PDA

View Full Version : NHC GOC not winning friends in Greenock

Twa Cairpets
03-04-2014, 03:21 PM
From the Greenock Telegraph.

Such a shame - could've be banging them in in the Premiership...

MORTON chairman Douglas Rae has launched a scathing attack on one of the club’s big name players.
As he vigorously defended his decision to slash this season’s wage budget in the face of growing criticism from fans, the boardroom boss savaged striker Garry O’Connor — branding him ‘hopeless’, unfit, immobile and ‘totally unsatisfactory’.
Rae says that the club still has the fourth-highest budget in the Championship, but he believes players like O’Connor have not been anything like value for money.
Sources had suggested that the Cappielow chief had cut Allan Moore’s allocated player funds by approximately 40 per cent of the 2012-13 expenditure.
However, Mr Rae has refuted those rumours, stating that it was only a 10 per cent reduction and that it meant Ton should still have been highly competitive this term.
The Golden Casket owner also stood by his original judgement and insisted a rollback was more than necessary due to annual losses and last season’s low turnouts despite a title tilt.
He told the Tele: “Do I not have the right to reduce the budget? I certainly have. I own the club and I run the club.
“Last season we lost over £200,000. Am I just to repeat that? Who’s going to pick up the bill? Me. And I’m not going to run the club on an ongoing waywith large losses. I’m not; I’m not prepared to.
“Listen, our budget is still the fourth biggest in the league. I heard I had reduced it by 50 per cent – that’s a joke! It really is a joke. It was reduced by about 10 per cent.
“The wages are only about 10 per cent different from last year, and of course I had to consider the £200,000 loss when setting the budget.
“The supporters have got themselves to blame. The average gates last year were appalling. They fell last year by about 350 – and these are the figures given by the SPFL I might add.
“The fans have always said: ‘Give us a good team and we’ll support it.’ Where were they? Our average gate when we were in the Second Division was 2,860.
“Our average gate at the minute is 1,751. Look at the loss: for each game that’s 1,000 people. Call it an average of £10 per person, that’s £10,000 a game. With 20 home games, there’s your £200,000.
“It was unsustainable to keep the budget as it was, and that’s the whole point. I’m not rolling my money down a drain.
“There are fans who can tell you how to run it. They know better than anyone what you should do: ‘You need to get the chequebook out again; you need to increase the budget.’ It’s a joke.
“They don’t realise the extent of the running costs and things of that nature. I don’t object to criticism if it’s fair criticism. That’s healthy. But it should be reasonable and based on fact.
“One guy wrote into the Telegraph and this fellow said that there is only one man who is responsible and he has been very silent. And that was me.
“Now if you examine the thing closely you see what a stupid comment that is. Who picks the players to sign? I don’t select them. I don’t pick the team. I don’t play in the team. I don’t do any of that.
“I don’t have any say in who plays for the team and nor do I want it. With his responsibility you have to give your manager authority.
“If the team does badly it’s the manager who has done badly. He stands and falls by his level of success.”
As well as coming in for criticism for the budget from some sections of the Ton support, Mr Rae has been maligned for his decision to stick by manager Moore in the face of poor results.
The former Stirling Albion boss was eventually fired straight after a 5-1 home loss against Livingston on 23 November. However, there were fans who felt he should have gone earlier, in particular after suffering the same scoreline at Cowdenbeath over a month before.
Rae explained: “Well the whole thing is you’ve got to have trust in the people you engage. Allan Moore was a very good manager for us.
“He worked hard, the players liked him, everything was right about him except that he made an error of judgement in the team that he assembled for this season. Now the fact is he made an error of judgement by bringing in four players from overseas and it regrettably took them a bit of time to settle.
“He was maybe too loyal to some of his players too, but that’s not a bad thing. And I had a loyalty towards him. You have to appreciate that managers are like everyone else: they make mistakes from time to time, and I certainly would not say one word of criticism against Allan Moore.
“I think he was a good manager for us. He made a few mistakes but who doesn’t make mistakes? Step forward those who haven’t made a mistake.
“I’ll tell you this, if the 10 best teams in Europe were in a league together, one of them would still finish at the bottom. It doesn’t make the manager a dumpling.
“I’m not saying that I’m not disappointed to be at the bottom, but we don’t have a divine right to win. Manchester United have been relegated. Now, if they can be relegated with all their resources, Morton can be relegated. It’s our turn as it happens and we just have to take it on the nose.”
As well as being critical of the squad assembled by Moore, the Golden Casket owner has been left unsatisfied by Kenny Shiels’ dealings in the transfer market.
Former Scotland striker O’Connor’s contribution, or lack thereof, has been a real source of consternation, with Rae branding him ‘hopeless’.
He said: “Allan brought in 10 new players and Kenny Shiels brought in nine or 10 new players, and when you do that you’ve got a job to make them gel. During the window in January you’ve only got the players no one else wants or the ones who are creeping back into the game from injury.
“There’s only one window that is worthy of being called a window for signings and that is in the month of July. It’s the only one that counts.
“No club is going to give away good players. Unless you are paying money for players, you are only going to get the dregs, as a journalist put it in a magazine I was reading.
“Have I been disappointed with Garry O’Connor? Yes, hopeless. My view is he has been totally unsatisfactory. He has not been able to get himself back mobile enough to play in the Championship.
“Garry is only 30 and he’s just left himself go. In the time he’s been here he should have been able to get himself back to a level of fitness that, in my view, he doesn’t have.
“He’s been disappointing, he really has. I think he has lost interest in football and if I had been the manager I would have dropped him before he actually was. I would have told him if he doesn’t get fit, he doesn’t play. The worst thing you can do to a footballer is to keep him from playing.
“It’s a financial commitment to bring players like Garry to Morton - it is - and that’s the sad thing.
“Players get paid irrespective of how they play. That’s something I’m addressing. In future what I’d be doing is getting a fitness company to take a player and judge him at the beginning.
“Then if I wasn’t satisfied after say four or five weeks I would send him back to this place to see if his fitness levels had measurably improved. If they hadn’t, then he could be freed.”
After having his fingers burned by big-name signings such as O’Connor and Nacho Novo, Rae insists he will not throw money at trying to get out of League One at the first time of asking next term. He concluded: “We’ll be trying to get back the Championship by the end of next season. I cannot promise that we will but we will certainly be doing everything in our power to get back.
“We have to take decisions which are aimed at getting out of the division. We’ll be trying to get back to the Championship by the end of next season. The one thing I will not be doing is throwing a lot of extra money at it.
“I’ll be setting a realistic budget based on how many I think we’ll get through the gates and that’s the truth.”

Coco Bryce
03-04-2014, 03:27 PM
From the Greenock Telegraph.

Such a shame - could've be banging them in in the Premiership...

What a complete waster that laddie is.

The_Horde
03-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Very good interview too!

Pretty Boy
03-04-2014, 03:37 PM
I wondered how he waa doing there as I hadn't seen him mentioned a lot. Seems I have my answer.

Silly, silly man.

Waxy
03-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Even though he played in the premiership n stuff, i always though he wasn't a patch on Deek R.

smurf
03-04-2014, 03:53 PM
GOC would fit in nicely at ER alongside the other wasters.

Gus Fring
03-04-2014, 04:04 PM
The comments about finances could be applied a little closer to home as well.

Golden Bear
03-04-2014, 04:06 PM
I wish our Chairman was equally critical of our own team's recent performances but maybe he sees that the actual football side of the business has absolutely nothing to do with him.

:rolleyes:

easty
03-04-2014, 04:08 PM
The comments about finances could be applied a little closer to home as well.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Kato
03-04-2014, 04:12 PM
What a complete waster that laddie is.

Cocaine destroys your body.

GordonR
03-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Publicly named as a waste of space by the chairman of a club that'll be playing their football in the old Division Two next season.

Impressive stuff, big man.

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Haha great read. Maybe Rod should be that honest about our wasters?

Seveno
03-04-2014, 04:41 PM
It doesn't say much for Kenny Shiels judgment, does it?

Unseen work
03-04-2014, 05:07 PM
People are saying they would love rod to be that honest, IMO if rod came out and slated the fans like he did the majority of fans would go off their head, say it was a disgrace etc etc

Iceman1875
03-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Refreshing to see such honesty from a chairman saying it how it actually is.

GOC is finished, was finished after the 5-1 game.

Sky sports understands that Hearts are going down.

Mikey09
03-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Absolutely love Douglas Rae. Met him once and he is as honest as the day is long. Wish there were more like him and Jim Leishman in the game.

Hibercelona
03-04-2014, 05:21 PM
People are saying they would love rod to be that honest, IMO if rod came out and slated the fans like he did the majority of fans would go off their head, say it was a disgrace etc etc

Our fans don't deserve to be slated, so of course people would be calling it a disgrace.

Northernhibee
03-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Him and Riordan could still defo do a job for us mind you :wink:

hibbydog
03-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Good interview, great read.

GOC has went from a promising young internationalist to a fat lump of *****.

Used to be proud of him as a fellow panner.

Has gone beyond the 'needs a boot up the ar5e' stage.

Bloody loser

Speedway
03-04-2014, 05:48 PM
I wish our Chairman was equally critical of our own team's recent performances but maybe he sees that the actual football side of the business has absolutely nothing to do with him.

:rolleyes:

It didn't go down well when he tried it. Even when a 'previous incumbent' 'saddles' the club with an 'unworkable legacy'

greenlex
03-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Our fans don't deserve to be slated, so of course people would be calling it a disgrace. The ones that are all mouth and no show do. Just as The Morton chairman has called out their fans like that.

Mikey09
03-04-2014, 05:59 PM
The ones that are all mouth and no show do. Just as The Morton chairman has called out their fans like that.

Have to take you to task on that greenlex... I choose not to attend for reasons I have stated on another thread and lets just say it was the ones who were all mouth who DO ATTEND that stopped me going. So I don't think that comment is really fair...

Phil D. Rolls
03-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Could he still do a job for us?

.Sean.
03-04-2014, 06:08 PM
If only everyone in football was as brutally honest. Refreshing read. Great stuff.

Saorsa
03-04-2014, 06:14 PM
The ones that are all mouth and no show do. Just as The Morton chairman has called out their fans like that.At this club whose fault is it they're no show any mair? They were there seven seasons ago and have been driven away. Why should they keep paying for his **** ups? Him and his **** ups are what has dragged this club down tae where it is and the attendances with it, naebody else. He'd have a ****in' brass neck tae have a go at the supporters of this club. With the way he's ran it in tae the ground in the last seven seasons it's a bloody miracle there's still as may as there are.

Mikey09
03-04-2014, 06:16 PM
If only everyone in football was as brutally honest. Refreshing read. Great stuff.

Its sad tho when it takes someone being honest to surprise us as it's so rare now. Used to love listening to Ian Holloway on match of the day! Said it how it was.

matty_f
03-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Interesting to read more comments from someone in football regarding the January transfer window as well, seems that more clubs than Hibs find it a faily worthless window.

As for GO'C, he should have grabbed this chance with both hands and bust a gut to get fit and playing. As it is he's probably ended his career, which is a real waste.

patch1875
03-04-2014, 06:40 PM

Pie taster?

Viva_Palmeiras
03-04-2014, 06:43 PM

Thought it was common knowledge only the big man upstairs is any good at judging Garry...

Viva_Palmeiras
03-04-2014, 06:48 PM

(Not a comment on you S)

And yet our manager apparently shares a few home truths with our "group" of players and gets some raised eyebrows after the event...

matty_f
03-04-2014, 06:49 PM
(Not a comment on you S)

And yet our manager apparently shares a few home truths with our "group" of players and gets some raised eyebrows after the event...

It's because our players are soft as s*** and would rather greet about criticism than pull their fingers out their erses and prove folk wrong.

The_Exile
03-04-2014, 07:07 PM
GOC could have been an elite level player if he had the desire, sadly, he did not have the desire, he never had the desire. I look at that generation of players we had and can't think of a single one who had all the ingredients to operate at the very very top level, chiefly, wanting to play at the top top level is requirment number 1. Scott Brown going to Celtic is one of the most baffling transfers I've ever seen, no desire or ambition, sickening.

Jonnyboy
03-04-2014, 07:14 PM
While I sympathise with Rae I cannae help but wonder what he thought he was getting in signing GOC. I mean the whole world and its brother knew the guy has major off field problems

silverhibee
03-04-2014, 09:19 PM
While I sympathise with Rae I cannae help but wonder what he thought he was getting in signing GOC. I mean the whole world and its brother knew the guy has major off field problems

And Rae is the one who does the contracts and has been throwing silly money at certain players over the last two seasons, seemingly £2k p/w to Novo and i heard Rowan Vine is on £1200 p/w and GOC the same.

I wonder if Vince Lunny will have anything to say about Rae slating GOC. :wink: :greengrin

Jonnyboy
03-04-2014, 09:32 PM
And Rae is the one who does the contracts and has been throwing silly money at certain players over the last two seasons, seemingly £2k p/w to Novo and i heard Rowan Vine is on £1200 p/w and GOC the same.

I wonder if Vince Lunny will have anything to say about Rae slating GOC. :wink: :greengrin

Only if he sang during the interview :greengrin

spike220
03-04-2014, 11:06 PM
I wonder if GOC could still do a job for us?

Jones28
03-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Wow, an owner who takes an interest in his team. What's that like?

snooky
04-04-2014, 12:05 AM
GOC could have been an elite level player if he had the desire, sadly, he did not have the desire, he never had the desire. I look at that generation of players we had and can't think of a single one who had all the ingredients to operate at the very very top level, chiefly, wanting to play at the top top level is requirment number 1. Scott Brown going to Celtic is one of the most baffling transfers I've ever seen, no desire or ambition, sickening.

Not so much baffling for me, more disappointing.
I think he could have gone much further in the game had he moved south.
Shame.

edinburghhibee
04-04-2014, 01:03 AM
GOC could have been an elite level player if he had the desire, sadly, he did not have the desire, he never had the desire. I look at that generation of players we had and can't think of a single one who had all the ingredients to operate at the very very top level, chiefly, wanting to play at the top top level is requirment number 1. Scott Brown going to Celtic is one of the most baffling transfers I've ever seen, no desire or ambition, sickening. How's Scott brown going to Celtic a lack of ambition???? Nobody else would have paid that money for him at that time so he was sold to them. And what is the level you believe he would have had he been ambitious?? Scotty gets champions league football every year with Celtic playing the best players and teams in the world and gets paid well for doing it. At the end of his career he will look in his trophy room and see a whole load of winners medals and believe me when your careers finished that's what you want. Not to be able to turn around and say well I won nothing and played for some mid tabled prem side that one nowt.

Unseen work
04-04-2014, 01:37 AM
whats even more crazy about Gary is that in the season he was here in 2012? he was fit for half of it as he knuckled down then went back to his old ways. He scored 16 goals that season.

Imagine what he could of accomplished if he had someone like steven fletchers attitude

Hibrandenburg
04-04-2014, 06:12 AM

The tash would get lynched if he said what he really thinks.

easty
04-04-2014, 06:31 AM
How's Scott brown going to Celtic a lack of ambition???? Nobody else would have paid that money for him at that time so he was sold to them. And what is the level you believe he would have had he been ambitious?? Scotty gets champions league football every year with Celtic playing the best players and teams in the world and gets paid well for doing it. At the end of his career he will look in his trophy room and see a whole load of winners medals and believe me when your careers finished that's what you want. Not to be able to turn around and say well I won nothing and played for some mid tabled prem side that one nowt.

He should have signed for Chelsea or Barca. Nae ambition like.

TowerHibs
04-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Complete nonsense. Celtic and Scotland captain, champ league, a pressure that u must win every week. Massive wage and medals in the bank

Have u ever seen Brown play???? Are u sure he has no desire?

Ronniekirk
04-04-2014, 07:03 AM
You could see when he was last with us that he had lost pace and wasn't as mobile but he scored some important goals still that season .Shields was probably hoping for something similar if he persuaded him he was wanting to get fit and play but was always a huge risk given drug issue Only 30 and that will be him binned at end of season and no one will give him another chance what a waste . However to compound that problem by signing Rowan Vine ,then you really do have to question his judgement .
Comments about having to cut players budget if you loose another 400 fans it equates to £200,000 revenue loss even at that level is worth noting for us and comment about summer transfer window being only one to judge manager on also pertinent

heretoday
04-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Gaz is going to wake up one day, look in the mirror and curse himself for wasting the chance to secure his family's future.

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2014, 08:06 AM

I disagree, Gary O,Connor can charm the birds off the trees, he will tell you anything you want to hear, and sound very convincing. Sheils obviously took his word that he'd get fit, and repay his faith, but that has not materialised.

O'Connor is finished, and as others have said, what a waste.

The_Exile
04-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Complete nonsense. Celtic and Scotland captain, champ league, a pressure that u must win every week. Massive wage and medals in the bank

Have u ever seen Brown play???? Are u sure he has no desire?

Did you even read my post? There was clearly no desire to play at the highest level as he went to Celtic (from memory I think Spurs and a team in Italy were interested?) unless you mean that playing for Celtic is the highest level? And forgive me, but an SPL winners medal whilst playing for Celtic is about as impressive as a puddle after it's rained.

easty
04-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Did you even read my post? There was clearly no desire to play at the highest level as he went to Celtic (from memory I think Spurs and a team in Italy were interested?) unless you mean that playing for Celtic is the highest level? And forgive me, but an SPL winners medal whilst playing for Celtic is about as impressive as a puddle after it's rained.

Whether Spurs or anyone else were interested, who actually offered us the money? Celtic.

Dashing Bob S
04-04-2014, 09:32 AM
I disagree, Gary O,Connor can charm the birds off the trees, he will tell you anything you want to hear, and sound very convincing. Sheils obviously took his word that he'd get fit, and repay his faith, but that has not materialised.

O'Connor is finished, and as others have said, what a waist.

Fixed.

The_Exile
04-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Whether Spurs or anyone else were interested, who actually offered us the money? Celtic.

Fair enough, if they were the only team wanting him, but I was under the impression that was far from the case. I'm pretty certain the club had always said to the players back then that we wouldn't stand in their way, that they would get to decide their own futures, ie he wasn't forced to go to Celtic.

George Clooney
04-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Gaz is going to wake up one day, look in the mirror and curse himself for wasting the chance to secure his family's future.

Doubt it. He's way too thick for soul searching.
He'll blame it all on someone else.

Jones28
04-04-2014, 12:08 PM

I heard Newcastle were sniffing around SB before he went to Celtic too.

Ah well, he went and we got 4.4millon quid. Perhaps he felt he would rather be a big fish in a small pond?

As for O'connor, totally waste. But it's all his own doing, he's been given enough chances by numerous people and spurned most of them. I though he might have been recovering some of his old form when he came back to us.

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Spurs if my memory is correct never offered us anything for him, but after his first season at celtic were reputed to have offered £9m for him?

No English clubs as far as i'm aware offered us anything, and it was the bigot brothers who showed the most interest. The club did its best in getting the fee it did, as he was never staying at Hibs.

silverhibee
04-04-2014, 12:21 PM

It ain't going down to well with the Morton fans who are demanding he leaves the club Hiberlan.

silverhibee
04-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Fair enough, if they were the only team wanting him, but I was under the impression that was far from the case. I'm pretty certain the club had always said to the players back then that we wouldn't stand in their way, that they would get to decide their own futures, ie he wasn't forced to go to Celtic.

Didn't Reading make a bid for Brown. ?

The Sea-gull
04-04-2014, 12:42 PM

:agree: I remember him doing an interview once where he said the only other clubs he could have left Hibs for (i.e. the only clubs hisb accepted bids from during his time at ER) were Reading, Wigan, Bolton, Charlton and Celtic.

Everton, Newcastle, Man City, (before the Arab investment), Aston Villa and Spurs were all linked at various points but sounds as though they never bid or had a bid accepted.

Elephant Stone
04-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Wow, an owner who takes an interest in his team. What's that like?

Like wasting money on wages of obese players, having a sociopath as your team's manager and facing certain relegation, by the look of things.

edinburghhibee
04-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Spurs if my memory is correct never offered us anything for him, but after his first season at celtic were reputed to have offered £9m for him? No English clubs as far as i'm aware offered us anything, and it was the bigot brothers who showed the most interest. The club did its best in getting the fee it did, as he was never staying at Hibs.

It was Newcastle who enquired about signing brown for £9m but that was in his first season there and Celtic knocked it back.

number 27
04-04-2014, 01:00 PM

I was under the impression that Reading were the only club before Celtc to have an offer accepted.

IIRC Brown turned Reading down cos he didnt fancy playing for a team battling relegation from the Premiership.

steakbake
04-04-2014, 01:06 PM

The Tache does tell us though: the company has various valuable assets off the pitch which puts us in a strong financial position.

...and that seems to be about the limit of his insights.

jacomo
04-04-2014, 03:10 PM
There's a lot of nonsense written about Scott Brown.

It's well documented that he was very close to his sister, and spent lots of time at home with her while she was battling cancer. In other words, he had more reasons than most footballers to stay close to where he grew up.

It's clear that he became happy and settled at Celtc, he's a dedicated professional and has had a very good career. He has also maintained a good relationship with Hibs, and has a clear affection for us. The transfer request was a low ebb but he was a young man at the time being egged on by Willie McKay, and - compared to the mistakes made by the original subject of this thread - should surely be forgiven by now.

Had things been different, it would have been interesting to see how he would have fared in another League, but he certainly doesn't deserve criticism from any of us.

The_Exile
04-04-2014, 03:38 PM

It's well documented that he was very close to his sister, and spent lots of time at home with her while she was battling cancer. In other words, he had more reasons than most footballers to stay close to where he grew up.

It's clear that he became happy and settled at Celtc, he's a dedicated professional and has had a very good career. He has also maintained a good relationship with Hibs, and has a clear affection for us. The transfer request was a low ebb but he was a young man at the time being egged on by Willie McKay, and - compared to the mistakes made by the original subject of this thread - should surely be forgiven by now.

Had things been different, it would have been interesting to see how he would have fared in another League, but he certainly doesn't deserve criticism from any of us.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I had no idea about his sister, and if that's the reason he wanted to stay in Scotland then fair play and apologies for the insinuation he didn't have the desire to play at a higher level.

sleeping giant
04-04-2014, 05:12 PM
I find it heartbreaking the way things have gone for GOC. His fault ? Yes , but I still take no pleasure in the situation. Scored some great goals for us.

Hibernia Na Eir
04-04-2014, 07:20 PM

selling pies perhaps?

Hibernia Na Eir
04-04-2014, 07:22 PM
I find it heartbreaking the way things have gone for GOC. His fault ? Yes , but I still take no pleasure in the situation. Scored some great goals for us.

canny ever forget the last minute winner vs the Gorgay Bacteria.

Was a classic moment.

heretoday
04-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Was a classic moment.

He certainly gave us some great moments.

Hopefully, that will give him some happy thoughts in the years to come, which I'd imagine will be tough.

Jonnyboy
04-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Was a classic moment.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMK2oRF1Z8

Bostonhibby
04-04-2014, 07:32 PM

:agree: He had a box in front of us at that cup final, and I can tell you he wasn't supporting the charity robbers.

jacomo
04-04-2014, 07:46 PM
I'll hold my hands up and admit I had no idea about his sister, and if that's the reason he wanted to stay in Scotland then fair play and apologies for the insinuation he didn't have the desire to play at a higher level.

:aok:

He didn't speak about at the time, though he has since. At the time he moved to Celtc it certainly wasn't public and at the time I too felt he should have moved to the EPL.

I don't know him but by all accounts SB is a very decent character.