PDA

View Full Version : Is it Zoubir's time to shine?

California-Hibs
02-04-2014, 12:11 AM
I have been reading rave reviews over the past few weeks of Zoubirs performances for the under 20's. From what I gather he's been playing in the hole and has been very creative aswel as scoring goals. I think he deserves a run in the first team till the end of the season. Yes he never set the heather on fire when he's been in it, but lets been honest he wasn't terrible either, and has hardly been given a run.

I think a midfield of consisting of Stanton and Zoubir (Cairney also) will provide the creativity we badly need!

Thoughts?

Itsnoteasy
02-04-2014, 12:16 AM
I have been reading rave reviews over the past few weeks of Zoubirs performances for the under 20's. From what I gather he's been playing in the hole and has been very creative aswel as scoring goals. I think he deserves a run in the first team till the end of the season. Yes he never set the heather on fire when he's been in it, but lets been honest he wasn't terrible either, and has hardly been given a run.

I think a midfield of consisting of Stanton and Zoubir (Cairney also) will provide the creativity we badly need!

Thoughts?

He,s pish like the rest of them. What we lack is playing as a team & team spirit.

RIP Bestie
02-04-2014, 12:19 AM

Thoughts?
He really is not good enough. Cut our losses with that one for me. Cairney too.

Michael
02-04-2014, 12:48 AM
I was one of the many who wrote Claros off when he came. He ended up being a very good player for us...so it's not impossible that Zoubir could come good.

EDIT: Why is there an angry face in my post?

greenlex
02-04-2014, 02:40 AM
Not got it.

GreenLake
02-04-2014, 02:57 AM
I am not sure. Some players mature later or adapt more slowly. He may just need a goal.

gegs70
02-04-2014, 03:10 AM
Play him as a striker alongside boateng up front may find out he's a decent forward? Might be worth a try!!!!

Billy Whizz
02-04-2014, 05:47 AM
He,s pish like the rest of them. What we lack is playing as a team & team spirit.

You obviously didn't see him yesterday playing for the under 20's. had a cracking game, playing in the role just behind Cummings. I think this is his best position

Brightside
02-04-2014, 06:27 AM
You obviously didn't see him yesterday playing for the under 20's. had a cracking game, playing in the role just behind Cummings. I think this is his best position

Yeh he plays more central for u20s. When he plays for the first team he is normally just chucked out on the wing hoping that one of the defenders punts might get near him. Zouby and players like him NEED THE BALL. Terry could do himself a massive favour and watch and learn from the u20s and the way they play football.

easty
02-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Yeh he plays more central for u20s. When he plays for the first team he is normally just chucked out on the wing hoping that one of the defenders punts might get near him. Zouby and players like him NEED THE BALL. Terry could do himself a massive favour and watch and learn from the u20s and the way they play football.

Yet, there were a couple of posters on here last week saying the U20's don't play football anymore and that Malpas is there instructing them to go long all the time..

Also, Zoubir is never good enough for SPL. After this season I doubt we'll ever hear of him again.

Brightside
02-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Yet, there were a couple of posters on here last week saying the U20's don't play football anymore and that Malpas is there instructing them to go long all the time..

Also, Zoubir is never good enough for SPL. After this season I doubt we'll ever hear of him again.

Well that incorrect. Those posters might want to report back from last nights game. I'd have Zouby up front way before Collins.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Shine on you crazy diamond

Moon unit
02-04-2014, 07:37 AM

Thoughts?
The current squad have shown time and time again that they have not got the bottle for it . I think we have more chance of gaining points if we played the U 20's squad in the next game!...yes I know folks will say that's madness,but at least they will TRY!..

hibsbollah
02-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Zoubir has spent most of his time doing the same trick chopping onto his inside foot from the right wing, and then usually running out of options because everyone else in the team is focussed on hopeful diagonal balls up to a lone striker. There's no way of knowing how good he is because he's never going to fit into the way we currently play.

Saturdays Hero
02-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Shine on you crazy diamond

You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom.

Bronson
02-04-2014, 09:46 AM
I actually think there's a player in there, just a bit too lightweight and lazy. He has bags more talent than some players who do make our starting 11.

Beefster
02-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Player X hasn't been playing so he must be the answer. Ignore the fact that Player X has been utter pish 97.34% of the time that he's actually been on the pitch.

brian6-2
02-04-2014, 12:33 PM
didnt get why everyone wanted him thrown in when he came. turns out he was murder.

Hibercelona
02-04-2014, 01:30 PM
If anything a player like Zoubir is too good for our main team. I very much doubt huff, puff and hoof is his style. So it's no surprise that the U20s team suits him better.

The_Exile
02-04-2014, 01:59 PM
The wee nyaff wouldnae even get intae mah Subbuteo team, along wi the rest of them :greengrin

jacomo
02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
If anything a player like Zoubir is too good for our main team. I very much doubt huff, puff and hoof is his style. So it's no surprise that the U20s team suits him better.

Which team would you say is about Zoubir's level? PSG?

marinello59
02-04-2014, 02:58 PM

:faf:

tanfield
02-04-2014, 03:06 PM
I thought he had a decent game against Celtic. has he played since?

craigmounthibby
02-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I thought he had a decent game against Celtic. has he played since?
Nope, he hasn't. I was surprised when he wasn't in the match squad against St Johnstone, after scoring twice for the under 20's that week. It's almost impossible to guess what constitutes getting dropped, or picked again, especially after Harris re-appeared on Sunday, after we were told he would be rested for the remainder of the season.

I don't expect Zoubir will have a part to play in the last 7 games, but I'd be happy he did, if he has a positive impact.

Hibercelona
02-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Which team would you say is about Zoubir's level? PSG?

:faf:

A young Zemmama or Latapy would even look rubbish in the current set up. Playmakers aren't capable of carrying a team, they need good players around them who can keep up with the standard of play.

Zoubir might try something clever, but because the players around him aren't good enough to catch on to the idea, it ultimately fails.

Tell me, does this player really look like crap to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQHFksrT2Sc

Notice that he does things that are clever and they come off for him, because the other players are clever enough to read the play and get into the appropriate positions or make the appropriate runs.

That doesn't happen when he plays for us. Other players aren't reading the play, so anything he tries to do ends up failing.

easty
02-04-2014, 04:39 PM
A young Zemmama or Latapy would even look rubbish in the current set up. Playmakers aren't capable of carrying a team, they need good players around them who can keep up with the standard of play.

Zoubir might try something clever, but because the players around him aren't good enough to catch on to the idea, it ultimately fails.

Tell me, does this player really look like crap to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQHFksrT2Sc

Notice that he does things that are clever and they come off for him, because the other players are clever enough to read the play and get into the appropriate positions or make the appropriate runs.

That doesn't happen when he plays for us. Other players aren't reading the play, so anything he tries to do ends up failing.

By definition, playmakers make the plays! You give them the ball and they make something happen. So, actually, in a poor team a playmaker would still look decent enough.

Secondly, a YouTube video isn't proof of a good player. Not even a little bit.

Thirdly, Latapy and Zemmama would absolutely make our team better. Russell Latapy on his own would have taken apart that lot on Sunday. If you really want to make a kind of comparison for Zoubir, maybe lay off Latapy and Zemmama, more apt to go with Yantorno.

bigwheel
02-04-2014, 04:49 PM

I think out of everything - this might be the funniest post of the year so far! A cracker! well done!

bawheid
02-04-2014, 05:07 PM
A young Zemmama or Latapy would even look rubbish in the current set up

Wow.

Hibercelona
02-04-2014, 05:10 PM
By definition, playmakers make the plays! You give them the ball and they make something happen. So, actually, in a poor team a playmaker would still look decent enough.

Secondly, a YouTube video isn't proof of a good player. Not even a little bit.

Thirdly, Latapy and Zemmama would absolutely make our team better. Russell Latapy on his own would have taken apart that lot on Sunday. If you really want to make a kind of comparison for Zoubir, maybe lay off Latapy and Zemmama, more apt to go with Yantorno.

How can a playmaker make something happen, if the players around him aren't getting into the right positions or making the right runs at the right times?

A playmaker isn't a player that does everything by himself. The other players around him need to be capable of reading the play, otherwise the playmaker is just going to get snuffed out when he has no options available to him.

Playmakers need options in order to actually make the play.

Beefster
02-04-2014, 05:14 PM

Zoubir can't do anything clever on his own, never mind involving other players. Comparing him to Latapy (and Zemmama) is just ridiculous.

TheFamous1875
02-04-2014, 05:19 PM
What if you put Zoubir in the teams Latapy and Zemmama were in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hibercelona
02-04-2014, 05:23 PM
What if you put Zoubir in the teams Latapy and Zemmama were in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Then I reckon a lot more would come off for him, because the players off the ball would be reading and anticipating the play, therefore giving him options that he can work with.

hibsbollah
02-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Zoubir can't do anything clever on his own, never mind involving other players. Comparing him to Latapy (and Zemmama) is just ridiculous.

He's not comparing Zoubir and Latapy, he's just saying that even supremely talented players like that need a bit of time and to be operating in the right team setup. Which is spot on.

Like everyone else I would have liked to have seen more from Zoubir, but its a bit much to write off a bit part youngster in a terrible side for not winning games by himself.

If we're sharpening pitchforks, id rather aim mine at our experienced senior players like McGivern and Liam Craig.

Billy Whizz
02-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Lots of people writing him off who haven't seen much of him since the Celtic game in January.
He's played in around 4 under 20 games in the last 3/4 weeks. Ok he can be a bit frustrating, by over doing it, but he has undoubted talent. At the game yesterday he produced some lovely touches, and in most cases this led to the team creating a chance.
He's definitely worth a shot soon in the 2nd striker role

Ronniekirk
02-04-2014, 05:41 PM
How can a playmaker make something happen, if the players around him aren't getting into the right positions or making the right runs at the right times?

A playmaker isn't a player that does everything by himself. The other players around him need to be capable of reading the play, otherwise the playmaker is just going to get snuffed out when he has no options available to him.

Playmakers need options in order to actually make the play.

He looked to have potential when he first came .When he came on at thistle and used pace out wide beat a few players and put great ball into middle that Craig ( remember him ) latched on to and struck a great shot and goal ,so simple .
no idea what happened as he quickly seemed to loose confidence and so has Craig so maybe there is a clue there as to what has gone wrong Billy whizz goes to all under 20 games and says he is doing well and best position is playing in hole behind striker .
The problem now is it looks like OTj could come into team against dons so that's another player that hasn't been in first time for months ?So the more players he has to throw in to the mix ,the more we seem to have been disjointed and lacklustre in performances .We need to build on the second half performance against Hearts which was better than first and get some continuity with best team ,but that is real problem no one appears to know what that is

easty
02-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Lots of people writing him off who haven't seen much of him since the Celtic game in January.
He's played in around 4 under 20 games in the last 3/4 weeks. Ok he can be a bit frustrating, by over doing it, but he has undoubted talent. At the game yesterday he produced some lovely touches, and in most cases this led to the team creating a chance.
He's definitely worth a shot soon in the 2nd striker role

That's a matter of opinion. I don't see the talent with him at all.

Also, I wouldn't give him a shot as the 2nd striker, I doubt we'll see much, if any, of him in Hibs first team.

Billy Whizz
02-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Also, I wouldn't give him a shot as the 2nd striker, I doubt we'll see much, if any, of him in Hibs first team.

Think he's scored in 2 out of the last 4 games, ok a lower level. In wondering where our goals are going to come from then

Hibercelona
02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

If Butcher had no future plans for him, I don't think he'd even be getting games in the U20's squad. Instead, the club would have another future potential playing in his place.

Iggy Pope
02-04-2014, 05:53 PM

And to think not long ago you called me, what was it? 'A moany faced bar steward'. Sweetness and light from you these days.

The_Horde
02-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Zoubir has undoubted talent and ability that most of our players don't have. He needs developed to fit into the SPL both physically and tactically. Time that we haven't had all season because we've been terrible.

In all of those clips of zoubir on youtube he's at his best when players surround him and play one, two touch passes. When have we ever done that this season?

easty
02-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Think he's scored in 2 out of the last 4 games, ok a lower level. In wondering where our goals are going to come from then

I think it's safe to say from our past experience that scoring goals at that level doesn't necessarily translate to the first team.

Hibercelona
02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
;3953822']Zoubir has undoubted talent and ability that most of our players don't have. He needs developed to fit into the SPL both physically and tactically. Time that we haven't had all season because we've been terrible.

In all of those clips of zoubir on youtube he's at his best when players surround him and play one, two touch passes. When have we ever done that this season?

Correct. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole. He needs players around him that are intellegent and quick enough to anticipate what he's trying to do.

You can't shove a playmaker into a team full of fodder and expect then to take the game to the opposition solo. It just doesn't happen that way.

Hibercelona
02-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I think it's safe to say from our past experience that scoring goals at that level doesn't necessarily translate to the first team.

Thats because youngsters making the step up find themselves in a squad full of "pros", who aren't actually pros at all.

Suddenly they find themselves taking on more than they can chew. Not because they're not good enough, but because the players around them are failing to offer them the support and service that they were getting in the U20s squad.

I know that may seem like a controversial thing to say, but thats my honest take on the situation.

Beefster
02-04-2014, 06:48 PM
And to think not long ago you called me, what was it? 'A moany faced bar steward'. Sweetness and light from you these days.

You've been much cheerier since I called you that, btw.

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2014, 07:13 PM
FFS I know we are crap but anyone suggesting that Zoubir can bring anything to the team is having a laugh. Never good enough in a million years, said it from day one and have seen nothing from him to change my mind since.

LaMotta
02-04-2014, 08:15 PM
;3953822']Zoubir has undoubted talent and ability that most of our players don't have. He needs developed to fit into the SPL both physically and tactically. Time that we haven't had all season because we've been terrible.

He's got more talent than Collins, thats for sure.

bigwheel
02-04-2014, 08:22 PM
FFS I know we are crap but anyone suggesting that Zoubir can bring anything to the team is having a laugh. Never good enough in a million years, said it from day one and have seen nothing from him to change my mind since.

I'm with this post...

heretoday
02-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Zoubir wouldn't shine if you connected him to an electricity pylon.

Iggy Pope
03-04-2014, 08:02 PM
You've been much cheerier since I called you that, btw.

Have I? Don't credit yourself. Maybe I'm just less adept than you and a few others at sharing misery. 90mins can be enough without the reminders.

rcarter1
03-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Thats because youngsters making the step up find themselves in a squad full of "pros", who aren't actually pros at all.

Suddenly they find themselves taking on more than they can chew. Not because they're not good enough, but because the players around them are failing to offer them the support and service that they were getting in the U20s squad.

I know that may seem like a controversial thing to say, but thats my honest take on the situation.

Doesn't seem controversial to me. The pressure is much much greater for the senior side, and there is no relaxed risk taking. Just boot it and hope for the best. The young guys coming through must think WTF?

Leithenhibby
03-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Zoubir wouldn't shine if you connected him to an electricity pylon.

I disagree, he has more talent than most that I've seen at ER. I'd most definitely like to see him get a longer spell in the first team. Give the young man a chance, not just 15 minutes at a time when the game is running away from us. :agree:

GGTTH.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2014, 08:40 PM
I disagree, he has more talent than most that I've seen at ER. I'd most definitely like to see him get a longer spell in the first team. Give the young man a chance, not just 15 minutes at a time when the game is running away from us. :agree:

GGTTH.

He has skill with the ball at his feet, a bit like one of those guys who can juggle a ball for hours but would never make it as a pro footballer.

Leithenhibby
03-04-2014, 08:49 PM
He has skill with the ball at his feet, a bit like one of those guys who can juggle a ball for hours but would never make it as a pro footballer.

With the players that are, getting a game at the moment, I'd give him a shirt....

I'd like to see him get a run until the end of the season. If he don't cut it, then fine. I just think he has something that we haven't tapped into yet....

hibbymick
03-04-2014, 09:03 PM
The way we lump high balls up the park these days wouldnt suit his game. Hes used to all the futsal stuff....passing, dribbling, etc. Thats mibee why he doesnt get a game these days. Pity theres no a HOOFSAL.

Unseen work
04-04-2014, 01:39 AM
every time iv seen him play the things he does well are 9/10 incredibly flukey imo. i dont know how he does it, he gets the break of the ball alot

personally dont rate him

Beefster
04-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Have I? Don't credit yourself. Maybe I'm just less adept than you and a few others at sharing misery. 90mins can be enough without the reminders.

This is getting like a mutual appreciation society.

easty
04-04-2014, 06:39 AM
The way we lump high balls up the park these days wouldnt suit his game. Hes used to all the futsal stuff....passing, dribbling, etc. Thats mibee why he doesnt get a game these days. Pity theres no a HOOFSAL.

What makes you think he's used to that? He came from a 2nd division French team, not PSG. And he played more of his football out on loan at a 4th tier French side.

He's not in our side cos he ain't good enough, not cos he's used to better football and isn't able to lower his game to our level/standard.

hibsbollah
04-04-2014, 06:51 AM
What makes you think he's used to that? He came from a 2nd division French team, not PSG. And he played more of his football out on loan at a 4th tier French side.

He's not in our side cos he ain't good enough, not cos he's used to better football and isn't able to lower his game to our level/standard.

There's a good argument that second tier French football is superior to the SPL, and they undoubtedly play a more technical passing game, so the point is fair.
I keep half an eye on french football and his club Istres drew with a full strength Olympique Marseille in a friendly at the end of last year, which suggests they're a level above Albion Rovers.

easty
04-04-2014, 07:59 AM
There's a good argument that second tier French football is superior to the SPL, and they undoubtedly play a more technical passing game, so the point is fair.
I keep half an eye on french football and his club Istres drew with a full strength Olympique Marseille in a friendly at the end of last year, which suggests they're a level above Albion Rovers.

I dunno about the standard of second tier French football, but drawing with Marseille in a friendly doesn't say anything about the standard at all.

hibsbollah
07-04-2014, 04:45 PM
By all accounts he starts tonight. The weather means its probably not the best conditions for playing the ball on the deck but I'd love to see what recent u20 watchers have been seeing from Zoubir.