PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon not too happy in the Daily Record

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-04-2014, 04:05 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mcdermott-pat-fenlon-wrong-3364259

A particularly interesting read.

MWHIBBIES
05-04-2014, 04:27 AM
zzz, Fenlon topic is so boring now IMO, everyone should move on, including him...

lapsedhibee
05-04-2014, 04:58 AM
A DR 'journalist' complaining about lying. Bit like a Hearts apologist criticising foreigners for being dishonest.

Iain G
05-04-2014, 05:53 AM
So the only agenda for this article is driven by the fact that Pat didn't tell this egotistical hack that he was about to be unveiled as Hibs manager (understandable as they were probably in the last stages of negotiation) or that we were on the verge of signing Collins (again understandable as he wouldn't want his signing slipping away by the news appearing in the press) and he has held a grudge against him since then? Quality journalism then :rolleyes:

weonlywon6-2
05-04-2014, 05:54 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mcdermott-pat-fenlon-wrong-3364259

yes i agree, important that the papers are saying our players are poor also not just butcher,hope they read it and have a good think about where they are and buck their ideas up.

500miles
05-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Pat Fenlon is right. We had started the season with our two most creative wide players missing (Harris and Cairney) and it was obvious why we struggled so much without them.

If we are suggesting that Butcher has got as much out of the players as Fenlon did, we are kidding ourselves on. Liam Craig at holding midfield and Lewis Stevenson as a left winger is evidence that Butcher had not used this squad to the best of it's abilities. He's brought in the boy Boateng, who doesn't even seem good enough to get near a first eleven place.

I'm not saying Fenlon is perfect or would have definately turned things around, but Butcher has not made things better. He has misused the squad.

It's good toget an insight into why the press gave it to him so tight though. He didn't slip them information or kiss the arse like others, so he gets a poor press. No doubt a lot of folk, including Hibs fans, are easily swayed enough to believe it.

Thecat23
05-04-2014, 06:04 AM
Sounds to me both are fairly bitter. No interest in either to be honest. Pat left us with this horrific bunch of no hopers and should be criticized.

And this journo has the hump because "he didn't tell the truth" shock horror coming from a journo at the Daily Record!

bighairyfaeleith
05-04-2014, 06:21 AM
Even by DR standards thats a fairly pathetic article. The journalist needs to grow up, complaining because Pat wouldn't speak to him before he got the hibs job. What right does he have to get the scoop, none. Pat is obviously still hurting about what happened at hibs but should just let whats written go over his head however for the journalist to try and take the hump over it is even more pathetic.

Hate the DR and this article helps to illustrate why no one should ever buy the piece of **** paper.

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-04-2014, 06:30 AM
What a terrible article. Talk about having a chip on your shoulder FFS. Why the **** should he have told some two bit 'journalist' that he was getting the Hibs job? A guy he had spoken to once? I've gone for interviews and not even told my best mates. I'm fairly sure Petrie would have wanted it kept quiet until it was all sorted. The guy is bitter because he missed out on a headline.

Bit low to translate a private conversation into a story in the paper as well. But hey, it is the Record. Absolute comic.

Aldo
05-04-2014, 06:35 AM
Following the reports in the media/press/DR this week bout the Yams I find it a bit hypocritical of the to use that word 'Lying' or words of a similar definition.

They have failed time and time again to show any transparency whilst reporting in that mob forgetting how they got in this position and what they did to do so.

Winston Ingram
05-04-2014, 06:36 AM
The journo comes off worse in that article than PF.

Why the bloody hell should he tell him? A stranger phones you up and because you don't disclose details of a confidential business deal, your off on the 'wrong foot'. ********

Spike Mandela
05-04-2014, 06:36 AM
It does appear to be open season in the press on Hibs related people these days. Fenlon. O'Connor, Griffiths, Petrie, Butcher, unnamed fans alledgedly sending e-mail(as if:greengrin), Tom English's weekly digs :wink: blah blah blah.

The press do seem to rather enjoy putting the boot in for some reason.:rolleyes:

Elephant Stone
05-04-2014, 06:40 AM
But now Wee Pat wants everyone to go easy on him. He’s peeved at the fact Terry Butcher doesn’t appear to be getting as much stick as him.
Incredibly, he told that Sunday Mail writer that it was because Butcher is a former captain of Rangers. Wow.

Granted, Big Terry is courteous, welcoming and – when you ask him a question – he tells the truth. He even holds two press conferences a week at a sensible time.

I'm glad we've got Big Terry now. Thanks, Daily Record. You are always right.

AndyM_1875
05-04-2014, 06:53 AM
The journo comes off worse in that article than PF.

Why the bloody hell should he tell him? A stranger phones you up and because you don't disclose details of a confidential business deal, your off on the 'wrong foot'. ********

Aye. He's in the middle of confidential negotiations and a hack calls him. He thinks best to say nothing, hack takes the hump.
Hack can bugger off IMHO.

Jim44
05-04-2014, 06:56 AM
V*rm*n. Doesn't change my opinion of Fenlon's time at ER however.

chrisski33
05-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Nothing of real substance in that article! Journo sounds vit a twit though! But it is the dr afterall

lucky
05-04-2014, 07:35 AM
It's important for football managers to keep the press on side because when their team goes through a bad patch the press don't kick them. Wee Pat was awkward and the press went for him. How many on here complained we never seemed to get any good press coverage? Under TB we are playing crap but the press are going lightly on him because he's always got time for them. On the footballing side it was dire under PF, I've no doubt we would be in a lot worse position if he stayed. The article is right 5-1 and 9-0 will be his legacy at Hibs

marinello59
05-04-2014, 07:36 AM
It's important for football managers to keep the press on side because when their team goes through a bad patch the press don't kick them. Wee Pat was awkward and the press went for him. How many on here complained we never seemed to get any good press coverage? Under TB we are playing crap but the press are going lightly on him because he's always got time for them. On the footballing side it was dire under PF, I've no doubt we would be in a lot worse position if he stayed. The article is right 5-1 and 9-0 will be his legacy at Hibs

:top marks

Hibs Class
05-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Article says more about the writer than it does PF. And clearly an off the record conversation has a shelf life as far as the writer is concerned, given that he now writes about it - one decision PF got right.

Elephant Stone
05-04-2014, 07:38 AM

I'd rather have a manager unliked by the Daily Record but winning 35% of his games and still in the Scottish Cup than a PR friendly manager winning 23%, out of the Scottish cup and trying to avoid relegation. Maybe I don't read enough Daily Record.

Ronniekirk
05-04-2014, 07:47 AM
It does appear to be open season in the press on Hibs related people these days. Fenlon. O'Connor, Griffiths, Petrie, Butcher, unnamed fans alledgedly sending e-mail(as if:greengrin), Tom English's weekly digs :wink: blah blah blah.

The press do seem to rather enjoy putting the boot in for some reason.:rolleyes:

There is so little excitement around in Scottish football just now so our possible predicament of free falling into play offs and anything around hibs is fair game for press just now We have made ourselves sitting ducks .you don't see Petrie coming out to defend us he goes into hiding .

Ronniekirk
05-04-2014, 07:54 AM
I'd rather have a manager unliked by the Daily Record but winning 35% of his games and still in the Scottish Cup than a PR friendly manager winning 23%, out of the Scottish cup and trying to avoid relegation. Maybe I don't read enough Daily Record.

Stats speak for themselves To think we were second top at one point earlier in season .T B has dismantled this team too soon he should have waited till we were mathematically safe .Danny Handlings interview in Scotsman today oozes a lack of confidence and Pat Stanton is reflecting that players need to get finger out but doesn't see how things will change.That Elephant in the room just won't go away.

The Gorf
05-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Very un "PC" calling him "wee pat". Where's the size police?
This journalist is more bitter than "smaller than average" Pat.

green day
05-04-2014, 07:59 AM

This - while we will be lucky to get away from the playoff spot, I for one would like us to get a clean slate with the press, and terry seems to have a rapport.

As well as a performing team, we need feel good stories 'leaking' out, not negativity.

scoopyboy
05-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Stats speak for themselves To think we were second top at one point earlier in season .T B has dismantled this team too soon he should have waited till we were mathematically safe .Danny Handlings interview in Scotsman today oozes a lack of confidence and Pat Stanton is reflecting that players need to get finger out but doesn't see how things will change.That Elephant in the room just won't go away.

Were we second top at one point this season?

We started lose, lose, draw so I'm not so sure.

marinello59
05-04-2014, 08:01 AM

Lucky was referring to the press in general, not just the DR.
PF and the board adopted a bunker mentality to the media leaving a vacuum to be filled. It was madness given that there are acres of free 'advertising' to be grabbed in the papers every day. If a club gives them what they want to get out there then it's odds on it will be printed as space has to be filled. Give them nothing then you have relinquished control and will just have to take what you get.

Bostonhibby
05-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Daily ****** having any attention from fans that are not ugly sisters fans? WTF? never read it, never will, not even when they bring out the Colin Calderwood - the Glory Years edition.

Wish Fenlon no ill but not that bothered about what he has to say now.

Brizo
05-04-2014, 08:04 AM
You can tell by the "gurning" photo that accompanies the article that this is a DR hatchet job. Surprise, surprise, another DR "journalist" with an anti Hibs agenda.... I suppose Keith Jackshuns too busy on the radio nowadays to indulge that pet topic.

If a DR headline said the grass is green id want to go outside and check. I wonder how many Hibbies actually still buy / read this rag ? As others have said, this article says a lot more about the "journalist" and what constitutes "journalism" in this comic for grown ups.

Hibercelona
05-04-2014, 08:10 AM
They should just let the man get on with his life. He got the job and didn't do particularly well, but I have no doubt that he gave it his best shot anyway.

It's hard to "move on" when bog tabloids are constantly taking a dig. Naturally you're going to say something to defend yourself at some point.

clerriehibs
05-04-2014, 08:12 AM

0/10

Butcher may be getting an easy time. Good for him. But Hibs are getting ripped a new one on an almost daily basis, including this ***** article, which is simply about a so-called journo taking the huff and turning it into his contribution to the anti-Hibs "articles".

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2014, 08:14 AM
PF and the board adopted a bunker mentality to the media leaving a vacuum to be filled. It was madness given that their are acres of free 'advertising' to be grabbed in the papers every day. If a club gives them what they want to get out there then it's odds on it will be printed as space has to be filled. Give them nothing then you have relinquished control and will just have to take what you get.

:agree: I'm never going to be Fenlons biggest fan, but for me the reporter makes himself out to be a right cretin here. Yet that will be lost to most, and once again the national press are spouting negative reports when we all wish it was the opposite.

Sadly we seem a lot further away from positive press than we were when Fenlon was still at the club.

Cabbage East
05-04-2014, 08:16 AM
That article is disgusting and sums up how the media works in this country.

Heisenberg
05-04-2014, 08:20 AM
As much as I think Fenlon was a woeful manager who left us with a shan team that article reflects terribly on the DR and the journo. No surprise there then.

nribs
That article is disgusting and sums up how the media works in this country.wonder how many untruths that journalists has told in the DR because I can't recall the Record getting many exclusives right. Must be all those folk lying to them. Arsewipe!!

Elephant Stone
PF and the board adopted a bunker mentality to the media leaving a vacuum to be filled. It was madness given that their are acres of free 'advertising' to be grabbed in the papers every day. If a club gives them what they want to get out there then it's odds on it will be printed as space has to be filled. Give them nothing then you have relinquished control and will just have to take what you get.

It's always good to have positive publicity but that should not be something we judge our managers on, IMO. They're there to deal with the team, not snide, sensationalist journalists like the one who wrote that article. Butcher is really struggling but has the press eating out his hands, PF was doing considerably better and was slated from all corners, popular opinion can be totally independent of actual performance and I think we should judge our managers on actual performance rather than on the opinion of comic journalists, who I'd bet pay very little attention to Hibs in reality anyway.

#FromTheCapital
05-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Disgraceful article.

Danderhall Hibs
05-04-2014, 08:24 AM
You can tell by the "gurning" photo that accompanies the article that this is a DR hatchet job. Surprise, surprise, another DR "journalist" with an anti Hibs agenda.... I suppose Keith Jackshuns too busy on the radio nowadays to indulge that pet topic.

If a DR headline said the grass is green id want to go outside and check. I wonder how many Hibbies actually still buy / read this rag ? As others have said, this article says a lot more about the "journalist" and what constitutes "journalism" in this comic for grown ups.

As well as spouting crap on the radio, Jackson's the boys boss as well.

He's probably spending loads of time preparing for his court case - remember the one he said he'd bring against JC?

Gettin' Auld
05-04-2014, 08:39 AM
What a pish article and it partially explains why Pat Fenlon didn't have much time for the press.

He was in the final negotiations to get the Hibs job and Petrie is known to like things kept quiet until it's all was signed, sealed and delivered.

Why would he risk blowing his chances of getting the job by giving some random guy (who claims to be a reporter) on the phone 'a scoop'?

Baader
05-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Absolute rubbish. 'Wee Pat' writes 'Fat Scott.'

Someone who writes for a comic like the Daily Record can't be called a journalist. Or be taken seriously.

marinello59
05-04-2014, 08:52 AM
It's always good to have positive publicity but that should not be something we judge our managers on, IMO. They're there to deal with the team, not snide, sensationalist journalists like the one who wrote that article. Butcher is really struggling but has the press eating out his hands, PF was doing considerably better and was slated from all corners, popular opinion can be totally independent of actual performance and I think we should judge our managers on actual performance rather than on the opinion of comic journalists, who I'd bet pay very little attention to Hibs in reality anyway.

I'm certainly not doing that. The club can influence what is printed though and PF AND the board at the time did themselves no favours. The back pages are free advertising for the football industry, ignoring it should not be an option for a business looking to project a positive image. I ain't gonna comment on the competence or otherwise of individual journalists. We all have our pet hates there. :greengrin

Monts
05-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Where is the NEWS in that NEWSpaper article?

matty_f
05-04-2014, 09:06 AM
As well as spouting crap on the radio, Jackson's the boys boss as well.

He's probably spending loads of time preparing for his court case - remember the one he said he'd bring against JC?

He doesn't need to prepare for it, Craig Whyte is paying for top lawyers for Jackson with Whyte's "off the radar" wealth.

The_Todd
05-04-2014, 09:08 AM
That's two minutes of my time I won't get back. What a pointless article. "Boo hoo hoo he didn't tell us something confidential before it was official how awful of him"

HFC 0-7
05-04-2014, 09:15 AM

To be fair, the press are not exactly digging this up. Fenlon contacted the DR, o Conner has been criticised by his clubs owner, griffiths singing would always be picked up on and the sfa have picked him up on it, Petrie is in charge over yet another rubbish season, butcher is the manager of hibs during another rubbish season. The only thing I would say the press are being a bit picky with, is the hibs fans involvement in trying to liquidate hearts.

hibs are big news, we are absolutely honking and have been for years now. Every time the team has a chance to give the fans something to enjoy the blow it.

if hearts hadn't been in admin, possibly facing liquidation hibs would be in the spotlight even more, and rightly so as there is something wrong at the club which has yet to be addressed.

stevejordan
05-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Paddy was a very nice man lets just leave it at that.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-04-2014, 09:52 AM
" He lied to me" wails the fat hack. Why didn't you just make it up anyway? Isn't that the Daily Returd's normal way of doing things?

Northernhibee
05-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Whatever you think of his managerial ability Pat was a top bloke who showed a lot of respect to our club.

No need for that article, but that's the attitude of the arrogant hack nowadays who thinks that his job allows him carte blanche to write whatever he wants about anyone irregardless of how intrusive it is or not.

Alfred E Newman
05-04-2014, 11:01 AM
The west of Scotland media had it in for Pat from the word go. He didn't fit in with the usual Scottish managerial merry go round and I have my suspicions that his background had something to do with that. Enough said.

GreenArmyyy!
05-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Fenlon has taken himself out of the firing line and has not done an interview in months but I will tell you one thing, if every paper in the country had been slating and blaming me for what's going on months after I had left my job I wouldn't stand for it. This article is just another dig at Fenlon by a bitter little man because Pat wouldn't give him inside information. Fenlon put 110% in during his time at Hibs, he made a lot of mistakes but also did a lot of good at the club, he changed the poor attitude around the place. Brought in two of my favourite ever players in Griffiths and McPake. He also got us in to two Scottish cup finals in a row, we all know how they ended but still getting there is an achievement. He has never said anything bad about Hibs so I think it's about time we leave Fenlon alone and stop blaming him for our failings. People are forgetting that we were in fifth place when he left and we are now looking at the potential being involved in a relegation dogfight. How can anyone in their right mind blame Fenlon for that.

Keith_M
05-04-2014, 11:21 AM
So, the guy's been waiting around three years to get his revenge on Fenlon for not giving him a 'scoop'. That must be one of the most pathetic articles ever in the DR (quite an achievement).

Will he be writing some detailed expose on the role David Southern, the guy in charge during the Hearts share scam, played in their downfall, maybe questioning why he's still there?

Perhaps an article on why it was that David Murray, when he already knew how deep his club were in the sh*t, was issuing stories to the press on possible extensions to Ibrox stadium to increase the capacity to 60k? Or why Murray made no proper due dilligence into the guy that was buying RaGers from him then ran them into the ground?

Oops, sorry, that would be REAL journalism.

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Fenlon has taken himself out of the firing line and has not done an interview in months but I will tell you one thing, if every paper in the country had been slating and blaming me for what's going on months after I had left my job I wouldn't stand for it. This article is just another dig at Fenlon by a bitter little man because Pat wouldn't give him inside information. Fenlon put 110% in during his time at Hibs, he made a lot of mistakes but also did a lot of good at the club, he changed the poor attitude around the place. Brought in two of my favourite ever players in Griffiths and McPake. He also got us in to two Scottish cup finals in a row, we all know how they ended but still getting there is an achievement. He has never said anything bad about Hibs so I think it's about time we leave Fenlon alone and stop blaming him for our failings. People are forgetting that we were in fifth place when he left and we are now looking at the potential being involved in a relegation dogfight. How can anyone in their right mind blame Fenlon for that.

Was that not Calderclown? As for changing the poor attitude, are you for real?

marinello59
05-04-2014, 11:24 AM

There's plenty on here that think Fenlon left a total mess due to the poor squad he assembled and we are still suffering for it.

emerald green
05-04-2014, 11:40 AM
The Daily Ranger. Jeez. Just don't buy or read it. Also, same with the Sun. I wonder if the ones that printed the lies at the time are ashamed of themselves listening to the Hillsborough inquest?

J-C
05-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Pat Fenlon is right. We had started the season with our two most creative wide players missing (Harris and Cairney) and it was obvious why we struggled so much without them.

If we are suggesting that Butcher has got as much out of the players as Fenlon did, we are kidding ourselves on. Liam Craig at holding midfield and Lewis Stevenson as a left winger is evidence that Butcher had not used this squad to the best of it's abilities. He's brought in the boy Boateng, who doesn't even seem good enough to get near a first eleven place.

I'm not saying Fenlon is perfect or would have definately turned things around, but Butcher has not made things better. He has misused the squad.

It's good toget an insight into why the press gave it to him so tight though. He didn't slip them information or kiss the arse like others, so he gets a poor press. No doubt a lot of folk, including Hibs fans, are easily swayed enough to believe it.

It begs the question then why Fenlon never had anyone in place as cover out wide for this scenario, also why we never had any back up at RB apart from an ageing Maybury, then the zero pace argument in the middle of the park, plus multitude of DM's in the squad. Fenlon needs to have a long hard look at himself and realise he screwed up, his negativity was driving people away.

cabbageandribs1875
05-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Incredibly, he told that Sunday Mail writer that it was because Butcher is a former captain of Rangers. Wow.
Last time I checked that was 27 years ago.

i find this fact extremely depressing :boo hoo: the years are just flying in

Beefster
05-04-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm not too happy at Pat Fenlon and I never read the Daily Record. It's all relative.

If Butcher's record, after two years, is on a par with Fenlon's and the football is as eye-watering, you'll have a point.

P.S. Butcher's win % is 26% according to iHibs. Fenlon's wasn't much better in his first season and, even then, the SC dragged that up from 21% in the league.

delbert
05-04-2014, 12:13 PM
The Daily Ranger. Jeez. Just don't buy or read it. Also, same with the Sun. I wonder if the ones that printed the lies at the time are ashamed of themselves listening to the Hillsborough inquest?

Pat Fenlon was utterly awful and not up to the job, the Daily Rantic is pathetic and not fit for purpose - made for each other !

paul_hfc3
05-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Wow that DR journalist has a lot of resentment for Fenlon like. There's poison in his punches at Fenlon, and the numerous 'Wee Pat' when referring to him. This guy has a serious problem with Felon.

Jones28
05-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Persecuting an person who is in no position to defend himself.

Classic Daily Record.

Oh, and by the way, tough **** on the "he lied to me" thing.

He failed at Hibs, we can all see that. Now let it lie FFS

Phil D. Rolls
05-04-2014, 12:30 PM
The west of Scotland media had it in for Pat from the word go. He didn't fit in with the usual Scottish managerial merry go round and I have my suspicions that his background had something to do with that. Enough said.

There's plenty on here that think Fenlon left a total mess due to the poor squad he assembled and we are still suffering for it.

It wasn't the west coast media that got him the sack. It was a mob of inadequates waving their season tickets in front of the cameras.

Elephant Stone
05-04-2014, 12:38 PM
If Butcher's record, after two years, is on a par with Fenlon's and the football is as eye-watering, you'll have a point.

I've got a point now, if he'd stayed and we'd continued performing at the same level then we would not be trying to avoid relegation right now and it's fair to say we would probably be in the semi final of the Scottish Cup.

P.S. Butcher's win % is 26% according to iHibs. Fenlon's wasn't much better in his first season and, even then, the SC dragged that up from 21% in the league.

Don't Scottish Cup games matter?

Edit: and I make Butcher's win percentage to be 21%.

Dobosz83
05-04-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm embarrassed for this roster of a journalist in all honestly. It appears like Pat Fenlon hurt his feelings on a couple of occasions and like a disgruntled ex-girlfriend, cannot let it go. Pathetic but am I surprised by it? Not at all. That said, some of Pat's comments are a bit baffling in that article...

Fenlon will never cover himself in glory based on his time at Hibs. It didn't work out for either party, however, he did steady the ship after the Calderwood farce so for that i'm thankful. Why any manager of any SPL side needs to suck up to the gutter press in this country is beyond me. We appear to be a club they all love failing, when we fall flat on our face (which is often), they revel in it.

The only media I tend to read is from the official site and links through .net.

GGTTH

keep the faith
05-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Sounds to me both are fairly bitter. No interest in either to be honest. Pat left us with this horrific bunch of no hopers and should be criticized.

And this journo has the hump because "he didn't tell the truth" shock horror coming from a journo at the Daily Record!

This sums it up for me

green day
05-04-2014, 01:27 PM
If you doubt media bias, just look at pricks like Ewan Murray or Anthony brown on twitter.

Supposed to be journos, but neither acknowledge our disallowed goal, focus only on "the under 21s" of hearts, and generally take the piss whenever they can.

We have not helped as we are rank, but surely some professionalism is not too much to ask?

Wan*ers the lot of them.

Thecat23
05-04-2014, 01:54 PM
I've got a point now, if he'd stayed and we'd continued performing at the same level then we would not be trying to avoid relegation right now and it's fair to say we would probably be in the semi final of the Scottish Cup.

Don't Scottish Cup games matter?

Edit: and I make Butcher's win percentage to be 21%.

I'm sorry but I hate when folk assume Pat would have had us in a better position than we are now or progressed us in the Scottish. We have no idea if he would or wouldn't have.

Butcher hopefully will get at least the same amount of time if not longer. I'll also happily go on record to say he will do much better than pats win ratio over that time. This season he's left with dross. He should and could do better but as I posted few weeks ago players are not giving two hoots anymore. Not all may I add but some so called pros need a word with themselves.

Keith_M
05-04-2014, 02:01 PM
It wasn't the west coast media that got him the sack. It was a mob of inadequates waving their season tickets in front of the cameras.

Nice way to describe fellow Hibs fans that had decided that enough was enough.

Elephant Stone
05-04-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm sorry but I hate when folk assume Pat would have had us in a better position than we are now or progressed us in the Scottish. We have no idea if he would or wouldn't have.

Butcher hopefully will get at least the same amount of time if not longer. I'll also happily go on record to say he will do much better than pats win ratio over that time. This season he's left with dross. He should and could do better but as I posted few weeks ago players are not giving two hoots anymore. Not all may I add but some so called pros need a word with themselves.

If the team had continued performing to a similar level as it did in the first three months when PF was in charge then we would have been in a better position than we are now. I think If PF has stayed on there's no reason to doubt the level could have been maintained or even improved upon further with consistent team selection and momentum, as happened to Aberdeen. As for the Scottish cup, I am happy to assume we'd have beaten Raith Rovers at home and St Johnstone at home, given we beat them 2-0 away and given that PF won every single Scottish cup tie outwith the finals.

I hope Butcher gets time as well, I'm not suggesting that we get rid of him. All I'm saying is that if PF had seen out his season I'm confident we'd be doing much better than we are now and that I'm not going to let Scottish journalists change my opinion.

As for the squad being dross, I can't agree at all. We might be neglected a bit in the wings but I don't think the squad is dross, or near it.

Thecat23
05-04-2014, 02:18 PM
If the team had continued performing to a similar level as it did in the first three months when PF was in charge then we would have been in a better position than we are now. I think If PF has stayed on there's no reason to doubt the level could have been maintained or even improved upon further with consistent team selection and momentum, as happened to Aberdeen. As for the Scottish cup, I am happy to assume we'd have beaten Raith Rovers at home and St Johnstone at home, given we beat them 2-0 away and given that PF won every single Scottish cup tie outwith the finals.

I hope Butcher gets time as well, I'm not suggesting that we get rid of him. All I'm saying is that if PF had seen out his season I'm confident we'd be doing much better than we are now and that I'm not going to let Scottish journalists change my opinion.

As for the squad being dross, I can't agree at all. We might be neglected a bit in the wings but I don't think the squad is dross, or near it.

Pat got far to long to start with. Hibs were starting to drop when he left. He even admitted himself he was the problem. The job was to much for Pat! Butcher is a proven SPL manager and I feel he'll do very well.

By the way you talk about "we would have beaten St. Johnstone if we had beat Raith" our record at ER was horrific under Pat as well so that's nonsense to say it would be a given. Like I say no one will know but Pat was finished at Hibs long before he left and there is no danger if given more time he'd turn it around. He had two years to do so and failed big time.

Heisenberg
05-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Pat got far to long to start with. Hibs were starting to drop when he left. He even admitted himself he was the problem. The job was to much for Pat! Butcher is a proven SPL manager and I feel he'll do very well.

By the way you talk about "we would have beaten St. Johnstone if we had beat Raith" our record at ER was horrific under Pat as well so that's nonsense to say it would be a given. Like I say no one will know but Pat was finished at Hibs long before he left and there is no danger if given more time he'd turn it around. He had two years to do so and failed big time.

Agree with that. He had his time and didn't do enough. Left us with a squad of slow, weak bottle merchants. He also squandered a very competitive budget on terrible players.

Elephant Stone
05-04-2014, 02:30 PM

Does he have a better SPL record than Fenlon? I'm not sure if he does.

No danger he'd turn it round? It didn't need turning round, we were a handful of points of second, had the second best defence in the league and were still in the Scottish Cup. It's not nonsense to think we'd still be in the Scottish Cup given his record in the tournament and given that we were playing Raith Rovers at home and St Johnstone, who we'd already beaten.

Thecat23
05-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Does he have a better SPL record than Fenlon? I'm not sure if he does.

No danger he'd turn it round? It didn't need turning round, we were a handful of points of second, had the second best defence in the league and were still in the Scottish Cup. It's not nonsense to think we'd still be in the Scottish Cup given his record in the tournament and given that we were playing Raith Rovers at home and St Johnstone, who we'd already beaten.

Like I say doesn't matter if we had already beaten St Johnstone every game is different. Our home record was shocking hence why I don't think it was a cert!

Maybe you think Pat is a better manager but I firmly believe Butcher is. His training is more professional than Pats who was pretty much a part time manager. Getting to two Scottish cup finals is only a real achievement when you turn up and win.

Elephant Stone
05-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Like I say doesn't matter if we had already beaten St Johnstone every game is different. Our home record was shocking hence why I don't think it was a cert!

Maybe you think Pat is a better manager but I firmly believe Butcher is. His training is more professional than Pats who was pretty much a part time manager. Getting to two Scottish cup finals is only a real achievement when you turn up and win.

Our home record in the Scottish cup was 100% :wink:.

We're not going to agree on this but I'd rather he had stayed for the season and finished his job, I don't think Butcher's good PR has softened the blow of the way the season turned, which is the point I was originally making. I hope he gets time to see out his contract though and I think things will improve.

Beefster
05-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Presumably you thought that we shouldn't have appointed Fenlon in the first place given his record in 2011/12 was worse than Calderwood's

Elephant Stone
05-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Presumably you thought that we shouldn't have appointed Fenlon in the first place given his record in 2011/12 was worse than Calderwood's

Nope, Calderwood was an unmitigated disaster and we should have changed it sooner than we did.

Beefster
05-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Nope, Calderwood was an unmitigated disaster and we should have changed it sooner than we did.

Okay. Now that we've agreed that Fenlon was better than Calderwood, even although his initial results were worse, you should be able to see the logic of giving Butcher time.

Elephant Stone
05-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Okay. Now that we've agreed that Fenlon was better than Calderwood, even although his initial results were worse, you should be able to see the logic of giving Butcher time.

I want to give Butcher time. What I'm saying is that I wish Fenlon had stayed for the season, that I think we'd be much better off at the moment if he did, and that I don't blame him for the way the season turned. I wanted him to have time to at least finish his contract and I think Butcher deserves the same.

Thecat23
05-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Our home record in the Scottish cup was 100% :wink:.

We're not going to agree on this but I'd rather he had stayed for the season and finished his job, I don't think Butcher's good PR has softened the blow of the way the season turned, which is the point I was originally making. I hope he gets time to see out his contract though and I think things will improve.

Haha touché

Yeah think we can agree to disagree. I hope so as well and I do think he'll do well if he gets the men he wants.

Greencore
05-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Who?

macd123
06-04-2014, 04:06 PM

The only problem i have with pat is he quit with the job half done. He has won trophies everywhere he has been except with us. The biggest mistake was getting us to Europe and two cup finals that we werent good enough to compete in. Against malmo we played with five 19 year olds in pre season ffs. The team had just gone 9 unbeaten in the league before two defeats saw him out the door. And one of them was daylight robbery.

So it was victory for craig thomson, for sportsound and the daily record. And a complete lack of fight from our club.

allezsauzee
06-04-2014, 04:56 PM
I never read any the rubbish that the Daily Rangers publishes and I'm a wee bit annoyed with myself for wasting 2 minutes of my life on this 'article'

Tyler Durden
06-04-2014, 05:00 PM

The only problem i have with pat is he quit with the job half done. He has won trophies everywhere he has been except with us. The biggest mistake was getting us to Europe and two cup finals that we werent good enough to compete in. Against malmo we played with five 19 year olds in pre season ffs. The team had just gone 9 unbeaten in the league before two defeats saw him out the door. And one of them was daylight robbery.

So it was victory for craig thomson, for sportsound and the daily record. And a complete lack of fight from our club.

We didn't go 9 unbeaten.

As for Fenlon winning trophies before, it's equivalent to managing in the Juniors.

FitbaFolkKen
06-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Off the record conversations appear in daily record, reporter bitter because no one will speak to him off the record....... Wow!

Albion Hibs
07-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Yes Pat we are telling you that Liam Craig is not a decent player...him along with pretty much every single player you brought through the doors of the club during your entire time with us. I hold Pat pretty much entirely accountable for what we are watching now...him and the board for not leaving him at Hampden after that cup final.

DH1875
07-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Yes Pat we are telling you that Liam Craig is not a decent player...him along with pretty much every single player you brought through the doors of the club during your entire time with us. I hold Pat pretty much entirely accountable for what we are watching now...him and the board for not leaving him at Hampden after that cup final.

Funny thing is (well it's not actually funny but...) if he was still here we wouldn't be in as much kite as we are in at the moment :confused::grr:.