PDA

View Full Version : Ben, Butcher and Best XI

Speedway
31-03-2014, 12:31 PM
If the current rumour of Williams signing for Celtic is correct, how would everyone feel about his replacement being Craig Gordon?

I was not one who wanted Butcher to get the job because, as I posted at the time, his SPL win record (as opposed to his 1st division win record) was worse than that of Fenlon's. However, I think what we're seeing here is two things:

1. A guy who doesn't like losers
2. A guy who is fighting more than his playing squad not performing.

Any manager needs 12 months before they can really be judged but are we still willing to give him that long?

Having watched some of the worst football in my lifetime since Butcher's arrival, what can be noticed is that the baw burst in terms of confidence at Tannadice (as accurately predicted by many on here) but that up to that point we had a settled side with a settled way of playing.

Now he doesn't seem to know his best side but based on what I've seen, perhaps this 4-4-2 is the way to go for the rest of the season~

Williams
Maybury Forster Hanlon Stevenson
Cairney Robertson Thomson Stanton
Collins Heff

I don't rate any of his three loanees (touch Watmore and he tumbles over) and let's just get some consistency in terms of performance to build from.

What we still haven't worked out however, is how we've become the graveyard for players and managers careers. What is it about us that is ******ing individual performance development as much as we're seeing?

J-C
31-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Pretty sue Gordon's retired from the game, unless I'm mistaken.

leggeto
31-03-2014, 12:35 PM

he is,his knee injury

Brightside
31-03-2014, 12:36 PM
He announced he was fit again yesterday.

hibee_girl
31-03-2014, 12:37 PM

BBC reporting on their website that he's now fit again

Golden Bear
31-03-2014, 12:38 PM
No.

Speedway
31-03-2014, 12:39 PM

He fit to play and talking to clubs, including Hibs.

happiehibbie
31-03-2014, 12:42 PM
If the current rumour of Williams signing for Celtic is correct, how would everyone feel about his replacement being Craig Gordon?

I was not one who wanted Butcher to get the job because, as I posted at the time, his SPL win record (as opposed to his 1st division win record) was worse than that of Fenlon's. However, I think what we're seeing here is two things:

Any manager needs 12 months before they can really be judged but are we still willing to give him that long?

Having watched some of the worst football in my lifetime since Butcher's arrival, what can be noticed is that the baw burst in terms of confidence at Tannadice (as accurately predicted by many on here) but that up to that point we had a settled side with a settled way of playing.

Now he doesn't seem to know his best side but based on what I've seen, perhaps this 4-4-2 is the way to go for the rest of the season~

Williams
Collins Heff

I don't rate any of his three loanees (touch Watmore and he tumbles over) and let's just get some consistency in terms of performance to build from.

What we still haven't worked out however, is how we've become the graveyard for players and managers careers. What is it about us that is ******ing individual performance development as much as we're seeing?

I saw Craig Gordon and said he was fully fit and though instantly what a signing he would be.

Again I agre with your points BUT have to stop at team selection Maybury FFS no way the reast I would agree with

However Mc Pake is close to be fit to play !!!

DAVE1875
31-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Wouldn't take Gordon unless we had an equally competent 2nd choice keeper ready for any moment given how injury prone Craig is

I'm mainly puzzled as to why Butcher refuses to play Collins & Heff up front as starting strikers, early signs of gelling and working earlier before Heff got injured so why not try to continue it when Heff is fit again? Is it not obvious that the lone striker isn't working?

jacomo
31-03-2014, 12:46 PM
I'd take Gordon no problem, and ignore his Jambo past and fondness for Buffon (hopefully he admires him as a keeper and not for his Fascist leanings).

James Collins can't play on his own up front (certainly not at the moment) and in fact I don't think we have anyone suited to the lone striker role, so 442 makes sense.

It's the way of things to now hail Robertson as our best midfielder - apparently we've missed him. Katie maybe deserves a run until the end of the season, when he will no doubt leave and could embarrass us at another club.

I don't think Maybury is the answer, apart from the odd game, and McGivern is disappointing at the moment. Maybe it is time for the kids to get a chance? Yes we are in a bit of a pickle but we need something from somewhere, and youthful enthusiasm might be a start.

TheFamous1875
31-03-2014, 12:48 PM
He said that he was in discussions with a few clubs and that he wanted to play at the highest level and regain his place for Scotland.

I don't think he'll go back to Hearts as they don't need him/can't afford him. He seems level headed enough that he'd consider coming to Hibs, but for obvious reasons may abstain from doing so (I'd be happy if he did, if Williams is to leave, which apparently he is).

Celtic would be the obvious candidates to join, with Forster linked with a move every transfer window, but the single most spewing I would be would be if he were to sign for Aberdeen. They stepped it up a notch with Rooney, and they'd be doing it again if they got Gordon to replace Langfield (who has played well this season but is potentially a weak link).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pretty Boy
31-03-2014, 12:49 PM
A fully fit Craig Gordon would be the best keeper in the league by a country mile.

Keeping him fit would be the hard part.

Diclonius
31-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Gordon would be a fantastic signing for us. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

****ing hated him when he was at Hearts, mind. :wink:

Weststandwanab
31-03-2014, 12:50 PM
No, - Not sure he would sign for us but if he would what another blow to the Yams.

easty
31-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Craig Gordon, fit and back to the level of ability he was years ago is too good for Hibs. I'd take that Craig Gordon.

Will he really ever be properly fit again though? He'd not be a cheap option, and we certainly cant afford to have a high earner not playing for us.

Elephant Stone
31-03-2014, 12:53 PM
If he is genuinely fit then I'd imagine he'd have no shortage of interest in him. If we could get him then I can't imagine a better, realistic replacement for Williams.

TheFamous1875
31-03-2014, 12:54 PM
If he is genuinely fit then I'd imagine he'd have no shortage of interest in him. If we could get him then I can't imagine a better, realistic replacement for Williams.

What about a realistic one? :P

Diclonius
31-03-2014, 12:54 PM
No, - Not sure he would sign for us but if he would what another blow to the Yams.

Actually winning games against them is the only blow that matters to me right now.

I'd just be happy we were signing a genuinely top-level keeper.

GreenLake
31-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Hibs offer an attractive place for an older keeper where there will be plenty of crosses coming into the box past both full backs and shots peppering the goal from balls over the top. No chance of him seizing up getting cold or bored leaning against the post doing nothing on damp and windy winter days.

Sir David Gray
31-03-2014, 12:56 PM
I can't see him ever playing at that level again to be honest.

He's hardly played at all in about 3-4 years so getting himself up to that standard again will be tough for him.

TheFamous1875
31-03-2014, 12:59 PM
The amount I used to wax lyrical about the difference made in derby results 2004-2008 if Gordon was in the Hibs' goal not mucking it up for us, and not in the Hearts' goal single handedly saving their bahookies, it would've been all Hibs. The ones we lost, we probably would've won, and the one's we win would've been by much bigger margins.

PeterboroHibee
31-03-2014, 01:00 PM
If Gordon was over his injuries and could stay fit, he would be an improvement on what we have. If Williams gets a contract with Celtic hes done well given how hes played this season!

Iceman1875
31-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Is it just me that thinks williams being linked to Celtic is crazy? He's average at best!

Anyway, I'd welcome craig Gordon to hibs - he'd be an asset IMO.

Sky sports understands that Hearts are going down.

Michael
31-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Is it just me that thinks williams being linked to Celtic is crazy? He's average at best!

Not at all. He'd be a decent 2nd/3rd choice keeper for them. Also, he's getting older so it would be his last shot at a lucrative contract.

AndyM_1875
31-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Williams is going back down south.

No chance he's going to the soapdodgers.

Weststandwanab
31-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Actually winning games against them is the only blow that matters to me right now.

I'd just be happy we were signing a genuinely top-level keeper. Agreed but there is only one more game to play against them for a while unless there is a cup draw.

If Gordon was over his injuries and could stay fit, he would be an improvement on what we have. If Williams gets a contract with Celtic hes done well given how hes played this season!A cheap option for the soapies

Not at all. He'd be a decent 2nd/3rd choice keeper for them. Also, he's getting older so it would be his last shot at a lucrative contract. It will help pay his mortgage.

Williams is going back down south.

No chance he's going to the soapdodgers. Money talks !

Ozyhibby
31-03-2014, 03:58 PM
If we have any chance at all we should go for Gordon. He has already said that he is willing to do a pay as you play deal.

weonlywon6-2
31-03-2014, 04:07 PM
BBC reporting on their website that he's now fit again

oh god please no,he wouldnt come to hibs anyway,thank goodness

MrRobot
31-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Would take him in a heartbeat. Great keeper. Shame he's missed so much through injury.

DH1875
31-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Problem with Gordon is that we'd need to have a pretty good keeper as back up just incase he did get injured. When you factor in the wages for them both then we'd be better off just going for a good solid keeper or even offer Ben the money.

PISTOL1875
31-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Craig Gordon , fully fit would be a great platform to start with next season.. Any Hibs fan who doesn't want him because he used to play for Hertz should be never grace Easter Road again..

Unseen work
31-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Craig Gordon
Aaron Taylor sinclair
Danny Swanson
Fraser fyvie

Is 4 players we should deff go for

lord bunberry
31-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Craig Gordon , fully fit would be a great platform to start with next season.. Any Hibs fan who doesn't want him because he used to play for Hertz should be never grace Easter Road again..

That would be me then, I hope he never gets anywhere near a hibs team.

weonlywon6-2
31-03-2014, 05:12 PM

looks like i cant go back to easter road again !!!

dont get the love in,hes not that great a keeper hasnt played for several years and we want him in our team????

crazy crazy idea,give the lad murdoch a chance

TornadoHibby
31-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Gordon would be a fantastic signing for us. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

****ing hated him when he was at Hearts, mind. :wink:

If we had him as our keeper when Mowbray was here we would have won trophies without doubt IMO! :agree:

silverhibee
31-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Why is he not joining up with a club just now to get some games in.

Saturdays Hero
31-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Craig Gordon
Aaron Taylor sinclair
Danny Swanson
Fraser fyvie

Is 4 players we should deff go for

Craig Gordon won't be at Hibs next season.

SunshineOnLeith
31-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Problem with Gordon is that we'd need to have a pretty good keeper as back up just incase he did get injured. When you factor in the wages for them both then we'd be better off just going for a good solid keeper or even offer Ben the money.

Problem, or opportunity for a club like Hibs to get him since he can't command too high a wage due to this risk? I'd be happy with Gordon as number 1 with Murdoch stepping in as and when required if Gordon's knee can't stand up to 2 or 3 games a week, for example.

In terms of best XI for the rest of the season, while I agree McGivern needs dropped I don't think the answer is putting Lewis back there again when he's been one of our better players at left mid. Give one of the u20s a game at left back.

Moon unit
02-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Williams
Collins Heff

Simple,the entire U 20 squad!..

heretoday
02-04-2014, 10:06 AM

:agree: It's very shortsighted in this day and age to take against a man just because he played for Hearts. I can think of some useful players who'd have been excluded on those grounds.

Willie Hamilton anyone?

cmcd
02-04-2014, 02:42 PM
:agree: It's very shortsighted in this day and age to take against a man just because he played for Hearts. I can think of some useful players who'd have been excluded on those grounds.

Willie Hamilton anyone?

Willie Hamilton YES One of the best if not the best in my time and how we could do with Alan Gordon right now

Hamish
02-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Willie Hamilton YES One of the best if not the best in my time and how we could do with Alan Gordon right now

:agree: though even Ralph Callachan, Jim Brown and Malcolm Robertson would help:greengrin

Hermit Crab
02-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Williams to celtic?? No chance.

silverhibee
02-04-2014, 03:13 PM
It's ok for Gordon to say he is fit again, but he isn't match fit and who would take a chance on him right now, (maybe Hibs, we have a habit of signing crocks) he has been out of football for 3-4 years now, let someone else take a chance on him as there is only one outcome for the guy, injured in his first game..

Next.

jgl07
03-04-2014, 03:08 PM
It's ok for Gordon to say he is fit again, but he isn't match fit and who would take a chance on him right now, (maybe Hibs, we have a habit of signing crocks) he has been out of football for 3-4 years now, let someone else take a chance on him as there is only one outcome for the guy, injured in his first game..

Next.
Simple, go with a pay as you play arrangement.

I recall when Jim Leighton signed for Hibs there were gasps about him being rubbish at Man United and worse at Dundee.

He came good.

Ozyhibby
03-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Gordon is worth a pay as you play deal.