PDA

View Full Version : Relegation...

hibsbollah
30-03-2014, 04:36 PM
OK, I know there will be a terrible financial implication, but I actually want it now. It might finally stimulate some revolution at boardroom level and on the pitch. More importantly, I am more likely to regularly attend games, and new opponents would be refreshing, derbies and hun head to heads and some good away trips ive never done before. Lets face it, its no more embarrassing an outcome for the season than anything else we've had to tolerate over the last seven years.
I will never actively want Hibs to lose any game, but if it happened I'd probably secretly welcome it now.

matty_f
30-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Not for me, would 100% rather we stayed in the top flight and gave Butcher the time and money to rebuild there.

If we went down we could be there for years.

GreenCastle
30-03-2014, 04:40 PM
NO...just NO. :brickwall

Would be FATAL for the club - financially and for the supporters attending ER.

Such lack of ambition and LOSER mentality.

While the boardroom needs changed this is not the way to do it!!

neil7908
30-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I see where you are coming from...but nae chance.

Last time it happened we had a quality manager and a budget that allowed us to bring in the likes of Frank Sauzee to get back up straight away and challenge in our first season back in the SPL.

If the club as it currently stands goes down I could see us playing in League 1 in a few years in front of a couple thousand fans.

Sir David Gray
30-03-2014, 04:48 PM
I will never view relegation for Hibs as being a good thing.

How anyone can view relegation in a positive light is astonishing.

Relegation for us would be a nightmare. We would potentially be there for years as we don't have the same talent at our disposal that we had in 98/99.

We absolutely must stay in this league.

Onion
30-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Can we not just cancel the contracts of the first team and ask the SFA if we can replace them under the one-in one-out rule ? We could quote Heath & Safety as the reason - my health, our club's Prem safety :wink:

hibsbollah
Not for me, would 100% rather we stayed in the top flight and gave Butcher the time and money to rebuild there.

If we went down we could be there for years.

Do you trust the board to GIVE Butcher the necessary money Matty? And will we ever target the right players? And the phrase 'rebuilding' just leaves me cold now, its all been said before. We'll try to mould the team round another De Graff or Liam O'Brien or Alan O'Brien. Same old pish.

dave62
I'd like to agree with you but we simply couldn't afford to go down, and with Hearts, Zombie Huns, Dundee in the Championship there's no guarantee that we'd come straight back up the way we'd did the last time.

Would be nice to rebuild away from the glare but unfortunately this team's going to have to grow up in public.

Keith_M
30-03-2014, 04:52 PM
No thanks.

I can see no positive whatsoever in relegation. The only reason we came straight back up the last time with such ease is that the club threw lots of money at the manager. It was relatively easy to outspend every other club, something that would not be true next season. I also see no evidence that it would change anything at boardroom (or ownership) level.

GreenCastle
30-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Do you trust the board to GIVE Butcher the necessary money Matty? And will we ever target the right players? And the phrase 'rebuilding' just leaves me cold now, its all been said before. We'll try to mould the team round another De Graff or Liam O'Brien or Alan O'Brien. Same old pish.

Yes but making things even worse (relegation) with less income isn't the solution.

Change can take place if the fans work together to force it - otherwise we just continue to sit back and be shafted while moaning on here and at games.

hibsbollah
30-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Change can take place if the fans work together to force it

Again, I think we've danced this dance before. For all our good intentions LWT is making not a bit of ****ing difference

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 04:59 PM
After all of our gloating towards THEM, relegation would be nothing short of a disaster. An unthinkable one.

Us being relegated is the best thing that THEY can hope for.

Keith_M
30-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Again, I think we've danced this dance before. For all our good intentions LWT is making not a bit of ****ing difference

Sadly I agree. The things up for discussion at such meetings will not be the removal of the current board, the change of direction in leadership or the succesion of ownership from Tom Farmer to whoever's next.

hibsbollah
30-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Sadly I agree. The things up for discussion at such meetings will not be the removal of the current board, the change of direction in leadership or the succesion of ownership from Tom Farmer to whoever's next.

:agree: Exactly.

Steve20
30-03-2014, 05:04 PM
I'd hate relegation. But we are going down. The players couldn't even put in a decent derby performance. They're a disgrace.

steakbake
30-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Funny, that. Harness the discontent for some low level access to the club = less avenue for fan protest.

Can't stand another season of mediocrity. This club is punching so far below it's weight, it's can't be down to chance.

We need change at the top, we need to get tougher, aim higher and that starts with the summer clear out.

GreenCastle
30-03-2014, 05:08 PM

I never said it was the way forward - it seems that it is a tick box exercise to keep the fans at bay.

AndyM_1875
30-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Relegation in 1998 cost Hibs the best part of £3m.
Lets not go there again.

We are 6 points clear of St Mirren who occupy the play off position and if we get 6 points from 6 games we should stay above them. I still think we'll do just enough to avoid a Play Off with Dundee or Hamilton.

Baldy Foghorn
30-03-2014, 05:16 PM
OK, I know there will be a terrible financial implication, but I actually want it now. It might finally stimulate some revolution at boardroom level and on the pitch. More importantly, I am more likely to regularly attend games, and new opponents would be refreshing, derbies and hun head to heads and some good away trips ive never done before. Lets face it, its no more embarrassing an outcome for the season than anything else we've had to tolerate over the last seven years.
I will never actively want Hibs to lose any game, but if it happened I'd probably secretly welcome it now.

How anyone could welcome relegation is beyond me......We have to start making our voices heard, that the Board and Club Staff are not doing their jobs properly........

emerald green
30-03-2014, 05:20 PM
I will never view relegation for Hibs as being a good thing.

How anyone can view relegation in a positive light is astonishing.

Relegation for us would be a nightmare. We would potentially be there for years as we don't have the same talent at our disposal that we had in 98/99.

We absolutely must stay in this league.

100% agree with this. :agree::agree::agree::agree: Relegation would be disastrous for our club as I've repeatedly said on these forums. How any Hibs supporter can think it would be good for the club in any way is beyond belief. We MUST stay up. Apart from the damage done to our club's reputation and status (what sort of players would we be able to attract to that backwater league?) the financial implications would be horrendous. IMO we could go into a vicious downward spiral. We would not be able to buy our way out again like Sevco, and it will be interesting to see how long homfc stay down. A very long time I hope.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-03-2014, 05:22 PM
If we got relegated, we wouldn't come back up first time around. Thats for sure.

hibsbollah
30-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Relegation in 1998 cost Hibs the best part of £3m.
Lets not go there again.

We are 6 points clear of St Mirren who occupy the play off position and if we get 6 points from 6 games we should stay above them. I still think we'll do just enough to avoid a Play Off with Dundee or Hamilton.

This is what its come to. We're desperately hoping for '6 points from 6 games' against the worst teams in the league and saying it like its a good thing. Jaysus.

Ronniekirk
30-03-2014, 05:24 PM
OK, I know there will be a terrible financial implication, but I actually want it not bough ww. It might finally stimulate some revolution at boardroom level and on the pitch. More importantly, I am more likely to regularly attend games, and new opponents would be refreshing, derbies and hun head to heads and some good away trips ive never done before. Lets face it, its no more embarrassing an outcome for the season than anything else we've had to tolerate over the last seven years.

Thought we were confident if we stay up T B has players lined up who will make us top 4

PeeJay
30-03-2014, 05:25 PM

Trying hard to fathom out the reasoning behind your post, but I'm as clueless as Hibs were today ... so what do you reckon then, the further down we go the better we might become eventually? What would your ultimate goal for the club be: maybe even to stay down, if it's such good fun?
Maybe you're thinking a "clean slate" will enable us to start all over again and we could do it right this time - but with our board/people in charge, is that likely?
Maybe a few whiskies will get me to the level you are on: what are you drinking? Mine's a Laphroaig ... I can never pronounce it properly until I've had a few

hibsbollah
30-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Trying hard to fathom out the reasoning behind your post, but I'm as clueless as Hibs were today ... so what do you reckon then, the further down we go the better we might become eventually? What would your ultimate goal for the club be: maybe even to stay down, if it's such good fun?
Maybe you're thinking a "clean slate" will enable us to start all over again and we could do it right this time - but with our board/people in charge, is that likely?
Maybe a few whiskies will get me to the level you are on: what are you drinking? Mine's a Laphroaig ... I can never pronounce it properly until I've had a few

I cant explain my thinking at the best of times :greengrin but ive spelt out some reasons in the OP; probably misguided but there you go. Revolution is the only way that things will change at the club. I want a new Hibs. If I had any confidence that continued 'premiership' membership would see us suddenly watching better quality players next year then that would be something, but I don't. We'll very likely be watching garbage next year whatever league we're in.

Oranje39
30-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I posted something very similar on another part and I agree with the OP. Very sad.

PeeJay
30-03-2014, 05:41 PM
I cant explain my thinking at the best of times :greengrin but ive spelt out some reasons in the OP; probably misguided but there you go. Revolution is the only way that things will change at the club. I want a new Hibs. If I had any confidence that continued 'premiership' membership would see us suddenly watching better quality players next year then that would be something, but I don't. We'll very likely be watching garbage next year whatever league we're in.

I understand the frustration and I think major changes have to be made at the club as you suggest - probably at the very top, but that seems unlikely. My wife keeps telling me to ditch Hibs and support Bayern: that's even more unlikely - even after days like today ... :greengrin

AndyM_1875
30-03-2014, 07:04 PM
This is what its come to. We're desperately hoping for '6 points from 6 games' against the worst teams in the league and saying it like its a good thing. Jaysus.

That's exactly what it's come to unfortunately. Every one of the bottom 6 sides is absolutely rank rotten.
Hearts by a stretch are the worst. But our form is in free fall.

Right now we need to get 2 wins from matches with Ross County, Partick, Hearts, Killie and st Mirren.
That will see us safe. We won't get anything from Aberdeen a week tomorrow even though its at home

lucky
30-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I doubt we will go down and hoping and praying we don't. But if we do go down it will be years before we are back. Hibs have struggled for the last 7 years and relegation would drive us to the edge. But we certainly look like a club in free fall.

30-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Lets not turn into hearts and suddenly start saying things like aww we don't care about going down and making out its a good thing. It would be a total embarrassment, not to mention very hard hitting on our finances. I see where the OP is coming from but no, we have to stay in the top flight and rebuild from there and build a team that can cope with bigger oppositions like celtic, aberdeen, dundee utd etc not a team that gets used to playing against the likes of Morton etc.

And i'm sorry but to accept getting relegated is kind of a weak, looser mentality. Finishing in the relegation spots should be seen as nothing other than a catastrophic failure and embarrassment, it is absolutely not where we should be at.

Michael
30-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Why on earth would you want relegation? Changing personnel at board level isn't going to achieve anything. Would you rather have someone like Vlad in charge?

The reason we're not any good is because we don't have any good players! And if we go down we'll have even worse players.

If we stay up we I'm confident we'll be better next season. Look what Butcher did with Inverness.

happiehibbie
30-03-2014, 07:29 PM
I agree with the OP as I feel we need to take a step back to let the board and STF see how far we have fallen. We have been rebuilding for more years than I care to remember TBH am fed up with it now.

However Rangers, Hearts Hibs being in the same league would send shivers down Doncasters spine and don't think the Premier league would let it happen I actually think they have a disaster Plan in place because thats what it would be a complete disaster.

I really want to be in the PL next season but STF and RP need to get behind our management team and buy BIG

hibsbollah
30-03-2014, 07:41 PM
If the club as it currently stands goes down I could see us playing in League 1 in a few years in front of a couple thousand fans.

No chance in my opinion. We have a hardcore of circa 6000-7000 that will turn up whatever they're served up. Plus the 12, 000+ that we'll get for derbies and der Hun. That's what will see us through the hard times; proper fans who have invested far more money in this club, relative to their income, than Tom Farmer ever has.

calmac12000
31-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Whilst I have been increasingly worried about the possibility of relegation since the turn of the year, I have no doubt whatsoever that it would be a footballing and financial disaster for Hibernian F.C.
That being so, I worry about whether this squad of players has the bottle or indeed the ability to save themselves. Whilst, I struggle to understand some of the Butcher's decisions and team selections, I think the vast majority of the blame should be directed elsewhere. God alone knows where we'll be next year if we go down!