PDA

View Full Version : Margo MacDonald dies.

Spike Mandela
04-04-2014, 02:06 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/margo-macdonald-msp-dies-at-70-1-3365589

Sad news.

oregonhibby
04-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Yip a fine person and a fine Hibby. Someone who had real conviction in her views on life and politics. Sadly missed.

Geo_1875
04-04-2014, 02:12 PM
And a genuinely nice person.

offshorehibby
04-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Sad sad news indeed a truly great person. RIP Margo.

itslegaltender
04-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Sad sad news indeed a truly great person. RIP Margo.

One of a very few politicians you knew was speaking the truth with no hidden agenda, she stuck to her convictions irrespective of what it meant to her career. A true patriot and an inspirational person.

and most of all...

A good Hibby. RIP Margo.

Bishop Hibee
04-04-2014, 02:23 PM
An independent voice in a political world dominated by those who tow the line. While I didn't agree with all of what she campaigned for, she is a sad loss. A good Hibby to boot. RIP.

MoscowHibs
04-04-2014, 02:23 PM
I had the pleasure of her company at a fundraiser years ago, loved talking 'bout the Hibs. Lovely lassie, sadly missed. RIP Margo.

lucky
04-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Gutted, a true independent voice in Scottish politics. They come 3s Crowe, Benn and McDonald 3 champions of the working class

greengnome
04-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Rest in peace Margo, A fine lady who held dear her principles, and has went out with her integrity intact... And a "Damn fine Hibby".

MM19
04-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm so sorry to read about Margo she was a lovely person and as a few have said you could believe what she told you was the truth. RIP Margo

steakbake
04-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Had occasion to contact her a few times about a number of things and thought she was a real canny, salt of the earth person and the kind of progressive "politician" we need at Holyrood.

green glory
04-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Truly devastated. This year of all years.

Fergos
04-04-2014, 03:05 PM
A real force of nature, inspiration & support to many.

A very sad loss.

RIP Margo.

CraigHibee
04-04-2014, 03:10 PM
r.i.p margo

TowerHibs
04-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Upsetting news, I wrote to her regarding issues at my Mrs workplace and I knew she was campaigning for change in the particular industry. She called 2 days later and really helped the wife make a difference. Provided direction and support well above what was required.

Great company and only wish those in power had her principles. RIP Margo and least watching the famous 5 up there will bring u some comfort

Oscar T Grouch
04-04-2014, 03:18 PM
A politician with principles and ethics, something we sadly lack in both Edinburgh and Westminster. She will be sorely missed. RIP Margo.

trev the hat
04-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Very sad news, a real peoples champion, hugely respected in the world of politics and beyond & will be a genuine loss to all things she stood for.
RIP Margo

Slim Shady
04-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that she had a huge part to play in the HoH campaign and it was her that persuaded to get STF involved.

Weststandwanab
04-04-2014, 03:31 PM
R.I.P. Such a sad loss.

Baader
04-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Just a pity there aren't more like her in Holy Rood and Westminster - place would be a lot better for it. RIP Margo.

Lucius Apuleius
04-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Sad and doleful tidings indeed. R.I.P. Margo.

Saorsa
04-04-2014, 04:05 PM
A great supporter of Hibs and a great supporter of the Scottish nation. A sad loss for both.

bboy
04-04-2014, 04:14 PM
God rest a wonderfull human being.

Bostonhibby
04-04-2014, 04:19 PM
R I P Margo. A big loss to Scotland, someone with real integrity, politics will certainly be the poorer.

Someone whose views I always had time for.

cabbageandribs1875
04-04-2014, 04:27 PM
a very brave and dignified woman and a true nationalist RIP Margo

Berwickhibby
04-04-2014, 04:31 PM
R.I.P Margo...... when she spoke at the anniversary of the Hands of Hibs concert at the Usher Hall I nearly wept. God bless Margo :flag:

04-04-2014, 04:41 PM
I had the great pleasure of Margo's company on a number of occasions and I will always remember her as one of the most intelligent politicians I have ever met. Can't say I always agreed with her politics but a fabulous individual in fighting for a cause. She could hold the attention of a packed room with her intelligence and add to that an incredibly wicked sense of humour and lightening fast one liners it really was a enjoyable occasion whenever I came across her. Thoughts and prayers with her Family and Friends this evening. Margo, we will miss you.

hibbiedon
04-04-2014, 04:57 PM
RIP Margo A patriot and a Hibby, sadly missed thought with Jim

emerald green
04-04-2014, 05:00 PM
I never met the lady, and only knew her through what I saw and read in the media. To me, she always came across as very genuine, and a person of great integrity. RIP.

Galahibby
04-04-2014, 05:13 PM
RIP Margo. A brave, inspirational lady.

DoonTheSlope
04-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Sad news indeed. Margo held strong principles and was a very courageous lady. She was a strong believer in independence for Scotland and it is so sad that she should die so near to the referendum in September.

FranckSuzy
04-04-2014, 05:30 PM
RIP Margo. A fine woman and a good Hibby.

McBHibee
04-04-2014, 05:57 PM
RIP Margo. A fine woman and a good Hibby.

Sad loss. She was a voice in the wilderness. Will the club pay tribute?

Glory Lurker
04-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Very sad news. A legend in my house when I was a wee lad, an inspiration who played no small part in shaping the beliefs I hold decades later. A woman of integrity and great dignity. Scotland is poorer for her passing. RIP.

FranckSuzy
04-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Sad loss. She was a voice in the wilderness. Will the club pay tribute?

The front page of the fishy site is black and this (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20140404/margo-macdonald-msp_2262950_3749088) has been posted. No mention of anything else yet :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Margo came across as a highly principled person. A great fighter for social justice who had more common sense and wit than scores of politicians who have risen to much higher office. Her alienation by the establishment in the SNP was a major error IMO.

So sad that fate has not allowed her to be around for September 2014.

A true patriot, a great human being and not least of all a person I was proud to know as a fellow Hibby.

If ever a smilie was made for someone it was this:

:saltireflag

R.I.P. Margo MacDonald

Mr White
04-04-2014, 06:40 PM
The front page of the fishy site is black and this (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20140404/margo-macdonald-msp_2262950_3749088) has been posted. No mention of anything else yet :aok:

Minutes applause on monday night perhaps?

Jonnyboy
04-04-2014, 06:50 PM
A great supporter of Hibs and a great supporter of the Scottish nation. A sad loss for both.

Can't really add anything to this, except RIP Margo

leggeto
04-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Sad loss,nice lady and played a massive part in the hands off hibs campaign RIP

heidtheba
04-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Wasn't entirely in tune with all my political views (but what politicians ever are) but a genuinely friendly lady (local) and an absolutely principled and committed politician. Voted for her in the past purely because it was clear that she cared and was in it to make the world a better place.

Total respect. RIP

Eyrie
04-04-2014, 07:23 PM
in an era when most politicians are content to kowtow to their party line and watch the opinion polls, she was a refreshingly principled individual who was willing to speak out on unpopular issues.

We could do with a lot more like her across the political spectrum.

IWasThere2016
04-04-2014, 07:32 PM
in an era when most politicians are content to kowtow to their party line and watch the opinion polls, she was a refreshingly principled individual who was willing to speak out on unpopular issues.

Well said.

Brave woman. RIP.

jdships
04-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Have had the great pleasure of calling her my friend for the past fifteen or so years and will miss her fun and banter !!.
We were polls apart politically but it never made one whit of difference to our friendship .
I supported her in any way I could with her " Right To Die " Bill as I strongly agreed with her beliefs
A cliche I know but with Margo " What you saw was what you got " - nothing more nothing less

The world will be a poorer place without her
RIP XXXXXXXXXXXX

jdships
04-04-2014, 07:47 PM

Thank you - wish I had written that !!:top marks

Sir David Gray
04-04-2014, 08:14 PM
I didn't agree with her on very much but I certainly respected her views.

Sad news.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Brave RIP

The Baldmans Comb
04-04-2014, 09:23 PM
The politician who was the first to make me realise that Scotland would be a far better place if Scottish people ran their own lives.

A true champion of the people.

Moon unit
04-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Sad news indeed. Margo held strong principles and was a very courageous lady. She was a strong believer in independence for Scotland and it is so sad that she should die so near to the referendum in September.

Those that challenge the norm become shinning stars!

whiskyhibby
04-04-2014, 10:13 PM
A truly great politician who makes Salmond and Sturgeon look like amateur bull****ters

Scotchmist
04-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Very sad news. A legend in my house when I was a wee lad, an inspiration who played no small part in shaping the beliefs I hold decades later. A woman of integrity and great dignity. Scotland is poorer for her passing. RIP.

A truly great politician of the people. If even half of our present day politicians had anything like the integrity Margot had, this would be the greatest country in the world to live in.
Thank you Margot.

Hibernia&Alba
04-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Gutted, a true independent voice in Scottish politics. They come 3s Crowe, Benn and McDonald 3 champions of the working class

Aye, another sad loss to progressive politics. Sad news.

Pete
04-04-2014, 11:01 PM
I come across politicians quite a lot in my line of work and she was one I came into contact with more than most.

Presence and aura are terms that are bandied about but she had that and then some. They say the eyes are the gateway to the soul and it's as if she was genuinely interested in your opinion and cared about what you had to say. A look and a cryptic question were all it took to give you food for thought. A look would also scare the **** out of you and I'm glad I wasn't one of those on the end of her wrath.

She also came across as totally selfless. I'm not doubting there was an element of self preservation in her career choice but it was almost a side issue compared to her overwhelming desire to fight for what she seen as a just cause.

Most of all, she was down to earth. She actually picked my brains about what she should put in her column on a few occasions. I know nothing about politics but she simply wanted some advice on what I wanted to hear about...the last thing it was about was what would make her sound better in the eyes of the public.
I also remember talking to her about the Scottish parliament and how I wasn't really convinced by it or understood why we needed it. As she didn't have much time, her response was to tell me to go to security and tell them that I know her, give details of how I do and I would be given a tour of the building. She would OK it for them to give my partner and I the warts and all, behind the scenes access that the normal "tours" simply wouldn't allow and if she was there she would help show us about. Stupidly, we didn't take her up on the offer but I really regret not doing so.

An amazing woman as well as an amazing politician.

CropleyWasGod
04-04-2014, 11:12 PM
I had the pleasure of working with Margo for over 10 years in a charity whose aims she supported passionately, and for whom she went into bat often in Parliament,.

Apart from her well-known independence of spirit, her ability to spear opponents with humour and intelligence, made me so glad that she was always on my side of the table. In an age where politicians have become grey clones of each other, she was such a refreshing woman.

I, and my colleagues, will miss her so much.

Stantons Angel
04-04-2014, 11:17 PM
The politician who was the first to make me realise that Scotland would be a far better place if Scottish people ran their own lives.

A true champion of the people.

You said it all really!

Margo was one of my heroines she was open and honest and true to her beliefs and to her country.

she took on all the male domination of Westminster and wiped the floor with their hypocrisy and was so inspirational!

She helped forge the nation we love and it is so sad that she wont be here to see the Saltire fly high and proud over a FREE Scotland!

She kept up her support of the Hibs for many years during her illness and didnt let it stop her coming to Easter Road.

Thank you Margo for providing me with the beliefs you leave behind, you will never be forgotten!

RIP............... GGTTH!

The Harp
04-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Undoubtedly one of the most respected figures for years in Scottish politics. A real champion of so many good causes and one who had the determination and commitment other politicians can only dream of.
God bless you Margo - you'll be sorely missed.
RIP

ronaldo7
05-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Rest gently Margot. The people of Scotland will carry you over the line on high.

Peevemor
05-04-2014, 12:43 AM
I'm pleased, but not surprised, that everyone here (and over on brokeback) is of the same opinion. Whether or not you agreed with her or voted for her doesn't matter - that's your choice, but at least with Margo you knew what you were voting for with no party line BS. That should be the very least you can expect from an MP/MSP/councillor/whatever, but as we all know that's not always the case.

I met her a few times over the years, mostly when I was playing pipes at SNP Burns suppers and stuff, and this news hit me quite hard when I read it this afternoon.

She was a great lady.

RIP Margo.

SouthamptonHibs
05-04-2014, 02:08 AM
Rip Hibs legend x

SON OF PADDY
05-04-2014, 04:06 AM
God bless you Margo RIP

ALF TUPPER
05-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Requiescat in Pace

ALF TUPPER
05-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Read all the posts so far. Very uplifting. Nice thread Hibbies x

Capt Mainwaring
05-04-2014, 12:27 PM
A fine politician and a damn decent human being. Sad loss - RIP Margo

--------
09-04-2014, 12:07 PM
http://www.scottishreview.net/KennethRoy153A.shtml?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8427-316493-The+strange+background+of+Margo+MacDonald

Future17
09-04-2014, 01:05 PM
http://www.scottishreview.net/KennethRoy153A.shtml?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8427-316493-The+strange+background+of+Margo+MacDonald

A good read - thanks for sharing. :aok:

snooky
09-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Alas, there are now no politicians that I like.
She was the only rose in the garden of Weedsminster.
When will we see her likes again? Never, I suspect.

Thanks for everything you did and tried to do, Margo.