PDA

View Full Version : NHC Red Road Flats

Seveno
06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
I have to say that the plan to show the demolition of these flats in the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games as a display of the re-generation of Glasgow seems plain nuts.

However, if news from Kaunas tomorrow leads to the big L for our neighbours and they are followed by their big cousins, the demolition of the PBS and Castlegreyskull would be an excellent demonstration that Scottish businesses now pay their tax and creditors.

The Pointer
06-04-2014, 09:12 PM
I thought it was a great idea when I first heard it and think it's even better now. A big bang to start off the games and show the world that the Weege is all about regeneration. Lucky folk are getting re-housed so what's the prob?

Northernhibee
06-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I thought it was a great idea when I first heard it and think it's even better now. A big bang to start off the games and show the world that the Weege is all about regeneration. Lucky folk are getting re-housed so what's the prob?

Honestly, it sounds like the most ludicrious idea in some time. Are people watching going to think "Oh, it's about regeneration and it's good for those people to get rehoused" or is it just going to go down like a lead balloon?

Phil D. Rolls
06-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Honestly, it sounds like the most ludicrious idea in some time. Are people watching going to think "Oh, it's about regeneration and it's good for those people to get rehoused" or is it just going to go down like a lead balloon?

It's bonkers, heavens knows what other countries will make of it.

Scouse Hibee
06-04-2014, 09:51 PM
It's original and unlikely to ever be copied...................I like it.

surreyhibbie
06-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Blowing up big parts of weegie land?

What's not to like?:greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-04-2014, 10:55 PM
I think it's tremendous. Really different. If Tynecastle was to be added, who am I to complain...?

nickwhibs
07-04-2014, 12:16 AM
I think it's a poor decision. Insensitive to the people who grew up there. Not to mention making people evacuate their nearby homes for it to happen. And surely demolishing something isn't exactly symbolic of what Scotland and the games are about

heretoday
07-04-2014, 08:32 AM
It's daft to me. It's like foisting a local issue onto the world stage. People in poverty-stricken parts of the Commonwealth are going to think; "Blowing up houses is a celebration?"

If Glasgow and Scotland want to go international then something classier is required in my view.

nickwhibs
07-04-2014, 09:47 AM
It's daft to me. It's like foisting a local issue onto the world stage. People in poverty-stricken parts of the Commonwealth are going to think; "Blowing up houses is a celebration?"

If Glasgow and Scotland want to go international then something classier is required in my view.

Exactly.

Keith_M
07-04-2014, 09:50 AM

This, FACT, etc.

s.a.m
07-04-2014, 09:58 AM
I can see what they're trying to do, but it strikes me as being a bit tasteless, and irrelevant/bizarre for the rest of the international audience (as other have pointed out.) The demolition of residential buildings means a lot of different things to different people, but for many it will be poignant or even sad because they of the lives they lived there, and the family members who died there. However much these particular buildings are unwanted now, they have been a part of many families lives, and including the demolition as part of an opening ceremony spectacular just seems to strike the wrong note .

Phil D. Rolls
07-04-2014, 11:10 AM

Excellent point. There is also the issue of what it says to the asylum seekers in the remaining block.

To the credit of the Glaswegian people, they are already challenging this ill thought out idea.