PDA

View Full Version : John Sutton, James Collins

The Sea-gull
03-04-2014, 01:18 PM
He has quietly scored 18 league goals this season. Doesn't get the plaudits that Commons, May, Boyd and McKay get but that is a very decent return from someone who stays under the radar.

He couldn't score to save himself when he was with Hearts. Perhaps an example of someone who will score goals in a team that supplies him with chances but is the sort of striker that needs supply rather than being able to create chances for himself.

Maybe this is what James Collins is too and maybe he will do better in a team that has bit more creativity in it. He's not my favourite player but all I am saying is that all may not be lost with him just yet.

S4uzee
03-04-2014, 01:24 PM
He has quietly scored 18 league goals this season. Doesn't get the plaudits that Commons, May, Boyd and McKay get but that is a very decent return from someone who stays under the radar.

He couldn't score to save himself when he was with Hearts. Perhaps an example of someone who will score goals in a team that supplies him with chances but is the sort of striker that needs supply rather than being able to create chances for himself.

Maybe this is what James Collins is too and maybe he will do better in a team that has bit more creativity in it. He's not my favourite player but all I am saying is that all may not be lost with him just yet.

I think John Sutton is a really poor footballer but somehow scores goals. When we played Motherwell a few weeks back he was rubbish but scored 2

Hibercelona
03-04-2014, 01:29 PM
I think John Sutton is a really poor footballer but somehow scores goals. When we played Motherwell a few weeks back he was rubbish but scored 2

Hopefully we'll be having some of that rubbish in the transfer window, as opposed to the usual rubbish. :agree:

CallumLaidlaw
03-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Worth remembering that in Mckays first season at ICT, he scored 3 goals in 24 games. He previously scored 16 goals in 84 appearances for League 2 Northampton. He's now 25.
Collins is currently 23. He has 6 in 30 in his first season, and last year he scored 18 in 51 for a league 1 side.

My_Wife_Camille
03-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Sorry but I just don't buy this whole idea about Collins not scoring goals because we don't create enough chances. For me he doesn't score enough goals because he's not a good enough finisher.

It's easy for anyone to see that we lack creativity when attacking but it should also be easy to see that when we do get the ball into a decent scoring opportunity, James Collins just isn't the man to take it.

He's had plenty of chances this season to score goals and he's blown them time and time again

Aberdeen at home, rounds the goalie and puts it wide
Hearts at home, ball drops inside the box and puts it over
Motherwell away, ball drops inside the box and puts it wide
Hearts away, set on a plate inside the box, blazes it over
Partick Thistle away, one on one in the box, shoots wide

5 great chances off the top of my head that James couldn't even find the target with!

There's lots of hard work to be done in time for next season, hopefully James is up to the challenge if he is still going to be here.

Elephant Stone
03-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Hopefully we'll be having some of that rubbish in the transfer window, as opposed to the usual rubbish. :agree:

We normally have good strikers.

Hibercelona
03-04-2014, 02:45 PM
We normally have good strikers.

Normally. But we've been a far cry from normal over the last several years.

Diclonius
03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
I'd take a punt on him. Why not?

Elephant Stone
03-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Normally. But we've been a far cry from normal over the last several years.

I think Griffiths was the best of the lot.

The_Horde
03-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Sorry but I just don't buy this whole idea about Collins not scoring goals because we don't create enough chances. For me he doesn't score enough goals because he's not a good enough finisher.

It's easy for anyone to see that we lack creativity when attacking but it should also be easy to see that when we do get the ball into a decent scoring opportunity, James Collins just isn't the man to take it.

He's had plenty of chances this season to score goals and he's blown them time and time again

5 great chances off the top of my head that James couldn't even find the target with!

There's lots of hard work to be done in time for next season, hopefully James is up to the challenge if he is still going to be here.

I think he's missing that chip on the shoulder that all strikers need, that arrogance. He needs to get off to a good start next season!

He's had odd chances like that but I can't remember many games where he's had (or we've had) several good chances in one match. We don't create several good chances! He's snatching at the ones we do create and he looks like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

My_Wife_Camille
03-04-2014, 04:06 PM
;3954907']I think he's missing that chip on the shoulder that all strikers need, that arrogance. He needs to get off to a good start next season!

He's had odd chances like that but I can't remember many games where he's had (or we've had) several good chances in one match. We don't create several good chances! He's snatching at the ones we do create and he looks like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders.
Agreed Slen. I did mention that we don't create enough chances which is why we need a better striker than James Collins to take advantage of them when they do arrive.

Golden Bear
03-04-2014, 04:09 PM

Exactly.

jacomo
03-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Worth remembering that in Mckays first season at ICT, he scored 3 goals in 24 games. He previously scored 16 goals in 84 appearances for League 2 Northampton. He's now 25.
Collins is currently 23. He has 6 in 30 in his first season, and last year he scored 18 in 51 for a league 1 side.

:agree:

I'm trying to hold onto this too! James Collins just doesn't look like a natural striker most of the time but with a bit more confidence... who knows?!

Either he's here next season or we take a bath to get him off the wage bill in the summer, which will surely reduce our budget for a decent replacement. I think we just need to hope for the best. He's a trier, at least...

The_Horde
03-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Agreed Slen. I did mention that we don't create enough chances which is why we need a better striker than James Collins to take advantage of them when they do arrive.

I still think Collins will be a good player for us.

confused
03-04-2014, 05:55 PM
;3954984']I still think Collins will be a good player for us.

Wish he would hurry up then , I'm 64 and no sure what sort of time scale you'r putting on this .

Callum_62
03-04-2014, 06:14 PM

To be fair, thats probbaly about the total of the chances that we have made for him.

Im maybe in the minority here, but I didnt think that was a sitter against Hearts (last weekend)...a good chance and he should be working McDonald, but certainly no sitter.

he was the one that played Watmore in from the half way line, then burst a gut to get to the lay off 15 yards from goal.

i like Collins....not had the greatest of 1st seasons, id definately be keeping him for another year though - particulary if we plan to use wingers.

ancient hibee
03-04-2014, 06:29 PM
He gets a lot of stick for his lack of heading ability.I think he's given up on that because earlier in the season he was constantly winning kick outs in the air and nobody was ever running off him to collect his flick ons.If you play only one up front the most stupid ball to give him is a high one down the middle because he can't hold it up.So as we have plenty stupid players that's the ball we play which is inexcusable because if there's only one at the front there must be spare bodies elsewhere to play it through.One of the things about poor strikers is that you often don't realise how many they're missing because they never turn the opportunity into a chance.That's why with McCoist,a first class striker,you knew when he missed one whereas for example Steven Fletcher-an athletic player but not an instinctive striker,you never know how many he's missed.

Borderhibbie76
03-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Not his greatest fan but I think he is a better player that what he has looked for most of this season. When him and heff were playing together earlier in season it showed signs of promise. For me, it should be them 2 up top for rest of season...Collins cannot play the lone striker...in fact none of iur current strikers can...TB sort it FFS!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

leggeto
03-04-2014, 07:39 PM
He gets a lot of stick for his lack of heading ability.I think he's given up on that because earlier in the season he was constantly winning kick outs in the air and nobody was ever running off him to collect his flick ons.If you play only one up front the most stupid ball to give him is a high one down the middle because he can't hold it up.So as we have plenty stupid players that's the ball we play which is inexcusable because if there's only one at the front there must be spare bodies elsewhere to play it through.One of the things about poor strikers is that you often don't realise how many they're missing because they never turn the opportunity into a chance.That's why with McCoist,a first class striker,you knew when he missed one whereas for example Steven Fletcher-an athletic player but not an instinctive striker,you never know how many he's missed.

your trying to convince yourself he's going to come good but its not going to happen,he will probably get another season or till January to prove himself,then I predict he'll be away on loan somewhere in England to see out the rest of his contract

Jones28
04-04-2014, 12:12 PM

The basis of that argument is totally flawed though. A striker who scored 2 goals, but is pish?

Isn't that a strikers job? Doesn't matter how or where from, just get the ball in the back of the net right?

Dashing Bob S
04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Good point. It's plain to see that Collins will rattle in for any club that actually puts balls into the box. Sadly, we seem to have decided against that style of play for the last seven years. He's suffering from the odious comparison with a truly gifted footballer and local homeboy Leigh G. He certainly isn't Leigh, but he's no Alan O'Brien either.

emerald green
04-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Colin Nish

:faf: