PDA

View Full Version : Player contract updates

TheOneWhoKnocks
09-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Any news on Sam Stanton's contract? Seems to have gone very quiet.

Mathias Jack
09-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Any news on Sam Stanton's contract? Seems to have gone very quiet.

Had a look but couldn't see anything as regards to an improved contract. His current deal expires next September so they'll probably wait until the end of the season.

Hopefully sooner rather than later though!

staunchhibby
09-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Believe there is a three year deal on the table

edinburghhibee
09-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I believe Celtic are watching him but nothing has been put to hibs or the player as of yet

scoopyboy
09-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Believe there is a three year deal on the table

I believe the 3 year offer on the table is pathetic.

Coco Bryce
09-04-2014, 12:30 PM

There's a shock :rolleyes:

staunchhibby
09-04-2014, 12:34 PM
He is not looking for a lot and with a few alterations he will happily sign it.He is not lookingvto move at this time.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2014, 01:08 PM
He is not looking for a lot and with a few alterations he will happily sign it.He is not lookingvto move at this time.

Very wise of him. He needs game time. He probably should have had more by now.

jdships
09-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Not what I heard from EM's - given his age and experience :rolleyes:

Cropley10
09-04-2014, 01:33 PM

On 3 wants 8. Petrie says no.

jacomo
09-04-2014, 01:39 PM
On 3 wants 8. Petrie says no.

He wants an 8 year contract??

Let's do it!

scoopyboy
09-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Not what I heard from EM's - given his age and experience :rolleyes:

What's his experience got to do with it?

It's his potential that should be driving the wage?

He has excellent potential IMO so should be paid accordingly.

Jack
09-04-2014, 02:08 PM
What about Jason Cummings?

Transfermarkt says this season but a chap who knows him seems to think next year.

jeffers
09-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Do you know if the offer is pathetic in comparison to other players of a similar age/experience ? I agree he looks a real prospect and has great potential, but I wouldn't really be basing his wages on potential - look at Callum Booth, or further back Billy Findlay.....I really hope he does sign an extension tho.

IWasThere2016
09-04-2014, 02:22 PM
cough... Swansea :wink: .. cough ..

Personally, I doubt SS will be at ER next season.

edit - just noticed Scoops comment and :agree:

jdships
09-04-2014, 02:24 PM

" Potential " is what he has, in abundance , but has a long way to go to being the finished article. He is not 20 until 19th April and many lads with " potential" have , by their 20th birthday, failed to take the last big step to be a " good player "

Do you know what he has been offered ?
Do you understand how wage structures work in football ?
I have had/still have a number of my family attached to Scottish and English football teams over the years and have a certain amount of knowledge of how these negotiations work
Yes "potential" comes into the equation but experience /achievement thro' years with the club etc., plays a bigger part .

Hibs wage negotiations I can assure you are conducted very much on a personal/private basis and I would always hesitate to believe what I read on the internet/forums re these negotiations .
Remember 99% news of contracts at ER is thro' the " Official Site" . As it should be !!
I only heard about SS from one of my lads at EM's who said " Sam's been offered a decent deal I hear " nothing more nothing less

:flag:

jdships
09-04-2014, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=jeffers;3965570]Do you know if the offer is pathetic in comparison to other players of a similar age/experience ? I agree he looks a real prospect and has great potential, but I wouldn't really be basing his wages on potential - look at Callum Booth, or further back Billy Findlay.....I really hope he does sign an extension tho.[/QUOTE

Good post :agree::thumbsup:

scoopyboy
09-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Do you know if the offer is pathetic in comparison to other players of a similar age/experience ? I agree he looks a real prospect and has great potential, but I wouldn't really be basing his wages on potential - look at Callum Booth, or further back Billy Findlay.....I really hope he does sign an extension tho.

I will never post a player's salary or offer but the offer is piss poor, SS isn't even being greedy.

jeffers
09-04-2014, 02:30 PM
I will never post a player's salary or offer but the offer is piss poor, SS isn't even being greedy.

That's totally fair Scoopyboy and nor wouid I expect you to. Cheers.

jdships
09-04-2014, 02:31 PM

Serious question !
Is this a quote from SS himself or second/third hand ?
My lads tell me that wage negotiations at ER are strictly privy to the player/agent and a very few staff .
I told you what my lad said how about your source ?
:greengrin:wink:

Diclonius
09-04-2014, 02:44 PM

Seriously though guys, Petrie's not to blame here! I mean it, guys!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-04-2014, 03:23 PM
I am a friend of Sam's, Hibs offered him a four year deal on what was pretty much pennies and he wasn't happy with it. I posted this about a month ago.

scoopyboy
09-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Serious question !
Is this a quote from SS himself or second/third hand ?
My lads tell me that wage negotiations at ER are strictly privy to the player/agent and a very few staff .
I told you what my lad said how about your source ?

Put it this way, my source would know 100% what is going on.

And by the way your lads are correct in what you have stated in the above post.

silverhibee
09-04-2014, 03:39 PM
He wants an 8 year contract??

Let's do it!

I read it as on £300 but wants £800.

scoopyboy
09-04-2014, 03:46 PM

I take on board what you are saying about Callum (not given up on him though) and Findlay and would go even further to say Tam McManus.

However I genuinely believe Derek Riordan would have signed a long deal if the right offer was put on the table. Also JC got it right in getting Steven Fletcher a long deal with more tin.

Sometimes you have to go that bit extra to ensure they sign.

FWIW I think Sam will sign a deal when Petrie ups the offer.

jacomo
09-04-2014, 03:52 PM

A week? A month? an hour?

:wink:

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, unless I've got my time frames wrong... in which case, Petrie is a slave master / spendthrift fool (delete as appropriate).

brog
09-04-2014, 03:53 PM
I take on board what you are saying about Callum (not given up on him though) and Findlay and would go even further to say Tam McManus.

However I genuinely believe Derek Riordan would have signed a long deal if the right offer was put on the table. Also JC got it right in getting Steven Fletcher a long deal with more tin.

Sometimes you have to go that bit extra to ensure they sign.

FWIW I think Sam will sign a deal when Petrie ups the offer.

I think you & Jc1 are both knowlegeable & pretty much in "violent" agreement here. I'm sure its early days in the contract negotiation stage & a compromise will be found. I would hope RP has learned from the Fletcher experience when JC practically had to tie the Tache up to get that deal concluded & of course Hibs ended up getting great money for Fletch.

HFC 0-7
09-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Hibs have to make sure that 'potential' stays with the club. Lets face it hibs are be a club that brings players through then sells them for a hefty profit. Now that everything is in place all that money should be invested into the playing side of things.

Also, are we paying for potential here? He is one of our best players at the moment and should, IMO, be paid accordingly regardless of his age. Lets face it hibs wont be paying anyone obscene money so its not like we could ruin a young player by paying him a fortune. It sounds like we are trying to get players tied up on the cheap because of age and that to me is risky when you have clubs like celtic that could easily snap him up.

DH1875
09-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Don't know why folks are surprised. Boy would be mental to take it though. Shouldn't settle for anything less than 1k per week.

Mikey
09-04-2014, 06:04 PM
I am a friend of Sam's, Hibs offered him a four year deal on what was pretty much pennies and he wasn't happy with it. I posted this about a month ago.

Presumably that's the source of your leaks then.

jdships
09-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Put it this way, my source would know 100% what is going on.

And by the way your lads are correct in what you have stated in the above post.

That's fine and thankyou
I meet up with people on a regular basis who have " good contacts " at ER and come out with what amounts to rumours from " Greggs" :greengrin
My two lads who are EM are very reluctant to discuss player personal/team matters just as it should be but at the same time will " voice an opinion" which I treat as confidential .
I know from my own personal experience re football club wages that you have to " barter" ( for the want of a better word) as best you can unless you employ an agent which costs money !!
The only difference was we were on a " maximum wage"
The maximum wage was increased to £14 (1951), £15 (1953), £17 (1957) and £20 (1958)
In 1951 I was offered a rise to £6.17.0d plus £ 0.10. 0d a point bonus . through a bit of bartering got £7.17.00d with no bonus !!!!!!!!!!!!
We didn't win many games so had a guaranteed wage :wink:
Thought I was well of when a Engineer Fitter was on £6 for a 40 hour week !!
At the time the maximum wage was done away with at the beginning of the sixties, leading players in Scotland could earn as much at Tynecastle, Easter Road or Pittodrie as they could at Ibrox or Parkhead; there was therefore little financial incentive to up sticks and move to the OF or England

Wonder what the " Famous Five " would have earned 60 years later :greengrin:greengrin

Hermit Crab
09-04-2014, 06:11 PM

I reckon £800 is fair to be honest.

sleeping giant
09-04-2014, 06:16 PM
FFS. Are we now setting the players wages too :greengrin:
Whaes like us ?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Presumably that's the source of your leaks then.

Like the early team news etc? Nope.

scoopyboy
09-04-2014, 09:02 PM
That's fine and thankyou
I meet up with people on a regular basis who have " good contacts " at ER and come out with what amounts to rumours from " Greggs" :greengrin
My two lads who are EM are very reluctant to discuss player personal/team matters just as it should be but at the same time will " voice an opinion" which I treat as confidential .
I know from my own personal experience re football club wages that you have to " barter" ( for the want of a better word) as best you can unless you employ an agent which costs money !!
The only difference was we were on a " maximum wage"
The maximum wage was increased to £14 (1951), £15 (1953), £17 (1957) and £20 (1958)
In 1951 I was offered a rise to £6.17.0d plus £ 0.10. 0d a point bonus . through a bit of bartering got £7.17.00d with no bonus !!!!!!!!!!!!
We didn't win many games so had a guaranteed wage :wink:
Thought I was well of when a Engineer Fitter was on £6 for a 40 hour week !!
At the time the maximum wage was done away with at the beginning of the sixties, leading players in Scotland could earn as much at Tynecastle, Easter Road or Pittodrie as they could at Ibrox or Parkhead; there was therefore little financial incentive to up sticks and move to the OF or England

Wonder what the " Famous Five " would have earned 60 years later :greengrin:greengrin

A very interesting post, especially the bit about the wages in the fifties. I could read these type of posts all day and night.

I take your point regarding bartering but I honestly feel that Petrie takes it too far at times.

I know of a couple of youngsters who took their Dads along to their meetings and Petrie took full advantage if their inexperience. Not so much their basic but appearance money which can make a big difference to a youngsters take home pay. I realise it is part of Rodder's remit to keep expenditure down but with some players I think he just does it out of devilment.

I can recall once an agent had a few of the youngsters on his books and arranged for them all to meet Petrie on the same day. His logic was to take them in one at a time but kept his better ones back to the end so he knew what he could get them. Players in the past have been told not to discuss their wages with other players.

scoopyboy
09-04-2014, 09:03 PM

Me too.

Eyrie
09-04-2014, 10:03 PM

With incentives built in, eg bonus or rise after x number of appearances or u21 caps. A lower starting wage protects the club and the incentives would allow the player to earn more when he has shown he deserves it.

MrRobot
09-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Same here. A very good amount for Hobs player of his age who has just broke into the team.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Me too.

Me three:agree:

Unseen work
09-04-2014, 11:43 PM
If Sam Stanton leaves because the board aren't giving him a fair deal ( been out best player since he came in) then that optimises everything wrong with the club

Hibercelona
09-04-2014, 11:45 PM

Laughable offer considering we're paying Nelson in the region of 3K. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he walks and we miss out a very good prospect.

smurf
10-04-2014, 12:55 AM
This young laddie is for me the only positive this season. That we could lose him through greed is indicative of all that's wrong at ER just now.

California-Hibs
10-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Laughable offer considering we're paying Nelson in the region of 3K. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he walks and we miss out a very good prospect.

Are we honestly paying Michael Nelson 3k a week?! My heart truly sinks at the thought of that!

Deansy
10-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Sam Stanton can trap a ball - that kind of 'potential' puts him ahead of quite a lot of our senior players right now so hopefully we get him signed soon-as !!

Bobby's Cinema
10-04-2014, 01:36 AM
Are we honestly paying Michael Nelson 3k a week?! My heart truly sinks at the thought of that!
to put it another way, almost 400 full price season tickets per year :hmmm: sign up, quick.

Hibercelona
10-04-2014, 02:24 AM

He was only on a small fracton of that at Kilmarnock and even they thought he wasn't very good.

I was gobsmacked when we signed him and just about fainted when I realized how much he was on.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-04-2014, 02:26 AM
He was only on a small fracton of that at Kilmarnock and even they thought he wasn't very good.

I was gobsmacked when we signed him and just about fainted when I realized how much he was on.
All of this:agree:

sven nil
10-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Not what I heard from EM's - given his age and experience :rolleyes:whats age got to do with it." If your good enough your old enough "

I cant remember the footballer i am quoting think it might have been Graham Rix !!

GreenOnions
10-04-2014, 07:40 AM

I don't know if I really believe Nelson is on 3k per week - but you never know. I said it on here after the first time I saw him play for us against Motherwell in first home game of the season - I think he is the poorest centre half I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey.

I've heard it said we actually paid a fee for him!! Now someone is saying he's on 3k per week!!!

We wonder why our squad is full of players brought in from other clubs who are rubbish! We have management teams who make these kind of decisions - repeatedly. For me - it is precisely these kind of individual errors (from managers) that end up with us being in the mess we're now in. How can someone who "knows football" sign someone like Nelson for a club hoping to be in the top four/six of the SPFL?? Signing Nelson was perhaps sufficient grounds on its own in my opinion to condemn Fenlon to the sack.

Ronniekirk
10-04-2014, 07:59 AM
I don't know if I really believe Nelson is on 3k per week - but you never know. I said it on here after the first time I saw him play for us against Motherwell in first home game of the season - I think he is the poorest centre half I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey.

I've heard it said we actually paid a fee for him!! Now someone is saying he's on 3k per week!!!

We wonder why our squad is full of players brought in from other clubs who are rubbish! We have management teams who make these kind of decisions - repeatedly. For me - it is precisely these kind of individual errors (from managers) that end up with us being in the mess we're now in. How can someone who "knows football" sign someone like Nelson for a club hoping to be in the top four/six of the SPFL?? Signing Nelson was perhaps sufficient grounds on its own in my opinion to condemn Fenlon to the sack.
Nelson and Heff were panic buys probably instigated by jimmy nichol as they felt that we needed experience to avoid being in bottom six again .both have another year on very good contracts and bothe are pushing into thier 30s It's easy to see why then jettisoning Fenlon and nichol Scott Thompson and Fenlons previous assistant can't even remember his name and then buying out the current management teams contracts and presumably upping what they were paid compared to what Fenlon got why we have little left in kitty now players Think T B took gamble to in January window and didn't want to bring in more players so he had maximum spending power in the summer as he can't be sure of moving Nelson and some others on .
It's that systemic failure to get right management team in that has led to last minute panic buys tha have rarely worked out for us and eventually if you spend too Mutch time in bottom six then one of these seasons you run risk of getting dragged to bottom .

Winston Ingram
10-04-2014, 08:04 AM
I was told on Saturday that Sam has agreed a 3 yr deal but as yet not signed it.

Peevemor
10-04-2014, 08:06 AM
I was told on Saturday that Sam has agreed a 3 yr deal but as yet not signed it.

No doubt Petrie has taken it off the table since. :stirrer:

Ronniekirk
10-04-2014, 08:16 AM
He will rightly want to make sure we aremathematically safe before committing to three years .

scoopyboy
10-04-2014, 08:32 AM

No.

Peevemor
10-04-2014, 08:33 AM
He will rightly want to make sure we aremathematically safe before committing to three years .

That's easy for you to say! :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2014, 09:29 AM

We wonder why our squad is full of players brought in from other clubs who are rubbish! We have management teams who make these kind of decisions - repeatedly. For me - it is precisely these kind of individual errors (from managers) that end up with us being in the mess we're now in. How can someone who "knows football" sign someone like Nelson for a club hoping to be in the top four/six of the SPFL?? Signing Nelson was perhaps sufficient grounds on its own in my opinion to condemn Fenlon to the sack.Not even remotely close.

MrRobot
10-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Not even remotely close.

Sean O'Hanlon was much worse :agree:

Nelson still is pretty awful too though. We need a defence that know how to pass the ball. Hopefully if we get a RB we can see Forster make progress as a CB.

Centre Hawf
10-04-2014, 09:52 AM
If he's asking for 800 i'd rather give that to him as he'll be a main stay in the side for however long he stays with us for. 800 quid for a quality young talent with a good potential to generate a transfer fee. Or we could spend 2/3k on a journeyman midfielder that will never be bought from us and most likely not care when results go to *****

I know what I want.

steviehibsleith
10-04-2014, 10:46 AM
TB when he came in was surprised at how much certain players were being paid, I guess if he's trying to reduce basic salaries with more bonus incentives then SS may be unhappy at what he is being offered as a basic. Really hope it can be resolved and he signs for us.

Baader
10-04-2014, 11:04 AM
TB when he came in was surprised at how much certain players were being paid, I guess if he's trying to reduce basic salaries with more bonus incentives then SS may be unhappy at what he is being offered as a basic. Really hope it can be resolved and he signs for us.

You certainly wouldn't want a win bonus in your Hibs contract right now! Do any of the players even have these? They probably wouldn't know if they do...

Hibstrooper
10-04-2014, 11:36 AM
This seems to be a key issue at Hibs just now. If you believe the stories (and the outcome we see certainly supports them) we always seem to try and low-ball the wages in the hope of bringing down the players demands by reaching a middle point.

Sometimes it works and when it does it certainly helps the balance sheet. However it also means we miss out on a lot of players who are either insulted by our offer, get a better offer by the time we get close to their demands or just come up against a stubborn Petrie trying to protect his reputation as a hard-ball player.

I think this is a big factor in where we have ended up where we are today. It is time that getting the right quality in is the focus rather than winning each negotiation by bringing the player down a bob or two to try and get a bargain.

silverhibee
10-04-2014, 11:38 AM

I don't understand what you mean by "laughable offer", i got the impression from this thread that he is on £300p/w and is asking for £800p/w there was no mention of him being offered anything from the club, but what the lad wants and what the club will be offering are two different things and i doubt he will get what he is asking for, they will meet somewhere in between and Stanton will sign a new contract at Hibs, he hasn't done enough at Hibs yet for him to just walk away and go straight in to another team and get first team football, the lad is a good prospect for the future and if he has any sense(which i think he has) he will agree terms at Hibs and sign a long term contract, at this stage in his career it is all about getting game time under his belt and he will get that chance at Hibs.

As for Nelson,he is not even close to £3k a week at Hibs, but i do understand why he will be making more money than Stanton, he has experience in football even though he is not very good at playing it.

Hibercelona
10-04-2014, 12:03 PM
I don't understand what you mean by "laughable offer", i got the impression from this thread that he is on £300p/w and is asking for £800p/w there was no mention of him being offered anything from the club, but what the lad wants and what the club will be offering are two different things and i doubt he will get what he is asking for, they will meet somewhere in between and Stanton will sign a new contract at Hibs, he hasn't done enough at Hibs yet for him to just walk away and go straight in to another team and get first team football, the lad is a good prospect for the future and if he has any sense(which i think he has) he will agree terms at Hibs and sign a long term contract, at this stage in his career it is all about getting game time under his belt and he will get that chance at Hibs.

As for Nelson,he is not even close to £3k a week at Hibs, but i do understand why he will be making more money than Stanton, he has experience in football even though he is not very good at playing it.

For a young boy being pushed into a team like this, 300 is an insult and 800 seems far more fair. I don't even think Stanton is asking for too much here considering the pressure that is being placed on him.

As for Nelson, he was a panic buy that was brought in on ridiculous wages. Kilmarnock paid him far less for his services and even the Killie fans didn't think much of him.

Our great chairman tries to pay every player as little as possible and when the deals fall through, he resorts to panic buying in the last minute for utter dross.

Dashing Bob S
10-04-2014, 12:06 PM
For a young boy being pushed into a team like this, 300 is an insult and 800 seems far more fair. I don't even think Stanton is asking for too much here considering the pressure that is being placed on him.

As for Nelson, he was a panic buy that was brought in on ridiculous wages. Kilmarnock paid him far less for his services and even the Killie fans didn't think much of him.

Our great chairman tries to pay every player as little as possible and when the deals fall through, he resorts to panic buying in the last minute for utter dross.

Basically sums up everything that is wrong with Hibs under Petrie's regime.

scoopyboy
10-04-2014, 12:24 PM

Sack your source mate, well under £2000.

scoopyboy
10-04-2014, 12:26 PM
You certainly wouldn't want a win bonus in your Hibs contract right now! Do any of the players even have these? They probably wouldn't know if they do...

They are all on win bonuses. Cup matches are paid at the end of the season with League matches the following month.

silverhibee
10-04-2014, 12:46 PM

Read what i am saying, it is being reported his wage just now is £300p/w, he isn't being offered that amount, which right now is a good wage for the lad, but contract talks are up and he wants more which is only fair, but he is still a young lad and Hibs will not throw silly money at him, as i have said before at this stage in his career it should be more about getting game time at the club than money, if he does well over the space of a few seasons and turns in to a good player then he will get a move to a better club with better wages and the club get a fee, happy days for everyone, if the lad is not happy with what is on offer then he can see his contract out and take his chances on getting another club, but i don't think he will do that so early in his career, my money is on Stanton his agent and Rod agreeing something that suits all parties and SS will sign a new contract with Hibs.

If we were paying £3kp/w to players then we wouldn't be losing out on our first choices, if you think Nelson is on £3k p/w then that is fair enough, but he isn't, not even close to it.

Don Giovanni
10-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I'd be interested to know Butcher's thoughts on these negotiations - he's not even had a mention so far!
Sam has done very well since breaking into the team and has made himself a regular.
I'm sure he'll be a big part of Terry's plans for next season.

Interesting also that most posters are in agreement about giving him closer to what he allegedly wants.

IMO Petrie's spendthrift negotiations are counterproductive. They simply piss people off & cause us to miss out on targets.

jeffers
10-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Let's say then that this is true. We miss out on a player because he wanted say £2000 pw and we only offered £1750. At the end of the window we then sign a different player, maybe the 4th choice of the manager, what are we paying him ? The £2000 the 1st choice wanted ? In which case that is madness, but if it's a lower figure then presumably we have money left over in the budget ? Where does that go ?

At the start of the season a player budget is set and I'm assuming we must be spending it, otherwise we would have money left over ? I'm not seeing that reported. Do people honestly believe we refuse to pay what our 1st choice targets want only to ultimately pay the same amount to our 4th or 5th choice targets ? Or do we have a wage limit and won't break that, but again if that was the case and we are spending the 3rd highest budget in the league wouldn't that mean we would have more players than any other team bar Celtic ?

I'd genuinely like to understand how our budget gets spent. It seems to be a common belief that we miss out on players because we won't pay a few hundred quid extra pw and I know it was something that PF couldn't understand. The only possible reason for us missing out on players despite us having a bigger budget than the team the player ends up at came from Silverhibee when he suggested part of our budget was being spent paying off players the previous manager had signed. Maybe it is just that, but can Petrie be blamed for that (other than for appointing the duff manager in the first place) ?

The Falcon
10-04-2014, 01:13 PM

I agree.

It's always a risk though.

The Falcon
10-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Interesting also that most posters are in agreement about giving him closer to what he allegedly wants.

IMO Petrie's spendthrift negotiations are counterproductive. They simply piss people off & cause us to miss out on targets.

This message board was in meltdown about two years ago regarding the signing of James McPake. Just an observation.

edinburghhibee
10-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Sack your source mate, well under £2000.

Almost choked when I read that Nelson was on 3k, like you say he's nowhere near it from what I'm told we don't pay many players over 2.4k infact I'd be shocked if any of that squad even hit that mark.

matty_f
10-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Read what i am saying, it is being reported his wage just now is £300p/w, he isn't being offered that amount, which right now is a good wage for the lad, but contract talks are up and he wants more which is only fair, but he is still a young lad and Hibs will not throw silly money at him, as i have said before at this stage in his career it should be more about getting game time at the club than money, if he does well over the space of a few seasons and turns in to a good player then he will get a move to a better club with better wages and the club get a fee, happy days for everyone, if the lad is not happy with what is on offer then he can see his contract out and take his chances on getting another club, but i don't think he will do that so early in his career, my money is on Stanton his agent and Rod agreeing something that suits all parties and SS will sign a new contract with Hibs.

If we were paying £3kp/w to players then we wouldn't be losing out on our first choices, if you think Nelson is on £3k p/w then that is fair enough, but he isn't, not even close to it.

Cracking post. Stanton's done nothing in the game yet, and although he's promising and has potential, Hibs have treated him well and spent a lot of time and money developing him.

I'd like to see us keep Stanton and hope he's paid fairly but at the same time he's a very young man with an awful lot to learn about the game, he should be looking to take a contract and look to improve it with good performances IMHO.

Hibercelona
10-04-2014, 02:29 PM

How do you expect him to do well and evolve as a player in a team like this? He's been flung into the deep end into a team of no users.

Unless he does a Messi and starts taking teams on by himself, he's not going to fair very well if he has no experience around him to feed off of.

For the pressure that is being put on the boy, the money in which he is asking for, is not too much.

You're missing the point. RP never has any intention of paying players anywhere near that much. But when deals start falling through and the team ends up down to its bare bones just before the window shuts, RP panics and is forced to fork out a premium for players that are nowhere near worth what they are being paid.

The money he squanders on panic buys, could be put to better use, if he wasn't such a tightarse and was willing to fork out that amount before the last day of the transfer window.

Lucius Apuleius
10-04-2014, 02:41 PM
How do you expect him to do well and evolve as a player in a team like this? He's been flung into the deep end into a team of no users.

Unless he does a Messi and starts taking teams on by himself, he's not going to fair very well if he has no experience around him to feed off of.

For the pressure that is being put on the boy, the money in which he is asking for, is not too much.

You're missing the point. RP never has any intention of paying players anywhere near that much. But when deals start falling through and the team ends up down to its bare bones just before the window shuts, RP panics and is forced to fork out a premium for players that are nowhere near worth what they are being paid.

The money he squanders on panic buys, could be put to better use, if he wasn't such a tightarse and was willing to fork out that amount before the last day of the transfer window.

I personally find it hard to believe that Petrie identifies who we will or will not sign.

Centre Hawf
10-04-2014, 02:45 PM
I'd like to know how some players have chosen other Clubs over ourselves. We have a training facility that apparently is incomparable to most clubs in Britain let alone Scotland. Then we pay extortionate prices for Season Tickets/Match day prices, so surely if that were the case the money is there to bring these players in as is the facilities.

Someone mentioned the process where by we most likely offer cheap wages to our first choice signings then come the end of the window we panic and blow our load on our 4th or 5th choice as the rest have all moved to Motherwell/Aberdeen etc and we just want to get a player in. If that is the case then Rod's negotiation process needs to change, we know he's tight and he's saved the club money and earned us some as well. But the fact of the matter is he is hurting the footballing side of the club by negotiating like this, in turn this will hurt the financial side of things, a problem he seems to notice quicker than the former.

Petrie, for the love of god do something about this situation sooner than later.

MrRobot
10-04-2014, 03:04 PM
I personally find it hard to believe that Petrie identifies who we will or will not sign.

It is him that sanctions them though and I can believe that it's a case of panicking and getting last resorts in, players the manager and scouts had identified but decided against as there was better there(we just aren't willing to pay).

I really hope we spend money in the summer and give Butcher the resources to get Hibs playing well again and build a team that want to play his style.

matty_f
10-04-2014, 03:09 PM
It is him that sanctions them though and I can believe that it's a case of panicking and getting last resorts in, players the manager and scouts had identified but decided against as there was better there(we just aren't willing to pay).

I really hope we spend money in the summer and give Butcher the resources to get Hibs playing well again and build a team that want to play his style.

He doesn't sanction in a way that he decides if he likes the look of the player or not, his only input would be if the player was within our budget.

What I would say is that the way in which we've gone about signing players must be less effective than so many other clubs because we seem to struggle to get anyone 'over the line' when we're trying to get a deal done.

Whether that's down to a lack of tenacatiy or not knowing the right people, or stalling on deals, or whatever, i don't know - but it does seem clear that we are nowhere near as slick as we could be when trying to sign players.

silverhibee
10-04-2014, 03:10 PM

Okay here goes and this is the last time i explain myself okay.

Why do you think the young lad is getting plaudits for playing for Hibs, hints of celtc and Swansea keeping tabs on him, it is because he is shining in this poor side, he is a ray of light who has come through the youth system and has broke in to the 1st team, he is doing all the right things asked of him but he is not or even near being the final product on the pitch yet, next season will be the big season for him, do you really think the club should be paying £800 to £1200 on youngsters who have just broke in to the first team, and i don't see any pressure being put on the lad, of what i have seen him playing he is really enjoying his time playing for Hibs, as i have said, all parties will agree something for him to stay at the club and he can get on with enjoying his time at Hibs.

I'm missing the point, really, so what you are saying is that Petrie could offer £3k to the first choice but doesn't and try;s to haggle with player only for player to knock us back and then he panic buys and has to pay £3k out for the 5th choice panic buy, is that what you are saying, or am i getting it wrong.

greenpaper55
10-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Nish, Sproule, Oconnor ?, We all new on here that Nish was joining even before Mixu was appointed. The other two were his summer signings to increase ST sales, it would be unlikely that clueless would have recommended these two as he had never seen them !.

Peevemor
10-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Nish, Sproule, Oconnor ?, We all new on here that Nish was joining even before Mixu was appointed. The other two were his summer signings to increase ST sales, it would be unlikely that clueless would have recommended these two as he had never seen them !.

Except Mixu publicly stated that he wanted to see Nish playing before making his mind up, resulting in Nish being cup-tied when we eventually signed him. But why let the facts get in the way of a good moan?

Brightside
10-04-2014, 03:22 PM
IF he has asked for £800 a week (and a 4 year deal) then based on what he has done so far I would want my club to pay him that. He's a stand out for us most weeks and may be only young but id expect to see him starting most games next season. The idea that players like Collins etc could be on more is crazy. I want a player paid for what he contributes to the team, not how old he is, or how desperate we are to fill a berth. What he really needs to 4 or 5 decent players in the team on 2k a week to bring him along. We seem to be ruining young talent by playing them next to donkeys.

Lucius Apuleius
10-04-2014, 03:30 PM

Except Mixu publicly stated that he wanted to see Nish playing before making his mind up, resulting in Nish being cup-tied when we eventually signed him. But why let the facts get in the way of a good moan?

As the Peeve says. Too many hibs.net FACTS :wink:

The Falcon
10-04-2014, 03:31 PM

Wasting your time.

GREEN WARLORD
10-04-2014, 03:32 PM
You just plucked that figure out of thin air, ok my turn, i reckon 5k. Any one else like to add some waffle?

The Falcon
10-04-2014, 03:35 PM
IF he has asked for £800 a week (and a 4 year deal) then based on what he has done so far I would want my club to pay him that. He's a stand out for us most weeks and may be only young but id expect to see him starting most games next season. The idea that players like Collins etc could be on more is crazy. I want a player paid for what he contributes to the team, not how old he is, or how desperate we are to fill a berth. What he really needs to 4 or 5 decent players in the team on 2k a week to bring him along. We seem to be ruining young talent by playing them next to donkeys.

Stanton is this years Harris.

We need to try to sign but also be prepared that he is young and may lose form (or get injured, God forbid) therefore we should not be expecting too much from him. As has been said he needs game time which he has more chance of getting here than elsewhere. If it comes down to money between us, Celtic or Swansea there is nothing we will be able to do about it.

I hope he stays.

Diclonius
10-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Someone should frame this and put it up on the West Stand. After all, it's the exact strategy that so many have "commended" us for and that Petrie himself takes pride in. It's just reworded to emphasise what it actually does.

jacomo
10-04-2014, 03:47 PM

Fine. But the point is Nish had already been identified as a potential signing and we were some way down the road to signing him. And I don't think he was a JC target.

Mixu then put the signing on hold until he'd seen him play... but then the signing happened.

I think there is enough in the above scenario to raise an eyebrow at least, is there not?

The second big occasion that caused me to wonder about our signing policy was when Scott Lindsay associated himself so publicly with Riordan's return. It made me wonder exactly who was driving our transfer policy.

Hermit Crab
10-04-2014, 03:49 PM

No chance. If we were paying that we could have offered Griffiths a decent wedge then. Nelson 3k a week, c'mon eh.

jacomo
10-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Someone should frame this and put it up on the West Stand. After all, it's the exact strategy that so many have "commended" us for and that Petrie himself takes pride in. It's just reworded to emphasise what it actually does.

Paying players as little as you can is the right strategy. Otherwise you end up with Peter Risdale.

Hermit Crab
10-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Paying players as little as you can is the right strategy. Otherwise you end up with Peter Risdale.

You have to not only dangle a carrot to get them to sign new deals, but you also have to pay them what they deserve. Petrie does neither in my opinion.

I dread to think what pittance Harris is on.

brog
10-04-2014, 04:05 PM

Not like you to be negative huh! I don't really want to be debating the salaries of individual players at ER but my info re your comment bolded above suggests you're overstating by at least 50%.

The Falcon
10-04-2014, 04:22 PM
You have to not only dangle a carrot to get them to sign new deals, but you also have to pay them what they deserve. Petrie does neither in my opinion.

I dread to think what pittance Harris is on.

You have to pay them what they're agent has told them they deserve, or better what someone else is prepared to pay.

Alex Harris signed a new deal in January, should he have run it by you?

Peevemor
10-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Fine. But the point is Nish had already been identified as a potential signing and we were some way down the road to signing him. And I don't think he was a JC target.

Mixu then put the signing on hold until he'd seen him play... but then the signing happened.

I think there is enough in the above scenario to raise an eyebrow at least, is there not?

The second big occasion that caused me to wonder about our signing policy was when Scott Lindsay associated himself so publicly with Riordan's return. It made me wonder exactly who was driving our transfer policy.

Do you honestly think that manager's targeting specific players is the only way that moves come about? Nish and more so Sproule & GO'C, together with their agents, will have had contacts with people within Hibs - let's say for argument's sake that it's Rod Petrie. Petrie then says to the newly appointed Mixu "Colin Nish is interested in coming and he'd fit into our budget. What do you reckon?" Mixu says he would like to see him play first, then eventually opted to sign him. Where's the board interference in that?

The same could easily also have happened with Ivan and Garry. I don't believe for a minute that characters like Yogi or TB would have accepted the job if the board were known to force players on managers - and there's no doubt that it would be known. These guys all know each other and would have been in touch regarding the Hibs job.

Hermit Crab
10-04-2014, 05:02 PM
You have to pay them what they're agent has told them they deserve, or better what someone else is prepared to pay.

Alex Harris signed a new deal in January, should he have run it by you?

Behave.

Don Giovanni
10-04-2014, 05:23 PM
This message board was in meltdown about two years ago regarding the signing of James McPake. Just an observation.

Yes.

Does your "observation" have a point?

The Falcon
10-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Behave.

then dread no more.

The Falcon
10-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Yes.

Does your "observation" have a point?

There were risks with McPake which have unfortunately come to pass, but those were ignored two years when the board was pretty vocal that he needed to be signed up. He will be one of our higher paid players yet is sadly unable to contribute at this time.

jacomo
10-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Do you honestly think that manager's targeting specific players is the only way that moves come about? Nish and more so Sproule & GO'C, together with their agents, will have had contacts with people within Hibs - let's say for argument's sake that it's Rod Petrie. Petrie then says to the newly appointed Mixu "Colin Nish is interested in coming and he'd fit into our budget. What do you reckon?" Mixu says he would like to see him play first, then eventually opted to sign him. Where's the board interference in that?

The same could easily also have happened with Ivan and Garry. I don't believe for a minute that characters like Yogi or TB would have accepted the job if the board were known to force players on managers - and there's no doubt that it would be known. These guys all know each other and would have been in touch regarding the Hibs job.

Well, that's exactly the issue we're all grappling with, aren't we?

I think this malaise at Hibs goes beyond the manager (whoever he happens to be). And that means the Board, and what they are doing or not doing to bring the best possible talent to ER and help them perform at their best.

Peevemor
10-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Well, that's exactly the issue we're all grappling with, aren't we?

I think this malaise at Hibs goes beyond the manager (whoever he happens to be). And that means the Board, and what they are doing or not doing to bring the best possible talent to ER and help them perform at their best.

That could well be the case - I don't know, but I'm not going to ignore facts (ie. direct quotes and published accounts) to suit my agenda.

My own opinion, as I've posted often before, is that our troubles started with John Collins who shot the crow leaving us with his crap signings and a bad atmosphere at the club from top to bottom. Each successive manager has had the task of sorting out the mess left by his predecessor, while trying to placate an increasingly impatient support (eg. we've gone from giving Butcher time to rebuild, to sack everyone in sight after 4 months).

Kneejerktastic!

Saorsa
10-04-2014, 06:49 PM
I believe the 3 year offer on the table is pathetic.What a surprise.

Don Giovanni
10-04-2014, 06:53 PM
There were risks with McPake which have unfortunately come to pass, but those were ignored two years when the board was pretty vocal that he needed to be signed up. He will be one of our higher paid players yet is sadly unable to contribute at this time.

Yes, with the benefit of hindsight I can't argue with any of that.

When James initially joined on loan he showed more grit, determination & commitment than the rest of the squad put together. So much so we made a loanee club captain (unheard of).

His permanent signing was a signal of intent. That we were determined to move forward, to improve. A marquee signing. Our captain who had helped us avoid relegation.
In short his signing was a bit of a big deal.

I'm sure everyone is disappointed at how things have turned out.

IMO his signing was still the right decision at the time.
Or do you disagree?

The Falcon
10-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Yes, with the benefit of hindsight I can't argue with any of that.

When James initially joined on loan he showed more grit, determination & commitment than the rest of the squad put together. So much so we made a loanee club captain (unheard of).

His permanent signing was a signal of intent. That we were determined to move forward, to improve. A marquee signing. Our captain who had helped us avoid relegation.
In short his signing was a bit of a big deal.

I'm sure everyone is disappointed at how things have turned out.

IMO his signing was still the right decision at the time.
Or do you disagree?

McPake has conducted himself as we would expect a captain of Hibs to so and we were in desperate need of a signing to lift the support, there was huge pressure on the club to complete the deal. I have no complaints about signing him and am extremely disappointed how things have gone, particularly for James. There was always a risk and that needed to be weighed up at the time.
There were a lot of rumours surrounding James' back problems in the summer and sadly they have been proved correct.

To follow on from Peevemor's post above it is worth noting that most, if not all, the marquee signings made back to and including Collins tenure, have not really worked out for one reason or another and while that seems to be terribly unlucky I am not sure we can blame anyone but the manager for that.

jdships
10-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post

Not like you to be negative huh! I don't really want to be debating the salaries of individual players at ER but my info re your comment bolded above suggests you're overstating by at least 50%

Agree wonder what BERCELONA's source is ?
Gregg's ?
I know a large number of current Hibs players to talk to and NOT ONE has ever discussed his wage no NOT ONE
:na na:

jacomo
10-04-2014, 09:15 PM
That could well be the case - I don't know, but I'm not going to ignore facts (ie. direct quotes and published accounts) to suit my agenda.

My own opinion, as I've posted often before, is that our troubles started with John Collins who shot the crow leaving us with his crap signings and a bad atmosphere at the club from top to bottom. Each successive manager has had the task of sorting out the mess left by his predecessor, while trying to placate an increasingly impatient support (eg. we've gone from giving Butcher time to rebuild, to sack everyone in sight after 4 months).

Kneejerktastic!

I don't have an agenda, thanks very much.

I'm pretty sure you don't either.

Peevemor
10-04-2014, 10:36 PM
I don't have an agenda, thanks very much.

I'm pretty sure you don't either.

Sorry, although I was replying to your post I wasn't taking a swipe at you.

jacomo
10-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Sorry, although I was replying to your post I wasn't taking a swipe at you.

:aok:

It's clear we don't have a Vincent Tan or Vlad in charge, who thinks owning a football club means they can pick the team. But we've clearly got a problem with player recruitment because it ain't working. I've thought for a while now that the managers are not getting the support they need, and it's impacting on their ability to do the job. I am choosing my words carefully here!

djs69
10-04-2014, 11:06 PM

surely you shouldn't be posting this onto a public forum then if your his friend.....???

Bronson
10-04-2014, 11:20 PM

Forgive me but I'll take this post with a pinch of salt.

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 12:18 AM

Just spoke to Sam earlier and he says yer talking p1sh. He *****g raging that someone is discussing his financial affairs on here and told me to tell you that if you really knew him , you were to PM him on here and tell him WTF you are because if you knew him , you would know that he is a member here and he has a bone to pick with you.

Just saying !!

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Forgive me but I'll take this post with a pinch of salt.

Indeed :agree:

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 12:20 AM
surely you shouldn't be posting this onto a public forum then if your his friend.....???

:agree: Unbelievable

edinburghhibee
11-04-2014, 06:34 AM
Just spoke to Sam earlier and he says yer talking p1sh. He *****g raging that someone is discussing his financial affairs on here and told me to tell you that if you really knew him , you were to PM him on here and tell him WTF you are because if you knew him , you would know that he is a member here and he has a bone to pick with you. Just saying !!

Hahaha caught!!!

The Falcon
11-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Hahaha caught!!!

Not for the first time........

Peevemor
11-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Not for the first time........

Should we phone the fire brigade to deal with his pants?

The Falcon
11-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Should we phone the fire brigade to deal with his pants?

We could call Fireman..............SAM...

I'll get my coat...........................:greengrin

Brightside
11-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Not like you to be negative huh! I don't really want to be debating the salaries of individual players at ER but my info re your comment bolded above suggests you're overstating by at least 50%.

If he's on more than 300 its too much!

stoneyburn hibs
11-04-2014, 08:27 AM
We could call Fireman..............SAM...

I'll get my coat...........................:greengrin

No stay, it gave me a giggle.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Just spoke to Sam earlier and he says yer talking p1sh. He *****g raging that someone is discussing his financial affairs on here and told me to tell you that if you really knew him , you were to PM him on here and tell him WTF you are because if you knew him , you would know that he is a member here and he has a bone to pick with you.

Just saying !!

You have a PM.

IWasThere2016
11-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Nelson and £3k .. thanks for cheering me up. That is hilarious!!

Drop Nish .. but you can add Ian Murray.

Seriously. It's RP's way or armageddon! :rolleyes:

MrRobot
11-04-2014, 12:56 PM

Just saying !!

So what were you offered Sam? :greengrin

Kaff
11-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Nobody complained about the signing policy when TM was in charge (unless RP's remit was limited to goalkeepers back then!) and I assume that despite Blobby suffering budget cutbacks all ins and outs were attributed to him (Bobby Mann/DR?).
We've undoubtedly gone through a terrible run of purchasing players but to me the departure of John Park to Celtic is more relevant and their subsequent eye for lower league players also backs this up imo.
TB (and SM) come with a reputation for identifying players for our level so the truth of our recruitment should come out over the next couple of windows, the fact TB has more faith in our Academy players than PF has given me faith that all will be well if we can get a couple of good results soon

Cropley10
11-04-2014, 07:18 PM
SS is a very good prospect. Hibs seem to have no concept of what a prospect looks like. Short, shortsighted. I pay money to watch young Stanton.

Jonnyboy
11-04-2014, 08:41 PM

And yet you insist Nelson is on 3k a week. Is this another of your famous facts?

Hibercelona
11-04-2014, 08:46 PM
And yet you insist Nelson is on 3k a week. Is this another of your famous facts?

You quoted one part of the paragraph without reading the whole thing. RP is forced to pay over the odds at the last minute, because he fails to get decent talent in on the cheap.

For the money that he is paying Nelson (whether you agree with the figure or not) he could have brought in a better player if he had been willing to spend that cash sooner in the transfer window.

Jonnyboy
11-04-2014, 08:50 PM
You quoted one part of the paragraph without reading the whole thing. RP is forced to pay over the odds at the last minute, because he fails to get decent talent in on the cheap.

For the money that he is paying Nelson (whether you agree with the figure or not) he could have brought in a better player if he had been willing to spend that cash sooner in the transfer window.

I read the whole thing and it clearly states "Our great chairman tries to pay every player as little as possible" which kinda blows your last minute argument out of the water, no?

What's your source re the 3k incidentally?

Hibercelona
11-04-2014, 08:57 PM
I read the whole thing and it clearly states "Our great chairman tries to pay every player as little as possible" which kinda blows your last minute argument out of the water, no?

What's your source re the 3k incidentally?

Yes, he "tries" to pay every player as little as possible and is then "forced" to pay higher amounts at the death of the transfer window for poor quality players, as the gaps in the team haven't been filled.

I'm not throwing names about. But what I can tell you is that it comes from multiple sources, not just one source. For those saying that he isn't on 3K specifically, that may be true, but when you factor in add ons and other incentives, it accumulates to around that value.

CropleyWasGod
11-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Yes, he "tries" to pay every player as little as possible and is then "forced" to pay higher amounts at the death of the transfer window for poor quality players, as the gaps in the team haven't been filled.

I'm not throwing names about. But what I can tell you is that it comes from multiple sources, not just one source. For those saying that he isn't on 3K specifically, that may be true, but when you factor in add ons and other incentives, it accumulates to around that value.

...like win bonuses you mean? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
11-04-2014, 09:02 PM

I very much doubt Rod is forced to do anything he doesn't want to do :wink:

jonty
11-04-2014, 09:12 PM

Or panics.

Hibercelona
11-04-2014, 09:13 PM
...like win bonuses you mean? :greengrin

I think it would only be fair to say that win bonuses make up part of it. But certainly not all of it.

An experienced CB was necessary at the time. Petrie knew that one was required, but his shoddy dealing tactics resulted in a last minute panic buy. I feel like i'm going around in circles here. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
11-04-2014, 09:13 PM
I think it would only be fair to say that win bonuses make up part of it. But certainly not all of it.

An experienced CB was necessary at the time. Petrie knew that one was required, but his shoddy dealing tactics resulted in a last minute panic buy. I feel like i'm going around in circles here. :greengrin

You're not alone :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
11-04-2014, 09:16 PM

n

So he's not on £3k basic, then? And certainly hasn't earned £3k for a while?

jdships
11-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Interesting reading thro' the posts here about particular players wages/offers of contracts etc.
My two lads at EM never and never have once discussed the earnings of other players with me this also goes for the five or six current squad players I meet with now and again.
Where is this so called inside info coming from ?

I think it is completely out of order that info on a players personal affairs , be it " correct" or rumour , should be posted on any forum
This is their business and theirs only

:rolleyes:

hibbymick
11-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Interesting reading thro' the posts here about particular players wages/offers of contracts etc.
My two lads at EM never and never have once discussed the earnings of other players with me this also goes for the five or six current squad players I meet with now and again.

I think it is completely out of order that info on a players personal affairs , be it " correct" or rumour , should be posted on any forum

I dont believe a word of it, theres some slavering going on in this thread :cb

silverhibee
11-04-2014, 10:12 PM

The info itself seems to be coming from players if you glance through this thread, so who's to blame, any player discussing his wage with a mate can only be bragging what they make, silly them.

silverhibee
11-04-2014, 10:16 PM

I have to ask, :greengrin , you keep saying your lads, but i don't think you mean they are your sons for some reason. :greengrin

But if they are your sons then surely they would be to old to play football :greengrin

The Green Goblin
11-04-2014, 10:19 PM

We'd have seen their potential over the course of a season or two then just when they were starting to click and destroy other teams week in week out, they'd have been sold off before you could blink to pay for filling in the corners of our lovely stadium.

jdships
12-04-2014, 08:40 AM
I have to ask, :greengrin , you keep saying your lads, but i don't think you mean they are your sons for some reason. :greengrin

But if they are your sons then surely they would be to old to play football :greengrin

It is just a " turn of phrase " !
One is the g/son of a cousin , the other is a g/son of a nephew.
I have known the two of them since the day they were born and they both visit my wife and I regularly - hence I call them my boys :greengrin

jdships
12-04-2014, 08:44 AM
The info itself seems to be coming from players if you glance through this thread, so who's to blame, any player discussing his wage with a mate can only be bragging what they make, silly them.

I'm sure you are right but I can only speak for those I know and speak with regular
Personally I don't think it is any of my business what a Hibs player earns any more than my next door neighbour or the lads I golf with.

jdships
12-04-2014, 08:46 AM
I dont believe a word of it, theres some slavering going on in this thread :cb

That's the fun of being a member of a Forum as long as it doesn't get personal :greengrin

jdships
12-04-2014, 08:54 AM
We'd have seen their potential over the course of a season or two then just when they were starting to click and destroy other teams week in week out, they'd have been sold off before you could blink to pay for filling in the corners of our lovely stadium.

:thumbsup::agree:
That is the saddest part when I look back over 74 years of supporting Hibs :agree:
If I had a fiver for every time , over the years ,I have sat in the pub greeting about who was to be /had just been sold I would be a rich man !!!
Before the abolition of the " maximum wage" in '60's there was nothing , financially , to make a player move unless he was simply discontented .
Clubs , officially, had to abide by this rule although we all knew there was " plain brown envelopes" being handed out :greengrin

HoboHarry
12-04-2014, 12:52 PM
So he's not on £3k basic, then? And certainly hasn't earned £3k for a while?
You are being naughty playing with Hibercelona like that. If you just step back you will see him make himself dizzy trying to keep up with himself :greengrin

The Falcon
17-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Sam has signed a deal until 2018.

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Sam has signed a deal until 2018.

Yup, on thruppence a week and all the ginger bottles he can find at the back of the stand.

S'troo... I read it on here.

The Falcon
17-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Yup, on thruppence a week and all the ginger bottles he can find at the back of the stand.

S'troo... I read it on here.

Yip. I wonder if he's aware he's being financially abused.

sleeping giant
17-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Yip. I wonder if he's aware he's being financially abused.

Yip. He read in on here :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UzaOqd8JK8&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw

S4uzee
17-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Yip. He read in on here :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UzaOqd8JK8&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw

They don't half ask some stupid questions on those interviews

truehibernian
17-04-2014, 05:00 PM

Few ex Hearts players were waxing lyrical about their salary to a coach friend of mine, they (players) were quite happy talking about their money coming in and the add on's in their contracts. An ex manager of ours apparently talked openly to a current SPFL manager about his 'pay off' when he was on a coaching course down south - which got relayed back. Loose lips sink ships and let's not kid ourselves that players don't talk to certain folk they maybe 'trust' about their pay. Also factor in agents, some of whom try and drip feed info to gain better deals for clients - as they know the info will be shared and talked about.

That's the bug bear of mine, the money that goes out the game to agents and other parties. Players (in my opinion) should be taught more about finances.

I'd love to tell folk my salary however all my cash goes to ex wives and kids so there's nae point (and nae cash to speak of) :greengrin

truehibernian
17-04-2014, 05:12 PM
They don't half ask some stupid questions on those interviews

Get that wee enthusiastic Irish lad doing some interviews during the pre-season - Hibs TV interviews are dull dull dull !!!

The Green Goblin
18-04-2014, 07:26 PM
:thumbsup::agree:
That is the saddest part when I look back over 74 years of supporting Hibs :agree:
If I had a fiver for every time , over the years ,I have sat in the pub greeting about who was to be /had just been sold I would be a rich man !!!
Before the abolition of the " maximum wage" in '60's there was nothing , financially , to make a player move unless he was simply discontented .
Clubs , officially, had to abide by this rule although we all knew there was " plain brown envelopes" being handed out :greengrin

:agree: It would be great to cultivate a good team and hold it together no matter what for a few years. After 74 years (wow!) it would be nice for you to see it too. :wink:

jdships
18-04-2014, 08:56 PM
:agree: It would be great to cultivate a good team and hold it together no matter what for a few years. After 74 years (wow!) would be nice for you to see it too. it :wink:

Thanks for your kind thoughts after all these years am struggling now to remember the " Famous Five" era but live in hope for even a " Famous Three" in the not too distant future !!!!!!:greengrin:wink:
Interestingly just this morning was speaking with two of my neighbour's , both in their 70's ,both ST holders , and that is exactly what we said
Put a side together that won something ,entertained and made us feel proud of supporting the " Green and White"
Sadly the three of us were brought down to earth when another neighbour ( 40) also a Hibbee said " IF PIGS COULd FLY !!!!!"
We all went home after that :greengrin

Steven_Hibs
18-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Kevin Thomson signed for Dundee Utd. Precontract

Sean1875
18-04-2014, 10:06 PM

Source? Can see that coming back to bite us on the arse if true

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-04-2014, 10:14 PM

Sad if true. Their style of play will suit him and he will show how good a player he is.

monktonharp
18-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Get that wee enthusiastic Irish lad doing some interviews during the pre-season - Hibs TV interviews are dull dull dull !!!that's rubbish. give me an auld "how important do you think a win was" or how delighted are you to sign a new deal" any day:rolleyes:

monktonharp
18-04-2014, 10:20 PM
perfect, just the boost we need for tommorow:grr:

PatHead
18-04-2014, 11:00 PM

I'll let you know if that is true tomorrow/

Del Boy
18-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Fair play to Thomson if he has. Butcher told him he wasn't wanted and he's got himself a move to a better team.

SteveHFC
18-04-2014, 11:50 PM

:boo hoo:

The Green Goblin
19-04-2014, 12:16 AM
I`m sure I read something about KT to Utd some weeks ago on here, but pinches of salt at the time and all that. That would be a move that would suit player and club well, I would have thought.

cleanyman
19-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Rumours he has signed a pre-contract with Dundee United.

Anyone confirm?

Lago
19-04-2014, 11:33 AM

Anyone confirm?
Good news if true.

Capt Mainwaring
19-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Anyone confirm?

Seems to be doing the rounds with Journos on Twitter.

We're allowing an opportunity to pass us by now and for next season. We better hope Tel knows what he's doing eh!

Broken Gnome
19-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Rankin AND Thomson in midfield against us?

Feel haunted already.

3pm
19-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Good news if true.

Aye, brilliant.

Bobby's Cinema
19-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Good news if true.
:rolleyes: No chance.

SaulGoodman
19-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Starts today..

hibsbollah
19-04-2014, 11:42 AM

Anyone confirm?

No great loss. Let the rebuilding commence.

HibbyAndy
19-04-2014, 11:45 AM

My take on it too.

No great loss as he's no getting a game anyway.

Steven_Hibs
19-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Source? Can see that coming back to bite us on the arse if true

Someone close to KT

500miles
19-04-2014, 11:58 AM

Agreed. Butcher wants a DYNAMIC midfield. If that means not having Thomson - who now needs all his running done for him by others - then so be it.

Michael
19-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Butcher's not an idiot. If he was any good he'd be in the team. On the occasions he has played he hasn't been impressive IMO.

AllyF
19-04-2014, 12:08 PM
He'll shine for United no doubt - widely regarded by much of the Hibs team as the best footballer in the squad.

But I agree we need to move on and let Butcher do his thing.

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Butcher's not an idiot. If he was any good he'd be in the team. On the occasions he has played he hasn't been impressive IMO.

He's an idiot for playing Liam Craig in the position Thomson would play, on the occasions Craig has played he's been far from impressive too.

...WentToMowAnSPL
19-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Someone close to KT

His mum ?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-04-2014, 12:14 PM

He is good. The reason he isn't getting much of a game is because of the fall out he had with Malpas when he first arrived.

PeterboroHibee
19-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Thomson would be excellent in that United team, and would be an improvement on both Paton and Rankin imo. Good move for him if true.

Sean1875
19-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Someone close to KT

His Baker?

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Someone close to KT

Maurice Malpas, every time i see him he's always very close?

Lago
19-04-2014, 12:54 PM
He'll shine for United no doubt - widely regarded by much of the Hibs team as the best footballer in the squad.

But I agree we need to move on and let Butcher do his thing.
They well may think he is one of the best but as much of the Hibs team are less than impressive its not much of recommendation.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2014, 01:24 PM

As the Peeve says. Too many hibs.net FACTS :wink:

Wasting your time.

Guys the poster said "identifies" - peeve then agrees he was identified but Mixu had the last word by watching him in a cup game v Clyde or someone.

Rankin was the other RP "identified" at that time - confirmed by JC who didn't want him.

Steven_Hibs
19-04-2014, 03:22 PM
His Baker?

Master Baker :greengrin