PDA

View Full Version : Jackie McNamara...

hibs4thecup1988
09-04-2014, 08:26 AM
DUNDEE United boss Jackie McNamara has launched a stinging attack on Rod Petrie’s player recruitment tactics at former club Hibernian.
McNamara said: “The club is becoming renowned for being stingy with wages and you get what you pay for. There is no lack of ambition within the supporters, but I believe there definitely is at board level.
“I don’t blame Terry (Butcher) but he is in the firing line now, and he knows it.” (Herald)

I agreed with everything he says...

But Former club? :confused:

SQHib
09-04-2014, 08:27 AM

It was jackie Mac Snr that gave the interview.... Scotsman demonstrating it's amazing journalism again !

Hibrandenburg
09-04-2014, 08:30 AM

Sniff sniff! Jackie McNamara snr. Smells like the usual uninformed msm bull****.

KeithTheHibby
09-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Is there anywhere you can get hold of wages paid by teams over the last couple of years? I'm sick of reading we don't pay enough money yet I don't beeline we pay less than the likes of Motherwell, Inverness and Dundee United.
Personally I think we just buy ******.

hibs4thecup1988
09-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Yeah I think you guys are right...

That is terrible journalism

Bayern Bru
09-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Seems they've caught it now.

Jackie McNamara Sr: Hibs “get what they pay for”

FORMER Hibs star Jackie McNamara has launched a stinging attack on Rod Petrie’s player recruitment tactics at former club Hibernian.

oregonhibby
09-04-2014, 08:45 AM
I think it is the way things are done rather than the absolute amount he is talking about. There are so many intermediaries and not just agents that messages to players get mixed up. On individual players I imagine we have lost out Rooney etc because we have paid less than the other club. Overall the paybill will be bigger. We are just poor at getting who is really good and end up paying for makeweights. I would prefer to see one good-un rather than 2 poor-uns. Rooney hit the ground running. Out forwards seem to have trouble finding where the ground is let alone the goal. Two wages on one player - a difficult concept!

J-C
09-04-2014, 09:06 AM
I think it is the way things are done rather than the absolute amount he is talking about. There are so many intermediaries and not just agents that messages to players get mixed up. On individual players I imagine we have lost out Rooney etc because we have paid less than the other club. Overall the paybill will be bigger. We are just poor at getting who is really good and end up paying for makeweights. I would prefer to see one good-un rather than 2 poor-uns. Rooney hit the ground running. Out forwards seem to have trouble finding where the ground is let alone the goal. Two wages on one player - a difficult concept!

I've mentioned this on numerous threads, instead of getting 10 journeymen at £1.5k each, why do we never get 5 very decent players at £3k each, same amount of money but better quality players, you get what you pay for.

Baader
09-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Kind of weakens the journalistic argument when they don't know which Jackie Mac they are dealing with!

marinello59
09-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Kind of weakens the journalistic argument when they don't know which Jackie Mac they are dealing with!

Whenever I hear Jackie Mac mentioned I automatically assume it's Jackie Mac senior. Guess it's an age thing. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2014, 09:21 AM
I've mentioned this on numerous threads, instead of getting 10 journeymen at £1.5k each, why do we never get 5 very decent players at £3k each, same amount of money but better quality players, you get what you pay for.

Have we any proof this is whats happening, Petrie stood up and said there was no wage cap when asked at one of the AGM's? I mean if that was the case, why dont we have many more players than the other teams, most clubs have similar sized squads?

Lmc2105
09-04-2014, 09:23 AM
He spoke on Central FM to Roughie On that football show, you could tell by his voice he was hurting deep down was very passionate in everything he said and he said he knows for a fact where the problem lies, was a really good interview not sure if they have a podcast or not

TheFamous1875
09-04-2014, 09:26 AM

This is the approach I'd prefer. Have the young ones on small wages, the 'imports' on the big wages and have a higher quality of player all round.

I genuinely think that Petrie would be worried that the youngsters would be aggrieved that their older and more experienced teammates would be getting more money, and that in itself would cause us problems. How do you handle that, though? Maybe incentives such as appearance money/goal bonuses are too much of a risk for Petrie incase we're actually successful?

If that were the worry, then in my opinion it's the culture that would be the problem. The young players are getting a career, whereas the older players would be getting paid that bit extra to be here to make the youngsters better players. That's the culture I'd try and cultivate at my club. A core of reliable and experienced leaders to bring the team on. Think Gary Smith, think Beuzelin.

I genuinely think that Petrie is afraid to push the boat out incase the boat does reach it's destination. It's all good setting out in search of India, but getting there's a whole other task with risks and doubts aplenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J-C
09-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Have we any proof this is whats happening, Petrie stood up and said there was no wage cap when asked at one of the AGM's? I mean if that was the case, why dont we have many more players than the other teams, most clubs have similar sized squads?

Not talking about wage caps G, it's just the standard of player we are attracting, far too many journeymen and not enough quality.

J-C
09-04-2014, 09:34 AM
This is the approach I'd prefer. Have the young ones on small wages, the 'imports' on the big wages and have a higher quality of player all round.

I genuinely think that Petrie would be worried that the youngsters would be aggrieved that their older and more experienced teammates would be getting more money, and that in itself would cause us problems. How do you handle that, though? Maybe incentives such as appearance money/goal bonuses are too much of a risk for Petrie incase we're actually successful?

If that were the worry, then in my opinion it's the culture that would be the problem. The young players are getting a career, whereas the older players would be getting paid that bit extra to be here to make the youngsters better players. That's the culture I'd try and cultivate at my club. A core of reliable and experienced leaders to bring the team on. Think Gary Smith, think Beuzelin.

I genuinely think that Petrie is afraid to push the boat out incase the boat does reach it's destination. It's all good setting out in search of India, but getting there's a whole other task with risks and doubts aplenty.

It didn't do the golden generation any harm having players like Sauzee. Latapy etc around when they were coming through and I'm pretty sure these guys weren't paid peanuts.

oneone73
09-04-2014, 09:38 AM

The Herald did. The Scotsman didn't.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
More quality, less quantity please Terry.

mjhibby
09-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Much as fans like to think Petrie is stingy the facts don't bear this out. Our wage bill has constantly been the 4th highest along with aberdeen(before rangers imploded) so what rod has said is actually true. When you think how many players calderwood had you can see Petrie backed the manager. It's not how much we spend but who we spend it on and that surely is the choice of the manager. By all means blame Petrie for things he may have been at fault for but being stingy ain't one of them,much as a lot of fans want to believe this.

Peevemor
09-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Jackie Mac was a hero of mine when I first started going to matches, but since he got emptied along with Duff Jimmy he's rarely had a good word to say abot the club (publicly in any case).

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Not talking about wage caps G, it's just the standard of player we are attracting, far too many journeymen and not enough quality.

I know what you were meaning, i don't think it makes any sense though. Like you i'd prefer your scenario, but Aberdeen dont have 5 players on a big wage supplemented by kids from through the youth team and under 20s.

They brought in a few good professionals there's no doubt about that, and i agree we should be doing the same. Yet we brought in Collins, paid a fee and i'd imagine a high earner, maybe on a par with Rooney?

We brought in Thomson and Robertson, both good SPFL professionals, both on a par with Flood and Robson. In fact the folk who told us Thomson was a superb signing on here were numerous, signing him was a real coup.

Griffiths was brought in for a couple of seasons, he'd be on a decent wage. What i'm trying to say is i believe we have spent decent money, and have paid decent wages, but those players we have bought have not turned out as well as we'd hoped, and the kind of tactics they have been asked to play is also questionable.

And when you supplement it with additional crap like Nelson and McGivern and the likes, you end up with a poor team and a club in decline.

Greencore
09-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Believe me or not I couldn't care less because I know the truth. But remember Jermaine Renne the guy we were going to good in summer. Well we got out bided for him from burton Albion with wages. Hibs couldn't match it apparently.

carnoustiehibee
09-04-2014, 10:07 AM
It's the scouting policy that's been shocking for years, nothing to do with wages.

Greencore
09-04-2014, 10:14 AM
It's the scouting policy that's been shocking for years, nothing to do with wages.

We got out bided from a crappy second third tier English club. YES it is.

seanshow
09-04-2014, 10:21 AM
We signed too many sh*t players, Pat for example liked to give employment to players/staff who were from the island of Ireland, not necessarily the best players available.
One approach to assess how a clubs signing policy is working, is to look at the players that have left the club and what happened to them, off the top of my head there are not many who have left and moved up the ladder so to speak,Osbourne,Vaz Tê,Griffiths.
For each of them, there must be about 50 Gary Deegan's or Shefki Kuqi's who are now playing in the lower leagues or called it a day after playing for us.
I would also love to see a wage breakdown of all the spl teams, and see why we are punching below our weight but generating more income than the majority of other clubs.

I can only concur with what others have said, we need quality over quantity. :aok:

Pray4Marc
09-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Journalists keep going on about this great Aberdeen side, hibs tried to sign Hayes, Robson, Flood and Rooney. We signed zilch, amazingly we offered Flood £800 a week in the summer. Petrie loosening the purse.

carnoustiehibee
09-04-2014, 10:37 AM
We got out bided from a crappy second third tier English club. YES it is.

how much did we miss out by? And how is he getting on in those ****ty lower leagues?

heretoday
09-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Whenever I hear Jackie Mac mentioned I automatically assume it's Jackie Mac senior. Guess it's an age thing. :greengrin

I remember when he was a young Celtic starlet! Then he came to us. He seemed to age pretty quickly then!

silverhibee
09-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Is there anywhere you can get hold of wages paid by teams over the last couple of years? I'm sick of reading we don't pay enough money yet I don't beeline we pay less than the likes of Motherwell, Inverness and Dundee United.
Personally I think we just buy ******.

Here is my thoughts on it Keith, the clubs above probably don't have as big a budget as Hibs, but the clubs above are not going through the amount of players that Hibs seem to go through each season, the clubs above are adding a couple of quality players to there squad each season and will be able to give the players a good wage p/w, where as Hibs seem to go through a new team each season, we are constantly paying players and managers off which comes from the budget and with the big squads we seem to accumulate means that we have to dilute wages to the players we sign, it was rumoured that the lad Doyle who was at Hibs was only on £750p/w basic, probably the main reason he left Hibs, we just don't pay big wages any more to players, 2k is probably our top wage nowadays, we really need to get away from signing 10 players a season or nothing will change at the club, time we started bringing just 3-4 quality signings each season paying them a good wage and hopefully add to the team some young lads that are coming through the youth system, that's the way it should be at Hibs and not signing 10 journeymen each season who don't give a F*** about the club because they may be on a poor wage(in football terms) at the club and don't care where the team finish in the league, sort of like what we have been seeing for the last few seasons.

silverhibee
09-04-2014, 11:38 AM

When did you start believing anything Petrie says. :wink: :greengrin

Ozyhibby
09-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Here is my thoughts on it Keith, the clubs above probably don't have as big a budget as Hibs, but the clubs above are not going through the amount of players that Hibs seem to go through each season, the clubs above are adding a couple of quality players to there squad each season and will be able to give the players a good wage p/w, where as Hibs seem to go through a new team each season, we are constantly paying players and managers off which comes from the budget and with the big squads we seem to accumulate means that we have to dilute wages to the players we sign, it was rumoured that the lad Doyle who was at Hibs was only on £750p/w basic, probably the main reason he left Hibs, we just don't pay big wages any more to players, 2k is probably our top wage nowadays, we really need to get away from signing 10 players a season or nothing will change at the club, time we started bringing just 3-4 quality signings each season paying them a good wage and hopefully add to the team some young lads that are coming through the youth system, that's the way it should be at Hibs and not signing 10 journeymen each season who don't give a F*** about the club because they may be on a poor wage(in football terms) at the club and don't care where the team finish in the league, sort of like what we have been seeing for the last few seasons.

Motherwell and Aberdeen made big changes in the summer.
I agree with your point though.
More quality less quantity.

silverhibee
09-04-2014, 11:48 AM

This happens at every club in the world so it shouldn't be a problem, the young lads should be thinking that once they make it they can see what is there for them if they have the desire to do well in football, i'm pretty sure the young lads have good bonuses added in to there contract if they make it in to the first team or call up to there country for International duty, as they get older they will lose those bonuses but be on better wages.

The pressure is all on Rod Petrie to deliver the players the manager wants for next season.

IWasThere2016
09-04-2014, 11:52 AM
This happens at every club in the world so it shouldn't be a problem, the young lads should be thinking that once they make it they can see what is there for them if they have the desire to do well in football, i'm pretty sure the young lads have good bonuses added in to there contract if they make it in to the first team or call up to there country for International duty, as they get older they will lose those bonuses but be on better wages.

The pressure is all on Rod Petrie to deliver the players the manager wants for next season.

Which will depend on which division we're in, and it's a World Cup year - all the players/agents RP needs to contact will be too busy :cool2: and won't Rodders be in Brazil with the SFA?

silverhibee
09-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Jackie Mac was a hero of mine when I first started going to matches, but since he got emptied along with Duff Jimmy he's rarely had a good word to say abot the club (publicly in any case).

The same is said about Kano as well, Jackie Mac and Kano both ex players and seem to care about the club, just may be these guys no what they are talking about and really do have concerns on how Petrie is running the club, if they thought it was been run properly then they would be praising Petrie, but they don't, guys like them will hear things when they are sitting up in the stand in ER on match day from other folk inside the club, obviously what they are hearing isn't too good and are having there say about it, if they are wrong then let Petrie come out and defend his corner/our club, guys like Kano and JM are good guys and i don't think they are having a go at the club they love just for the sake of it, they genuinely feel something is not right at the club and they are voicing there concerns.

silverhibee
09-04-2014, 12:24 PM

Never been the same since Donald and John Park left the club.

ALF TUPPER
09-04-2014, 12:28 PM

I heard that , ..........pardon

Aye, Me too :agree:

Iggy Pope
09-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Well he is still a hero of mine and as a good Hibby I suppose he can say what he likes.
And he is a good Hibby. this we know for sure. Attends matches, sits in the ***** seats and has done even since all the Duff Jimmy garbage.
There are a lot of supposed good Hibbies on here who publicly bad mouth the club whenever the **** they want, without being asked and possibly across a wider spectrum than the Scotsman offers.

One McNamara. (Although there's clearly two).

Peevemor
09-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Believe me or not I couldn't care less because I know the truth. But remember Jermaine Renne the guy we were going to good in summer. Well we got out bided for him from burton Albion with wages. Hibs couldn't match it apparently.

Well he is still a hero of mine and as a good Hibby I suppose he can say what he likes.
And he is a good Hibby. this we know for sure. Attends matches, sits in the ***** seats and has done even since all the Duff Jimmy garbage.
There are a lot of supposed good Hibbies on here who publicly bad mouth the club whenever the **** they want, without being asked and possibly across a wider spectrum than the Scotsman offers.

One McNamara. (Although there's clearly two).

Fair enough.

Cropley10
09-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Petrie wouldn't give Rooney a permanent contract. Aberdeen did.

oregonhibby
09-04-2014, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't know that. All I know is he was proven. We ways seem to be ponderous and miss key targets.

Cropley10
09-04-2014, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't know that. All I know is he was proven. We ways seem to be ponderous and miss key targets.

Butcher said it recently.

oregonhibby
09-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Well there we are. Can't imaging RP being happy at that. With half a dozen goals we wouldn't be hanging on for dear life now.

GreenLake
09-04-2014, 02:02 PM
It was jackie Mac Snr that gave the interview.... Scotsman demonstrating it's amazing journalism again !

You get what you pay for. The Scotsman must be paying really crap wages for journalists these days. :greengrin

emerald green
09-04-2014, 06:39 PM

I agree with a lot of this, and would just add the following questions. How much money has it cost the club bringing in all those useless loan signings? I exclude the one exception, i.e. Leigh Griffiths. What do we pay when we take a player on loan from another club? All his current club wages, or part of his wages, or what? Who is responsible for the loan signing strategy? Need I ask?

sleeping giant
09-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Petrie will not like the negative publicity aimed at him.
Cash will be splashed imo .

edwards
09-04-2014, 07:07 PM
The same is said about Kano as well, Jackie Mac and Kano both ex players and seem to care about the club, just may be these guys no what they are talking about and really do have concerns on how Petrie is running the club, if they thought it was been run properly then they would be praising Petrie, but they don't, guys like them will hear things when they are sitting up in the stand in ER on match day from other folk inside the club, obviously what they are hearing isn't too good and are having there say about it, if they are wrong then let Petrie come out and defend his corner/our club, guys like Kano and JM are good guys and i don't think they are having a go at the club they love just for the sake of it, they genuinely feel something is not right at the club and they are voicing there concerns.

Was sitting directly behind me in the famous five on Monday and looked as frustrated as the rest of us. no confidence at all and only terry and maurice can install that now. Haynes is back for this weekend and looked dangerous when he arrived and played with handling against Ross County. although some of our build up play was fair at times we couldn't finish off. Aberdeen are a better team than us lets not kid ourselves on, It could have been three at half time the post saved us. Petrie's time must surely be coming to end we have cut corners and bought players who just aren't good enough. We could have had a better team if Petrie was willing to take a chance and the season tickets would have been flying of the shelf. You just have to look at aberdeen and how their crowds have improved.

The Harp Awakes
09-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Much as fans like to think Petrie is stingy the facts don't bear this out. Our wage bill has constantly been the 4th highest along with aberdeen(before rangers imploded) so what rod has said is actually true. When you think how many players calderwood had you can see Petrie backed the manager. It's not how much we spend but who we spend it on and that surely is the choice of the manager. By all means blame Petrie for things he may have been at fault for but being stingy ain't one of them,much as a lot of fans want to believe this.

Do you have published information that proves what you say - that Hibs wage bill is 4th highest along with Aberdeen? I keep hearing this but the evidence suggests otherwise. We seem to continually lose out on reputed targets to other Clubs. Rooney to Aberdeen is the latest example; It was McManus to Motherwell at the start of the season. Willo Flood and Jonny Hayes are other examples. Goodwin of St Mirren opted to stay put - dodged a bullet there though. The straw that broke the camels back for JC was Rod's unwillingness to stump up for Stevie Hammell. The list is endless and we always end up with dross.

Finbar
09-04-2014, 07:37 PM
I agree with a lot of what's being said here about quality over quantity. The team that finished the match on Monday were mostly very young, and I thought imagine that team with Russell Anderson, Barry Robson, Willo Flood and Adam Rooney as the experienced players. That's the sort of players we should be signing.

silverhibee
10-04-2014, 01:08 PM
I agree with a lot of this, and would just add the following questions. How much money has it cost the club bringing in all those useless loan signings? I exclude the one exception, i.e. Leigh Griffiths. What do we pay when we take a player on loan from another club? All his current club wages, or part of his wages, or what? Who is responsible for the loan signing strategy? Need I ask?

I really ain't a fan of bringing players on loan to the club as it very rarely works out, but glad we got Griffiths for so long or this club would be in a even bigger mess if it wasn't for him over the last few seasons.

Rather than bringing in loan players who can't get a game for the club they are it i would rather blood youngsters in to the team.

jacomo
10-04-2014, 01:54 PM

It's a negotiation.

Can't imagine we covered all of LG's Wolves contract.

Lucius Apuleius
10-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Don't recall that name at all at all at all.

HappyHibby93
10-04-2014, 02:10 PM
http://www.centralfm.co.uk/on-air/listen-again/fpi/61330-football-show-8th-april

If anyone's interested, its the whole show.

silverhibee
10-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Petrie will not like the negative publicity aimed at him.
Cash will be splashed imo .

He has too, why would Petrie pay a fortune (in Hibs terms) on getting this management team in to Hibs, and you have to wonder why Butcher left ICT at that time when he could have taken them on to there best season ever in the SPL and at the time was also in both cup competition's, something must have been agreed between Petrie and Butcher on regards what kind of budget would be there to spend on getting new players in to the club this summer and TB is happy with the war chest he has been given.

Or did Rod splash the money on TB MM & SM to improve the team available to him and Rod told them that they always back the manager in the transfer window, maybe Butcher seen the job as a challenge he couldn't turn down and thought he could come in and kick a few backsides and everything would be hunky-dory and he would have this team climbing up the table and have the players jumping through hoops for him, if that was the case then it has backfired big style.

Butcher has already hinted that he has a shopping list of new players he wants to bring in to the club this summer and wants them in for the first day of pre-season.

It's all down to Rod now.

jakeshibs
10-04-2014, 02:55 PM

I tend to agree with you!

The Falcon
10-04-2014, 03:00 PM

You have to wonder why he didn't fix it when he was here with Duffy. The two of them left us in a terrible state.

The Green Goblin
10-04-2014, 03:06 PM
He has too, why would Petrie pay a fortune (in Hibs terms) on getting this management team in to Hibs, and you have to wonder why Butcher left ICT at that time when he could have taken them on to there best season ever in the SPL and at the time was also in both cup competition's, something must have been agreed between Petrie and Butcher on regards what kind of budget would be there to spend on getting new players in to the club this summer and TB is happy with the war chest he has been given.

Or did Rod splash the money on TB MM & SM to improve the team available to him and Rod told them that they always back the manager in the transfer window, maybe Butcher seen the job as a challenge he couldn't turn down and thought he could come in and kick a few backsides and everything would be hunky-dory and he would have this team climbing up the table and have the players jumping through hoops for him, if that was the case then it has backfired big style.

Butcher has already hinted that he has a shopping list of new players he wants to bring in to the club this summer and wants them in for the first day of pre-season.

The question might become, what will TB do if RP fails to give him what he wants/needs to get those players in for pre-season? If that happens, my guess is that he would walk and not hide why he was walking.

Deansy
10-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Never been the same since Donald and John Park left the club.

Agree 100% !

sleeping giant
10-04-2014, 11:45 PM

Yip . Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I've been saying it for a while. I think we will see an influx of players in the McLiesh proportions and to be honest , i'm *****g excited about it.
In my heart of hearts , i think Butcher will spend very wisely even though i can't see us getting a Sauzee but i believe he will get players who buy into his philosophy. ICT had us on toast during his tenure and i'm looking forward to him bringing this mentality to Hibs.

gorgie greens
11-04-2014, 04:56 AM
Yip . Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I've been saying it for a while. I think we will see an influx of players in the McLiesh proportions and to be honest , i'm *****g excited about it.
In my heart of hearts , i think Butcher will spend very wisely even though i can't see us getting a Sauzee but i believe he will get players who buy into his philosophy. ICT had us on toast during his tenure and i'm looking forward to him bringing this mentality to Hibs.

The fans are turning already and if things get any worse and we end up in the playoff feel we could be on the hunt for a new management team ,time that's in place .time the new guys start to sign new players and the dross that we have at Easter Road will still be here and the window will be closing. Dejavu

Kaiser1962
11-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Do you have published information that proves what you say - that Hibs wage bill is 4th highest along with Aberdeen?

He doesn't because it's not. Might be fourth now though with the Yams going bump.

lord bunberry
11-04-2014, 10:39 AM
He doesn't because it's not. Might be fourth now though with the Yams going bump.
Who does or did have the 4th biggest budget then, I remember Petrie saying in an interview that the hibs manager had the biggest budget outside the old firm and the charity thieves.

Peevemor
11-04-2014, 11:23 AM

When the Sky TV deal went tits up, Hibs were the first SPL team to start drastically reducing their player budget (Blobby era). Other teams eventually followed suit but not without landing themselves in the keech (Dundee, Livingston, Motherwell, etc.) Since then we've been paying out the same as Aberdeen (with maybe a £100k-200k swing either way. The only clubs who have recently spent more than Hibs and Aberdeen are the uglies and the yams (also ugly).

Kaiser1962
11-04-2014, 11:56 AM
When the Sky TV deal went tits up, Hibs were the first SPL team to start drastically reducing their player budget (Blobby era). Other teams eventually followed suit but not without landing themselves in the keech (Dundee, Livingston, Motherwell, etc.) Since then we've been paying out the same as Aberdeen (with maybe a £100k-200k swing either way. The only clubs who have recently spent more than Hibs and Aberdeen are the uglies and the yams (also ugly).

That was in 2002-2003 and we were already recognising that we were in deep doo doo and Straiton was raising its head again. Aberdeen and our wage bills and income are not hugely different (and a stable Hearts would be very similar) but Aberdeen usually edge it although last season I recall the difference was into seven figures.

WeeRussell
11-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Jackie Snr definitely still holds the club close to his heart.. in fact I believe he is "hibs daft"!

A friend of mine went to look at his house a while back with a view to possibly buying. He told me as soon as he revealed he was a Hibby the formal chat was dropped and Jackie was wall excited talking Hibs... I think he said the auld fellae even poured him a whiskey and showed him a 'Hibs/footy room.' :flag: