PDA

View Full Version : Willo Flood

Ozyhibby
30-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Tom English said on Sportsound that we missed out on Flood by £500 a week. That's £26k over the season.
How many multiples of £26k has it cost us?

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 04:22 PM
How much more did we need to offer to get Rooney?

Pretty Boy
30-03-2014, 04:24 PM
How much more did we need to offer to get Rooney?

English said on the radio it wasn't 'significant' amounts that cost us either player.

Not sure how much I believe though as Butcher has denied we were ever really in for Rooney. Unless he's been told to say that after we missed out of course.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 04:25 PM
English said on the radio it wasn't 'significant' amounts that cost us either player.

Not sure how much I believe though as Butcher has denied we were ever really in for Rooney.

Is that not like asking a lassie out, getting a kb then saying I didn't fancy her anyway?

Ozyhibby
30-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Not sure how much I believe though as Butcher has denied we were ever really in for Rooney.

Because he was so focussed on getting Haynes?

Pretty Boy
30-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Because he was so focussed on getting Haynes?

Wasn't meant as any kind of defence.

If we weren't in for Rooney then we should have been.

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 04:29 PM
I've no doubt it is true - Petrie peed off Falkirk by trying to raise the Taylor fee by £25,000 at a time. Still, we got Barry Lavety instead :aok:

SteveHFC
30-03-2014, 04:32 PM
I've no doubt it is true - Petrie peed off Falkirk by trying to raise the Taylor fee by £25,000 at a time. Still, we got Barry Lavety instead :aok:

Plus we offered CSKA Sofia £20,000 for Sheridan :faf:

Diclonius
30-03-2014, 04:33 PM
This can't be true - we always back our manager! It's an open secret, don't y'know?

J-C
30-03-2014, 04:36 PM
I've said before do you want 10 decidedly average players at £2k a week or 5-6 pretty good ones at £4k, adds up to the same amount of money spent.

lugz
30-03-2014, 04:43 PM
A lack of ambition cost us along with keeping a clueless manager at the start of the season. It annoys me so much that aberdeen flung a bit of money at it this season and they are 2 games away from completing the double while battling for 2nd.

Us on the other hand.....

eggbamyasi
30-03-2014, 04:43 PM
He wanted rooney on loan not fully signed . He said that about four times . ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Saturdays Hero
30-03-2014, 04:52 PM
I've said before do you want 10 decidedly average players at £2k a week or 5-6 pretty good ones at £4k, adds up to the same amount of money spent.

We've no even got 10 average players,don't be surprised by 2days defeat it's not just 2day but the shipping of 3 goals to a Raith team that hadn't scored in five games sums up everything about our squad,list is endless gutless,clueless,spineless....Fenlon's got plenty to answer for signing Nelson,McGivern,Twaio on long term contracts !

Fife-Hibee
30-03-2014, 04:53 PM
He wanted rooney on loan not fully signed . He said that about four times . ?

Why did he only want him on loan tho! Cant get my head round this.

eggbamyasi
30-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Imo I think hes got such a big job rebuilding the team in summer he doesn't want to patch it up in january . Also money etc prob wants to keep as much as possible for summer . Rooney could have fitted in well in january but possibly not in the vision he has for next season .just guess work from me but I beleive thats why . He could have signed mabey three players in jan but they wouldnt necessarily fitted with whos avaliable in summer or how he wants to play team next season . For aberdeen he fitted in nicely to the squad mcInnes already had . Unlike our messed up squad it would have been a panic / quick fix buy who mabey wouldnt fit with what he wants and taken a big chunk of wages for summer .

Fife-Hibee
30-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Imo I think hes got such a big job rebuilding the team in summer he doesn't want to patch it up in january . Also money etc prob wants to keep as much as possible for summer . Rooney could have fitted in well in january but possibly not in the vision he has for next season .just guess work from me but I beleive thats why . He could have signed mabey three players in jan but they wouldnt necessarily fitted with whos avaliable in summer or how he wants to play team next season . For aberdeen he fitted in nicely to the squad mcInnes already had . Unlike our messed up squad it would have been a panic / quick fix buy who mabey wouldnt fit with what he wants and taken a big chunk of wages for summer .

Hope your right mate !

rcarter1
30-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Agree with this. I don't know exactly how Hibs operate wages wise, but there have been lots of noise about wage caps etc.

For years there have been arguments about the sense or otherwise of having some bigger earners at the club. It is for me one of the reasons why Rod Petrie has failed the club badly. I don't think he has any understanding of how to build a football team - i.e. the blend of youth/stead eddies on the lower wages with a few leaders and stars on higher wages. It has been argued that this causes division within a squad. I don't think this would be the case if the 'stars' are clearly a cut above and lead by example. The young guys will be inspired to reach their level, and the steady eddies generally know where they fit into things. I can't think of any policy that RP has implemented (if this is indeed a RP policy) that is as detrimental to our functioning as a football club.

Weststandwanab
30-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Tom English said on Sportsound that we missed out on Flood by £500 a week. That's £26k over the season.
How many multiples of £26k has it cost us?Lucky escape there.

Is that not like asking a lassie out, getting a kb then saying I didn't fancy her anyway? It is

Plus we offered CSKA Sofia £20,000 for Sheridan :faf: An even luckier escape

I've said before do you want 10 decidedly average players at £2k a week or 5-6 pretty good ones at £4k, adds up to the same amount of money spent.Yes but it is an eleven man team game.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk I think you may be correct here

J-C
30-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Agree with this. I don't know exactly how Hibs operate wages wise, but there have been lots of noise about wage caps etc.

For years there have been arguments about the sense or otherwise of having some bigger earners at the club. It is for me one of the reasons why Rod Petrie has failed the club badly. I don't think he has any understanding of how to build a football team - i.e. the blend of youth/stead eddies on the lower wages with a few leaders and stars on higher wages. It has been argued that this causes division within a squad. I don't think this would be the case if the 'stars' are clearly a cut above and lead by example. The young guys will be inspired to reach their level, and the steady eddies generally know where they fit into things. I can't think of any policy that RP has implemented (if this is indeed a RP policy) that is as detrimental to our functioning as a football club.

Can you imagine the young lads at Liverpool, Man U etc moaning because Persie etc are all on big wages

Kaff
30-03-2014, 05:45 PM
I think TB needs Richie Foran on board, a man in the changing room and on the pitch that knows exactly what he wants, maybe Lasley from Motherwell be similar? That sort of character would be worth paying that bit extra

J-C
30-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Lucky escape there.

It is

An even luckier escape

Yes but it is an eleven man team game.

I think you may be correct here

It's a squad game, or am I missing something. We've signed how many crap players on 1.5-2k a week and it's got us nowhere, lets get in better players for that money, 10 at 2k = 5 at 4k

fife hfc
30-03-2014, 06:30 PM

:agree: Biggest problem we have. We have one of the biggest budgets wages wise in the league but one of the poorest squads why?

ancient hibee
30-03-2014, 07:42 PM

As you say-you don't know how we operate wage wise.In fact Petrie has said a number of times at AGMs and in the press and once to me that the player budget is for the manager to spend.It's his choice whether he spends low on individual players or more on fewer.Transfer fees are a different matter.Incidentally Tom English is jusxt another journalist and what he says is not always correct.

The Sea-gull
30-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Long believed we have lost out on several players in the last few years by being unwilling to offer that extra few hundred per week. Something to ponder, for all Petrie gets credit for running a good financial ship, how much has he lost the club by failing to invest adequately in the team and this seeing more and more choosing not to turn up every week.

lucky
30-03-2014, 07:50 PM
McPake and KT must be the big earners at ER and both will be away in the summer. Along with the others TB will have a decent budget to play with.

Crazyhorse
30-03-2014, 08:02 PM
As you say-you don't know how we operate wage wise.In fact Petrie has said a number of times at AGMs and in the press and once to me that the player budget is for the manager to spend.It's his choice whether he spends low on individual players or more on fewer.Transfer fees are a different matter.Incidentally Tom English is jusxt another journalist and what he says is not always correct.

Its true Petrie does say that and I have spoken to him too. The question is who is really doing the wage negotiations though? Perhaps Petrie 'interferes' a lot more than he lets on.

Finbar
30-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Tom Farmer has always been about getting value for money from what I've heard about him. I think he sees footballers the same way he sees tyres, why pay more for a brand name, top of the range tyre when you can have a value tyre for half the price. Tyre's a tyre after all.

Mr White
30-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Tom Farmer has always been about getting value for money from what I've heard about him. I think he sees footballers the same way he sees tyres, why pay more for a brand name, top of the range tyre when you can have a value tyre for half the price. Tyre's a tyre after all.

I'll confidently say that tom farmer has no more say on hibs signing policies than you or I do.

Brooster
30-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Petrie's contract negotiations are downright embarrassing. Weve lost out on dozens of players who have been blown away by our facilities but have laughed and walked away as soon as Petrie starts talking cash.

Finbar
30-03-2014, 08:36 PM
I think that's the culture at hibs at the moment though. And the evidence of my own eyes tells me that we sign an awful lot of average players. And managers for that matter.

Steven_Hibs
30-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Butcher wanted Rooney on a permanent deal but the board wouldn't sanction that, they preferred a loan move. Simple fact was, we couldn't afford him

lucky
30-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Butcher wanted Rooney on a permanent deal but the board wouldn't sanction that, they preferred a loan move. Simple fact was, we couldn't afford him

Not according to Butcher, it was him that wanted a loan deal. The board were never mentioned.

Dr Jimmy
30-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Blah blah blah....petrie what a guy, built a stadium...blah blah blah......WAKE THE **** UP PEOPLE HE IS THE COMMON DENOMINATOR.....HE IS THE PROBLEM.....PETRIE GET TO ****...!!!!!!

SneakersO'Toole
30-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Not according to Butcher, it was him that wanted a loan deal. The board were never mentioned.

He told the press that so that it wouldn't cause an uproar with the support. But it isn't the truth.

Steven_Hibs
30-03-2014, 09:03 PM

Really?

"The 25-year-old was also wanted by his old Inverness gaffer Terry Butcher but the Hibees boss admitted the Easter Road side couldn’t rustle up enough cash to fund a move."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/aberdeen-close-finalising-deal-adam-3053146

Mentions it on stv site too,

"Aberdeen look to have edged out Hibernian in the race to their striker target, with Terry Butcher suggesting the capital club can’t compete financially to land him."

The next again day butcher was hauled into the office and told,"you can't say things like that"
Then he changed his statement saying he wasn't in for Rooney after all.

Greencore
30-03-2014, 09:04 PM
I think TB needs Richie Foran on board, a man in the changing room and on the pitch that knows exactly what he wants, maybe Lasley from Motherwell be similar? That sort of character would be worth paying that bit extra
Really agree with getting foran in the squad...

Jonnyboy
30-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Petrie's contract negotiations are downright embarrassing. Weve lost out on dozens of players who have been blown away by our facilities but have laughed and walked away as soon as Petrie starts talking cash.

And therein lies the problem :agree:

Our wage bill is big because we've got so many players on the staff.

Criswell
30-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Lucky escape there.

It is

An even luckier escape

Yes but it is an eleven man team game.

I think you may be correct here

I am not really sure where you are coming from? Are you trying to be ironic, funny, or what? We are talking about the club losing out on players due to a misguided obsession with bean-counting.

If ever there was such a thing as a false economy this mind-set is it. If we want a better quality of player at the club then we will have to pay for it.

silverhibee
30-03-2014, 09:51 PM

It was widely suggested on here that we would be bringing in better than Rooney this summer.