.

Obviously as it's entirely random it doesn't include form or momentum (i.e. Hibs) but they're hard to quantify.

Conclusion 2: the likelihood of each team finishing in the playoff position as it stands with random results.

Hibs- 6.1%
Killie- 9.5%
County- 22.8%
St Mirren-24%
Thistle- 37.6%

I'd expect with more seasons then County and St Mirren would be even closer together.

Conclusion 3

The average points for 10th was a bawhair under 37, the average points for 11th midway between 34 and 35.

Conclusion 4

35- safe 47% of the time
36- safe 70% of the time
37- safe 84% of the time
38- safe 97% of the time
39- safe 99.8% of the time (both times Thistle ended up with 39 and St Mirren and Killie on 40, raging)

discuss.................

I'm liking that, and I also agree with conclusion one.

Michael
10-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately for Scotland, this website is a couple of weeks behind but before the Aberdeen match it calculated we only had a 3% chance of finishing 11th (a bit optimistic maybe!). Once it updates with the bottom 6 fixtures it might be a bit more interesting.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/Scotland/PremierLeague.html

Bronson
10-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Hibs- 6.1%
Killie- 9.5%
County- 22.8%
St Mirren-24%
Thistle- 37.6%

Conclusion 3

Conclusion 4

35- safe 47% of the time
36- safe 70% of the time
37- safe 84% of the time
38- safe 97% of the time

discuss.................

Conclusion 1 is certainly evident but this is quite an interesting read nonetheless. Would suggest we have less to worry about than the press have been making out in recent weeks.

SetonClapper
10-04-2014, 10:52 AM
It's interesting but irrelevant because it's predicated upon each team being as likely to beat ever other team, which is not the case. He does say that form cannot be factored in, but that's really the key element. If you make the sample large enough, the final positions will be as they are now because all the points will be shared. FWIW I think we'll avoid the play-off spot by picking up a couple of results, but it is going to be squeaky bum time.

Geo_1875
10-04-2014, 11:06 AM
It's all random and bears no resemblance to real life.

Keith_M
10-04-2014, 11:10 AM
discuss.................

Ehm, you need to get a life?

:greengrin

The Sea-gull
10-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Fair play to whoever has taken the time to do it but for me it doesn't really tell me anything I don't know.

We are less likely to get relegated than most of the other teams but with each passing week it becomes more likely until we stop losing games. Whatever happens we are rank rotten, it has been a terrible season and there is much to be done by the board, the management, the players and the fans over the summer to turn it around.

That said, as a club we just need to focus on getting safe for now and if we manage this (which we should be capable of) we can start to think about how to start cleaning up the mess we are in during the summer.

rcarter1
10-04-2014, 11:40 AM

Hibs- 6.1%
Killie- 9.5%
County- 22.8%
St Mirren-24%
Thistle- 37.6%

Conclusion 3

Conclusion 4

35- safe 47% of the time
36- safe 70% of the time
37- safe 84% of the time
38- safe 97% of the time

discuss.................

This is just the kind of stuff I love to see! Forgetting that we are dropping like a stone, this is very encouraging. But it still says that all teams being equal theres a 6.1% of playoff. I wonder if you can handicap the calculations based on lack of confidence and morale and ability.

Jack
10-04-2014, 11:41 AM
At the beginning of the season I thought we had a good team on paper. It came to pass, probably to the opposition, that on grass they weren't very good at all :-(

Lets hope, as the season draws to a close, the team play to the expectations of an excel spreadsheet!

matty_f
10-04-2014, 12:17 PM
His conclusions 1 was correct.

McSwanky
10-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Bear in mind he said he did that "after the Hibs game" i.e. 3 more games have passed since then and Hibs have lost all 3. That 6.1% is going to be a tad higher now...

HappyAsHellas
10-04-2014, 03:50 PM
That Hibs game was against the sheep. No one else played since then have they?

McSwanky
10-04-2014, 10:09 PM
That Hibs game was against the sheep. No one else played since then have they?

Ah, I thought you meant the Thistle v Hibs game. Sorry.

GreenLake
10-04-2014, 11:16 PM

Hibs- 6.1%
Killie- 9.5%
County- 22.8%
St Mirren-24%
Thistle- 37.6%

Conclusion 3

Conclusion 4

35- safe 47% of the time
36- safe 70% of the time
37- safe 84% of the time
38- safe 97% of the time

discuss.................

Fortunately the restaurant is rather empty so only a few people saw me choke on my wine.

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Fortunately the restaurant is rather empty so only a few people saw me choke on my wine.

What type and how much ?:greengrin See the Holy Ground :thumbsup:

GreenLake
11-04-2014, 01:33 AM
What type and how much ?:greengrin See the Holy Ground :thumbsup:

Pinot Noir $8 a glass, second was $4 happy hour. Choked on the first glass, third gulp. I didn't see the Holy Ground but the waitress was curious why I was laughing (and choking) and had not heard the expression "need my hole" before.:greengrin