PDA

View Full Version : Too late for Plan B

Nailrod
07-04-2014, 09:43 PM
About half a dozen games ago I started arguing seriously in favour of playing the under-20s, plus two or three of the better performers from first team, to try to break the cycle of failure we appeared to be falling into. Even then it was apparent that something dire had gone wrong with the 'seasoned pros' - bereft of any confidence, barely even turning up, offering nothing when they did.

The young guys were on a roll, playing for each other as a team, scoring for fun, winning games, obviously full of confidence. I simply don't believe that if they had been given a crack, they wouldn't have taken anything out of any of the last six games. And even if they hadn't, at least there would still be five games left to try something different to turn things round.

Butcher was making the same kind of noises at the time, but with him it turned out to be nothing but talk.

Well it's too late now. FWIW I still don't believe that if you started playing them now, the under-20s would lose every single one of the last five games. Unfortunately, it's just not reasonable to turn round to a team of youngsters when we're in this predicament and say "Look guys, I've dug myself a fifty-foot hole. It's up to you to get me out of it..."

So we're stuck with the 'seasoned pros'. The same guys who haven't turned up for the last three months or whatever, and who have managed the not inconsiderable feat of having no attempts on target in (I think) two of their last three games.

All we can do now is sit on our hands and watch glumly while events unfold, hoping against hope that they manage to fluke something. Because they're certainly not going to achieve anything on merit.

Saorsa
07-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Plan B? was there a ****in' A?

Moon unit
07-04-2014, 10:17 PM
About half a dozen games ago I started arguing seriously in favour of playing the under-20s, plus two or three of the better performers from first team, to try to break the cycle of failure we appeared to be falling into. Even then it was apparent that something dire had gone wrong with the 'seasoned pros' - bereft of any confidence, barely even turning up, offering nothing when they did.

The young guys were on a roll, playing for each other as a team, scoring for fun, winning games, obviously full of confidence. I simply don't believe that if they had been given a crack, they wouldn't have taken anything out of any of the last six games. And even if they hadn't, at least there would still be five games left to try something different to turn things round.

Butcher was making the same kind of noises at the time, but with him it turned out to be nothing but talk.

Well it's too late now. FWIW I still don't believe that if you started playing them now, the under-20s would lose every single one of the last five games. Unfortunately, it's just not reasonable to turn round to a team of youngsters when we're in this predicament and say "Look guys, I've dug myself a fifty-foot hole. It's up to you to get me out of it..."

So we're stuck with the 'seasoned pros'. The same guys who haven't turned up for the last three months or whatever, and who have managed the not inconsiderable feat of having no attempts on target in (I think) two of their last three games.

All we can do now is sit on our hands and watch glumly while events unfold, hoping against hope that they manage to fluke something. Because they're certainly not going to achieve anything on merit.

Don't believe it's too late or unfair. Maybe one or two will seize the moment and grab a goal or 2...even have shots on goal..remember them? They could place their marker for next season!

Eyrie
07-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Plan B? was there a ****in' A?

Wasn't that the five year plan?