PDA

View Full Version : Team Selection - Tactics for Next Game (Dons)

Hibby_CR14
31-03-2014, 08:46 AM
I have faith in Butcher to get it right for us in the long term however his team selection and tactics recently are very strange. We do have a rubbish squad but I feel we can put together a good enough 11 to pick up enough points from the remaining games...the problem is that TB keeps leaving our better players out.

The team vs THEM was awful to say the least. How anyone can think a midfield of midgets is a great idea is beyond me, how Collins started and lasted the 90mins was strange, Handling is also not ready and I really don't want to discuss the defence...

So, I think the below team should be given a shot. This gives us better balance in defence and going forward also adding some much needed strength and height in midfield! Defence is a hard selection as they seem very poor at the mo and will miss Hanlon big time.

Williams

Young right back..Forster....McGivern....Stevenson

Tudor-Jones......KT

Watmore/Harris....Craig......Stanton

Heff

This midfield would give better stability to the team. TJ can sit in front of our awful defence, pass to KT who can then play in our attacking players. The problem with the midfield against THEM was that it was so easy to get through. Tiawo and Stevenson both give effort but lack the ability to play in midfield IMO. I know Craig has been poor for us but if we play him behind the striker I think he could be good (in his actual position).

The Heff has to start, Collins is just murder and seems to have 0 composure.

Thoughts?

JustSimplyHibs
31-03-2014, 08:57 AM
I have faith in Butcher to get it right for us in the long term however his team selection and tactics recently are very strange. We do have a rubbish squad but I feel we can put together a good enough 11 to pick up enough points from the remaining games...the problem is that TB keeps leaving our better players out.

The team vs THEM was awful to say the least. How anyone can think a midfield of midgets is a great idea is beyond me, how Collins started and lasted the 90mins was strange, Handling is also not ready and I really don't want to discuss the defence...

So, I think the below team should be given a shot. This gives us better balance in defence and going forward also adding some much needed strength and height in midfield! Defence is a hard selection as they seem very poor at the mo and will miss Hanlon big time.

Williams

Tudor-Jones......KT

Heff

This midfield would give better stability to the team. TJ can sit in front of our awful defence, pass to KT who can then play in our attacking players. The problem with the midfield against THEM was that it was so easy to get through. Tiawo and Stevenson both give effort but lack the ability to play in midfield IMO. I know Craig has been poor for us but if we play him behind the striker I think he could be good (in his actual position).

Thoughts?

____________Williams

Black--- Forster--- McGirven--- Baptie

____________Thomson

Watmore ____Stanton _____ Stevenson

__________Cummings
__________________Hefferman

Subs: Murdoch, Handling, Neilson, Harris, Beaton, Cairney, Tawio

When we have the ball - Black and Baptie would push forward with Thommo slipping in between the two centre halves.

easty
31-03-2014, 09:11 AM
I cant see any reason to persist with 4 a the back. We are conceding far too many goals. Considering the lack of chances we create going forward, and the defence opting to go long 4 times out of 5, we'd be as well going to to 5 at the back. Flood the penalty box and hope we can get through 90 mins without conceding a goal.

Depressing stuff like.

Hibby_CR14
31-03-2014, 09:21 AM
____________Williams

Black--- Forster--- McGirven--- Baptie

____________Thomson

Watmore ____Stanton _____ Stevenson

__________Cummings
__________________Hefferman

Subs: Murdoch, Handling, Neilson, Harris, Beaton, Cairney, Tawio

When we have the ball - Black and Baptie would push forward with Thommo slipping in between the two centre halves.

I think this leaves us vulnerable at the back and still looks to light weight in midfield. Would rather see Harris or Cairney playing instead of Stevenson as they give more going forward.

I like the look of Cummings, just not sure he is ready yet!

I here that that Black and Baptie are good but haven't seen them play, would be good to see them in the team. Do we not have a young CB we got from Spurs that is suppose to be alright as well?

Hibby_CR14
31-03-2014, 09:23 AM
I cant see any reason to persist with 4 a the back. We are conceding far too many goals. Considering the lack of chances we create going forward, and the defence opting to go long 4 times out of 5, we'd be as well going to to 5 at the back. Flood the penalty box and hope we can get through 90 mins without conceding a goal.

Depressing stuff like.

That's why I would put TJ and KT in to help out the guys at the back who are struggling big time. It would also allow the CB's to pass the ball out of defence rather than hoof it Nelson style every few minutes!!

Depressing when are Forster is a best attacking threat!

Brightside
31-03-2014, 09:28 AM
You need locked up if you think McGivern should be anywhere near that pitch again. We have very good u20 players who are country mile better football players than half the shower that played on Sunday. Get them in.

Borderhibbie76
31-03-2014, 09:51 AM
You need locked up if you think McGivern should be anywhere near that pitch again. We have very good u20 players who are country mile better football players than half the shower that played on Sunday. Get them in.

Couldn't agree more mate...McGivern is a bombscare...horrendous player who should be nowhere near 1st team...and dont get me started on Nelson. And that's just the defence...bad times indeed

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hibby_CR14
31-03-2014, 10:08 AM

Lol :) I think most of our team could do with being locked up.

Who is are best Under 21 CB? I can't deal with Nelson at the back any longer either.

easty
31-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Lol :) I think most of our team could do with being locked up.

Who is are best Under 21 CB? I can't deal with Nelson at the back any longer either.

:agree: If Nelson isnt going to lead the defence and have them organised then he doesnt bring anything to the side.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Names in a hat and draw them out.

TB clearly has no clue what our best team is and neither do I.

I'd still like to see a fair few youngsters get a go in the same game as they will all know how each other play but it seems I'm in the minority as a lot still think we need our 'experienced pros' to get us out this mess.

easty
31-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Names in a hat and draw them out.

TB clearly has no clue what our best team is and neither do I.

I'd still like to see a fair few youngsters get a go in the same game as they will all know how each other play but it seems I'm in the minority as a lot still think we need our 'experienced pros' to get us out this mess.

I agree with that, but if they're going to be included in the team and not show that experience then you're as well not using them.

NadeAteMyLunch!
31-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Never in my puff have I seen so many changes on a week to week basis, it's unbelievable. Literally 5 or 6 changes every single week. To think that ICT early season success was based on Butcher picking the same starting 11 every week. I'm sure they went 9 games in a row this season with the same 11? Night and day with his current technique of squad number Bingo. I only hope he pulls 'Two fat ladies' out his hat this week. We could try sticking them in defence.

Waxy
31-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Experience is just stuff that happened. Get the young team in now.

woodyloon
31-03-2014, 11:14 AM
I think TB needs to sit down with Malpas and pick what they think is the strongest starting 11, and stick with it, instead of making 5 or 6 changes at a time, it not pre season.

easty
31-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Never in my puff have I seen so many changes on a week to week basis, it's unbelievable. Literally 5 or 6 changes every single week. To think that ICT early season success was based on Butcher picking the same starting 11 every week. I'm sure they went 9 games in a row this season with the same 11? Night and day with his current technique of squad number Bingo. I only hope he pulls 'Two fat ladies' out his hat this week. We could try sticking them in defence.

Its the same as whats happening at Fulham. New manager has come in, doesnt really know what to do to get a bunch of poor players playing so makes too many changes all the time. It's working for them as well as it is for us.

Hibby_CR14
31-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Totally agree that we now need a settled team until the end of the season. I just don't think TB and MM have any faith in any of them including the ones they brought in (bat Watmore maybe).

How bad must Boateng be if he can't get in ahead of Nelson etc???

Is Robertson out till the end of the season? Could do with his energy/drive.

IanM
31-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Totally agree that we now need a settled team until the end of the season. I just don't think TB and MM have any faith in any of them including the ones they brought in (bat Watmore maybe).

How bad must Boateng be if he can't get in ahead of Nelson etc???

Is Robertson out till the end of the season? Could do with his energy/drive.

Boateng must be kicking himself to leave Arsenal when getting a game in (reserves/U21?) to sit on the bench and watch that garbage.. Give him a game, end of. can't be as bad as what we got..

the only thing thats got me is Butcher came in and said it's all about delivering balls into the box, where has that went?? when we started winning, Craig was whipping balls into the box every time he had the chance.. lets get back to that..

flash
31-03-2014, 11:30 AM
in my opinion i would revert to the team that was doing ok earlier as far as possible.

Williams

Forster
Nelson
McGivern
Stevenson

Cairney
Thomson
Taiwo
Craig

Stanton

Heffernan.

Not great but worth a try.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Williams

Boetang
Forster
Neslon
Stevenson

Watmore
Thomson
Stanton
Zoubir

Cairney or Craig

Heffernan

easty
31-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Williams

Boetang
Forster
Neslon
Stevenson

Watmore
Thomson
Stanton
Zoubir

Cairney or Craig

Heffernan

We'd lose even more goals with that team in my opinion. Zoubir is tatties.

easty
31-03-2014, 11:51 AM
in my opinion i would revert to the team that was doing ok earlier as far as possible.

Williams

Forster
Nelson
McGivern
Stevenson

Cairney
Thomson
Taiwo
Craig

Stanton

Heffernan.

Not great but worth a try.

I sort of agree. I'd like for Butcher/Malpas to decide what they want from Forster though. If they want a full back, keep him there, if they want a CB then keep him there.

I'd also have Collins in ahead of Heffernan.

flash
31-03-2014, 12:07 PM
I sort of agree. I'd like for Butcher/Malpas to decide what they want from Forster though. If they want a full back, keep him there, if they want a CB then keep him there.

Forster at right back is by default as there is nobody else- wouldn't throw a kid in right now.
Collins was my original choice just think Heff more likely to nick a goal.

number 27
31-03-2014, 12:48 PM

I find it baffling that anyone could still be wanting Collins in the side. I believe that if we put Forster up front he would perform better than Collins.

easty
31-03-2014, 12:57 PM
I find it baffling that anyone could still be wanting Collins in the side. I believe that if we put Forster up front he would perform better than Collins.

Ok then.

Diclonius
31-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Drop McGivern, drop Nelson, drop Collins. Permanently. They are not good enough for this club and should be punted immediately at the end of the season.

Heffernan should start up front as he clearly is the only player at this club who's capable of scoring once in a while. If Collins actually starts ahead of him then I'm sorry Butcher - I'm behind you but that is complete and utter tactical incompetence.

Stanton, Watmore and Stevenson should all start. I'd also play Cairney and possibly Craig as I genuinely believe there is a player somewhere.

As for the rest of the team - does it actually ****ing matter? We'll get pumped.

nribs
31-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Williams

Forster
Nelson
McGivern
Stevenson

Zoubir
Stanton
Thommo
Watamore

Craig

Haynes.

Load of Sh*te but Sh*te with a little bit of pace :greengrin

TheFamous1875
31-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Hopefully?

Williams.

Black. Forster. Nelson. Stevenson.

Thomson. Stanton.

Watmore. Cairney. Harris.

Heffernan.

Probably:

Williams.

Forster. Nelson. McGivern. Stevenson.

Taiwo. Stanton.

Cairney. Cummings. Watmore.

Collins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GreenLake
31-03-2014, 01:35 PM
The only thing certain is that our best team next year will have some players we are not able to name right now.

This year I am at a loss to pick one and Butcher seems to be too. It is strange because I thought I saw some signs of hope in a few games when he first arrived, but the last five games have been dismal and I can't remember anything much except how much I miss Robertson. I hope Steve Marsella is lining up some good candidates for picking this team up by the bootstraps.

However, mine now would be.

Williams
Cairney
Tudor Jones
Forster
Stevenson
Watmore
Stanton
Thomson
Harris
Cummings
Heffernan

TAHibby
31-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Not including any under 20's that haven't featured in the first team as I've never seen them play(would be happy to see them if Butcher decided to give them a go) but I would be interested to see something like...

Williams

Forster Nelson Hanlon Stevenson

Thomson Robertson

Watmore Stanton Craig

Heff/Collins/Haynes/Cummings

Relies on Craig hopefully playing more like he was earlier in the season. Don't have a clue what the best option up front is.

HIBERNIAN-0762
31-03-2014, 03:55 PM

Spot on 100%

B.H.F.C
31-03-2014, 04:03 PM
No doubt there will be another 4 or 5 changes to the line up as seems to be the case from week to week now.

He needs to find and field a fairly consistent team for the last 6 games. We are garbage but it's no coincidence that our best runs this season have come when we have a settled team. I don't expect us to come out against Aberdeen playing like Brazil but we need to use the extra couple of days to get a team properly prepared. Just get us shaped up and hard to beat like we were when Butcher first came in.

Oh, and we should maybe put our best players on the park.

MrRobot
31-03-2014, 04:05 PM
McGivern should never play for us again. Useless.

Steven_Hibs
31-03-2014, 04:07 PM

Forster with one leg would be better than Collins

lugz
31-03-2014, 04:09 PM
I'd bring Cairney back in for sure maybe dropping lewis back so McGivern can dissappear. Even just for his deliveries on set pieces, must have a few assists.

TheFamous1875
31-03-2014, 04:19 PM
I really think with Thomson and Stanton in the middle we could have a very, very good partnership there.

They looked good together yesterday with Thomson retaining the ball and Stanton getting forward and being supplemented by Harris and Stevenson on the wings.

After a few weeks out, Harris looked back to his old self which is how I think he should be deployed: sporadically. I really do think Thomson and Stanton together makes a lot of sense. It's worth a pop. As is Cairney playing in front of them behind the striker (whoever he is).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

greenpaper55
31-03-2014, 04:34 PM
The only way way we have a chance is if they are over confident and go into the game as if it is a stroll, if the yams can beat them twice surely we must have a wee chance of beating them, why am i saying this !.

R'Albin
31-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Williams

Black Forster Nelson Stevenson

Taiwo Thomson

Cairney Stanton Watmore

Heffernan

I

Paisley Hibby
31-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Forster with one leg would be better than Collins

Oh FFS! I wish folk would stop jumping on this bandwagon about Collins. It's childish, not clever and isn't helping anybody.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Williams

Black
Forster
Nelson
Stevenson

Harris
Thomson
Stanton
Cairney

Heffernan
Collins

That's about the best I can come up with. Worrying really as that's at least one player out of position and at least 4 would be nowhere near the kind of team I hope to see next season.

Boyle89
31-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Keep the ball on he deck for starters. Hoofball doesn't suit us one bit. It's half of the reason why we are so gash. Drop Nelson and McGivern and then we MIGHT have a chance. 1st half on the derby we created nothing from punting the ball up the pitch. End of the 1st half and into the 2nd we created chances by keeping the ball down. Not hard to understand.

1987kev
31-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Big Ben

Black. Nelson fingers cross for hanlon. Foster. Mcgivern

Thomson. Stevenson.

Watmore Harris

Craig

heff

Black has got to start never seen him play but if the lad is a rb then there is no other choice. Playing 2 natural wingers wi pace will help us. This is Craig best position in the hole between defence and midfield got a goal in him. No long balls from the back.

Hermit Crab
31-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Williams

Tudor-Jones......KT

Heff

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Tactics. lol.

scuttle
31-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Williams

Stevenson
MC Givern
Nelson
Forster

Thomson

Watmore
Stanton

Collins
Heff
Hayes

3 upfront 2 attacking midfielders and 1 able to pass the ball to the 3 strikers
Attack Attack Attack

calmac12000
31-03-2014, 05:57 PM
To be totally honest I was so disgusted at our performance yesterday, that I can't see us getting anything from Aberdeen. Unless, we play with an extra man.. The only realistic demand I have is the obvious one that HefferNan MUST play..:confused:

Aldo
31-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I have faith in Butcher to get it right for us in the long term however his team selection and tactics recently are very strange. We do have a rubbish squad but I feel we can put together a good enough 11 to pick up enough points from the remaining games...the problem is that TB keeps leaving our better players out. The team vs THEM was awful to say the least. How anyone can think a midfield of midgets is a great idea is beyond me, how Collins started and lasted the 90mins was strange, Handling is also not ready and I really don't want to discuss the defence... So, I think the below team should be given a shot. This gives us better balance in defence and going forward also adding some much needed strength and height in midfield! Defence is a hard selection as they seem very poor at the mo and will miss Hanlon big time. Williams Young right back..Forster....McGivern....Stevenson Tudor-Jones......KT Watmore/Harris....Craig......Stanton Heff This midfield would give better stability to the team. TJ can sit in front of our awful defence, pass to KT who can then play in our attacking players. The problem with the midfield against THEM was that it was so easy to get through. Tiawo and Stevenson both give effort but lack the ability to play in midfield IMO. I know Craig has been poor for us but if we play him behind the striker I think he could be good (in his actual position). The Heff has to start, Collins is just murder and seems to have 0 composure. Thoughts?

For a start I would have McGivern nowhere near the starting 11.

Williams

Young RB Nelson Forster Lewis

TT. KT

Watmore Stanton Craig

Heff

truehibernian
Williams

Stevenson
MC Givern
Nelson
Forster

Thomson

Watmore
Stanton

Collins
Heff
Hayes

3 upfront 2 attacking midfielders and 1 able to pass the ball to the 3 strikers
Attack Attack Attack

Love your outlook and I agree with that set up for all 6 games - 3 up top, all the way, set the mood and tone early and start worrying opposition managers. However I wouldn't have Ryan McGivern in the side, or James Collins.

Williams

Black, Forster, Nelson and Baptie

Thomson

Cairney Stanton

Haynes Heffernan Cummings/Watmore

That would be my starting line up for Aberdeen and the following games.

woodyloon
Keep the ball on he deck for starters. Hoofball doesn't suit us one bit. It's half of the reason why we are so gash. Drop Nelson and McGivern and then we MIGHT have a chance. 1st half on the derby we created nothing from punting the ball up the pitch. End of the 1st half and into the 2nd we created chances by keeping the ball down. Not hard to understand.

Totally agree, some of our best play yesterday was getting ball out wide on the deck.

Steven_Hibs
31-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Perntreou, Black, Gardiner, Wilson, Baptie, Smith, Horribine, Allan, Crane, Zoubir, Todd

Fast flowing, attractive, attack minded football

IberianHibernian
31-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Could we recall loan players before end of season or is that not allowed ? Caldwell doesn`t seem to be playing much but Booth is a regular for Raith .

Bobby's Cinema
31-03-2014, 08:56 PM

Depressing stuff like.
That's what Pat tried.

easty
31-03-2014, 09:08 PM
That's what Pat tried.

True, but I'd go further, I'd go 5 at the back. It's just not about what looks pretty and/or is entertaining right now. It's about getting the 3 or 4 points we'll need to stay away from 11th place. Pat had us really narrow across the back, the thought being that it would push the opposition out wide where they'd be crossing into a congested box where we'd have 2 centre half's and 2 full backs in there to clear. It gave the opposition too much time out wide though, but was (for the most part) more effective than our defence at the moment to be fair. 5 at the back would still give us 4 defenders in the box, but you'd have one of the full backs closing down the crosser too. Not that I know what I'm talking about! :greengrin

Ronniekirk
31-03-2014, 10:14 PM
For a start I would have McGivern nowhere near the starting 11.

Williams

Young RB Nelson Forster Lewis

TT. KT

Watmore Stanton Craig

Heff
Agree about McGivern he has just lost it That pass at last home game to Dundee United player that then set up there first goal was just incredible ,he wasn't even under pressure and there wasn't a hibs player near the guy He has gone from bad to worse in every game since

The_Horde
01-04-2014, 02:02 AM
Williams

Watmore Taiwo Thomson Harris/Zoubir

Stanton
Collins

we are hibs
01-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Williams

The current u20 defence

watmore
taiwo
thomson
stanton

handling
heffernan

With the ball being passed across the ground at every available chance. Lots of attacking play and a strong defence.

And if james Collins, Michael nelson and Ryan mcgivern start then we will get pumped. None of them should pull on a hibs shirt ever again.

The Harp Awakes
01-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Williams

Taiwo Thomson

Cairney Stanton Watmore

Heffernan

I

That's the team to play for me:agree: We need to make ourselves harder to beat and playing both Taiwo and Thomson would go a long way to doing that by protecting the back 4. With Stanton, Watmore and Cairney in midfield there's also a chance we could create some chances and Heff is the most likely one in the squad to take those chances.

MrRobot
01-04-2014, 03:41 PM
I would start Collins and Heffernan

Williams
Young RB Boeteng Forster Young LB
Thomson
Harris Stanton Watmore
Collins Heffernan

Subs:
Murdoch
Nelson
Stevenson