PDA

View Full Version : What more can Petrie do??

sauzee6_2
08-04-2014, 07:43 PM
To my knowledge the role of a chairman is to run the football club and support the football manager.

Nobody can deny that as a business Hibs are one of the most successful in the country, other clubs are jealous of our infrastructure and facilities, Mr Petrie must take the credit for this.

As for the football side, just think of how many players we have had over the last 5 or 6 years, Mr Petrie has backed every manager, including Butcher! On top of that he has also been able to move on some of the dross we gave been left with from previous managers, to be fair very few have sat on their contracts and let them run down, Petrie must again take credit for this.

I certainly don't buy the argument that he has appointed poor managers, 99% of fans have been happy with the appointments when they started so their pedigree is not the reason it did not work out for them at ER.

So again I ask, what more can he do? Seems very short sighted to be calling for his head. If i was Mr Farmer conducting his appraisal, I can't see too much he has done wrong!

I accept something must be wrong, however seems an easy option to blame Petrie straight away and not look for the root cause.

Hermit Crab
08-04-2014, 07:47 PM
To my knowledge the role of a chairman is to run the football club and support the football manager.

Nobody can deny that as a business Hibs are one of the most successful in the country, other clubs are jealous of our infrastructure and facilities, Mr Petrie must take the credit for this.

As for the football side, just think of how many players we have had over the last 5 or 6 years, Mr Petrie has backed every manager, including Butcher! On top of that he has also been able to move on some of the dross we gave been left with from previous managers, to be fair very few have sat on their contracts and let them run down, Petrie must again take credit for this.

I certainly don't buy the argument that he has appointed poor managers, 99% of fans have been happy with the appointments when they started so their pedigree is not the reason it did not work out for them at ER.

So again I ask, what more can he do? Seems very short sighted to be calling for his head. If i was Mr Farmer conducting his appraisal, I can't see too much he has done wrong!

I accept something must be wrong, however seems an easy option to blame Petrie straight away and not look for the root cause.

A successful business does not lose more customers than it gains every year.

He he can walk away.

Cropley10
08-04-2014, 07:50 PM

Teams in the SPL and the League below will be praying he stays.

That's all you need to know.

HiBremian
08-04-2014, 07:58 PM
The hierarchy structure is the problem.

He needs to accept that Hibs should be led by someone who understands the game, ie a Sports Director rather than a Chartered Accountant. The Tache can always stick to looking after the books.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pontius pilate
08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
He can support the manager properly by getting the 1st choice targets that they ask for. He can lay the foundations from the top by coming out and saying this is what we as a club will accept as a minimum. Ie top 4 semi final of both cups we will support the manager at all times this is the direction that the club is going. What is the clubs ethos and come out and tell us the fans what this 5 year plan is thats been ongoing for the last 7 years. If he cant be open and honest and do that then maybe its time to step aside and bring in a football man to handle this and concentrate on what he is good at.

Onion
08-04-2014, 08:11 PM

If everyone accepts there's something wrong, and there's a root cause somewhere, then it is Petrie's job to find it (no one else's). We therefor have to conclude he's either

1. found it and done nothing about it
2. tried to find it and couldn't
3. hasn't bothered looking

After 7 straight years of football failure, none of these are acceptable.

RIP Bestie
08-04-2014, 08:14 PM
There is no bigger backer of Petrie than me. However, like it or not, he has appointed these managers regardless of what the fans think. He has to be accountable for their failings just as the manager is accountable for his players failings. Petrie has made far too many cheap appointments for the role of Manager, probably hoping to unearth another Mowbray. Some will argue that this "Dream Team" wasn't a cheap option but it was in my opinion. We have been programmed over the years to accept mediocrity when maybe a release of the purse strings for a higher quality candidate may have been the way forward.
Petrie really needs to step aside from the football side of the club, concentrate on the financial side and get someone in who knows the game and can make more reasoned decisions for the footballing side of the business. He certainly should not be involved in selecting Butchers replacement.

Northernhibee
08-04-2014, 08:16 PM
We consistantly miss out on our key transfer targets, our footfall is dropping, the circles in which we compete are getting smaller and smaller and we consistently underachieve.

No business could count that as a success.

johnbc70
08-04-2014, 08:17 PM
He is at the top so needs to be leader and an inspiration to others. We need someone who has some panache and 'presence' about them. I don't see any of that in him. While he still owns shares I a guessing he will still be around and maybe he does have a role but not as chairman.

I would offer John Collins the role of Director of Football or something along those lines. Or if not JC due to his history then it has to be someone who knows what it takes to succeed at the top.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Had to :greengrin - http://www.hibs.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12397&stc=1&d=1396988965

Eyrie
08-04-2014, 08:36 PM
He could resign.

He's been in charge at Easter Road and involved at the SFA for that long that he is a much a "football man" as anyone we could appoint. He's backed the managers he's appointed and overhauled the infrastructure whilst keeping us solvent.

But what we need is someone who can provide leadership off the pitch and do a better job of promoting and defending the club.