PDA

View Full Version : Haw ! Collins !

Hibiza
09-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Haw, Collins. Rather than spouting of to the press how wonderful you are. May I respectfully suggest that you spend a few hours kicking footballs against barn doors. :flag:

marinello59
09-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Haw, Collins. Rather than spouting of to the press how wonderful you are. May I respectfully suggest that you spend a few hours kicking footballs against barn doors. :flag:

What did he say?

wearethehibs
09-04-2014, 01:25 PM
He said nothing like what the op suggests.

Just along the lines that it took sparky his first season to get used to the SPL so it might take him that long too. But he will keep giving 100% for the club.

Obviously the op just doesn't like him.

Hibiza
09-04-2014, 01:26 PM
how hes got 6 goals so far . Griff only got 8 first crack. needs time , blah blah. Daily express page 60. :flag:

Ozyhibby
Collins has been poor but I can't fault his attitude and commitment.
Hopefully he will come good.

wearethehibs
http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/collins-like-griffiths-i-need-time-to-adapt-1-3369932

marinello59
09-04-2014, 01:27 PM
how hes got 6 goals so far . Griff only got 8 first crack. needs time , blah blah. Daily express page 60. :flag:

Think you'd need to give us a bit more than that to be honest.

weonlywon6-2
09-04-2014, 01:28 PM
article in the sun where he says we wont go down cause we are in the best position of the bottom six,see his point but doesnt explain the woeful performances from the team.
still willing to give collins time as we need to see him playing in a confident side before we fully judge him,imo of course

SlickShoes
09-04-2014, 01:28 PM
I don't think he's abad player, he's been lacking confidence and in most games like Monday has been fighting a losing battle trying to knock down, control and push forward the play from giant HOOFs coming from everywhere. He has no support when he succesfully does knock down the hoofs, we basically need him to be like Griffiths and conjure goals out of nothing.

easty
09-04-2014, 01:32 PM

You'd obviously have preferred him to say "I'm no bothered my arse about scoring, if we get relegated I couldnae care less, I'm ****, so what?". Aye?

Gus
09-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Think you'd need to give us a bit more than that to be honest.

What Collins does? Would love him too, but because he's not a Hibs fan or "legend" he gets pelters.

Strikers need confidence and support, Collins gets neither

ancient hibee
09-04-2014, 01:43 PM

At least he had the guts to front up to the press on Monday night.He's quite correct what he says about Griffiths.There are a lot of posters on here who have conveniently forgotten that they were very unenthusiastic about him coming back for another season.As he says his scoring record is on par with Griffiths.One of the thick journos in the Scotsman claims Butcher humiliated him by bringing him off with a minute to go.Clearly Butcher actually did that so Collins would get some applause from those that appreciated the effort he put in rather than have him booed off with the rest.

Hibs90
09-04-2014, 01:44 PM
“It’s down to the way you look at it – we are in the bottom six but I don’t think we are really in a relegation battle,” he said. “We are top of the pile and people are chasing us. The teams below us would rather be in Hibs’ position than theirs, so that’s the way we have got to look at it and move on to St Mirren.

“It’s a tough period right now, not to have won for so long and coming off the back of the derby defeat last week,” he admitted. “It’s not great but the boys are in good spirits and we are looking forward to the next five games, because it’s going to be a big five weeks for us. We’ve got to stand up and be counted now.

“We are in the best position out of the six. We’ve dropped points and teams have caught up with us, but we are confident we are going to easily beat the drop.”

Speak for yourself pal.

ancient hibee
09-04-2014, 01:45 PM
“It’s down to the way you look at it – we are in the bottom six but I don’t think we are really in a relegation battle,” he said. “We are top of the pile and people are chasing us. The teams below us would rather be in Hibs’ position than theirs, so that’s the way we have got to look at it and move on to St Mirren.

“It’s a tough period right now, not to have won for so long and coming off the back of the derby defeat last week,” he admitted. “It’s not great but the boys are in good spirits and we are looking forward to the next five games, because it’s going to be a big five weeks for us. We’ve got to stand up and be counted now.

“We are in the best position out of the six. We’ve dropped points and teams have caught up with us, but we are confident we are going to easily beat the drop.”

Speak for yourself pal.

He was speaking for me too.

marinello59
09-04-2014, 01:48 PM
What Collins does? Would love him too, but because he's not a Hibs fan or "legend" he gets pelters.

Nope, the OP. Without knowing exactly what Collins said it looks like nothing more than a bitter wee rant.

Hibercelona
09-04-2014, 01:52 PM

Nonsense. Hanlon and Stevenson are both Hibs fans and have taken their own fair/unfair share of pelters over the years.

If Collins was a "legend", we wouldn't be in this mess now, would we?

The_Todd
09-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Deary me.

Winston Ingram
09-04-2014, 01:54 PM
He said nothing like what the op suggests.

Just along the lines that it took sparky his first season to get used to the SPL so it might take him that long too. But he will keep giving 100% for the club.

Obviously the op just doesn't like him.

:agree:

TrinityHibs
09-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Speak for yourself pal.

What do you want him to say? We're gash and we're going down. Would he be speaking for you then?

Hibercelona
09-04-2014, 02:07 PM
What do you want him to say? We're gash and we're going down. Would he be speaking for you then?

Wouldn't it be better if he just didn't say anything?

We have a history of players spending more energy wagging their tounges, rather than applying that energy where it matters most.

I'd rather the players spoke big after earning the right to do so.

Gus
09-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Nonsense. Hanlon and Stevenson are both Hibs fans and have taken their own fair/unfair share of pelters over the years.

If Collins was a "legend", we wouldn't be in this mess now, would we?

Fans been knocking Lewis for years, if it was down to 80% of this board a year ago Lewis would of been released, look at him now. (all be it in crap team)

Have we really had any players that you would call a legend in the last 6 years??

My point was more that Collins is not able to do anything right, what did people want him to say, "face it Hibs fans, we are rubber ducked, we are tom kite and we know it"

I can't imagine Sparky would get nearly the amount of stick/abuse he gets.

Just my opinion of course. But we all know what a bad position we are in, but we have to see it out as one. The team have been woeful, but some of the shouts from the stands on Monday are not helping the players or management staff.

GreenLake
09-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Wouldn't it be better if he just didn't say anything?

We have a history of players spending more energy wagging their tounges, rather than applying that energy where it matters most.

I'd rather the players spoke big after earning the right to do so.

It might be better not to say anything at a time like this, but sometimes they are put forward to say something to the press or the TV. I'm not sure if this was a voluntary interview or what instructions are given to players at this time about the Media. Maybe he had no choice but to say something, in which case I would rather he made a positive view of things.

A better statement would have been to hit the top corner of the net when Watmore rolled it square to him against the cheats. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
09-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Amazing interview.

Gary O'Connor was never as outrageous in his (allegedly) ching heydays.

Gatecrasher
09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
I kinda wish folk would lay off him a bit but I understand the stick he gets also. I don't think we create enough chances to allow him to generate a decent tally but he has missed a few sitters. The guy gives 100% and that's all you can ask for. I think he can come good I hope he's around next season yo give it another go.

brian6-2
09-04-2014, 03:13 PM
cant believe im away to say this for about the 135th time on this forum. Its there for all who watch collins on a regular basis to see.

Point 1: James Collins is a striker bought by a manager (pat fenlon) who didnt have a clue.

Point 2: James Collins is a good striker when given the service he was at swindon by 2 wide men bombing up and down the wing putting decent balls into the box for him to get on the end of, And a decent attacking midfielder behind him for him to lay the ball off too. we at this moment in time have neither.

Point 3: James Collins is a pish striker when he is surrounded by pish who supply him with pish balls to head and pish balls to feet and a pish midfield behind him.

Dont give me this "Harris is a decent winger" pish either. he's been a complete nonety this season. Ive no doubt the lad has talent and could be up to the job of supplying Collins with decent balls. Lets not waste our time by giving Collins a hard time, thats something the whole team should be getting.

Try having a wee bit patience, ive no doubt Butcher recognises this as he knows a bit about football and should be able to bring in the players to supply Collins with the ammo he needs to get back to the form he had at swindon.

I said this about 3 days after we signed the lad.

heretoday
09-04-2014, 03:15 PM
To read the Evening News sometimes you wouldn't think Hibs and Hearts were in any sort of bother at all.

It's just because the hacks who work there don't like to bite the hand that feeds.

eggbamyasi
09-04-2014, 03:16 PM
At least he had the guts to front up to the press on Monday night.He's quite correct what he says about Griffiths.There are a lot of posters on here who have conveniently forgotten that they were very unenthusiastic about him coming back for another season.As he says his scoring record is on par with Griffiths.One of the thick journos in the Scotsman claims Butcher humiliated him by bringing him off with a minute to go.Clearly Butcher actually did that so Collins would get some applause from those that appreciated the effort he put in rather than have him booed off with the rest.

Well said , agree

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

S4uzee
09-04-2014, 03:17 PM
The players should be given a ban from talking to the media. Every week there is someone different coming out saying we will do this and that and it never happens. It is becoming so boring

--------
09-04-2014, 03:37 PM
http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/collins-like-griffiths-i-need-time-to-adapt-1-3369932

He seems a nice enough laddie, and he certainly didn't say what the OP said he said.

My only worry is that he seems to be living in a parallel universe where all in the ER garden's just lovely .....

eggbamyasi
09-04-2014, 03:53 PM
cant believe im away to say this for about the 135th time on this forum. Its there for all who watch collins on a regular basis to see.

Point 1: James Collins is a striker bought by a manager (pat fenlon) who didnt have a clue.

Point 2: James Collins is a good striker when given the service he was at swindon by 2 wide men bombing up and down the wing putting decent balls into the box for him to get on the end of, And a decent attacking midfielder behind him for him to lay the ball off too. we at this moment in time have neither.

Point 3: James Collins is a pish striker when he is surrounded by pish who supply him with pish balls to head and pish balls to feet and a pish midfield behind him.

Dont give me this "Harris is a decent winger" pish either. he's been a complete nonety this season. Ive no doubt the lad has talent and could be up to the job of supplying Collins with decent balls. Lets not waste our time by giving Collins a hard time, thats something the whole team should be getting.

Try having a wee bit patience, ive no doubt Butcher recognises this as he knows a bit about football and should be able to bring in the players to supply Collins with the ammo he needs to get back to the form he had at swindon.

I said this about 3 days after we signed the lad.

Well said and also agree. Pointless and unwarranted thread .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-04-2014, 03:57 PM
We’ve got to stand up and be counted now???

Not now, but we need this every time a player pulls the shirt on. Collins is far form the worst offender. If you called him an honest trier, then just now that is a compliment, and two descriptions that wouldn't apply to some of our players.

HFC 0-7
09-04-2014, 04:01 PM
I dont think Collins is good player, but I dont think there is anything in that interview that warranted its own thread. What I would pick out of the interview is that he is hinting he isnt up to scratch but give him time and he will come good. He could have quite as easily just complained in the whole interview about the terrible service he gets, instead he acknowledges the service isnt great but they are working on it.

Beefster
09-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Nope, the OP. Without knowing exactly what Collins said it looks like nothing more than a bitter wee rant.

Even knowing exactly what Collins said, it's a bitter wee rant by the OP.

SunshineOnLeith
09-04-2014, 05:58 PM
I scanned his comments in the EEN earlier and thought they were pretty spot on. Him and Heffernan looked a promising partnership earlier in the season and it's a shame we've not seen more of them together. We'll drag ourselves over the line in the coming weeks and I'm confident we'll see much better from him next season.

Unseen work
09-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Collins is spot on with what he says.

It's easy to rate a striker based on goals, but how much assists have out midfield got? How many 1 on 1 chances has he had? Or even a half good area for a shot? I can't think if many. The midfielders should be getting just as much stick

I can't wait for next season got him to prove himself next season and get it right up everyone's slaying him

Borderhibbie76
09-04-2014, 06:32 PM
If the poor guy received a modicum of service and/or support perhaps we could judge him. Hoofs from nelson, mcgivern and captain not so courageous don't count as service imo...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Saorsa
09-04-2014, 06:40 PM
I dinnae agree with a lot of what he said (we're in it alright) but I dinnae see the need for this thread TBH. If nothing else the laddie always tries, there are plenty others who put in much less effort. Collins is nae target man so lumping the ball up tae him winnae work. Collins is nae Griffiths so he winnae be creating too many chances out of nothing himself. He might dae a bit better if he actually got some service, he did ok where he was before. We create so few chances that the pressure on him for the few we actually create must be great. We need tae create mair and we need better service.

snooky
09-04-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't think he's abad player, he's been lacking confidence and in most games like Monday has been fighting a losing battle trying to knock down, control and push forward the play from giant HOOFs coming from everywhere. He has no support when he succesfully does knock down the hoofs, we basically need him to be like Griffiths and conjure goals out of nothing.

Maybe but I don't think he's a good player either. He has had poor service and he is a worker I grant you that but I can't recall him once actually beating a defender and running on to score.
Hope he proves me wrong but I only see what I see.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-04-2014, 06:44 PM

He briefly spoke to me after the Hibs kids Christmas bash singing autographs. He reminded me if I wanted to make a donation to the charity to do so. Head screwed on, articulate for a player and confident (he wasn't having the best of times around then either). I thought the sun was setting on him but fair play if we're to get out of this mess we need people with stronger mentality and he appears to me to be made of stronger stuff. Pace seems to let him down but let's see when he gets better service what happens. For now I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-04-2014, 06:46 PM
I dinnae agree with a lot of what he said (we're in alright) but I dinnae see the need for this thread TBH. If nothing else the laddie always tries, there are plenty others who put in much less effort. Collins is nae target man so lumping the ball up tae him winnae work. Collins is nae Griffiths so he winnae be creating too many chances out of nothing himself. He might dae a bit better if he actually got some service, he did ok where he was before. We create so few chances that the pressure on him for the few we actually create must be great. We need tae create mair and we need better service.

Well said that man!

emerald green
09-04-2014, 06:49 PM
The players should be given a ban from talking to the media. Every week there is someone different coming out saying we will do this and that and it never happens. It is becoming so boring

:agree: Yep, and as I've posted elsewhere, it just gives opposition teams all the motivation they need. As if we didn't have enough problems.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-04-2014, 06:52 PM
:agree: Yep, and as I've posted elsewhere, it just gives opposition teams all the motivation they need. As if we didn't have enough problems.

Damned if they do damned if they don't. The club has been pulled up over the years for lack of communication Fenlon was particularly poor (although I think it was in part cos he got burned) - we can't have it both ways.

cmcd
09-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Read a while back that Collins scored regularly with his previous club with service from the wide areas ?

Holmesdale Hibs
09-04-2014, 08:17 PM
You'd obviously have preferred him to say "I'm no bothered my arse about scoring, if we get relegated I couldnae care less, I'm ****, so what?". Aye?

Agree with your point. Or he could say 'how am I meant to score when the only service I get is big punts up the pitch', which would be a reasonable complaint.

The majority of any interview with a footballer or manager in complete BS. I don't mean this disrespectfully, but there's a limit to how honest they can be, especially when their team's not winning. Post match interviews are a lot more entertaining when players/managers are honest but whenever they are they end up getting fined and/or slaughtered by fans or the press. So most settle for the safe option and go with overused and meaningless cliches.

With regards to Collins, he seems ok but not many stickers would score a lot with the service he gets. Put him up front for a better team (sheep or Motherwell) and I reckon he'd easily be in double figures.

emerald green
09-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Damned if they do damned if they don't. The club has been pulled up over the years for lack of communication Fenlon was particularly poor (although I think it was in part cos he got burned) - we can't have it both ways.

Fair comment. I admit I've been one of those who has moaned about lack of communication from the club in the past. They are better now than in days gone bye when the board/directors practically treated the supporters with contempt. I think TB is aware of the importance of good press relations. I'm just concerned however that Hibs players or manger don't motivate opposition teams by making rash or ill-considered statements to the media which may backfire on the club. Do Hibs employ someone as a press officer? Maybe that's a luxury we can't afford?

Borderhibbie76
09-04-2014, 09:09 PM
U got one bit wrong...the board still treat us with contempt. ..

Viva_Palmeiras
09-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Fair comment. I admit I've been one of those who has moaned about lack of communication from the club in the past. They are better now than in days gone bye when the board/directors practically treated the supporters with contempt. I think TB is aware of the importance of good press relations. I'm just concerned however that Hibs players or manger don't motivate opposition teams by making rash or ill-considered statements to the media which may backfire on the club. Do Hibs employ someone as a press officer? Maybe that's a luxury we can't afford?

Sorry didn't mean to quote your post - 'twas the one you'd quoted. Doh!

As for motivating the other teams it's a double edged sword but you know what I'm kinda wondering heck we've tried pussy-footing around why not shake things up? But let's be focused about what we do.

Saorsa
09-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalkain't that the truth :agree:

'gies yer money though'

Viva_Palmeiras
09-04-2014, 09:21 PM

"The chinaman is not the issue here dude" ;)

Jonnyboy
09-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Even knowing exactly what Collins said, it's a bitter wee rant by the OP.

Can't really expect much else from the urinal cubes man :wink:

VivaHiberña
09-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Read a while back that Collins scored regularly with his previous club with service from the wide areas ?

:agree: I got to chatting to a Hibs supporter after we lost 3-0 away to ICT towards the start of the season. He was saying that he knew someone who's a coach/scout at Hibs and Collins was used to playing with a pair of decent wingers at Swindon, while at Hibs he had only fullbacks trying to overlap (normally not very well). If what this guy was telling me is true (and I don't see why he'd make stuff like this up) I would say that we bought a decent diesel engine but we're trying to run it on petrol.

It's possible Hibs' scouts and Fenlon had different ideas about what type of forward we needed.

With this chat about having pace next season I'm hoping Collins might be the player he was was 'dan saaf'.

Ronniekirk
09-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Let's see if Collins can now get us some goals to help pick up the points we. May need to keep us out the play of spot That's where he should do his talking on the pitch otherwise talk is cheap.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-04-2014, 10:41 PM
This is a guy that scored four goals in one game for Swindon against an EPL defence. A young lad that scored nearly 20 goals last season for Swindon whilst starting a number of games from the bench. A player that was linked with championship side Huddersfield and someone that a lot of Swindon fans seemed disappointed to see go. Yet a number of Hibs fans can't seem to make the connection between his pish form and the diabolical 'service' he's received all season. Alan Shearer in his prime would struggle to hit double figures with the service Collins has been given this season.
Scoring goals is a confidence thing. JC's confidence is in absolute tatters

Ronniekirk
09-04-2014, 10:52 PM
This is a guy that scored four goals in one game for Swindon against an EPL defence. A young lad that scored nearly 20 goals last season for Swindon whilst starting a number of games from the bench. A player that was linked with championship side Huddersfield and someone that a lot of Swindon fans seemed disappointed to see go. Yet a number of Hibs fans can't seem to make the connection between his pish form and the diabolical 'service' he's received all season. Alan Shearer in his prime would struggle to hit double figures with the service Collins has been given this season.
Scoring goals is a confidence thing. JC's confidence is in absolute tatters
That may be so but it's what he does in next five games that could determine our future and his .

jacomo
10-04-2014, 09:33 AM
I dinnae agree with a lot of what he said (we're in it alright) but I dinnae see the need for this thread TBH. If nothing else the laddie always tries, there are plenty others who put in much less effort. Collins is nae target man so lumping the ball up tae him winnae work. Collins is nae Griffiths so he winnae be creating too many chances out of nothing himself. He might dae a bit better if he actually got some service, he did ok where he was before. We create so few chances that the pressure on him for the few we actually create must be great. We need tae create mair and we need better service.

:agree:

Not saying he's been brilliant, but then again Cavani fluffed a couple of chances to put Chelsea to the sword on Tuesday night so it happens even to the best strikers in the world.

Without goals coming from anywhere else in the team (at least Liam Craig was netting a few at the start of the season) it just makes the pressure on Collins even greater.

TRC
10-04-2014, 09:38 AM
To me he seems like a young lad that's not had his nat king Cole for a while and when he does he fluffs his lines

edinburghhibee
10-04-2014, 10:00 AM
cant believe im away to say this for about the 135th time on this forum. Its there for all who watch collins on a regular basis to see. Point 1: James Collins is a striker bought by a manager (pat fenlon) who didnt have a clue. Point 2: James Collins is a good striker when given the service he was at swindon by 2 wide men bombing up and down the wing putting decent balls into the box for him to get on the end of, And a decent attacking midfielder behind him for him to lay the ball off too. we at this moment in time have neither. Point 3: James Collins is a pish striker when he is surrounded by pish who supply him with pish balls to head and pish balls to feet and a pish midfield behind him. Dont give me this "Harris is a decent winger" pish either. he's been a complete nonety this season. Ive no doubt the lad has talent and could be up to the job of supplying Collins with decent balls. Lets not waste our time by giving Collins a hard time, thats something the whole team should be getting. Try having a wee bit patience, ive no doubt Butcher recognises this as he knows a bit about football and should be able to bring in the players to supply Collins with the ammo he needs to get back to the form he had at swindon. I said this about 3 days after we signed the lad.

Spot on mate agree 100% I've no been to many games this season but each time Collins gives 110% and when the balls belted at him he at least attempts to get it down. On the occasions he does get it on the carpet he looks up to pass it on and is surrounded by the opposition.

Pray4Marc
10-04-2014, 10:16 AM
If Collins is still here next season(here's hoping) and Terry has brought in some quality in the final third, like a Zemmama or Sheils to link up play with the forwards he will score goals.

Last couple of weeks watching Hibs, it looks like a bunch of lads turning up on Saturday for the 1st time. No communication or fluidity in the team. Collins was isolated for 89 minutes against Aberdeen. When he did win the hoofball he was surrounded by 2 centre backs.

I will judge Collins on next season.