PDA

View Full Version : Butcher Post-Match interview

Cameron1875
07-04-2014, 09:32 PM
http://audioboo.fm/boos/2055745-terry-butcher-talks-to-hibernian-tv-s-keith-reid-after-tonight-s-defeat-to-aberdeen-at-easter-road

Interestingly he says Hibs fixtures mean we are now not gonna be "playing the Aberdeens or the top teams" even though we've lost to bottom 6 sides in last few weeks :confused:

Thoughts?

hihohibby
07-04-2014, 09:43 PM
http://audioboo.fm/boos/2055745-terry-butcher-talks-to-hibernian-tv-s-keith-reid-after-tonight-s-defeat-to-aberdeen-at-easter-road

Interestingly he says Hibs fixtures mean we are now not gonna be "playing the Aberdeens or the top teams" even though we've lost to bottom 6 sides in last few weeks :confused:

Thoughts?
:yawn: Yes, Terry.

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2014, 09:46 PM
to be fair what else can he say, he tried publicly calling the players p@sh several weeks ago, hoping for a positive reaction, back-fired big time but not because the players took the cream puff but because they are a shower of unprofessional wage-thieving grade A ****S

Bostonhibby
07-04-2014, 09:47 PM

Thoughts?

Keep it going the way it is for the next 5 games and we won't have to worry about playing the bottom feeders either :dunno: We will eventually bump into someone we can beat

rcarter1
07-04-2014, 09:48 PM
to be fair what else can he say, he tried publicly calling the players p@sh several weeks ago, hoping for a positive reaction, back-fired big time but not because the players took the cream puff but because they are a shower of unprofessional wage-thieving grade A ****S

pretty OTT and harsh. I saw tonight a bunch of guys who tried, but fell way short. Pace. Pace. Pace. And an ability to take a meaningful shot. To say they don't try is a bit rough.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Yaaawwwwwn.

stevejordan
07-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Ground Hogg Day

DH1875
07-04-2014, 10:14 PM

Thoughts?

Thoughts?......................................... ..................... We're screwed.

JOD
07-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Effort is not the problem just ability I'm afraid.

His words over the weekend were the biggest problem. When asked about Adam Rooney TB said '' I would have loved to sign Rooney Jan window
but I could not offer him a permanent contract.'' That sums up our board's attitude----Lets do it on the cheap. Aberdeen strengthen while we end with
useless Loanees who have contributed zilch to our team and we wonder why we are struggling ?????

Amit
07-04-2014, 10:32 PM
That sums up our board's attitude----Lets do it on the cheap. Aberdeen strengthen while we end with
useless Loanees who have contributed zilch to our team and we wonder why we are struggling ?????

To be honest. The biggest mistake the board made was not sacking Fenlon in the summer after the Malmo game. He should've been binned then Butcher could've come in with a summer transfer window and some cash to splash.

However, we wait til the cash has been used up on one player and then any additional cash has been used to buy out the ICT management team. No wonder there was nothing available for Butcher in Jan plus nobody wants to let their good players go on the cheap.

Need to get through this season and rebuild in the summer. Confident TB and co can do this. We just have to grin and bare the woeful performances and individuals on show for the time being.

gegs70
07-04-2014, 10:40 PM
pretty OTT and harsh. I saw tonight a bunch of guys who tried, but fell way short. Pace. Pace. Pace. And an ability to take a meaningful shot. To say they don't try is a bit rough.

I'm not sure some of the with the exception of Stevenson were scared to go in hard, pulling out of challenges, it was a bit gutless and without passion. How can they go 66minutes without having a shot the stats showed zero shots on Target....

It wasn't working today we need to put on an experienced midfield JonesCraig Thomson and taiwo and play 2 up front Collins doesn't have clue on his own!

NorthNorfolkHFC
07-04-2014, 10:47 PM

Thoughts?

Heard that. He actually said we'd done well against these teams. Lost to Partick, St Mirren and Hearts and drawn with Killie. It's County we can beat apparently.

I'd fancy all of them to beat us.

"That was classic intercourse!"

Hibercelona
07-04-2014, 10:50 PM

You're talking about players that we signed, because they were good elsewhere. Some of them from other clubs in this very same league.

It's amazing how they only become "unprofessional" and "wage thieves" while they're at this club.

But seem perfectly fine anywhere else.

Cropley10
07-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Effort is not the problem just ability I'm afraid.

His words over the weekend were the biggest problem. When asked about Adam Rooney TB said '' I would have loved to sign Rooney Jan window
but I could not offer him a permanent contract.'' That sums up our board's attitude----Lets do it on the cheap. Aberdeen strengthen while we end with

Precisely the problem. Self evidently a clueless bean counting chairman.

The Green Goblin
07-04-2014, 10:52 PM
You're talking about players that we signed, because they were good elsewhere. Some of them from other clubs in this very same league.

It's amazing how they only become "unprofessional" and "wage thieves" while they're at this club.

It`s hard to deny there`s more than a bit of truth in that idea though, isn`t there?

lucky
07-04-2014, 10:55 PM
His interviews are getting as bad as Yogis were. It's time for him to shut up a bit and try save us from going down. Personally I hope he walks, he's made a crap team the worst in the league

Monts
07-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Ability is not the problem. Confidence is.

Butcher is trying to build it up again.

The bit about the fans getting behind them is key to that too imo

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2014, 10:57 PM

because a few of these players apparently don't like what they are being asked to do in training, and if they don't like training then they certainly won't like playing

although i will retract the wage-thieving part...but they are still of very poor quality

matty_f
07-04-2014, 10:58 PM

Good point. :agree:

The biggest difference between the sides tonight was belief and confidence. We lack it big style, whereas the sheep have it in abundance.

Monts
07-04-2014, 11:02 PM

The biggest difference between the sides tonight was belief and confidence. We lack it big style, whereas the sheep have it in abundance.

Exactly what I said at half time.

The dons were more than happy to try quick flicks and passes. If it didn't work, they knew the defence had them covered.

Compare that to us. Players were taking extra touches to try and be safe, and runs weren't being made in case they were exposed behind.

We have no confidence, and that's what's hurting us most.

Hibercelona
07-04-2014, 11:03 PM
because a few of these players apparently don't like what they are being asked to do in training, and if they don't like training then they certainly won't like playing

Then perhaps the way the club train players is the issue and not actually the players themselves?

If they can train and play well with any other club, but can't do it here. Then surely that indicates a problem with the training and not the endless stream of players we go through who all seem to take up more or less the same issue.

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Exactly what I said at half time.

The dons were more than happy to try quick flicks and passes. If it didn't work, they knew the defence had them covered.

Compare that to us. Players were taking extra touches to try and be safe, and runs weren't being made in case they were exposed behind.

We have no confidence, and that's what's hurting us most.

:agree: scared to shoot so look for the final pass that's not on instead.

No confidence at all.

Hiber-nation

It's hard to get behind a bunch of players who are 2nd to everything.

rcarter1

I agree that confidence and belief were lacking, but to be fair I think that ability plays a pretty big part too. These players are bottom 6 material fair and square.

Monts
07-04-2014, 11:06 PM
:agree: scared to shoot so look for the final pass that's not on instead.

No confidence at all.

Yup, no one wants to be the one to mess the move up by missing the target

Monts
07-04-2014, 11:07 PM
It's hard to get behind a bunch of players who are 2nd to everything.

It's like the old saying goes, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all :wink:

stevejordan
07-04-2014, 11:08 PM
His interviews are getting as bad as Yogis were. It's time for him to shut up a bit and try save us from going down. Personally I hope he walks, he's made a crap team the worst in the league

his interviews are the same every time the same old crap he never talks about the players or formations or his plans always all about me.

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Then perhaps the way the club train players is the issue and not actually the players themselves?

If they can train and play well with any other club, but can't do it here. Then surely that indicates a problem with the training and not the endless stream of players we go through who all seem to take up more or less the same issue.

collins...can't even hold a ball since joining this club

McGivern...can't pass a ball to another team member

Nelson...appalling ball distribution since he joined this club

that's got nothing to do with the training, it's just pure lack of quality all round

matty_f
07-04-2014, 11:11 PM
I agree that confidence and belief were lacking, but to be fair I think that ability plays a pretty big part too. These players are bottom 6 material fair and square.

The ability comes into it as well, definitely. However a confident team can win games even if they're not technically a good as their opponents.

Our lack of confidence just highlights or deficiencies even more.

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2014, 11:12 PM
his interviews are the same every time the same old crap he never talks about the players or formations or his plans always all about me.

TB said he was pleased with the shape of the team tonight, willie miller also said the same during the commentary so if they both said that then i believe them

Hibercelona
07-04-2014, 11:14 PM
collins...can't even hold a ball since joining this club

McGivern...can't pass a ball to another team member

Nelson...appalling ball distribution since he joined this club

that's got nothing to do with the training, it's just pure lack of quality all round

"Since joining the club".

Meaning they weren't nearly that poor before they came here.

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2014, 11:22 PM

personally, i have absolutely no idea what any of them were like before joining hibs

jacomo
07-04-2014, 11:22 PM

Nah we're not there yet, nor at Fenlon's level of tetchiness.

He sounded pretty level headed to me, not going nuts about a decision going against us but trying to focus on the next game.

We're not scoring. It's been the same problem all season. It makes everything harder. Alright TB hasn't found the magic formula and it's been a deeply disappointing run, but our manager still sounds like he has a plan. Not much to hold onto, but something.

Jim44
07-04-2014, 11:30 PM

I thought Aberdeen was where men were men and sheep were nervous.

basehibby
07-04-2014, 11:34 PM

Thoughts?

"We need the support - we need everybody to be behind us and will us - that's what we need more than anything else"

A telling quote - and something a lot of fans need to meditate on. We are a faithful support but often must sound like a bunch of nagging old crones. Support was alright tonight and pretty up for it but I myself found myself in a verbal altercation with a guy behind me who thought 5 minutes into the second half was a good time to start calling Butcher a useless basstrd! There's a big thread on here criticising MM for telling a critical fan to basically do one. My advice to the guy would be to let them get on with it - if after all the games are played we have the prospect of playing Rangers and (possibly) Hearts next season then that would be a good time to tell them exactly what you think.

basehibby
07-04-2014, 11:39 PM

:agree: The team lacks confidence more than anything else - they were trying a leg though and that's not generally been the problem. We lack quality in certain areas and that really tells against the better teams in the league.

SlickShoes
07-04-2014, 11:43 PM
"We need the support - we need everybody to be behind us and will us - that's what we need more than anything else"

A telling quote - and something a lot of fans need to meditate on. We are a faithful support but often must sound like a bunch of nagging old crones. Support was alright tonight and pretty up for it but I myself found myself in a verbal altercation with a guy behind me who thought 5 minutes into the second half was a good time to start calling Butcher a useless basstrd! There's a big thread on here criticising MM for telling a critical fan to basically do one. My advice to the guy would be to let them get on with it - if after all the games are played we have the prospect of playing Rangers and (possibly) Hearts next season then that would be a good time to tell them exactly what you think.

It's alright asking the fans for positive support but we have tried and tried and watched 7 years of decline under various managers. I can't give hibs any positive support at the moment I know if I was at the game I'd be mumping and groaning from about ten minutes in.

I have been to many horrific games during our rapid decline when the club called on us to support the team, only to be let down time after time by gutless performances. There comes a time when you just have to stop. I'll go back probably with even a slight improvement, we don't have to be winning cups and pushing for second/third, we just have to not be sliding down an endless slope of total misery.

basehibby
07-04-2014, 11:52 PM
It's alright asking the fans for positive support but we have tried and tried and watched 7 years of decline under various managers. I can't give hibs any positive support at the moment I know if I was at the game I'd be mumping and groaning from about ten minutes in.

I have been to many horrific games during our rapid decline when the club called on us to support the team, only to be let down time after time by gutless performances. There comes a time when you just have to stop. I'll go back probably with even a slight improvement, we don't have to be winning cups and pushing for second/third, we just have to not be sliding down an endless slope of total misery.

Your call - I went along tonight because I thought the team needed some positive support. I'd probably agree that fans that cannot contain themselves from deriding the team/management would be better staying away at least until safety is secured.

The Green Goblin
07-04-2014, 11:52 PM
:agree: The team lacks confidence more than anything else - they were trying a leg though and that's not generally been the problem. We lack quality in certain areas and that really tells against the better teams in the league.

Agree with the first part - it looked to me as if the team were trying hard and were focused tonight, certainly more than in recent games, but no shots on target tells its own story. The question is, whose fault is it that we lack that quality we are missing?

delbert
07-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Nah we're not there yet, nor at Fenlon's level of tetchiness.

He sounded pretty level headed to me, not going nuts about a decision going against us but trying to focus on the next game.

We're not scoring. It's been the same problem all season.

It makes everything harder. Alright TB hasn't found the magic formula and it's been a deeply disappointing run, but our manager still sounds like he has a plan. Not much to hold onto, but something.

Obviously I hope TB is the manager we have been looking for but the post match comments seriously worried me. He seemed to think we did ok and had a good shape up to the last third and that all we are lacking is a bit of luck and that hard work on the training field will build the confidence to get us through this.

Well sorry but that's not what I watched, I saw a team a yard fitter and willing to work so much harder when they didn't have the ball. Aberdeen pressed us as soon as Williams threw a ball out to a full back for the whole game, so we were under pressure immediately 30 yards from our own goals and it usually ended up with us hoofing it upfield and gifting them possession, simple but effective. Because we only had one up at home, a thankless task for Collins who looked totally disillusioned, we only got close once Aberdeen got into our half and even then, their four worked so much harder than our five, it was a no contest at times. With the ball they didn't just look a yard faster, more like two, I reckon if they had really opened up, they could have cut us open at will.

If our problems really are in the last third, then someone please explain why we are so easily dominated in midfield, I realise the ball is usually going over the midfields head when we are 'attacking' but why do teams find it so easy to pass the ball with ease through the middle of the field, even making allowances for the total lack of pace in our midfield. And if our problems really are just in the final third, can someone please explain to me why McGivern, Nelson and even tonight Forster simply appear to be unable to defend fairly simple balls played at them, the only defender who showed any aggression and will to win was Stevenson, the other three were just beyond abysmal.

I can't begin to fathom why we have sunk to the level we have apart from the bleeding obvious, the players are in general rank rotten, but if TB seriously think the major problems at Easter Road are confined to one area of this side, he is quite simply mistaken.

snooky
07-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Aberdeen closed us down all over the park.
By playing one up, we sacrificed half the field to them.
Only a few players make any sustained level of effort to support attacks (Foster being one).
Willow Flood covered every inch of the park tonight as did a few of his team mates.
Our midfield need a visa to cross the halfway line.
Nobody WANTS the ball because if they get it there's nobody in a position to take a pass and they're left looking the numpty.
There's far too many dingleberries in the team, IMO.

basehibby
08-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Agree with the first part - it looked to me as if the team were trying hard and were focused tonight, certainly more than in recent games, but no shots on target tells its own story. The question is, whose fault is it that we lack that quality we are missing?

At this stage you can't really pin that at Butcher's door. Aberdeen are a similar football club to us who could somehow afford some of the more influential players on the pitch tonight that Hibs evidently could not. That is probably down to a number of factors including the famed frugality of our set up, the decisions of previous mangers, but also significantly the frequent turnover of players and managers which has been taking a big chunk out of our budget year after year - that's got to stop somewhere along the line or our problems will never get better.

LALthehibeeGAL
08-04-2014, 12:10 AM
To be honest. The biggest mistake the board made was not sacking Fenlon in the summer after the Malmo game. He should've been binned then Butcher could've come in with a summer transfer window and some cash to splash.

However, we wait til the cash has been used up on one player and then any additional cash has been used to buy out the ICT management team. No wonder there was nothing available for Butcher in Jan plus nobody wants to let their good players go on the cheap.

Need to get through this season and rebuild in the summer. Confident TB and co can do this. We just have to grin and bare the woeful performances and individuals on show for the time being.

:agree:100%

Saorsa
08-04-2014, 12:32 AM

Need to get through this season and rebuild in the summer. Confident TB and co can do this. We just have to grin and bare the woeful performances and individuals on show for the time being.was that efter petrie made the mistake of no sacking deadwood in the summer and letting him spend all the money before sacking him and bringing in the next manager and leaving him nothing tae spend?

Mistake, repeat, mistake repeat.......

silverhibee
08-04-2014, 12:37 AM
personally, i have absolutely no idea what any of them were like before joining hibs

I have watched Craig play for St Js a few times, not just against Hibs and i thought he was pretty average, that's what we got, he hasn't got any worse.

silverhibee
08-04-2014, 12:40 AM
I thought Aberdeen was where men were men and sheep were nervous.

I thought the dons strolled tonight's game and hadn't even gotten out of 2nd gear, they were toying with us at times.

silverhibee
08-04-2014, 12:42 AM
Only a few players make any sustained level of effort to support attacks (Foster being one).
Willow Flood covered every inch of the park tonight as did a few of his team mates.
Nobody WANTS the ball because if they get it there's nobody in a position to take a pass and they're left looking the numpty.

:top marks

Hibercelona
08-04-2014, 12:49 AM
I have watched Craig play for St Js a few times, not just against Hibs and i thought he was pretty average, that's what we got, he hasn't got any worse.

He has gotten worse. He's certainly worse now than he was when he first arrived. But according to the St Johnstone fans i've spoken to, they say he was a completely different player for them and that they'd take him back in a flash.

I just think we're hopeless as a club at getting anywhere near the best out of players. Yet another clear out and a new batch of players will prove this yet again.

The Green Goblin
08-04-2014, 12:54 AM
At this stage you can't really pin that at Butcher's door. Aberdeen are a similar football club to us who could somehow afford some of the more influential players on the pitch tonight that Hibs evidently could not. That is probably down to a number of factors including the famed frugality of our set up, the decisions of previous mangers, but also significantly the frequent turnover of players and managers which has been taking a big chunk out of our budget year after year - that's got to stop somewhere along the line or our problems will never get better.

That question was genuinely intended as an open one, rather than an implication that I was pointing the finger at Butcher, although having read it back, I can totally see how it might have seemed that way. But I was just asking the question - and your answer makes sense to me. It`s just pretty frustrating to see this happening yet again with TB. It`s a nightmare really.

Iain G
08-04-2014, 01:07 AM
He has gotten worse. He's certainly worse now than he was when he first arrived. But according to the St Johnstone fans i've spoken to, they say he was a completely different player for them and that they'd take him back in a flash.

I just think we're hopeless as a club at getting anywhere near the best out of players. Yet another clear out and a new batch of players will prove this yet again.

Part of this is surely the role he is being asked to play, deeper in midfield, where his actually goalscoring threat gets reduced?! That's not Liam playing deep he is being played in that position which doesn't actually suit him. SPL level players need to be played in a position that best suits their talents.

Amit
08-04-2014, 06:49 AM
was that efter petrie made the mistake of no sacking deadwood in the summer and letting him spend all the money before sacking him and bringing in the next manager and leaving him nothing tae spend?

Mistake, repeat, mistake repeat.......

Agree with this too.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-04-2014, 07:14 AM
I've only got one question for him.

WHY DO YOU KEEP PLAYING THE SAME PLAYERS THAT ARE LETTING US DOWN IN EVERY GAME TERRY?

Surely to **** we have some laddies that will perform much much better than this!

I give up honestly!! :confused:

jakeshibs
08-04-2014, 08:59 AM

totally agree and last 5 games we need to get behind them

Unseen work
08-04-2014, 11:22 AM
I've only got one question for him.

WHY DO YOU KEEP PLAYING THE SAME PLAYERS THAT ARE LETTING US DOWN IN EVERY GAME TERRY?

Surely to **** we have some laddies that will perform much much better than this!

I give up honestly!! :confused:

He's obv not when he makes 4 changes a game

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-04-2014, 11:29 AM

:agree: Collins scored 18 last year including 4 vs Stoke. Heff got 15 in his first season at Killie, scored 6 last year but was out for a while. St Johndtone fans loved Liam Craig because he was really good for them!

sven nil
08-04-2014, 12:50 PM
TB said he was pleased with the shape of the team tonight, willie miller also said the same during the commentary so if they both said that then i believe themAye right ,Willie millers managerial record is worse than terry butchers I tend to make my own mind up!

cabbageandribs1875
08-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Aye right ,Willie millers managerial record is worse than terry butchers I tend to make my own mind up!

i prefer to listen to two players that have been part of European cup-winning teams and with a combined 300 years of playing football to make my mind up :) and i don't know why your trying to discredit willie millers managerial credentials :confused: two 2nd place finishes and two cup final defeats in three seasons is a pretty good record...yay ? i seriously wish we could have that kind of failure eh :rolleyes: jeezo

truehibernian
08-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Snooky, I was very impressed with the compact nature of Aberdeen last night - each player knew their job, knew where their teammate was, and there was a real cohesive stye to their play. I wouldn't say that did close us down all over the park - what they did was hold their lines, defend space well and reduce options. They didn't really have to press because Hibs launched it over and over again and were not playing the passing game.

How many times in the SPFL will you see both Considine and Anderson get into an opponents half, and deep into the oposition half, again ? I was incredulous that we stayed one up top and even more dumbstruck when Considine was allowed to maraude his way into our half unchallenged. Anderson nearly took the ball from the halfway line into our box unchallenged first half.

Midfield was all wrong, and was a gift for wee Flood, Pawlett and Robson who are all so comfy on the ball. If a pass wasn't on, they passed it back and around, thus keeping the ball and making Hibs puff. When a pass wasn't on for us, Nelson/McGivern/Craig (invariably) launched it into no mans land.

Hibs should have been the team to press as we needed the win. We should have played two strikers up top. We should have had some height in midfield, with Thomson in there for experience and composure.

At present we have a centre half at right back, a left mid at left back, a left back at centre half, a defensive midfielder not knowing where he is meant to be on the pitch, a supposed attacking midfielder content with playing deep, and a striker who can't score goals. Recipe for the Championship but also a mind blowing management.