PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Baptie and Andrew Black

Diclonius
01-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Keep hearing about these two being mentioned as potential starts in our next few games due to injuries/suspensions/players being *****.

What positions do they play, what stage of development are they at and will they be able to adjust to the first team? :dunno:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Keep hearing about these two being mentioned as potential starts in our next few games due to injuries/suspensions/players being *****.

What positions do they play, what stage of development are they at and will they be able to adjust to the first team? :dunno:

Black is a Right back and Baptie is a Left Back.

truehibernian
01-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Andy Black is a right back, very energetic, great engine, loves getting up and down the flank and has big heart - brave and quick.

Ryan Baptie is a left back, not as quick but composed and neat and tidy passer, gets forward - sometimes a little caught positionally but very good player. Strolls through games and good in the air too.

Both ready for me and Black in particular - baffled as to why he hasn't been given a chance given it's a huge problem area.

Dean Horribine would be in my starting 11 too, along with Cummings.

SaulGoodman
01-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Black is a Right back and Baptie is a Left Back.

Conveniently that's exactly what we need. Get them in

keep the faith
01-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Never seen Baptie but he HAS to be better than McGivern.
I dont think I can take another McGivern performance in a Hibs jersey!

TheFamous1875
01-04-2014, 05:58 PM

Are you hearing this from the forums, or from someone in the know or someone at Hibs? I don't want to get excited over nothing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Michael
01-04-2014, 06:24 PM
I'd like to see them given a shot.

But, why don't we play Lewis at left back? He's a pretty consistent performer and IMO would be a much better option than McGivern.

Also, considering Forster is not a proper RB; he looked quite decent from what I've seen.

eastterrace
01-04-2014, 06:36 PM
I'd like to see them given a shot.

But, why don't we play Lewis at left back? He's a pretty consistent performer and IMO would be a much better option than McGivern.

Also, considering Forster is not a proper RB; he looked quite decent from what I've seen.

lets no play lewis at left back in fact let stop signing players that are similar to lewis , he might be a nice lad and have a big heart but thats why we are in this mess because of that standard off player

J-C
01-04-2014, 08:18 PM
What position does Donaldson play, thought he was a rb/cb

Jonnyboy
01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
lets no play lewis at left back in fact let stop signing players that are similar to lewis , he might be a nice lad and have a big heart but thats why we are in this mess because of that standard off player

Bollox

Jonnyboy
01-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Andy Black is a right back, very energetic, great engine, loves getting up and down the flank and has big heart - brave and quick.

Ryan Baptie is a left back, not as quick but composed and neat and tidy passer, gets forward - sometimes a little caught positionally but very good player. Strolls through games and good in the air too.

Both ready for me and Black in particular - baffled as to why he hasn't been given a chance given it's a huge problem area.

:agree: 100%

oconnors_strip
01-04-2014, 08:56 PM
What position does Donaldson play, thought he was a rb/cb

He is that but is currently out injured and about 2 weeks from being back running

Steven_Hibs
01-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Effort-yes, ability-no. If he's at Easter road next season, I'll defo not be going back. We need a complete clear out. Time to play Baptie at LB.

Jonnyboy
01-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Effort-yes, ability-no. If he's at Easter road next season, I'll defo not be going back. We need a complete clear out. Time to play Baptie at LB.

Enjoy your weekends off

eastterrace
01-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Bollox

truth hurts, he is pish , just a squad player if , but we play him all the time, nae wonder were crap.

Lester B
01-04-2014, 09:07 PM

Give it a rest. The thread is not even about Stevenson. Some people take any excuse. And you can't spell a two letter word. Forgive me but I don't think that's a sign that you are a deep thinker

eastterrace
01-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Give it a rest. The thread is not even about Stevenson. Some people take any excuse. And you can't spell a two letter word. Forgive me but I don't think that's a sign that you are a deep thinker

deep thinker is that what you are oh and i dont forgive you either

Jonnyboy
01-04-2014, 09:12 PM
truth hurts, he is pish , just a squad player if , but we play him all the time, nae wonder were crap.

In your warped opinion

Lester B
01-04-2014, 09:13 PM
deep thinker is that what you are oh and i dont forgive you either

After that performance on Sunday by the team, are you really saying that the worst player on show was Stevenson?? Seriously??? Worse than....well let's not stoop to that level.

TheFamous1875
01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Stevenson set up the disallowed goal with a class cross for Forster. He also put Collins through with a tidy through ball in the first half. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves. If it was Thomson or Stanton that had done either of these two things, they'd be getting touted as the answer.

eastterrace
01-04-2014, 09:17 PM
After that performance on Sunday by the team, are you really saying that the worst player on show was Stevenson?? Seriously??? Worse than....well let's not stoop to that level.

who was talking about sunday not me , i was on about the standard off player we keep getting similar too stevenson thats why were crap, so dont start putting words into my mouth.

Lester B
01-04-2014, 09:21 PM
who was talking about sunday not me , i was on about the standard off player we keep getting similar too stevenson thats why were crap, so dont start putting words into my mouth.

Words in your mouth? Thoughts in your head might be better. And it's 'of' not 'off'. And 'to' not 'too' and..... oh I'm off to read a book. Stevenson is a decent player and I am getting sick of people getting on his case when there are many others not trying a leg in that team or huffing and puffing to no avail.

eastterrace
01-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Words in your mouth? Thoughts in your head might be better. And it's 'of' not 'off'. And 'to' not 'too' and..... oh I'm off to read a book. Stevenson is a decent player and I am getting sick of people getting on his case when there are many others not trying a leg in that team or huffing and puffing to no avail.

harry potter i presume , night night.

Lester B
01-04-2014, 09:31 PM
harry potter i presume , night night.

Albert Camus actually. No; didn't think so. Returning to original theme of thread. Play them both next game. Why not? We don't know what we'll get from them but must be better than the starting full backs on Sunday, surely.

eastterrace
01-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Albert Camus actually. No; didn't think so. Returning to original theme of thread. Play them both next game. Why not? We don't know what we'll get from them but must be better than the starting full backs on Sunday, surely.

oh him , pretty boring but a bit like your taste in footballers . see ya

Mikey
01-04-2014, 09:41 PM
oh him , pretty boring but a bit like your taste in footballers . see ya

Any chance you can raise the level of discussion just a wee bit?

iwasthere1972
01-04-2014, 09:43 PM

Utter mince. Lewis gives his all every game unlike some who look like they can't be bothered. If we had a team of eleven Stevenson's we would be in the top six.

Hermit Crab
01-04-2014, 09:45 PM

I you're not going to attend if Stevenson is still at the club?? Right then.

eastmainsmsh
01-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Baptie is a player would like to see him involved

keep the faith
01-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Utter mince. Lewis gives his all every game unlike some who look like they can't be bothered. If we had a team of eleven Stevenson's we would be in the top six.

This

gorgie greens
02-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Don't think anyone could ever question the 100% that Lewis puts in to every game he plays for us,if others with more ability put in the same shifts in effort we would not be in the mess we are in at the moment but we have an under 20's team that has been flying this season and would love to see a few of them giving a chance to shine but don't think it would be wise to play both full backs in the same game as it could leave us exposed at the back .

California-Hibs
02-04-2014, 12:06 AM

The descriptions of these two players sound VERY similar to Whittaker and Murphy. If they are even half as good as those two were then they should be placed straight into the team ASAP!

RIP Bestie
02-04-2014, 12:15 AM

Can do no worse than what we have at the moment but I really wouldn't want another Alex Harris situation, where expectation levels on the young kids to carry the team are so unfair.

Steven_Hibs
02-04-2014, 04:48 AM
I you're not going to attend if Stevenson is still at the club?? Right then.

That's what I said. I'm not paying £400 to watch garbage like him.

Centre Hawf
02-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Would like to see atleast one of them get a run in till the end of the season.

Also lay off Stevenson for christ sake. The lad performs better than most each week and puts in more effort than our last two squads combined.

marinello59
02-04-2014, 06:05 AM

Sometimes I think some Hibs fans get exactly what they deserve.

Steven_Hibs
02-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Sometimes I think some Hibs fans get exactly what they deserve.

Exactly, pay decent money and get ripped off time and time again, foolish for us to persist paying for mediocrity. We get exactly what we deserve, and until we start voting with our feet, nothing will be done

marinello59
02-04-2014, 06:12 AM
Exactly, pay decent money and get ripped off time and time again, foolish for us to persist paying for mediocrity. We get exactly what we deserve, and until we start voting with our feet, nothing will be done

I meant the more spiteful minded amongst us, not those who are still willing to put their hands in their pocket. Blaming the fans who support the club for anything is just plain stupid.

Cameron1875
02-04-2014, 06:25 AM
I don't think I could be any less of a Stevenson fan but when you witness Hibs games like on Sunday then surely people realise that he would be at the bottom of the list to get rid of.

He may not have the ability of a top player but he has one of the best attitudes in the squad, never shirks a challenge and is a long serving player (rightly or wrongly).

Wish the same could be said about our other "senior pro's":rolleyes:.

Anyway back on topic, give these young lads a chance. Can't be any worse than we've got! :flag:

KingFranck
02-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Black in at right back Baptie at left back Horribine, Stanton, Zubir and Max Todd Midfield and Euan Smith up top for Heff to feed off come on TB you know it makes sense:flag:

number9dream
02-04-2014, 07:48 AM

If these guys are even half as good as described above, it's quite incredible that they haven't been given a chance. I can understand not throwing them in for the derby but the St Johnstone trip was surely the perfect opportunity, especially since TB was fresh from his "rather go with kids" line... Hopefully see them before the end of the season since it has been a problem area for years at ER.

Liberal Hibby
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Have you tried Ebbsfleet United? Because that model works so well...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebbsfleet_United_F.C.

Diclonius
02-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Stevenson is a legend and does nothing every week but do his best. I have no complaints with his performances.

The majority of our squad, however.. :rolleyes:

Brightside
02-04-2014, 08:43 AM

Good.

3pm
02-04-2014, 08:48 AM
We're building these boys up to be something special. It's a bit unfair for them to have this pressure on them.

And I am not sure how Lewis comes off as the bad guy again.

truehibernian
02-04-2014, 09:30 AM
We're building these boys up to be something special. It's a bit unfair for them to have this pressure on them.

And I am not sure how Lewis comes off as the bad guy again.

That is true however applying some common sense and realism to things, Black and Baptie would definitely improve the back line in the full back area as it stands now.

Black is for me the better player out the two - someone said 'is he like Whittaker', I'd caution and say no - he is quite a small full back and lean - and he is more 'tigerish'. Steven Whittaker had more agility. What AB does it get up and down the flank and has energy in abundance - that takes a team higher up the pitch, more often, and into more attacking areas - and combats any opposition full backs who want to attack down that flank.

Ryan Baptie has a lovely left foot and is really calm in possession - something Ryan McGivern is not at present. Ryan is as good a goal a game for the opposition and how he has retained his place can only be due to his size - even then he doesn't jump and attack balls into the box !

The 20's are top of the league and don't readily concede - so they are doing something right at that level. Worth the risk if you ask me.

Jones28
02-04-2014, 10:50 AM

You won't be missed

Dinkydoo
02-04-2014, 11:48 AM

He's not started consistently since our last good run - where he was chipping in with assists, a goal and putting in MoTM performances. Funny that without him, Robertson and Cairney playing in midfield, we've had no attacking threat from that area of the park at all - apart from Stanton, who is only one man (and a young one at that).

patlowe
02-04-2014, 11:55 AM
That is true however applying some common sense and realism to things, Black and Baptie would definitely improve the back line in the full back area as it stands now.

Black is for me the better player out the two - someone said 'is he like Whittaker', I'd caution and say no - he is quite a small full back and lean - and he is more 'tigerish'. Steven Whittaker had more agility. What AB does it get up and down the flank and has energy in abundance - that takes a team higher up the pitch, more often, and into more attacking areas - and combats any opposition full backs who want to attack down that flank.

Ryan Baptie has a lovely left foot and is really calm in possession - something Ryan McGivern is not at present. Ryan is as good a goal a game for the opposition and how he has retained his place can only be due to his size - even then he doesn't jump and attack balls into the box !

The 20's are top of the league and don't readily concede - so they are doing something right at that level. Worth the risk if you ask me.

This may come across as a tad cheeky but it's not intentional. The way you and others are describing Black makes it sound like he has similar attributes to Fraser Mullen, ie lots of energy, enthusiasm, gets up the park. I've never seen the guy play - does he have the ability and positional sense to match the qualities you mention?

It would be great to see Hibs bring through a couple of quality full backs. Whittaker and Murphy (and how bad we have been since they left) showed how crucial these positions can be in putting together a successful attacking team.

Steven_Hibs
02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
You won't be missed

Good, that's the attitude throughout the club anyway

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Ironically, Whitty will be back with us before we've actually properly replaced him. Which will mean we've gone 10 years without a decent right back. One of many reasons for the last shambolic 7+ years

Mcpakeisgod
02-04-2014, 12:52 PM
My IQ has just taken a severe battering after reading eastterraces posts, jeezo.

As always I love seeing young guns come into the team, I always feel more anticipation and excitement when watching a player who has made his way through the youth system rather than a new signing. Let them play!!

Diclonius
02-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Ironically, Whitty will be back with us before we've actually properly replaced him. Which will mean we've gone 10 years without a decent right back. One of many reasons for the last shambolic 7+ years

Clancy was pretty good for the 2 or 3 games he was fit.

Billy Whizz
02-04-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm sure we'll see both of them before the end of the season at some stage, as well as Euan Smith

Pretty Boy
02-04-2014, 05:57 PM

This.

Lewis Stevenson is a million miles from being the biggest problem at ER currently.

Pretty Boy
02-04-2014, 05:58 PM

Have a word eh?

Jonnyboy
02-04-2014, 06:58 PM

Why not have a one man boycott?

As others have said, you wont be missed

Stantons Angel
02-04-2014, 07:27 PM

good!!!! we can do without your patronage and those like you !

This was a perfectly goodl post about two young players getting a chance in the first team games before the end of the season!

Why then bring your thoughts of another player into it and change the style of posts being written. i sometimes despair of poster like you.

We are all fed up with the displays from Hibs this season and believe me there is no one more disgusted than me! if you dont want to continue your commitment to your club then DONT!

To say you are not renewing to watch garbage like" him" is just pathetic! you are only trying to get the reaction you are by saying this.

Lewis Stevenson was our best player on the park on Sunday not only did he lay on that disallowed goal but put over some great crosses into the box only to find no one in there.

Another poster stated that Hibs would be in a better position if we had some more players like him!! I agree with this too. Being part of a successful team is not just about having talented players, we need players like Lewis to work hard and keep possession!

The so called "class" players in our team did NOT perform on Sunday and i dont see anyone complaining about them!

I for one am glad that so called fans like you are not renewing for next season as im fed up of the doom and gloom merchants sitting around me continually moaning everytime a pass goes astray!

These young lads would love to play in the remaining games of the season but what chance have they got with idiots shouting and moaning at them all game. That wont do their confidence any good at all

by the way, Lewis wont be kicked out at the end of the season, he still has another year of his new 2yr contract to run!

I bet your family are looking forward to having you in the house all of next season!

J-C
02-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Dear god, I come on here to read about two young up and coming full backs and we get the usual imbecilic drivel regarding Stevenson, a player who is fairly talented and gives 100% every game, something some of the so called better players in the squad do little of.

Personally, if the two young lads are good enough, they're old enough, get them in now and give them the experience they need for the start of next season.

frazeHFC
02-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Getting a few of the younger lads in is probably the only thing that'll see me make the effort to go to any more games this season. Not exactly rolling in money and exams coming up so not wasting cash /time going to watch that garbage we play every week just now, felt so let down in recent weeks never mind Sunday.

Billychaotic182
02-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Without sounding negative these boys won't get a game this season. Not because they're not good enough. I can't see butcher putting youngsters into a losing team for them to get abused when things go wrong which is happening. Ross Caldwell and Danny Handling over the last 6 month have been getting ripped a new one on here and on twitter. And I don't think that's good for there development. Saying that Caldwell is mainly down to his poor attatude

WellingtonHibby
03-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Without sounding negative these boys won't get a game this season. Not because they're not good enough. I can't see butcher putting youngsters into a losing team for them to get abused when things go wrong which is happening. Ross Caldwell and Danny Handling over the last 6 month have been getting ripped a new one on here and on twitter. And I don't think that's good for there development. Saying that Caldwell is mainly down to his poor attatude

Only because they are guff. Handling will not make it at this level. Too slow and too lightweight. Caldwells attitude will be the end of him. I predict he will be playing lower league juniors in a season or so. No disrespect intended to either of the two. I would just be shocked if either of them get a career out of the game. And i'd be miffed if wither of them are at Hibs next year

Steven_Hibs
03-04-2014, 05:40 AM
Why not have a one man boycott?

As others have said, you wont be missed

I will boycott next season, like most others, if things aren't improved or players aren't punted.

Steven_Hibs
03-04-2014, 05:45 AM
good!!!! we can do without your patronage and those like you !

This was a perfectly goodl post about two young players getting a chance in the first team games before the end of the season!

Why then bring your thoughts of another player into it and change the style of posts being written. i sometimes despair of poster like you.

We are all fed up with the displays from Hibs this season and believe me there is no one more disgusted than me! if you dont want to continue your commitment to your club then DONT!

To say you are not renewing to watch garbage like" him" is just pathetic! you are only trying to get the reaction you are by saying this.

Lewis Stevenson was our best player on the park on Sunday not only did he lay on that disallowed goal but put over some great crosses into the box only to find no one in there.

Another poster stated that Hibs would be in a better position if we had some more players like him!! I agree with this too. Being part of a successful team is not just about having talented players, we need players like Lewis to work hard and keep possession!

The so called "class" players in our team did NOT perform on Sunday and i dont see anyone complaining about them!

I for one am glad that so called fans like you are not renewing for next season as im fed up of the doom and gloom merchants sitting around me continually moaning everytime a pass goes astray!

These young lads would love to play in the remaining games of the season but what chance have they got with idiots shouting and moaning at them all game. That wont do their confidence any good at all

by the way, Lewis wont be kicked out at the end of the season, he still has another year of his new 2yr contract to run!

I bet your family are looking forward to having you in the house all of next season!

In a way yea, I'd prefer to work than watch some of the drivel that's on shoe ATM, if I want to post on here about me disliking Stevenson I can, I don't moan and groan at games so I prefer doing it on here, apparently it's not welcome. But so what, I'm entitled to state my view. My view will never change, he does nothing in games to make me think he is going to have an impact.

marinello59
03-04-2014, 05:50 AM
In a way yea, I'd prefer to work than watch some of the drivel that's on shoe ATM, if I want to post on here about me disliking Stevenson I can, I don't moan and groan at games so I prefer doing it on here, apparently it's not welcome. But so what, I'm entitled to state my view. My view will never change, he does nothing in games to make me think he is going to have an impact.

Why the need to turn every thread in to a Stevenson bashing thread though? It's little more than trolling.

Steven_Hibs
03-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Why the need to turn every thread in to a Stevenson bashing thread though? It's little more than trolling.

Cause someone mentioned playing him left back, and I don't see the point in that. He's played there before yes, but he was rank rotten. So my point was why not play the young LB Baptie and see what he can do. My other comments still stand though. I can bash him as much as I like right? Cause according to most on here he plays brilliantly consistently.

Oscar T Grouch
03-04-2014, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't have these two near this side at the moment. I think they will both be great players for us, I think Ryan Baptie wil be oor best LB since Murph, with more goals in him than Murph ever had. I used to work wi his dad David, a good Hibee and very proud of his laddie.

I say save them for next season. Playing in the atmosphere that is ER at the moment would effect the hardest professional, the negativity in the stadium is shocking and the abuse thrown at the players from the first minute onwards sickens me. If we stick two laddies into that, we will do their game harm. Let them finish on a high with the U20s, maybe win the league, they all really want to do it for their team mate who died. Then in the summer get the best of that squad in with what Terry plans to bring in and start preseason with then all as an integrated as a new squad.

The player budget wil be effected by the downturn in ST sales so this great squad of u20s will need to be used by Terry next year whether he likes it or not.

oconnors_strip
03-04-2014, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't have these two near this side at the moment. I think they will both be great players for us, I think Ryan Baptie wil be oor best LB since Murph, with more goals in him than Murph ever had. I used to work wi his dad David, a good Hibee and very proud of his laddie.

I say save them for next season. Playing in the atmosphere that is ER at the moment would effect the hardest professional, the negativity in the stadium is shocking and the abuse thrown at the players from the first minute onwards sickens me. If we stick two laddies into that, we will do their game harm. Let them finish on a high with the U20s, maybe win the league, they all really want to do it for their team mate who died. Then in the summer get the best of that squad in with what Terry plans to bring in and start preseason with then all as an integrated as a new squad.

The player budget wil be effected by the downturn in ST sales so this great squad of u20s will need to be used by Terry next year whether he likes it or not.

Most sensible post I've read on here in a long time!!

The under 20s have a chance of winning league, east of scotland team winning their league, and also still in two cups! we need a full and strongest player pool for those games

number 27
03-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Most sensible post I've read on here in a long time!!

The under 20s have a chance of winning league, east of scotland team winning their league, and also still in two cups! we need a full and strongest player pool for those games

No offence to you because i appreciate the posts from yourself and others keeping us up to date with the younger players but I think you may have your priorities wrong here.

It really will not matter what the u-20's win if we end up relegated through play offs and at the moment we are really struggling at full back, it must be worth looking at these guys now regardless of where that leaves our u-20 title hopes.

Oscar T Grouch
03-04-2014, 09:12 AM
No offence to you because i appreciate the posts from yourself and others keeping us up to date with the younger players but I think you may have your priorities wrong here.

It really will not matter what the u-20's win if we end up relegated through play offs and at the moment we are really struggling at full back, it must be worth looking at these guys now regardless of where that leaves our u-20 title hopes.

For what purpose? Why would this benefit Hibs is any way? It will adversely effect these youngsters to being them into a losing team with a crap attitude. This season is over, we won't be relegated, the only thing that bringing these two FBs into the first team will do is show them how bad it can be playing for Hibs. Let them finish in a winning team, keep Forster at RB and McGivern at LB, we still have options in the 1st team. Don't poison these youngsters yet, Theres plenty of time to do that in the future. It's call protecting them, at their age they need that.

number 27
03-04-2014, 09:21 AM
For what purpose? Why would this benefit Hibs is any way? It will adversely effect these youngsters to being them into a losing team with a crap attitude. This season is over, we won't be relegated, the only thing that bringing these two FBs into the first team will do is show them how bad it can be playing for Hibs. Let them finish in a winning team, keep Forster at RB and McGivern at LB, we still have options in the 1st team. Don't poison these youngsters yet, Theres plenty of time to do that in the future. It's call protecting them, at their age they need that.

For what purpose? How about to try to win enough points to keep us up? I do not share your confidence that we are safe yet and we need our best players in the team whether they are young or not.

If they are not strong enough to handle 2 or 3 games without being "poisoned" then frankly it does not say much about their prospects IMO.

Oscar T Grouch
03-04-2014, 09:31 AM
What I'm saying is why subject them to the first team? You really think 2 u20s will transform the team? The FB we have will do and at this stage of the season their experience will be worth more than youth with no experience of the 1st team. While you may not think the u20s league is that important, it seems strange to derail a real chance of winning a league, just so we can test a couple of youngsters in the first team. These two FBs have been instrumental in the u20s success, I just don't see the advantage to be gained by promoting them into the first team

number 27
03-04-2014, 09:41 AM
What I'm saying is why subject them to the first team? You really think 2 u20s will transform the team? The FB we have will do and at this stage of the season their experience will be worth more than youth with no experience of the 1st team. While you may not think the u20s league is that important, it seems strange to derail a real chance of winning a league, just so we can test a couple of youngsters in the first team. These two FBs have been instrumental in the u20s success, I just don't see the advantage to be gained by promoting them into the first team

It would be great if we won the u-20's, I really hope we do, but where we seem to differ is that I genuinely feel that we are in danger of relegation and that avoiding that must be the priority.

We also differ if you think our current full backs are good enough ,I believe they are costing us points. I would promote Black to the first team for monday, all young players have to make the step up sometime and just possibly it could be the making of him rather than a poisonous experience. I would imagine the boy himself would love a shot at the first team, that is the whole purpose of him being here isn't it?

J-C
03-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Cause someone mentioned playing him left back, and I don't see the point in that. He's played there before yes, but he was rank rotten. So my point was why not play the young LB Baptie and see what he can do. My other comments still stand though. I can bash him as much as I like right? Cause according to most on here he plays brilliantly consistently.

Really, every time Stevenson has played at left back he's been extremely steady, I think your getting confused with when he played at RB under Fenlon, he'd definitely be a far better shout than McGivern is at the moment.

Oscar T Grouch
03-04-2014, 11:37 AM
It would be great if we won the u-20's, I really hope we do, but where we seem to differ is that I genuinely feel that we are in danger of relegation and that avoiding that must be the priority.

We also differ if you think our current full backs are good enough ,I believe they are costing us points. I would promote Black to the first team for monday, all young players have to make the step up sometime and just possibly it could be the making of him rather than a poisonous experience. I would imagine the boy himself would love a shot at the first team, that is the whole purpose of him being here isn't it?

You're right we do see it differently, I do not see us getting near the play off place, even if we did, I think we'd win it. The atmosphere at ER at the moment is not a good environment for any player, never mind a couple of young laddies doing well in the u20s, the FBs we have at the moment are gash but, they have experience. Say we do bring in the two young FBs, say one of them mucks up a clearance and costs us a goal, do you think they'd be spared the wrath of some of the idiots in the stands? I sit in the east and the abuse I have heard been shouted at Harris and Stanton, two of our brightest prospects, genuinely made me wonder where we get some of our supporters from.

I think this will have to be a case of agree to disagree, I reckon we're safe, and there is no need to blood the two young FBs at this stage of, what has been, a bloody awful season. IMO I think they probably would cope with the atmosphere and abuse, but why inflict it on them? Believe me, once these guys make the step up, everyone will be impressed, its just its not needed for the last 6 games of an awful season.

PS I reckon we're safe cause I think we'll turn aberdeen over, it seems to be with Hibs, that when you least expect it, they pull a result oot the bag from somewhere.

Steven_Hibs
03-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Really, every time Stevenson has played at left back he's been extremely steady, I think your getting confused with when he played at RB under Fenlon, he'd definitely be a far better shout than McGivern is at the moment.

Watch the Hibs 2-3 St Mirren games highlights.

J-C
03-04-2014, 01:53 PM

:rolleyes:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-04-2014, 05:05 PM

:top marks

matty_f
03-04-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't think putting under 20's in the side should necessarily be a bad thing when we're not playing well. If they're good players they'll shine anyway and it might even give the experienced players a lift - they need to do a bit more to help the young ones, it's a bit more responsbility and they look after their own game better.
We have had plenty young players in the side over the years, and loads of teams have players in from 17-18 years old regardless of how well the team is going. I think we have a tendency to be over-protective of some of the young players because of the under 20's league - it's like they should be there until they're not eligible and then they're chucked into the first team if they're considered good enough, and then if they don't cut it they're ditched.

Thinking about players like Sean Welsh, Lee Currie and Kurtis Byrne - these boys excelled at Under 19's level then when they were too old they got a couple of games in the first team and then punted. If they'd had more first team exposure from 17 years old they'd have been better equipped for the first team, IMHO.

What's the old adage? "If you're good enough, you're old enough." If it's quality that's stopping them getting a game then fair enough, but let's not shy away from playing them because they're young.

Jonnyboy
03-04-2014, 07:10 PM
I will boycott next season, like most others, if things aren't improved or players aren't punted.

Most others? I doubt it

Therein lies the reason why you will never be happy.

I remember that game. He was poor I agree. One game you cite, whereas you reckon he's always rank

Stantons Angel
03-04-2014, 08:14 PM

Whether or not you like or dislike a player is personal to you yourself and as you say is your point of view. It upset me that this post is NOT talking about Lewis but giving praise to two up and coming youngsters. Then the barracking of Lewis starts in the middle of it? I'm sorry but i cant see any logic in doing this.Not every post has to be about him, he is only one player in a bad team!

There have been so many posts on here about how awful a player he is, he is talent less, he hasn't lived up to expectations etc. The list goes on and on but the bottom line is that he has been given a place in the team on merit, on his determination and commitment to the jersey. AND i'm not talking about just 1 manager here either!

On Sunday the first person to get stuck in to Hamill & co was Stevenson, the crowd rose to him and wanted more from the others on the park, but we didn't get it either.

So whether or not you chose to renew your season ticket its up to you, but don't blame not renewing on Lewis, its you that's making the point and you that's making that decision.

Im sure you wont change your mind, all i was asking you to do was stop turning this thread into another bash Lewis one.

Whether or not you renew is up to you?

Ronniekirk
03-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Exactly Hanlon was injured early doors and our experienced players were found wanting and pace down flanks we couldn't cope with and balls into box caused havoc .A bit like the first hearts goal on Sunday there whole defence as unit at fault and no one tracking back to put pressure on Patterson so he had plenty time to decide where he was putting that cross . also Mcgiverns experience is counting for nothing so if a youngg player could come in and do what foster did last season what have we to loose as with sticjking with some of current players we will probably loose game anyway

Iggy Pope
03-04-2014, 09:01 PM
I don't think putting under 20's in the side should necessarily be a bad thing when we're not playing well. If they're good players they'll shine anyway and it might even give the experienced players a lift - they need to do a bit more to help the young ones, it's a bit more responsbility and they look after their own game better.
We have had plenty young players in the side over the years, and loads of teams have players in from 17-18 years old regardless of how well the team is going. I think we have a tendency to be over-protective of some of the young players because of the under 20's league - it's like they should be there until they're not eligible and then they're chucked into the first team if they're considered good enough, and then if they don't cut it they're ditched.

Thinking about players like Sean Welsh, Lee Currie and Kurtis Byrne - these boys excelled at Under 19's level then when they were too old they got a couple of games in the first team and then punted. If they'd had more first team exposure from 17 years old they'd have been better equipped for the first team, IMHO.

What's the old adage? "If you're good enough, you're old enough." If it's quality that's stopping them getting a game then fair enough, but let's not shy away from playing them because they're young.

Spot on.
Jimmy O'Rourke was good enough for Europe at 16. And John Brownlie??? Capped at RB. At 19. Benny Brazil (God bless him) was multi capped at lower age levels by the time he was 21.
If you can pee you can play full back ( yes, said it before) and no question they are ready. While I agree with Vince's sentiment I think Steven_hibs. is talking through his hole about wee Lewis as he proves this point entirely.

DTS
03-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Andy black is a complete and utter arrogant prick yes it's off topic but I don't want people like him to play for our team although if he benefits us then I can deal with it! I went to school with him by the way

matty_f
03-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Andy black is a complete and utter arrogant prick yes it's off topic but I don't want people like him to play for our team although if he benefits us then I can deal with it! I went to school with him by the way
Sure he speaks very highly of you as well.

Steven_Hibs
03-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Spot on.
Jimmy O'Rourke was good enough for Europe at 16. And John Brownlie??? Capped at RB. At 19. Benny Brazil (God bless him) was multi capped at lower age levels by the time he was 21.
If you can pee you can play full back ( yes, said it before) and no question they are ready. While I agree with Vince's sentiment I think Steven_hibs. is talking through his hole about wee Lewis as he proves this point entirely.

Yeah I better not slate wee Lewis, seems to upset the folk on here more than him.

Iggy Pope
03-04-2014, 10:08 PM

Is it a school dinners thing, a better boots thing or a bigger prick thing? Or did he just pump yer bird before you?

Steven_Hibs
03-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Whether or not you like or dislike a player is personal to you yourself and as you say is your point of view. It upset me that this post is NOT talking about Lewis but giving praise to two up and coming youngsters. Then the barracking of Lewis starts in the middle of it? I'm sorry but i cant see any logic in doing this.Not every post has to be about him, he is only one player in a bad team!

There have been so many posts on here about how awful a player he is, he is talent less, he hasn't lived up to expectations etc. The list goes on and on but the bottom line is that he has been given a place in the team on merit, on his determination and commitment to the jersey. AND i'm not talking about just 1 manager here either!

On Sunday the first person to get stuck in to Hamill & co was Stevenson, the crowd rose to him and wanted more from the others on the park, but we didn't get it either.

So whether or not you chose to renew your season ticket its up to you, but don't blame not renewing on Lewis, its you that's making the point and you that's making that decision.

Im sure you wont change your mind, all i was asking you to do was stop turning this thread into another bash Lewis one.

Whether or not you renew is up to you?

Right I think I get it, I'll no bash wee Lewis again.

Ronniekirk
We need some arrogance about us on the field so if he can do a job great but haven't heard butcher mention any young players recently and he goes and watches them If someone had caught his eye you would think he would of been talking them up they way he did with handling foster Harris and Stanton .

Iggy Pope
Yeah I better not slate wee Lewis, seems to upset the folk on here more than him.

Yeah.

Steven_Hibs
03-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Most others? I doubt it

Therein lies the reason why you will never be happy.

I remember that game. He was poor I agree. One game you cite, whereas you reckon he's always rank

I remember loads of games. How many goals has he scored, how many good games has he had.

Iggy Pope
03-04-2014, 10:17 PM
I remember loads of games. How many goals has he scored, how many good games has he had.

Jonnyboy
03-04-2014, 10:19 PM

Why bother asking? You've made up your mind and you ain't gonna change it.

Look on the bright side. When Lewis lines up next season you won't be there to see him

frazeHFC
03-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Can't believe this thread has turned into Stevenson bashing. On Sunday, the only players that looked like they gave a **** were himself, Stanton and Handling. There's a near full squad of imposters that deserve abuse ahead of him.

ehf
03-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Can't believe this thread has turned into Stevenson bashing. On Sunday, the only players that looked like they gave a **** were himself, Stanton and Handling. There's a near full squad of imposters that deserve abuse ahead of him.

:agree: and Harris when he came on.

J-C
04-04-2014, 08:11 AM

A much added piece of info for the discussion, please in future keep stuff like this in your head, it's safer in there and doesn't make you look stupid.

emerald green
04-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Don't think anyone could ever question the 100% that Lewis puts in to every game he plays for us,if others with more ability put in the same shifts in effort we would not be in the mess we are in at the moment but we have an under 20's team that has been flying this season and would love to see a few of them giving a chance to shine but don't think it would be wise to play both full backs in the same game as it could leave us exposed at the back .

I'm not going to get involved in the stuff about Lewis Stevenson, other than to say he is not a left back IMO. It's not his best position. We are so exposed at the back already mate. The back 4 is a shambles, and has been since about, oh lets see, when Rob Jones left. Even a management team of TB & MM - both highly capped defenders - just can't seem to stop the goals pouring in against us. I reckon we've sunk so low now we've got to give these lads a chance.

emerald green
04-04-2014, 01:51 PM

You "went to school with him by the way". So what? Did you call him that to his face? "If he benefits us then I can deal with it!" Oh that's nice for you. You are bang out of order.

Oscar T Grouch
04-04-2014, 02:00 PM

I heard Christiano Ronaldo is an arrogant pr!ck too, we should definitely no have him in the team either, we need more meek unassuming types, you know, like all the great footballers :wink:

TheFamous1875
04-04-2014, 02:21 PM
There's countless sports athletes who're arrogant *******s on and off the field - I couldn't give a monkeys if a Hibs player was a dick off the pitch. I want Hibs players to be a good players on the pitch, nothing more.
A lot of Hibs heroes have previous for being utter ********s up town, etc, but so what? That's nothing to do with us.

We support them as football players, and that's all that matters. They owe us nothing in their personal time.

The_Horde
04-04-2014, 03:40 PM
I heard Christiano Ronaldo is an arrogant pr!ck too, we should definitely no have him in the team either, we need more meek unassuming types, you know, like all the great footballers :wink:

LG seemed sound enough when I met him recently. But when I played against him for school teams he was a wee d***.

Moral of the story is who cares as long as they dae the damage for the hibs.

Unseen work
04-04-2014, 11:15 PM
im happy we have a "arrogant" prick in our team if its true. About time we have someone with a bit of swagger and self beleif about them

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-04-2014, 11:21 PM

Whether he plays or not is up to our manager, not you.