PDA

View Full Version : artificial pitch

nribs
05-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Is it time we laid one at Easter Road? No need to lay a new pitch every season. Able to train on ot should we wish. Fans can pay to play on it. Great surface week in week out. Huge saving on upkeep.

Centre Hawf
05-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Is it time we laid one at Easter Road? No need to lay a new pitch every season. Able to train on ot should we wish. Fans can pay to play on it. Great surface week in week out. Huge saving on upkeep.

Some if the surfaces you get now are excellent. I know i would gladly pay to play at Easter Road if it were possible.

nribs
05-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Some if the surfaces you get now are excellent. I know i would gladly pay to play at Easter Road if it were possible.
***** it I should have made it a poll :)

05-04-2014, 06:14 PM
We now have a cracking stadium that is going to be in demand for things like semi-finals/finals etc. which is a good wee bit of revenue for hibs but of course that can potentially come at the price of a good playing surface if its being used a lot so might be worth considering tbh.

Centre Hawf
05-04-2014, 06:14 PM
***** it I should have made it a poll :)

I wouldn't imagine a lot would be against the idea. Although I remember my dad playing on Dunfermline's pitch back in the day when it was plastic. The state of his legs after it was eye watering. Moved on from the early attempts now though.

Ozyhibby
05-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Even the old sand based pitches would be an improvement on the current Easter road pitch.
It's a yes from me.

scuttle
05-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Maybe should be practicing a bit more on them as two possible play off opponents play on them. Defeatist I know but a possibility none the less

Islington Hibs
05-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Our pitch may not have held up well, but call me a reactionary, but I think the game should be played on grass.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-04-2014, 06:18 PM
We should play our games at Lochend Astro :greengrin

Ozyhibby
05-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Our pitch may not have held up well, but call me a reactionary, but I think the game should be played on grass.

If we had a grass pitch I would agree with you.
:-)

Centre Hawf
05-04-2014, 06:21 PM
We should play our games at Lochend Astro :greengrin

That is the true home of football.

hibbymick
05-04-2014, 06:22 PM
In 50 years time the young yins wont believe that fitbaw used to be played on grass. Global warming has got us i tells ye. Plastic pitches will be the norm.:cb

nribs
05-04-2014, 06:35 PM
That's just it. Yes the game should be played on grass but we never have any unfortunately.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-04-2014, 06:38 PM
That is the true home of football.

You bet:agree:

erskine-hibby
05-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Some of these mixed synthetic and grass pitches are great, just look at the EPL. They are even laying one at Murrayfield.

SmashinGlass
05-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Maybe should be practicing a bit more on them as two possible play off opponents play on them. Defeatist I know but a possibility none the less

Fear not, East Mains has a full size synthetic pitch. :thumbsup:

Jamesie
05-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Some of these mixed synthetic and grass pitches are great, just look at the EPL. They are even laying one at Murrayfield.

Get one of these pitches down and we could end up renting the stadium to Edinburgh Rugby like we did in the 1990s - every extra £ helps!

Jones28
05-04-2014, 07:02 PM
You bet:agree:

I see lochend

And raise you the Pitts at porty! :greengrin

Or better yet, WOF!

Centre Hawf
05-04-2014, 07:18 PM
I see lochend

Or better yet, WOF!

Always wanted to see Hibs at the Bernabeu or the Nou Cap!

The Gorf
05-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I mentioned this on another thread a few weeks back and one of the posters was/is a director of the Company that lays these pitches eg: all the International rugby stadiums except Murrayfield. They are half grass half synthetic. I personally like the smell of the mud and grass at games but I can't help despairing at the state of ER most seasons. Remember when Deeks was fined fir having the audacity to slag the pitch at ER as it's in their contracts not to say anything against the Club.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I see lochend

Or better yet, WOF!

Maybe even Meadowbank! Indoor or outdoor:thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
05-04-2014, 07:29 PM
I mentioned this on another thread a few weeks back and one of the posters was/is a director of the Company that lays these pitches eg: all the International rugby stadiums except Murrayfield. They are half grass half synthetic. I personally like the smell of the mud and grass at games but I can't help despairing at the state of ER most seasons. Remember when Deeks was fined fir having the audacity to slag the pitch at ER as it's in their contracts not to say anything against the Club.
Its a poster called Russian Hibs, I was speaking to him at Tynie on Sunday about the costs of these sort of pitches

The Gorf
05-04-2014, 07:32 PM
That's right. I remember him now. If he's a Hibby then Shirley a wee discount wouldnae go amiss.

erskine-hibby
05-04-2014, 07:40 PM
I think they are pretty expensive, but lower maintenance costs and, as mentioned before, the possibility of attracting extra income, should help with the cost.

weecounty hibby
05-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Plastic pitches have come on leaps and bounds. I have actually played rugby on a 4G rugby pitch and it was much better than i expected. Football is different though and i think there is a very unnatural roll and bounce of the football that doesnt suit the game.

WHUHibs
05-04-2014, 08:11 PM

True about Murrayfield we are putting it down in May.

Just finished one of the world cup pitches and to be honest the Brazilian situation is a nightmare and they will struggle to get it all finished.. Now off to create the Singapore Sports hub,,, followed by Bayern Munich and PSG so we are really busy,,,

As I have said before its a nylon injected product into the roots of the grass and when it grows with the grass it plays perfectly. Just look at Wembley, Arsenal etc and in fact we now have 17 premier league pitches. The only challenge to SPL taking this on is the cost.

The 3g pitches we all produce and good quality but thats different from Grassmaster( our patented product) which is what I am mentioning above. I am not really in favour of premier teams playing on 3G as I still think development is crucial to really make it perfect for playing top flight football. Interesting enough bamboo could be an option in the future for 3g pitches as the retention of water will create less burn and is proving to have a better quality bounce of the ball. However, all development needs FIFA approval and that is not as easy as it would seem.

silverhibee
05-04-2014, 08:23 PM

No No No

nribs
05-04-2014, 08:24 PM
No No Noyou sure then?

nribs
05-04-2014, 08:27 PM

Just finished one of the world cup pitches and to be honest the Brazilian situation is a nightmare and they will struggle to get it all finished.. Now off to create the Singapore Sports hub,,, followed by Bayern Munich and PSG so we are really busy,,,

As I have said before its a nylon injected product into the roots of the grass and when it grows with the grass it plays perfectly. Just look at Wembley, Arsenal etc and in fact we now have 17 premier league pitches. The only challenge to SPL taking this on is the cost.

The 3g pitches we all produce and good quality but thats different from Grassmaster( our patented product) which is what I am mentioning above. I am not really in favour of premier teams playing on 3G as I still think development is crucial to really make it perfect for playing top flight football. Interesting enough bamboo could be an option in the future for 3g pitches as the retention of water will create less burn and is proving to have a better quality bounce of the ball. However, all development needs FIFA approval and that is not as easy as it would seem.Nice post. What are the costs involved? You mention the big EPL clubs but don't they have the lights to encourage the grass to grow?

Swedish hibee
05-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Yes from me.

Thecat23
05-04-2014, 09:08 PM

The 3g pitches we all produce and good quality but thats different from Grassmaster( our patented product) which is what I am mentioning above. I am not really in favour of premier teams playing on 3G as I still think development is crucial to really make it perfect for playing top flight football. Interesting enough bamboo could be an option in the future for 3g pitches as the retention of water will create less burn and is proving to have a better quality bounce of the ball. However, all development needs FIFA approval and that is not as easy as it would seem.

Good post mate and good bit of info. I'm with you I think the pitches Arsenal and the one at wembley are fantastic. The sad thing is we would require a full time groundsman/team and also the use of heat lamps if I'm not mistaken?

Can see that being put to bed with Rod.

seanshow
05-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Nice post. What are the costs involved? You mention the big EPL clubs but don't they have the lights to encourage the grass to grow?

There is no mention of costs on the Desso Grassmaster site...so I presume it's a fair outlay to have the pitch laid and maintained.
Wembley's pitch was £250k in 2010 apparently Wembley (http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/192023/Wembley-s-new-250-000-Desso-pitch)

....also I notice according to Wikipedia we already have one anyway!! could have fooled me lol Grassmaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desso_GrassMaster)

WHUHibs
06-04-2014, 05:52 AM
Good post mate and good bit of info. I'm with you I think the pitches Arsenal and the one at wembley are fantastic. The sad thing is we would require a full time groundsman/team and also the use of heat lamps if I'm not mistaken?

Thanks Cat,,

Yes you need a full time groundsman,,and the heat lamps are important. Some grounds only use 3 where Man united use 10... The heat lamps are used the help the grass grow to maintain 100% perfection and stadia grass get little wind or heat due to shading from stands.

Quite often good groundsmen get head hunted for example Spurs lost theirs to PSG and he insisted on grass master ...

For me to sponsor a pitch is huge investment as you sub contract in the installation team using our equipment and these guys work across the world. By sponsoring a pitch you would use it to promote your product but sadly in Scotland no one will buy so the sponsorship becomes worthless. If you however mention our portfolio it sells itself I.e Arsenal, Liverpool, Wembley, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man City, Man united to name a few it sells itself! Often thought about getting hibs.net guys a trip to a ground to walk on the pitch etc before a game,,might organise that one day when I have time :-)

GoldenEagle
06-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Does anyone remember Hibs starting a campaign called "Pitch In" where the club were going to install an artificial turf?

Probably around 10 year ago now .

TBH a capital outlay of £250k should be within the means of a club with a £8m turnover

The Gorf
06-04-2014, 08:00 AM

Why is that man so blinkered? Great stadium, great training ground and a jobby of a pitch.

Ozyhibby
06-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Does anyone remember Hibs starting a campaign called "Pitch In" where the club were going to install an artificial turf?

Probably around 10 year ago now .

TBH a capital outlay of £250k should be within the means of a club with a £8m turnover

It's the ongoing maintenance that is the problem. We can't afford to run lighting rigs etc.
There are only three solutions to our pitch problem that we van afford. We either go to summer football, install an artificial pitch or carry on playing on a cabbage patch.

Ozyhibby
06-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks Cat,,

Yes you need a full time groundsman,,and the heat lamps are important. Some grounds only use 3 where Man united use 10... The heat lamps are used the help the grass grow to maintain 100% perfection and stadia grass get little wind or heat due to shading from stands.

Quite often good groundsmen get head hunted for example Spurs lost theirs to PSG and he insisted on grass master ...

For me to sponsor a pitch is huge investment as you sub contract in the installation team using our equipment and these guys work across the world. By sponsoring a pitch you would use it to promote your product but sadly in Scotland no one will buy so the sponsorship becomes worthless. If you however mention our portfolio it sells itself I.e Arsenal, Liverpool, Wembley, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man City, Man united to name a few it sells itself! Often thought about getting hibs.net guys a trip to a ground to walk on the pitch etc before a game,,might organise that one day when I have time :-)

The portfolio is impressive but as it only includes the mega rich of European football I doubt that Hibs will be able to afford it.

Ozyhibby
06-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Why is that man so blinkered? Great stadium, great training ground and a jobby of a pitch.

There is no way we can afford a synthetic hybrid pitch.

GoldenEagle
06-04-2014, 09:48 AM
It's the ongoing maintenance that is the problem. We can't afford to run lighting rigs etc.
There are only three solutions to our pitch problem that we van afford. We either go to summer football, install an artificial pitch or carry on playing on a cabbage patch.

How much does it cost to run lighting rigs etc on an annual basis?

woodyloon
06-04-2014, 10:10 AM
My Local club Forfar Athletic have a 3G pitch laid just over a year ago, think it was at a cost of around £370,000. I think the original funding was through the ladies team Forfar Farmington or it might of been a joint award between the two clubs but Station Park was chosen as the location.

Forfar Athletic use the pitch for home games, youths and training, Forfar Farmington use it for the ladies senior team and training (they also have a floodlight grass pitch and club rooms) just at the back of Station Park. The local boys teams etc use it to train on and get the use for games especially when there is fixture backlogs. The two local junior team also use the pitch and Peterhead use it on a Wednesday. The pitch can be booked in quarters. The use of all or parts of the pitch can be booked via the local leisure centre so groups of boys etc who just fancy a kick around can book it.

As far as I'm aware it is a good income generator, although a certain amount of the income needs to be set aside for future maintenance, refurbishment.

Hero76
06-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Any jobs ?

SanFranHibs
06-04-2014, 10:39 AM
If we had a grass pitch I would agree with you.
:-)

;:wink:

Old Trafford : Then, in 2003, a pitch was grown from a blend of four different types of grass seed on a mixture of course sand and polypropylene nylon - and this pitch is still being used. The grass is mown three times a week in the summer months and once in week in the winter, when it continues to grow with the help of ‘Stadium Grow Lighting’ units.

Looking at some of the grass fields being played upon around the UK, even at the end of a long season some of them look immaculate. If they can do it, so can we.

I'm for grass !

The green green astroturf of home? Doe not even make a good song title.
:wink:

shetlandhibee
06-04-2014, 12:07 PM
When I was playing for aberdeen select we played Edinburgh on the pitch called Ainslie Park I think:confused: It was really good:top marks

Bostonhibby
06-04-2014, 12:17 PM
No No No

:agree: Not for me either, shouldn't even consider it until we have fully explored the artificial player option first. I am fed up of all the money going on infrastructure.

We have been blowing all our player budget on actual human beings for long enough, its clear that it's beyond them to do what most other teams of smaller budget and potential can so we should now look to technology for the solution to our on field problems.

Eyrie
06-04-2014, 12:22 PM
:agree: Not for me either, shouldn't even consider it until we have fully explored the artificial player option first. I am fed up of all the money going on infrastructure.

We have been blowing all our player budget on actual human beings for long enough, its clear that it's beyond them to do what most other teams of smaller budget and potential can so we should now look to technology for the solution to our on field problems.

Could this boy (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26892771) do a job for us?

scuttle
06-04-2014, 12:24 PM

Couldnae be any worse than McGivern

HappyHibby93
06-04-2014, 12:26 PM

£1.1 million, out of our budget... Haha!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Eyrie
06-04-2014, 12:39 PM
£1.1 million, out of our budget... Haha!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Fair point - would have to be a loan signing obviously.

Bostonhibby
06-04-2014, 12:44 PM

Exactly what we need, a big improvement on Robbie the robot from space family Robinson type figures we currently have in defence :-)