PDA

View Full Version : Blame game

ArmadaleHibs
09-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Sack the board. Sack the manager. It's the fans fault for not backing the team. Tactics were wrong. Who appointed him. We've lost out on another player. We've improved. Were crap. At last a decent manager. Were even worse now. It's not his fault. Sack the board again. We're going down. Bring in jimmy calderwood. Back the team.

This is a snippet of near enough every thread started in recent years.

Like most supporters of hibernian football club, I am no different. I eat sleep and drink hibs and when things are good I'm happy and when things are bad, I'm sad, which as we all know is about all the time at the moment. I would say that most of the comments on hibs. Net are reactional at best and a huge amount of the comments have had us as fans arguing amongst ourselves as to how we see the club needs improving. We've had such a bad run of mediocricy in the last several seasons that it has become the norm for us to fill our threads with negativity, arguments, judgements and guess work as to what's wrong. Who do we blame. Is it us, the board, the management or indeed the players who in my eyes are the defining factor in all of this. It all stems from what eleven (albeit with subs) players achieve in 90 minutes. In our case very little.

There's an obvious flaw in our club structure. We as fans can see it a mile away. The media can see it. They've slated, slagged, laughed at and written plenty about how bad we are. Were slowly turning into the club everyone outside Easter road thinks we are. The more this carries on we will have absolutely no chance of anyone player worth their salt wanting to have anything to do with us.

Where the hell do we go now. I for one have a real fear that were going down and if we do I also believe it could be the ruin of us. I'm not trying to be negative I'm just going on what and where we are as a club right now. To say were in a sad state of affairs is an understatement.

Back to the flaw in our structure. CHANGE. We've had more managers in 12 seasons than half the teams in our league combined. We've tried more players than the majority of teams in our league. We've sold more players and wasted or hidden near enough all the cash brought in. We've had a different starting eleven every week with no proven winning combination. We've sold more season tickets recently with less crowds (that's bonkers). Why. Because we keep changing things, constantly. We as fans have no clue as to where we're going. The management has no clue as to where were heading and are guaranteed to be handed a budget that's far beyond unrealistic. The boards remit is to keep us afloat and no more as our owner believes that just having hibs in the community is good enough. We as supporters have argued and faught amongst ourselves and at times probably had a negative effect on the players.

Were all to blame. Were all having a negative effect on things and were all slowly killing this great club. When I started this thread it was more to do with being annoyed at the reactions to players, manager, board ect, but in truth I can understand why we get annoyed as the club means everything to us fans. Unfortunately it doesn't mean that to the players, management, board and owners. Thus meaning the changes will keep happening, the fans will keep blaming everyone and everything and hibs as a whole will keep sliding away.

How the hell do we stop this mess

superfurryhibby
09-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Sack the board. Sack the manager. It's the fans fault for not backing the team. Tactics were wrong. Who appointed him. We've lost out on another player. We've improved. Were crap. At last a decent manager. Were even worse now. It's not his fault. Sack the board again. We're going down. Bring in jimmy calderwood. Back the team.

This is a snippet of near enough every thread started in recent years.

Like most supporters of hibernian football club, I am no different. I eat sleep and drink hibs and when things are good I'm happy and when things are bad, I'm sad, which as we all know is about all the time at the moment. I would say that most of the comments on hibs. Net are reactional at best and a huge amount of the comments have had us as fans arguing amongst ourselves as to how we see the club needs improving. We've had such a bad run of mediocricy in the last several seasons that it has become the norm for us to fill our threads with negativity, arguments, judgements and guess work as to what's wrong. Who do we blame. Is it us, the board, the management or indeed the players who in my eyes are the defining factor in all of this. It all stems from what eleven (albeit with subs) players achieve in 90 minutes. In our case very little.

There's an obvious flaw in our club structure. We as fans can see it a mile away. The media can see it. They've slated, slagged, laughed at and written plenty about how bad we are. Were slowly turning into the club everyone outside Easter road thinks we are. The more this carries on we will have absolutely no chance of anyone player worth their salt wanting to have anything to do with us.

Where the hell do we go now. I for one have a real fear that were going down and if we do I also believe it could be the ruin of us. I'm not trying to be negative I'm just going on what and where we are as a club right now. To say were in a sad state of affairs is an understatement.

Back to the flaw in our structure. CHANGE. We've had more managers in 12 seasons than half the teams in our league combined. We've tried more players than the majority of teams in our league. We've sold more players and wasted or hidden near enough all the cash brought in. We've had a different starting eleven every week with no proven winning combination. We've sold more season tickets recently with less crowds (that's bonkers). Why. Because we keep changing things, constantly. We as fans have no clue as to where we're going. The management has no clue as to where were heading and are guaranteed to be handed a budget that's far beyond unrealistic. The boards remit is to keep us afloat and no more as our owner believes that just having hibs in the community is good enough. We as supporters have argued and faught amongst ourselves and at times probably had a negative effect on the players.

Were all to blame. Were all having a negative effect on things and were all slowly killing this great club. When I started this thread it was more to do with being annoyed at the reactions to players, manager, board ect, but in truth I can understand why we get annoyed as the club means everything to us fans. Unfortunately it doesn't mean that to the players, management, board and owners. Thus meaning the changes will keep happening, the fans will keep blaming everyone and everything and hibs as a whole will keep sliding away.

How the hell do we stop this mess

The bit in bold is the key. Over to Mr Petrie and STF for the answer I think.

jeffers
09-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Has it changed since Mowbray was in charge ? Farmer was the owner then and Petrie chairman, I don't see either of them doing anything different today that they did then. Granted we had the golden generation but we also had a manager who played football the Hibs way and who supplemented the players he already had with unknown gems like Murphy, Killen, Shiels, Boozy.....I could go on.

I'm no lover of Petrie and I'd love to see someone with the same passion for the club that we do in charge. I don't believe however he's any different now than he was in Mowbray's time. I think because we keep seeing the same cycle of manager in, new players, sack manager, players out/new ones in and if anything we are getting worse there must be some deep underlying issue. Why can't it just be that we've not appointed any decent managers who in turn have signed poor players ? Neither group have gone on to better things after leaving Hibs. And for poor management appointments Petrie should be held fully accountable and have left a while ago. But I don't believe his day to day running of the club is why we are in the state we are today. I posted this at the time but when PF left he said he couldn't fault Petrie for the backing he gave him.

Coupled with the loss of John Park and the poor appointments are imo why we are where we are today.

My posts on other threads may suggest otherwise but I genuinely hope TB is the manager we have been crying out for and in Steve Marsella we have in some way a new John Park.

mjhibby
09-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Has it changed since Mowbray was in charge ? Farmer was the owner then and Petrie chairman, I don't see either of them doing anything different today that they did then. Granted we had the golden generation but we also had a manager who played football the Hibs way and who supplemented the players he already had with unknown gems like Murphy, Killen, Shiels, Boozy.....I could go on.

I'm no lover of Petrie and I'd love to see someone with the same passion for the club that we do in charge. I don't believe however he's any different now than he was in Mowbray's time. I think because we keep seeing the same cycle of manager in, new players, sack manager, players out/new ones in and if anything we are getting worse there must be some deep underlying issue. Why can't it just be that we've not appointed any decent managers who in turn have signed poor players ? Neither group have gone on to better things after leaving Hibs. And for poor management appointments Petrie should be held fully accountable and have left a while ago. But I don't believe his day to day running of the club is why we are in the state we are today. I posted this at the time but when PF left he said he couldn't fault Petrie for the backing he gave him.

Coupled with the loss of John Park and the poor appointments are imo why we are where we are today.

My posts on other threads may suggest otherwise but I genuinely hope TB is the manager we have been crying out for and in Steve Marsella we have in some way a new John Park.

It has to come from the manager and his team. McCall at well is an example and stjohnstone another. Mcinnes at Aberdeen is just one season in loads so I don't think is a good example although the dons went through what we are going through with many changes of managers but still bottom six finishes. Many have blamed Petrie but the vast majority agreed with tbs appointment so what do we put it down to. My view is that we need a spine to the team and haven't had that since jcs time. A reliable keeper,two commanding chs,two commanding midfielders and a target man in the mixu/Killeen mode who can link up play,play in others and finish off chances. The fact that tb says he doesn't know his best starting xi highlights the problems. We have missed a fit and inform mcpake and haven't got the striker I mentioned on our books. Let's just get this season finished and then hopefully tb can get his team in place. We really don't want another season like this one.

jeffers
09-04-2014, 06:26 PM
It has to come from the manager and his team. McCall at well is an example and stjohnstone another. Mcinnes at Aberdeen is just one season in loads so I don't think is a good example although the dons went through what we are going through with many changes of managers but still bottom six finishes. Many have blamed Petrie but the vast majority agreed with tbs appointment so what do we put it down to. My view is that we need a spine to the team and haven't had that since jcs time. A reliable keeper,two commanding chs,two commanding midfielders and a target man in the mixu/Killeen mode who can link up play,play in others and finish off chances. The fact that tb says he doesn't know his best starting xi highlights the problems. We have missed a fit and inform mcpake and haven't got the striker I mentioned on our books. Let's just get this season finished and then hopefully tb can get his team in place. We really don't want another season like this one.

Agree with every word.

Onion
09-04-2014, 06:36 PM

For this read...

2014..... and it continues

snooky
09-04-2014, 06:36 PM

This is no. one on the list of "The 10 Commandments On How To Build A Football Team"
The postman has obviously not been along Albion Road for several years with a copy.
I therefore unashamedly blame the Royal Mail.