PDA

View Full Version : East Mains?

johnrebus
30-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Looking back, we have been pretty much ***** since this place was opened.

Suggest we sell the ****ing place for houses and get the, 'players', back training on public parks dodging glass and dog *****.

The place is a waste of money and drain on already thin resources.

:boo hoo:

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Not the training grounds fault.

Pete
30-03-2014, 04:27 PM
There's squatting going on there too.

Mediocre players out.

johnrebus
30-03-2014, 04:28 PM

Perhaps not. But what is the point in it when it costs so much to maintain?

If public parks were good enough for the likes of Stanton, Edwards, Latapy and Sauzee..........,

:dunno:

Scorrie
30-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Exactly. Doesnt seem to be doing our under 20s or EOS teams any harm. Trouble is we have gash first team players who would still be gash even if they trained at the Nou Camp and a senior management team i am beginning to have serious reservations about.

Pretty Boy
30-03-2014, 04:33 PM

If public parks were good enough for the likes of Stanton, Edwards, Latapy and Sauzee..........,

I'd assume all the things we can do at the training centre costs a comparable amount, if not less, than hiring each of those facilities on an as we need it basis.

Unless we do a Hearts and just don't bother paying for our facilities.

eggbamyasi
30-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Jesus not the training facilites fault pish again !!!!!!! Honestly do you realise how stupid that makes you look ?!?!?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

GodisaHibee
30-03-2014, 04:39 PM

Suggest we sell the ****ing place for houses and get the, 'players', back training on public parks dodging glass and dog *****.

It is a TOTAL mystery to me and everyone I speak to, just what the ****** happens up there. We have been terrible ever since it opened.

Is it TOO easy for the so called Hibs Team? Well, there is no Hibs team. it's a total rebuild.

Sir David Gray
30-03-2014, 04:42 PM
I have no idea what they do on a daily basis but it's hardly the fault of the training centre.

It was a great investment by the club and it was badly needed.

These players would be garbage regardless where they trained about.

ManBearPig
30-03-2014, 04:49 PM
load of shiate! I cant believe people actually think adequate training facilities are to blame!!! (you think all the succesful teams play at cooncil parks. idiots.

admin bins these nonsense threads once and for all!

Ronniekirk
30-03-2014, 04:54 PM
I hear T b puts on a great spread with tea cakes and chat .maybe needs to ditch that and get back to drilling in tactics and taking shots at goal as we won't score without doing that We can rely on defence scoring headers every third or fourth game .

johnrebus
30-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Jesus not the training facilites fault pish again !!!!!!! Honestly do you realise how stupid that makes you look ?!?!?

Many thanks for your kind words.

Lucky for me I don't give a **** what you think........,

:greengrin

johnrebus
30-03-2014, 06:17 PM
load of shiate! I cant believe people actually think adequate training facilities are to blame!!! (you think all the succesful teams play at cooncil parks. idiots.

admin bins these nonsense threads once and for all!

Yeah, make a list of all the threads you don't like and we'll ask Admin to bin them.

:na na:

ManBearPig
30-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Yeah, make a list of all the threads you don't like and we'll ask Admin to bin them.

:na na:

check my posts this is my first real annoyance. its ridiculous people think EM is to blame.

johnrebus
30-03-2014, 07:00 PM
check my posts this is my first real annoyance. its ridiculous people think EM is to blame.

Am not saying East Mains is to blame, am saying its is a complete waste of money.

:cb

ManBearPig
30-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Am not saying East Mains is to blame, am saying its is a complete waste of money.

:cb

you said we were **** since EM was built therby directly linking it to our downfall in results. whether money could be spent better elsewhere is arguable. other clubs spend less and do better..

Northern Hibby
30-03-2014, 09:11 PM
It ain't actually EM's fault, it's a building, but something is missing from pre EM to post EM, as I said in an earlier thread it's not something that I can put my finger on.

Northern Hibby
30-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Are we fitter than pre EM........NO
Are we a more cohesive unit......NO
Do we seem tactically more aware.No
Has our ball control improved....NO
Has our passing improved.........NO

Viva_Palmeiras
30-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Red herring.

Fergies blueprint for Man Utd did not involve dismantling united's academy. And their fall from grace has nothing to do with it either.

Why should it be be any different with Hibs?

I do accept it's a bit remote from the local community but that does or should mean there are no distractions or excuses for not focusing 100% on football.

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 09:27 PM
It ain't actually EM's fault, it's a building, but something is missing from pre EM to post EM, as I said in an earlier thread it's not something that I can put my finger on.

I'll get shot down for this, but "coaching". I would give the U20s coaching team a shot with the main squad and see how it goes.

30-03-2014, 09:30 PM
It's not the training ground, it's whats going on inside it and the players we are putting into it. Whether there training in a state of the art complex or down the local park the bottom line is if the players are not good enough then the outcome is gonna be pretty much the same.

Although, having said that, we do have a habit of turning decent SPL players like Liam Craig for example into poor players.

Northern Hibby
30-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Was man u academy pre or post Fergie?

scoopyboy
30-03-2014, 09:33 PM

I'll give you East Mains and raise you Easter Road.

We can't play well on that so lets put houses on that as well.

ManBearPig
30-03-2014, 09:34 PM

pre but was expanded hugely by fergie. also his scouting network was quadrupled

stevejordan
30-03-2014, 09:39 PM
i have been to East Mains and the place is superb no reason to blame the facility that is on offer for our failures something else is to blame

Viva_Palmeiras
30-03-2014, 09:41 PM

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8698530/sir-alex-ferguson-to-retire-this-summer-manchester-united-confirm

On his resignation he talks about the structures in place for future success. Why wouldn't any ambitious club look to see if they could learn from that?

Whether it was pre or post Fergie is irrelevant - he acknowledges the importance of excellent training facilities certainly not demanding dismantling.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Every game we loose theres always an 'East Mains' thread, boring.

Jones28
30-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing

johnrebus
30-03-2014, 11:12 PM
I'll give you East Mains and raise you Easter Road.

We can't play well on that so lets put houses on that as well.

What a great reply.

Must have taken you hours to think that one out.

johnrebus
30-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing

Yes it is.

The point, which most people on here seem to miss, is that it is a complete waste of ****ing money.

Phil D. Rolls
30-03-2014, 11:19 PM

Its too far from the city, and means new players aren't connecting to the club. It's like someone hearing they're coming to Edinburgh and ending up in Livingston.

I think the training facilities should be at the ground, and be part of making players take ownership. As it stands, it's too much like they could be at any club.

SouthamptonHibs
31-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Holiday club, plunge pool massage rooms etc let's bin it and get tae Wardie! Too good for our ***** players

scoopyboy
31-03-2014, 06:57 AM
What a great reply.

Aye about as long as it took you to think up a thread that's been done to death.

IWasThere2016
31-03-2014, 06:58 AM
It will be invaluable to us when we're in the First Division next season. As will the East Stand. Both added to the cost base at the expense of the team .. Unless (somehow) we spend on the team and play some decent football, we will have running costs that are too expensive in proportion to income. Ever decreasing circles as long as we do not get it right ON the park..

Jones28
31-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Yes it is.

The point, which most people on here seem to miss, is that it is a complete waste of ****ing money.

So it would seem.

But at the time and even now IMO, it was and is seen as a terrific idea and an integral part of our infrastructure. I still think it will be in future too.

Phil D. Rolls
31-03-2014, 09:19 AM
So it would seem.

But at the time and even now IMO, it was and is seen as a terrific idea and an integral part of our infrastructure. I still think it will be in future too.

Evidence so far is that it isn't what it was cracked up to be.

Twa Cairpets
31-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Are we fitter than pre EM........NO
Are we a more cohesive unit......NO
Do we seem tactically more aware.No
Has our ball control improved....NO
Has our passing improved.........NO

So, your idea is that a bunch of players who seemingly under a string of managers somehow manage to get worse at these skills through having, in order: a gym, a central base, a facility for match analysis, and surfaces suited to "good" football? You seriously think this is a worse state of affairs than where we were?

You can't compare the abilities of players before EM and after as you can't compare the same players.

Anyone seriously calling for the closure of EM and a return to running round Arthurs Seat needs to jump into their deLorean and head off back to the eighties.

Twa Cairpets
31-03-2014, 09:30 AM

So is your concern that it costs too much or isn't making the players better, or is it just a bit of a rant?

As for "...the likes of Stanton et al...." you're as well asking why if 2-3-5 was ok for Reilly then why don't we do it now. Times change

easty
31-03-2014, 10:06 AM

:wtf:

johnrebus
31-03-2014, 12:52 PM
:wtf:

:tumble:

easty
31-03-2014, 12:55 PM
:tumble:

Your point was...........pointless.

So what if Stanton, Sauzee, etc trained on public parks? George Best played well after a bevvy, should we be happy for our players to do that, cos it worked for Best?

Jones28
31-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Evidence so far is that it isn't what it was cracked up to be.

It's not the training centre at fault, it's the players using it.

patlowe
31-03-2014, 02:21 PM
What a great reply.

But it's a fair argument is it not? There are many things that we spend money on and invest in to take us forward as a professional football club, including the training ground, the stadium, the pitch, training gear, the pictures on the walls etc etc etc. These things might not guarantee us success and we could theoretically cut back on any of them but you wouldn't because it is about the long-term progression of the club and its status. Other clubs would kill to have the facilities we have.

Also, what would you do with the money saved on the training ground? Have our youngsters learning the game on public parks, having training cancelled because of the weather etc, all so we can maybe sign an extra player every so often? And if the additional investment in the squad is squandered (bearing in mind that we have outspent the majority of the SPFL to very little success over the last few years) - then what?

Is this a wind up?

Calum68
31-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Anyone know the current market value of the EM's facility?

If it had a decent value we could sell it and put a 4g surface down at Easter road. Training could be held at ER and players start to feel at home there rather than a once a week visit. Also would give us a decent surface on which we could play football.

eggbamyasi
31-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Anyone know the current market value of the EM's facility?

If it had a decent value we could sell it and put a 4g surface down at Easter road. Training could be held at ER and players start to feel at home there rather than a once a week visit. Also would give us a decent surface on which we could play football.

Seriously ? Lmfao . This thread has huge comedy value . Do you honestly think the players when asked why were playing so **** any of them think ....... I just dont feel at home . Training is too far away !!!! Honestly ! . Its not a waste of money . You dont build an amazing training facilities and instantly you have an amazing team !!! Its great foundation for the future and we will defo see that for future generations .
our problems are player related and change of managment ! this EM thing is just hilarious .

eggbamyasi
31-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Many thanks for your kind words.

Lucky for me I don't give a **** what you think........,

Its not what I think about your comments john . Its what other people looking in think lol mildly embarrassing ;-)

DH1875
31-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Aye, its ALL the training grounds fault :(

shetlandhibee
31-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Aberdeen were training on my old teams pitch at the start of this season and they seem to be doing ok!

silverhibee
31-03-2014, 11:16 PM

I don't think we can do that.

FitbaFolkKen
31-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Yes it is.

How is our Under 20 team doing?

Thomson
01-04-2014, 07:34 AM
I have also noticed that we have been ***** since the opening of EM, and the new east, and the widening of the pitch. I have spoke about this with many different people and agree that the widening of the pitch has caused more damage than either of the buildings. Am i right in thinking that the pitch was widened by 4m? I personally, and several others, think that this is the reason we have been caught out on many, many, many occasions. I don't think it is the training center.

greenpaper55
01-04-2014, 08:02 AM
The fact that the opening of our training centre and the demise of our team started at the same time is undeniable, i have said before that something smaller and that cost less and is usable by the community and nearer home would have been my option but we have what we have and it must be better than S*** covered parks. The point i'm making is that EM had a cost that has been detrimental to the quality of the players we can bring in, that and the cost of the new stand are ongoing millstones round the clubs neck. I would surmise that the thinking would be if you build a superb facility then you will produce superb players! only an accountant with little football knowledge would think that !. The result is we are having to buy players some of who are not worthy of pulling on the famous green due to our cost base nothing more nothing less, in our league even bad managers can get by if they can bring in a decent level of player, others can we can't. The bizarre thing is if we ever got relegated could we afford to run EM ?, it might have to be offloaded to keep the whole thing running, bad planning from those at the top are to blame for the sorry mess we find ourselves in.

IWasThere2016
01-04-2014, 08:10 AM
The fact that the opening of our training centre and the demise of our team started at the same time is undeniable, i have said before that something smaller and that cost less and is usable by the community and nearer home would have been my option but we have what we have and it must be better than S*** covered parks. The point i'm making is that EM had a cost that has been detrimental to the quality of the players we can bring in, that and the cost of the new stand are ongoing millstones round the clubs neck. I would surmise that the thinking would be if you build a superb facility then you will produce superb players! only an accountant with little football knowledge would think that !. The result is we are having to buy players some of who are not worthy of pulling on the famous green due to our cost base nothing more nothing less, in our league even bad managers can get by if they can bring in a decent level of player, others can we can't. The bizarre thing is if we ever got relegated could we afford to run EM ?, it might have to be offloaded to keep the whole thing running, bad planning from those at the top are to blame for the sorry mess we find ourselves in.

This. Players are concerned about their wage/terms - and little else.

greenpaper55
01-04-2014, 08:19 AM

This is true, again at this point in time we can bring in certain players that we can afford due to our ongoing costs of mortgages etc, anyone out there know what these costs are compared to our income , maybe i'm talking rubbish and not for the first time :dunno:

easty
01-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Aberdeen were training on my old teams pitch at the start of this season and they seem to be doing ok!

Charlie Chaplin did pretty well out of those silent films. Why did they ever bother with making films with actual voices? Ears are overrated.

The Gorf
01-04-2014, 09:48 AM

Train out at Riccarton. Apparently it's free to use.:cb

Twa Cairpets
01-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Which is fair enough - being concerned about your remuneration doesn't make you a bad person. But people are also interested in their working environment. I spend an inordinate amount of time in my job going around factories in the industry I am in. People working in the well maintained, well invested, safe, clean and secure facilities are, generally, happier and more productive than those who work in S***holes.

EM is a correlated circumstance to our current position, not a causative one. You could make an argument that had we not had EM, then the poor players brought in under a succession of managers would have performed more poorly than they did.

IWasThere2016
01-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Which is fair enough - being concerned about your remuneration doesn't make you a bad person. But people are also interested in their working environment. I spend an inordinate amount of time in my job going around factories in the industry I am in. People working in the well maintained, well invested, safe, clean and secure facilities are, generally, happier and more productive than those who work in S***holes.

EM is a correlated circumstance to our current position, not a causative one. You could make an argument that had we not had EM, then the poor players brought in under a succession of managers would have performed more poorly than they did.

No, I'd make an argument - as I did at the time, and did again with the East, that resources would have been better deployed on the team and trying to build the fan base. An argument that holds true now more than ever.

We are in a mess - a mess the Board created and clearly has no remedy to it.

Twa Cairpets
01-04-2014, 10:17 AM
No, I'd make an argument - as I did at the time, and did again with the East, that resources would have been better deployed on the team and trying to build the fan base. An argument that holds true now more than ever.

What you wanted to have happened doesn't negate the argument that there is a case to be made that the players we did get after the spend was made may have been better than had they not been at EM.

I think there's a long term huge benefit in EM. The old East needed replaced, no doubt, and while the new one is too big, I agree, it wouldn't have presumably been meaningfully cheaper to have put in a couple of thousand fewer seats..

greenpaper55
01-04-2014, 10:23 AM

More poorly !. :faf:

Twa Cairpets
01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
More poorly !. :faf:

I did expect that someone would respond like that when I typed it...

But yes, more poorly. Maybe EM gave us the extra few points we needed to be above the Pars, I dunno. And neither do you.

greenpaper55
01-04-2014, 10:42 AM
I did expect that someone would respond like that when I typed it...

But yes, more poorly. Maybe EM gave us the extra few points we needed to be above the Pars, I dunno. And neither do you.

Aye, EM played a blinder that night to relegate the pars !.

Twa Cairpets
01-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Aye, EM played a blinder that night to relegate the pars !.

C'mon now, don't be a fud.

greenpaper55
01-04-2014, 11:42 AM
C'mon now, don't be a fud.

You seem to come on here and try to be objectionable to anyone who disagrees with your argument, you even pulled me up on another thread about using the phrase "the powers that be" as you thought it was servile, what are you some kind of thought police ?. As for calling someone a "fud" it is so childish, maybe the Mods should have a look at you.

Twa Cairpets
01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
You seem to come on here and try to be objectionable to anyone who disagrees with your argument, you even pulled me up on another thread about using the phrase "the powers that be" as you thought it was servile, what are you some kind of thought police ?. As for calling someone a "fud" it is so childish, maybe the Mods should have a look at you.

Jeezo.
Tell me, until you descended the discussion into the absurd, where I've been objectionable on this thread?
And you're right, I don't like the phrase "the powers that be" for precisely the reason you recall. Am I not allowed to have this view?
I think Fud is rather good term for posting the response you did. Childish, maybe, but captures the nuance nicely
The admin pricks are free to do with me as they will.

johnrebus
01-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Train out at Riccarton. Apparently it's free to use.:cb

I wish I had said that.......,

FitbaFolkKen
01-04-2014, 02:04 PM
East Mains has seen a marked improvement in how our under 20's have performed. With the current squad sitting top of the league, it was never about instant results and if it helps the progress of our youth team so we can produce youngsters of higher quality then it is money well invested.

There are lots of things to be unhappy about, but our stadium and training centre are not two of them.

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Our problem is that we have a) a world class stadium and b) training facility, and c) a public parks class football team.

Here's a suggestion: let's not worry about a and b, and concentrate on improving c.

Kato
01-04-2014, 02:17 PM

Players with character and a decent manager to guidee them. Put your finger right there.

Mikey
01-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Jeezo.
Tell me, until you descended the discussion into the absurd, where I've been objectionable on this thread?
And you're right, I don't like the phrase "the powers that be" for precisely the reason you recall. Am I not allowed to have this view?
I think Fud is rather good term for posting the response you did. Childish, maybe, but captures the nuance nicely
The admin pricks are free to do with me as they will.

Discussing it without the insults would do for starters :wink:

Twa Cairpets
01-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Discussing it without the insults would do for starters :wink:

Fair doos.
But fud is such a good word....:greengrin

Mikey
01-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Fair doos.
But fud is such a good word....:greengrin

Perhaps next time you should call him a cad or a bounder :cool2:

Eyrie
01-04-2014, 05:59 PM

All that would have meant is that we'd have paid higher wages to crap players. A succession of managers have spent their budget badly, and as a result we have performed worse than clubs who have far less money available for wages.

Next season we will have the third largest wage bill in the SPL, so let's spend that money wisely rather than complaining it's not enough to compete with Ross County, Partick Thistle and St Mirren.

sesoim
01-04-2014, 06:09 PM

Petrie has been chairman for that whole seven years so maybe it is more to with what he is doing?

easty
01-04-2014, 06:16 PM

We had the resources to deal with the training ground and the new stand, and we used then rightly, in my opinion.

Say I came into a bit of money, my kitchen needs redone (it really does, anyone want to give me some money??). I'd use the money I got to do the kitchen. I could, I suppose, not bother with something like that and instead go out and buy a few years worth of a better standard of food than my humble self is used to, to cook in my old scabby kitchen. That might bring me a few years happiness, or it might not, there's no guarantee, in the end though I'd still need to find that amount of money again to redo the kitchen.

As far as analogies go, I'll admit it's not great, but it kind of fits.

Eyrie
01-04-2014, 06:28 PM
We had the resources to deal with the training ground and the new stand, and we used then rightly, in my opinion.

Say I came into a bit of money, my kitchen needs redone (it really does, anyone want to give me some money??). I'd use the money I got to do the kitchen. I could, I suppose, not bother with something like that and instead go out and buy a few years worth of a better standard of food than my humble self is used to, to cook in my old scabby kitchen. That might bring me a few years happiness, or it might not, there's no guarantee, in the end though I'd still need to find that amount of money again to redo the kitchen.

As far as analogies go, I'll admit it's not great, but it kind of fits.

The analogy works better if you're a crap chef that buys the wrong ingredients rather than investing in a decent kitchen and some training :wink: