PDA

View Full Version : Overseas supporters - new HibsTV service for 2014-15

hongkonghibee
06-04-2014, 07:29 AM
I have just received an email from Andrew at HibsTV saying that improvements are planned for next season for overseas supporters. In particular they hope to combine the HibsTVXtra and HibsTV International service into one better service . http://hibs-world.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=240&pid=1518#pid1518

Hibrandenburg
06-04-2014, 07:37 AM
I have just received an email from Andrew at HibsTV saying that improvements are planned for next season for overseas supporters. In particular they hope to combine the HibsTVXtra and HibsTV International service into one better service . http://hibs-world.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=240&pid=1518#pid1518

Won't be throwing my money away on this anymore. Tried to get the last derby on three different devices at home and never got past the buffering when logging in. There was no online help available and I never even got a reply to my email I sent them when I finally gave up trying. Very disappointing.

WellingtonHibby
06-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Won't be throwing my money away on this anymore. Tried to get the last derby on three different devices at home and never got past the buffering when logging in. There was no online help available and I never even got a reply to my email I sent them when I finally gave up trying. Very disappointing.

Found it to be really good this year. Got a really good stream every time

Hongkong Phooey
06-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Have to be honest, the stream has been good for me this year too. It's the fitba that's been honking more often than not!

Are you using Google Chrome as a browser - the streams are much more stable on this for some reason. Really need an iPad version too - feel a bit of a plonker shouting at my laptop from my HK local!:rolleyes:

PeeJay
06-04-2014, 09:08 AM

I stopped the Hibs TV International service a while back because of the buffering, the poor "disinterested & neutral"commentary and the lack of any proper service - I went with Hibs TV Xtra because it showed all the home games, had Hibs as commentators and Andrew and the Xtra team always responded speedily to any queries/problems - the stream doesn't "always" work perfectly, but it was generally acceptable - for me anyway.

Not sure what part of Berlin you are in, but here in Steglitz (with Telekom) the Xtra stream is - as I say - generally OK on both my Windows and Mac platforms - won't work on IE, I believe!. Had hoped to be able to watch it on my iPad, but "they" are "still working on that" for some reason it seems ...

Berwickhibby
06-04-2014, 09:27 AM
The stream has been okay the majority of the time here in Malta..... A few buffering issues but hopefully that will improve as technology progresses. Now the fitba on the park that's where the real problem lies

Time For Heroes
06-04-2014, 10:44 AM
For me improvements are definitely needed, spent a few years in Oz and basically felt like I was wasting my money. Back in the Uk this season so not sure if it has gotten better though.

The Green Goblin
06-04-2014, 01:20 PM
It's a good service which has made several leaps in quality this season alone. The people who run it make it clear they are open to suggestions and they respond to them, two examples of that being the very existence of the Xtra service due to folk wanting to see all home games, and the improvement in the picture quality. I have watched almost every game available this season on both Hibernian TV and Hibernian Xtra and, apart from a couple of games where there was buffering, it has been totally fine. The desire to improve the service is always evident and it's Hibs people doing it themselves for the benefit of overseas fans for whom this service is a lifeline. Yes, there are little issues from time to time, but they work fast to resolve them, and they are not Sky or the BBC and neither are the resources at their disposal. If you want a comparison to other such services, my pal here in SP supports Wigan: recent FA Cup winners and relegated Premiership side- and she gets a radio commentary of the games through their "overseas service" and counts her blessings. We get live streams with a Hibs commentary bias, interviews before the game, tonnes of interviews and features during the week, extended highlights, the club matchday programme by e-mail and regular updates on future plans by e-mail. By buying the service, we also get the chance to put money into the club as a supporter. It's a very good and constantly improving service and we are lucky to have it. Looking forward to whatever changes next season will bring (and not just at Hibs tv either!)

Hibrandenburg
06-04-2014, 04:16 PM
I stopped the Hibs TV International service a while back because of the buffering, the poor "disinterested & neutral"commentary and the lack of any proper service - I went with Hibs TV Xtra because it showed all the home games, had Hibs as commentators and Andrew and the Xtra team always responded speedily to any queries/problems - the stream doesn't "always" work perfectly, but it was generally acceptable - for me anyway.

Not sure what part of Berlin you are in, but here in Steglitz (with Telekom) the Xtra stream is - as I say - generally OK on both my Windows and Mac platforms - won't work on IE, I believe!. Had hoped to be able to watch it on my iPad, but "they" are "still working on that" for some reason it seems ...

I'm in Mariendorf and have no problems with my internet speed. I tried 3 different devices including my pc and iPad because on the site it said it was compatible with Apple software.

I've used the service in the past and I'm aware that technical hitches are part and parcel of live streaming and that's ok. The site has a chat window where online support can be given, there was no one there. There was also an email link where you can contact the admins, a week has now passed and I've still not had a reply. If you're going to ask people to pay for a service then you have to provide that service.

No support, no reply to my query and no game. Marks out of ten? Zero!

HiBremian
06-04-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm in Mariendorf and have no problems with my internet speed. I tried 3 different devices including my pc and iPad because on the site it said it was compatible with Apple software.

I've used the service in the past and I'm aware that technical hitches are part and parcel of live streaming and that's ok. The site has a chat window where online support can be given, there was no one there. There was also an email link where you can contact the admins, a week has now passed and I've still not had a reply. If you're going to ask people to pay for a service then you have to provide that service.

No support, no reply to my query and no game. Marks out of ten? Zero!

Sad to hear about these problems, Paul. I've generally had a good stream for games, with a couple of exceptions as others have posted. There were a few times early in the season when I used the chat window at the start of matches to help get sound levels sorted (being a bit of a sound recordist myself), and the dialogue, and changes in sound levels, were both prompt, so I don't know why you never got a response. I did notice, though, that the stream resolution of Hibs TV xtra was always much poorer than that of the broadcast feeds. But then that's not exactly surprising.

The stream has never worked on my iPad, but I remember a couple of seasons ago I had a separate subscription for ipod, so it could be the advice about the stream working on ipad goes back to then. So for me it makes sense to sort all that historical mess out by bringing all the various streams together into one clear package. And as others have said, it's Hibs people doing the work for Hibs fans, so my feeling is, as long as the service is going in the right direction, it's worth supporting. But maybe next season people should be given the chance to try things out at odd games and have a half-season ticket option available later.

Having said that, if the fitba' on the pitch carries on the way it's going, I'd rather go fishing than sit in front my Mac :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OsloHibs
06-04-2014, 06:31 PM
I've had zero problems at all with overseas TV and the streams have been great.. Now, only if the football was the same!
Big thanks from me to everyone involved :)