PDA

View Full Version : THIS is where Hibernian Football Club is at:

TheFamous1875
08-04-2014, 07:58 PM
http://youtu.be/fjfLiXLWZz8

Mr Petrie, Mr Butcher, Mr Farmer. You're on a loss. The lifeblood of our football club is the fans and our young fans are not interested. They're even bringing BOOKS to games, anticipating the boredom and frustration on show.

When I was a young boy in the 90s, we didn't have the best team, but we had some players. Keith Wright, Darren Jackson and Kevin Harper were my heroes. We were relegated, and with relegation I came of age as a Hibs fan, with incredible players such as Russell Latapy and Franck Sauzee to fawn over as I fell more in love with my football club. Kenny Miller, David Zitelli, Ulrik Laursen, John O'Neil. These were my favourite players.

There was a standard expected, even when I was a kid. We won derbies, we always gave The Old Firm a run for their money or we bet them! All of this is now gone. Up until the last few years, we've always had heroes on the park. Derek Riordan, Scott Brown, David Murphy, Steven Fletcher, Rob Jones, Anthony Stokes, Leigh Griffiths. These players are the ones that the young fans idolise just like I idolised Latapy as a kid. There nothing like that now. It's all gone.

The club have let the standards drop so much over the years. We've not always been good, but we've always had a goalscorer. We've always had a hero.

For the future generation of Hibernian fans, therefore the future of this football club, this summer, and these next two years are imperative.

Back Butcher. Let him build his team. You have a proven manager with a proven history of unearthing gems on a limited budget. Even more limited than ours. Give him every chance to get us back to where I and the generations of fans before my own feel we inherently belong.

If kids are bringing books(!) to the stadium, then it won't be long until they're old enough to decide for themselves to read in the warmth of their homes instead of the cold, empty stands of Easter Road.

eggbamyasi
08-04-2014, 08:03 PM

Mr Petrie, Mr Butcher, Mr Farmer. You're on a loss. The lifeblood of our football club is the fans and our young fans are not interested. They're even bringing BOOKS to games, anticipating the boredom and frustration on show.

When I was a young boy in the 90s, we didn't have the best team, but we had some players. Keith Wright, Darren Jackson and Kevin Harper were my heroes. We were relegated, and with relegation I came of age as a Hibs fan, with incredible players such as Russell Latapy and Franck Sauzee to fawn over as I fell more in love with my football club. Kenny Miller, David Zitelli, Ulrik Laursen, John O'Neil. These were my favourite players.

There was a standard expected, even when I was a kid. We won derbies, we always gave The Old Firm a run for their money or we bet them! All of this is now gone. Up until the last few years, we've always had heroes on the park. Derek Riordan, Scott Brown, David Murphy, Steven Fletcher, Rob Jones, Anthony Stokes, Leigh Griffiths. These players are the ones that the young fans idolise just like I idolised Latapy as a kid. There nothing like that now. It's all gone.

The club have let the standards drop so much over the years. We've not always been good, but we've always had a goalscorer. We've always had a hero.

For the future generation of Hibernian fans, therefore the future of this football club, this summer, and these next two years are imperative.

Back Butcher. Let him build his team. You have a proven manager with a proven history of unearthing gems on a limited budget. Even more limited than ours. Give him every chance to get us back to where I and the generations of fans before my own feel we inherently belong.

If kids are bringing books(!) to the stadium, then it won't be long until they're old enough to decide for themselves to read in the warmth of their homes instead of the cold, empty stands of Easter Road.

Good post . I agree totally

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Stax
08-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Very well worded & thought out post, agree with this 100%

emerald green
08-04-2014, 09:13 PM

Careful pal, or you'll be getting slaughtered for being "negative". :wink:

Michael
08-04-2014, 09:21 PM
If we at least tried to play decent football it might not seem so bad.

I mean, the players might be crap, but they're still professional footballers. They must have some ability. Maybe.

The Green Goblin
08-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Good post and I can relate to much of it. I don't think anything will change until those in charge of the club either leave or admit that something's wrong.

Sean1875
08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
:agree: was always a player when you were having a kick about in the park with your mates that you'd score a goal then run off screaming their name like it was them that just scored, putting myself back to that age with this team and I cant think of any players I would feel that attachment to. Sad really.

Hermit Crab
08-04-2014, 09:58 PM

Did you email that to the club? If not then please do. My only worry is that it won't be given the time of day by the board. Good post. :top marks

Casper
08-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Great post! Can totally relate. I've had my 6yr old boy at the games for the last couple seasons. Most games these days, he wants to leave early because we're losing again. Heading to the game is a different matter though, he's passionate about Hibs, it's his team and he wants to see them win. Therefore, he never refuses the opportunity to go. His enthusiasm wont last forever though. He needs that hero, someone to give him hope when the inevitable happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
08-04-2014, 10:45 PM

:top marks Great post, reading that really hits home how far we've fallen in such a relatively short time.

rcarter1
08-04-2014, 10:47 PM

Great post. And nice to hear that Butcher should be given the opportunity to build the team. But Petrie, you heard the man, BACK HIM!!

Spudster
08-04-2014, 10:52 PM

The wages of the players listed crippled the club for years and aside from Keith not one of them won us a cup.

Kaff
08-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Great post! Can totally relate. I've had my 6yr old boy at the games for the last couple seasons. Most games these days, he wants to leave early because we're losing again. Heading to the game is a different matter though, he's passionate about Hibs, it's his team and he wants to see them win. Therefore, he never refuses the opportunity to go. His enthusiasm wont last forever though. He needs that hero, someone to give him hope when the inevitable happens.

Good post. That's where I'm at with my two. They love the Hibees Family and all that but now Super Leigh has gone it's a bit flat on match day without a bit of on pitch excitement. We can do it though, doesn't take much the transformation between Blobby and TM was almost instant. Hopefully TB bringing in half a dozen in close season will have similar effect

Bayern Bru
08-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Top post., you overly-positive scoundrel. :greengrin:top marks

Casper
08-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Good post. That's where I'm at with my two. They love the Hibees Family and all that but now Super Leigh has gone it's a bit flat on match day without a bit of on pitch excitement. We can do it though, doesn't take much the transformation between Blobby and TM was almost instant. Hopefully TB bringing in half a dozen in close season will have similar effect

I hope so, thats what I've been telling him "don't worry son, TB's gonna bring in a new team in the summer. There'll be no stopping us then"

monktonharp
08-04-2014, 11:27 PM

good post. don't send a copy to rtt.bot., whoever he/she is they don't seem to have any real contact/feel for the fans anymore, just refer you to all the nicey nicey things on the main club forum

ManBearPig
09-04-2014, 02:40 AM

We must be of similar age! I agree wholeheartedly it feels like we have nothing to shout about very tough to be a hibby these days

Weststandwanab
09-04-2014, 05:36 AM
Superb opening post- I could not agree more.

Good post and I can relate to much of it. I don't think anything will change until those in charge of the club either leave or admit that something's wrong.

Your second point in essence is what is wrong, the Board fail to acknowledge there is anything wrong

Did you email that to the club? If not then please do. My only worry is that it won't be given the time of day by the board. Good post. :top marksIf you did it will be filed under D for don't care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk My son is the same and constantly asks why Hibs always play the ball backwards

AndyM_1875
09-04-2014, 06:20 AM
Superb opening post- I could not agree more.

My son is the same and constantly asks why Hibs always play the ball backwards

Can't disagree with any of the above. My wee one is 4 and my mates have asked if I'm going to bring her along. My reaction shamed me "why? She'll say its cold & boring. She'll see the fans are angry and the team never wins so good luck selling that to the younger generation"

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I really want to get my wee nephew involved with Hibs, I don't think he deserves to be subjected to whats currently on offer though. I believe theres an increasing disconnect between the fans in general and the players which isnae helping the malaise we currently find ourselves in. I know I'm finding it increasingly difficult to identify with any of them, maybe its just an age thing, Who knows?

Onceinawhile
09-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Although it's a well typed out post, unfortunately the majority of it doesn't really make any sense.

"We've always had goalscorers or heroes, but that's been let slip over the years."

Yet you've quoted sparky as one of these and he only left 10 months ago.

You complain about us having always had players, yet some of those players played when we were in the play offs then relegated. Hardly a glowing reference.

Between sauzee, latapy, o'neill et al we managed one third placed finish. Same with the "golden generation" other than that it was usually sixth or lower.

the idea also that we always gave the old firm a run for their money and uses to regularly win derbys (a three year period aside) is also far fetched.

Essentially what your post boils down to is two things:

1) you growing older and realising that the players on the pitch aren't idols. They are adults doing a job. Just like you.

2) the young lad in the stand not being quite as indoctrinated as you.

This isn't aimed as a criticism btw, and I had exactly the same hibs up bringing, but I'm afraid it's mostly age, not the standard of football (though it does play a small part) that's the problem.

Leithenhibby
09-04-2014, 08:29 PM

Perhaps the wee guy was just catching up on his home work... Just saying :wink:

TheFamous1875
09-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Although it's a well typed out post, unfortunately the majority of it doesn't really make any sense.

"We've always had goalscorers or heroes, but that's been let slip over the years."

Yet you've quoted sparky as one of these and he only left 10 months ago.

Gradually over the years, the amount of heroes has receded rapidly. It seems to have concluded with Sparky. This season, the notion of 'fan favourite' ceases to exist. Presently we have nothing on the field to engage the next generation of fans' imaginations and keep them coming back for more. The club IS the fans - without the fans, we're nothing.

You complain about us having always had players, yet some of those players played when we were in the play offs then relegated. Hardly a glowing reference.

We did have players. We didn't have a good enough team (I stress) to compete, but we had players who could entertain and enthral an impressionable young fan by scoring some great goals, beating their opponents to a ball, or going past them on an attack.

We didn't win everything, but we were entertained. I was young enough and naive enough to not know if someone wasn't pulling their weight or not (a pun too worthy of Barry Lavety who, for the record I was also a fan of as a seven year old).

Like I said, Hibs weren't the best team at the time, and by the time we did get relegated we were beyond honking. However, for a young boy like the one I was at the time, I saw goals and runs and passes and that's all I needed. I had no higher knowledge of football other than scoring goals, making good passes and making good runs. These things happened back then. It's just a shame that there was a huge dearth of every other thing needed to compete properly (not that I knew that at the time).

Between sauzee, latapy, o'neill et al we managed one third placed finish. Same with the "golden generation" other than that it was usually sixth or lower.

The 2000/01 season was one of the best seasons that I can remember. The football, the strips, the new badge - as a 10 year old I genuinely believed we were the best team in Scotland (I had a bad habit of conceiting that Henrik Larsson was just a figment of my imagination and that no striker was actually that good - and if they were, as was my love all things Hibs, they were of course nothing compared to David Zitelli!)

The point is, I was a kid. I didn't know that the Old Firm were that much stronger we'd never win the league. I didn't know that the good times don't last forever. Regardless of league placings, I was sold. In those formative years we were great to watch and I was proud to be a Hibee. I was entertained. That's the basis of my love for this football club (and my father's and my grandfather's).

the idea also that we always gave the old firm a run for their money and uses to regularly win derbys (a three year period aside) is also far fetched.

That three year period was my coming-of-age as a Hibs fan. To this day I conceit that they've never, ever been better than us. Everyone slightly older than me or slightly younger than me has a different view point understandably, but at that time I don't think they ever beat us (under McLeish if anyone wants to check if I'm accurate).

When I was a teenager, the Golden Generation always gave The Old Firm a run for their money. We beat both of them at least once a season in Glasgow (I may be misinformed). My memory of that period was that we played football, we never gave up, and if we lost it wasn't down to a lack of effort/ability. At least that's how I remember it.

To this day, all I ask is that our players TRY and play football, go in hard for every tackle, get in your opponents faces and not give up until the last blade of grass has been graced - much in opposition to the current regime these kids are becoming aquatinted with (sans Lewis Stevenson - what a player he'd be in a good team!)

Essentially what your post boils down to is two things:

1) you growing older and realising that the players on the pitch aren't idols. They are adults doing a job. Just like you.

No, that wasn't my intention. The point I was trying to make is that I like many others on this forum had reasons for falling in love with this football club. These kids (as evident in the video) for the last few years have had very little to reel them in, to excite them and keep them coming back for more.

I realised a long, long time ago that the players I admired were just adults doing a job. That's part and parcel of ageing and discovering the cynicism of life and business. When I was a kid I didn't have the know-how I do now, but I'll never forget the football club that I love. The players and the style that we played football in. The club that entertained me up until about 6 years ago. That's my club.

This nadir we currently reside in may be upsetting to indoctrinated fans like myself, but for this to be someone's formative years is far more poisonous to our club than our sporadic though ever increasing grievances ever will be.

My overarching point is if we, as a football club are so bereft of entertainment that young kids are bringing BOOKS to the stadium, than I really doubt they want to be there, and would probably not endeavour to bring their own children and friends to the stadium in the future - thus financially weakening the club and having less chance of success/interest. All of Sir Tom Farmer and Rod Petrie's good work will be in vain.

2) the young lad in the stand not being quite as indoctrinated as you.

That's my point. We need our next generation of fans to be interested and passionate about the club in order to survive and strive towards success. The reason he's not as indoctrinated as me and you is because he's probably not had enough great times at Easter Road as we have.

On Monday night I heard a very young voice from the back of Section 42 shout "get Griffiths to take it" when we had a free kick. That, coupled with the video was my inspiration for writing this post.

This isn't aimed as a criticism btw, and I had exactly the same hibs up bringing, but I'm afraid it's mostly age, not the standard of football (though it does play a small part) that's the problem.

The point of my post is that supporting a club is something that is indoctrinated from a young age and the current generation of young fans don't have very much if anything to subscribe to. The club is failing as it's losing future customers, meaning there's less chance of success.

The video clip encapsulates mine and I'm sure a lot of other concerned fans' worst nightmare. We're heading to an increasingly precarious and negative future at a rapid rate. There are no redeeming qualities to cling on to as a Hibs fan, and this has to change very quickly.

We've made a potentially massive step with our acquired management team, and it is imperative that we capitalise on this chance. We have a reputed management team, some good players with potential and a completed infrastructure in the shade of the fraudulent demise of our competitors - this is the essential time to capitalise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheFamous1875
09-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Perhaps the wee guy was just catching up on his home work... Just saying :wink:

Nae excuse! He needs leathered over the heid wae a Chic Charnley DVD!

The Green Goblin
10-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Gradually over the years, the amount of heroes has receded rapidly. It seems to have concluded with Sparky. This season, the notion of 'fan favourite' ceases to exist. Presently we have nothing on the field to engage the next generation of fans' imaginations and keep them coming back for more. The club IS the fans - without the fans, we're nothing.

We did have players. We didn't have a good enough team (I stress) to compete, but we had players who could entertain and enthral an impressionable young fan by scoring some great goals, beating their opponents to a ball, or going past them on an attack.

We didn't win everything, but we were entertained. I was young enough and naive enough to not know if someone wasn't pulling their weight or not (a pun too worthy of Barry Lavety who, for the record I was also a fan of as a seven year old).

Like I said, Hibs weren't the best team at the time, and by the time we did get relegated we were beyond honking. However, for a young boy like the one I was at the time, I saw goals and runs and passes and that's all I needed. I had no higher knowledge of football other than scoring goals, making good passes and making good runs. These things happened back then. It's just a shame that there was a huge dearth of every other thing needed to compete properly (not that I knew that at the time).

The 2000/01 season was one of the best seasons that I can remember. The football, the strips, the new badge - as a 10 year old I genuinely believed we were the best team in Scotland (I had a bad habit of conceiting that Henrik Larsson was just a figment of my imagination and that no striker was actually that good - and if they were, as was my love all things Hibs, they were of course nothing compared to David Zitelli!)

The point is, I was a kid. I didn't know that the Old Firm were that much stronger we'd never win the league. I didn't know that the good times don't last forever. Regardless of league placings, I was sold. In those formative years we were great to watch and I was proud to be a Hibee. I was entertained. That's the basis of my love for this football club (and my father's and my grandfather's).

That three year period was my coming-of-age as a Hibs fan. To this day I conceit that they've never, ever been better than us. Everyone slightly older than me or slightly younger than me has a different view point understandably, but at that time I don't think they ever beat us (under McLeish if anyone wants to check if I'm accurate).

When I was a teenager, the Golden Generation always gave The Old Firm a run for their money. We beat both of them at least once a season in Glasgow (I may be misinformed). My memory of that period was that we played football, we never gave up, and if we lost it wasn't down to a lack of effort/ability. At least that's how I remember it.

To this day, all I ask is that our players TRY and play football, go in hard for every tackle, get in your opponents faces and not give up until the last blade of grass has been graced - much in opposition to the current regime these kids are becoming aquatinted with (sans Lewis Stevenson - what a player he'd be in a good team!)

No, that wasn't my intention. The point I was trying to make is that I like many others on this forum had reasons for falling in love with this football club. These kids (as evident in the video) for the last few years have had very little to reel them in, to excite them and keep them coming back for more.

I realised a long, long time ago that the players I admired were just adults doing a job. That's part and parcel of ageing and discovering the cynicism of life and business. When I was a kid I didn't have the know-how I do now, but I'll never forget the football club that I love. The players and the style that we played football in. The club that entertained me up until about 6 years ago. That's my club.

This nadir we currently reside in may be upsetting to indoctrinated fans like myself, but for this to be someone's formative years is far more poisonous to our club than our sporadic though ever increasing grievances ever will be.

My overarching point is if we, as a football club are so bereft of entertainment that young kids are bringing BOOKS to the stadium, than I really doubt they want to be there, and would probably not endeavour to bring their own children and friends to the stadium in the future - thus financially weakening the club and having less chance of success/interest. All of Sir Tom Farmer and Rod Petrie's good work will be in vain.

That's my point. We need our next generation of fans to be interested and passionate about the club in order to survive and strive towards success. The reason he's not as indoctrinated as me and you is because he's probably not had enough great times at Easter Road as we have.

On Monday night I heard a very young voice from the back of Section 42 shout "get Griffiths to take it" when we had a free kick. That, coupled with the video was my inspiration for writing this post.

The point of my post is that supporting a club is something that is indoctrinated from a young age and the current generation of young fans don't have very much if anything to subscribe to. The club is failing as it's losing future customers, meaning there's less chance of success.

The video clip encapsulates mine and I'm sure a lot of other concerned fans' worst nightmare. We're heading to an increasingly precarious and negative future at a rapid rate. There are no redeeming qualities to cling on to as a Hibs fan, and this has to change very quickly.

We've made a potentially massive step with our acquired management team, and it is imperative that we capitalise on this chance. We have a reputed management team, some good players with potential and a completed infrastructure in the shade of the fraudulent demise of our competitors - this is the essential time to capitalise.

What a post that is!!! One of the very best I have ever read on here imho. You should put that all in a letter and send it to the club. I really hope you do.

JMac
10-04-2014, 02:00 AM
I have a season ticket this season, just like I've had one for the last 10 or so years. Never have I seen a team as bad as we are now. I choose not to go to the games, even if I have nothing to do that day. I would rather not go even though I've paid for it. That's how bad we are.

weecounty hibby
11-04-2014, 08:11 AM

Great second post to follow up you first brilliant post. I agree 100% and hope that those who run our club get to read this. I'm not sure that it would matter though as i don't think they share your passion for the club. I genuinely fear that if we continue as we are we will end up as a club with a fantastic stadium with dwindling fan base and no resources to fund better players.
In many respects we are at a massive crossroads. When you read on here about ST holders who cant be bothered going as things are so bad, how do we expect to attract and keep new fans. RP MUST give TB the funds to compete next season. No Huns, no Jambos next year means we have to be competing at the top end or it will be another season of failure.
Again great post and I feel pretty much word for word the same as you

Phil D. Rolls
11-04-2014, 08:18 AM

When doffing forelock, Sir Tom is the correct form of address.

Did you like Pokemon too?

There was a standard expected, even when I was a kid. (Cue Hovis music) We won derbies, we always gave The Old Firm a run for their money or we bet them! All of this is now gone. Up until the last few years, we've always had heroes on the park. Derek Riordan, Scott Brown, David Murphy, Steven Fletcher, Rob Jones, Anthony Stokes, Leigh Griffiths. These players are the ones that the young fans idolise just like I idolised Latapy as a kid. There nothing like that now. It's all gone.

maybe you have mate, but there's been some awful periods as well.

Proven where, and for how long?

Kids used to bring Pokemon cards, football stickers, and fireworks to ease their boredom.
Some like going, some do it under sufferance.

There is no doubt about the club being in a mess now, but your historical perspective seems to be clouded by dewy eyed nostalgia. We were always expected to push the Old Firm - yeah like during Rangers nine in a row.

Craig_in_Prague
11-04-2014, 08:38 AM
I have a season ticket this season, just like I've had one for the last 10 or so years. Never have I seen a team as bad as we are now. I choose not to go to the games, even if I have nothing to do that day. I would rather not go even though I've paid for it. That's how bad we are.

Sad to hear, but completely understandable.

After about 2 mins into the Derby at the PBS, I regretted not spending the day with my family instead of standing there freezing, suffering the same old rubbish.

I hope we stay up and TB gets a team on the park we can relate to and be proud of next season.

the last 5-6 years have been horrific. I keep thinking it can't get worse but it does. Now relegation is a big possibility, which is just disgusting, with a doomed hearts and no huns around. Sad state of affairs.

WHUHibs
11-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Sad to hear, but completely understandable.

After about 2 mins into the Derby at the PBS, I regretted not spending the day with my family instead of standing there freezing, suffering the same old rubbish.

I hope we stay up and TB gets a team on the park we can relate to and be proud of next season.

the last 5-6 years have been horrific. I keep thinking it can't get worse but it does. Now relegation is a big possibility, which is just disgusting, with a doomed hearts and no huns around. Sad state of affairs.

Might be sad Craig but I have just left Prague after 2 days of cold and the sun was shining on the way to the airport:-) The Sparta stadium looked a little dated? We just agreed artificial pitches for a new stadium in Bratislava ,,,might be coming to Prague anyway soon,,,just kidding but there is a lot of money being spent in Slovakia upgrading facilities..

Just on nostalgia I have seen more ups and downs than I care to remember following Hibs and in that fateful day when Stevie Brown from Bilston hit the post in the cup final. We should have won against Rangers and eventually lost after replays should have set the scene for my misery....I always live in hope but sadly I think that is misplaced and this is as bad as it's gets at the moment!

emerald green
11-04-2014, 09:11 AM

You are probably far from being the only one who feels like this and doesn't go to games, having paid for a season ticket. Sad, and very worrying times for our club.