PDA

View Full Version : Outfield Players Ending up in Goal

Glory Lurker
31-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Probably my favourite thing in football, although sadly a rarity these days thanks to the crazy loosening of the rules to allow a second keeper on the bench.

I think I remember Pat McGinley and Darren Jackson having to don the gloves back in the day. I can't remember if they were any good, though? Any recollections of outfield players making a contribution to the game once they ended up between the sticks?

nonshinyfinish
31-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Probably my favourite thing in football, although sadly a rarity these days thanks to the crazy loosening of the rules to allow a second keeper on the bench.

I think I remember Pat McGinley and Darren Jackson having to don the gloves back in the day. I can't remember if they were any good, though? Any recollections of outfield players making a contribution to the game once they ended up between the sticks?

Darren Jackson was at Parkhead circa 1996, I think?

We were one up when Leighton went off injured, lost 2-1. My recollection is that Jackson made a few decent saves, but also fumbled a cross for one of the goals.

Braced and ready to be corrected. :wink:

EDIT: were we perhaps wearing the legendary green and purple stripes?

Brooster
31-03-2014, 08:54 PM
I vaguely remember Graham Mitchell playing in goals.

stevenhibs
31-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Bit off track a little but Warnock never named a sub keeper for Sheffield United when Jagielka played because he was so good in goal.

weedgiehibbie
31-03-2014, 08:57 PM
I recall Andy Millen taking over the gloves from Leighton after he was sent off at Fir Park in a 1-1 draw i think and doing ok

lapsedhibee
31-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Peter Cormack was the man.

truehibernian
31-03-2014, 08:59 PM
I vaguely remember Graham Mitchell playing in goals.

Against Dundee IIRC, big Reidy was taken off - could be way off the mark though.

edinburghhibee
31-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Didn't Robbie winters have to go in goal during a final with Aberdeen v rangers. Sure Leighton got teeth smashed out early doors and the dons ended up getting beat 4-1 possibly wrong about the score.

nonshinyfinish
31-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Didn't Robbie winters have to go in goal during a final with Aberdeen v rangers. Sure Leighton got teeth smashed out early doors and the dons ended up getting beat 4-1 possibly wrong about the score.

Think it was 4-0, it was the year we lost to the Dons in the semi (my first trip to Hampden - damn you Andy Dow! :grr:).

IWasThere2016
31-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Bit off track a little but Warnock never named a sub keeper for Sheffield United when Jagielka played because he was so good in goal.

I remember that..

My son's team also do that with him - he's just turned 14. He's an incredible utility player tbh - having played in goal, upfront, all midfield positions, LB, RB, CH and is now is their first choice sweeper - where he's excelled. So, he's played every position - and every game this season - only one other boy in the team has done so.. They've romped their league - unbeaten all season. They give it their all every game .. take note Hibs players!! Mighty proud! :thumbsup:

Time For Heroes
01-04-2014, 12:50 AM
Few years ago now but I remember Vinnie "the cat" Jones ending up in goals for the crazy gang. Philip Albert scored I think, no idea of the score though.

Michael
01-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Only time I remember is John Terry a few years ago. Wish this stuff happened more!

hibbybrian
01-04-2014, 04:31 AM

Directly above Tom McNiven's left shoulder is my head :greengrin I'm standing in front of my Grandad (wearing his cap) and on his right, Tommy MacDonald, another auld Hibby :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
01-04-2014, 04:59 AM
I recall Andy Millen taking over the gloves from Leighton after he was sent off at Fir Park in a 1-1 draw i think and doing ok

Remember that well.

Sure we were 1-0 up when Leighton was sent off and held out until about 10 minutes to go.

Mr White
01-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Willie miller went in goals in a night game against rangers at easter road after budgie was sent off for a foul outside the box. Free kick hits the wall, ref gives a pen for handball and willie has to face a penalty almost straight away. Think it finished 0-3.

Edit: having checked it was actually against airdrie and we lost 0-2 in April 92 with calum milne also sent off. Obviously getting mixed up between teams that went on to be liquidated :tee hee:

jodjam
01-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Did Kano not have to go in goals at the Tennents sixes once or am I just being a slaver.

Godsahibby
01-04-2014, 07:51 AM

And he saved them against Arsenal at Brammal Lane, played pretty much most of the second half in goals when Paddy Kenny went off. Had a couple of unbelievable saves if I remember and United ended up winning 1-0 through a goal from Christian Nade!

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-04-2014, 08:36 AM
It's also my favourite thing (closely followed by keepers coming up for corners). Shame it rarely happens now due to having so many subs. I also remember AM going in through at Motherwell in the 1-1 draw. He done well, nearly held out for a clean sheet. Think during the Mowbray years we might have had more joy some weeks with an outfield player in the sticks

Bill Milne
01-04-2014, 09:56 AM

IIRC Peter took over in an ESS game at Tynecastle (1968?) and performed magnificently in a 1-1 draw.

Billychaotic182
01-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Wayne Rooney is meant to be a cracking Goalie as well. Think I read the same about john terry

number 27
01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Willie Miller did pretty well against Airdrie IIRC, that was a horrendous game, Airdrie were their usual selves, niggly fouls, time wasting, intimidating officials etc. and the ref let them away with everything. The atmosphere was really poisonous, It felt like we were very close to fans going on the pitch and having a go at the officials.

I never could understand how they kept getting away with stuff that was so obvious:confused:

edinburghhibee
01-04-2014, 10:49 AM
It's also my favourite thing (closely followed by keepers coming up for corners). Shame it rarely happens now due to having so many subs. I also remember AM going in through at Motherwell in the 1-1 draw. He done well, nearly held out for a clean sheet. Think during the Mowbray years we might have had more joy some weeks with an outfield player in the sticks

The Sunderland keeper was in the hammers box twice last night. Never understood it myself. Why would you send up your goalie and leave two outfield players on the half way line??? Surely it's better to move the keeper to half way and send in your outfield players?!?!?

hibs4thecup1988
01-04-2014, 10:58 AM
The Sunderland keeper was in the hammers box twice last night. Never understood it myself. Why would you send up your goalie and leave two outfield players on the half way line??? Surely it's better to move the keeper to half way and send in your outfield players?!?!?

Usually it is a scare tactic, if you see the opposing keeper in your box defenders don't know what to do. Another thing is height. Usually your keeper is taller than your regular midfielder...obviously OTJ is an exception :wink:

jdships
01-04-2014, 11:08 AM
On the opposite tack
Goalkeeper playing outfield after getting injured
November 1950
Hearts 4 V Partick Thistle 5
"Their only win in that run being an extraordinary 5-4 defeat of Hearts after Thistle keeper Tommy Ledgerwood got injured, was then forced onto the wing and scored a goal."

Was a hero down Leith way for weeks !!
:thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
01-04-2014, 11:19 AM
On the opposite tack
Goalkeeper playing outfield after getting injured
November 1950
Hearts 4 V Partick Thistle 5
"Their only win in that run being an extraordinary 5-4 defeat of Hearts after Thistle keeper Tommy Ledgerwood got injured, was then forced onto the wing and scored a goal."

Was a hero down Leith way for weeks !!
:thumbsup:

Not quite the same but I remember David James playing up front for the last 5/10 minutes of a game a few seasons ago.

Wasn't forced, Stuart Pearce just said he thought the height and presence might cause the defence a few problems so gave it a go.

edinburghhibee
01-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Usually it is a scare tactic, if you see the opposing keeper in your box defenders don't know what to do. Another thing is height. Usually your keeper is taller than your regular midfielder...obviously OTJ is an exception :wink:

I see where your coming from to a point but would it not be better putting in an outfield player in the off chance that it drops to him and surely he has a better chance of scoring.

stu in nottingham
01-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Pretty sure I saw Dixie Deans, ex-Celtic go in goal for Luton Town against Notts County unless my memory is playings tricks.

Argylehibby
01-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Remember hearts keeper getting sent off at ER and one of their outfield players saving the penalty. Think it was Brian Hamilton that blasted it straight down the middle and the "keeper" didn't move and turned it over the bar. Nightmare!

Wighty76
01-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Graham Roberts went in goal for rangers after chris woods was carded during the 2 all game. I mind him going upto the crowd behind his goal and pretending to be a conductor. 'Twas a nonsense game with too many drama queens.

Hiber-nation
01-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Remember hearts keeper getting sent off at ER and one of their outfield players saving the penalty. Think it was Brian Hamilton that blasted it straight down the middle and the "keeper" didn't move and turned it over the bar. Nightmare!

I can remember Henry Smith saving one from Hamilton early on in a Derby at ER but not an outfield player.

Fergos
01-04-2014, 02:20 PM
The mists of time and other things....may be playing tricks but I'm sure Arthur Duncan used to be the stand in for Jim McArthur during the late 70s / early 80s.....

GGTTH

Green Man
01-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had a cracking save the other week :greengrin

dave62
01-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Did Kano not have to go in goals at the Tennents sixes once or am I just being a slaver.

When I read the subject line, this was the first thing that came into my head. I'm sure it happened, unless we've both gone mad.

craigmounthibby
01-04-2014, 05:48 PM
I can remember Henry Smith saving one from Hamilton early on in a Derby at ER but not an outfield player.
Correct. Hooray Henry said that he knew where Hamilton was going to place it because there was a diagram in the programme that showed where he scored his last penalty, in the previous home game. I think the genius that came up with that idea for the programme stopped it kinda immediately afterwards....:confused:

MM19
01-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Remember that at Tynecastle. Think it ended 0-0

Hiber-nation
01-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Correct. Hooray Henry said that he knew where Hamilton was going to place it because there was a diagram in the programme that showed where he scored his last penalty, in the previous home game. I think the genius that came up with that idea for the programme stopped it kinda immediately afterwards....:confused:

I remember that...typical Hibs!!