PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Well done wee man, only one who looks like they give a ****!

J-C
07-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Well done wee man, only one who looks like they give a ****!

:agree::top marks

Allan45
07-04-2014, 09:10 PM
:agree::top marks
Agreed:top marks

Malthibby
07-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Ran himself into the group & never afraid to push forward.
Shame about (most of) the rest.
GG

hibee
07-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Agreed, looks like him and Stanton are the only two bothered if we lose.

Weststandwanab
07-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Another immense display.

I wonder if Mr. Stevenson could teach those players that are staying how to fight got our club.

Nakedmanoncrack
07-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Agreed, well played Lewis.

Pretty Boy
07-04-2014, 09:20 PM
If we had a few more with the heart and guts of Stevenson we would be in a far better place.

Slim Shady
07-04-2014, 09:21 PM
We need him back In centre midfield. Every time we had the ball tonight we were hounded by their midfield to get it back. We didn't have that tonight. Lewis has the tenacity and work rate to be that player for us.

HibsNutter
07-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't know how he has it in him to fight for every single ball when the majority of others won't try a leg, well played Lew.

Him and Stanton were the only to achieve pass marks, I'm afraid.

Onion
07-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Agree LS was one of the very few that didn't hide tonight and gave his all. But I'm not going to congratulating him for that. That's the very least we can expect from any Hibs player.

We should be much more concerned about the many others who hid, shirked and moaned their way through the game.

truehibernian
07-04-2014, 09:29 PM
I've knocked him now and again on footballing terms but that lad has bottle, pride and loves this club. The others don't even come close to Lewis in terms of commitment and professional pride.

Him and Sam (and Alex, whose touch at times let him down) were the only players who wanted to pass, move and get forward.

The rest will need oxygen tanks for 1) the times they punted it into the sky and 2) because they are unfit.

gaz1875
07-04-2014, 09:32 PM
I've knocked him now and again on footballing terms but that lad has bottle, pride and loves this club. The others don't even come close to Lewis in terms of commitment and professional pride.

Him and Sam (and Alex, whose touch at times let him down) were the only players who wanted to pass, move and get forward.

The rest will need oxygen tanks for 1) the times they punted it into the sky and 2) because they are unfit.

I said the same, the only 3 players that pushed the team forward. It never came of for Harris but he looked much more direct hopefully things will click soon. As for Craig he can GTF!!!!

Thecat23
07-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Give him the captains armband.

The boy has heart and fight he loves the club. Tell one one player out there tonight that has what he has??

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-04-2014, 09:34 PM

The boy has heart and fight he loves the club. Tell one one player out there tonight that has what he has??

None.

500miles
07-04-2014, 09:36 PM
We need to get him into the middle of the park where he can make the most of his tenacity, willingness to get on the ball, and his desire to get the ball down.

ionahibby
07-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Him harris and Stanton stood out for me the rest can get to f***!

Seveno
07-04-2014, 09:38 PM

Totally agree. He certainly leads by example.

07-04-2014, 09:40 PM
He got stuck in and ran himself into the ground - if the rest of the players had half the work ethic and guts as him we would be in a better position. Still think he gets a hell of a lot of unfair abuse though, like a previous poster said, he's one of the very few who look like they actually give a ****.

Well done Lewis

Eyrie
07-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Best player for us tonight, again.

Torto7062
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM

He's been knocked for years and
at one point wasn't even sure he would
get a new contract. ..Thomson and Lewis
In Central mid for me every time

Jonnyboy
07-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Lewis did what he always does, gave 100% for the jersey. Well deserved man of the match :agree:

zolliehibs
07-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Agreed, Lewis played well tonight. Made a mockery of those saying he couldn't play left back. Actually thought Cairney played pretty well too, disappointed not to see anyone mention him since most of our half-chances in the second half came from him!

Sir David Gray
07-04-2014, 10:33 PM
I've been guilty in the past of saying that we need better than Lewis Stevenson if we're going to progress as a club but I was wrong.

Lewis Stevenson is exactly the sort of player that we need. He never gives up, is the most dependable player in the squad and gives everything he's got for the club.

I wish we had 11 Lewis Stevensons.

The only players (I'm not counting Ben Williams as he is clearly not to blame for our predicament) that I would wish to see in our team next season are Stevenson and Sam Stanton.

I honestly couldn't care less if I never saw the rest of them again.

hibee_girl
07-04-2014, 10:35 PM
I've been guilty in the past of saying that we need better than Lewis Stevenson if we're going to progress as a club but I was wrong.

Lewis Stevenson is exactly the sort of player that we need. He never gives up, is the most dependable player in the squad and gives everything he's got for the club.

The only players (I'm not counting Ben Williams as he is clearly not to blame for our predicament) that I would wish to see in our team next season are Stevenson and Sam Stanton.

:top marks

matty_f
07-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Lewis shoes more fight and determination than the rest of the team combined. One of only a few players in the team that don't deserve to go down if the worst happens.

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Lewis did what he always does, gave 100% for the jersey. Well deserved man of the match :agree:

:agree: He was the only option.

Hibercelona
07-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Stevenson has been a very unappreciated player for us IMO. He's very unfortunate to be caught in all of this as I think he's actually a very good player that is suffering from a lack of options when he's on the ball.

John Rankin suffered from the same problem when he was with us. Now he's an intricate part of a Dundee Utd team that play really good football.

If Stevenson were to leave us for the likes of Dundee Utd, Motherwell or St Johnstone, he'd be a valuable asset to their team. That I have no doubt.

Pete
07-04-2014, 10:44 PM
The one thing that stood out tonight was Stevensons ability to bring the ball under control.

How sad is it when players that can trap a ball stand out?

Stantons Angel
07-04-2014, 11:02 PM

it makes a nice change to read such a honest post like this. Lewis has taken a lot of hammerings this season from posters on here and its good to see at least one doubter admit he has changed his mind.

i have always backed the player and always will as he gives everything for that jersey. Again tonight he was the only one willing to go into a tackle and win the ball. He pushed his team forwards but didnt get any response at all from those around him.

Well done Lewis, you deserve the praise!

Saorsa
07-04-2014, 11:07 PM
whatever anybody thinks of Stevenson he's ten times the person and character of some of these *****

macd123
08-04-2014, 02:00 AM

Agreed. Would be good to see his energy in central midfield.

Russ
08-04-2014, 02:02 AM
Him harris and Stanton stood out for me the rest can get to f***! Harris? what game were you watching

GreenLake
08-04-2014, 04:04 AM
I liked Stevenson tonight. He will be a great player in a better team. He has a lot of courage to stick at it after all the abuse. His passing is getting better too, which was what I thought was his biggest weakness in the early part of the season. There are a few players I like in this team and I can see it getting a lot better with a few rids and gets.

GreenLake
08-04-2014, 04:10 AM
Harris? what game were you watching

It was not really working for him but I think it is getting closer for him though. Persist with a bit longer and he might develop on his own without experienced players carrying him. It's not easy for a young lad to have no lift from experienced players. He isn't getting any from Craig.

I'm backing Harris for a big improvement before the end of this season and player of the year next.

500miles
08-04-2014, 05:44 AM
It was not really working for him but I think it is getting closer for him though. Persist with a bit longer and he might develop on his own without experienced players carrying him. It's not easy for a young lad to have no lift from experienced players. He isn't getting any from Craig.

I'm backing Harris for a big improvement before the end of this season and player of the year next.

I agree. It wasn't coming off for him, but he's struggled for game time this season. A bit of consistency would be helpful.

Shrekko
08-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Harris? what game were you watching

He didn't have a blinder or anything but last night was a big step forward for Harris I'd say. First time since he came back that he looked sharp and willing to really get involved. Looked like his confidence is starting to come back and we all know what he's capable off. Butcher should stick with him now IMO.

CB_NO3
08-04-2014, 07:54 AM
I thought Taiwo was our best player last night. Stevenson did have a good game at Left back. I prefer him to be playing there to be honest as he offers no attacking threat at left midfield and the way McGovern has been playing, Stevenson looks the safer option.

dp00
08-04-2014, 09:20 AM
There was a point in game last night where Aberdeen broke and Lewis sprinted all the way to the side line to make a crunching challenge... You just knew he was going into it full welt with only one outcome , the attack being stopped.. He may not be the best bit if the other 10 showed his fight and determination we would be in the top half of the league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spike220
08-04-2014, 09:27 AM
There was a point in game last night where Aberdeen broke and Lewis sprinted all the way to the side line to make a crunching challenge... You just knew he was going into it full welt with only one outcome , the attack being stopped.. He may not be the best bit if the other 10 showed his fight and determination we would be in the top half of the league

:agree:

1875M
08-04-2014, 09:27 AM
If we had 11 players with the same passion for Hibs as Lewis Stevenson we wouldn't be in this position, simple as that

The_Sauz
08-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Petrie Out....Lewis In :greengrin

Benny Brazil
08-04-2014, 10:48 AM
I thought Taiwo was our best player last night. Stevenson did have a good game at Left back. I prefer him to be playing there to be honest as he offers no attacking threat at left midfield and the way McGovern has been playing, Stevenson looks the safer option.

Really? Thought Taiwo was just as bad as everyone else.
Stevenson determination, drive and willingness to fight for everything are what we need right now. He deserved man of the match - but lets be honest - there wasnt many contenders for that. He should be kept at left back I would say its his best position - one thing that worried me though was the Sheep put Rooney out on the left, I presume because of the height difference - other teams could pick up on this something Lewis needs to be aware of.
Am confused about Stanton. I think he will be a great player but he looks jaded and dare I say it weak - he was outmuscled too easily, nothing came off for him and he missed our best chance of the match.
Harris - needs to stop cutting in on to his right foot - or be played on the right - he didnt go past the full back once but always cut inside.

erin-go-bragh87
08-04-2014, 01:12 PM

100% agree. Definite captain for me. Utter professional that's worked hard to make the most of the talent he's been given.

dangermouse
08-04-2014, 02:08 PM

Too many of our players last night gave up chasing the ball Lewis didn't and ran himself into the ground. MOM well deserved. The fitness/lack of stamina of some of our players is a worry.

truehibernian
08-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Too many of our players last night gave up chasing the ball Lewis didn't and ran himself into the ground. MOM well deserved. The fitness/lack of stamina of some of our players is a worry.

Watching the game back Lewis rarely loses possession all game. Watch again and see Nelson, first half in particular, continually loft balls forward whilst not even looking who he is passing to - that is just basic basic football skills he is bereft of. McGivern starts to play possession football first 20 minutes however then gets drawn into the same ploy his partner uses.

Cairney consistently loses the ball by either poor first touch, or playing it too far in front of him. Liam Craig starts okay, then for some inexcusable reason thinks to himself he can play high up the pitch, not track back, and twice go looking for free kicks that no one in the ground saw. Spends most of the latter part of the second half on the grass or moaning at Madden.

Harris started brightly and then again, for some reason, Hibs then start to play more down the right and into Forster and Cairney.

Taiwo actually had a decent first half but tired - probably down to Craig being a right slow, lazy brain cant.

Just miserable football - negative, one dimensional, industrial - and bringing on a lad for 1 minute when 2-0 down :confused: go Terry go Terry go Terry :aok:

Bostonhibby
08-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Another good performance, harder to do when you mostly have a dire, gutless bunch around you but the best Hibs player on the park by a country mile, Collins, Forster and Stanton never gave up the ghost either. Stanton seem to have the same attitude as Lewis at the moment. For me we want Lewis as captain in central midfield alongside Thomson and Robertson when he is fit.

Edit: and if we are going to blood more of the undoubtedly talented youngsters we have lets do it under Lewis as captain. Someone they can look up to.

hibseleven
08-04-2014, 03:40 PM
I like Stevenson. He'd be in my Hibs squad/team every day of the week. Never gives up, tries his best with very little support around him.

Guys that sit in front of me can't wait to have a go at him. Really does my box in.

hibsbollah
08-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Ive always been a Lewis fan as a footballer, but he just isnt captain material in my opinion. You've never met a shyer, almost embarrassed to be a professional footballer character in all your days. The ideal scenario would be a confident, chippy Boozy type as captain sat next to him in midfield (or at left centre back or wherever Lewis is deployed). Unfortunately, we have Liam Craig.

MrRobot
08-04-2014, 04:00 PM
No matter how well Stevenson plays though, there is always going to be somebody saying "if he's our best player, this is the reason we are sh*te".

Talk about encouragement. Guy plays well, gets branded useless still. This is one of the things wrong at Hibs.

Lewis Stevenson is one of the only players who cares about the result in the team, will fight for a ball he knows he is more likely to lose but doesnt want to give up. e's the type of player that every team does need, even if it isn't always in a starting role.

I would like to see him try more central midfield though. But at the moment as long as it keeps McGivern away from LB, keep him there.

McGivern has had too many chances and just isn't good enough im afraid.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2014, 04:53 PM
No matter how well Stevenson plays though, there is always going to be somebody saying "if he's our best player, this is the reason we are sh*te".

Talk about encouragement. Guy plays well, gets branded useless still. This is one of the things wrong at Hibs.

Lewis Stevenson is one of the only players who cares about the result in the team, will fight for a ball he knows he is more likely to lose but doesnt want to give up. e's the type of player that every team does need, even if it isn't always in a starting role.

I would like to see him try more central midfield though. But at the moment as long as it keeps McGivern away from LB, keep him there.

McGivern has had too many chances and just isn't good enough im afraid.

I know what you mean but at the end of the day when all is typed and done this is just a message board. It can but doesn't necessarily spur folks into action (although there are many notable charitable causes where folks have done just that). As we keep on hearing - actions speak louder than words and Hibstory records that Lewis was voted player of the season - albeit a season to forget but some folks appreciate what he brings to the club.

Cropley10
08-04-2014, 07:33 PM
My son came back from sitting in Section 43 singing the Lewis Stevenson song.

Says it all really - noisy Hibees know the score, Lewis is a player. :aok:

Cropley10
08-04-2014, 07:35 PM

There was that tackle he put in second half against the black guy, is it Logan? Lewis looked like he was doing about 30mph. He can really shift.

Ronniekirk
08-04-2014, 07:38 PM
I know what you mean but at the end of the day when all is typed and done this is just a message board. It can but doesn't necessarily spur folks into action (although there are many notable charitable causes where folks have done just that). As we keep on hearing - actions speak louder than words and Hibstory records that Lewis was voted player of the season - albeit a season to forget but some folks appreciate what he brings to the club.
Yep 11 players that try like Lewis and are honest would not see us set the heather on fire but we wouldn't be in a play off dog fight iether

jon paul jones
08-04-2014, 07:44 PM
My son came back from sitting in Section 43 singing the Lewis Stevenson song.

Says it all really - noisy Hibees know the score, Lewis is a player. :aok:

Tell him to stand then and sing the Lewis song...its the 43 way!!!

Hibee Ryan
08-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Stevenson stands out now because of his work rate but he's the sort of player that will only get better if there is better players around him.

He understands his strengths and weaknesses and despite never being the most naturally talented player in the squad I think 90% of Hibs fans would rather have him than any other player in the squad and I want to see him played in his strongest position at CM. You just need to look at his performance in the CIS cup final to realise what he brings and he would be perfect in there with Stanton.

Scouse Hibee
08-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Just a normal run of the mill game for Mr Lewis Consistancy Stevenson, the guy is immense and so under valued by many.

Scouse Hibee
08-04-2014, 10:54 PM
There was that tackle he put in second half against the black guy, is it Logan? Lewis looked like he was doing about 30mph. He can really shift.

When I saw him motoring I thought I was going to see another steam train tackle like Ian Murray on Henkel at the same spot several years ago.

Bayern Bru
08-04-2014, 10:59 PM
There's a reason SEVEN managers have regularly played him - and it's not because he's a useful utility player (although it probably adds to his appeal) or because 'he'll play anywhere to get a game'.

I genuinely think he's one of those players who 'would play anywhere if needed.'

That sort of attitude is what's missing from most of our squad, and I feel for Lewis - it must be bloody hard work giving it 100% when half your team-mates are pissing about and couldn't give a toss.

Centre Hawf
09-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Me and the Mrs have a "celebrity" list where we'd be allowed to if we had the chance. Funnily enough Stevenson makes it into both of ours :greengrin