PDA

View Full Version : McGivern

Ozyhibby
07-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Anyone who watched the Dons second care to offer a defence of McGivern?
He backed off and off before letting him have a free pass into the centre of the box.
Brutal football player.
Can't blame Butcher for that.

ehf
07-04-2014, 10:01 PM
He backed off and off before letting him have a free pass into the centre of the box.
Brutal football player.

Can blame Butcher for playing him, though.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Brutal football player.

This Caaaannntt doesnt care about hibs, just wants his rock n roll and bevy. Move him out sharpish. Wage thief. Disgrace to the jersey, add nearly all of the to that as well

Thecat23
07-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Hoooooooooooooooffffffff!

emerald green
07-04-2014, 10:08 PM
This Caaaannntt doesnt care about hibs, just wants his rock n roll and bevy. Move him out sharpish. Wage thief. Disgrace to the jersey, add nearly all of the to that as well

Agree this. :agree: It's not just McGivern though. As a team, Hibs cant defend properly. Been like that for years now.

Jonnyboy
07-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Brutal football player.

Nope. Indefensible

truehibernian
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Hoooooooooooooooffffffff!

Nelson and Forster were no better mate - horrible football, terrible formation, ludicrous midfield - Tom Taiwo literally didn't know whether to defend or attack, Liam Craig was as mobile as a traffic cone and offered nothing.

The team played like a game of fives tonight - rather than take the ball, turn and look up, they played instant one touch - the downfall of that being it was one touch backwards and sideways. Aberdeen's two banks of four were able to easily reform and defend.

Alex didn't once look to take the ball outside which shows me he needs to be played right, on the left he constantly turns in and it's telegraphed - Cairney couldn't beat a man to the bye line unless there was a doughnut waiting for him at the touchline.

None of our 'wide men' want to take men on, commit them and draw defenders out. It becomes condensed and traffic heavy by coming inside all the time.

Brightside
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
also how can a guy who is so tall get beat to almost every header. Lewis out jumps him!

Jonnyboy
07-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Nelson and Forster were no better mate - horrible football, terrible formation, ludicrous midfield - Tom Taiwo literally didn't know whether to defend or attack, Liam Craig was as mobile as a traffic cone and offered nothing.

The team played like a game of fives tonight - rather than take the ball, turn and look up, they played instant one touch - the downfall of that being it was one touch backwards and sideways. Aberdeen's two banks of four were able to easily reform and defend.

Alex didn't once look to take the ball outside which shows me he needs to be played right, on the left he constantly turns in and it's telegraphed - Cairney couldn't beat a man to the bye line unless there was a doughnut waiting for him at the touchline.

None of our 'wide men' want to take men on, commit them and draw defenders out. It becomes condensed and traffic heavy by coming inside all the time.

:faf:

Cairney should have been hooked at half time and Watmore brought on IMO

RIP Bestie
07-04-2014, 10:18 PM
I wanted to see him at centre back. Seen it, he can go now.

Eyrie
07-04-2014, 10:18 PM

Cummings for Craig as well.

Jonnyboy
07-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Cummings for Craig as well.

Agreed

Hermit Crab

Watmore should have started, i could not believe he wasn't in the first 11 tonight. Handling shouldn't be anywhere near the first team just now and probably not at all if im honest.

Why not play Watmore wide right and Harris inside right and then have Robertson (when fit) beside him and Thomson beside Robertson. A mixture of pace skill and experience.

Thecat23
I wanted to see him at centre back. Seen it, he can go now.

This.

Thecat23
07-04-2014, 10:20 PM

They really were rotten, that team tonight was one of the worst I've seen in a while that's saying something. Never once tested the keeper I don't think?

Jonnyboy
07-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Watmore should have started, i could not believe he wasn't in the first 11 tonight. Handling shouldn't be anywhere near the first team just now and probably not at all if im honest.

Why not play Watmore wide right and Harris inside right and then have Robertson (when fit) beside him and Thomson beside Robertson. A mixture of pace skill and experience.

I thought Watmore offered more in the short time he was on than Cairney did in all the time he had.

In truth I was stunned that the same eleven started the second half

truehibernian
07-04-2014, 10:22 PM
First goal, both Nelson and McGivern are drawn to same ball. Had Ryan held position, he'd have been in a position to anticipate the lucky break McGinn got and closed down.

Second goal he stood off and stood off, by not commiting, gave the Aberdeen player two options instead of one.

Said it weeks ago - naming him in the side is as good as being a goal down before a ball is kicked.

Nelson didn't cover himself in glory either (second goal) - deep in his 6 yard box, not throwing himself at the ball. Ball watching and hoofing - that's what his game has fallen to.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2014, 10:26 PM
First goal, both Nelson and McGivern are drawn to same ball. Had Ryan held position, he'd have been in a position to anticipate the lucky break McGinn got and closed down.

Second goal he stood off and stood off, by not commiting, gave the Aberdeen player two options instead of one.

Said it weeks ago - naming him in the side is as good as being a goal down before a ball is kicked.

Nelson didn't cover himself in glory either (second goal) - deep in his 6 yard box, not throwing himself at the ball. Ball watching and hoofing - that's what his game has fallen to.

Said it before, he's a Junior player at best.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2014, 10:27 PM
I thought Watmore offered more in the short time he was on than Cairney did in all the time he had.

In truth I was stunned that the same eleven started the second half

:agree: He caused probs at tynie and should have started this evening.

RIP Bestie
07-04-2014, 10:30 PM

i have said it time and again McGivern is never a left back. On tonight's showing he will never be a centre half either. He has no positional sense and can't defend. He doesn't look for a pass and just wants to hoof the ball as far as he can. Launch him.

GreenOnions
07-04-2014, 10:31 PM
I think Ryan is trying his best but, unfortunately, he's just not good enough for this level of football. We started the season with him, Nelson and Mullen as three of the main defenders in our squad. How on earth can we expect to be top six with that? None of them is anywhere near good enough. This has been obvious about Mullen and Nelson right from the start. McGivern is not quite so poor but not far off.

To be fair to Terry Butcher - it can't be easy to make something out of that.

At least Forster has the excuse of playing in a defence with two of them most weeks - and playing out of position too. He looked good beside Hanlon in the middle last year and I would like to see him given another chance there.

I'd really like to see us keep Hanlon and Forster. McPake will be leaving and, if we can come to an arrangement with Nelson and McGivern, I'd be delighted to see them move on. It's certainly hard to imagine another team paying a fee for either of them.

That would give us the ability to give the two U-19 full-backs a go next season and to bring in two or three better players at the back to compete with Hanlon and Forster.

zolliehibs
07-04-2014, 10:36 PM
I think Ryan is trying his best but, unfortunately, he's just not good enough for this level of football. We started the season with him, Nelson and Mullen as three of the main defenders in our squad. How on earth can we expect to be top six with that? None of them is anywhere near good enough. This has been obvious about Mullen and Nelson right from the start. McGivern is not quite so poor but not far off.

To be fair to Terry Butcher - it can't be easy to make something out of that.

At least Forster has the excuse of playing in a defence with two of them most weeks - and playing out of position too. He looked good beside Hanlon in the middle last year and I would like to see him given another chance there.

I'd really like to see us keep Hanlon and Forster. McPake will be leaving and, if we can come to an arrangement with Nelson and McGivern, I'd be delighted to see them move on. It's certainly hard to imagine another team paying a fee for either of them.

That would give us the ability to give the two U-19 full-backs a go next season and to bring in two or three better players at the back to compete with Hanlon and Forster.

Spot on. They're at the centre of the hoofball and tbh, McGivern's a shadow of the player he was when we signed him as well, doesn't look confident.

The_Exile
07-04-2014, 10:53 PM
If McGiverns being told to hoof it up the park though then there's not much he can do. I'd still get rid though, he's got far too many bad habits on the pitch to be a good defender.

eggbamyasi
07-04-2014, 10:56 PM
We were really bad :-( I would only keep . Forster , stevenson, stanton and collins from the 11 out there . Mcgivern and nelson were really bad . They were so far from aberdeens forwards it was unreal . The space they gave them !!!! Constantly all game . To the poster who said it was butchers fault for playing him ...... who the hell else is he gonna play ???? Hes taken on a really poor squad of individuals who just cant play as a team at all . He got a boost out of them when he first came in and gradually there poorness has shown . I just pray we get 3 points from somewhere and end this season and get those wasters out of club . The thomson thing too . I like him as a player always have , but if hes not willing to tow the line or doesn't like the managment and is vocal about it he has to go . Look at fergie man u . How many absolute quality players did he get rid of and drop due to similar situations . Managment is exactly that . If someone I hired told me to **** off or similar they wouldnt work for me again . If someone didnt like my managment style thats there problem either they get with the programme or the leave . Happens in most work enviroments especially football . Bottom line for me is we need to scrape 3/4 points some how and get this season done . Start afresh with TB and MM philosophies and a squad of players fully commited to that and we will see massive difference . Tonight was piss poor

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

TRC
08-04-2014, 06:53 AM
The thing that gets me was when he first came in he looked good. Then after a while he seems to have gone backwards? Like a few others that have come to hibs been ok at the start then declined at a rapid rate. What happens?

MWHIBBIES
08-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Taiwo much more to blame, Lewis points at McGinn but Taiwo just jogs back and ignores him.

http://gfycat.com/ConcreteChiefAegeancat

Can see it there.

Aldo
08-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Nelson and Forster were no better mate - horrible football, terrible formation, ludicrous midfield - Tom Taiwo literally didn't know whether to defend or attack, Liam Craig was as mobile as a traffic cone and offered nothing. The team played like a game of fives tonight - rather than take the ball, turn and look up, they played instant one touch - the downfall of that being it was one touch backwards and sideways. Aberdeen's two banks of four were able to easily reform and defend. Alex didn't once look to take the ball outside which shows me he needs to be played right, on the left he constantly turns in and it's telegraphed - Cairney couldn't beat a man to the bye line unless there was a doughnut waiting for him at the touchline. None of our 'wide men' want to take men on, commit them and draw defenders out. It becomes condensed and traffic heavy by coming inside all the time.

TH couldn't agree more. Craig is supposed to be the club Capt I would trust him to go and buy a pint of milk. Spineless coward of a player, his attitude and performance is and was truly disgusting.

Collins had been dropped yet came in and at least made an effort and didn't stop until he was taken off. Stanton continually received hospital balls from our cowardly Capt who just didn't give a ****.

Players might not be technically gifted but FFS show a bit of effort.

3pm
08-04-2014, 07:05 AM
I actually thought he was better at Centre Half. Not great but better.

I will caveat that by saying I didn't see the build up to the 2nd goal, just the finish.

Ronniekirk
08-04-2014, 07:05 AM
Agree this. :agree: It's not just McGivern though. As a team, Hibs cant defend properly. Been like that for years now.
Good news is he is suspended for st midden game but agree with Hanlon out that defence accommodating another change will still leak goals .We knew we didn't have cover so brining in Boateng has been a waste as he isn't good enough so unless he puts Mayburry back in surely black or Baptie have to come in

Ronniekirk
08-04-2014, 07:11 AM
:agree: He caused probs at tynie and should have started this evening.
Probably still nursing foot injury so might be saving him for the games we need to win in coming weeks .against the so called weaker teams of which on current form we are the weakest .

TornadoHibby
08-04-2014, 07:17 AM
They really were rotten, that team tonight was one of the worst I've seen in a while that's saying something. Never once tested the keeper I don't think?

Not the first time that's happened this season though! :rolleyes:

Cod Boy
08-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Man City must have dodgy scouts for him to have been on there playing staff.

cocopops1875
08-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Man City must have dodgy scouts for him to have been on there playing staff.

You will probably find he was a freakishly tall laddie who dominated at a young age, However the wee lads eventually caught up and what's left is a decent/average player who was signed long term before City became a super power. He will now find his level in my opinion

hibee_girl
08-04-2014, 09:31 AM

I will caveat that by saying I didn't see the build up to the 2nd goal, just the finish.

:agree: he was much more comfortable in the middle than on the left, not entirely his fault for the 2nd either but of course everyone will blame him.

gegs70
08-04-2014, 09:37 AM
What are we going to do to score....we didn't even look close today....what is our best midfield????

Ozyhibby
08-04-2014, 09:44 AM
:agree: he was much more comfortable in the middle than on the left, not entirely his fault for the 2nd either but of course everyone will blame him.

Definitely not all his fault. The ball was played into two unmarked dons players in the middle of our box.
But McGiverns part in it was a disgrace. Absolutely honking defending of a standard you might see at the Gyle on a Sunday morning pub league.

inglisavhibs
08-04-2014, 11:44 AM

The back four were the least of our problems last night.