PDA

View Full Version : Do people here truly understand how disastrous relegation would be?

California-Hibs
08-04-2014, 05:20 PM
I've read some very strange things on here over the past while. Alot of folk have stated that they 'are not bothered about being relegated', that it could be 'a good thing for the club and the shake up it needs' etc etc.

Relegation would cripple us. Especially with Hearts and Rangers in there next season!

Do we really want to become a team who offers even less money for players (Yes, even that IS possible) and in turn watches even poorer performances from the team?!

Do we really want to become a team that will lose millions in revenue, and having 4-5k at Easter Road each week?!

Do we really want to become a team that has a huge chance of staying stuck in the championship for YEARS?!

These are just some of the things that have a huge chance of coming to pass due to relegation, the list truly goes on.
We simply CAN'T get relegated, we need to back the team to the hilt in the remaining 5 games. Do they deserve it? Hell no. We just need to pray that by showing encouragement from the stands that we can drag these players over the finish line. Theres no delusion here, I know as good as any other Hibee just how bad these players, but we bottom line is that going down isn't an option.

Pack that stand in Paisley.

Golden Bear
08-04-2014, 05:22 PM
I think we do but I'm not so sure about the "playing" staff.

greenpaper55
08-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Relegation would be a disaster financially and there would not be an easy way out like the last time when we had cash to buy Sauzee etc, time to keep fingers lega and everything else crossed.

hibsbollah
08-04-2014, 05:36 PM
We won't have 4000 at ER each week. We have a hardcore of 7000 that will stick it out in the second tier, my opinion.

The rest of your post is mostly conjecture. Unless you KNOW how much we'll actually lose?

I will regularly attend games no matter what division we play in. I'm more interested in the 'matchday experience' as the cliche goes, and whether three hours out of my life on a Saturday feels worthwhile. At the moment, not being able to pay for players like James Collins or Liam Craig doesnt seem like the end of the world.

Bob Box Fish
08-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Not promoting relegation in anyway but when we were in the first division last time we had decent home crowds and away following.

I remember going to Falkirk away and having to go in the Falkirk end due to Hibs end being sold out. I also remember there being around 15k at home vs Raith rovers.

If we went down and were doing well we would be averaging bigger crowds than we are now with rangers and hearts in the league.

KiddA
08-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Yes of course it would be a disaster but it is going to happen sooner or later. Hibs are rotten to the core and a change in leadership at the top is required this club needs to change from top to bottom. The club is in a truly dire state right now and does not look like changing anytime in the future. Yes we can hope we stay up and TB changes the playing staff but nothing is going to change, it will be the same next year just like the past 4 years same #### different season. We can only hope that something will change at the top but it hasn't in so long so probably be the same again :rolleyes:

Onion
08-04-2014, 06:01 PM
I think we do but I'm not so sure about the "playing" staff.

That playing staff are transients - here today, picking up a wage somewhere else tomorrow. We appear to have few players who genuinely want to be at Hibs. The majority are weak-minded individuals who are unable too hack it.

Relegation will not be their problem - but it WILL be Butchers. Which makes you wonder if some of them are privately relishing the thought of relegating Hibs & Butcher as a leaving present.

emerald green
08-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Not promoting relegation in anyway but when we were in the first division last time we had decent home crowds and away following.

I remember going to Falkirk away and having to go in the Falkirk end due to Hibs end being sold out. I also remember there being around 15k at home vs Raith rovers.

If we went down and were doing well we would be averaging bigger crowds than we are now with rangers and hearts in the league.

If we went down it would be an unmitigated disaster. A lot of the teams in that league would beat Hibs, they way Hibs are at the moment, no problem. If we started to lose to these teams, never mind Sevco & HOMFC(IA) our remaining support would evaporate. There will be no Sauzee, Latapy, Mixu etc this time around as players of that quality will no longer play in a backwater league like that. We need to attract better players to the club. They wont come to play in that league unless we offer big time wages and we all know that aint gonna happen with Petrie in charge of the purse strings.

chrisski33
08-04-2014, 06:14 PM
If we go down which will happen its gonna take us about 2-3 yrs to come back but I wouldnt bet my house on it. It will be a diasaster trust me

emerald green
08-04-2014, 06:16 PM
I've read some very strange things on here over the past while. Alot of folk have stated that they 'are not bothered about being relegated', that it could be 'a good thing for the club and the shake up it needs' etc etc.

Relegation would cripple us. Especially with Hearts and Rangers in there next season!

Do we really want to become a team who offers even less money for players (Yes, even that IS possible) and in turn watches even poorer performances from the team?!

Do we really want to become a team that will lose millions in revenue, and having 4-5k at Easter Road each week?!

Do we really want to become a team that has a huge chance of staying stuck in the championship for YEARS?!

These are just some of the things that have a huge chance of coming to pass due to relegation, the list truly goes on.
We simply CAN'T get relegated, we need to back the team to the hilt in the remaining 5 games. Do they deserve it? Hell no. We just need to pray that by showing encouragement from the stands that we can drag these players over the finish line. Theres no delusion here, I know as good as any other Hibee just how bad these players, but we bottom line is that going down isn't an option.

I don't think all of theM do mate. :agree:

Waxy
08-04-2014, 06:17 PM
A couple of the "realistic"(i know there's not many) hearts fans i've spoke to do not want Hibs relegated. Saying it'll just make it harder for them to gain promotion. I agree. No idea why any Hibby would want us down. Loose screws i guess?

Dashing Bob S
08-04-2014, 06:18 PM

Relegation would cripple us. Especially with The Rangers in there next season!

Fixed that for you.

emerald green
08-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Yes of course it would be a disaster but it is going to happen sooner or later. Hibs are rotten to the core and a change in leadership at the top is required this club needs to change from top to bottom. The club is in a truly dire state right now and does not look like changing anytime in the future. Yes we can hope we stay up and TB changes the playing staff but nothing is going to change, it will be the same next year just like the past 4 years same #### different season. We can only hope that something will change at the top but it hasn't in so long so probably be the same again :rolleyes:

This. :agree:

matty_f
08-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Relegation is unthinkable, IMHO. The sooner the players realise this the better, for the ones that apparently don't care because they're on their way out they need to be looking at their team-mates who will be here after the summer and start pulling the finger out for their mates, because as much as anything else, it's their livelihoods that are at risk.

The only thing we could do if we are relegated is try to spend our way out of the division and make sure we're getting a better team on the park than the Yams (if they make it) as we won't be able to outspend Rangers. We'd have to cement second place and make sure the squad is good enough to win a play-off to come back up.
I wouldn't bet on any of that happening, so staying up now is critical.

Gordy M
08-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Im clinging to the fact that after 33 games we are above our rivals, which means as bad as we are, they arent much better. Yes we are on a horrendous run but im hoping we can manage a couple of wins, as the other teams arent that great either!!

hibsbollah
08-04-2014, 06:29 PM
So how much do we lose, financially? Anyone?

emerald green
08-04-2014, 06:38 PM

I have no idea how much we would lose financially mate, but the damage done to the reputation and status of the club would be huge IMO.

California-Hibs
08-04-2014, 06:40 PM

I don't have a figure, but from things such as lower crowds (IMO) and no tv deal in place, I think it would be a heafty sum.

hibsbollah
08-04-2014, 06:47 PM
I don't have a figure, but from things such as lower crowds (IMO) and no tv deal in place, I think it would be a heafty sum.

Tv deal £1.5 million per season? that was with the old firm so may have fallen since then. Probable lower home attendances slightly offset by bumper derby and hunnery away supports? Say 1000 less per game @£17= £350k per season down?

I'm not being argumentative, im genuinely interested.

oregonhibby
08-04-2014, 06:56 PM
You can only go by what it cost last time. About £2.5m. That said we pumped up the wage bill

The_Todd
08-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Tv deal £1.5 million per season? that was with the old firm so may have fallen since then. Probable lower home attendances slightly offset by bumper derby and hunnery away supports? Say 1000 less per game @£17= £350k per season down?

I'm not being argumentative, im genuinely interested.

It won't add much, but I suspect BT Sports and Sky will televise us vs Huns, us vs Hearts and Huns vs Hearts too - extending their current policy of showing Der Hun in the lower leagues.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Relegation is unthinkable, IMHO. The sooner the players realise this the better, for the ones that apparently don't care because they're on their way out they need to be looking at their team-mates who will be here after the summer and start pulling the finger out for their mates, because as much as anything else, it's their livelihoods that are at risk.

The only thing we could do if we are relegated is try to spend our way out of the division and make sure we're getting a better team on the park than the Yams (if they make it) as we won't be able to outspend Rangers. We'd have to cement second place and make sure the squad is good enough to win a play-off to come back up.
I wouldn't bet on any of that happening, so staying up now is critical.

If Thommo isn't featuring he's got nothing to lose by pinning the shirkers up against a wall at EM and spelling...it...out...to...them... God knows somebody needs to.

sleeping giant
08-04-2014, 07:45 PM

Did we have 4-5k at ER during our last great adventure ?

sleeping giant
08-04-2014, 07:46 PM
If Thommo isn't featuring he's got nothing to lose by pinning the shirkers up against a wall at EM and spelling...it...out...to...them... God knows somebody needs to.

Do you think KT would do that ?
I dont !

Hermit Crab
08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
If we go down which will happen its gonna take us about 2-3 yrs to come back but I wouldnt bet my house on it. It will be a diasaster trust me

Maybe be even longer as Petrie won't invest long term in the team

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Do you think KT would do that ?
I dont !

Sadly it's wishful thinking on my part rather than having any basis in reality ;)

sleeping giant
08-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Sadly it's wishful thinking on my part rather than having any basis in reality ;)

Loko, I think a pussycat has more fight than KT. Sooner he is emptied , the better going by the rumours.

Jim44
08-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Maybe he should pin Butcher or Malpas up against a wall and spell it out to them that, irrespective of personal grudges and petty arguments, it's their job to get things together to patch up the gaping hole that existsin the teams motivation and morale.

7 Hills
08-04-2014, 08:16 PM
If every ****er on this thread channelled their negativity about how ***** Hibs are into a positive form - we'd be FINE!!! I'm 45, going on 46. When I was 21 years of age, going on 22 in 1990, I was being led to believe that Hibs were TOTALLY ****ED!!! But they came back and won the Skol Cup! :not worth Then we went on and had some more LEGENDARY teams! Sauzee! Latapy! Benji! Ooh - Zemmama! :not worth

So, even though I'm Auld - I'll always be here!

sleeping giant
08-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Maybe he should pin Butcher or Malpas up against a wall and spell it out to them that, irrespective of personal grudges and petty arguments, it's their job to get things together to patch up the gaping hole that existsin the teams motivation and morale.

Maybe he should just bugger off. Give himself time for his cuts on his knees to heal.

emerald green
08-04-2014, 09:00 PM
If every ****er on this thread channelled their negativity about how ***** Hibs are into a positive form - we'd be FINE!!! I'm 45, going on 46. When I was 21 years of age, going on 22 in 1990, I was being led to believe that Hibs were TOTALLY ****ED!!! But they came back and won the Skol Cup! :not worth Then we went on and had some more LEGENDARY teams! Sauzee! Latapy! Benji! Ooh - Zemmama! :not worth

Sorry, why is it that if some posters express their honest opinions, and fears for the club's future, it's "negativity"? So, if we all bury our heads in the sand and kid on that everything is great at the club, then "we'd be fine". I don't think so. There's a difference between being negative and being honest and realistic. Apart from the U20s, can you please outline what we should positive about at the moment, having watched that garbage last night, and the club now staring the possibility of relegation square in the face. I would love to post "positive" stuff about the club I love. Honestly, I would.

leggeto
08-04-2014, 09:10 PM
This thread is a bit doom and gloom is it no,we won't go down

rcarter1
08-04-2014, 09:21 PM

hear hear! In short do we really think we can do any good pointing the finger and asking for change at this late stage.

Speedy
08-04-2014, 09:29 PM
At least it'll provide another 4 derbies for everyone that said they'd rather be in the bottom 6 for a derby than the top 6.

lobster
08-04-2014, 10:34 PM
One of the worst things about modern football is that they have got us thinking about the financial side of the game. I'd rather watch a young team develop than the fear football on offer these days at the bottom of the SPFL.

hibsbollah
09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
One of the worst things about modern football is that they have got us thinking about the financial side of the game. I'd rather watch a young team develop than the fear football on offer these days at the bottom of the SPFL.

:agree:

cabbageandribs1875
09-04-2014, 09:58 AM
james collins says we have nothing to fear

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/flop-striker-james-collins-tells-3391135

HIBS flop James Collins last night denied Hibs are in a relegation scrap – despite boss Terry Butcher admitting they’re caught in the basement battle.

is this his first quote since saying he would make us all forget about sparky :hmmm:

The_Todd
09-04-2014, 10:43 AM

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/flop-striker-james-collins-tells-3391135

HIBS flop James Collins last night denied Hibs are in a relegation scrap – despite boss Terry Butcher admitting they’re caught in the basement battle.

is this his first quote since saying he would make us all forget about sparky :hmmm:

Ugh. "Hibs flop". There's only two things you can be as a footballer if I believe newspapers - a "star" or a "flop".

greenpaper55
09-04-2014, 11:07 AM
He's at it again, http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/james-collins-lays-down-the-gauntlet-to-hibs-play-off-rivals-1-3370132

If the players don't realise they are in the relegation mix then we have no chance.

DH1875
09-04-2014, 11:11 AM
OK just to point out. Last time we went down there was NO rangers or hearts in the league. We had cash to bring in quality players and the team that we did end up with would walk the SPL at the moment never mind the 1st Division. Our crowds were up and stayed up because we were winning. None of this would happen IF we went down this season. It would be a total disaster and we'd be down there for a good few years. It was bad enough on here when folk were accepting mediocrity and arguing that finishing 6th should be seen as some sort of achievement, now we've got fans who think relegation would be OK. Wonder what they'll have to say when we're finishing 4th in the first division, And some folk accuse our board of having no foresight or ambition :rolleyes:.

jacomo
09-04-2014, 11:19 AM

Don't know what you've been reading, but I've not seen comments like this. Who exactly thinks relegation is a good idea?

Not sure I've read a more patronising thread title to be honest - I think we are all aware of the consequences of going down.

Hibercelona
09-04-2014, 11:20 AM
is this his first quote since saying he would make us all forget about sparky?

Well he's certainly done that. I can no longer remember what a proper striker looks like.

Waxy
09-04-2014, 11:27 AM
I do agree it'll not be the same as last time. If we go down we could be down for years.

mikethehibee69
09-04-2014, 11:43 AM
:top marksI am sick of the negativity, we need to support the team, every fan needs to come out and help!!! If they claim to be a Hibee then prove it, as this club needs every single one of us!!!!!!GGTTH

emerald green
09-04-2014, 05:29 PM

When will they ever learn? Stuff like this is exactly what other teams in the relegation fight will love to hear. We need to do our talking on the pitch, not to the papers. Jeez, I despair.

SunshineOnLeith
09-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Do people realise that the team that finishes second bottom will still have a 2 leg tie against a team from the division below, who've played 4 games in a short period of time to earn that right, with the second leg at home?

I don't think we'll finish second bottom but the way it's talked about on here it's a formality that 11th = relegation.

emerald green
09-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Do people realise that the team that finishes second bottom will still have a 2 leg tie against a team from the division below, who've played 4 games in a short period of time to earn that right, with the second leg at home?

I don't think we'll finish second bottom but the way it's talked about on here it's a formality that 11th = relegation.

Yes, I do realise that mate. My last post wasn't particularly well worded in that respect. We could possibly end up 11th and lose the play-off of course. I really hope not as that would be a disaster for this club. The point I'm trying to make is Hibs and their players should not be giving rival teams anything that might encourage them in any way.

Sir David Gray
09-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Don't know what you've been reading, but I've not seen comments like this. Who exactly thinks relegation is a good idea?

Not sure I've read a more patronising thread title to be honest - I think we are all aware of the consequences of going down.

I've seen comments from a few people recently who have said that being relegated might just give the club the shake up that it needs and that if we were relegated, at least we would have big games against Hearts and Sevco next year which would generate a lot of income.

Golden Bear
09-04-2014, 07:16 PM
I've seen comments from a few people recently who have said that being relegated might just give the club the shake up that it needs and that if we were relegated, at least we would have big games against Hearts and Sevco next year which would generate a lot of income.

Which in turn would reduce the likelihood that we will immediately bounce back.

The consequences of relegation are absolutely horrendous in my eyes.

Saturdays Hero
09-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Which in turn would reduce the likelihood that we will immediately bounce back.

The consequences of relegation are absolutely horrendous in my eyes.

Horrendous to get relegated from possibly the most uncompetitive league in European football.....Scottish football is 💤💤 I guarantee Falkirk/Dundee/Hamilton/Rangers/Hearts/Raith & poss Dunfermline would bring bigger supports to ER than the SPL clubs bar Celtic & The Sheep.....The SPL breeds negativity it's the biggest borefest (the fact that were in a relegation scrap might make it interesting for a change)

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-04-2014, 08:01 PM

Pretty much sums it up for me.

GodisaHibee
09-04-2014, 08:12 PM
We are staring into a void. One step closer each week. I hope I'm wrong but nothing is looking otherwise the now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD